Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,839 | Hads: 6,751

Poured from 12oz can a hazy reddish gold with a large head of foam

The smell is all kinds of hoppy with notes of grapefruit and some grass. There's even a touch of sweetness from the malt in the nose.

The taste is big on hops up front with the grapefruit noted in the smell though the grassiness plays a minor role. Midway through there's a good caramel malt sweetness that offsets the hop bitterness nicely creating some really good balance but..the hops take over again near and through the finish.

Other notes: the body on this pale is really good and the drinkability, despite the 6.5%abv, is very high for me.

Bottom line: This is a great APA! 'nuff said!

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

This is the first can beer I have bought in a long time. I was not really looking forward to it because I don't like can drinks but got a single and said what the hell.

Poured deep orange and hazy with an excellent head. Smell is a very nice hoppy smell...I'm impressed so far. taste is spo ton for a APA, this is much better that the Restoration APA I had earlier. The bitter hops was perfectly balance and now I wish I had bought a sixer.

As others have said this is the best beer I have ever had from a can, The Common Market has this on tap too so I'm gonna have to compare. :)

Dales's saves the day!! I'm going to the drag races next week and only cans are allowed...now I can take a beer with me that I can stand to drink!! Yea Dales!!!!

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Had a Dale's and a Gordon in the same night. Loved them both!

A: 2 fingers beige head; amber with gorgeous dark golden edges. not too much retention but decent lacing nevertheless.
S: Subtle hoppiness; juicy citrus with a mild honey malt
T: Extremely hoppy and oh so delicious. Wow, pine and grapefruit right off the bat. Malt is very present as a sweetness that's just enough to call this a balanced pale ale. Fruit esters are pleasantly sweet as well. Ends in a wonderful bitterness, and not a touch of metallic.
M: Light to medium body. All the necessary carbonation. Light residuals throughout the palate.
D: I will most definitely be picking more of these up.

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%

I had this beer over 2 years ago on our "Beegrimage" to 10 Colorado breweries in 2 days. Oskar Blues was on our list. So when a friend offered to bring me a box of 12 cans back from Colorado, I was overjoyed.

A nice retentive head, exceptional caramel malt flavor, and superbly balanced hop bittering... does it get any better for APA lovers? It's strange to open a craft beer from a can, but the hop aroma that sifts out is amazing. The 12 oz can was just like I remember the draft when visiting the brew pub.

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%

"I've never seen so much wealth in one place. This is incredible." Huge vats of molten gold are frothing in military rows down the sides of the room. The heat is almost unbearable.
Interesting, but when it's that hot, one can see that it is a cloudy orange color, rather than the more metallic yellow. The dross foams up every once in a while, looking like white soap-bubbles in a kitchen sink. The heat makes it quickly dry, and the walls of each vat are densely speckled with leftovers.
"I had no idea it would smell like this..." Rich. Unbelievable malty, but the most pure malt aroma possible - no real distinct notes of toffee or biscuit, but the malt character could be fairly compared to a Werther's, though not quite as sweet.
The hop aroma balances handily. Mostly resiny in character, it smells like Christmas without the spice. Reminds me - dare I say it - of the hopping in Double Crooked Tree.
We step through the door and the eighty-degree summer is a relief compared to what I've just experienced. He hands me an unlabeled cup of some sort of liquid.
The flavor is exactly what I just smelled, though the sweetness is a little more, and the hopping in the finish overrides.
Thick and full-bodied, especially for a pale ale. Carbonation is low, and the finish lingers with that wonderful hop note.

"Thank you for having me today. Would you mind telling me what this is I'm drinking?"

"Oh, that's Dale's Pale Ale. And what do you mean, 'having you here?' we've been sitting right here on your couch the whole time."

And so we had. But if you'd like to experience liquid gold... this is probably as close as you'll get.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

On-tap from Taco Mac in Austell, Georgia. Dale's is one of my favorite pale ales so I jumped at the chance of having one on-tap for the first time. It arrived with a thin head, just like everything else I've had here. I think they're just trying to be generous with the pour. The color is rich orange and quite clean.

The smell is a fabulous citrus note and a little sweetness. The taste is just as good. I got oily hops and a small sweet malty background. In the can I get more malt i think, but on-tap the hops rule. Primarily grapefruit and some pine flavors. This tasted more like an IPA than an APA.

The mouth feel is medium with perfect carbonation for the style. It felt a little oily and the bitter hops caused my mouth to pucker. Pretty good drinkability. I know I could have had another and maybe even one more.

I've always liked Dale's and I like the on-tap version even better.

From my notes this August:

I finally went for the can. I am ashamed it took me this long. This is aroma and flavor nirvana for hop heads looking for an American Pale or American IPA.

I like my pales and IPA's to have a real balance and respectable backbone, and it never hurts to have that piny almost syrupy resinous smell of wonderful North American hops.

Oskar Blue's strikes gold with Dale's Pale.

Moral of the story, don't fear the can.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

A: A translucent orange-bronze color. The head is moderately large, extremely dense, and creamy, with a slightly orange tint. Retention is excellent, with quite a bit of attractive lacing.

S: Grapefruit, orange peel, resiny pine sap, and brown sugar. Some pale malt in the background. Some bready/yeasty aromas as well.

T: Some firm caramel and pale malt up front. I was worried it would be a hop-bomb from the nose, but it's just a big, balanced pale ale. Hops primarily bring to mind orange peel and some sweetened grapefruit before fading into a resiny pine bitterness.

M: Fairly sticky and full in body. Carbonation is subdued, especially considering how thick this is for the style.

D: Very, very nice pale ale here from Oskar Blues. Very hoppy and flavorful, yet backed with a pretty firm malt backbone. Maybe more brewers should experiment with the cans - they've certainly nailed it here.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

The colour is pale brown with a tint of red; the liquid is a bit hazy. The two finger head is beige, compact and firm. Lots of lacing.

The smell is generously hoppy in an American way: Grapefruits, lemons, sweet malt, butter and a fine strong bitterness that keeps in the background.

A fruity sweet hoppy flavour dominates the taste. Butterscotch, apricots, grapefruits, sour candy and roasted nuts. The buttery fat flavours stay while the bitterness evolves into a more tart bitterness. The aftertaste is somewhat sweet with a long lasting luxurious hoppy-fruity flavours and a bitter flavour that keeps in the background, giving room for the other notes without loosing its own place.

The carbonation is a bit stronger than medium; the very small bubbles are very fresh. The liquid is smooth, almost thick.

A very well crafted APA, bordering to an AIPA.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this baby out of a snifter just so I could take in all the fetching aromas.
The body reveals a honey orange with a half inch creamy tan head that sinks much but not all the way.
The smell is an intoxicating mixture of citrus and sweet. Like a rum cake covered in tangerine, or a biscuit smothered in orange marmalade. Outstanding.
The taste is dominated by a malty, fruity foundation, that's sheltered by a piney, citrusy hop bitterness that brings it all together perfectly. I'm left with an orange aftertaste that reminds me of one of my favorite's: Bell's Two Hearted.
The mouthfeel is smooth with moderate carbonation.
Overall, I'm considerably impressed. I've also come to conclude that there's not much of a difference between a APA and an IPA.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

In a can that looks like a Discount Club cola can?

Pours a beautiful, clear, golden amber, with thickly constructed, beige, one finger head. A gentle swirl reveals a dextrinous look to it and leaves lasting impressionist paintings of lace on the glass.

Aroma is a surprise of floral, citrus, pine, and gentle grain hints, other subtle notes I don't identify, all balanced excellently. What a nose, this could be perfume, just sweet enough, just subtle enough, just bold enough. Best nose on a PA I've smelled. Ever.

Taste is a bold, balanced, brilliant blast of citrus, pine, earth, and grain. It's a very clean, light, very alive taste, not bready, not caramel-ly, but enough of a malty goodness to balance this into a marvelous flavor. It finishes with a flourish of bitter herbosity, cleanly and refreshingly, ending in a ghost of sweetness and flowers. It is just dry enough, just complex enough, just on the edge of a new style enough to be a remarkable brew.

Mouthfeel judged in the style is on the edge of too resinous, it feels more like an IPA, it is medium body and hop thick to say the least, but the carbonation is perfect, it supports a long finish, and it clears relatively well for the next sip. Geez, what more could you ask for such a full flavor yet refreshing beer as this?

Drinkability is exceptional, great taste, refreshing, vibrant, interesting, sure glad I got this, will get again fersure.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From the 12oz (Brevard, NC) can into a "pint" glass. This is and has been one of my favorites for a few years now. I'm glad to see that it has become more and more available.

Golden amber pour. Rich, thick white head. To get it in a 12 oz glass, the first two seconds need to be down the side of the glass.Then, straight down the center. A great release as the glass fills and reaches above the rim.

It's been said before, no doubt. This is a citrusy, malty beer. Strong flavor that never bites back, but still faint molasses texture that leaves great flavor from sip to sip.

It's hard to turn down a Dales when someone offers...unless I've already had two. A great, strong, full-flavor pale ale.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer poured clear, coppery amber with a rich off-white head that faded but left generous lacing. An appealing beer. The can is a blast - I rarely buy cans anymore. Please remember to recycle these cans, there's a lot of electricity that goes into making them and a lot that can be saved by recycling them.

BIG nose, shouts citrus hops, mostly grapefruit, some pine. Hearty and encouraging, very inviting.

Taste follows smell, but the hoppiness is crisp, there's good biscuity malt presence, some good balancing sweetness. The flavors blend nicely on the mid-palate, and it has a good long bitter finish. Mouthfeel is rich and medium bodied, plus a little, a little creamy. Agressive carbonation, and slightly spicy.

Drinkability is where this brew shines. A very upbeat, easy to take, IPA, quite flavorful. Overall a fine delightful ale, just the thing for taking to the pool where no glass is allowed. And I will be enjoying a fine beer instead of the very ordinary beer that usually comes in cans. I'll be getting more sixers of this! Recommended.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a lovely deep amber, with really nice lacing and head retention. It just looks like a well brewed beer.

The aroma is maybe chinook hops, or something west coast that has an earthy, citrusy, almost ripe pineapple to it. Smells better than a lot of IPAs. Just juicy and wonderful. I'm not sure whether to snort this or drink this--the aroma just adds so much to the total drinking experience. Awesome.

The taste is wonderful with biscuity pale malt and crystal malt right on par with a c-hop (Columbus? Centenial? Chinook? I can't quite peg it) flavor and bitterness that imparts a nice fruitiness. It might almost be straddling the lines between a pale ale and an IPA, and no bad thing. The hops are an unusual blend of earthy and grapefruit, and whatever it is it works really well and makes for an interesting and engaging, highly enjoyable beer.

Moutfhfeel is full, lightly chewy, crisp, and just fantastically satisfying.

This was the best beer from a can I had ever had until I discovered Surly, but it's still right up there in the top five.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

Easy to find here in Colorado. Even easier to smuggle into Red Rocks. Gotta love it.

Appearance: Amber.

Smell: Strong smell of citrusy American hops and some sweet malt.

Taste: Delicious citrusy hops more than holding their own against the caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Sticky!

Drinkability: This beer has quite a personality, very drinkable. A top tier American pale ale.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber with a giant white foamy head. The head leaves great lacing,but the color of this beer is what grabs you.
I don't think I've ever seen an APA as dark as this,beautiful. The smell is very hoppy,citrus with floral undertones.
The taste has a perfect combination of bitter citrus hops and sweet malt. The crisp hops and mellow malt make this a great tasting beer.
The m/f is light with all the flavors mixing well making this one of the best APA's on the market. This is very good. Cheers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned craft beer! I love it. And there's good reasons for more craft beers to follow the Oskar Blues (and others') model.

Big white, foamy head that turns pockety and clumpy. Beautiful. Cloudy amber color. Great hop aroma. To me this is basically a well-made IPA, labeled as a pale ale.

This is a strong flavor and alcohol percentage pale ale. A respectable malt base, not offensively sweet, but present. Loads of hop character. Sweet. Spicy. Bitter. Acidic. Fresh. Lots to work with from such a humble can. More citrus than pine, which I think was the right lever to pull here.

Nice thickness to the liquid too, an underappreciated aspect of the hoppier pales and American IPA's. I don't like beers from this style to be watery, they should be slightly gooey and thick, but not too thick to where you're chewing through the brew. Oskar Blues gets it right here.

What Stone IPA is to the Western states and Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA is to the Eastern states, Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale should be for the mountain states, a regional standard to aspire to and even surpass within the style.

Definitely one of those beers that among your massive collection of bombers and 750ml's and infinite single bottles, should be stocked as a six pack for steady drinking.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours orange/yellow collor under pale head. Excellent head retention and lacing for a pale ale - the best I've ever seen for this type of beer. Normal clarity and carbonation level.

Great fruity hoppy smell - light colored fruits like bananas/pears, not cherries or plums.

Taste is smooth fruity hops that get more pronounced as the beer warms. And there's a nice buttery flavor.

I heard this was pretty hoppy, but I didn't find it overly hoppy. Maybe it's just got the type of hops I prefer - fruity rather than grassy or piney.

There's a good balance between the malts and hops. The beer is creamier and more full bodied than most pale ales. I really like the mouthfeel.

I could drink these all day; one of the best session beers around and my new favorite pale ale.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on-tap at a nearby bar. $2 off draft beers during happy hour keeps me, well, happy.
Pours a nice, pretty orange. Dale's smells quite nice with touches of hops and citrus. The taste is where this beer really shines for me. I was hesitant to try it because I know it comes in a can and I thought it might just be a gimmicky kind of beer. Little did I know this one is super smooth and drinkable. The taste is clearly APA-style hoppy but with the mix of citrus and maybe vanilla/caramel, the hops aren't as overwhelming as they can be in some similar styled beers.

This is an easy one to drink down.

Photo of

canned 6/29/11

a-darker than amber, active carbonation, two finger head. Looks nice in the glass.

s-smell is good, with it had a more hop forward nose. Smell is balanced, and what you would expect from a good pale ale.

t-tasty, with good malt/hop balance. I am not getting the bitter flavor that a lot of reviews have noted. I think this beer is well balanced and taste between a pale and an IPA. This beer warms up and taste more on the side of an IPA. Great example of the style.

m-slightly sticky and yummy.

o-the can is a great vessel for this beer. It is fresh, hop filled, and balanced. Excelent beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally tried this one at the Old Bay the other night. Liked it a lot and grabbed a six pack of cans today.

12 ounce can, shaker pint.

A - Fairly murky haze to this orange tinted golen amber color. About a finger of head forms and stays. Nice looking pale.

S - Nice hoppy aroma. Very straightforward. A nice citrusy hop smell. Great APA smell all the way.

T - More hops on the taste. A nice malty flavor as well though. This brew has some balance for an American pale.

M - Fairly full for an APA. Coats the mouth well.

D - Goes down nice and smooth.

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into one of my tapered pint glasses.

Appearance: Huge, three-finger head. Dark, honey-gold appearance. Head's taking its time receding, leaving spiderweb-sticky lacing as it goes. Frothy as the churned Atlantic on top, yet peaceful below. Recedes to about one-half of a finger's worth.

Smell: Struggling with a bit of a cold right now, but my stuffed nasal passages can't block the pungent floral hops. I am, in every sense of the word, a "hop-head," and I know that when I finally take a swig, it won't disappoint in this category. There's a hint, a TINY remnant of a smell that I can't put my finger on, but that is a bit displeasing. I almost feel bad even mentioning this generic sleight, but it must be said.

Taste: Oh yeah. Hopz 2 da maxXx, yet some malty notes as well. I figured this baby might register higher than a 6.5% abv given its rich taste. I don't know much about malts, being a hops man, but they are a nice compliment, providing the beer with a lot of balance.

Mouthfeel: Good, but I must say, nothing spectacular. I feel like this beer could benefit from more carbonation. Perhaps it's a testament to the amount of hops in it. Still, not bad. I think I may be drinking it at too cold of a temperature.

Drinkability: This is where this beer soars. I could session the hell out of this baby, if I could afford it. It really is very drinkable, despite the slightest bite from the hops.

Great beer. One I come back to on the reg. Splitting a sixer with my dad tonight. This first one, I'm drinking with some Stacy's pita chips and hummus. Nice balance. The second two will be at dinner: Baby green salad with cranberries, feta and walnuts. Fellas, don't knock it 'til ya try it. Chicken breasts off the grill and sweet potato fries for the main dish. A hearty meal with a hearty, complimentary beer. Dale's Pale Ale: Phenomenal!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this from a can into a glass (well, I had one from the can too). It is a deeper color than I expected - a nice amber. Got about 1 1/2 fingers, which stuck around for a little while.

The smell was at first weaker than I expected, but once it warmed up a few degrtees, the smeall really came out. Almost akin to Bell's Two hearted. Floral, citrusy, some APA pines. Very nice.

The taste was tremendous. A bit of a caramel and buttery backnote to some very strong and floral hops.
Most impressive is how refreshing it is. Like a nice homemade lemonade on a hot day. Didn't get "socks" on the teeth or long-lasting, get-out-of-my-mouth aftertaste; just a great APA that borders on IPA in hop-strength and some flavor.

It's pretty badass that it comes in a can too. Will definitely be getting more!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a: Right after I cracked open the can I noticed how full it is! Ive had beer in ball brand cans before, but this rocks. Maybe I was just lucky. Anyways this poured a hazy golden amber with an awesome bubbly beige head. The head was super soft and frothy like an ice cream float. Great retention.

s: The aroma is malty, hoppy, floral and deliciously breadlike.

t/mf: Hoppy and lightly bitey with a pleasant hint of caramel. The bready taste also leads to a kind of chewy mouthfeel that is full, sticky and wet. It is also lightly drying.

d: This is a full and well balanced brew from a can. You cannot tell it is from a can if you pour it and actually this one is great straight from the can. A very enjoyable pale ale. Too bad it is 9 bucks a 6er up here, but it is worth it I suppose.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Color was orangish with some froth
Smelled of biscuit and smelled of pine. Taste is pretty big for a pale ale. Strong malty caramel favors. Somewhat earthy flavor otherwise. Mouth is a medium body but sticky and sweet with a strong bitter finish that leaves the mouth dry. This beer bridges a gap between an ipa and a pa. I would drink again.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew