2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,646 | Reviews: 1,693 | Show All Ratings:
AndyAvalanche

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a can into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. This beer is an orange amber color with yellow highlights on the side. It's only the slightest bit darker than the average pale ale, so it still has the color and clarity of that style. This beer produces a creamsicle colored thick foamy head that goes away after several minutes and produces very generous lacing that sticks to the glass. The smell is very good, the hops jump out as you smell. Both citrus and pine hop are present, well balanced between the both. The taste is also great, much like the smell the hops dominate the flavor. Grapefuity and dry/pine hop flavor. Eventhough it's so well hopped, it has a generous amount of malts to it as well. Caramelized and roasted to perfection. It starts very sweet, then a crisp and biter finish. This is a refreshing fairly light bodied beer that has a refreshing and clean mouthfeel. This beer is incredibly drinkable.

I avoided this beer for a long time soley because it was in a can. I am now ashamed of myself. This so far the best American Pale Ale I have ever had and will base all APA's in the future on this beer.

11-19-2009 02:59:11 | More by AndyAvalanche
Zekezilla

Maryland

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Serving type: can. Note: love the old-school design.
Appearance-nice, golden color.
Smell: fresh, citrus.
Taste: I"m happy to report that this is the first pale ale I've really liked. The hoppiness is definitely there but toward the back of the taste. First is the smooth, slightly sweet citrusy burst.
Mouthfeel: very smooth, low carbonation.
Would definitely drink again.

03-14-2010 22:36:35 | More by Zekezilla
epicness

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

A: Let me just start off by saying I love the look of this can. Love the colors and overall appearance of the can. It's just great packaging for what is regarding as such a great beer. The beer itself has a burnt orange color with a fairly white one finger head. The head dissipates rather quickly but leaves the glass colored in lacing which I'm sure will just accumulate with drinking.

S: Citrus hops are dominating in presence. Wow, extremely heavy on the grapefruit and orange peel in this one. There are also some floral style hops present. Can't forget about the sweet, smooth malts either. Based on the scent, I can't wait to try this beer.

T: Had to get a second mouthful of the beer before I had to even stop to think about how it tasted. It's got quite the taste to it. It's not as hoppy as the scent would allow you to believe. The citrus hops are definitely present in the taste, don't get me wrong. Heavy grapefruit and orange taste which gives away to a spicy flavor. There are also some coffee/toffee flavored malts on the finish. The aftertaste is citrus hops. Definitely a great taste.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. It's smooth and velvety.

D: A beer you could have 3-4 of and not blink an eye. Although not a true session beer due to the ABV being above 5%, but I could see drinking these one after another.

01-12-2011 02:39:11 | More by epicness
richkrull

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured a nice copper orange color with a little bit of head and some light lacing. Smell is citrus with the hops coming through. Taste is very good. Great bitter hop flavor. Almost tastes closer to an IPA. Either way it's delicious. Went down really smooth, great light bodied beer. I really really liked this beer. Glad I finally got a chance to try it. Will definitely purchase again.

04-15-2011 23:28:13 | More by richkrull
thebrood1987

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Yep definitely one of the best Pale Ales out there. Maybe because it tastes like an IPA? Perhaps. Anyways, this is my first Oskar Blues beer and the only reason I can think of as to why they didn't call this is an IPA is because they have hoppier beers in their line up when compared to this one.

On the smell I instantly get a piney floral and perfume hop smell mixed in with some sweet smells. The taste is fantastic and really is hoppier then some lesser IPA's I've had. Its very smooth and creamy with a quick flash of sweetness in the beginning and then ending with that floral piney bitter hop taste on the aftertaste. The pine hop taste really lasts and is astringent and bitter.

I strongly suggest this to anybody that loves IPA's and wants a Pale ale that taste just like one. The rich tasting astringent hops really shine through in this beer. The sweetness does take a back seat but if it didn't have any sweetness to balance it out then this would really be even more bitter than it is. An exceptional beer by Oskar Blues.

05-01-2011 21:02:17 | More by thebrood1987
Celtics76

Rhode Island

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured the can into a Harpoon IPA pint glass. Wow huge head that takes up half the glass. Piney, hoppy scent - smells like an IPA.

If you told me this is an IPA, I wouldn't question it. Has that strong, bitter taste (and aftertaste) that I've come to know and love over the years. Lacing all over the glass. A somewhat lighter version of Stone's IPA in my opinion. Absolutely delicious, but if you're looking for a more traditional pale ale, I'd recommend Flying Dog, Troegs, or Sierra Nevada. Heavy duty stuff, and a brew I will revisit quite often.

06-08-2012 22:41:00 | More by Celtics76
ppoitras

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

12oz can purchased as part of a six-pack from Whole Foods-Annandale/Alexandria, VA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head above the orangey amber brew. Head recedes slowly, with good lacing. Aroma is substantially of citrus and piney hops. Taste has it all going on, light sweet melt upfront, balanced and then some by tangy hops that pretty much steal the show. Mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent, and the can packaging makes it even that much more drinkable in some locales. As good (or better) than I had heard/expected.

11-01-2005 21:57:28 | More by ppoitras
benito

Oregon

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

Hands down this is the best American pale ale I've tasted. It pours a gleaming copper with a thick, sudsy white head that globs up and sits atop the pint almost endlessly.

Good hoppy aromas with lots of pine--and this is the only area where I think they could have done more with this brew. Dale's has a smooth and creamy mouthfeel overall that nicely complements the quick, hoppy start and biscuity middle of the brew. The finish is crisp and bitter. It's a textbook example of a tasty, well-balanced APA.

For a while, I lived in Colorado and thought Dale's was overrated. Far inferior to Old Chub and many of the states great IPAs. I don't know what I was thinking. This is a must have beer. And the fact that it comes in cans makes it only that much more appealing. I'm dreaming about all the ridiculous spots that I'll be able to take this brew.

11-30-2006 20:56:21 | More by benito
CharlieMopps

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

A: A half-inch of foamy white head tops an opaque deep amber hued brew. Surprising retention and lacing. Looks friggin' delicious.

S: Nice malty base with a hoppy nose that exudes confidence in all directions, with a floral and citrusy scent, yet smells similar to an American Red/Amber ale. Lots of stuff going on in this bouquet, smells tasty.

T: A great malt intro, little bit of sweetness to it, overshadowed by a large but smooth hop presence that lingers throughout. Yet, despite the greatness of the hops, the beer remains well-balanced. I was right from the first two categories, this thing tastes amazing.

M: Strong body and solid carbonation that makes for a creamy and silky offering, excellent mouthfeel... from a can?!

D: Excellent drinkability, enough flavor characteristic packed in to have you reaching for a Dale's Pale anytime. Quite versatile, with so much in every category that it's hard to turn one of these down. At first I was a little skeptical, even after checking Oskar Blues out in the BA mag, but one sip was all it took to convert me. More craft beer in cans!

05-11-2007 02:07:40 | More by CharlieMopps
Stoneman78

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

My first OB beer! Obtained in a trade with jjayjaye, 12oz can poured into a Sam Adams specialty glass

Appearance is burningly bright orange with amber highlights, thin white lacing of head is minimal, fair lacing on the glass

Smell is moderate pine and citrus hops with sweet caramel/pale malts in the background, nice presence for a pale ale

Taste is a nice mix of lighter caramel sweetened malts and more of a pine resin hops, some floral and orange tones pop up in the middle, finishes mildly bitter with biscuit malts

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, smooth and thick texture adds more heft than most pales, mild carbonation

Drinkability is high, a bold and nicely hopped pale ale with great malt presence and balance, the alcohol is non-descript and there is enough here to keep drinking all night long, i'm glad i have a second Dale's but wish i had easier access to OB here in San Diego. Oh well, maybe sometime in the future. . .

02-26-2008 03:22:41 | More by Stoneman78
KarlHungus

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

This beer pours a cloudy pale amber-orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes rather quickly into decent lacing. The aroma is very big for an APA. Grapefruit, citrus, pine resin, and herbs. The taste is as big as the aroma. Tons of grapefruit and pine with a firm bitterness on the tongue and in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation, and a silky texture. Overall, this is one of the best APAs I have had. I would really like to have this available in my area, because it would quickly become my go to pale ale.

12-02-2008 00:33:45 | More by KarlHungus
alkemy

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

(From notes)Fairly clear amber/orange color. However, it wasn't until my second that I actually poured into a glass. It was quite an experience to pull the tab on a can and be greeted with that citrus hops with a hint of pine. There's also some bready malts. Taste is quite comparable to the scent. Really well balanced. This is one of the best APA's I've had...still have to put Burning River at the top. I tend to like the hop forward versions, so that appeals to me with this beer. I just can't get over the oddity of a canned beer tasting so good.

12-22-2009 20:51:24 | More by alkemy
Act25

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite every day beer.

1st, I love the can movement.
a) It's better aeration, better light protection,
b) better for environment. (Cans being infinitely and 100% recyclable and lower energy to recycle than glass, and cheaper by far to transport and store.).
c) Better for outdoors whether kayaking or gardening or walking.

What's a beer without the outdoors?

2nd - This is a beer that makes no apologies for being an original APA. Close to an IPA, but more amber, citruis, piney, and more beautifully copper colored and tasty like a new penny.

Appearance - One of the most beautiful colors and laced heads.
Smell - Everything I expect from the outdoors in a can.
taste - Original cross between IPA and pale ale, distinctly american and unapologetic, I feel like I respect the makers like I respect Steve Jobs.
Feel - rich, full, right for the afternoon and the outdoors. After cutting the lawn, after kayaking 2 hours.

Overall - a 5 for me because it's my go-to beer.

Whole foods NJ offers a 10% discount when you buy a mixed case.

12-26-2012 01:56:10 | More by Act25
unscarred785

4.56/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great APA, Pours a 2/3 finger head, Has a very citrisy and Hoppy smell. I thought this was going to be an average at best beer but boy was i wrong! I grabbed a 6 pack at my local beer distributor, Guy behind the counter knows me pretty well and asked me if i was sure i wanted to buy this. After getting home and cracking open a can after dinner i poured it into a glass and was surprised at how well it poured. Lots of lacing and a great orange/amber color. Once i took a sip i couldn't believe what i had just drank. This beer came out of a can!? Before i knew it the glass was empty and i had a smile on my face.

04-15-2014 02:00:21 | More by unscarred785
SaCkErZ9

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass. Very nice presentation. A very tight head forms and leaves nothing but lacing. Beer is amber in color with lots of carbonation acitve under the surface.

Aroma is dominated by citrus hops, but balanced well by caramel malts. Grapefruit and pine trees. Even some toffee. Wonderful aroma. Smells IPAish.

Taste is wonderful. Full of citrus hops and malty as well. This is as close to perfect for IPA I think, but since this is a Pale Ale, i detract some points. Grapefruit, citrus, grass, lemon; wonderful.

Mouthfeel is perfect. The hops and the caramel malts balance out the body perfectly. Medim bodied. Perfect. A wonderful beer. Might this become a permanant resident in the fridege? In a word, yes!

08-19-2006 19:47:54 | More by SaCkErZ9
jasonjlewis

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

I'm seriously torn on whether to give this a 4.5 or 5 on apperance.

Poured into my GABF pint glass. Head is huge and frothy and will never die. Retention is awesome as well. The beer is amber in color and I can see my fingers through the glass.

The smell of wet and dry hops comes out and rapes the nose with ectasy. Some of the caramel malts in the beer come out as the beer warms.

The beer starts out sweet with caramel malts on the front of the tongue. The beer becomes somewhat bready as it warms. MMM. The hopping of this beer must be done during a boil and dry hopped as I'm picking up characteristics of each. This is one hell of a pale ale. A hop mother for a pale ale.

The mouthfeel is very nice. Could be a slight bit more crisp and full, but very very full and the carbonation is just perfect.

I could drink this forever. If I was on a dessert island with 100 cases of this beer and somehow a refrigerator, I would be ok.

10-17-2007 05:33:21 | More by jasonjlewis
beeragent

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

Finally got this in Texas, and the wait was worth it. Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz. can. The beer pours a medium copper, forming a 1 inch creamy tan head, that leaves medium rings of lace along the glass. The aroma starts off with a piney hop aroma, but also contains a buttery malt aroma to balance it out. The taste is an incredibly smooth, well balanced mix of the hops and malts. The taste isnt the strong hop flavor that was expected, but more subtle citrusy notes, along with a creamy buttery malt flavor. Mouthfeel is much smoother, with the balance of malts. Not the harsh hop finish, but more of a medium smooth finish, but still with a hint of the sharp hops at the end. This is a highly drinkable beer, consisting of good ABV., well balanced flavor, and smooth finish. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer, and will definitely keep a sixer in the fridge.

04-30-2008 23:21:19 | More by beeragent
popery

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

A hoppy, delicious Pale Ale. This beer pours a medium golden color with a creamy white head. The aroma is pleasantly sweet and hoppy. The hops are peachy and floral. There's some malt sweetness, as well. The flavor is hoppy without being overly bitter. They've hit a really nice balance with this beer, though it's definitely hoppy for a pale. There's a very nice sweet caramel malt backbone. It's a satisfying and drinkable beer. I'm trying it against Stone's and definitely prefer this beer. Excellent stuff. I like the cans.

09-26-2009 04:41:58 | More by popery
thebeergeek

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man, they nailed it. This is really something special. The pour is a hazy golden, almost like a hefeweissen. Beautiful white head. Aroma is fresh hops. The taste is, just wonderful. It starts sweet, and just when you think this beer will be too sweet, the hops kick, but, not overpowering. The after taste is heaven. A perfect balance of malty sweetness and hop dryness. This tastes like a really, really good homebrew. That is the best thing I can say about any beer.

04-06-2014 21:37:28 | More by thebeergeek
Citadel82

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

What a delightful thing it is to find a pale ale in a can that is as BIG and TASTY as this one is. I waited anxiously for this beer to come to Jersy so that I could try. I was relying on the strength of the reviews on this site and on the New York Times Article on Pale Ales from about a moth ago. This brew does not disappoint. Pours a clear copy with an abundant white head that leaves clumps of creamy lace. Aroma is spicy, floral citrus and biscuit notes. Taste is sharp floral hops with muted malts with a medium bodied mouth feel. you need to try this beer. The can may put some off but do put it aside and give this and the Old Chub a try!

08-13-2005 11:56:18 | More by Citadel82
MarkSCCOT

South Carolina

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

Thanks to HopDawg who gave me a can at the Lowcountry Libations Homebrewing club meeting.

I have wanted to try this beer for a long time. Firstly, because the nazis at my condo pool will not let bottles anywhere near the pool and the novelty of a canned micro beer. Like many beer fans I went through a phase where I would look down my nose at a canned beer.

Poured from a 12 ounce can with a cryptic code (7 02 16 A 2_B A) into a pint glass.

A. Poured a beautiful orange amber with a healthy but quickly settling head.

S. Hops are strong, citrus and pine.

T. Again strong hops with a lingering maltiness.

M. Nice dry finish with a lingering of hop oil.

D. This is a great session beer! Even without regard to the can novelty, this is a great APA! This would be graded as high in a bottle even. I will be returning to this beer as soon as I can get some more.

08-06-2007 01:20:04 | More by MarkSCCOT
marcpal

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

I have to admit originally being put off by the can concept and was naive in thinking a quality ale wouldnt come out of it. Man, was I wrong. This beer was a pleasure.

12oz can poured into mug.

A: Copper gold pour with generous head and great lacing.

S: Surprised by the strong aroma of hops which really dominated.

T: Terrific balance of malts and bittering hops. The one dominant flavor accompanying the powerful hops was caramel.

M: Oils from the hops are sticky with a solid backbone.

D: Through the roof, this is a great beer to sit down and enjoy. Looking forward to many more.

I cant wait to enjoy more of these, what a perfect football watching beer. Would like to some time try on tap too.

01-19-2008 17:27:32 | More by marcpal
allengarvin

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

Popped the can, and poured into a 12 oz mug. The beer is a pleasing walnut color with a small frothy head. Nice aroma of sweet malt and grassy hops. Plenty of assertively tasty hops, grassy, citrusy, with a good malt backbone. Lightly fruity, with a dry finish. Medium body.

Very tasty! I'm glad an American brewer has finally made an excellent hoppy beer in a can, available in Texas. This will be my choice for pool- and beach-side beers from now on!

05-02-2008 02:25:26 | More by allengarvin
HoustonTX

Dales Pale Ale

Been drinking this as my everyday beer for the past month. Ever since it came to the Texas market. It's that damn good.

Dales is orange in color with a steady halo of white head.

Smell is crisp and standout. Juicy, ripe, spicy hops jump out and attack your senses. Sweet malt and tangy citrus present them selves as well.

Dales taste is just outrageously right on, making it incredibly sessionable. Upfront you get a nice crisp base of sweet-butter infused maltiness. Slick on the throat. Next comes a lacing of beautiful citrusy and spicy hops. The spicyness hops out enough to let you know your alive, but it's not long lived due to the sick drinkability and slickness of the beer. Finishes clean and crisp, with a lingering infused balance.

Dales is the real deal. I love this stuff. Incredible value, incredibly tasty, and...just overall incredible.

06-18-2008 08:30:00 | More by HoustonTX
tdt560

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance - Poured from can into a pint glass, golden colored with a good two fingered head which lasted. Nice lacing on the glass.

Smell - Slight balanced odor of citrus, hops and flowers.

Taste - Crisp well balanced taste with a slightly sharp "bite" at the end. I truly enjoy this pale ale.

Mouthfull - Medium body with good carbonation with a dry finish.

Drinkability - Very, very drinkable this is and will be a regular resident in my fridge. Highly sessionable. If you enjoy pale ale's or even IPA's I would highly recommend this brew for a try. Can't believe this comes from a can!

06-26-2008 22:58:46 | More by tdt560