GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

GUBNA Imperial IPAGUBNA Imperial IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).

(Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010)
4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into my pint glass.

Hard pour yields a finger and a half fluffy white head. Very clear golden with a tinge of amber in color. No evidence of bubbles traveling through the glass. Head retention is still nice with good lacing.

Smells of dank, pine, resin and grapefruit. The grapefruit is probably most noticeable. Sweet light malty fragrance, rye is most noticeable. Could be more pungent. Almost reminds me of toned down PtE with rye in the nose.

Taste is of light sweet honey malts, some spicy rye. Malts come with more force in the taste. Hops come through as pine, resin and citrus (mostly grapefruit). Alcohol is present as well.

The mouthfeel is slightly syrupy. Heavy body. On the high end of low carbonation. Kind of warm in the mouth and on the way down.

The price alone is discouraging, but everytime I buy a four pack I drink it in one or two days.

billshmeinke, Mar 31, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Pour is a bright gold with a nice head that leaves tons of lacing. Nice looking beer. Smell is, well, uh, interesting? Is that garlic? I get some hops behind it but the garlicy smell is odd. Man, not sure what to think about this one - the taste also has something odd though not as much as the smell. I at least get a nice punch of hops upfront, but the after taste brings back the garlicy thing. Mouth feel is normal. Drinkability was heading for a 2 - 2.5, but I am noticing improvements across the board as it warms - I am not sure that it isn't that I am used to the smell or that it really is mellowing. Think I'll have another in a day or 2 to see what the story is.

Popkas, Mar 31, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

12 ouncer, $3.99/can(!) at Whole Foods Bowery in NYC. I can find no dating info, although one previous reviewer did refer to it. Pours typical lighter amber, with a slight grenish olive oil hue, off white head is tight knit, moderate in volume, then leaving a thicker film, medium collar and ample scattered and fine lace. Loads of pine hop goodness in the nose. Big and bold DIPA, pine hop notes continue to exert their muscle and dominate the palate. Nice addition to the OB line..wonder what is availability will be on the East coast. Hop heads seek out and enjoy

Billolick, Mar 31, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -27%

Time to try this new Oskar Blues offering. Nice 2+finger fluffy white head on a very bright brass colored beer. Perfect clarity. Clinging lacing all in the glass.

Aroma is strong and fresh. Lots of tropical fruit, some sweetness and a whiff of alcohol. Floral perfumy and a little pine.

Wow, the taste takes you a little by surprise vs the aroma. Huge alcohol flavor and presence. Actually tastes higher than 10% abv. We comment sometimes that beers hide the abv well. This is the opposite of that. It seems to amplify this. Brutally bitter finish that mixes with the abv.

Lays oily and thick on the tongue, abv makes this almost hot.

I'm frankly not a fan here. By far the laggard of the Oskar Blues line.

Reagan1984, Mar 30, 2010

Can is dated 3-15-10, probably as fresh as I could get on the east coast. Pours a pretty bright orange, 1-finger foamy white head is kept alive by numerous carbonation bubbles. A bit of sediment floats in a standstill. Leaves good lacing. I could smell this easily while pouring it, a seriously STRONG citrus smell, it's like sticking your nose inside a tangerine. Also picking up somewhat dank, earthy notes. I'm taken a bit back on my first sip. A seriously sweet tangerine taste. Ripe orange peels if you rolled them around in hops, dirt, cannabis, and sugar cane. I still can't stop smelling this one, the nose is insanely fresh smelling. Any trace of booze is really hidden by the strong tastes. Almost like a beer-version of one of those strange Dole fruit combo drinks (orange-pineapple-pomegranate juice). Definitely unlike any other IPA I have had. The flavors here are pretty excellent but I think they're a bit over the top, the sweetness is way too high. If it was toned down or balanced better this may enter Sculpin-esque territory, because the fruity tastes here really are great. Mouthfeel is good, very oily and a little creamy. Carbonation is at a good level, booze is very hidden until the end when it shows slightly. Drinkability I gotta pin at a 3.5, the sweetness gets to you, and the price ($16/4-pack) is pretty much inexcusable. I'd say pick up a single and try it out, definitely worth trying at least once. A great and original one here from Oskar Blues.

Chico1985, Mar 30, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a large wine glass, the Gubna pours an orange golden color with just a hint of haze. A soapy half inch of foam offers moderate retention and nice artsy lacing. What a welcome looking brew compared to Gordon.

Blast of malt cloaked hops on the nose. Bit reminiscent of an Alpine brew on the nose with citrus and wet pine, and some yeast notes a bit later. Taste follows with citrus and a nice spicy character. Offers a slightly coarse texture and finishes with a return of a lightly creamy orange malt presence. Carbonation becomes light by the bottom of the glass, but the beer doesn't become cloying, yet hides its strength well. Still a bit sweet but not unexpected from the brewery, or for the style, and particularly at 10%....

HalfFull, Mar 30, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

a - Pours an orange golden color with an inch of white head. Little carbonation evident.

s - Lots of hops. Smells mostly of citrus (orange, lemon, and grapefruit) and pine hops. Reminds me a bit of HopSlam but without the honey/sweetness to it.

t - Again, all hops. I thought the piney hops were more prominent than the citrusy hops in the taste, which was the opposite of the smell. A bit of bitterness to it.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Little bit of alcohol comes through.

d - I thought this was an ok DIPA. The smell originally reminded me of HopSlam a little bit, but the taste wasn't quite there. I think the high alcohol here hurt it a little bit and was noticable. Not a bad DIPA, but a little bit disappointing.

mdfb79, Mar 30, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance - Apple juice color, bright white head, nice lacing.

Smell - Citrus, citrus rind, grapefruit, hoppy hopiness

Taste - Not as bitter as many double IPAs, very enjoyable. Sweeter than many double IPAs, orange and tangerine flavors, not a ton but a little bit of grapefruit as well. Bitter smack on the end in the throat.

Mouthfeel - Like butter, very thick for an ipa, great carbonation level

Drinkability - I could drink this all day long, alchohol is extremely well hidden, only problem is the rediculously high cost for this ipa.

macmaster761, Mar 29, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

so i have been hearing alot about this beer so i went a bought a single of it to give it a whirl

well the beer starts out with a nice yellow hue and nice white head then. the smell is very pungent but not in a bad way i kind of like it and it very resiny with some odd kind of off citrus notes. the taste os kind of off i feel like its missing something and has to much a one thing i attribute thats the sole use of summit hops. i feel like if they deverified the hops a bit this beer could have been great. the drink and mouth feel are fine

SpruceFish, Mar 29, 2010

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for this can.

Pours a slightly hazed golden color with about two fingers of light ivory head. Keeps a pretty full lace all the way to the bottom, with some decent webbing on the sides too.

Smell hits you in the face right out of the can with a big blast of stinky cheesy, dank armpit, pithy grapefruit goodness (yes those are all good things in my book). There's some sappy pine there too and a bit of sweetness, plus some juicy orange. Mmmm.

Taste is a bit stranger than the smell...those stinky hoppy aromas that I enjoy are a bit more weird on the taste buds. There is some grapefruit, which is very bitter and pithy, and some pine, but there is definitely a stinky cheese quality to these hops that have a very unique taste. I like it, but I can't say I love it. Not a whole lot of malt to speak of, outside of a touch of sweetness for balance, although the alcohol is very well hidden so that's good.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and pretty smooth. Good creaminess to it, and the carbonation is on the soft side.

This is one weird DIPA. These Summit hops are strange, and while I enjoyed this I think I'd like something a bit more citrusy and, frankly, mainstream for my everyday DIPAs. A very interesting beer; definitely worth picking up and giving a try.

number1bum, Mar 29, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Yay, another awesome beer in a can, this time a DIPA from Oskar Blues, what could be better... except a beer with Eddie Vedder.

A: Pours a large 2 finger fluffy head that retains very well. It's pretty clear with a darker golden orange with hints of red color.

N: I could smell it on the pour. Tons of hops, especially fresh wet hops. It has that very fresh wet hop aroma, with lots of musty hops, as well as some pine, citrus, some earthy chewy hops, and some strange orange peel cotton candy like aroma. The only thing I can think of it reminds me of is Gumballhead. A weird fresh fruit aroma can also be detected, hidden in the back.

T: Starts very weird, again reminds me a lot of gumbalhead. I really think they are trying a Gumballhead clone here with more hops. It has a strange fruity and chewy taste at first, with some sweet malts. Lots of sweet malts in fact, with a little syrupy sweet flavor. With that is lots of bitter hops, some pine, citrus, fresh wet musty hops, earthy chewy hops, and even spicy hops. Nothing really overpowering. I even get some cotton like flavors. I really can't get past that strange fruity almost gummy bear like flavor at first. It also has a lot of musty fresh wet hop flavors. As it warms, I get more piny flavors, and some metallic tin flavors... hop thats from the yeast and crazy hops and not the can, although I haven't had any issues from the other Oskar Blues cans.

M: Chewy, thick, and almost syrupy, with lots of bitterness and lower but decent carbonation.

F: Even more bitter as it seems to build, but that strange gumball/gummy bear fruit flavor also come through on the beginning of the finish, but seems to give way to the heavy fresh musty wet hops. The heavy bitterness just sticks around, bombarding the tongue. Crazy, and doesn't seem to want to fade. It's a little drier due to the crazy hop bitterness, but still sticky sweet from the heavy malts. I think I could call this beer a triple version of Gumballhead. It's nice to know I can get some of the weird 3F flavors distributed here, but the heavy sweetness and ridiculous amount of hops almost overpowers it and takes away from the crazy 3F flavors.

jlindros, Mar 28, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz aluminum can from the fridge.

Pours light copper with sparkling clarity and a thin, white head. Not much retention to speak of, a few whisps on the surface and some clingy strings of lacing.

Aromatics lead off with a blast of pungent tangerine pith with cracked garlic in the back. A trace of malt tries to step forward but this beer is all about pithy, resinous tangerine peel and dank, sweaty onions.

Medium bodied with a chewy, sticky, gummy mouthfeel. Resin gum.

Bright, assertive, citrus pulp starts the palate, with shades of Grand Marnier, orange oil, and tangerine seeds.
A tounge-wrapping bitterness steps quickly forward and doesn't let go until the mild alcohol dilutes it.
Light malt to balance and a warmth builds in the throat.

Finishes with chewy tangerine pith, gripping bitterness, and a boozy warmth.

A great IIPA to try if you really want to know what Summit hops are all about. Very resinous, dank, and filled with tangerine pulp. Mildly tannic and astringent in that aspect.
If this beer is too big or hoppy for you, trying adding some water or go to bed.

Totally overpriced at $5.45 per can though, one and done on this one.

brewandbbq, Mar 27, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Pour - strong golden color with some bright orange hues. Almost an inch of bone white head on top. Pours damn nice out of the can.

Aroma - i'd be lying if I didn't say that the first smell that hit me full force was that of marijuana. My god, this smells like some seriously potent (and probably quite "dank") weed and I am not exaggerating at all (at all). It quickly becomes piney and ridiculously citrusy with an eruption of grapefruit that practically burns the nose. This has all the aromatic makings of one hell of a hoppy brew.

Taste - big and sweet up front, almost fruity, sort of like strawberry. That was rather unexpected. The hops kick into overdrive soon after the initial flavors and the full on resiny, piney bitterness truly takes over. The warmth from the alcohol accompanies all those strong flavors quite nicely. Lots of tropical fruit flavors abound, think Cara Cara oranges, mango, pineapple and passionfruit. This is also a bit syrupy but hell its 10% so its got to have some thickness to it. My tongue is going numb but my insides are nice and warm. My hop fix has been more than met.

Overall - this reminds me a bit of their Gordon but a tad better in my opinion. Its strong and a bit sweet but has way more hop flavor and balance, even at a higher ABV. I really am amazed how smooth and easy drinking this is at 10%. Similar to Bell's HopSlam in that regard. Great stuff and definitely worth a try.

Would I buy more of it? - yeah, I definitely would seek this out again. I've got 3 more cans which should last a little while but when they're gone I will go in search of some replacements.

indiapaleale, Mar 27, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -43.6%

A: Pale, light amber. Fair amount of bubbles. Small head with very light lacing.

S: Extreme hoppiness. Very vegatal. Somewhat grassy, decomposing leaves/mulch. Very little citrus, perhaps more pineapple mixed with evergreen?

T: First hit is nice bitterness, but unfortunately followed immediately by strong vegetal flavor. The vegetal taste is overwhelming and not very appealing. Not much else makes it past the vegetal taste which is unfortunate.

M: Mild carbonation. Slight bite on the back of the tongue from the hops.

D: Just not there. Struggling to finish one. Needs something to balance out the vegetal flavor.

purflyers, Mar 27, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -33.1%

Grabbed a four pack of this at Bermans in Lexington. Pours out orange, with about two fingers of white heading. Smell is pof dank, pine hops, but there is also something off putting in there as well, cannot quite put my finger on it. Taste is dominated by the hops, and has a sour quality to it as well. Metallic as well at times. Not a whole hell of a lot of balance either, as the hops totally dominate. Overall I am pretty bummed, as OB tends to make awesome stuff. Not recommended.

jamie2dope, Mar 27, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

This is a unique DIPA. Kudos for doing an all Summit IPA. They rye is a nice addition, I'm guessing it's about 10% rye in the grain bill. It gives the beer a spicy flavor and smooth mouthfeel. I love summit hops, but for me the sweetness distracts from the hops. Lowering the abv to 8-9% might help to dry this beer out, and smooth the alcohol burn. Nice effort, but it needs to be refined a bit.

jamdugan, Mar 27, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

Drinking a can that is 11 days old. Looks neon yellow coming out of the can but is a true golden orange. Smell is like if you put your face in a barrel of fresh hops. Taste exactly matches it. It's really bitter to be sure, but not punishing. Its seriously like chewing on a summit hop cone, and I don't mean that as a figure of speech. Really resinous. That's really what it is like. Slight alcohol burn adds a nice touch at the end. Finish is pretty dry. This is definitely unique.

EDIT: Had another can from this batch. The aroma has died considerably, as have the hops. Now there is an astringent bitterness, some onion flavors in the aftertaste that take away from the experience. Drinkability now is much lower.

squaremile, Mar 27, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Brewed 3/15/10. 11 days fresh.

appearance - poured with a massive 3 finger head that begins to fade away as it sits, a decent orange/amber in color

smell - resinous hops on the nose with some malt/caramel tones

taste - tastes very much like the smell, the hops are strong, very characteristic of a west coast ipa, finishes with a balance of malt

mouthfeel - medium light with some respectable body and creaminess

drinkability - this is a great ipa, the hop flavor is amazing, it's not a session beer

djbreezy, Mar 27, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

looks illustrious and distinguished - a golden child of the can. grapefruits and apricots dominate the aroma and, though they are still present in the flavor, there is a thuggish sweetness that makes me feel uncomfortable. like i might get asked to play a game of 1 on 1. look, i'm trying to drink a beer here. too much on the sweet side, let's let the yeast do what its supposed to, dry it out, lessen the grain bill, let those summit hops shine on.

we'll try this again in the future...

which gives this beer a slight upgrade for new nobility. Look, I like sitting drunkenly in a Caterpillar as much as anybody, but I still take the Gubna's orders.. more to come ..

olympuszymurgus, Mar 27, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a clear golden to light amber color with a nice thin layer of a white creamy head. The foam sticks to the side of the glass like wallpaper. (if you can imagine that) Has a medium amount of carbonation, but unlike other beers I've seen, the carbonation starts from the sides of the glass ascending upward as opposed to originating in the bottom of the glass - unique.

The aroma is unique, more so than any D-IPA I've encountered. I'm not at all impressed with the aroma as it has a vegetable/grassy type of smell up front. Get some citrus and pine tang but it plays a back seat to the weird vegetable smell. I may need another can of this on another day to make sure my nose isn't playing tricks on me. Other than that, I'm not detecting much more.

Taste is exceptional and certainly makes up for the lackluster aroma. Flavor is a little herbal, hoppy citrus, pine, some pineapple, and a slight malt backbone. The sip starts out with primarily citrus rinds, maybe a little pine, moves into a peppery/spicey middle, then finishes with the citrus rind that was apparent in the beginning. Finishes semi-dry, and has some booziness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth and I have to say, I was very surprised by the velvet sensation on the tongue, very nice. The ABV warms the throat a little bit.

Drinkability could run dangerously high with this beer but given it's potent alcohol volume, I had to dial back the points a little bit.

Hey, I'm not complaining, this is a darn fine Imperial IPA. Is it worth all the hype it's received over the past few months? The jury is still out on this one since it's only my first can. However, I can tell already that I'll enjoy the rest of the case. Definitely worth checking out.

ADDENDUM:
One week later since my reveiw and I have to say I like this stuff more and more as I work through the case. It's by far the spiciest IPA I've ever had and I'm really impressed Oskar only used one type of hop. I need to grab another case of this before it's gone for another year.

jzeilinger, Mar 27, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

First, thanks to my buddy Bruce for sending me this hop bomb.

Poured into a Bell's snifter

A: light to medium gold in color with a decent 1/2 inch off white head. Thick lacing on the glass as I drank it down.

S: interesting on the nose. must be the all summit hops. piney mixed with heavy grapefruit and orange.

T: tastes like it smells. huge hop bite to it. pierces the back of the tongue. the malts are there but mostly just hops. tastes a little bittersweet. almost like candy grapefruit.

M: feels oily and sticky in the mouth. good carbonation

D: very drinkable for %10 abv but could easily sneak up on you when drinking a 4 pack.

Would absolutely recommend every hophead try this one. Price is a little steep but you probably only need 1 4 pack anyway. Cheers!

CosmoHopHead, Mar 26, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz can into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear amber body with a finger of dense tan foam. decent retention and some spotty lace. Nice.

S: Overwhelmingly resinous, herbal (cannabis) hop aroma, without much else at all. Maybe a bit of spice, and a definite touch of cat piss. According to my drinking buddy, "it smells like a cat pissed in my bag of weed." Not bad, but not the best.

T: Nice herbal hops up front, with a solid caramel malt sweetness as well. Some booze on the bitter, sticky finish. Pretty tasty.

M: Smooth, but a bit undercarbonated.

D: High alcohol + low carbonation + cat piss = not the most drinkable DIPA, but it's tasty enough that I really can't complain.

Notes: I was really excited to try this one, as I love both DIPAs and Oskar Blues. How could this go wrong? It was definitely a solid beer, but I wasn't a huge fan of the all-summit hop bill. Oh, and $15/4-pack is ridiculous. At least TenFIDY is an amazing example of its style - this is just so-so.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Mar 26, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours brilliantly clear gold with a pure white head standing at one inch. Average head retention and only some sticky lacing leaves this beer looking only "good."

Smell is very interesting. Peaches, rosemary and cinnamon can be found in the scent on a background of catty hops. A small hit of caramelly malt suggests a bit of sweetness.

Taste doesn't disappoint, and I've heard a lot of expression of disappointment surrounding this brew. Peaches, rye and a lot of herbally, dank hops. Crystal malts (though these are not really expressed in the very pale color of the beer), more cattiness, and a wallop of alcohol on the finish when the beer approaches room temp.

Quite hot, especially at room temp, but with a nice and creamy low level of carbonation. Finishes surprisingly clean, without a lot of residual oiliness.

This beer is pretty refreshing and an easy drinker, but there's a lot of odd hop flavors going on here that require attention to be appreciated. I think I'd like another variety or two of hops in here to complement each other and make this a more delicious beer. As it stands, this is an unbelievably interesting IPA, but that's not enough to get me to shell out 4 bucks a can consistently.

photomike, Mar 26, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Pink Grapefruit in a can-- the scent literally blew me away as I was pouring it. But the overall impression is that this is a failed attempt to mimick the success of their superior Dale's Pale Ale with a more over-the-top version.

A= very clear deep golden, decent white head which settles quickly to little more than a rim. Not much carbonation activity visible.

S= seriouly huge pink grapefruit, I'm not getting the pine that others either mention or complain about. This was like sticking my nose into a freshly cut pink grapefruit.

T= pink grapefruit but a bit unbalanced for my preferences, almost too sweet and out of balance. The only feature that's in balance here is the modest amount of carbonation. Up-front too-liquor taste. Not all that bitter in my experience, I'm surprised that it pulls a 100IBU. Just really pink grapefruit, liquor and then the malts which don't seem to match. The malts seem to create more of an off-putting stale dusty flatness.

My overall impression of the taste is something like squeezing an entire pink grapefruit out into buckwheat or rye bread batter and dumping in a shot of whiskey.

M= flat, slightly sour-dough, lightly oily, and pink grapefruit with some annoying liquor and off-balance sweet residues.

D= I'm struggling with this one can, and not enjoying the excessive ABV% that is only diminishing any enjoyment. If you do like this stuff, be sure to find their Dale's Pale Ale if you haven't had it (also in a nuveau-trend can). It's got better flavor and less un-necessary ABV.

therica, Mar 26, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

12oz Hop Grenade can (canned on 3/15/10...10 days ago). Poured into a Brooklyn snifter.

A - Pours a perfectly clear and bright, pale amber color with a short lasting finger of fine white head that settles to a thin collar and a skim coat on the surface. No lacing is left behind on the glass.

S - A quick swirl of the glass releases a huge hop aroma. Citrus is way up front with grapefruit leading the charge, a bit of sweet orange blossum and a strong pineapple presence round things out. A bit of pine also and maybe a very slight minty aroma too, but largely gets overshadowed by the citrus character. A soft, sweet malt aroma is way in the background, a bit breadiness in there.

T - Much like the aroma...huge hop flavor! Citrusy grapefruit, pineapple, pine...oh my, really good. Good and serious malt backbone...tons of body, a bit of sweet, a bit of caramel.

M - This is a nop notch double IPA...really full bodied with a light to medium carbonation level. Tons of resiny hops cover the every last inch of the mouth on every sip. Quite dry and the bitterness lasts forever after the swallow. Great stuff.

D - This is a great, great beer. Just a notch below the pliny's for me...but since they aren't available here, I think I will be buying this again and again (although $18/4pk is pretty steep). Still think it will be a staple in my fridge. My "new" favorite beer in a can, hands down.

portia99, Mar 26, 2010