Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,826 | Hads: 6,683
1.28/5  rDev -67.6%

I have tried this several times and rarely found one that didn't taste exactly like the can it was poured from. An IPA is my favorite beer and I see promise in this one BUT they need to bottle it vice the can. That is how this beer has to acquire the metallic taste otherwise it has a future. (292 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -55.4%

Tried a six-pack on my son's recommendation, against my better judgement. This is a very bitter, metallic-tasting brew. There are strong hints of pine, and frankly my first instinct was to spit our the first sip. This is typically a very high priced beer, although I found it at my grocery store substantially discounted. (321 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -54.4%

I recently moved to a new place and as a gift I got an Oskar Blues variety pack from a friend. This included the Dale's Pale Ale, Mammas Little Yella Pills and Old Chub Scotch Ale. The latter two were semi-OK, but the Dale's Pale was so terrible that it not only compelled me to search for reviews to see what other people had to say about it, but also to create an account here to write a review.

It smells like any other normal beer, but the taste is so terrible.... almost like it has a vicious, metallic bite to it. Very, very hard to go down. Would not buy for myself. Would not recommend to friends. Just... just don't. (626 characters)

Poured from a 12oz can into a nonic pint glass, received via trade from arvjunk. Thanks Ankur!

A: Pours a cloudy golden amber, with 2 fingers of frothy white head.

S: Light caramel malts and fruity citrus hops, alongside a distinct and quite buttery smell. Doesn't seem to be common in other reviews, but remarkably clear in my glass.

T: Caramel malts again, not much hop flavor here... quite metallic tasting.

M: Light body, light carbonation; rather watery.

D: Considering smell, taste, and mouthfeel, this glass wasn't particularly enjoyable. At least I could spend the first 8 ounces trying to decide if it really was butter I was smelling... Not particularly recommended, though based on the large number of positive reviews here, it may be worth checking out. (770 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -47.6%

A - This was by far the most impressive part of the brew. Poured a medium brown like an apple cider. Excellent frothy fluffy head with spider lacing down the glass.

S - Nice floral hops caramel malts but what really threw me was the rubber tire taste that trailed in at the end.

T - Floral hops that finished heavily bitter, almost too bitter. As in the smell the rubber tires came in at the end, pretty bad and unfortunately turns the whole taste of the aspect to a downward spiral.

M - Little carbonation with a slick mouthfeel.

D - Steer clear of this dangerous brew. Hops are too overpowering that lead to a super bitter aftertaste and something else if off from this brew. Avoid please. (695 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -46.3%

pours a clean amber from a 12oz can to a pint glass. smells hoppy with notes of vanilla and pale malt.very laced with light carbonation. taste is malt with hints of vanilla in the mix with a hoppy bite. a creamy vanilla hopped up weirdness. Seems lightly carbonated. this is a weird tasting brew. It has some weird vanilla taste to it that makes me not want to taste it anymore. I can't see drinking more than one of these. BLEEEGH I don't like it. Sorry. (455 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -46.1%

Really? The cans I bought were canned on May 1st 2012, according to the bottom of the can. I had high hopes for this brew after reading favorable reviews here on BA, but either I got a bad batch or this just doesn't float my boat, lol!

I poured the first can into an ice cold pint glass. It looked great! I smelled it and detected a bit of hops, so I was stoked, cuz I'm a hops head. Well, ugh, the first taste was bitter, chewy & lingering.

Come on, this has to be a poor sample, right?

Nevertheless, I had another and I'm sorry to say, that after just a few gulps, I poured it in my drain and grabbed a Hop Knot.

If someone else buys, I might try a third, but I'd prefer an adjunct lager over this slosh. (710 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -41.8%

Having heard a lot about this beer I decided to give it a try...

Serving Type: 12 oz can

Appearance: Pours a orange colour w/ a slight white head. Leaves a pleasant ring w/ a little lacing

Smell: Malty, fruity. A touch of floral...pine perhaps.

Taste: Dry and hoppy upfront. A very slight touch of pineapple but the aftertaste is strongly metallic and pine like. VERY metallic....not what I was expecting at all.

Mouthfeel: I imagined something thicker...but this is very thin and watery

Drinkability: The taste is to metallic and it is way to overpowering. You can't tell when the can ends and the beer begins. Not at all enjoyable (640 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -41.3%

On tap into a pint glass.

A- Looks decent; dark amber with a thin white head. Little lacing.

S- Smells of floral hops and a touch of what I like to call 'macro stank'. (not skunk, stank. This is probably from malt, or rice. It can be found on the tongue, too)

T- The hop flavor is pretty nice... but I feel like the rest of the brew is lacking. There is something horrible about it... just poor ingredients other than the hops I suppose. Although, if you need your hop fix, this will do the trick.

M- Medium to light body, medium carbonation. Leaves the mouth a bit dry.

D- About 1/4 way into this beer... I honestly did not want to finish it. Hard to explain, but it just wasn't for me.

I don't get the hype of this one. Are they inconsistent with their batches? Is it better from the can? I may never know... but I do know that it was brutal. (852 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%

Blah. A not so great pale ale.

Appearance: Not too bad looking but not memorable either. A dark cloudy copper colored beer with a fluffy whitish/light-orangish head that breaks down to a sticky lace on the glass.

Smell: Malt, some hops but far less than the "voluminously hopped" boast on the side of the can. Hint of pineapple and some other citrusy fruit.

Taste: Not good. Bitter, poor quality hops or the wrong combination or hops, slightly musty; dryish and bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, but the bitterness really ruins it.

Drinkability: Not recommended. There are too many good American pale ales around to waste your time with this one. (660 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -37.7%

I picked up a 6-pack at the Publix in Orlando while on a business trip.

No date on the can, so I don't know how old this beers was when I bought it. First poor produced a big pillowy head, slightly cloudy, red/amber color. Aroma was very malty, caramel with some hop aroma muddled in between.

Body was medium. Not a crisp. clean taste like you get with an SNPA. Tasted malty, I got lots of caramel and maybe Munich malt taste with some hop bitterness upfront, but then nothing on the finish. Dont know what to make of this beer. I had two, but dont think I would want another.

Theres lots of hype around this beer, but I think there are far better examples of American Pale out there. I don't think I would recommend this one unless you are curious. (753 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -37.7%

Much sweeter than I had expected, but not bad in general. Lots of fruit flavors.. apricot, peach, and a touch of honey. Didn't detect much hops.. not exactly a well-balanced beer. One that I enjoyed to try, but I didn't have more than one. Not a terrible beer, but I'm not sure that I would recommend this beer to anyone. (321 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -37.5%

Well, this is my first hype brew since I've been here on BA, newly distributed here so I assume it's reasonably fresh. Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass, it pours a hazy orange amber with a half inch head. Retention is short, lacing is well represented.

Smells of hops and malts in union. Hops are floral and citrus with some pine as well as sweet malts.

Taste is another story. Thick syrupy lightly toasted malt sugars, sickly rich. Malt is way overdone here in my view, and it sticks around for a while cloaking the finish. Some bitterness pushes through but that's about it. Not a lot of depth to the malt either, and not chewy. Mouthfeel is good initially but the malts coat like an oily salad dressing thus rejecting any further flavors from participating. Tastes like a desert wine, and a poor one at that.

Definitely won't be buying this one again. Lesson learned. (883 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -37.5%

A- Pours an amber, light orange clear, 2 finger egg shell head.

S- Very bitter hops, astringent with no discerning character.

T- Bitter hop flavor, front, middle and back of tongue.

M- Light to medium, easy to drink with lots of carbonation.

O- A forgetful pale ale, needs more malt to balance the hops. Not really tasty.The date shown said it was pretty fresh, so not sure why it was so average. Many other beers out there, so may as well skip this one. (458 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -34.2%

Appearance: Admittedly did not pour it out to see
Smell: A bit bitey, you can smell the hops from the get-go
Taste: Very strong hop bite up front that smooths away by the second or third but lingers
Mouthfeel: stingy
Overall: If you like a ton of hops, you'll like this beer, but as a pale ale it was a bit too strong of a bite for my liking.
Serving type: can (361 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Clear amber yellow with a thick head that lingers. Smells pretty hoppy and alcoholic. Taste is similar. Grapefruit, orange peel and hops. It's crisp and bubbly with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel ok, but for me, not too drinkable. I'm not a hoppy person - but if you are, this one is well made and tasty, just not my taste. (332 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -32.4%

Great packaging! I drank this out of the can, so I didn't actually observe the appearance. The most impressive thing about this beer is the aroma. Even out of the can the smell of fresh northwest hops was intense. Unfortunatly the hops are completely over the top in the flavor of this beer, overpowering everything else. Don't know why they chose to call this a pale ale. It would be over the top for an IPA. The mouth feel was harsh, despite the light carbonation. Wouldn't drink another. A shame, because their Old Chub is outasight. (536 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -31.1%

Appearance: A bright orange amber color with a pillowy white 1-1/2 finger head. Nice clarity with plenty of lacing.
Smell: Wet hops and heavy malt aroma. Similar to some barley wines that I have had, sort of a heavy wet grain nose. Fragrances of dark fruits and some caramel.
Taste: Much like it smelled, but the malts and grain really bite you. I thought this beer tasted much darker than it looked. The hops had a sticky dank quality and even though the hops and malts seem balanced there was a slight sourness to it all.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and slippery. Almost a lubricating feel to it.
Drinkability: I thought the taste was a little overboard and strong on the senses for a pale ale. (690 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -30.9%

Nice burnished copper in color with a big foamy, white head that never really went away. Lots of lacing all around the glass. Nose is mildyl malty with just a slight hint of hops.

Flavor was at first full of fresh hops nicely balanced with a slight malt backbone. However, within minutes of being poured and beginning to warm the hop flavors quickly turned into a sour, bad vegetable offering. Maybe I just got a bad can but this was tough to drink. It eventually wound up being pretty sour. Medium body but a bit too tastebud-twisting in the finish. (554 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I am a big fan of Oskar Blue beers. I tasted this one from a variety pack. Honestly, there wasnt much of any distinct aroma/bouquet from this.

The taste was clean and crisp, which I always find positive. The mouthful was a little on the thin side as well as the aftertaste.

Nothing to find fault with this ale, just that it wasnt something that stands out with the various beers that I have tasted (399 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had this one at a golf-course on Long Island after the 9th hole. I'm not sure about their turnover so I suppose it's possible that I got an old can or something, but it was just meh.

I'm certain that it was better than the Corona Light that was also available in the snack-bar, or maybe my palate is a little more refined these days.

I didn't experience any complexity, tasted very dry, almost flat.

Cool can. I would rather support a smaller brewery any day of the week. I would drink this again, but I'd know what I was getting into next time. Maybe if my perspective was different I'd have a different experience. Plus I suck at golf. (642 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -30.1%

12oz can. No freshness date.
Dull honey amber color with a fading off-white head and some sticky and trailing lacing.
This brew has an odd husk and damp grain smell. A whiff of pinesap is in the background.
The predominant taste is of sweet honey coated powered malt. An unusual taste of over-ripe melon is noticeable. Do I taste unripe pears? Weird! Weirder yet, is a slight taste of buttermilk. The hops have a raspy black tea-like astringent bitterness. Upon more careful scrutiny, a metallic (pennies) bitterness emerges. A weak lime-like citrusy bitterness lingers. The alcoholic bite is a bit harsh, though not overwhelming. This brew seems to stray off the mark of the typical Pale Ale style. I feel like I need to have my taste buds refreshed or tested after drinking this oddball beer! (797 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I had high expectations opening up a can of this stuff. It was recommended to me, because I wanted to try a new pale ale. It's very boring and leaves a strange taste in your mouth. With that said, I would still drink it over alot of other shit (244 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -29.6%

Average appearance for an American Pale Ale. The taste had a nice citrus hint and seemed to be well hopped. However, the aroma left a bit to be desired, as it was a bit flat and lacked the complexity that separates the superior ales of this style.

Overall it is a good beer, however I think much of its appeal is derived from the fact that it comes in a can. A good marketing ploy.

ABV is a plus. (402 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -29.4%

1 12-oz can, poured into a pint.

Has a little viscosity to it and a gold-amber hue topped with a sticky off-white froth. Aroma is almost non-existent and consisting of sweet pale malts and wet hop leaf.

Upon first sip there's a moment of malt sweetness followed by a tsunami of hop bitterness which gets pretty rough at the end. It's brief and is followed by more pale malt flavor. There's little to no carbonation going on here and that to me is reminiscent of a cask-conditioned ale, especially as the beer is allowed to warm up a few degrees. But as I drink I learn not to take too big of a sip, as that hop bite is rather unpleasant. (639 characters)

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew