GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of GUBNA Imperial IPA Alström Bros
1.28/5  rDev -66.5%

Poured into a snifter on 5/3/10

Dated 4/15/10

GUBNA looks nice with a middle-of-the-road amber color (looks slightly faded in the light) & a creamy two finger head that offers about 50% retention after a few minutes. The head does get thinner over time; retention is ok, though. Sparse strings of lace.

Hmm...this sure smells odd. Odd & quite unpleasant. I suppose you could call it hoppy, but it's all astringent, industrial solvent that singes the nose. Short sniffs are barely tolerable & any time I try to get a good bearing it just leaves me with agitated nostrils. No lie, between the concentrated solvent & some noticeable alcohol this seriously seems like huffing fumes. It gets worse as it warms; with wretched undertones of schwag weed, onion, mold & sewage. Some yeasty bread notes hang in the back, the only thing smelling even remotely close to beer. This is horrible.

The taste is nearly as bad; the only thing it has going for it is being less potent than the nose & even that doesn't help. The most notable flavor is a numbing medicinal, solvent-like quality coupled with something rotten, musty & vile. There's hardly any proper bitterness, just a little dry, brash bitterness coming in toward the end. Instead, it's harsh solvent burn to the max. Lackluster notes of yeast & near-burnt sugars (caramel, especially) are prevalent; normally this would be disappointing, but I'll take anything to cut down on that blasted solvent nonsense.

GUBNA is somewhere between medium & heavy body. Carbonation is very low, which sure does make that rotten flavor stand out. I'm so happy; thanks for that, Oscar Blues. The short lived bitterness mentioned above spends most of its life span lingering on the finish but doesn't quite overpower the other garbage that wants to hang out with it. Ugh.

No, just no. This is terrible. A complete train-wreck, in my opinion. With the exception of the appearance, almost nothing fits the style; it doesn't even work if you think of it as any other style. I feel compelled to finish this out, but I've been contemplating a drain pour since the second sip. It's a chore to finish.

3.82/5  rDev 0%

A - Poured out an exceptionally clear, golden-orange color with a small, white, bubbly head of foam. It had good retention and left some nice lace.

S - It smelled of citrus, pine and grapefruit rind. Some bready maltiness, too. Really good aroma.

T - The flavor was a disappointment from the aroma. Good bitter hops with a strong pine presence but the maltiness doesn't seem to fit. I can't really describe it, but it just wasn't a great malt flavor with the hops.

M - It was very sharp and crisp. Good dry finish and its medium body hid the ABV pretty well.

D - This is good but not great. I'd rather drink their Gordon for a DIPA.

3.28/5  rDev -14.1%

Exactly midway betwen Kruggerand gold and Sunkist orange. The upper third of the glass is filled with a lovely looking chunk of eggshell colored creaminess that has a finely pitting and finely bubbly surface. Good glass coverage as well.

Brewing this beer with 100% Summit hops was not the way to go... but then Oskar Blues didn't ask my opinion. The white grapefruit rind quality of the nose is coupled with an odd (though not entirely unpleasant) musky-spiciness reminiscent of onions. Here's hoping it's cleaned up a little on the palate.

Great googly mooglies, Batman! It looks like GUBNA is a love-it-or-loathe-it kind of ale. I'm somewhere in the indifferent middle. The sheer amount of tongue swamping hoppiness is great, but the flavor combination of the chosen hop and the unconventional malt bill isn't coming together as well as it might have.

Either jettisoning the rye malt or using a more enjoyable hop (I can think of at least 8-10 candidates) would make this much better beer. The latter is a much better idea than the former. Grilled onions are tasty... but not as the focal point in an Imperial IPA. A single can is more than enough, thanks.

The mouthfeel is pretty much where it should be for the style. While bigger and stickier would be good too, that would probably extend flavor linger, which wouldn't be a good thing. Lightly stinging bubbles are both fine and dandy.

It's hard to believe that Oskar Blues sells a ton of this stuff. It's just too 'out there' with respect to flavor. These guys can some amazing ales, but this ain't one of them. If the suggestion box is open... impeach the GUBNA!

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Light Amber..head is quick to dissipate

S- Tons of summit hops. Almost smells like something died in the can.

T- Much like it smells, takes a few sips to get use to. Not the worst beer that I've had.

M- Pretty bitter and a little thick.

D- Either you love this beer or you hate it. I wouldn't run to buy another four pack.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

A -Llight amber with small head that fades fast

S- Like opening up a pack of summit hop pellets on brew day. Dankest hop smell ever possibly. Smell reminds me of onion powder, maybe hints of grapefruit and pine. Only down side to the nose is that it is somewhat one dimensional.

T- Taste follows the smell. Summit hops, summit hops and summit hops then fairly bitter on the finish.

M - I don't know, fairly nice. Hard to tell what is going on with these hops beating you over the head.

D- Quite drinkable. Ten percent alcohol is hidden by those crazy hops.

This is a wild beer. If you like hops you have to love it, or do you?

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

A- Dark yellow and/or light orange (is there a difference? maybe more red in a light orange, so I'll give this one light orange). Touches of head and small bits of lacing.

S- Vegetal and slight cat pee. Eh not my favorite aroma.

T- More sweetness- caramel and hoppiness- than I would expect from the smell. But I'm glad an "Imperial IPA" has a lot of hopiness.

M- Nice bitterness for this beer.

D- Not a bad beer, but not the hops that I'm craving for now.

2.86/5  rDev -25.1%

Canned 3-22-10. Poured into Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

A-Pours a clear amber with a one finger head with moderate retention. Left little lacing, but looks good.

S-Smells like someone created a hybrid pine/onion tree. Part of it smells good, part of it smells bad, so I'll call it a wash and give it a 3.

T-Notes of citrus and pine are washed away in another oniony assault. This really isn't working. Of course it doesn't help that I HATE onions. I keep picking up the onion flavor and its ruining it for me.

M-On the light side of medium, but sticky and coating. The mouthfeel is the highlight of the beer for me.

D-Suffers from the acrid aftertaste and the oniony nose.

Glad I tried it, but I can't see drinking this one regularly. I'd like to try it on tap just to see how it measures up to the can.

So far I have loved everything I have tried from OB. But this one was a swing and a miss.

4.69/5  rDev +22.8%

Reviewing from notes taken on 04/18/10. Poured from a can dated 03/16/10 into my Sam Adams glass.

A: Pours a beautiful amber color that awards a nice initial head that eventually subsides into a sticky white ring.

S: One of my favorite parts of this brew! Smells like a pine tree exploded by a grapefruit hop grenade that has been run through a bong of dank ass weed.

T: Tastes like dank weed and follows the nose in that it blasted my palette with grapefruit, tropical fruits, pine needles, and oily resin. Slightly spicy, but not like normal beer spice; it has some element that I can't describe...must be the disestablishmentarianism marked on the can. The finish was bitter but not as bitter as I thought it would be.

MF: This brew had a dense, thick body, and was like drinking a hop soup. I mean this in the best way possible.

D: I can definitely see how this beer is so divisive. Aside from everything else, it is so assertive that it demands a response and it can be hard to not respond extremely to a brew this extreme. I would recommend anyone trying this just for the sake of trying it as it, in my opinion, really shows how surprising a beer can be. Definitely a WTF moment in beer tasting for me, and I can happily say that this chalks up to another OB success in my book.

3.27/5  rDev -14.4%

A huge thanks to Chris for throwing this in during a DLD trade as it's both a brewery and a beer I've wanted to get a hold of.

Poured from the can into a Duvel tulip glass.

The can opens without much fanfare which makes me question its carbonation. It pours an almost clear bright golden honey with a minimal white head.

The smell has an interesting unique hop profile and I don't think I've had a beer showcasing summit hops before. There are some mild citrus notes up front but then goes into a little bit of onionish smells. A distinct alcohol presence is also there, understandable for a beer of 10% ABV but I've had plenty of other DIPA's that hid their alcohol content behind strong hop aromas.

The hop flavor was surprisingly lacking. I was all geared up for a hop assault but it never came. The hop flavors that was there were more slanted toward a vegetale flavor. It's not a terrible hop flavor but not something I would prefer. The bitterness in the beer is very present as it should be at 100 IBU's and the nice thing is it's a smooth bitterness without a lingering aftertaste. There isn't much malt presence and I can't detect any of the rye or dark Munich used at all.

Mouthfeel is decent and despite the lack of pop when opening the can the carbonation is on the high side.

Overall there isn't anything terribly wrong this beer but the flavor profile just isn't hitting any high notes with me. I do appreciate how smooth the bitterness is though since that is one of the things that can win me over with a DIPA.

4.06/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The beer pours a dark straw yellow color with a bug off white head.
A great citrus aroma not quite as strong as I expected but still there and wonderful.
Great herby citrus hops in the flavor with a nice spicy malt flavor and the faint taste of french onion dip at the end.
The mouthfeel is a bit thin and dry but it by no means detracts from the enjoyment.
For an DIPA this is a very drinkable beer and very unique. I Dont know if I have ever tasted a beer like this.

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

12 oz can served into pint glass.

My first Canned Craft brew. Pours a nice hazzy dank yellow with a fluffy white 1 finger head that dissipates and sticks to the glass.

This smells very interesting to say the least. strong spicy astingency that gives way to a harsh citrus like scent. No malts to speak of.

HOLY BITTER HELL! Those summit hops are spicy as shit! Bitter citrus explosion that almost hides all the malts offered here. Almost no balance to speak of. theres a real off putting taste as well thats almost sour in a way.

medium bodied ale that ends with a dry astringent finish. A little more carbonation than i like for this style. almost burns the throat as you progress to finish.

Sold in 4 packs for 15.99...for all the hype this beer got on this site it didnt live up to much of it.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

Tried it at the bar before committing to grabbing the 4-pack. At the price point, it seemed prudent.

Appearance- Nice rich copper, bronze color. Very limited head. Not much in the way of lacing. Quite clear. Nice.

Smell- Lots of pine. Tons of pine. Quite strong with the resin. The alcohol is noticeable as well. Very piney.

Taste- Follows the nose, which is not necessarily a good thing. It's very piney. The hops are quite bitter, and are strong on the finish. Big, strong hop presence. There is some more malt on the finish than expected. It's like an amped Gordon, so it has some of those Imperial Red qualities. Not a lot of citrus, fruit.

Mouthfeel- Surprisingly thin. I thought it would be pure syrup, but it's not. Some more body, or carb would be nice.

Drinkability- Too much pine. Too much bitter finish.

Eh. Glad I got the one. Won't bother buying that pack after-all. Especially for the price.

12oz can into a snifter

A: Gubna pours a clear light amber with a big off-white head that fades to a ring and leaves lots of sticky lacing.

S: The nose is all floral hops consisting of pine, apricot, and an earthy aroma. Exactly what I would expect from a hop-forward DIPA.

T: The taste is very unique amongst DIPAs. It starts with a fruity hop flavor and ends with that earthiness from the nose. A bit of bitterness on the finish but a bit weaker than what I was expecting. Pretty balanced with the malt and the hops add more flavor than bitterness.

M: The feel is carbonated well and slick and oily from the hops letting the flavors fade slowly on the finish.

D: This is pretty good but at 10% it would hurt to drink more than 2 I would assume. I'd probably pick up Gordon at $4-5 less before I bought this again. Still worth a shot if you like DIPAs though.

Been looking forward to trying this one since OB is one of my top 3 breweries and it didn't disappoint. The hops may have faded the past 2 weeks since it was canned but I don't see them fading that much. I didn't think it smelled like weed in a can like some people have posted. It really reminded me of Alpine Nelson with the apricot smell and taste.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance - It's not often that I call something a "beautiful yellowish-brown" but this beer is a joy to see. The color is so delicate yet pure it's almost like a color you'd find in a good paint. The head was immaculate as well. It was thick and white, held up nicely, and left some great lacing.

Smell - This aroma is rank with pine resin. Someone told me that summit is similar to simcoe and although admittedly this is my firs taste of summit it is a lot more piney then the simcoe that I've had. Judging by the beer's color and the alcohol content I'm sure there's a nice malt base to this DIPA but all I can smell are these massive hops and boy are they a pleasure to the olfactory bulb.

Taste - The hops aren't even thinking about mellowing at the taste. This is a stank hop brew for sure. The malts come out a lot more on the tongue and they have a nice sweetness but this is all about the summit.

Mouthfeel - This is on the light side of medium-bodied but the thinness of the beer pairs well with the flavors. The carbonation is mild so I found myself drinking this potent brew in gulps.

Drinkability - If you want a new hop experience you have to try a can of Gubna. It is a huge hop-heavy beer but goes down easy and has a unique character. I can see how some maybe didn't like it because it's so different but I thought this was great.

Note: This is a strange score because I'm rating Taste at 4.0 but Drinkability at 5.0. I thought the hops and malts clashed a bit which is why I 4'ed the taste but this beer went down in gulps. It is so smooth and the hop dryness just keeps it going.

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

Appearance: Pours a light ruby color, very clear with a staying fluffy white head.

Smell: This beer really screams of summit hops. There is a piny blast up front with a musky rankness in the background. Pretty sweet smell overall, although not a huge malt presence.

Taste: A musky blanket of pine needles mostly maybe a slight citrus touch, with a bit of that strange rankness playing around the tongue as the beer washes down. Gives me a slight reminder of walking past the those kids with the long hair playing guitars in a tree on a college campus. There is a bit of bitterness in there, but the strange flavor really overpowers the tongue. I'm not really feeling the huge blast of summit hops here, they definitely need something to balance them out.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light body with a big stickiness that really coats the mouth.

Drinkability: This is a bit of a one trick pony. The weird flavors really prevent this beer from being too drinkable. A beer you should try, but probably won't return to.

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

12oz can into a Duvel tulip...wow, already over 200 reviews for this beer!

Pours a crystal clear, straw-golden body with a minimal head of eggshell white bubbles. Lots of carbonation rising up from the laser etching. Good retention on what little head sticks around, and some nice lacing too. Yep, onions are definitely coming through in the aroma, taking the form of wild ramps. Thanks, Summit! Hints of honeydew and other fruity melons in the background with a touch of pinyness. Semi-sweet, boozy vanilla & butterscotch notes from the malts and alcohol.

The hops lay the smack down on the palate, and it's a beautiful, bitter burn as the alcohol kicks in. Raw, leafy Summit hops add a very flavorful balance to all the IBU's, with pine resin and wild herbs. The malts taste sweet and pale with a spicy rye kick, but ultimately get overshadowed by the hoppy onslaught. The booze takes hold mid-palate, and grips the tastebuds with a breathy ethanol note until the 10% ABV warms the stomach. One of the longest-lingering aftertastes in recent memory, and I like it. Mouthfeel is deceptively light and drinkable, but you can tell this is a big beer all the while. I guess the uppity carbonation level helps lighten the load. All in all, a fantastic IIPA from Oskar Blues. I was a bit skeptical of the all-Summit hop schedule and hefty price-tag, but this is well worth the asking price. Yum!

3.4/5  rDev -11%

This is a bit darker than straw colored. It had a decent head and tons of lacing.

The smell is very hoppy up front with floral and citrus to follow. The taste is much the same where the hops are killer up front, a little too strong in my opinion.

This isn't especially easy to drink, but still enjoyable for sure.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours somewhat hazy gold at first but clears somewhat to a medium golden color. Quite the resiny and piney tree sap aroma. Just a huge hop blast upfront. Deep resiny and piney flavors. A ton of sweetness in the finish with a mild spicy bite. Long lasting hop flavors. Huge body-fairly heavy, quite viscous. A hell of a DIPA-thoroughly enjoyable on all levels. Will revisit this again and again.

3.21/5  rDev -16%

Poured into my Weyerbacher tulip.

Pours a finger of creamy off white head. Decent retention leaving some lice lace. Color is a glowing golden orange. Very appealing dipa.

Aroma: Whoever said this beer smells like onions is correct. The hops give off a distinguishable onion flavor. Some floral hops with some bready malts.

Taste: Whoa, the taste is pretty awkwad. It tastes like so many weird flavors that are not normally in an ipa and I can't really determine. The onions show, but not as much. Such an odd flavor. More floral hops. Grassy and weedy, however. Some bready malts and alcohol show.

Mouthfeel: Mainly creamy with a touch of bitterness. Medium to full bodied for the style. A decent amount of carbonation. End sticky, hoppy, and dry.

Overall, this was an odd dipa. Nothing I really enjoyed too much. It had some interesting flavors with it and showed too much of its alcohol. Glad I only have one can to get through.

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

appearance: golden with some good head rentention and lacing

smell: big pine and some citus, smells like a very strong IPA.

taste: not as complex as I expected from oskar, but a very good piney dipa

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: let down witht he hype, but still a great DIPA

3.08/5  rDev -19.4%

"This one tastes like the cow got into a bunch of onions"...er, I mean brewer. I LOVE Oskar Blues' offerings, with Ten Fidy being in my top 10 faves of all time, so I was extremely excited to try this one out. Unfortunately, it let me down in a big way.

Pours a deep amber color with rocky white head. The aroma is sweet and citrusy, with some slight medicinal phenolics. The biggest shock is in the taste - big, mouth-coating malt sweetness followed by vidalia onions from the Summit hops. A little spice and pine as well, and definitely some heat from the alcohol. The mouthfeel is dense, and overbearing. I really can't get past the taste of onions and malty sweetness.

I know some people are really digging this beer, but I think Oskar Blues could've benefitted from diversifying their hops and toning down the residual sugar from the malt bill.

4.05/5  rDev +6%

Can poured into my trusty Spiegelau tulip. Quite nice, a slightly hazed golden barely orange-tinged hue with superior retention but only moderate lacing.

Hyped, divisive, etc. Not the first 100% Summit hop brew I've tasted. That would be Bison's from their Single Hop Series. And this has the advantage of a superior malt bill and process. Which makes me like this far more than I expected.

Aromas definitely push an orange/tangerine-centric agenda with a heeping backing of sweet onion. I don't know if it's the amazing sharp cheddar and tomato confit grilled cheese sandwich I'm eating it with, or the tomato bisque I'm dipping the sandwich in, but the aromatic notes aren't really putting me off right now.

Excellent mid-palate sweetness that's grainy and complex. Finishes with a tongue scraping bitterness that hits right down the middle only in the aftertaste does a little linger in the cheeks. Note: 100 IBUs! Not as bitter as beers with fewer. The nature of the hops... matters. No alcohol burn whatsoever. 10% my ass. Literally, this will put you on it.

Mouthfeel is really excellent. Nice deceptively light body. Excellent carbonation lift.

I'm... thinking this is alright. I really don't think Summit works entirely on its own, but this highlights some of its strengths pretty well. It adds depth to the hop flavors with its intriguing complexities, pleasing mid-palate bitterness. I don't personally find it so awe-inspiring or worthy of some the aggressive derision that pops up around it. But... I get why some do.

I would heartily recommend pairing this particular beer with food. I hold no illusion that I would want a pint of this coming in on a warm spring afternoon (they're warm here in SoCal). But it worked amazingly well with the meal I paired it with.

3.4/5  rDev -11%

12oz can

A- Pours an clear copper/amber color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is dominated by a lot of citrus and pine hop aromas.

T- The taste like the aroma is nothing short of a hop bomb. There is some fruitiness from the malt up front with the hops quickly kicking in and lingering around well into the finish. There is also a lot of warmth from the high ABV. A little too boozy in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carboantion.

D- Overall, this is a big hop dominated DIPA that packs a lot of hops. Don't know if I'd want more than one can though, that would be palate overload for me.

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

A= pours a nice bright orange color with a good looking two finger head that is a sort of off white color colored head. Some nice sticky lacing on the side of the glass.

S= smells like a lot of skunky marajuana. Nice green smell to it. Sort of a little cat piss smell to it but nothing oniony like I've heard.

T= The taste is a little more oniony than the smell led on to believe. The weed smell is turned into some of the most dirty nasty ditch weed I've ever tasted. The taste isn't nearly as plesant as many IPAs I've had. Sort of different in the taste.

M= Good for an IPA. Nice and smooth. Good mouth on this one. This may be the best part of it.

D= Decent brew. When you get use to the onion taste it's decent. There are a lot of better IIPAs that are at a more reasonable price point. Decent beer though.

4.05/5  rDev +6%

appearance: Rich golden but clear.

Smell: Overpoweringly Citrus specifically grapefruit, it smells of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice.

Taste: Very bitter upfront strong grapefruit flavor, but then gets milder and smoother with a fairly clean finish.

mouthfeel: Good, nothing especially wonderful or bad about the mouthfeel.

drinkability: There is a great smooth mellow taste to this once the bitter first bite washes away. Very drinkable, but the 10% ABV makes it dangerous to drink this too quickly. :)

Definitely worth picking up.

GUBNA Imperial IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew