GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of GUBNA Imperial IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,724 | Reviews: 931
2.19/5  rDev -42.8%

Pours a hazy golden color with a good sized, white head. Aroma is mostly of onions with some citrus as well. Taste upfront is of a touch of toasted malt, but that quickly gives way to funky onion flavor along with some pine. This is a strange beer. I've had beer that has some onion-like qualaties and it works, this however, does not. Sorry Oskar Blues this is not good.

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Pale orange-gold body. Fairly clear. Large fluffy off-white head. Decent retention with spotty lacing.

S: First blast is all oranges and tangerines... As time went on it it became progressively more piney and malt. Eventually a ton of booze started to shine through.

T: Bizarre combination of citrus, pine, malt and booze. Again as the beer warmed it became increasingly maltier and the alcohol was more than noticeable.

M: Smooth with moderate carbonation. The body was of medium weight. The finish was oily and resinous. Alcohol was felt throughout.

D: As many others have pointed out, there is something odd about this beer. Perhaps its the malt complexity just overshadowing the one dimension hops. The massive alcohol presence does not help this beer along.

1.46/5  rDev -61.9%

Chilled can into a glass. Tried for curiosity's sake.

A: Pours a clear orange-amber body with a finger of short-lived off-white head. The collar is quite thick and it leaves a patch or two of lacing.

S: Tangerine, grapefruit, and a floral/spicy note that reminds me of urinal cakes. Gah, this is another one of those. I can't stand this smell.

T: Tangerine, grapefruit, spicy onion, and old cheese. What the hell? I keep wanting this to be good but it's just so weird. Ick! This wasn't satisfying on any level.

M: Medium-full body with moderate carbonation. A little booze bite in the finish that accentuates the spicy onion quality. It's hilarious, this makes me want to cook fajitas.

D: I don't know what they were trying to do, but I think I can safely say it didn't work. Awful beer, and ridiculously overpriced. Living in CA, I don't see the point in giving it another shot when there are so many other competing DIPAs. Easily bottom-tier for the style.

3.09/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Deep amber with very little head.
This is a strange one. I smell cole slaw and onion....along with some pine, citrus and alcohol.
The taste is super sweet, cloying, sugary. A mouthfull of piney hop and a lingering cabbage -onion aftertaste.
Very dense with low carbonation.
It is pretty interesting, but odd. I like the taste much more than the smell. Worth a try.

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

The best asset is the appearance - a beautiful golden honey light amber, and quite clear.

The aroma was of floral/ herbal/ cheese/ socks

The taste added some grapefruit to the equation with sweetness from malt and alcohol.

It looks like Oscar blues managed to come close to making an Avery Maharaja for half the price. It's a mixed bag, but a pleasure to drink. Probably won't be coming back this way again, because I just don't really like messing with beers over 9%

3.84/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Pours a nice orange golden color with a quickly receding head. Bits of lace around the glass but nothing special.

S- Intense citrus and orange peel with some pineapple and hints of pine. This beer smells wonderful. Its a blast to your nose and it's the best part of the beer for me.

T- Strong herbal bite up front, bitter floral hops with some thick malt sweetness. I got a medicinal flavor and a bit of cloying sweetness that wasn't as pleasant. The flavor stays in the palate for quite some time and I start to taste some orange peel. The alcohol is certainly present in this one, phenols all up in yo nasal cavities!

M- Heavy, creamy feeling. I think the carbonation is a bit harsh. Again, this one coats and stays in your mouth for quite a while.

D- Average drinkability. Would I drink this again, for sure. Would I keep it in my stable? probably not. It's a very good beer but the high ABV sure is noticeable and I'd probably take a Dale's over this most days of the week.

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%

This beer has a great aroma and then lets you down big time. I was expecting some good bitter character. While it is hoppy, it doesn't do the aroma justice.

Nice golden color and pretty white, billowy head and nice lace.

The alcohol is up front and this beer is not something to toss back playing softball. An addition of a bittering hop other than Summit would really turn this beer into something great. It would help balance the aroma, malt and alcohol flavors. I really expect more for the pretty premium price of $3.50 a can - sold in 4 packs.

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

A-Lightly hazed golden kissed copper with a thin white head that quickly reduces to a light veil of foam. Left a pathetic hint of spotty lace behind.

S-Alcohol burn, with a moderation of a tropical fruit bowl with moderating notes of lightly sweet caramel malt, dank herbalness and some pine.

T-As nice as the aroma is the taste is a bit of a let down. The fruit is there, the touch of burn is there and the balancing sweet malt is there too but it comes across rather one dimensional and lacks complexity.

M-Medium body semi-sharp with good lingering bitterness with a hint of alcohol burn in the finish.

D-Good. Interesting approach with the single hop use but I feel this hurts the complexity on the palate. Plus, the alcohol burn diminishes the drinkability for me. This needs to be hidden more in the background and not showcased in the flavour profile. I certainly liked it but in no way did I love it.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Not the most drinkable brew in the oskar lineup. It will smack you around for a while and infrom you that this is a beer that should not see the light of day. Put this on your nightcapper list.

The malt bill is spiced up and completely needed to combat a largely onesided rawish hophouse. It took some getting used to but it works. I love cans and the whole outdoor gig that oskar is employing but this would never be sucked down after a river rafting tour. This is huge bottle jones with a cork and cap type beer. Dot.

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz canned 3/22/2010.

Pours clear golden amber with a one finger off white head that maintains a very small cap and leaves some spots of lacing.

This smells strongly of pot, also a lot of grapefruit and citrus rind, pine, some orange and tropical fruit, spice. Strong and funky aroma.

Flavor is fruity, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, very hoppy up front, then some caramel sweetness, quite spicy, finishes bittersweet and spicy.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily, low carbonation, starts to get a little sticky.

Tasty, funky, unique DIPA, price hurts though...

2.91/5  rDev -24%

12oz into tulip.

A- Honey caramel color, nice fluffy and large head, good lacing.

S- Spicy, earthy, a bit bitter, fresh pine hops.

T- Spicy, peppery, and a dash of citric hops. Bold, assertive booze in the finish. These hops are no joke. All summit? Quite a powerhouse. I don't get the intense pine and citric notes others are detecting... really spicy, a bit grassy. Not very tasty, though.

M- A bit hot, grassy herbal and dank hop flavors overpower my tongue

D- Moderate. The hop profile is not terrible but I prefer something a bit more citric and piny, this spicy profile gets tiring quick. Not cheap, either.

4.14/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a slightly reddish light amber with minimal head but nice sticky lacing. The aroma is mouthwatering with tons of mandarin orange sweetness, pineapple and other tangy acidic fruits. The nose is also bolstered by a fair amount of malty sweetness that gives the fruits a candied sort of aroma. Initial flavor is quite sweet, sweeter than many doubles, but has a nice bitter edge to it. Similar to the nose this beer drips with citrus and pineapple and has tons of tropical punch character. The more I sip this, the more of the bitterness I get and I am finding it to be one of those beers that gets better as it goes down. I am really not getting any of the garlic notes that so many people speak of, though there are some very interesting flavors that remind me of the hotness of a good raddish. Definitly a complex brew, and I cannot stress how pungent the bouquet is on this bad boy. If it has a downside, I would say it is the mouthfeel. Medium bodied and somewhat slick, yet with a sticky finish that seems to be equal parts sugar and bitterness. Not picking up any alcoholic warmth until it gets in my tum tum. Despite all this is remains quite drinkable and I regard it as a fine new double. I have to say, I came in worrying it would not live up to the hype, but as it turns out this is a beer that you should find and enjoy.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Can, home. Very good DIPA but not quite up to the best. This beer pours honey gold with a big white head that leaves lots of lacing, ringing the glass as I drink. The aroma is fairly underwhelming for the style, in my opinion. The piney hops are a bit muted, and there are more interesting things going on with the malt - some spice, some grain, all quite nice. For a 10% abv DIPA, I expect more. On the other hand, a lot of the flavors come out quite nicely in the flavor. The hop bitterness is strong but there are complex flavors to it - flowers, pine needles, grapefruit, cannabis. The rye spice is quite good; the general malt flavor is more interesting than most DIPAs. Unfortunately, the beer just doesn't drink as big as its alcohol content would suggest. Knowing how much flavor other brewers can pack into smaller beers, it's a bit disappointing. Otherwise, it's quite good.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%

A- Pours a fairly pale orange color. Very clear with lots of visible bubbles. Great head, thick and with various size bubbles coming through the top.

S- Strong hops; mostly pears and apples, resiny. Strong but not overpoweringly so. Not very complex, but good.

T- Super sticky hop buds fill my mouth, creating the citrusy sweet goodness, some noticeable malt in there providing the sugars. Starts softer, sweet and fruity and then slowly turns to a bitter finish that lingers for a good while, becoming sort of obnoxious and endlessly sticky. Some slight alcohol heat. Aggressively flavored with that "prickly" hoppiness I can't get into, especially at the end. Fairly dry end.

M- Superb, so smooth and with a thicker body. More like a flexible solid than a liquid.

D- Big beer; high alcohol, mountains of hops and with a overly sticky and crazy bitter finish. DUnno if would want more than one, but not a bad DIPA.

2.95/5  rDev -23%

Poured a cloudy light amber with a billowy 1-finger head that left only a bit of lacing on the glass.

Cold from the fridge, the smell was nice citrus hop aroma. I caught only a whiff of malty biscuit sweetness and the earthy Summit hop character.

The taste, however, did not follow the aroma. The bitter hop flavor I was expecting to dominate took a back seat to the malt. Frankly, it tasted funky. In using only Summit hops combined with a strong malt base, this beer tasted like moldy cheese. The warmer it got, the worse it tasted.

The mouthfeel was way too syrupy. If OB planned on a malty (aka balanced) DIPA, they should have used more carbonation to hold this up. What a mess.

This was not a drain pour but close to it for me. The combination of syrupy sweetness and the funky taste and aftertaste will keep me forever away from this brew.

2.82/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- pours a murky yellow to orange color with a thin white head that quickly fades away to a mere lacing, little to zero carbonation

Smell- hops are the with a slight citrus smell but really almost more of a malty sweet nose then a real strong hop jumping out, nice smell but nothing crazy mostly just a sweeter nose, smell is definitely off and bad after warming up just smells off almost like b.o.

Taste- slight bitter hop finish with a little bit of malt up front balancing out sweet and bitter in this beer, spicey hop flavor and bitterness on the finish, its just a bit hollow to me in the flavor lacks some of that big power and bunch I expect from a great double ipa, just has really that hop finish which isnt that stellar of a finish and not much else, non offense flavor but kind of bland

Mouthfeel- light to medium bodied with a creaminess to it that ends very dry

Drinkability- Its easy drinking to me but mostly just because its pretty light for the style, its nothing personally that I would be seeking out again as there are just alot of better examples out there, and I know others have said but from what I remember in the past even there cheaper gordon was a bit more complex and enjoyable, it just lacks that aspect that really makes you look down at your glass and say darn thats good and worth remembering, overally simple though I do have to say it did improve a bit as the temperature warmed and really the nose is simply put just to funky and off, I love this company but this is a swing and a miss to me

3.04/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a tulip, Gubna is a nice burnt orange color with a modest head. The aroma is quite fantastic and unique for the style: pine, rosemary, oregano and other spices.

I'm not really sure what to think about the flavor. It's not terrible, but it emphasizes a lot of odd, spicy hop flavors. Cooked vegetables, garlic, and onion powder come to mind, as well as the expected herbal and piney sensations. Not getting a whole lot of the citrus character that Oskar Blues advertises. I can see how some might love this flavor profile, but I just can't hop on the bandwagon, pun intended.

Mouthfeel is well-carbonated, and fairly resinous. Drinkability is not great given the strange flavors and high alcohol content.

I'm glad I only bought a can. I love DIPAs but this is not not my cup of tea.

2.92/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance/Smell: Mid ruby-gold color with a tightly packed head that left nice lacing as it faded. The smell is strongly citrus - sweet lemon and grapefruit. It's enticing and I could smell it as soon as I opened the can so big points for smell.

Taste: Not what I expected from the smell. It has a really weighty body that isn't well-balanced. The spicy, piney hops are pretty aggressive up front, and an unconcealed burn of alcohol content unabashedly chases the hop-shock. The finish is just pungent bitterness and lingers excessively.

Drinkability: I liked it more after a few sips (got used to it? The beer warmed? Gettin' sauced?) but considering its body and alcohol content, I wouldn't reach for more than one... or maybe even more than ½ of one; I think my half from the one I'm splitting will be enough of this beer.

Overall: I guess I'd recommend it to some true hop-head bitterness-seeking IIPA junkie, but this definitely isn't what I'd give a friend to try who didn't already know the style. Maybe in a year or two the edges on this beer with smooth, but consumed fresh, this is a disappointing offering from Oskar Blues whose Dales, Gordon, and even TenFidy (no, I will not admit to liking an Old Chub) are fantastic. C-range.

4.24/5  rDev +10.7%

Comes out of the can a see though orangish copper color with an ivory foam head and dispays decent retention.

The smell is quite pungent. I can smell the glass from a foot away! Danky!! Huge whiffs of citrus hops, some pine needles are detected as well. Sweet caramel malts are picked up in the nose, but are nothing in comparision to the huge hops assault. The hops offer up a resiney scent. Nail polish is also in the mix.

The flavor is quite interesting to say the least. It is very hop foward(understatement). Even though the 'typical' citrus/pine hop flavors are present, the bulk of the flavor is very unique for this style. I get some sort of a spicy/meaty/tomato like flavor. This is easily one of the most unique and bitter beers I have ever had. ...and I freakin love it!

THe feel is light to medium body. It seriously drinks like it has a much lower abv than 10 percent. The hops oils make it quite slippery and oily going down. Moderate levels of Co2.

I enjoy the uniqueness of this brew. It was easy to finish 1 or 2. However my palate is officail wrecked. I must now go brush the loose enamel off of my teeth that the hops scraped off.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

After a decent sized earthquake...I needed something to calm me down...and I thought this would be perfect. Poured into a Bruery tulip glass at roughly 45 degrees.

A: A mix of gold and copper colors make up most of the body, which is accompanied by a big white fluffy head and ample amounts of lacing.

S: A big sugary and biscuity malt body comes through pretty strong at first while the hops take a second or two to kick in. Not as floral as other hop profiles, but still a good amount of grapefruit qualities are detectable.

T: The initial sip is a lot of sweet hop flavor and alcohol, but as time goes on...a rich malt body comes in to balance it out. Still, a very sweet IPA that reminds me of an Avery DIPA in many ways.

M: You tell this is a big beer just by the feel, it's almost like I'm chewing it with each sip. The carbonation is right on as well and finish has a touch of dryness...perfect for a DIPA.

D: Even the smell/aroma isn't up to par with some of the more notable DIPA's out there... but the mouthfeel and overall ease this beer has going down the hatchet makes it quite epic in my opinion.

Overall: A good example of a DIPA...and one I'm going to forward to having again. A must try. Cheers!

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

Gubna pours a clear bronze color with a small creamy white head on top. The foam dissolves quickly leaving behind spots of lace on the glass. Streams of small bubbles rise to the surface.

The aroma is hoppy, but has a weird funkyness to it. There are notes of pine and what I can only describe as orange peels that have aged for a little while. It's not a bad smell, but definitely odd.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer has a firm carbonated fizz on the back of the palate. The flavor is pine and orange citrus with moderate bitterness and lots of peppery spice. In the background is some sweet caramel and toasted malt, but it's a far cry from all the hops and spice. It finishes with a flowery hop taste and leaves behind a slight burn from the peppery spice.

This is an interesting beer. Some odd aromas and flavors and lots of hops. It could use more balance from the malt and maybe some age to take the edge off the spicy hops.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz can split with oglmcdgl at the compound, poured into a wine glass after a hop fest.

Gubna(love the name) pours a hazy golden color with some orange slices mixed in as well. Kinda has a hopslam type hue to it. The head is off white with a medium build but it does not quite stick to the glass. The smell is not as bitter as I was thinking coiming from the 100IBU's. The summit hops used are up front and center at a pretty even pace with the malts used. Some citrus and not alot of pine. 10 percent you say, get out of here. Like the nose the alcohol does not come out in taste at all, I was expecting a little bit, but it's well hidden. Grapefruit, mango, caramel, slight bisquit and and even slighter raw vegetal taste in the finish. The feel is kind of thick like sort of like a watered down oil. The Hop resins are stepping out a little bit. Id say above medium bodied with noticable carb. I would drink this again but wont go out of my way for it. Im not quite sold on GUBNA yet and Im a Mel Brooks fan, so maybe a few more cans will make me see what all the fuss is about.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

A: Super clear golden color with a one inch head that is slightly meringuey

S: mmmm smells hoppy! cool resinous piney sativa. real nice smell

T: at first taste the malt holds back the hops a little bit until I swallow and the KAPOW with bitterness. After a few sips my taste buds mellow out so I dont get to much pine or any specific flavor.. just hops. no real citrus to it at all

M: not to malty slickness yet not a bitter dry mouth. good amount of carbonation

D: the beer goes down really smooth especially for 10%. I could down a couple of these while grilling out or anything outside really easy. I would love to taste this on tap because Gordon is super delicious fresh and i think this would be the same.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a lovely transparent golden with a fine-bubbled off-white head. Strongly hoppy aroma has a hint of citrus. Fiercely hoppy, evergreen flavor has an undertone of sour orange. Smooth yet tingly and lively texture leaves a hoppy and citrus finish. A must for hop-heads.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into snifter...

A: Pours a crisp clear golden orange hue with a small one finger head of creamy foam. Lacing is pretty solid.

S: Big aroma of citrus and pine hops very juicy and fresh, but also pick up that bit of off putting pork/hot dog flavor that others have been talking about. However, its not bad, and if you aren't looking for it then its tough to pick up. Also get a bit of garlic but just a hint and again, not off putting.

T: Huge juicy citrus hop profile, the summit hops are huge here, some tangerine, a little orange peel, faint grassyness on the finish. The garlic is a little present in the finish as well, but again, not really off-putting and hard to pick up. Overall its a huge mouth-full of juicy fresh summit hops. Pretty delicious and not boozy at all, very balanced for 10%.

M: Medium body with nice carbonation and smooth dry finish. Not cloying as one might suspect from the big malts.

D: For 10% this is very drinkable and smooth, the malt gets a little sweeter toward the finish as it warms, but overall this is a delicious beer and love to see it in a can!

GUBNA Imperial IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew