Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,840 | Hads: 6,753

For six months I have been debateing on trying this beer. To be honest, what held me back was that it was premium priced and in a can. "How good good it be in a can?". Finally one day I decided to give it a try and not expecting much.
Well, needless to say I was shocked. The first second this beer hit my lips, I knew that I was tasting something special. I was honestly shocked on how good this was.
A pleasant start, with a creamy hoppy smooth finish... AHHHH!!! A near perfect taste of a beer.
By far, the best beer I have ever had out of a can. I don't drink this from the can anymore, a pint glass is what I prefer.
Don't be afraid of the can. Try this beer, it is awesome!

This beer is my woman and I's session beer. First time I had it I wasn't a fan but as I got more and more, I kept coming back. This ain't your average pale ale. It's bong bong. I'll drink this anytime, anywhere. If you haven't got this yet and you like hops you are missing out on life. Oskar blues never let's down with their 3d beers in a can. Buy it, shotgun one, enjoy.

All american pale ale. Not much else to say other then if you don't like it at first, give it a second chance. If you still don't like it after that .. Clearly your taste buds can't handle the bitter bomb.

Appearance: Poured clear light amber, persistent frothy white head, and an amazing trail of lacing.

Aroma: Pale malts, floral and bitter hop aroma, no esthers. No diacetyl.

F: Closely follows the aroma and no surprises, the hops are forefront in taste, but are balanced very well with the pale malts. Finish is pleasant and rightfully bitter on the palate.

M: Light-Medium body and mouthfeel, dry and clean finish.

O: According to style (American Pale Ale), this is perfect. I cannot think of anything to improve. Even the can is American, with it's red white and blues. I really enjoyed this beer. It's refreshing, appropriately pale/bitter, right amount of hops, head retention, malt profile.

Congrats to Oskar Blues for earning my first perfect beer to style award!!

P.S.: I dont think I had the budget for an award but you get the idea.

The best beer I think I've ever had. A dark golden color with an ambitious head for a pale ale, it carries a prominent c-hop aroma. The taste delivers that hoppy flavor, but it is followed immediately with a sweet finish that perfectly balances it. Delicious.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

I finally got around to trying Dale's Pale Ale. I think it was kismet, since there was only one six-pack left at the store. Poured a golden color with a fat two finger head. Hop aromas all over the place. Absolutely amazing. In my opinion, certainly closer to an IPA. The numbers would support as well at 60+ IBU's and 6.5% ABV. Wickedly drinkable. May be a bit high in alcohol for a session brew, but it won't stop me from trying. This may very well be my favorite IPA. I love the fact that one of the reasons these guys are canning is because it made them laugh. I was the one laughing at a party I went to when people thought I was drinking "generic beer". I just love the notion of a kick ass IPA in a can. Oskar Blues rocks!!!

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured from its classy aluminum can into my finest chalice.

A: Foamy thick head that stuck around for quite a while. Amber orange with lots of bubbles. Nice lacing around the glass.

S: Grapefruit, floral hops. Smells as hoppy as a double IPA!

T: Taste is consistent with the smell -- earthy, citrus hop bitterness with a subtle sweetness. There is something buried in the aftertaste that I would attribute to the can, but this could be in my head.

MF: Very smooth. Maybe a little drying from the hops bitterness, but not overwhelming.

D: Extremely drinkable. I really wish I didn’t know it came from a can, as I feel I was looking for an aluminum can taste. I honestly believe you would have no idea it came from a can if you didn’t pour it yourself. Skeptics put on your wifebeater, crank up the skynyrd and enjoy!

4.9/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Pours dark amber/honey colored with 2 finger width foamy head. Head retention is good with fair amount of lacing on side of the glass. Has a citrusy, resin aroma - malty. Excellent malty backbone to this beer. Starts with a moderate resin like hoppy taste followed by an very smooth malty citrus taste. Good amount of bitter aftertaste follows. This is an excellent beer. The hops and malts are well balanced.

4.88/5  rDev +24.2%

Dale's Pale Ale, the flagship ale for myself. Vitamin DPA, gets you through the day.

A= Bright copper, red. Has become a bit more clear, from original batches due to more filtering in result of sedimentation in cans.

S= Blast of goodness.. . ... this is what beer is supposed to smell like.

T= The taste is bold, that of a full bodied ale.

M= Creamy and just like a thick IPA

D= All day, everyday. DPA is the best beer to have as a staple, the cans don't hurt either.

Overall= The best APA that I have ever had . If you have not gotten a chance to have Dale's or any other OB then you need to seek it out a great beer for cold late nights, hot mountain bike rides, anything.

4.88/5  rDev +24.2%

With Black Rebel Motorcycle Club " Red Eyes & Tears " on the Hi-Fi and the Frozen Four on the tube I thought it was time to review this beer . First off , the first time this apprentice went to Marty's in Newton , Dan " the beer man " told me that this is an enjoyable tasty brew " and that he has it in his fridge all the time . I was a bit turned off by the can . I did not say it to him but was thinking " if it's so good , why is it in the can ? " and " why is it the only craft brew on the shelf in a can ? " -- Marty's has Old Chub & Gordon too --...I took his advice and bought his other suggestions but not the Dale's Pale Ale ..Big mistake .. He was right this is an enjoyable brew and very tasty . One thing about the can it is great to sneak into the TD Banknorth Garden for Bruins & Celtic games . I would rather spend money on the good beer than those two lousy sports team but when you are getting free tix in company suite then ...you get my point ...

When poured into a pint glass the amber color is wonderful to look at . Huge egg shell colored head with a some stickiness on the sides . Slight hop - pine cone , grapefruit aroma . Granted my palate is " green " but this is in my top 3 beers since starting this hobby / addiction . There is a proportionate amount of bitter / sweet . Intense and smooth . This beer is beyond drinkable . Immaculate . Gave a few cans to my friends but they still like the BMC swill . Well their loss . This will be my cooler for the Myrtle Beach golf trip next weekend . This is another brew that makes searching , talking , and trying new beer worth the trip .

Had the Gordon and that is a winner too . Cheers to the Oskar Blues Brewery .

4.88/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had in a can recently, they just came to Michigan in March. Dales Pale Ale poured burnished copper gold in color and stood atop a nice standing and lasting foam. a wonderful sharp citrus nose. Assertive malt flavor followed by a perfect balance of hops and a fully attenuated dry finish. Cheers.

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Pours a beautiful golden and amber color with a thick bubbly head.

Smell is of citrusy and floral hops. Slight sweet maltiness as well.

Taste is of big citrus hops with some bitterness in the back. Not much malt on the palate, but a slight caramel maltiness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, awesome.

Overall an awesome pale ale, so so good.

4.84/5  rDev +23.2%

This Pale Ale is one of the best I've had. The smell gets you right from get go and sucks you into this experience that will not soon be forgotten. Not as good as Burning River Pale Ale, but more readily available for me, which is a win in my books.

4.83/5  rDev +22.9%

This beer from a can. Nice. Copper color with a large egg white foamed head. Head maitains nicely, lots of lacing. Carbonation holds throughout. Smell is strong on hops. Lots of grapefruit and pine in the aroma. Somewhat acidic. Flavor provides more balance with a collection of malts to support the hop dominance. Kind of a rich caramel flavor at the top. A bit of a sweet biscuity base is there. But this is about the hops. They come out in full form. Never too much though. Nice fruity bitterness, nice grapefruit bitterness, and a nice bit of resiny pine in the finish. Malts never lose control of keeping the hops in hand though. Just a great beer all around. Even though the abv's a touch high, this might be my new session beer.

4.83/5  rDev +22.9%

this should be called MORNING ALE.. this can be enjoyed anytime!. this has a lot of dimmensional flavor. being a fan of green flash west coast ipa, bear republics racer 5, hop rod rye,& dogfish heads ipa...or any good ipa actually!!. i never thought beer could taste or be bothered to be good in a can.i was wrong!!& its not even an ipa. i dont think it matters what you prefer. you wont be disappoined with this. GREAT JOB!!!! OSCAR BLUES!!!!

4.83/5  rDev +22.9%

Wow! I was expecting a great pale ale, but this really goes beyond. It could almost be an IPA, and lives up to its caption "huge voluminously hopped muttha of a pale ale".

Poured it into a pint glass from the can at a 45 degree slant and got a nice 1/2 inch head of foam. Color was a hazy amber-again, more typical of many IPA's I drink. from the hops initially. The hops perfectly greet the drinker with a Good waft of pine and then an refreshing astringent pop in the first mouth that quickly fades to a tartness at the finish. All this is washed with a medium to light maltiness. Tastes like real beer but refreshes like a something much lighter and sweeter. Refreshing, great flavor and balance.

A truly great beer without excess. How often do you find that? If you see someone drinking this after an afternoon working outside, you KNOW they know good beer! So good I want another!

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

This beer poured out of a can into my glass a great golden color with a huge, fluffy, egg shell colored head. The head did not want to leave the party and stuck around til the end! Lacing was present thoughout the short life of the beer. The aroma was incredible. Great smells of citrus and malty sweetness. The taste was the same. Just a damn good beer. The mouthfeel was a medium body with medium high carbonation. Overall I was extremely impressed with this beer. I really wish we could get this product in our state!!

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

L-Poured a very dark amber color with an off-white head.

S-The smell is hoppy but with a small presence of malts.

T-The taste of of bitter hops with a slight malt aftertaste. I would expect more of an even taste on this but still a good brew.

M-The mouthfeel is crisp and very refreshing

D- The overall drinkability is excelent, I will be enjoying many of these from now on.

Notes- This is a very enjoyable beer, and will be one of my top recomended beers for people looking for an easy drinking beer that can go anywhere.

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

Drinking this on the golf course for the first time made me a believer.

Poured into a pint glass. Large foamy head with a ruby/copper color and nice carbonation. The aroma of citrus and floral hops jump out of the glass. The taste follows same notes. Big bitter bite right up front and then the "balance" of a malty backbone. The body is filling. This has become my drink of choice on the course!

4.78/5  rDev +21.6%

Awesome beer. One of my favs. For the sake of this review, I poured my sample into a pint glass for better observance.

A: Pours a copperish/light amber with nice carbonation and white foam head that laces the glass. The fact that this beer comes in a can is also a huge plus.

S: You can smell the hops the second you open the can. Mostly citrus & floral aromas. I also get a bit of spicy character, but not much.

T: I think this is my favorite APA. Nice malty balance with hops that kick you in the teeth. If I was seeking some hops, I wouldn't hesitate to select this if there were a number of quality IPA's among the choices.

M: Great medium bodied ale. Really quenches your thirst on a cold winter's day.

D: Awesome- you can drink just one or two by itself, with a meal, during a ski trip on the mountain (have done this numerous times by stowing it in my backpack), or you can go on a bender and drink a whole bunch.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

This beer really grows on you at about 42 F the boldness only grows and malt, smoke & hops make the full entrance. Pour this beer into a warm tumbler for two fingers of lacing and strong aroma of hops, great amber color and citrus notes attack the pallate!

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours a gorgeous golden straw with a superb off-white head that sticks around and lacing persistantly. Smells like bitter sticky hops. Taste is dominated by the bitterness from the hops but a malt undertone is present and strong. Mouthfeel is great, and I would love nothing more than to drink this beer all day every day. I fell in love with Oskar Blues and canned beers, so chances are my reviews of this brewery will be very biased since I love it so much. I wish everyone used cans!

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-Dark orange body. Off-white fluffy head. Body slow bleeds with ruby tendencies when held to light. Head has a long life-span which leaves behind great lasting lace. A bit thick in color, no uniformity in body. The beer can look orange, brown or ruby on any inspection of body. But that persistent head will steal your eye in awe.

S-Fresh cut pine. Floral. Citrus peels. This is one of the freshest beers I've ever smelled. The variety of smells are limited, at least to me, but those present are so fresh. Malty on warming.

T-Orange in there, subtle grapefruit. Smooth pine throughout, mainly in the middle. Bready. Great balances of sweet & bitter. The key-word in taste is: smooth. Malty on warming.

M-Medium-low to medium body. Same for carbonation. Fluid body with a chewy swish. Sip starts with a restrained sweetness, a grainy malt middle and ends with a bitter pine finish. The after leaves palate numb a tad via peppery hops. Then the polar opposite arrives with a cool herbal minty breath to offset & interplay with the spicy hops. Like chewing on a hop essentially.

O-Dale's Pale Ale should be the go to beer for any occasion. It should replace all BMC brews as America's Flagship Beer. I can see and understand if Dale's is someone's favorite beer. And it gives impetus for all breweries to offer canned versions of their flagship brews because freshness is unmatched in a can.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Poured from a can! Golden/amber beer, fluffy tan heady with lingering lace. Lively carbonation. Smells of a sackful of citrusy American hops. Taste is chewy, hoppy, with a great malt backbone. Perfect. Bitterness up front, malty center, with a nice, crisp, lingering hop flavor. Great mouthfeel...coats the tongue. Highly drinkable. A wonderful slap in the face for all the beer can naysayers. Easily one of my top-10 favorite beers.

4.73/5  rDev +20.4%

I may be a little biased but this is one of my favorite beers. I live in Alabama so i have to travel to Georgia or Tn to get my hands on this stuff. So to the review.
It pours up thick for a Pale Ale, reddish orange hue with a good 2 finger sticky head, smells of citrus and crisp. Mouth feel is a good medium body not to thick and def not thin. Its a bit hoppier than most Pale Ales so that may be why i enjoy it so much. All in all one of my favorite beers to drink.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew