GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

GUBNA Imperial IPAGUBNA Imperial IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).

(Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010)
2.9/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- pours a murky yellow to orange color with a thin white head that quickly fades away to a mere lacing, little to zero carbonation

Smell- hops are the with a slight citrus smell but really almost more of a malty sweet nose then a real strong hop jumping out, nice smell but nothing crazy mostly just a sweeter nose, smell is definitely off and bad after warming up just smells off almost like b.o.

Taste- slight bitter hop finish with a little bit of malt up front balancing out sweet and bitter in this beer, spicey hop flavor and bitterness on the finish, its just a bit hollow to me in the flavor lacks some of that big power and bunch I expect from a great double ipa, just has really that hop finish which isnt that stellar of a finish and not much else, non offense flavor but kind of bland

Mouthfeel- light to medium bodied with a creaminess to it that ends very dry

Drinkability- Its easy drinking to me but mostly just because its pretty light for the style, its nothing personally that I would be seeking out again as there are just alot of better examples out there, and I know others have said but from what I remember in the past even there cheaper gordon was a bit more complex and enjoyable, it just lacks that aspect that really makes you look down at your glass and say darn thats good and worth remembering, overally simple though I do have to say it did improve a bit as the temperature warmed and really the nose is simply put just to funky and off, I love this company but this is a swing and a miss to me

Stunner97, Apr 05, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a tulip, Gubna is a nice burnt orange color with a modest head. The aroma is quite fantastic and unique for the style: pine, rosemary, oregano and other spices.

I'm not really sure what to think about the flavor. It's not terrible, but it emphasizes a lot of odd, spicy hop flavors. Cooked vegetables, garlic, and onion powder come to mind, as well as the expected herbal and piney sensations. Not getting a whole lot of the citrus character that Oskar Blues advertises. I can see how some might love this flavor profile, but I just can't hop on the bandwagon, pun intended.

Mouthfeel is well-carbonated, and fairly resinous. Drinkability is not great given the strange flavors and high alcohol content.

I'm glad I only bought a can. I love DIPAs but this is not not my cup of tea.

dasenebler, Apr 05, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

Appearance/Smell: Mid ruby-gold color with a tightly packed head that left nice lacing as it faded. The smell is strongly citrus - sweet lemon and grapefruit. It's enticing and I could smell it as soon as I opened the can so big points for smell.

Taste: Not what I expected from the smell. It has a really weighty body that isn't well-balanced. The spicy, piney hops are pretty aggressive up front, and an unconcealed burn of alcohol content unabashedly chases the hop-shock. The finish is just pungent bitterness and lingers excessively.

Drinkability: I liked it more after a few sips (got used to it? The beer warmed? Gettin' sauced?) but considering its body and alcohol content, I wouldn't reach for more than one... or maybe even more than ½ of one; I think my half from the one I'm splitting will be enough of this beer.

Overall: I guess I'd recommend it to some true hop-head bitterness-seeking IIPA junkie, but this definitely isn't what I'd give a friend to try who didn't already know the style. Maybe in a year or two the edges on this beer with smooth, but consumed fresh, this is a disappointing offering from Oskar Blues whose Dales, Gordon, and even TenFidy (no, I will not admit to liking an Old Chub) are fantastic. C-range.

GregPearson33, Apr 05, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Comes out of the can a see though orangish copper color with an ivory foam head and dispays decent retention.

The smell is quite pungent. I can smell the glass from a foot away! Danky!! Huge whiffs of citrus hops, some pine needles are detected as well. Sweet caramel malts are picked up in the nose, but are nothing in comparision to the huge hops assault. The hops offer up a resiney scent. Nail polish is also in the mix.

The flavor is quite interesting to say the least. It is very hop foward(understatement). Even though the 'typical' citrus/pine hop flavors are present, the bulk of the flavor is very unique for this style. I get some sort of a spicy/meaty/tomato like flavor. This is easily one of the most unique and bitter beers I have ever had. ...and I freakin love it!

THe feel is light to medium body. It seriously drinks like it has a much lower abv than 10 percent. The hops oils make it quite slippery and oily going down. Moderate levels of Co2.

I enjoy the uniqueness of this brew. It was easy to finish 1 or 2. However my palate is officail wrecked. I must now go brush the loose enamel off of my teeth that the hops scraped off.

bonsreeb85, Apr 05, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

After a decent sized earthquake...I needed something to calm me down...and I thought this would be perfect. Poured into a Bruery tulip glass at roughly 45 degrees.

A: A mix of gold and copper colors make up most of the body, which is accompanied by a big white fluffy head and ample amounts of lacing.

S: A big sugary and biscuity malt body comes through pretty strong at first while the hops take a second or two to kick in. Not as floral as other hop profiles, but still a good amount of grapefruit qualities are detectable.

T: The initial sip is a lot of sweet hop flavor and alcohol, but as time goes on...a rich malt body comes in to balance it out. Still, a very sweet IPA that reminds me of an Avery DIPA in many ways.

M: You tell this is a big beer just by the feel, it's almost like I'm chewing it with each sip. The carbonation is right on as well and finish has a touch of dryness...perfect for a DIPA.

D: Even the smell/aroma isn't up to par with some of the more notable DIPA's out there... but the mouthfeel and overall ease this beer has going down the hatchet makes it quite epic in my opinion.

Overall: A good example of a DIPA...and one I'm going to forward to having again. A must try. Cheers!

OlieIPA, Apr 05, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

Gubna pours a clear bronze color with a small creamy white head on top. The foam dissolves quickly leaving behind spots of lace on the glass. Streams of small bubbles rise to the surface.

The aroma is hoppy, but has a weird funkyness to it. There are notes of pine and what I can only describe as orange peels that have aged for a little while. It's not a bad smell, but definitely odd.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer has a firm carbonated fizz on the back of the palate. The flavor is pine and orange citrus with moderate bitterness and lots of peppery spice. In the background is some sweet caramel and toasted malt, but it's a far cry from all the hops and spice. It finishes with a flowery hop taste and leaves behind a slight burn from the peppery spice.

This is an interesting beer. Some odd aromas and flavors and lots of hops. It could use more balance from the malt and maybe some age to take the edge off the spicy hops.

WanderingFool, Apr 04, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +1%

12oz can split with oglmcdgl at the compound, poured into a wine glass after a hop fest.

Gubna(love the name) pours a hazy golden color with some orange slices mixed in as well. Kinda has a hopslam type hue to it. The head is off white with a medium build but it does not quite stick to the glass. The smell is not as bitter as I was thinking coiming from the 100IBU's. The summit hops used are up front and center at a pretty even pace with the malts used. Some citrus and not alot of pine. 10 percent you say, get out of here. Like the nose the alcohol does not come out in taste at all, I was expecting a little bit, but it's well hidden. Grapefruit, mango, caramel, slight bisquit and and even slighter raw vegetal taste in the finish. The feel is kind of thick like sort of like a watered down oil. The Hop resins are stepping out a little bit. Id say above medium bodied with noticable carb. I would drink this again but wont go out of my way for it. Im not quite sold on GUBNA yet and Im a Mel Brooks fan, so maybe a few more cans will make me see what all the fuss is about.

BARFLYB, Apr 04, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Super clear golden color with a one inch head that is slightly meringuey

S: mmmm smells hoppy! cool resinous piney sativa. real nice smell

T: at first taste the malt holds back the hops a little bit until I swallow and the KAPOW with bitterness. After a few sips my taste buds mellow out so I dont get to much pine or any specific flavor.. just hops. no real citrus to it at all

M: not to malty slickness yet not a bitter dry mouth. good amount of carbonation

D: the beer goes down really smooth especially for 10%. I could down a couple of these while grilling out or anything outside really easy. I would love to taste this on tap because Gordon is super delicious fresh and i think this would be the same.

chefmikeanderson, Apr 04, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a lovely transparent golden with a fine-bubbled off-white head. Strongly hoppy aroma has a hint of citrus. Fiercely hoppy, evergreen flavor has an undertone of sour orange. Smooth yet tingly and lively texture leaves a hoppy and citrus finish. A must for hop-heads.

Cyberkedi, Apr 04, 2010

Poured into snifter...

A: Pours a crisp clear golden orange hue with a small one finger head of creamy foam. Lacing is pretty solid.

S: Big aroma of citrus and pine hops very juicy and fresh, but also pick up that bit of off putting pork/hot dog flavor that others have been talking about. However, its not bad, and if you aren't looking for it then its tough to pick up. Also get a bit of garlic but just a hint and again, not off putting.

T: Huge juicy citrus hop profile, the summit hops are huge here, some tangerine, a little orange peel, faint grassyness on the finish. The garlic is a little present in the finish as well, but again, not really off-putting and hard to pick up. Overall its a huge mouth-full of juicy fresh summit hops. Pretty delicious and not boozy at all, very balanced for 10%.

M: Medium body with nice carbonation and smooth dry finish. Not cloying as one might suspect from the big malts.

D: For 10% this is very drinkable and smooth, the malt gets a little sweeter toward the finish as it warms, but overall this is a delicious beer and love to see it in a can!

RedBrewer83, Apr 04, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

Thanks Greg for the can. I was interested in trying this.

Pours a golden orange color into my tulip with a nice, tight white head. Good lacing and retention. Slight haze.

Aroma is simply very hoppy. The summit hops fill the nose with a full, juicy, fruity smell with a pine edge to it. I also get a bit of kiwi as it warms. It's strong enough to fill my hop crave. The summit hop is versatile but I think this would be better if it had another variety in it.

The taste is kind of strange. I'm getting a touch of hot dog up front, as well as some garlic. There is also a sweet honey flavored malt character followed by a lingering bitter finish with all the citrusy hop flavor to go with it. I'm not really digging the taste of this beer.

The mouthfeel is about as good as it gets though. It is smooth and silky, with low carbonation and a lingering oily finish. The drinkability was okay. It wasn't a chore to finish this beer...that was easy even for 10%. It just was a little strange tasting, and I'm not sure I'll have this again.

jeffthecheff, Apr 03, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured crystal clear and gold, looked a bit heavy during the pour. A thin off-white cap quickly formed and left sticky lace on the glass. Good head retention. Very fruity aroma, pineapple, lots of citrus with grapefruit dominating. Faintly catty with green, grassy hop notes and a bit of sweet malt. Bitterness was solid throughout, but stayed nicely balanced with big malt and fruity sweetness. Alcohol was forward, but not hot. More tropical fruit with lingering bitterness. Full bodied with moderate carbonation, very smooth and viscous. Great drinkability for sizable IIPA, pleasant alcohol warmth and bitterness without destroying the palate completely.

DrJay, Apr 03, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not entirely sold on this one. It is another fine beer by OBGB but it has some flaws on the back end that detract from what could have been a really first rate DIPA. The beer pours a clear slightly orange amber, although light, color with just a touch of lace and not a lot of head. The beer pours quite thick and syrupy. The nose is a blast of pine hops and just about whatever coniferous bush or shrub related to pine you can find. There is a touch of orange citrus hop in the nose, but this is about as piney a beer that you'll find.

The taste is quite sweet and syrupy. The piney hops predominate, but thankfully there is more balanced hop flavors in the orange and citrus line of things. The juicy and estery hops are very pungent in this beer. There is a slighly booze soaked pineapple layer here, lots of sweet malts, and a barley wine type consistency. There is a cloying, and unpleasant biting sensation on the back of the tongue from this beer that I'm not happy about. It is as if some raw hop cones got out of line and wanted to produce a crude harshness and bite on the tongue. They succeeded. This needs to be tamed. There is a load of ABV in this beer and it does nothing to hide any of it. This is a strong, thick, syrupy DIPA with lots a very good qualities, but the biting and harsh bittering sensation really detracts.

albern, Apr 03, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

poured into a de ranke tulip

pours light copper with hints or orange. very little head and what head there was retained a bit.

at first i got some floral hop notes. mostly light skunk, smoked meats (ewww!), bitter malts. idk.

up front it is rather muted, nothing really sticks out. then the bitterness kicks in and this is one bitter DIPA, lots of pine. nice sweetness. malts are rather silent. a nice booze flavors through out.

lots of resin, syrup, and booze burn (ohhh mah poor gums)

meh, not that impressed to be honest. this did improve as it warmed up but i started it at 46 degrees. after having several other oskar blues ales, this really does not come through. tons of bitterness but no complexity. besides the pine bitterness, nothing else really stands out. its not bad but not something ill seek out for how much this costs ($4 /can).

hooliganlife, Apr 03, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

12oz can poured into a tulip.

Pours deep, crystal-clear golden amber with an initial small cream-colored head that actually grows after the first pour into a thick creamy head that recedes to a small cap. Minimal lacing.

The aroma is hoppy but not with citrus hops - it's all about the herbal spiciness and some resinous pine. Some others have mentioned this but it does smell a bit like weed.

The taste has an initial juicy citrus presence that didn't come out in the aroma, but it gives way quickly to the spicy and resinous herbal hop flavor that leaves a sticky finish.

The mouthfeel is fairly thick and sticky on the palate with some moderate carbonation but with small bubbles that keeps it less lively overall.

This is certainly a unique double IPA with the herbal presence dominating with only a bit of citrus and sweet malts to balance things out. Still, I really enjoyed this one, though I couldn't see myself drinking more than one at a time.

gford217, Apr 03, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: minimal head, clear, orange-yellow in color

Smell: pine hops and funk

Taste: pine hops, oregano--almost pizza like, and some other flavor--perhaps barbeque sauce-very interesting

Mouthfeel: light bodied, medium carbonation, funky with a slightly bitter aftertaste

Drinkability: This is about as different an IPA as I have ever had. I do want this again, but I am not sure if I would ever drink more than one in a night.

tigg924, Apr 02, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Much thanks to psycohops for tossing a few cans of this my way. Canned with care on 3-15-10. Poured into my nonic Imperial pint glass. GUBNA appears a clear golden copper color with about a finger of quickly vanishing off white foam. The head leaves no discernible lace behind. Nose and flavors consist of alcohol, ripe pineapples, other tropical fruits such as mango, citrus-y orange and tangerine, caramel, a of bit dank weed, some pine, candy coating like on a candy apple. The taste does not live up to the complex aromas, but it is no slouch either. Just not mind blowing. Body is bit lacking with decent carbonation. The alcohol burn hurts the drinkability for me just a tad, otherwise it would be a 4.5 especially considering the ABV. I saw the bottom of my glass quite quickly. Thanks again for the cans Bob!

ClockworkOrange, Apr 02, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -16%

A-Dark gold. really tiny white head. almost clear.

S-Hops hit me the second I open the can. Tropical fruit and pine. Some tangarine and maybe mango. Very light bready malt.

T-weed and citrus. Very earthy. Firmly bitter. Very strange bitterness, bordering on astringent.

M-medium dry. Medium-low carbonation. No alcohol heat. Slightly astringent.

D-I wish the flavor was exactly like the aroma. This beer smells wonderful but the taste seems like a mess. Nothing melds. The bitterness is overwhelming, hop flavor is confusing and the malt is hidden.
Bits and pieces of this beer is great, but the flavor is lacking.

organicbrewer, Apr 02, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a light amber color with a thin, wimpy head that fades fast. Can seems a bit undercarbonated.

S: Pineapple, grapefruit, strawberries, hop oil resin. A faint hint of coconut.

T: Tropical fruit foundation braces for the hop onslaught that follows. Intense bitterness, in the form of 100 IBUs, yields to flavors of citrus rind pith and grapefruit. Next up is a spicy middle that finishes clean and dry before defaulting back to bitterness. Surprisingly, not that much heat for 10% ABV.

M: Slick hop oil coats the palate throughout.

D: One and you're done.

CaptainIPA, Apr 02, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -30.4%

pours a clear orange with a decent amount of white head that sticks to the glass like glue. not a lot of bubbling.

smells very earthy. reminds me a lot of marijuana. some pine, and pine sap. obscene amount of pineapple and other tropical fruits. some grapefruit, but not as much as expected. some caramelly malt, too. much different from what i expected from a DIPA. it smells tropical and earthy, kind of has a funk to it.

tastes weird. has more of that marijuana and funk to it. pineapple is there, grapefuit, too, pine, yah, but its just overpowered by the dank, acrid marijuana flavor. some tart tropical fruits like mango, passion fruit, guava. more tart than bitter. aftertaste is earthy, peppery,

mouthfeel is light-medium. prickly with a hop bite on the back of the tongue. prickliness stays on the tongue for a while.

drinkability is not great. no real alcohol burn for a beer this strong. its there, but not bad. its just a bit too tart and pungent to be easily quaffed.

a different take on the style. not like any beer i've had. not terrible, but I'm glad i bought only the one can. probably won't visit this one again. canned two weeks ago on 3-15-10, so freshness is not a problem. I can see why people like it, yet its just not for me.

silentjay, Apr 02, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +1%

Dark straw color with a golden hue and a thin white head that fades quickly.
Smell is hops and malts, with the hops dominating. Some pineapple and other citrus notes mingling in there.
Taste is pretty even balance of hops and malts up front, both carry through with some more citrus joining in halfway through. Interesting tomato soup flavor comes in at the back of the mouth at the bitter finish.
Mouthfeel is slightly heavy, with a fairly low level of carbonation. Typical for a high ABV IPA.
Drinkability is good. Alcohol is well-hidden.

Parrotbeak, Apr 02, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Reviewed solo on a nice and warm afternoon for once...

Appearance: Poured a 1 1/4 finger head that dissipates to a film to allow spotty lacing. Clear orange in color.

Smell: Pleasant and surprising for a can IPA, rich hop nose with a a twinge that a bunch of Imperial IPA's have, must be the hop oils used on the west coast.

Taste: Opens with a caramel malt and a hint of floral hop. Towards the middle the hop profile as well as hop bitter becomes more apparent as the finish approaches leaving a hop bitter, floral aftertaste. There is a slightly twinge on my palate.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with moderate carbonation, slightly spicy to me and the hops are a bit astringent to my palate.

Drinkability: I would have this again, and would love to try this on tap. I recommend this to those seeking a floral Imperial IPA with a solid hop profile throughout your sip.

capra12, Apr 01, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a crystal clear light copper color with a 1.5-finger white head. The head slowly recedes into a thin layer on top leaving thick rings after every sip.

Smells very good. Large amounts of pine and tropical fruit aromas with hints of bitter citrus rounding things out. As it warms the pine hops come even more to the forefront.

Tastes good. Pale malt flavors kick things off and are quickly overtaken by the hop flavors. The hop flavors are made up mostly of pine but there are also solid amounts of citrus and lighter amounts of tropical fruit flavors hidden in there. All these carry through to a solidly bitter finish. Mild alcohol becomes evident as it warms.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a surprisingly viscous thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more despite the high ABV.

Overall I really liked this beer although I can't say I was all that surprised, I don't think I've had a beer from OB that I've disliked. A few tweaks to the hop bill would help out the flavor profile just a bit but I'm really just nitpicking. Well worth a shot.

glid02, Apr 01, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

poured straight outa can inta the goblet. almost a glowing, translucent amber with carbonation everywhere! frothy white head that left lacing all the way down. nice looking beer!

was not expecting the syrupy sweet smells on the nose! malts, cloves, pineapple, tangerine... with a hint of alcohol as an undertone

wow, not sure if I've tasted anything like this before! starts really sweet... pineapple, lemon, malts, yeast & rye. sweet tastes give way to a boozy, alcohol taste. don't really taste the hops but the bitter aftertaste lingers on the palate

medium to full body. rather viscous and thick on the tongue. hefty amount of carbonation but the sweet flavor & alcohol makes it feel thick

very unique experience and enjoyed the beer. not sure I would say it is real drinkable due to the sweetness & boozy taste on the end. all in all, good beer.

haddon, Apr 01, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Love Oskar Blues, I'm expecting a hop bomb..Here goes.

Hard pour into duvel tulip. Orangy light brown color with a bright white head. Fantastic thick, oily lacing that slowly subsides. This smells fantastic, similar to a pliny with citrusy grapefruit, hops and pine...Very aromatic. First impression on the taste; this is a heavy duty high test extreme brew! The first taste is some syrupy malt somewhat similar to a barelywine, with an intense very strong bitter finish and the expected alcohol warmth. This is surely intense! (coming from a lupulin threshold victim). But the citrus hop taste that I thought I detected in the nose is not to be found here! This is a thick oily, mildly cloying beast, with very low drinkability (for me). If you want an extreme beer, you've found it. The quality is there for sure. I'm sure I'll revisit.

jstilwell, Apr 01, 2010