GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).

(Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010)
2.33/5  rDev -38.8%

I love IPAs and DIPAs...the hoppier the better but I can appreciate balance as well. I had high expectations for this one coming from the makers of Ten Fidy, and all BUT this one is BAD NEWZ!!!!

Pours a nice hazy orange color with a medium size white head. Good retention for a 10.0% beer and good lacing. First pour smell was very nice too....floral and citrus hops...an aura of Double Simcoe and Pliny were dancing in my nostrils.

Then there was the taste...A quick hit of floral hops and citrus/tangerine type flavor...FOLLOWED BY A GAWD AWFUL ROTTEN VEGETABLE/ONION FLAVOR!!!
A subsequent pour produced an aroma to match the lousy taste!!!!

Mouthfeel was probably ok but since it tasted like crap...who cares???? Drinkability is bad....I drain poured the last quarter of the can. I don't think it was a defective can...Maybe something happened in storage or it was a bad batch, but I will wait till next year if and when I try it again. Very disappointing.

JayQue, May 08, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

12 oz can into a Bruery Tuip.

A: Orange-gold color with a fluffy head the recedes into a rim around the top. Light lacing at the sip marks.

S: Earthy, funky hops. A unique hop smell for sure. The bitterness is palatable. I can see how this would turn some people off, but I'm digging it.

T: Sharp bitterness attacks. Summit is an interesting hop, for sure. The malt sweetness washes away the bitterness nicely, preparing me for the next sip. It's working well for me.

M: Moderately heavy body. Ample carbonation.

D: The only downside to a beer with this distinct bitterness is that it could become a little tiring. This isn't a Stone Ruination or Moylan Hopsickle type of bitterness. It's different. For that, I applaud Oskar Blues.

I don't know how much Gubna I will drink, as the price isn't really on the mark for me, but I am glad I tried this one.

mondegreen, May 07, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours into my glass a deep reddish orange with good clarity and two fingers of creamy bubbling white head on top. Aromas of weed, cat piss, pine and smidge of citrus. Kinda dirty/earthy in a way as well. Just not very enticing to me overall.

First sip brings brash hops upfront, weedy and grassy with a touch of citrus. Resinous pine notes abound. Caramel malt hints that don't really stand up to the wall of hops. Big bitter finish but overall I don't find the hop profile too be that enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit creamy, however there's a sugary slickness as well that I didn't really like. Overall, a middle of the road DIPA. I don't think it's horrible but it also doesn't leave me desiring more.

orbitalr0x, May 07, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from 12oz can...

A- Poured a golden orange color. 1/2 finger fluffy white head. Light soapy lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Citrus hops and light pine hops..some caramel malts in the backing. To be honest when you don't bury your nose in the glass and hold it out a little it smells like some dank weed. Some light catbox like qualities to this beer as well.

T- There is a ton of tropical citrusy hops in the forefront of the beer itself. Some light pine in the second half of the beer but still a light sweetness I can't get over. Some caramel malts take it through the entire rest of the beer with some light hops and spices in the tail end. Interesting taste.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Lighty chewy and for that I don't know if I like it all the way. Hops are everywhere in this beer with resin left all over the teeth lips and palate. Drying alcohol in the back end of this.

D- I'm not one hundred percent sold on this beer. It is good don't get me wrong but I think they should have gone with a different hop. Will try this again but I can see why this beer is a love it or hate it beer. Glad I got to try though.

alleykatking, May 06, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Poured into a pint glass (don't know why I grabbed that instead of the tulip, but so it goes). Body is clear, dark golden with a 1-finger eggshell head. Settles to leave good lace. Appears flat -- few bubbles rising.

S: Hops are in the house -- first impression is citrus, but after a couple minutes I get resiny pine and then garlic chives -- like the plant I have growing outside my back door.

T: That garlicky, scallion- or chive-like flavor is there in the taste too, and I don't exactly love it. Green, raw hops mixed with garlic. Hint of rye. Lingering juicy (i.e., not dry) bitterness. Spice at the end of the sip. Heat felt in the belly.

M: Good creaminess, call it medium in heft. Low carbonation levels.

D: OK. Too green and garlicky. Vampires beware.

Kendo, May 06, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

On tap at Brass Rail Deli on 4/19/10.

A - Clear amber/orange with gold tones and slim off-white head that reduced to a patchy film and produced a thin web of lace around the rim of the glass.

S - Gubna emits a pungent blend of citrus and catbox, which elicits an aroma similar to a pineapple drizzled in cat piss... but in a good way. The fume extends to incorporate hints of floral notes, perfume and sweet caramel malt as well.

T - Juicy smack of citrus hops with spicy notes and lots of tropical fruit, especially pineapple and mango. Flavor eventually segues into a dry character with a hint of pine and more spiciness.

M - Medium bodied with an oily texture and subtle carbonation. Finish is dry and spicy with plenty of hop bitterness and a slight alcohol sting on the palate.

D - Really unique DIPA with a bold citrusy character and plenty of spicy and catbox notes. The alcohol remains quite restrained for a 10% ABV, which makes it that much easier to throw back.

ffejherb, May 06, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single of this over the weekend just to finally try one. Poured from a 12oz can into my Southern Tier tulip glass. Poured a clear amber/light copper color with a one finger frothy white head filling the top of the glass. The head shortly faded away but left a little lacing as it did.

The aroma has a big hoppy, citrus and pine smell to it. It has notes of pineapple, grapefruit and pine resin all coming from the bright and bold hops. Some alcohol is present, not a lot but enough to let you know this is a strong beer.

The taste has a big hoppy and citrusy start to the flavor with some of the same pineapple, grapefruit and pine found in the nose. It finishes with a long lasting pine resin bitterness but also has a hot warming alcohol flavor to it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is slightly below average. A very good mouthfeel for the style overall. Drinkability isn't that great for me, one was plenty and don't see myself buying another anytime soon. It wasn't bad but it was a little high in alcohol flavor and hot for a hoppy beer. The hop flavors were pretty good but it could have been better. The 100% Summit hop just didn't do it for me.

billab914, May 06, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a full, creamy head that leaves wisps of lace around the glass

Smell: Bready malt elements along with pithy citrus; I pick up the meaty onion elements as well

Taste: Bitter and pithy from the get-go, with increasing resinous astringency arriving by mid-palate; there is also a hefty malt bill of shortbread and caramel sweetness underneath; after the swallow, the bitterness lingers, adding the oniony element, though there is plenty of residual sugar on the tip of the tongue in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Chalk me up on the side of those who like this brew; sure, it's a little different but that is a good thing to me

brentk56, May 05, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

I really liked this one on the other hand I can see why others might not and it does have its own distinct taste.

This beer really warms you up fast and while not super floral it has a nice kick I think it is cool that it comes in a can as well.

A - light yellow with a thin head.

S - super grassy smelling.

T - Dank hops

M - leaves a bittersweet aftertaste that sticks in the mouth.

D - I thought it was good can't wait to have another at 10% ABV maybe just not too many.

Casey10, May 05, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

$14.39 a 4-pack at Tower on Buford Hwy. Day-um! Best be tasty.

An aggressive pour yields a lovely golden brown brew that pushes up a thick, rich half-finger cap of ivory foam. Settles out to a thin layer that sticks madly to my tulip glass. Great clarity and glowing color.

Dank, nose of floral, citrusy hops backed with a sweet honey and flour-dusted biscuit. There's an underlying odd note of rotting fruit that is intriguing.

Big juicy tangerine hits up front, followed by a nearly astringent hop bitterness. This is pulled back from the edge by the sweetness of fruit and honey nectar. Mango and papaya notes are perfectly balanced with citric and floral ones. Close your eyes as the alcohol hits in the back of the throat and you have the illusion of a bright, well-made, orange-based cocktail. Long, lingering finish of orange oil and resiny hops.
EDIT: Didn't read about the onion, but after reviewing, I get it, especially as it warms. The dry bitterness and odd earthiness become a bit tiresome late in the glass, but this is meant to be one-and-done. I still like it.

Full, smooth body has a pleasant carbonation that fills the mouth then flushes clean with drying hops and alcohol.

I really enjoyed this beer, even with its big price tag and wierd single hop overload. Bitter, but not rough, balanced with a pleasing blend of honey and fruit flavors, and an obvious but not overwhelming alcohol kick. My idea of a great DIPA, but clearly not for everyone. A lovely treat.

firkinhophead, May 05, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -67.2%

Poured into a snifter on 5/3/10

Dated 4/15/10

GUBNA looks nice with a middle-of-the-road amber color (looks slightly faded in the light) & a creamy two finger head that offers about 50% retention after a few minutes. The head does get thinner over time; retention is ok, though. Sparse strings of lace.

Hmm...this sure smells odd. Odd & quite unpleasant. I suppose you could call it hoppy, but it's all astringent, industrial solvent that singes the nose. Short sniffs are barely tolerable & any time I try to get a good bearing it just leaves me with agitated nostrils. No lie, between the concentrated solvent & some noticeable alcohol this seriously seems like huffing fumes. It gets worse as it warms; with wretched undertones of schwag weed, onion, mold & sewage. Some yeasty bread notes hang in the back, the only thing smelling even remotely close to beer. This is horrible.

The taste is nearly as bad; the only thing it has going for it is being less potent than the nose & even that doesn't help. The most notable flavor is a numbing medicinal, solvent-like quality coupled with something rotten, musty & vile. There's hardly any proper bitterness, just a little dry, brash bitterness coming in toward the end. Instead, it's harsh solvent burn to the max. Lackluster notes of yeast & near-burnt sugars (caramel, especially) are prevalent; normally this would be disappointing, but I'll take anything to cut down on that blasted solvent nonsense.

GUBNA is somewhere between medium & heavy body. Carbonation is very low, which sure does make that rotten flavor stand out. I'm so happy; thanks for that, Oscar Blues. The short lived bitterness mentioned above spends most of its life span lingering on the finish but doesn't quite overpower the other garbage that wants to hang out with it. Ugh.

No, just no. This is terrible. A complete train-wreck, in my opinion. With the exception of the appearance, almost nothing fits the style; it doesn't even work if you think of it as any other style. I feel compelled to finish this out, but I've been contemplating a drain pour since the second sip. It's a chore to finish.

Ryan011235, May 05, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

A - Poured out an exceptionally clear, golden-orange color with a small, white, bubbly head of foam. It had good retention and left some nice lace.

S - It smelled of citrus, pine and grapefruit rind. Some bready maltiness, too. Really good aroma.

T - The flavor was a disappointment from the aroma. Good bitter hops with a strong pine presence but the maltiness doesn't seem to fit. I can't really describe it, but it just wasn't a great malt flavor with the hops.

M - It was very sharp and crisp. Good dry finish and its medium body hid the ABV pretty well.

D - This is good but not great. I'd rather drink their Gordon for a DIPA.

zeff80, May 04, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

Exactly midway betwen Kruggerand gold and Sunkist orange. The upper third of the glass is filled with a lovely looking chunk of eggshell colored creaminess that has a finely pitting and finely bubbly surface. Good glass coverage as well.

Brewing this beer with 100% Summit hops was not the way to go... but then Oskar Blues didn't ask my opinion. The white grapefruit rind quality of the nose is coupled with an odd (though not entirely unpleasant) musky-spiciness reminiscent of onions. Here's hoping it's cleaned up a little on the palate.

Great googly mooglies, Batman! It looks like GUBNA is a love-it-or-loathe-it kind of ale. I'm somewhere in the indifferent middle. The sheer amount of tongue swamping hoppiness is great, but the flavor combination of the chosen hop and the unconventional malt bill isn't coming together as well as it might have.

Either jettisoning the rye malt or using a more enjoyable hop (I can think of at least 8-10 candidates) would make this much better beer. The latter is a much better idea than the former. Grilled onions are tasty... but not as the focal point in an Imperial IPA. A single can is more than enough, thanks.

The mouthfeel is pretty much where it should be for the style. While bigger and stickier would be good too, that would probably extend flavor linger, which wouldn't be a good thing. Lightly stinging bubbles are both fine and dandy.

It's hard to believe that Oskar Blues sells a ton of this stuff. It's just too 'out there' with respect to flavor. These guys can some amazing ales, but this ain't one of them. If the suggestion box is open... impeach the GUBNA!

BuckeyeNation, May 04, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

A- Light Amber..head is quick to dissipate

S- Tons of summit hops. Almost smells like something died in the can.

T- Much like it smells, takes a few sips to get use to. Not the worst beer that I've had.

M- Pretty bitter and a little thick.

D- Either you love this beer or you hate it. I wouldn't run to buy another four pack.

AstroAcks6, May 04, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

A -Llight amber with small head that fades fast

S- Like opening up a pack of summit hop pellets on brew day. Dankest hop smell ever possibly. Smell reminds me of onion powder, maybe hints of grapefruit and pine. Only down side to the nose is that it is somewhat one dimensional.

T- Taste follows the smell. Summit hops, summit hops and summit hops then fairly bitter on the finish.

M - I don't know, fairly nice. Hard to tell what is going on with these hops beating you over the head.

D- Quite drinkable. Ten percent alcohol is hidden by those crazy hops.

This is a wild beer. If you like hops you have to love it, or do you?

bpfishback, May 04, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

A- Dark yellow and/or light orange (is there a difference? maybe more red in a light orange, so I'll give this one light orange). Touches of head and small bits of lacing.

S- Vegetal and slight cat pee. Eh not my favorite aroma.

T- More sweetness- caramel and hoppiness- than I would expect from the smell. But I'm glad an "Imperial IPA" has a lot of hopiness.

M- Nice bitterness for this beer.

D- Not a bad beer, but not the hops that I'm craving for now.

zdk9, May 04, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

Canned 3-22-10. Poured into Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

A-Pours a clear amber with a one finger head with moderate retention. Left little lacing, but looks good.

S-Smells like someone created a hybrid pine/onion tree. Part of it smells good, part of it smells bad, so I'll call it a wash and give it a 3.

T-Notes of citrus and pine are washed away in another oniony assault. This really isn't working. Of course it doesn't help that I HATE onions. I keep picking up the onion flavor and its ruining it for me.

M-On the light side of medium, but sticky and coating. The mouthfeel is the highlight of the beer for me.

D-Suffers from the acrid aftertaste and the oniony nose.

Glad I tried it, but I can't see drinking this one regularly. I'd like to try it on tap just to see how it measures up to the can.

So far I have loved everything I have tried from OB. But this one was a swing and a miss.

Lerxst, May 04, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +23.4%

Reviewing from notes taken on 04/18/10. Poured from a can dated 03/16/10 into my Sam Adams glass.

A: Pours a beautiful amber color that awards a nice initial head that eventually subsides into a sticky white ring.

S: One of my favorite parts of this brew! Smells like a pine tree exploded by a grapefruit hop grenade that has been run through a bong of dank ass weed.

T: Tastes like dank weed and follows the nose in that it blasted my palette with grapefruit, tropical fruits, pine needles, and oily resin. Slightly spicy, but not like normal beer spice; it has some element that I can't describe...must be the disestablishmentarianism marked on the can. The finish was bitter but not as bitter as I thought it would be.

MF: This brew had a dense, thick body, and was like drinking a hop soup. I mean this in the best way possible.

D: I can definitely see how this beer is so divisive. Aside from everything else, it is so assertive that it demands a response and it can be hard to not respond extremely to a brew this extreme. I would recommend anyone trying this just for the sake of trying it as it, in my opinion, really shows how surprising a beer can be. Definitely a WTF moment in beer tasting for me, and I can happily say that this chalks up to another OB success in my book.

blammasterj, May 03, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

A huge thanks to Chris for throwing this in during a DLD trade as it's both a brewery and a beer I've wanted to get a hold of.

Poured from the can into a Duvel tulip glass.

The can opens without much fanfare which makes me question its carbonation. It pours an almost clear bright golden honey with a minimal white head.

The smell has an interesting unique hop profile and I don't think I've had a beer showcasing summit hops before. There are some mild citrus notes up front but then goes into a little bit of onionish smells. A distinct alcohol presence is also there, understandable for a beer of 10% ABV but I've had plenty of other DIPA's that hid their alcohol content behind strong hop aromas.

The hop flavor was surprisingly lacking. I was all geared up for a hop assault but it never came. The hop flavors that was there were more slanted toward a vegetale flavor. It's not a terrible hop flavor but not something I would prefer. The bitterness in the beer is very present as it should be at 100 IBU's and the nice thing is it's a smooth bitterness without a lingering aftertaste. There isn't much malt presence and I can't detect any of the rye or dark Munich used at all.

Mouthfeel is decent and despite the lack of pop when opening the can the carbonation is on the high side.

Overall there isn't anything terribly wrong this beer but the flavor profile just isn't hitting any high notes with me. I do appreciate how smooth the bitterness is though since that is one of the things that can win me over with a DIPA.

weatherdog, May 03, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The beer pours a dark straw yellow color with a bug off white head.
A great citrus aroma not quite as strong as I expected but still there and wonderful.
Great herby citrus hops in the flavor with a nice spicy malt flavor and the faint taste of french onion dip at the end.
The mouthfeel is a bit thin and dry but it by no means detracts from the enjoyment.
For an DIPA this is a very drinkable beer and very unique. I Dont know if I have ever tasted a beer like this.

JoePat, May 02, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -13.4%

12 oz can served into pint glass.

My first Canned Craft brew. Pours a nice hazzy dank yellow with a fluffy white 1 finger head that dissipates and sticks to the glass.

This smells very interesting to say the least. strong spicy astingency that gives way to a harsh citrus like scent. No malts to speak of.

HOLY BITTER HELL! Those summit hops are spicy as shit! Bitter citrus explosion that almost hides all the malts offered here. Almost no balance to speak of. theres a real off putting taste as well thats almost sour in a way.

medium bodied ale that ends with a dry astringent finish. A little more carbonation than i like for this style. almost burns the throat as you progress to finish.

Sold in 4 packs for 15.99...for all the hype this beer got on this site it didnt live up to much of it.

hopheadjuice, May 01, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Tried it at the bar before committing to grabbing the 4-pack. At the price point, it seemed prudent.

Appearance- Nice rich copper, bronze color. Very limited head. Not much in the way of lacing. Quite clear. Nice.

Smell- Lots of pine. Tons of pine. Quite strong with the resin. The alcohol is noticeable as well. Very piney.

Taste- Follows the nose, which is not necessarily a good thing. It's very piney. The hops are quite bitter, and are strong on the finish. Big, strong hop presence. There is some more malt on the finish than expected. It's like an amped Gordon, so it has some of those Imperial Red qualities. Not a lot of citrus, fruit.

Mouthfeel- Surprisingly thin. I thought it would be pure syrup, but it's not. Some more body, or carb would be nice.

Drinkability- Too much pine. Too much bitter finish.

Eh. Glad I got the one. Won't bother buying that pack after-all. Especially for the price.

callmescraps, May 01, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz can into a snifter

A: Gubna pours a clear light amber with a big off-white head that fades to a ring and leaves lots of sticky lacing.

S: The nose is all floral hops consisting of pine, apricot, and an earthy aroma. Exactly what I would expect from a hop-forward DIPA.

T: The taste is very unique amongst DIPAs. It starts with a fruity hop flavor and ends with that earthiness from the nose. A bit of bitterness on the finish but a bit weaker than what I was expecting. Pretty balanced with the malt and the hops add more flavor than bitterness.

M: The feel is carbonated well and slick and oily from the hops letting the flavors fade slowly on the finish.

D: This is pretty good but at 10% it would hurt to drink more than 2 I would assume. I'd probably pick up Gordon at $4-5 less before I bought this again. Still worth a shot if you like DIPAs though.

Been looking forward to trying this one since OB is one of my top 3 breweries and it didn't disappoint. The hops may have faded the past 2 weeks since it was canned but I don't see them fading that much. I didn't think it smelled like weed in a can like some people have posted. It really reminded me of Alpine Nelson with the apricot smell and taste.

GregSVT, May 01, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +15%

Appearance - It's not often that I call something a "beautiful yellowish-brown" but this beer is a joy to see. The color is so delicate yet pure it's almost like a color you'd find in a good paint. The head was immaculate as well. It was thick and white, held up nicely, and left some great lacing.

Smell - This aroma is rank with pine resin. Someone told me that summit is similar to simcoe and although admittedly this is my firs taste of summit it is a lot more piney then the simcoe that I've had. Judging by the beer's color and the alcohol content I'm sure there's a nice malt base to this DIPA but all I can smell are these massive hops and boy are they a pleasure to the olfactory bulb.

Taste - The hops aren't even thinking about mellowing at the taste. This is a stank hop brew for sure. The malts come out a lot more on the tongue and they have a nice sweetness but this is all about the summit.

Mouthfeel - This is on the light side of medium-bodied but the thinness of the beer pairs well with the flavors. The carbonation is mild so I found myself drinking this potent brew in gulps.

Drinkability - If you want a new hop experience you have to try a can of Gubna. It is a huge hop-heavy beer but goes down easy and has a unique character. I can see how some maybe didn't like it because it's so different but I thought this was great.

Note: This is a strange score because I'm rating Taste at 4.0 but Drinkability at 5.0. I thought the hops and malts clashed a bit which is why I 4'ed the taste but this beer went down in gulps. It is so smooth and the hop dryness just keeps it going.

RoyalT, May 01, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance: Pours a light ruby color, very clear with a staying fluffy white head.

Smell: This beer really screams of summit hops. There is a piny blast up front with a musky rankness in the background. Pretty sweet smell overall, although not a huge malt presence.

Taste: A musky blanket of pine needles mostly maybe a slight citrus touch, with a bit of that strange rankness playing around the tongue as the beer washes down. Gives me a slight reminder of walking past the those kids with the long hair playing guitars in a tree on a college campus. There is a bit of bitterness in there, but the strange flavor really overpowers the tongue. I'm not really feeling the huge blast of summit hops here, they definitely need something to balance them out.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light body with a big stickiness that really coats the mouth.

Drinkability: This is a bit of a one trick pony. The weird flavors really prevent this beer from being too drinkable. A beer you should try, but probably won't return to.

BigIrishman, May 01, 2010