GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of GUBNA Imperial IPA Alström Bros
3.46/5  rDev -9.4%

Recieved as bonus from Joe, thanks. Poured into my Sam Adams glassware.

A- Pours a dark gold/orange color with 1-2 fingers of creamy white head leaving clumps of lace.

S- First off some small floral hops with a vegetable scent I can definately pick up onions followed by nice sweet malt on the back end. Seems out of balance with the Summit Hops and massive malt.

T- Starts with a load of sweet malt followed by some weak floral hops that fade to earthy flavor almost like mushrooms or onions, just overpowering sweet malt and Summit Hops rather disjointed but interesting taste.

M- Medium body with nice carbonation however the flavor was mainly one sided heavy sweet malt and some floral hop notes but finished with a nice dry finish and I wanted to continue drinking.

D- After the first can I think I was over the taste and needed to move on but I did think that it was an interesting beer to be tried once. Too one sided on this beer, I like DIPA's but this was too sweet for me. Enjoyed the different taste but will not search out regularly.

2.41/5  rDev -36.9%

So, I've put off reviewing this beer for a while because the first few I've tried have varied greatly and I've been hoping it would find it's groove. Nope. Inconsistent, weird, and just not up to the standards the brewery has set for itself. OB, put the bong down.

The beer poured a nice ambery-orange color with about 3/4 inch of white head that had decent retention and lacing. The aroma was a mix of piney hop and, well, fish. Not as much so as the first couple batches, but still this beer still has a similar aroma to the salmon processing facility on the other end of town. Plus the beer has an underlying scent of onion and garlic. All that applies to the taste as well. Onion, garlic and fish might make for a nice soup, but makes for a lousy beer.

The body is, weirdly, thin AND sticky. Drinkability is almost to the "don't even bother" level.

Overall, I wanted to give this beer lower number scores, but I'm trying to be fair. I cannot recommend this beer. Again, Oskar Blues, it's time for you to put down the bong and focus on your beer.

2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

Appearance - Pours hazy honey with thin, offwhite head which quickly fades. Little lacing left behind.
Smell - Pine/resin, followed by a vegetable stink/dankness. As it warms a cat piss aroma emerges.
Taste - Pine, bitterness, some sweet malt that is overwhelmed by a mix of summit hops, dankness, and a vegetable taste.
Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with a syrupy feel/thickness. Moderate carbonation.
Drinkability - There is a steady bitterness without much of an appealing reason to keep drinking.
Overall - Didn't do much for me, particularly for the money.

1.97/5  rDev -48.4%

Gubna is a lightly hazy orange amber with a nice large off-white head. The aroma is very powerful. Piney up front with a lingering trace of garlic, although near the end it morphed into a sickeningly sweet locker room smell. Just like the aroma, the taste upfront is of a balanced pine hop bittering and a light caramel malt. The garlic takes over on the finish and sticks to the palate along with a good hop bittering. The alcohol is well blended and almost unnoticeable but that is perhaps because of the overwhelming garlic. Mouthfeel is a little sticky but about average for the style.

This is a love it or hate it beer. The garlic is understated at first but begins to build although it never really completely takes over. That locker room smell really stuck with me though. I swear I would catch a whiff from time to time an hour later. I've heard it's a different experience on tap and would be willing to try it again. By the can it is certainly a unique experience, just one I won't be looking to repeat.

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%

12oz can served in a pint glass. Thanks goes to Schmittymack for the canned love.

A: Pours a very nice looking golden orange. There's a half finger of small bubbled head, which hangs around for awhile. Plenty of active carbonation leaves a pitted slick on top. Some decent lacing is there, but slips away.

S: Now this gets right down to it! Dirty, dank, earthy and slightly vegetable hops dominate. There's a slight bit of citrus sweetness trying to peek through, but it's mostly overwhelmed. I'm actually quite fond of it.

T: The earthy, grassy, resiny hops are front and center. Surprisingly there's a good amount of sweetness present from the malts. It does help offset the exclusive Summit hops, but not enough. Some slight bitterness kicks in towards the end and there's a very distinct aftertaste left.

M: To me this is how I wish all DIPA's felt. Big, thick and chewy, but with enough carbonation to prevent them from being sticky and cloying. Almost perfect.

D: Amazingly the 10% ABV is nowhere to be found. That's pretty impressive. However, the Summit hops are pretty brutal on the palate and one 12oz can seemed plenty enough for me in one sitting.

To me the Summit hops are the highlight of Gubna, but also the biggest misstep in this beer. I think if OB's would have used another hop to help balance the Summit, this one could have been a Contender! Still a very solid DIPA though that I enjoyed. But at the same time I can see how this is a polarizing brew.

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

Served in a Sams Adams glass. No hint of carbonation with the opening of the can, although the light amber colored brew develops some fizz with the pour. Aroma is primarily hops, not overwhelming. Taste is a pleasant hoppy brew; strong, a little bit fruity but not super-bitter. Aftertaste is a little strange with a strong alcohol presence. Enjoyable beer, but I'd still rather have a Ten Fidy.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Pours clear amber with a small off-white head. Lacing is fairly light.

S - Very hoppy nose. Strong notes of pine dominate with a considerable amount of garlic coming through as well. A bready sweetness lingers in the background.

T - Starts off with a nice balance of smooth malt sweetness and sharp citrus hop notes. Then the wheels fall off the bus as strong notes of fresh onion and garlic overpower the palate. Being something of a foodie, I'm not necessarily bothered by this, but something about it certainly seems odd. Taste of Italy characteristics aside, there's a nice balance between the malt and hops. The onion/garlic notes calm down a bit as the beer warms, but remain dominant. Onion flavors carry over into the aftertaste. Kissing your sweetheart after drinking this beer is not recommended.

M - Medium-bodied with a somewhat wet finish. Carbonation seems a tad on the low side, but that's forgivable. There's a slight warming effect from the alcohol.

D - If you don't like garlic and onions, a lot, then you probably won't like this beer. I like both, so it's okay in my book. I may even buy it again sometime. It certainly isn't your average DIPA, and I can see why some people would hate it.

1.44/5  rDev -62.3%

4/29/2010

A can split at the Pizza Port bottle shop, courtesy of Overlord. The beer is golden orange with a frothy white head, decent retention, and scattered lacing. The nose exhibits pine, grapefruit, and a caramel malt backing. Alcohol is evident, and there's an abominable onion presence. The taste is of grapefruit and pine with some caramel malt and a big astringent onion kick. The onion flavor is rancid. When Overlord went to look in the coolers I snuck over to the sink and poured the remainder down the sink. Avoid. This is one of the worst DIPAs I've ever had.

2.45/5  rDev -35.9%

I love IPAs and DIPAs...the hoppier the better but I can appreciate balance as well. I had high expectations for this one coming from the makers of Ten Fidy, and all BUT this one is BAD NEWZ!!!!

Pours a nice hazy orange color with a medium size white head. Good retention for a 10.0% beer and good lacing. First pour smell was very nice too....floral and citrus hops...an aura of Double Simcoe and Pliny were dancing in my nostrils.

Then there was the taste...A quick hit of floral hops and citrus/tangerine type flavor...FOLLOWED BY A GAWD AWFUL ROTTEN VEGETABLE/ONION FLAVOR!!!
A subsequent pour produced an aroma to match the lousy taste!!!!

Mouthfeel was probably ok but since it tasted like crap...who cares???? Drinkability is bad....I drain poured the last quarter of the can. I don't think it was a defective can...Maybe something happened in storage or it was a bad batch, but I will wait till next year if and when I try it again. Very disappointing.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

12 oz can into a Bruery Tuip.

A: Orange-gold color with a fluffy head the recedes into a rim around the top. Light lacing at the sip marks.

S: Earthy, funky hops. A unique hop smell for sure. The bitterness is palatable. I can see how this would turn some people off, but I'm digging it.

T: Sharp bitterness attacks. Summit is an interesting hop, for sure. The malt sweetness washes away the bitterness nicely, preparing me for the next sip. It's working well for me.

M: Moderately heavy body. Ample carbonation.

D: The only downside to a beer with this distinct bitterness is that it could become a little tiring. This isn't a Stone Ruination or Moylan Hopsickle type of bitterness. It's different. For that, I applaud Oskar Blues.

I don't know how much Gubna I will drink, as the price isn't really on the mark for me, but I am glad I tried this one.

3.31/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours into my glass a deep reddish orange with good clarity and two fingers of creamy bubbling white head on top. Aromas of weed, cat piss, pine and smidge of citrus. Kinda dirty/earthy in a way as well. Just not very enticing to me overall.

First sip brings brash hops upfront, weedy and grassy with a touch of citrus. Resinous pine notes abound. Caramel malt hints that don't really stand up to the wall of hops. Big bitter finish but overall I don't find the hop profile too be that enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit creamy, however there's a sugary slickness as well that I didn't really like. Overall, a middle of the road DIPA. I don't think it's horrible but it also doesn't leave me desiring more.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from 12oz can...

A- Poured a golden orange color. 1/2 finger fluffy white head. Light soapy lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Citrus hops and light pine hops..some caramel malts in the backing. To be honest when you don't bury your nose in the glass and hold it out a little it smells like some dank weed. Some light catbox like qualities to this beer as well.

T- There is a ton of tropical citrusy hops in the forefront of the beer itself. Some light pine in the second half of the beer but still a light sweetness I can't get over. Some caramel malts take it through the entire rest of the beer with some light hops and spices in the tail end. Interesting taste.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Lighty chewy and for that I don't know if I like it all the way. Hops are everywhere in this beer with resin left all over the teeth lips and palate. Drying alcohol in the back end of this.

D- I'm not one hundred percent sold on this beer. It is good don't get me wrong but I think they should have gone with a different hop. Will try this again but I can see why this beer is a love it or hate it beer. Glad I got to try though.

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Poured into a pint glass (don't know why I grabbed that instead of the tulip, but so it goes). Body is clear, dark golden with a 1-finger eggshell head. Settles to leave good lace. Appears flat -- few bubbles rising.

S: Hops are in the house -- first impression is citrus, but after a couple minutes I get resiny pine and then garlic chives -- like the plant I have growing outside my back door.

T: That garlicky, scallion- or chive-like flavor is there in the taste too, and I don't exactly love it. Green, raw hops mixed with garlic. Hint of rye. Lingering juicy (i.e., not dry) bitterness. Spice at the end of the sip. Heat felt in the belly.

M: Good creaminess, call it medium in heft. Low carbonation levels.

D: OK. Too green and garlicky. Vampires beware.

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

On tap at Brass Rail Deli on 4/19/10.

A - Clear amber/orange with gold tones and slim off-white head that reduced to a patchy film and produced a thin web of lace around the rim of the glass.

S - Gubna emits a pungent blend of citrus and catbox, which elicits an aroma similar to a pineapple drizzled in cat piss... but in a good way. The fume extends to incorporate hints of floral notes, perfume and sweet caramel malt as well.

T - Juicy smack of citrus hops with spicy notes and lots of tropical fruit, especially pineapple and mango. Flavor eventually segues into a dry character with a hint of pine and more spiciness.

M - Medium bodied with an oily texture and subtle carbonation. Finish is dry and spicy with plenty of hop bitterness and a slight alcohol sting on the palate.

D - Really unique DIPA with a bold citrusy character and plenty of spicy and catbox notes. The alcohol remains quite restrained for a 10% ABV, which makes it that much easier to throw back.

3.72/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single of this over the weekend just to finally try one. Poured from a 12oz can into my Southern Tier tulip glass. Poured a clear amber/light copper color with a one finger frothy white head filling the top of the glass. The head shortly faded away but left a little lacing as it did.

The aroma has a big hoppy, citrus and pine smell to it. It has notes of pineapple, grapefruit and pine resin all coming from the bright and bold hops. Some alcohol is present, not a lot but enough to let you know this is a strong beer.

The taste has a big hoppy and citrusy start to the flavor with some of the same pineapple, grapefruit and pine found in the nose. It finishes with a long lasting pine resin bitterness but also has a hot warming alcohol flavor to it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is slightly below average. A very good mouthfeel for the style overall. Drinkability isn't that great for me, one was plenty and don't see myself buying another anytime soon. It wasn't bad but it was a little high in alcohol flavor and hot for a hoppy beer. The hop flavors were pretty good but it could have been better. The 100% Summit hop just didn't do it for me.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a full, creamy head that leaves wisps of lace around the glass

Smell: Bready malt elements along with pithy citrus; I pick up the meaty onion elements as well

Taste: Bitter and pithy from the get-go, with increasing resinous astringency arriving by mid-palate; there is also a hefty malt bill of shortbread and caramel sweetness underneath; after the swallow, the bitterness lingers, adding the oniony element, though there is plenty of residual sugar on the tip of the tongue in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Chalk me up on the side of those who like this brew; sure, it's a little different but that is a good thing to me

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

I really liked this one on the other hand I can see why others might not and it does have its own distinct taste.

This beer really warms you up fast and while not super floral it has a nice kick I think it is cool that it comes in a can as well.

A - light yellow with a thin head.

S - super grassy smelling.

T - Dank hops

M - leaves a bittersweet aftertaste that sticks in the mouth.

D - I thought it was good can't wait to have another at 10% ABV maybe just not too many.

4.23/5  rDev +10.7%

$14.39 a 4-pack at Tower on Buford Hwy. Day-um! Best be tasty.

An aggressive pour yields a lovely golden brown brew that pushes up a thick, rich half-finger cap of ivory foam. Settles out to a thin layer that sticks madly to my tulip glass. Great clarity and glowing color.

Dank, nose of floral, citrusy hops backed with a sweet honey and flour-dusted biscuit. There's an underlying odd note of rotting fruit that is intriguing.

Big juicy tangerine hits up front, followed by a nearly astringent hop bitterness. This is pulled back from the edge by the sweetness of fruit and honey nectar. Mango and papaya notes are perfectly balanced with citric and floral ones. Close your eyes as the alcohol hits in the back of the throat and you have the illusion of a bright, well-made, orange-based cocktail. Long, lingering finish of orange oil and resiny hops.
EDIT: Didn't read about the onion, but after reviewing, I get it, especially as it warms. The dry bitterness and odd earthiness become a bit tiresome late in the glass, but this is meant to be one-and-done. I still like it.

Full, smooth body has a pleasant carbonation that fills the mouth then flushes clean with drying hops and alcohol.

I really enjoyed this beer, even with its big price tag and wierd single hop overload. Bitter, but not rough, balanced with a pleasing blend of honey and fruit flavors, and an obvious but not overwhelming alcohol kick. My idea of a great DIPA, but clearly not for everyone. A lovely treat.

1.28/5  rDev -66.5%

Poured into a snifter on 5/3/10

Dated 4/15/10

GUBNA looks nice with a middle-of-the-road amber color (looks slightly faded in the light) & a creamy two finger head that offers about 50% retention after a few minutes. The head does get thinner over time; retention is ok, though. Sparse strings of lace.

Hmm...this sure smells odd. Odd & quite unpleasant. I suppose you could call it hoppy, but it's all astringent, industrial solvent that singes the nose. Short sniffs are barely tolerable & any time I try to get a good bearing it just leaves me with agitated nostrils. No lie, between the concentrated solvent & some noticeable alcohol this seriously seems like huffing fumes. It gets worse as it warms; with wretched undertones of schwag weed, onion, mold & sewage. Some yeasty bread notes hang in the back, the only thing smelling even remotely close to beer. This is horrible.

The taste is nearly as bad; the only thing it has going for it is being less potent than the nose & even that doesn't help. The most notable flavor is a numbing medicinal, solvent-like quality coupled with something rotten, musty & vile. There's hardly any proper bitterness, just a little dry, brash bitterness coming in toward the end. Instead, it's harsh solvent burn to the max. Lackluster notes of yeast & near-burnt sugars (caramel, especially) are prevalent; normally this would be disappointing, but I'll take anything to cut down on that blasted solvent nonsense.

GUBNA is somewhere between medium & heavy body. Carbonation is very low, which sure does make that rotten flavor stand out. I'm so happy; thanks for that, Oscar Blues. The short lived bitterness mentioned above spends most of its life span lingering on the finish but doesn't quite overpower the other garbage that wants to hang out with it. Ugh.

No, just no. This is terrible. A complete train-wreck, in my opinion. With the exception of the appearance, almost nothing fits the style; it doesn't even work if you think of it as any other style. I feel compelled to finish this out, but I've been contemplating a drain pour since the second sip. It's a chore to finish.

3.82/5  rDev 0%

A - Poured out an exceptionally clear, golden-orange color with a small, white, bubbly head of foam. It had good retention and left some nice lace.

S - It smelled of citrus, pine and grapefruit rind. Some bready maltiness, too. Really good aroma.

T - The flavor was a disappointment from the aroma. Good bitter hops with a strong pine presence but the maltiness doesn't seem to fit. I can't really describe it, but it just wasn't a great malt flavor with the hops.

M - It was very sharp and crisp. Good dry finish and its medium body hid the ABV pretty well.

D - This is good but not great. I'd rather drink their Gordon for a DIPA.

3.28/5  rDev -14.1%

Exactly midway betwen Kruggerand gold and Sunkist orange. The upper third of the glass is filled with a lovely looking chunk of eggshell colored creaminess that has a finely pitting and finely bubbly surface. Good glass coverage as well.

Brewing this beer with 100% Summit hops was not the way to go... but then Oskar Blues didn't ask my opinion. The white grapefruit rind quality of the nose is coupled with an odd (though not entirely unpleasant) musky-spiciness reminiscent of onions. Here's hoping it's cleaned up a little on the palate.

Great googly mooglies, Batman! It looks like GUBNA is a love-it-or-loathe-it kind of ale. I'm somewhere in the indifferent middle. The sheer amount of tongue swamping hoppiness is great, but the flavor combination of the chosen hop and the unconventional malt bill isn't coming together as well as it might have.

Either jettisoning the rye malt or using a more enjoyable hop (I can think of at least 8-10 candidates) would make this much better beer. The latter is a much better idea than the former. Grilled onions are tasty... but not as the focal point in an Imperial IPA. A single can is more than enough, thanks.

The mouthfeel is pretty much where it should be for the style. While bigger and stickier would be good too, that would probably extend flavor linger, which wouldn't be a good thing. Lightly stinging bubbles are both fine and dandy.

It's hard to believe that Oskar Blues sells a ton of this stuff. It's just too 'out there' with respect to flavor. These guys can some amazing ales, but this ain't one of them. If the suggestion box is open... impeach the GUBNA!

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Light Amber..head is quick to dissipate

S- Tons of summit hops. Almost smells like something died in the can.

T- Much like it smells, takes a few sips to get use to. Not the worst beer that I've had.

M- Pretty bitter and a little thick.

D- Either you love this beer or you hate it. I wouldn't run to buy another four pack.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

A -Llight amber with small head that fades fast

S- Like opening up a pack of summit hop pellets on brew day. Dankest hop smell ever possibly. Smell reminds me of onion powder, maybe hints of grapefruit and pine. Only down side to the nose is that it is somewhat one dimensional.

T- Taste follows the smell. Summit hops, summit hops and summit hops then fairly bitter on the finish.

M - I don't know, fairly nice. Hard to tell what is going on with these hops beating you over the head.

D- Quite drinkable. Ten percent alcohol is hidden by those crazy hops.

This is a wild beer. If you like hops you have to love it, or do you?

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

A- Dark yellow and/or light orange (is there a difference? maybe more red in a light orange, so I'll give this one light orange). Touches of head and small bits of lacing.

S- Vegetal and slight cat pee. Eh not my favorite aroma.

T- More sweetness- caramel and hoppiness- than I would expect from the smell. But I'm glad an "Imperial IPA" has a lot of hopiness.

M- Nice bitterness for this beer.

D- Not a bad beer, but not the hops that I'm craving for now.

2.86/5  rDev -25.1%

Canned 3-22-10. Poured into Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

A-Pours a clear amber with a one finger head with moderate retention. Left little lacing, but looks good.

S-Smells like someone created a hybrid pine/onion tree. Part of it smells good, part of it smells bad, so I'll call it a wash and give it a 3.

T-Notes of citrus and pine are washed away in another oniony assault. This really isn't working. Of course it doesn't help that I HATE onions. I keep picking up the onion flavor and its ruining it for me.

M-On the light side of medium, but sticky and coating. The mouthfeel is the highlight of the beer for me.

D-Suffers from the acrid aftertaste and the oniony nose.

Glad I tried it, but I can't see drinking this one regularly. I'd like to try it on tap just to see how it measures up to the can.

So far I have loved everything I have tried from OB. But this one was a swing and a miss.

GUBNA Imperial IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew