Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,826 | Hads: 6,688
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

ABV is only 6.5 but I poured into a snifter so I could get a nice smell of this canned brew. Poured a heavy 2 finger head which looked like a cloud was resting in the middle even after it had settled a bit. The pour was excellent but the body was a dull and boring honey color. Pine and some orange peel on the nose. Hints of spices and a touch of tangerine. The taste was unique to say the least. I was expecting something plain but instead I got a suprise of small passion fruits as well as a spicyness to balance things out. Small amount of bitterness but nothing overwhelming.
Overall i enjoyed this beer. Good for sessions and could see myself drinking this while playing poker with the pals or at a bbq. (710 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Copper and bras in color. Very metallic looking. Slow bubbling. Good head that recedes to a half moon of foam after a couple of sips. Pretty good stickage.

Medium toasted orange peel, marmalade mixed with syrupy sweet and equally toasted crackers.

A little syrupy palate. Powdered toasted, bread crumbs, crackers mixed with toasted Mandarin orange peels. Not bad by any means.

I'm very glad I got to try this beer. I'm so happy Oskar Blues is available in IL! (464 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Arrives a rich, clear orange color, bright and shiny. Off-white head gives way to a thickisj folm. Some lace left behind.
Smell is hops with some light citrus and pepper.
Taste is hoppier than expected, more like an IPA. Some malt and pepper show up as well.
Sharp effervescence up front with a dry finish. Medium body and a somewhat full carbonation. Can't get over the fact that this brew is really an IPA and not a pale ale. Higher marks if labeled as such. (461 characters)

12oz can poured into a pint glass

A- pours a clear golden color. Decent fluffy white head. Dissolves to a nice sheet over the beer, leaving behind good lacing on the glass

S- sweet, faint tropical fruit, bready malt

T- sweet bready malt, earthly hops, fruity twist

M- prickly light feel over the tongue. Oily presence in the mouth, thin body ale. Lingering hop bite

O- this may be my new favorite pale ale, easily available, decently priced and canned. Good decent offering from oskar blue (494 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a can of this into a shaker glass.

A: Pours a dark, amber body with a small, white head with ok retention overall and some lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: A fairly hoppy smell with some malty subtleties.

T: A fairly earthy and hoppy taste, but seemed a little watered done, which was quite unpleasant. Malts were evidenced in the aftertaste and more towards the finish.

M: A fairly watery and thin beer that hurt the overall experience with this one.

D: Ok drinkability. A fairly decent taste, but the thin and watery mouthfeel hurt it. Maybe it is better on tap, but in the can, it seemed like it hurt the overall consistency of the beer. Would have been better if the mouthfeel was a little bit thicker. (725 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -10.9%

Amber with a thin, white head that fades quickly.
Smell is malts up front, with some hops coming in. Faint fruit aromas, including pear, apple, and pineapple.
Taste is malts and bitter hops up front, with the malts fading but carrying about halfway. Bitterness from the hops carries a bit further, and the finish is slight bitter with a faint touch of hops.
Mouthfeel is crisp and light, with a good level of carbonation.
Very Drinkable. Not too exciting, but it's still one that I could drink a few of. (503 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz can, Sam Adams glass, canned 02-24-10.

Very English in appearance, burnished copper tending towards shades of yellow. Creamy, sustained eggshell head with lovely lacing.

Low intensity grapefruit and orange peel, sweet caramel malts, simple and West Coast aside from some sneaky biscuit malt. Hints of mango.

Grapefruit and orange peel, pith bitterness of both fruits, slightly honeyed 2-row and caramel malt. The finish is minty and dry. Middle of the road, simple workhorse pale ale. Still a biscuit aspect in there.

Oscillates between watery and creamy. It feels undercarbonated.

The flavor is very much standard APA, but the abv is reaching into IPA. Alcohol isn't apparent, but it dings the drinkability. (723 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

A- Poured into pilsner-type glass with two inches of bubble-bath-like head slowly dissipating
S- light pine and grapefruit, a little breadiness and a little dishsoap. mild scent, gotta stick my nose in it
T- Taste is of a watery IPA? has that hop flavor in a light beverage but its sortof muted. My tongue gets very little when I sip, but inbetween sips I get a nice bitterness thats pretty pleasant. Similar to when you eat spicy food, its mostly hot when you stop eating it. The hop flavor gets muted very fast as you drink more
M- Mouthfeel is OK; watery but foamy. Could be carbonated a little more?
Overall- Delicious! Not my favor set of flavors going on in this beer but it feels like an excellent beer to have while fishing, which is nice because its in cans which are lighter when you're done :) Very nice canned beer. (828 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Light brown head, amber body.

S: Citrus hops, pine. Not very strong aroma.

T: Same as the smell, hops, pine. A little bitter.

M: Carbonation has a bite, not smooth. Dry.

O: A bit bitter and dry for my tastes. Smell not as strong as some of the other beers I have been tasting lately. Nice taste, nice appearance.

For my records: Can purchased in mix 6 at PLW, unknown price. (382 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance- Orange red color with a nice white head and lace.

Smell- I thought there was not much to the smell.

Taste- It was citrus like mainly. It is a little sour bitter and sweet basic but not. The flavor blends well.

Mouthfeel- Thin and light.

Drinkability- It is good refreshing beer. That I would get again. (319 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured can into a standard pint glass, color is light amber to copper, head is big at first but dissipates to a ring, light lacing.

Smell is tough to find at first, but comes through as mixed light malt sweetness and citrus and pine hops.

Taste is big hoppy citrus and piney, no grass, malt flavors are clean with some light biscuit.

Mouthfeel is strong on the tongue, pretty bitter for a pale ale - I always think of this an ipa - but reviewing as pa. Carbonation is right and keeping flavors present.

Overall - this is a great tasting brew - just not a pale ale to me to big on the hop flavor. (599 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A deep amber with a thick, frothy three finger head (poured semi-aggresively) and tons of lush lacing.

Smell: Nothing extrodinary, some light piney and citrusy hops, as well as a noticeable clovey spice character. The malt is noticeable as well, but nothing really jumps to the front.

Taste: A lot like the smell, nothing really grabs you, just a nice refreshing hop presence, unique but not very formidable. The malt is somewhat blah, somewhat sweet and gives some nice body.

Mouthfeel: Very light carbonation for the style, does not help assist and flavors, but does give the mouthfeel more body.

Overall: For a can this fresh, I was very surprised that such a highly sought after pale ale lacked any surprises. It is much more balanced than the west coast representations, but it doesn't blow you away like they do. I was hoping for more from this beer, but it really just didn't live up to the hype. (919 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

Had on tap at Emerson's Ale House. Served in a shaker pint.

A: Pours a clear golden yellow color with a nice white head forming on the pour. It recedes to a thin ring and leaves some soapy lace down the glass.

S: Light biscuity malts with some caramel sweetness. Dried grass and a light, fruity sweetness round it out.

T: Really follows the nose. There's a tad more bitterness on the finish in the taste, but still nice.

M: Light bodied with a clean finish. Nice medium carbonation.

O: Pretty solid overall, but it's nothing special. Definitely an easy drinking beer and the fact that comes in cans is definitely a plus. (625 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

nice amber color, with short creamy off white head, decent retention and lacing. citrus and sweet malt on the nose. It's somewhat bitter on the tongue, but has surprisingly little flavor for how heavy it is. It's a drinkable beer, but I can't say I'd buy it again or that I'm particularly stoked about the remaining 5 cans. Maybe my opinion will change after a couple more... (375 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

I was very excited to give the spirit go, should've realized that my excitement stemmed from the recommendations of my west coast hophead friends! This is a good beer, but not my cup of tea. If I had to choose between this and a Sierra Nevada pale ale, Sierra Nevada! In fact, lately, I am a fan of Chesapeake pale ale from Alewerks! (333 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: hazy, deep amber color. Creamy head with very good retention.

Smell: strong, floral hops up front, with some citrus and rust.

Taste: the body was not enough to back up the hops, and tasted slightly hollow. Nice caramel notes in the aftertaste. I expected some tinnyness from the can, but

Mouthfeel: very creamy and smooth. left the palate clean.

Drinkability: very refreshing, but not as much body as I would have liked. (438 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: clear orange in color with a short 1?2" head. Mild lacing develops. Nice carbonation levels.

Smell: floral hops and citrus.

Taste: nice malt backbone, but there is a bit too much graininess here. Orange citrus, flowery bitterness, and some hints of honey round it out.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp at the start, finish is smooth and a tad dry. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: decently drinkable from a glass, probably better from a can when you can't be drinking out of glass. Worth a try. (507 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

I heard about this good beer that comes in a can and I've read reviews, but I didn't think it really existed until I saw it myself.

As I write this I'm working on my second can of the night and I might have a third one before I'm done.

Cloudy copper with a two-finger head that leaves nice lacing on the glass I poured this into.

A hoppy aroma and I'm picking up some malt aroma as well.

A nice, hoppy flavor with some malt. It's smooth, but it's kind of syrupy for a pale ale.

This is pretty decent and it's something I'd try again. I wonder how it is on draft? I just can't get over the fact that a beer like this comes in a can. (639 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Light golden yellow pour with an off-white head. Malty aroma with a nice presnce of hops to go along with it. The flavor is good, just like the aroma, malt and hops. It leaves a nice pleasant aftertaste in your mouth. The glass ended up having some nice lacing on it. Tasty. (274 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

A: This pours a deep orange/golden color. A two finger head forms that leaves some spotty lace.
S: Buttery malt with some hop bitterness. Citrus and piney hops with a touch of grapefruit.
T: Follows the nose. Buttery and sweet caramel malt with some piney hops.
M/D: Medium body that is a bit watery. This is not hard to drink at all, but it is almost too sweet. Not something I really want to session.

A good pale ale. Definitely worth a try, but not among my favorites of the style. (486 characters)

Poured into Stone Cali Belgique IPA glass

S: hops, fruit and caramel malts

T: hops first grab your tongue and then caramel malts back it up with a good malt back bone then bitterness lingers

M: light carbonation here I would call this a med body

D: its drinkable but for a summer beer its a bit heavy not that this claims to be a summer beer

overall: this thing could be called an IPA its hoppy and has a rather high 6.5 ABV. The beer is not bad but for 7.99-9.00 bucks a sixer I can find beers that I would rather buy and drink, but I am glad I got around to trying my first Oskar Blues beer. (599 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Made a WI run for this beer.
Poured from a 12 oz can.
Color was an off orange, transparent in the glass. Head was white and fluffy. with a decent amount of laceing. Some retention.

Smell was pretty much average for a pale ale, although this one was a bit bland.

Taste was hop bitterness upfront with a mild sweatness. Then hop bitterness after the swallow. Some creamy textures with a sort of pinnaple flavor through the middle. Hops were citrussy and a bit grassy. There is some sort of aftertaste, chemically or unnatural...not really sure what it is.

Mouthfeel is creamy and mildly thick. Moderate carbonation.
This 6 pack I got was about $8.99, so $2 cheaper then Surly Furious. I'd go Surly any day over this one. I dont think I'll pick this one up again. (763 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head

S - Is of a whole lot a hops not that thats bad

T - If you like hops this is a good thing

M - This is a medium bodied brew

D - I enjoyed this beer I thought it was good but I think its a little over hyped its worth trying sometime (284 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

12 oz can poured into a pint glass.

Look: light copper color with a very thin, maybe one finger, white head. There's almost no retention and definitely no lacing.

Smell: light citrus aroma with some pale and caramel malt. Some pine and resin also but the entire aroma is understated.

Taste: follows the nose and everything is fairly quiet. Citrus hops mingle with caramel malt. A bit maltier than I would like and the hops aren't really as prominent as I would like, even considering that this is an American Pale Ale. Still, its a nice taste for a sessionable beer.

Feel: medium to thin, lightly carbonated, not a whole lot of lingering bitterness and no alcohol warmth.

Drink: could be sessionable if you wanted to go that route.

Overall, a decent APA but nothing special. There are definitely much better APAs out there so I wouldn't search this one out and I'd probably go with something else most of the time. (923 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Poleeko Gold Pale Ale.

A: Hazy golden amber with one-finger, white, frothy head that lasted a couple of minutes. Okay lacing.

S: Citrus hops and bready malt.

T: Light sweetness and moderate bitterness. Pine and citrus hops.

M: Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation.

O: This was good but not great. I guess it's cool that it's in a can. (384 characters)

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew