GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

GUBNA Imperial IPAGUBNA Imperial IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).

(Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of GUBNA Imperial IPA Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev -13.4%

12 oz can served into pint glass.

My first Canned Craft brew. Pours a nice hazzy dank yellow with a fluffy white 1 finger head that dissipates and sticks to the glass.

This smells very interesting to say the least. strong spicy astingency that gives way to a harsh citrus like scent. No malts to speak of.

HOLY BITTER HELL! Those summit hops are spicy as shit! Bitter citrus explosion that almost hides all the malts offered here. Almost no balance to speak of. theres a real off putting taste as well thats almost sour in a way.

medium bodied ale that ends with a dry astringent finish. A little more carbonation than i like for this style. almost burns the throat as you progress to finish.

Sold in 4 packs for 15.99...for all the hype this beer got on this site it didnt live up to much of it.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Tried it at the bar before committing to grabbing the 4-pack. At the price point, it seemed prudent.

Appearance- Nice rich copper, bronze color. Very limited head. Not much in the way of lacing. Quite clear. Nice.

Smell- Lots of pine. Tons of pine. Quite strong with the resin. The alcohol is noticeable as well. Very piney.

Taste- Follows the nose, which is not necessarily a good thing. It's very piney. The hops are quite bitter, and are strong on the finish. Big, strong hop presence. There is some more malt on the finish than expected. It's like an amped Gordon, so it has some of those Imperial Red qualities. Not a lot of citrus, fruit.

Mouthfeel- Surprisingly thin. I thought it would be pure syrup, but it's not. Some more body, or carb would be nice.

Drinkability- Too much pine. Too much bitter finish.

Eh. Glad I got the one. Won't bother buying that pack after-all. Especially for the price.

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz can into a snifter

A: Gubna pours a clear light amber with a big off-white head that fades to a ring and leaves lots of sticky lacing.

S: The nose is all floral hops consisting of pine, apricot, and an earthy aroma. Exactly what I would expect from a hop-forward DIPA.

T: The taste is very unique amongst DIPAs. It starts with a fruity hop flavor and ends with that earthiness from the nose. A bit of bitterness on the finish but a bit weaker than what I was expecting. Pretty balanced with the malt and the hops add more flavor than bitterness.

M: The feel is carbonated well and slick and oily from the hops letting the flavors fade slowly on the finish.

D: This is pretty good but at 10% it would hurt to drink more than 2 I would assume. I'd probably pick up Gordon at $4-5 less before I bought this again. Still worth a shot if you like DIPAs though.

Been looking forward to trying this one since OB is one of my top 3 breweries and it didn't disappoint. The hops may have faded the past 2 weeks since it was canned but I don't see them fading that much. I didn't think it smelled like weed in a can like some people have posted. It really reminded me of Alpine Nelson with the apricot smell and taste.

4.38/5  rDev +15%

Appearance - It's not often that I call something a "beautiful yellowish-brown" but this beer is a joy to see. The color is so delicate yet pure it's almost like a color you'd find in a good paint. The head was immaculate as well. It was thick and white, held up nicely, and left some great lacing.

Smell - This aroma is rank with pine resin. Someone told me that summit is similar to simcoe and although admittedly this is my firs taste of summit it is a lot more piney then the simcoe that I've had. Judging by the beer's color and the alcohol content I'm sure there's a nice malt base to this DIPA but all I can smell are these massive hops and boy are they a pleasure to the olfactory bulb.

Taste - The hops aren't even thinking about mellowing at the taste. This is a stank hop brew for sure. The malts come out a lot more on the tongue and they have a nice sweetness but this is all about the summit.

Mouthfeel - This is on the light side of medium-bodied but the thinness of the beer pairs well with the flavors. The carbonation is mild so I found myself drinking this potent brew in gulps.

Drinkability - If you want a new hop experience you have to try a can of Gubna. It is a huge hop-heavy beer but goes down easy and has a unique character. I can see how some maybe didn't like it because it's so different but I thought this was great.

Note: This is a strange score because I'm rating Taste at 4.0 but Drinkability at 5.0. I thought the hops and malts clashed a bit which is why I 4'ed the taste but this beer went down in gulps. It is so smooth and the hop dryness just keeps it going.

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance: Pours a light ruby color, very clear with a staying fluffy white head.

Smell: This beer really screams of summit hops. There is a piny blast up front with a musky rankness in the background. Pretty sweet smell overall, although not a huge malt presence.

Taste: A musky blanket of pine needles mostly maybe a slight citrus touch, with a bit of that strange rankness playing around the tongue as the beer washes down. Gives me a slight reminder of walking past the those kids with the long hair playing guitars in a tree on a college campus. There is a bit of bitterness in there, but the strange flavor really overpowers the tongue. I'm not really feeling the huge blast of summit hops here, they definitely need something to balance them out.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light body with a big stickiness that really coats the mouth.

Drinkability: This is a bit of a one trick pony. The weird flavors really prevent this beer from being too drinkable. A beer you should try, but probably won't return to.

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

12oz can into a Duvel tulip...wow, already over 200 reviews for this beer!

Pours a crystal clear, straw-golden body with a minimal head of eggshell white bubbles. Lots of carbonation rising up from the laser etching. Good retention on what little head sticks around, and some nice lacing too. Yep, onions are definitely coming through in the aroma, taking the form of wild ramps. Thanks, Summit! Hints of honeydew and other fruity melons in the background with a touch of pinyness. Semi-sweet, boozy vanilla & butterscotch notes from the malts and alcohol.

The hops lay the smack down on the palate, and it's a beautiful, bitter burn as the alcohol kicks in. Raw, leafy Summit hops add a very flavorful balance to all the IBU's, with pine resin and wild herbs. The malts taste sweet and pale with a spicy rye kick, but ultimately get overshadowed by the hoppy onslaught. The booze takes hold mid-palate, and grips the tastebuds with a breathy ethanol note until the 10% ABV warms the stomach. One of the longest-lingering aftertastes in recent memory, and I like it. Mouthfeel is deceptively light and drinkable, but you can tell this is a big beer all the while. I guess the uppity carbonation level helps lighten the load. All in all, a fantastic IIPA from Oskar Blues. I was a bit skeptical of the all-Summit hop schedule and hefty price-tag, but this is well worth the asking price. Yum!

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

This is a bit darker than straw colored. It had a decent head and tons of lacing.

The smell is very hoppy up front with floral and citrus to follow. The taste is much the same where the hops are killer up front, a little too strong in my opinion.

This isn't especially easy to drink, but still enjoyable for sure.

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours somewhat hazy gold at first but clears somewhat to a medium golden color. Quite the resiny and piney tree sap aroma. Just a huge hop blast upfront. Deep resiny and piney flavors. A ton of sweetness in the finish with a mild spicy bite. Long lasting hop flavors. Huge body-fairly heavy, quite viscous. A hell of a DIPA-thoroughly enjoyable on all levels. Will revisit this again and again.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into my Weyerbacher tulip.

Pours a finger of creamy off white head. Decent retention leaving some lice lace. Color is a glowing golden orange. Very appealing dipa.

Aroma: Whoever said this beer smells like onions is correct. The hops give off a distinguishable onion flavor. Some floral hops with some bready malts.

Taste: Whoa, the taste is pretty awkwad. It tastes like so many weird flavors that are not normally in an ipa and I can't really determine. The onions show, but not as much. Such an odd flavor. More floral hops. Grassy and weedy, however. Some bready malts and alcohol show.

Mouthfeel: Mainly creamy with a touch of bitterness. Medium to full bodied for the style. A decent amount of carbonation. End sticky, hoppy, and dry.

Overall, this was an odd dipa. Nothing I really enjoyed too much. It had some interesting flavors with it and showed too much of its alcohol. Glad I only have one can to get through.

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

appearance: golden with some good head rentention and lacing

smell: big pine and some citus, smells like a very strong IPA.

taste: not as complex as I expected from oskar, but a very good piney dipa

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: let down witht he hype, but still a great DIPA

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

"This one tastes like the cow got into a bunch of onions"...er, I mean brewer. I LOVE Oskar Blues' offerings, with Ten Fidy being in my top 10 faves of all time, so I was extremely excited to try this one out. Unfortunately, it let me down in a big way.

Pours a deep amber color with rocky white head. The aroma is sweet and citrusy, with some slight medicinal phenolics. The biggest shock is in the taste - big, mouth-coating malt sweetness followed by vidalia onions from the Summit hops. A little spice and pine as well, and definitely some heat from the alcohol. The mouthfeel is dense, and overbearing. I really can't get past the taste of onions and malty sweetness.

I know some people are really digging this beer, but I think Oskar Blues could've benefitted from diversifying their hops and toning down the residual sugar from the malt bill.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Can poured into my trusty Spiegelau tulip. Quite nice, a slightly hazed golden barely orange-tinged hue with superior retention but only moderate lacing.

Hyped, divisive, etc. Not the first 100% Summit hop brew I've tasted. That would be Bison's from their Single Hop Series. And this has the advantage of a superior malt bill and process. Which makes me like this far more than I expected.

Aromas definitely push an orange/tangerine-centric agenda with a heeping backing of sweet onion. I don't know if it's the amazing sharp cheddar and tomato confit grilled cheese sandwich I'm eating it with, or the tomato bisque I'm dipping the sandwich in, but the aromatic notes aren't really putting me off right now.

Excellent mid-palate sweetness that's grainy and complex. Finishes with a tongue scraping bitterness that hits right down the middle only in the aftertaste does a little linger in the cheeks. Note: 100 IBUs! Not as bitter as beers with fewer. The nature of the hops... matters. No alcohol burn whatsoever. 10% my ass. Literally, this will put you on it.

Mouthfeel is really excellent. Nice deceptively light body. Excellent carbonation lift.

I'm... thinking this is alright. I really don't think Summit works entirely on its own, but this highlights some of its strengths pretty well. It adds depth to the hop flavors with its intriguing complexities, pleasing mid-palate bitterness. I don't personally find it so awe-inspiring or worthy of some the aggressive derision that pops up around it. But... I get why some do.

I would heartily recommend pairing this particular beer with food. I hold no illusion that I would want a pint of this coming in on a warm spring afternoon (they're warm here in SoCal). But it worked amazingly well with the meal I paired it with.

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

12oz can

A- Pours an clear copper/amber color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is dominated by a lot of citrus and pine hop aromas.

T- The taste like the aroma is nothing short of a hop bomb. There is some fruitiness from the malt up front with the hops quickly kicking in and lingering around well into the finish. There is also a lot of warmth from the high ABV. A little too boozy in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carboantion.

D- Overall, this is a big hop dominated DIPA that packs a lot of hops. Don't know if I'd want more than one can though, that would be palate overload for me.

3.45/5  rDev -9.4%

A= pours a nice bright orange color with a good looking two finger head that is a sort of off white color colored head. Some nice sticky lacing on the side of the glass.

S= smells like a lot of skunky marajuana. Nice green smell to it. Sort of a little cat piss smell to it but nothing oniony like I've heard.

T= The taste is a little more oniony than the smell led on to believe. The weed smell is turned into some of the most dirty nasty ditch weed I've ever tasted. The taste isn't nearly as plesant as many IPAs I've had. Sort of different in the taste.

M= Good for an IPA. Nice and smooth. Good mouth on this one. This may be the best part of it.

D= Decent brew. When you get use to the onion taste it's decent. There are a lot of better IIPAs that are at a more reasonable price point. Decent beer though.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

appearance: Rich golden but clear.

Smell: Overpoweringly Citrus specifically grapefruit, it smells of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice.

Taste: Very bitter upfront strong grapefruit flavor, but then gets milder and smoother with a fairly clean finish.

mouthfeel: Good, nothing especially wonderful or bad about the mouthfeel.

drinkability: There is a great smooth mellow taste to this once the bitter first bite washes away. Very drinkable, but the 10% ABV makes it dangerous to drink this too quickly. :)

Definitely worth picking up.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear leaving minimal head (maybe my can pouring skills are not so good). What little appears sticks around and provides light lacing.

Smell is odd, not necessarily bad odd, just different. I must have seen another review that said "meaty" because that's all I can think of to describe it. Not as piney or floral as I thought I might sense. NOTE: after seeking out descriptions of Summit I'm going to go with the occasionally noted onion/garlic smell... onion powder.

Resiny, dank, yet crispy hop forwardness that shifts pretty quickly to the back of the tongue and throat.

Crisp and hoppy in the way I'd expect a big IPA to be. Not too lingering or cloying in any way. I don't know that I'd have pegged it for 10%... it's warm with alcohol, but it doesn't knock you down. I get a little salty feel after pausing between sips.

Drinkability is high because it's not cloying and it's not a palate-wrecker. 10%, $15 4-pack, I don't know that it would be a beer I'd seek out again. I'll enjoy the other 3 however...

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Good for a canned beer. I poured it into a glass but still its not something I will be on the hunt for priced at $18 for 4-pack of 12oz Cans.

Its surprisingly good but I rated it low because of the can and price vs what it actually is.

I might give it 5's across the board if it was in a bottle.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Buckeyeboy brought this to a recent tasting... Thanks a ton Jeremy..

Very clear yellow/orange .. nice head... good lacing..

Nose is amazingly fruity... citrus... melon.. pineapple... damn.. no pine!! Funky weed permeates the aroma.

Flavor has all the American hop aromas (again no pine) .. the fruitiness really slams into the deep herbal qualities.. some skunky onion adds to the hoppiness but the hoppiness really goes all over the place.... pale malts try to keep things together but sorta fail when it warms up.

Nice body and carbonation.... but this seemed like a shotgun blast of hops that never should be put on the same platform.... too much and they don't jive together....

Thanks again to Jeremy.. but I really want to try this again.. I doubt my above negatives are as bad as my review shows.

4/4/3.5/3.5/3.5

1.48/5  rDev -61.2%

A-Light orange...cloudy....small white head

S-Big garlic aroma...fuck...I could ward off vampires with this shit. Thank you Summit hop...underneath all the garlic is a little light citrus but hard to distinquish

T-Catty....garlic...onion...don't like this at all. Maybe some light citrus but again hard to note.

M-Medium to full bodied...not much bitterness on the finish or the taste really.

D-I'm not fan of Surly Abrasive as I think that has similar characteristics as this one but this is much worse. Probably the worst tasting DIPA I have had. Will never buy again.

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from the 12 oz. can into a stemmed glass.

The color has is orange with a bit of a haziness to it that does not make it completely clear through but I can see to the other side. The head is white and is about a finger or two thick with some nice lacing. Seems to be well carbonated as well.

The smell is a bit of orange peel at first. Some CO2 that comes in with that orange flavor and almost makes me cough. Some bitterness is present as well and does come out just a bit.

The taste is citrus but is pretty bitter right out front and just seems to get stronger as it washes over the back of the pallet. It has some bitter and spicy and is better when gulped a bit as opposed to taking small sips. Once past that strong bitterness there are few more flavor that do come out. Some slight green apple seem to be hiding in the background with some slight pair as well.

The feel is a little tough for the unprepared and can be really a shock if you are inexperienced with high bitter IPAs. This beer is well carbonated and a bit effervescent. IT is pretty drinkable once you are used to the bitterness and does down well. Some nice bitter aftertaste that stays for about five to ten seconds after each sip. A good bitter, Imperial IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thank you goes out to Lloyd for thinking of me and picking this up while in Co. Beautiful hazy orange pour with a big fine white head, that leaves nice lacing. Sticky. Good. Pleasant fruity aroma, kind of earthy. Strong. Big citrus hop front with a nice malt back bone. I would compare this to a modus hoperandi if it came in an imperial style. Look out for this one, its one strong brew. It hits you from the start. I had three glasses from the growler in three hours and had to call it a night.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a dark amber with a disappointing thin white head, not much lace. Smell: earthy with some cantaloupe and mild tropical fruit. Taste: mild toffee sweetness, spicy, earthy, a little alcohol and a touch of pineapple aftertaste. Syrupy. Alcohol and earthy/spicy linger. This one was a lot better cool, as it warmed it got earthy and "green" tasting (Summit I assume).

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

A: A hazy light orange with fluffy head and beautiful lacing

S: Tangerine and pineapple

T: Flavor is stonger tangerine and unripe pineapple rind with some strong bitterness. Lots of hot booze here which you'd have to expect from a 10% DIPA.

M: Little booze heat, good carbonation

D: Because of the high ABV, I could only do about 2 of these before I fall out of my chair. Still, a sessionable DIPA, though I think I want to underestimate this because it comes in a can.

4.45/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours with a two finger head of just slightly off-white foam on top of a perfectly clear, golden-orange body. The rocky head settles slowly and leaves nice, thick lace.

S - An intense, pine and grapefruit hop aroma with notes of cedar and pineapple. Some sweet, caramel malt in the background as well.

T - Sweet, toasty malt up front with a strong, bready character. The malt is quickly followed up with sharp hop flavors mirroring those of the aroma. Notes of cedar, basil, grapefruit and pine. Finishes with the hop flavors remaining strong but fading in diversity to just cedar and grapefruit along with strong bitterness and moderate toffee malts for balance. Lingering spicy, woody hops combine with the toffee in the aftertaste to create a woody, cedar like cured tobacco note.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - This is a very nice DIPA that delivers in the way one tends to expect from OB. The hop character is both complex (shockingly complex for a beer brewed with a single hop) and extremely pungent with a particularly spicy leaning. This hop intensity is mirrored in the flavor with strong notes of grapefruit and other, more subtle hop characteristics that combine well with the rich malt. This combination of malt and hops comes together particularly well in the finish and aftertaste, where it creates a woody tobacco character that highlights the moderately toasty notes of the malt. A nice new offering from Oscar Blues and well worth seeking out.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a slightly cloudy gold with low head, little visible carb.

Aroma is dank and resinous, pine and citrus both in the mix.

Flavor is big burst of bitterness upfront with lots of hop flavor, a little warming in the mouth, major resin stickin in the mouth, not that pleasant after a while.

Finish is hoppy and resiny, not that thrilled with the aftertaste ofthis, really overwhelms he rest of the beer.

GUBNA Imperial IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew