GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

pDev: 15%
Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).

(Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
jamdugan

Oregon

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

This is a unique DIPA. Kudos for doing an all Summit IPA. They rye is a nice addition, I'm guessing it's about 10% rye in the grain bill. It gives the beer a spicy flavor and smooth mouthfeel. I love summit hops, but for me the sweetness distracts from the hops. Lowering the abv to 8-9% might help to dry this beer out, and smooth the alcohol burn. Nice effort, but it needs to be refined a bit.

03-27-2010 04:58:26 | More by jamdugan
squaremile

Oregon

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Drinking a can that is 11 days old. Looks neon yellow coming out of the can but is a true golden orange. Smell is like if you put your face in a barrel of fresh hops. Taste exactly matches it. It's really bitter to be sure, but not punishing. Its seriously like chewing on a summit hop cone, and I don't mean that as a figure of speech. Really resinous. That's really what it is like. Slight alcohol burn adds a nice touch at the end. Finish is pretty dry. This is definitely unique.

EDIT: Had another can from this batch. The aroma has died considerably, as have the hops. Now there is an astringent bitterness, some onion flavors in the aftertaste that take away from the experience. Drinkability now is much lower.

03-27-2010 04:09:59 | More by squaremile
djbreezy

Washington

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Brewed 3/15/10. 11 days fresh.

appearance - poured with a massive 3 finger head that begins to fade away as it sits, a decent orange/amber in color

smell - resinous hops on the nose with some malt/caramel tones

taste - tastes very much like the smell, the hops are strong, very characteristic of a west coast ipa, finishes with a balance of malt

mouthfeel - medium light with some respectable body and creaminess

drinkability - this is a great ipa, the hop flavor is amazing, it's not a session beer

03-27-2010 03:52:53 | More by djbreezy
olympuszymurgus

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

looks illustrious and distinguished - a golden child of the can. grapefruits and apricots dominate the aroma and, though they are still present in the flavor, there is a thuggish sweetness that makes me feel uncomfortable. like i might get asked to play a game of 1 on 1. look, i'm trying to drink a beer here. too much on the sweet side, let's let the yeast do what its supposed to, dry it out, lessen the grain bill, let those summit hops shine on.

we'll try this again in the future...

which gives this beer a slight upgrade for new nobility. Look, I like sitting drunkenly in a Caterpillar as much as anybody, but I still take the Gubna's orders.. more to come ..

03-27-2010 02:33:19 | More by olympuszymurgus
jzeilinger

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a clear golden to light amber color with a nice thin layer of a white creamy head. The foam sticks to the side of the glass like wallpaper. (if you can imagine that) Has a medium amount of carbonation, but unlike other beers I've seen, the carbonation starts from the sides of the glass ascending upward as opposed to originating in the bottom of the glass - unique.

The aroma is unique, more so than any D-IPA I've encountered. I'm not at all impressed with the aroma as it has a vegetable/grassy type of smell up front. Get some citrus and pine tang but it plays a back seat to the weird vegetable smell. I may need another can of this on another day to make sure my nose isn't playing tricks on me. Other than that, I'm not detecting much more.

Taste is exceptional and certainly makes up for the lackluster aroma. Flavor is a little herbal, hoppy citrus, pine, some pineapple, and a slight malt backbone. The sip starts out with primarily citrus rinds, maybe a little pine, moves into a peppery/spicey middle, then finishes with the citrus rind that was apparent in the beginning. Finishes semi-dry, and has some booziness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth and I have to say, I was very surprised by the velvet sensation on the tongue, very nice. The ABV warms the throat a little bit.

Drinkability could run dangerously high with this beer but given it's potent alcohol volume, I had to dial back the points a little bit.

Hey, I'm not complaining, this is a darn fine Imperial IPA. Is it worth all the hype it's received over the past few months? The jury is still out on this one since it's only my first can. However, I can tell already that I'll enjoy the rest of the case. Definitely worth checking out.

ADDENDUM:
One week later since my reveiw and I have to say I like this stuff more and more as I work through the case. It's by far the spiciest IPA I've ever had and I'm really impressed Oskar only used one type of hop. I need to grab another case of this before it's gone for another year.

03-27-2010 02:04:51 | More by jzeilinger
CosmoHopHead

Kansas

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

First, thanks to my buddy Bruce for sending me this hop bomb.

Poured into a Bell's snifter

A: light to medium gold in color with a decent 1/2 inch off white head. Thick lacing on the glass as I drank it down.

S: interesting on the nose. must be the all summit hops. piney mixed with heavy grapefruit and orange.

T: tastes like it smells. huge hop bite to it. pierces the back of the tongue. the malts are there but mostly just hops. tastes a little bittersweet. almost like candy grapefruit.

M: feels oily and sticky in the mouth. good carbonation

D: very drinkable for %10 abv but could easily sneak up on you when drinking a 4 pack.

Would absolutely recommend every hophead try this one. Price is a little steep but you probably only need 1 4 pack anyway. Cheers!

03-26-2010 22:53:03 | More by CosmoHopHead
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz can into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear amber body with a finger of dense tan foam. decent retention and some spotty lace. Nice.

S: Overwhelmingly resinous, herbal (cannabis) hop aroma, without much else at all. Maybe a bit of spice, and a definite touch of cat piss. According to my drinking buddy, "it smells like a cat pissed in my bag of weed." Not bad, but not the best.

T: Nice herbal hops up front, with a solid caramel malt sweetness as well. Some booze on the bitter, sticky finish. Pretty tasty.

M: Smooth, but a bit undercarbonated.

D: High alcohol + low carbonation + cat piss = not the most drinkable DIPA, but it's tasty enough that I really can't complain.

Notes: I was really excited to try this one, as I love both DIPAs and Oskar Blues. How could this go wrong? It was definitely a solid beer, but I wasn't a huge fan of the all-summit hop bill. Oh, and $15/4-pack is ridiculous. At least TenFIDY is an amazing example of its style - this is just so-so.

Cheers!

03-26-2010 22:11:04 | More by woosterbill
photomike

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours brilliantly clear gold with a pure white head standing at one inch. Average head retention and only some sticky lacing leaves this beer looking only "good."

Smell is very interesting. Peaches, rosemary and cinnamon can be found in the scent on a background of catty hops. A small hit of caramelly malt suggests a bit of sweetness.

Taste doesn't disappoint, and I've heard a lot of expression of disappointment surrounding this brew. Peaches, rye and a lot of herbally, dank hops. Crystal malts (though these are not really expressed in the very pale color of the beer), more cattiness, and a wallop of alcohol on the finish when the beer approaches room temp.

Quite hot, especially at room temp, but with a nice and creamy low level of carbonation. Finishes surprisingly clean, without a lot of residual oiliness.

This beer is pretty refreshing and an easy drinker, but there's a lot of odd hop flavors going on here that require attention to be appreciated. I think I'd like another variety or two of hops in here to complement each other and make this a more delicious beer. As it stands, this is an unbelievably interesting IPA, but that's not enough to get me to shell out 4 bucks a can consistently.

03-26-2010 02:22:17 | More by photomike
therica

Maryland

3.8/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pink Grapefruit in a can-- the scent literally blew me away as I was pouring it. But the overall impression is that this is a failed attempt to mimick the success of their superior Dale's Pale Ale with a more over-the-top version.

A= very clear deep golden, decent white head which settles quickly to little more than a rim. Not much carbonation activity visible.

S= seriouly huge pink grapefruit, I'm not getting the pine that others either mention or complain about. This was like sticking my nose into a freshly cut pink grapefruit.

T= pink grapefruit but a bit unbalanced for my preferences, almost too sweet and out of balance. The only feature that's in balance here is the modest amount of carbonation. Up-front too-liquor taste. Not all that bitter in my experience, I'm surprised that it pulls a 100IBU. Just really pink grapefruit, liquor and then the malts which don't seem to match. The malts seem to create more of an off-putting stale dusty flatness.

My overall impression of the taste is something like squeezing an entire pink grapefruit out into buckwheat or rye bread batter and dumping in a shot of whiskey.

M= flat, slightly sour-dough, lightly oily, and pink grapefruit with some annoying liquor and off-balance sweet residues.

D= I'm struggling with this one can, and not enjoying the excessive ABV% that is only diminishing any enjoyment. If you do like this stuff, be sure to find their Dale's Pale Ale if you haven't had it (also in a nuveau-trend can). It's got better flavor and less un-necessary ABV.

03-26-2010 02:04:35 | More by therica
portia99

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

12oz Hop Grenade can (canned on 3/15/10...10 days ago). Poured into a Brooklyn snifter.

A - Pours a perfectly clear and bright, pale amber color with a short lasting finger of fine white head that settles to a thin collar and a skim coat on the surface. No lacing is left behind on the glass.

S - A quick swirl of the glass releases a huge hop aroma. Citrus is way up front with grapefruit leading the charge, a bit of sweet orange blossum and a strong pineapple presence round things out. A bit of pine also and maybe a very slight minty aroma too, but largely gets overshadowed by the citrus character. A soft, sweet malt aroma is way in the background, a bit breadiness in there.

T - Much like the aroma...huge hop flavor! Citrusy grapefruit, pineapple, pine...oh my, really good. Good and serious malt backbone...tons of body, a bit of sweet, a bit of caramel.

M - This is a nop notch double IPA...really full bodied with a light to medium carbonation level. Tons of resiny hops cover the every last inch of the mouth on every sip. Quite dry and the bitterness lasts forever after the swallow. Great stuff.

D - This is a great, great beer. Just a notch below the pliny's for me...but since they aren't available here, I think I will be buying this again and again (although $18/4pk is pretty steep). Still think it will be a staple in my fridge. My "new" favorite beer in a can, hands down.

03-26-2010 00:51:22 | More by portia99
TheJollyHop

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Aroma is intoxicating with scents of fresh cut grass, wet flowers, oranges and lemon citrus accents. Poured a clear amber with very little head and sticky lacing.

And then comes the less appealing aspect...messiness!

Heat is very noticeable and comes in at the end, while bitterness is harsh and hits early on and seamlessly transitions to alcohol heat. Grain sweetness is present, but overpowered throughout the whole taste. A resiny, orange, light grapefruit citrus hop flavor accented by some faint pineapple dominates with a tongue prickling lingering quality from the alpha acids. Finally, there is a vegetable like quality to the beer.

The beer has an oily mouthfeel and the medium carbonation level works well for the style. Bottom line is this beer is a laser guided Summit hops bomb straight to the mouth with no time for balance and hell bent on making your tongue beg for mercy. While the taste arguably isn't bad, my friend surprisingly drain poured his and said, "This beer tastes like body odor smells." With that being said, if unbalanced hops is what you crave, then look no further.

03-25-2010 22:35:35 | More by TheJollyHop
llllDrGONZOllll

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

12oz can poured into a tulip glass.

A foamy whit head, sticky lacing yellow and gold ale with a very slight haze. This DIPA pour rather clear for the style....very pretty. I could dump this into a glass for one of my BMC drinking pals... they would not be the wiser except for the smell. There is no getting past the aromas of catty hops, fresh pine and lemon zest with grapefruit. Smelling GUBNA makes my pallet crave the hops. My mouth begins to water with the expectation of bitter, bitter hops. Oskar Blues delivers on the hops in bitterness and flavor. The first sip is twice the kick that the nose had moments ago. Alcohol and hops is all i can taste. I can detect no caramel or grain taste. This is a one dimensional brew...hops delivery vehicle, and I am in love. Grapefruit and lemon peels, and I swear I am finding very slight green onion. For the thin body and good amount of carbonation the aftertaste is minimal but bitter all the way. I have to say even at 10%ABV I find this very drinkable and could put more than 2 of these back. Tread lightly my fellow BA's when facing the GUBNA!

03-25-2010 20:33:01 | More by llllDrGONZOllll
ppoitras

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

12oz can purchased as a four pack from Ye Olde Spirits Shoppe, Frederick, MD.

Poured into an imperial pint, formed a 1 1/4" off white head above the clear golden amber brew. Dense head lasts nicely, with lots of sticky lace. Aroma is dominated by funktacular pine hoppiness. Taste is quite sweet upfront, quickly giving way to the piney bitterness, which coasts through the close. Mouthfeel is smooth, even with the strong bitterness, and drinkability is great for the style. Yay, good beer, and yay good beer in cans!

03-25-2010 00:10:23 | More by ppoitras
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees
BOTTOM OF CAN: Allow myself to introduce m-myself
Thanks to a good friend I got hooked up with this one.

This is a crystal clear, golden orange colored liquid. It has a very light amber cast to it. A thin head of white foam forms and the retreats. It leaves a nice surface covering bubble film. The lacing is in little clumps but is nicely sticky.

A very different nose than I was prepared for, being a DIPA/IIPA. Must be the Summit hops, which I am unfamiliar with. The nose is very floral, initially. After you get a sniff or two into it though, you find the cattiness coming out. It's the first time that I've actually found cat urine in the nose of a beer. Nice hints of caramel maltiness. Nice earthy hop notes, along with a good deal of pine. Some lighter citrus notes.

Very floral in the taste, also. The maltiness is rich and packed with caramels and brown sugars. Then you get a ton of hop presence on top of it. Lots of pine, some light citrus notes, mostly oranges, along with some pineapple and a slight hint of grapefruit. A nice level of peppery spiciness. There is a very light touch of bitterness in the back of the throat as you swallow. Other than that though, it is not bitter, just delicious.

This one is full-to-heavy bodied with a mild-to-light level of carbonation. It is very smooth in texture, which works well to balance to 'bite' of the hops. It has a nice level of creaminess, which I like.

This is quite the tasty beer, IMO. I'd have no problem drinking this on a fairly regular basis. I'm blown away by the fact that it's labeled as having 10.00%abv. It drinks like it's less than half of that.
Be careful with this one, people!

03-24-2010 18:30:52 | More by coldmeat23
hardy008

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a golden amber color with a bright white head with decent retention. Smells of grapefruit, pineapple, and pine.

The flavor is fantastic. Grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and mango blend together perfectly to make a delicious brew. A nice combination of bitter hops and sweet malt.

Medium bodied, low carbonation, the alcohol is well hidden. I can't believe it is 10% abv because it drinks so easily.

Let this beer start to warm a bit before drinking, it is superb then. (I know this is true of most beers, but is really true with GUBNA.)

03-24-2010 02:26:29 | More by hardy008
ArrogantB

Colorado

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

This started out as a very good beer. Unfortunately a week later after I finished the fourth one I was sure I would never buy it again. Don;t get me wrong this beer was exactly as advertised, huge, super-hoppy double IPA. Too bad it was all Summit hops. All I could smell was pine, cattiness, pine oil and the taste was identical with the added qualities of parmesan and pepper.. I prefer a hop profile that has a citrus element of some sort to balance out the pine. If you like Maharaja or Green Flash Imperial IPA you will probably like this.

03-23-2010 03:11:47 | More by ArrogantB
sevopie

Colorado

1.7/5  rDev -55.3%

Cloudy golden that's very close to piss colored, light off white head.

Skunky pine and moldy bread are most of what I smell.

Heavy pine with a touch of grapefruit and caramel.

Light and over carbonated.

I came into this with high hopes, as I love everything that Oskar Blues puts out, and was especially hyped knowing how good Gordon is. This was one of the worst disappointments in my beer drinking experience. I can hardly finish this single can, let alone the 4 pack I bought. This beer is way too unbalanced, and the flavors are not pleasant at all. The other cans may sit in my fridge for some time, as I am not impressed with anything about this beer.

03-23-2010 02:58:51 | More by sevopie
ScarletLady

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap, served in a pint glass
A - highly filtered, very clear deep gold with a hint of red. tight head with little lace
S - ah hops, more earthy than citrus. lovely with no big hit of alcohol
T- just the right bitter with out being overboard. It was the finish that I didn't like so much. Almost a sulfer taste after the swallow.
M - good but slightly high on the carbonation
D - while glad I tried it, for the price there are others that I like better such as the Heavy Seas Big DIPA and the Maharaja. I wouldn't order it again. I was a little disappointed after hearing such good things about it

03-23-2010 02:20:02 | More by ScarletLady
WeisGuy

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Review #400

a - pours a burnt orange color with a smallish ivory head, little retention with light lacing, very clear

s - big orange and apricot aromas mixed with heavy doses of pine and lighter notes of alcohol

t - big citrus flavors up front, orange and tangerine predominantly, midpalate comes with a heavy pine resin flavor, finish is more pine with lighter citrus notes and a decent amount of alcohol burn, the piney bitterness sits on your palate for quite awhile

m - medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, fairly dry on the finish, good deal of alcohol warming

d - not overly drinkable, fairly harsh on the palate with the intense bitterness and considerable alcohol presence

Decent DIPA overall, but, in my opinion, not close to the ranks of Pliny, Dreadnaught, Hopslam, etc. Actually, this reminds me of Exponential Hoppiness a bit.

03-23-2010 02:09:21 | More by WeisGuy
bonbright7

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

The golden red ale poured easily into my pils glas with a slight head and the strong aroma of hops just came forward. I inhaled the fruity aroma with the pine accents as I went for the first taste.

I was wowed instantly by the strong smooth taste of malts, fruity esters, and the finishing tastes of hops that lingered for a long time afterward. The heavy thoughts of alcohol in the background came forward in the after taste (10% abv). Whew! Great DIPA.

I found this to be very easy to drink and thoughts raced to ideas about casks and kegs for this particular ale.

03-22-2010 23:43:27 | More by bonbright7
SpdKilz

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance - Pours a golden honey color with three fingers of head that slowly dissipates, leaving decent lacing on the sides of my glass.

Smell - Skunky hop aroma at the forefront, followed with citrus zest such as pineapple and orange. It ends with some pine and resin - an almost spicy characteristic.

Taste - Ironically after letting this sit for a bit I get more of a caramel malty sweetness up front which is then followed by the hoppy/citrus flavors. As stated, almost a bit spicy in nature and it pricks the tongue from it (not from the carbonation).

Mouthfeel - Extremely creamy, just the right carbonation. Coats the mouth well.

Drinkability - Pretty drinkable for such a high ABV drink. I can barely taste the alcohol and there is only a slight warming on the way down. A pretty good DIPA, but after testing it head to head with PtE, there is no way I would ever get this if I have PtE readily available. This is over four dollars a can for 12 ounces, whereas PtE is less than five dollars for 16 ounces. Pliny not only tastes better IMO, but is cheaper than this. A good beer, but I will never drop 16+ dollars again for a four pack.

03-22-2010 01:15:32 | More by SpdKilz
collander

Washington

Beautiful hue, floral aroma's with bitter hop and soft herbal notes. Flavors explode with edgy bitter hop, soft undertones of vegetable, and herbal blossom, followed by lingering subtleties of fruit that gradually grow through out the finish. Hints of biscuit dance around in the underbelly, with the sharpness of the hop prevailing from start to finish.

03-21-2010 02:22:00 | More by collander
gatornation

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

pours a a light peach color with an off white head and some good sticky lacing.. the smell was strange it was tropical fruit (good) with medicinal/fish smell (bad) but more on the fruit side..the taste was better then the smell the tropical fruits..mango and pineapple with grapefruit hit you first.then some crisp/strong hops and pine right after led to a syrupy malt finish i did detect some alcohol heat but it is 10% abv..this was not as well balanced as it could be and the mouth feel was a little on the syrup side and thick..overall i put this on the top of a 2nd tier dipa,,because of the taste and the cost of about $4 a can..ill crack a couple of more this week and update but as of now its just a good dipa not a great one

03-21-2010 01:43:14 | More by gatornation
crossovert

2.35/5  rDev -38.2%

12 oz can. This brewery might be too obsessed with cannign their beers.

Pours a golden/orange, west coast/hopslam style look with a rather thin white head.

Shit, it is bursting with smell, huge tropical fruit and citrus blast with some raw hop smell which is typical for cans it seems. The tropical is very peachy/pineappley. It smells very sugary.

It has an immense fruit flavor: ripe peach, pineapple, grapefruit and a slight piney bitterness and some grain on the back end. The pineapple personally is a bit off putting but it works here with the other tropical fruit flavors. But alas coating all of this fruit is a horde of tomato and onion veggie surprise which makes it undrinkable past the first few sips. It isn't too bitter, a balanced DIPA, but a vegetastic one.

03-20-2010 20:24:10 | More by crossovert
jacobseyb

Alabama

4.18/5  rDev +10%

I love a canned beer, and this one is very nice. Poured from the can into a snifter, beautiful copper/orange color with an off-white head that laced well and stuck around a good bit before dissipating to a cap and crown. Quite complex aroma with a bitter pine note prevailing slightly over the rye. Taste is nicely balanced with the rye being maybe just a slight bit more prevalent than the hops. Feel is very smooth with a medium body and slightly less than average carbonation. Great drinking beer even for the ABV.

03-20-2010 01:39:38 | More by jacobseyb