GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

GUBNA Imperial IPAGUBNA Imperial IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).

(Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of GUBNA Imperial IPA Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

Thanks goes out to beerwolf77 for this brew.

Pours a very nice slightly hazy golden dark yellow color, nice carbonation, very nice thick creamy one-finger off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is a big hop note, nice malt balance, citrus, and pine notes. The taste is hoppy, sweet, nice malt note, good dose of citrus, and pine notes. Medium body, pretty chewy, with a nice dry/bitter finish. Very drinkable, this one really surprised the shit out of me, another very tasty brew from Oskar.

4.47/5  rDev +17%

Reviewed from notes taken 4-02-2010. My apologies for the brevity and any possible lack of coherence; I tried this beer at the Oskar Blues Homemade Liquids and Solids in Longmont right after having a glass each of Chainsaw and Imperial Stout at the Left Hand tasting room, so I was perhaps slightly less than sober. On tap, served in a pint glass.

a - Very slightly hazy gold, no head.

s - Huge grapefruit and slight caramel.

t - Spicy, then citrus - very hop dominated. Has a slight herbal taste as well. Malt is bready and caramel, and there's also a slight earthy/grassiness, like hay.

m - Good carb, light-medium body. Seems insubstantial for style/ABV.

d - Genuinely surprising for ABV; drinks like a much smaller beer.

This wasn't in my notes, but I'll point out that even my mom liked this beer, and she is not anywhere near the hop-head that I am.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance was pale with moderate lacing. The smell was citrusy and floral (reminds me of the nose on a Stone Ruination). The taste is big and bitter. Definitely over 100 IBUs, but a simple hop taste. Heavy grapefruit citrus flavor. Slight sweetness on the finish (honey?). Mouthfeel is oily and lingers. Quite drinkable for 10%abv. Overall I'm not ready to put it in a category with Pliny or Hopslam, but this is a pretty damn good beer.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden-orange color with white creamy head. Looks just about great. Nose is heavily bitter with the rind of many citric fruits. Strong enough, but damn if there isn't a rotten fruit note in there that's keeping me from loving it.

The flavor is similarly balanced between positive and negative. I love the pithy, in-your-face deliciousness of the hops. Two tons of Summit. That said, the one-note pony (mixing metaphors) can only hobble so far, and the syrupy mouthfeel and abundance of diacetyl-buttery flavor calls the dogs off to new prey.

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

This one is courtesy of Schmittymack, cheers Dan!

Pours an effervescent honey color with 3+ fingers of cream colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Piney & citrussy hops, tobacco & breadyness

T: Grapefruitty hops, a touch of caramel & breadyness, plus some boozeyness up front. Leafy/tobacco type hoppyness dominates as this warms, along with some pineapple. Finishes dry, slightlty fruitty with much pine & tobacco

MF: Chewy with low carbonation, okay balance

Drinks easy for the strength & style, but not in love with the hops used here. Probably one of my least favorite OB offerings

1.73/5  rDev -54.7%

Love Oscar Blues. Could live on Dale's Pale and Gordon. Now this beer is something else. It is truly disgusting. Blue cheese was the first smell. It followed on the palette. It looks ok and the mouthfeel could be worse. But I poured three quraters down the drain, so I have to give it a 1 for drinkability. They let me buy one can only at the store, and for that I am grateful.

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from a cold can to a tulip.

Has a hazy orange color to it. A great thick white head. Looks like shaving cream after a little bit. Its rocky and stays around to leave nice lacing down the glass.

Super hoppy aromoa. Smells a little like weed mixed with an asian grocery store....and a pigs head. Yeah this smells like head cheese. A little too funky.

The taste is very sweet and any bitterness in there is covered by it. The aromoa mixed with that sweetness isnt that easy to drink. Nice smooth mouthfeel. Seems to loose some of the funk after a few sips. Which makes me think I should try this again to see if I can get past the nose shock. We'll see...

2.2/5  rDev -42.4%

Appearance: Pours amberish orange with a thin white head. It's a good looking beer, but unfortunately it was all downhill from there.

Smell: Piney, citrusy, and a very strange onion/garlic smell that reminded me of driving through Gilroy, CA with the windows down. That's not a compliment.

Taste: Pine and citrus at first which is then completely overwhelmed by the taste of onions and garlic. It took me a while to identify the onion/garlic smell and taste. It was very familiar, but so out of context that I drank half the beer before I put my finger on it.

Mouthfeel: Thick with very little carbonation. This beer could have definitely used some more carbonation.

Drinkability: I finished the can, but it was a challenge due to that overwhelming onion/garlic taste and smell. Don't think I could have put down much more than 12 ounces.

Not a beer I'd have again. I was suprised to see it rate so high. At first, I thought I would try it again just in case I got a bad can, but considering that others noted the onion/garlic taste too, I'll pass.

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz can into a tulip glass.

Pours a crystal clear copper, topped with several stiff fingers of bright-white head. This shrinks down to a frothy ½ finger, leaving back sticky swathes of foamy lacing all down the sides of the glass. The aroma has a big hoppy bouquet on it, full of pine, grass, herbs, bitter citrus, and a good bit of sweet tropical fruits. The rye and malts are toasted, grainy, earthy and deeply spicy in the nose, adding a gritty tang in the nostrils. I'm getting some stiff warmth out of this as well but I'm not overly surprised considering the ABV at work here.

The taste is sharp and biting with spice and resins, along with a juicy flush of bitter grapefruit character. This is mostly well balanced by some sweeter fruit accents of mango and orange, as well as some caramel and toasted bread. I'm still getting some of that earthy and grainy feel from the rye but it doesn't seem as pronounced here than it was in the aroma. This finishes spicy, with lingering citrus rind and more grapefruit hanging around in the mouth for a bit. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller bodied, with a softer feel to the carbonation that sits on top before a much slicker and oily feel takes over underneath, helping keep this easier on the palate, considering the size of it. Much like the aroma, this is showing some heat but it's not overly distracting, as this actually adds a bit of an edge to the all around flavor.

I rather liked this and enjoyed it's overall tangy and earthy profile from that mix of Summit hops and rye. I didn't really get any of the strange flavors that many other reviewers seem to have gotten but I can understand that some different stuff might come out from that mix of ingredients. Also, I drank several of these fresh in late March and the ABV was very nicely hid. Had some more a few weeks later and this was already showing much more alcohol than before. Best get this one uber-fresh when you can find it.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: pale orange color with a slight haze and not a lot of effervescence. Head is a thin finger of compact ivory foam. It's OK.

Smell: rich and complex combination of hop aromas: citrusy, spicy and funky. Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the onion aroma that so many others seem to get. I rather like this fresh, bright combination.

Taste: thick, sweetish malt; the funkier and earthier characteristics of this hop show themselves much more earnestly here. Bitterness is OK, but it's not a bitter bomb. Overall, it's a pretty well-crafted DIPA.

Mouthfeel: medium-thick body with a decent level of carbonation. The consistency is a little syrupy, even, which is not surprising considering the overall bigness of this brew. I think it's pretty effective.

Drinkability: tasty, but the solid amount of flavor really hits you in the fact. The alcohol is hitting me pretty hard, as well. I think this is a good one, but I wouldn't want to make a session of it.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

Can thanks to StoutFest

Pours an orange color with a small creamy, sticky white head.

Scent of pine, sap, earth, a hint of caramel, and some spice. Nicely hop forward, not a great scent, but it'll do.

Taste of dank earthy hops, some spice and a hint of caramel. An interesting flavor, nice bitterness and well hidden alcohol. Not much complexity, but I could drink this again.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth, even carbonation.

4.45/5  rDev +16.5%

The CANQuest is unstoppable now! CANs seem to show up every day. CAN you believe it?

From the CAN: "Disestablishmentarian Does your CANscience Bother You? Tell The Truth! Give the GUBNA a Harrumph. Harrumph. Pack it in, pack it out" and stamped on the bottom, "Allow myself to introduce m-myself"

My pour created two fingers' worth of yellowish-white foam that burbled and popped like a chemistry experiment. Color was a slightly hazy golden-amber. Nose was definitely funky, kind of cheddar cheesy overlain by an earthy grassiness. I CAN understand where others noted onions, but none of this bothers me. I seek out craziness where others may drainpour or otherwise shy away. Mouthfeel was fairly full with a riot of funky flavors in the mouth - I remember the first time I smelled aged hops and thought, "WTF, over?" This was much like that. Cheesy, oniony, earthy (like fresh turned soil), wow! The finish had a definite onion quality to it, but it was not a deterrent. Instead, I allowed the 10% ABV to seep into my addled brain and leave me feeling real good. The lacing in the glass would need a jackhammer to remove it. Good. Something else to fill the idle hours.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz can, served in a DFH signature glass

A - pours with just a thin layer of loose white foam, settling to an island and ring. the beer is clear, golden colored.

S - like it! lots of pungent orange and tangerine hops, great display of citrus. some alcohol and caramel balance it out.

T - following the nose with a forward attack of citrus hops, full of orange rind, mango, and melon. hops turn a little grassy and finish sweet, not bitter. underneath it all, some caramel malt glides everything along, and finishes with a slight boozy burn with some lingering bitterness.

M - very thick and syrupy. carbonation barely noticeable. i normally like them more in this direction but this desperately needs some carbonation or a lighter body.

D - dont see what all the (bad) fuss is about. wasnt picking up any "rotting vegetable" or onion that some other people described. just a well done (and somewhat unique) DIPA. to each his own.

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

Bottom of can says "canned with care 3-15-10 @ 07:01"

Pours a golden color with about a finger of head, more foamy-ish than carbonation based.

Smell is rather weak, in fact I can barely pick up much of an aroma at all, not picking up that onion aroma that others have mentioned though so that's a good thing, no aroma better than bad aroma...

Taste seems kind of buttery and slick, in fact way too slick, carbonation is great and very soft in the mouth, the hops aren't too forward for a DIPA, in fact they're quite tame, might have to do with the fact that it's almost 2 months old though (bought it last week from my trip to MA), the sweet malt certainly lends itself.

Kind of disappointed with the Gubna, I was excited to try it since I had heard great things when it came out. The 10% is nowhere to be found though.

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

Recieved as bonus from Joe, thanks. Poured into my Sam Adams glassware.

A- Pours a dark gold/orange color with 1-2 fingers of creamy white head leaving clumps of lace.

S- First off some small floral hops with a vegetable scent I can definately pick up onions followed by nice sweet malt on the back end. Seems out of balance with the Summit Hops and massive malt.

T- Starts with a load of sweet malt followed by some weak floral hops that fade to earthy flavor almost like mushrooms or onions, just overpowering sweet malt and Summit Hops rather disjointed but interesting taste.

M- Medium body with nice carbonation however the flavor was mainly one sided heavy sweet malt and some floral hop notes but finished with a nice dry finish and I wanted to continue drinking.

D- After the first can I think I was over the taste and needed to move on but I did think that it was an interesting beer to be tried once. Too one sided on this beer, I like DIPA's but this was too sweet for me. Enjoyed the different taste but will not search out regularly.

2.4/5  rDev -37.2%

So, I've put off reviewing this beer for a while because the first few I've tried have varied greatly and I've been hoping it would find it's groove. Nope. Inconsistent, weird, and just not up to the standards the brewery has set for itself. OB, put the bong down.

The beer poured a nice ambery-orange color with about 3/4 inch of white head that had decent retention and lacing. The aroma was a mix of piney hop and, well, fish. Not as much so as the first couple batches, but still this beer still has a similar aroma to the salmon processing facility on the other end of town. Plus the beer has an underlying scent of onion and garlic. All that applies to the taste as well. Onion, garlic and fish might make for a nice soup, but makes for a lousy beer.

The body is, weirdly, thin AND sticky. Drinkability is almost to the "don't even bother" level.

Overall, I wanted to give this beer lower number scores, but I'm trying to be fair. I cannot recommend this beer. Again, Oskar Blues, it's time for you to put down the bong and focus on your beer.

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%

Appearance - Pours hazy honey with thin, offwhite head which quickly fades. Little lacing left behind.
Smell - Pine/resin, followed by a vegetable stink/dankness. As it warms a cat piss aroma emerges.
Taste - Pine, bitterness, some sweet malt that is overwhelmed by a mix of summit hops, dankness, and a vegetable taste.
Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with a syrupy feel/thickness. Moderate carbonation.
Drinkability - There is a steady bitterness without much of an appealing reason to keep drinking.
Overall - Didn't do much for me, particularly for the money.

1.98/5  rDev -48.2%

Gubna is a lightly hazy orange amber with a nice large off-white head. The aroma is very powerful. Piney up front with a lingering trace of garlic, although near the end it morphed into a sickeningly sweet locker room smell. Just like the aroma, the taste upfront is of a balanced pine hop bittering and a light caramel malt. The garlic takes over on the finish and sticks to the palate along with a good hop bittering. The alcohol is well blended and almost unnoticeable but that is perhaps because of the overwhelming garlic. Mouthfeel is a little sticky but about average for the style.

This is a love it or hate it beer. The garlic is understated at first but begins to build although it never really completely takes over. That locker room smell really stuck with me though. I swear I would catch a whiff from time to time an hour later. I've heard it's a different experience on tap and would be willing to try it again. By the can it is certainly a unique experience, just one I won't be looking to repeat.

4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

12oz can served in a pint glass. Thanks goes to Schmittymack for the canned love.

A: Pours a very nice looking golden orange. There's a half finger of small bubbled head, which hangs around for awhile. Plenty of active carbonation leaves a pitted slick on top. Some decent lacing is there, but slips away.

S: Now this gets right down to it! Dirty, dank, earthy and slightly vegetable hops dominate. There's a slight bit of citrus sweetness trying to peek through, but it's mostly overwhelmed. I'm actually quite fond of it.

T: The earthy, grassy, resiny hops are front and center. Surprisingly there's a good amount of sweetness present from the malts. It does help offset the exclusive Summit hops, but not enough. Some slight bitterness kicks in towards the end and there's a very distinct aftertaste left.

M: To me this is how I wish all DIPA's felt. Big, thick and chewy, but with enough carbonation to prevent them from being sticky and cloying. Almost perfect.

D: Amazingly the 10% ABV is nowhere to be found. That's pretty impressive. However, the Summit hops are pretty brutal on the palate and one 12oz can seemed plenty enough for me in one sitting.

To me the Summit hops are the highlight of Gubna, but also the biggest misstep in this beer. I think if OB's would have used another hop to help balance the Summit, this one could have been a Contender! Still a very solid DIPA though that I enjoyed. But at the same time I can see how this is a polarizing brew.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Served in a Sams Adams glass. No hint of carbonation with the opening of the can, although the light amber colored brew develops some fizz with the pour. Aroma is primarily hops, not overwhelming. Taste is a pleasant hoppy brew; strong, a little bit fruity but not super-bitter. Aftertaste is a little strange with a strong alcohol presence. Enjoyable beer, but I'd still rather have a Ten Fidy.

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

A - Pours clear amber with a small off-white head. Lacing is fairly light.

S - Very hoppy nose. Strong notes of pine dominate with a considerable amount of garlic coming through as well. A bready sweetness lingers in the background.

T - Starts off with a nice balance of smooth malt sweetness and sharp citrus hop notes. Then the wheels fall off the bus as strong notes of fresh onion and garlic overpower the palate. Being something of a foodie, I'm not necessarily bothered by this, but something about it certainly seems odd. Taste of Italy characteristics aside, there's a nice balance between the malt and hops. The onion/garlic notes calm down a bit as the beer warms, but remain dominant. Onion flavors carry over into the aftertaste. Kissing your sweetheart after drinking this beer is not recommended.

M - Medium-bodied with a somewhat wet finish. Carbonation seems a tad on the low side, but that's forgivable. There's a slight warming effect from the alcohol.

D - If you don't like garlic and onions, a lot, then you probably won't like this beer. I like both, so it's okay in my book. I may even buy it again sometime. It certainly isn't your average DIPA, and I can see why some people would hate it.

1.4/5  rDev -63.4%

4/29/2010

A can split at the Pizza Port bottle shop, courtesy of Overlord. The beer is golden orange with a frothy white head, decent retention, and scattered lacing. The nose exhibits pine, grapefruit, and a caramel malt backing. Alcohol is evident, and there's an abominable onion presence. The taste is of grapefruit and pine with some caramel malt and a big astringent onion kick. The onion flavor is rancid. When Overlord went to look in the coolers I snuck over to the sink and poured the remainder down the sink. Avoid. This is one of the worst DIPAs I've ever had.

2.33/5  rDev -39%

I love IPAs and DIPAs...the hoppier the better but I can appreciate balance as well. I had high expectations for this one coming from the makers of Ten Fidy, and all BUT this one is BAD NEWZ!!!!

Pours a nice hazy orange color with a medium size white head. Good retention for a 10.0% beer and good lacing. First pour smell was very nice too....floral and citrus hops...an aura of Double Simcoe and Pliny were dancing in my nostrils.

Then there was the taste...A quick hit of floral hops and citrus/tangerine type flavor...FOLLOWED BY A GAWD AWFUL ROTTEN VEGETABLE/ONION FLAVOR!!!
A subsequent pour produced an aroma to match the lousy taste!!!!

Mouthfeel was probably ok but since it tasted like crap...who cares???? Drinkability is bad....I drain poured the last quarter of the can. I don't think it was a defective can...Maybe something happened in storage or it was a bad batch, but I will wait till next year if and when I try it again. Very disappointing.

4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz can into a Bruery Tuip.

A: Orange-gold color with a fluffy head the recedes into a rim around the top. Light lacing at the sip marks.

S: Earthy, funky hops. A unique hop smell for sure. The bitterness is palatable. I can see how this would turn some people off, but I'm digging it.

T: Sharp bitterness attacks. Summit is an interesting hop, for sure. The malt sweetness washes away the bitterness nicely, preparing me for the next sip. It's working well for me.

M: Moderately heavy body. Ample carbonation.

D: The only downside to a beer with this distinct bitterness is that it could become a little tiring. This isn't a Stone Ruination or Moylan Hopsickle type of bitterness. It's different. For that, I applaud Oskar Blues.

I don't know how much Gubna I will drink, as the price isn't really on the mark for me, but I am glad I tried this one.

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours into my glass a deep reddish orange with good clarity and two fingers of creamy bubbling white head on top. Aromas of weed, cat piss, pine and smidge of citrus. Kinda dirty/earthy in a way as well. Just not very enticing to me overall.

First sip brings brash hops upfront, weedy and grassy with a touch of citrus. Resinous pine notes abound. Caramel malt hints that don't really stand up to the wall of hops. Big bitter finish but overall I don't find the hop profile too be that enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit creamy, however there's a sugary slickness as well that I didn't really like. Overall, a middle of the road DIPA. I don't think it's horrible but it also doesn't leave me desiring more.

GUBNA Imperial IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew