GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of GUBNA Imperial IPA Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

The brewery calls this a 'hop grenade in a can' - while it certainly lights up the glass with eruptive orange highlights, its head is a complete dud. Its golden complexion is plenty vibrant, despite the slight haze, but I've no doubt that it would have looked more becoming if only the fuse for the frothy white foam had properly detonated.

The aroma can be conveniently summed up as follows: tangerines with bad body odour. This has its fair share of citrus but it's all very dank and clammy. A lot of people have likened the aroma of Summit hops to onions but the closest thing to that I smell is a sugary, caramelized onion kind of scent coming from the malts, not the hops.

It makes more of a 'stank' than it does a bouquet and that is partly because there is such an exposure of raw alcohol. And that nail polish remover-like musk is only compounded in the taste - 10% alcohol seems a modest estimate. For a beer that has no shortage of distinguishing features, the alcohol still manages to be perhaps its most prominent.

Along with the solventy, tongue-blistering heat of the alcohol, each sip brings to the palate a breadth of both hoppiness and maltiness. Lightly-biscuity, considerably toasted malts impart a fair serving of caramelized sweetness... that is promptly torn down by razor sharp alpha acids and more of the dank tangerines and clammy citrus.

'Pungent' is a fair word to use; 'flavourful' is a matter of opinion. The brewery boasts that the beer contains only three malts and one variety of hop; although complexity of character can arise from simple elements, it didn't in this case. The rye and dark malts are heroically underwhelming and the bitterness is unpleasantly acrid.

GUBNA carries itself with that John Wayne attitude - it epitomizes all the rugged, brazen, larger-than-life ideals of an American icon. That being said, it's no surprise that such a burly and obnoxious 10% beer has polarized people the way this one has. You ask me, as far as the ideal American DIPA: this GUBNA isn't the right man for the job.

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour down the middle of the glass yields a one inch, foamy white head that dissipates steadily leaving some lacing rings. Pours a translucent yellow. Leaves occasional islands of lacing.

Smell: Predominantly citrus, along with some mild herbal notes, some grape, and a little onion. The big citrus smells quite good.

Taste: My first reaction was "!?" This is bold and savory, tasting primarily of onions and weed. There's a hint of orange at the end. Not much malt until very deep in the glass, when some toasted flavors come out at the end. 100 IBUs overstates the actual detectable bitterness in the beer, but it has a decent amount of bitterness.

Another tough to grade beer. The hops in this DIPA are big and showcased. The beer delivers the full flavor of the ingredients. At the same time, it doesn't taste great, and it's certainly not very refreshing. I bet it would be awesome to cook with.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and creamy. Pretty delicate actually; I like it a lot.

Drinkability: While the alcohol is well-masked and the feel is great, this is not the flavor I want from an IPA.

It's a very hot day, and I would have loved some (D)IPA refreshment. The smell said: that is what I will give you. The taste said: wouldn't it be funny to make beer out of green onion and marijuana?

I have to admit, this beer is enjoyable if only because it's making me laugh. Also, despite the strange flavor, it's a truly well-made DIPA. Great feel, strong hops flavor, smells good, looks good. Still, if 100% Summit hops in a well-made IPA yields onions and weed, I vote that you put some different hops in the beer.

3.57/5  rDev -6.5%

Canned 4/30/10

A: Nice, clear gold. Forms a large white head that reduces down to a rocky surface coating and a large ring around the edge. Copious lacing.

S: Loads of pine and grapefruit waft from the can as I pour this beer into a tulip. Very aromatic.

T & M: Sweet pale malt on the front end moves to a light grapefruit and citrus bitterness with some floral notes, fades, then a punch to the face with fusel alcohol spice. Holy shit this one is hot; practically burns the inside of my mouth and the alcohol just sits there.

D: eh, not so sure about this. Flavor and aroma are pretty good, but the alcohol is overly aggressive and not at all well hidden. It's like I want to keep coming back for more, only to be punished for it.

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

12oz can served in a shaker pint. Poured a slightly hazy gold with less than a finger of white head. Piney hops in the aroma also a bit of a vegetal smell. More piney hops in the flavor with some malt sweetness. Medium bodied. Some onion flavors come through which are attributed to the hops. Drying finish. Pretty easy drinking at 10% but I wouldn't want a bunch of these.

The first time I tried a sample of this, the onion was overwhelming. I enjoyed the full serving much more, but I can see how people would be put off by the flavor.

2.61/5  rDev -31.7%

Thanks to Ohoove for this highly unique offering. A nice clear amber color with a modest off-white head and good lacing coats the glass. The aroma is a unique rhubarb apple vinegar, odd skunky prune and olive wierdness. It finally hit me that it smells like pearled onions! Wow. I mean OW! Can't say I like it but it really makes me wonder WTF it could possible taste like (not this I hope). The flavor is an intense sweet potatoe turnip and floral perfume in a near full bodied brew. Tangy intense swampiness with a herbal hop bite. It's sort of bright with relatively fine, full carbonation, full bodied and viscous and hard to ignore. But I doubt I will ever buy more of this. Give them credit for a quality feel and a different sort of brew. But this might be a drain pour for some. Just not too delectable and certainly not a session beer.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Canned a month ago, this pours a golden/orange color with a rocky white head.

Lots of grassy notes in the nose. Pine, orange peel... sort of like Orange Crush. Smells fairly over-the-top which is a good sign for a IIPA.

Very piney, grassy and huge pineapple notes. If I didn't know better, I would think this is a poor man's Oracle. There are some veggie aspects though... red salad onions to be precise. There is a bunch of sweetness to this too... hot, melted caramel comes to mind.

High carbonation in this yields a crisp, prickly mouthfeel. At 10% you can hardly pound this down, but as an IIPA, it's pretty much in line.

As much as this beer gets railed on, and justly so for it's ridiculous $16/4-pack price tag, this wasn't anywhere near as bad. Perhaps it's the fact that it's pretty fresh, or perhaps I'm an idiot... but I'm looking forward to finishing the pack.

A- A clear orange liquid with a craggy white head with decent retention. Leaves some nice lacing.

S- Pine, caramel, alcohol, and grapefruit. Aromatic and tempting.

T- Sweet caramel and pine. There is a bit of pineapple and fruitness at the tail end.

M- Lasting bitterness, but the sweetness comes back and keep this in check.

D- A sweet, but enjoyable take on the style. The alcohol is well hidden. Stands out, but doesn't blow me away.

1.59/5  rDev -58.4%

Truly one of the worst craft brewed beers made out there.

Golden yellow, thin white head.

Floral and meaty smell. It does smell like pork.

Thick, meaty, hops way too bitter, boozy, sweet.

This is like a grain alcohol, hops, and pork slurry. Must be what pork soda is.

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured out of the can this DIPA is a hazy copper orange color with a nice off-white head that has some pretty decent stick.

Smell is somewhat mild for the style however, there are definitely some citrus notes along with hops and malty undertones. Aroma is on the maltier side for a DIPA.

Taste has a big orange/citrus kick up front complimenting the hops nicely. Big maltly backbone backing it all up.

Mouthfeel is thick with a good low level carbonation.

I could easily drink a few of these and wind up being in trouble.

Morey's Bottom Line: The boldest beer that this geek has had out of a can to date. An above average, yet not quite elite DIPA.

3.38/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a can into a Chimay goblet. Canned on 3/22/10.

A- pours an amber/orange huge with nearly no head...the slight head disappears almost instantly. Disappointing.

S- despite being 2 months old, the hop aroma is still very strong. I'm getting a lot of...maybe oranges? Tangerines? I'm not used to this scent with an IPA, but its a nice change of pace.

T- its a very interesting taste...I don't think I've had anything quite like this before. There is a good bit of bitterness that comes with the hops, which are mostly of the same orange/tangerine flavor I got from the smell...there is also some grapefruit in there. I'm not really sure how I feel...its definitely a unique flavor, I'm not totally sure if its a good thing or not. Upon another sip, I got a burst of alcohol...thats disappointing.

M- there is a syrup quality to this that I don't like...kinda hard to get down.

D- I wouldn't call this very drinkable. The hops are strong, and the alcohol really starts to show through as you continue to drink. Also, that mouthfeel...ugh. Wouldn't buy again, and I'm starting to think Oskar Blues just isn't for me.

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

The can pours a hazy golden amber body with a small bone white head. Decent retention and some scattered lacing.

Aroma is sharp and pungent. I get a dose of wild onions underneath grassy, herbal, and earthy notes.

Mouthfeel has a unique acrid bitterness that is disconcerting. Otherwise, medium in body and carbonation.

Taste has a sharp and aggressive hop bitterness that is almost medicinal. A hint of malty caramel is just an afterthought and does little to balance. There is almost a raw ginger character that takes your breath. Finishes dry, earthy, and rough. Alcohol, at least, is concealed very nicely.

Hops here are rough and raw. This one comes off as unsophisticated and nearly undrinkable. An interesting effort from a brewery whose other products I greatly enjoy.

3.28/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance: Great deep golden color with an orange hue. Nice head formation with great retention. Pretty much perfect looking DIPA to me.

Aroma: Right off the pour I got an intense orange/tangerine aroma similar to orange soda. This beer doesn't have the classic citrus of the lemon/grapefruit type. After sometime that disappeared and some onion and garlic aromas began to come out but they were not super intense. There is a little dankness as well. Overall, I like the aroma but it faded fairly quickly. Swirling didn't produce nearly the original intensity as the beer warmed up - which normally works for me.

Flavor: The flavor has much more of the onion/garlic and less orange fruitiness. The resin and hop bitterness is not as intense as you might expect for a beer like this. In fact, the beer seems to have a decent amount of smooth caramel like sweetness to it. What really jumps out though is the alcohol. This sucker really tastes like the 10% it says on the can. It's a clean alcohol but there's a lot of it...

Mouthfeel: Fairly high carbonation gives it a very crisp but full mouthfeel at first and negates some of the sweetness noted later. Definitely a slightly burning alcohol that impacts the drinkability.

Overall: As I drink this beer I'm can't help thinking that it seems like a really cool but ultimately unsuccessful single hop experiment. I really liked the orange character that I was getting at first in the aroma but I tasted too much onion/garlic to make the flavor really enjoyable. In the end, this is why you blend hops - to get a more balanced beer with a variety of flavors and aromas. I learned a lot about the character of Summit hops but I guess you have to be careful how you use them. I'd recommend trying it once to decide for yourself. It's certainly a well made beer but doesn't have the right balance and complexity for me to buy another.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to beerwolf77 for letting me sample this beer.
12oz can poured into standard pint.

A-Pours a nice golden orange. A small half finger worth of head that dies down quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

The big burst of hops turns into strong onion like many on here have said before. It is different but not in a bad way, unless you don't like onions. There also seems to be a small amount of grape juice hiding behind all that.

T- The onion smell that is so prevalent in the nose pretty much disappears. A mellow amount of hops and an underlying sweetness is all I can really pick out.

M- Medium bodied that has just the right amount of carbonation and is slightly dry on the finish.

D- If you can get over the aroma, it is a solid beer. If you can't get over it, you are going to have problems with this beer.

2.67/5  rDev -30.1%

First off nobody should ever brew an all Summit hopped anything, this brew was an onion/garlic bomb that really started to offend me while I was drinking it. Poured a clear amber hue with a bright white head formed fine even lacing down the sides of my glass. Aroma was bursting with fresh cut green onions it almost made my eyes water, shar earthy garlic spiciness kicks in as well. Biscuit malts slip through and let you realize there's some malt balance going on. Flavor was just rough for me, blast of strong booze from the highe abv, minimal hop bitterness a bit sweet actually, but the hop flavors that came through didn't sit right with me green onion and garlic in my beer doesn't work, well maybe if it was Mama Mia's Pizza Beer. Mouthfeel is rough as well alcohol doesn't go down smooth I don't like a burn with my DIPA. This one sears the nose hairs, carbonation was moderate and body was fuller no a bit resinous and oily with the Summit additions. Drinkability overall too much booze and onion/garlic Summit hops to equate to a good experience for me, not my cup of tea. I will stear clear based of this one can.

4.02/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours bright apricot with slight clarity. Little bubbles float within here and there. The initial 1 finger fizzy white head dissolves pretty quickly, but a good amount of sticky white spots of lace hang around along with a bit of swirly white skim on top.

Really interesting aroma in this beer. I don't get to have a 100% summit beer often. The scent is very herbal and most reminiscent of fresh basil. It is earthy and leans more toward the simcoe side of things than the centennial, but not as skunky.

This beer is so hoppy it makes me tongue feel slightly numb. The hops are herbal and earthy and a little green appley, but the toasted, bready and rye malts really shine in the flavors. Alcohol is quite prevalent, making the aftertaste much tastier than the actual initial flavors. Feel is bright and carbonated while being weighed down slightly by the sticky, slick, sappy undertone.

Drinkability isn't outstanding, but it is tasty and bold. I like the unique exclusive use of this hop, which makes this beer like nothing I've had before. For the price I wouldn't be stocking my fridge with it, but I'm glad I got a chance to have a can.

4.59/5  rDev +20.2%

Drank straight from the can - gasp!

A: As such, I can't comment on the appearance.

S: Obviously, very hoppy. But not pine-hoppy - this is all grapefruit-hoppy.

T: Wow - this truly is exceptional. So well-balanced for an imperial IPA. I have a feeling some of the hard-core BA's may say this isn't bitter enough for an imperial. However, it is downright delicious and I was shocked to see it was 10% ABV!

M: I would classify as medium-bodied.

D: This is definitely one of the most drinkable imperial IPA's I've ever had. I could have a couple of these in a sitting, which I would certainly classify as sessionable for an imperial IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz. can poured into my CCB tulip.

A: Orangish yellow color. The pour drops a quarter off white head that hangs around and leaves some spotty lace.

A: Hop juice. Orange and pineapple with a syrupy maltiness. Sweet honey and pine sap with notes of caramel and ethanol.

T: 2 row and crystal malt try and balance the citrus and pine hops. Notes of pineapple and mango with honey and more alcohol. Finishes rather dry with an alcohol heat.

M: Medium body, decent carbonation. But a little oily and slick on the palate.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is just a touch low. The alcohol is not well hidden once this comes to temp. Overall, a pretty solid example of a DIPA. Skal.

2.53/5  rDev -33.8%

Appearance: Murky looking orange body. Thin and tight layer of cream colored head. Lacing is pretty full.

Aroma: oily hop resin, onion, garlic...

Flavor: Caramel/toffee base of malt. Hops impart grundgy and oily flavor. Resiny. Also onion and garlic. Really not that good. Bitterness is almost nonexistent. Weird aftertaste.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Slick and oily feel. Lightly carbonated. Full body. A little sweet actually. Surprising.

3.82/5  rDev 0%

Pours a lucid gold with a fuzzy off-white head that becomes a sheen, then a ring within minutes. A few bubbles rise slowly, struggling to the surface as if through syrup.

In the nose: strawberries, sticky weed and super resinous pine. A distinct funky onion character mixes with soil-laden truffle and grapefruit flavors. Very interesting.

Not as bitter as I expected from the nose. Actually pretty sweet. Very piney, with a bit of bright grapefruit. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden for 10%, noticeable only by a building warmth in my chest. That oniony character rears its head again, but I kind of dig it.

Mouthfeel is almost syrupy, like I expected. Satisfying full-bodied, smooth and buttery over the tongue. Low carbonation rounds it out.

Gubna's actually not a bad DIPA, and I'm actually semi-fond of the much-maligned oniony flavor imparted by its summit hops. The price tag, however, is way too high to inspire me to seek out another can. It's good, but not $16 per six-pack good.

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

12 oz can from jonesy713.

Appearance: A gentle pour still has the frothy white head trying to overflow my tulip. The beer is orange-gold and perfectly clear. 20 minutes after pouring, the head is still 1/2 there and nice lacing has formed.

Smell: Pure onions! No, not really. Not getting the onion thing. Just pine, citrus, and dope with a little spiciness. Smells like its going to be sweet.

Taste: Hoppy pine and weed. Slightly caramelly maltiness. Bitter though the middle, but finishes more sweet and pretty clean.

Mouthfeel: I like my DIPAs on the sticky, syrupy side, so this one is damn good for me. Resiny and coating. Appropriate carbonation.

Drinkability: Overall, I really like this beer. Its not a top tier DIPA, but I really enjoyed it. Sorry to all of you who think this tastes like onion or garlic-- sucks to be you.

4.23/5  rDev +10.7%

12oz can served in a tulip glass.

L - chill hazed brassy color with a fluffy white head that stayed as a cap leaving pretty lacing behind.
S - citrus rind.
T - blast of citrus rind, grapefruit upfront with the rye malt taste becoming noticable before finishing with citrus bitterness.
F - medium bodied with a smooth feel.
D - drinkability is good but the 10% abv will kick your ass in a hurry.

4.07/5  rDev +6.5%

Clear, golden in color with about a 1/2" head that dissipated soon after pouring. The clarity revealed fewer bubbles than expected, which also disappeared quickly. A very potent aroma of citrus, pine, floral and alcohol wafted up from the glass/can soon after pouring. There are flavors of orange and other citrus fruits, with a prickly mouthfeel followed by the warmth of 10% a.b.v. This is not a mouth-puckering IPA that just resonates with dry, resiny hops. It's much lighter in body and brings citrus flavors. After letting it warm up a bit more on an 85 degree evening, it showed a creamier texture and some baked bread flavors. This would be a great food beer--Thai comes to mind.

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. can poured into a tulip glass

A - Beautiful golden-orange hue; the head is small and there's a decent amount of lacing

S - Grapefruit and woody malt with a touch of peach

T - Very bitter from the second it touches the tongue, Gubna is an impressive blend of piny and citrusy hops. A small amount of honey and woody earth appears before being obliterated by the cat urine finish and an impressively lasting aftertaste. As it warms, this sweetness grows, but it's still heartily outmatched by the delightfully bitter end.

M - Crisp, abrasive, and refreshing.

D - Hops should be a fixture in your nightly dreams before attempting to down more than one of these. If this is true, and it is of me, this stuff is very drinkable.

After having alleged DIPA Double Crooked Tree last night, this hop bomb was just what the doctor ordered. Apparently a polarizing beer, Gubna is right up my alley. Keep on doing what you're doing, Oskar Blues!

2.98/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One of the nice cans sent to me by StormKing47.

A- Nothing impressive about the appearance. Average sized head with some typical IPA stickage. The beer is a deep gold.

S- The smell is nuts. Sometimes I dont know if its good or just plain strange. Its very strong. It stings the nose and makes your eyes water. Hefty notes of dried onion powder, potato peals, citrus, pine and pollen.

T- The dunkel malts show up here for sure. There is a little bit of that meat tenderizer as I like to describe it that is found in black IPAs. There is more oniony stuff and flower pollen.

M- Slick mouthfeel with average carbonation.

D- This is kind of a strange beer. Im glad I got to try it and see what all the fuss is about.

3.4/5  rDev -11%

The hotly debated can makes it to Albany! Thank you to Westmere for cutting me a deal on 1 can because more than 1 would have broken the bank ;)

A: Nice coppery clear body. A pretty vigorous pour creates a head that dissipates away leaving just thousands of bubbles in the glass.

S: Really strong hop profile that consists of citrus, pine, and weed.

T: Has a sweet but bitter taste that is relatively balanced to me, probably by the amount of malts needed to boost this one so high. Could also be that by the time the can got to upstate NY, its been a short while. Bitter at the end leaving a sticky weedy finish in your mouth.

M: medium bodied, I found it to be smooth up front with a pretty bitter ending.

D: Not the greatest but good. Not terribly drinkable due to ABV and PRICE!! I'm pretty sure those things are correlated though.

GUBNA Imperial IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew