Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,850 | Hads: 6,817
4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Oskar Blues is relatively new in the California market (about 4 months now), but now I have found a single can of their flagship brew; Dale's Pale Ale. On to the beer:

Just as a pale ale should look. Creamy dense white head on top a shiny copper/orangish body. Definite eye candy. The aroma is very good too. Plenty of hops, but the sweet honey malt/bready/dry biscuit explodes underneath my nose with a good backbone of citrus zest. Mmmm, mm! That's the sound of my mouth after taking a couple sips. It's full of hops and malt (leaning towards malt). Similar sweet bready/honey flavors exist in the taste as well as the smell. Bits of diacteyl and caramel. Hops turn piney and sit on the palate in the aftertaste (the piney aftertaste takes some getting use to). Carbonation is low in this brew with a creamy feel.

Who needs frost brew can liners from the other Colorado brewery when you can drink Dale's Pale Ale? Go get this.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Clear golden amber, topped with a thick, creamy white head. Good head retention, with sticky lacework clinging to the glass.
Citrusy, hoppy aroma. Good balance, with some toasty nuttiness to the malt. A little citrusy orange and pear esters. Mostly clean.
Full bodied, with a creamy kinda feel. Toast, nutty malt, some mellow pear fruitiness, moving easily into a surprisingly hoppy finish. Packed with citrusy, resiny hop flavor. Some yeasty nuttiness, kinda like walnuts, lingering with grainy sweetness and grapefruit in the aftertaste. Kinda doughy and yeasty feeling, almost brown sugary. Really enjoyable. Super rock solid canned goodness. I could drink tons of this stuff week after week.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Beer in a can? Haven't had this since college. No best by date.

Pours a clear medium brown with an inch of tight white head on top.

Excellent grapefruit aroma imparted by the hops. This came from a can?

Damn! This is excellent!!! Beautiful sweet malts balanced perfectly with an intense bitter fresh grapefruit that is bursting with juiciness. Chewy mouthfeel, insanely smooth, this is phenomenal.

Brewed by two self-proclaimed hill-billy brothers, who refuse to bottle anything, this would appear gimmicky at first, but after opening, and consuming you realize this is the real deal. An excellent beer whether canned/bottled, whatever.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Had this beer on several occasions, always out of a can. I'm a fan of this beer and would love the opportunity to have on draft.

A - Pours a pretty light amber/golden color. Small thin head but generous lacing down the glass. Lightly carbonated, but certainly not flat-ish.

S - Nice aromas. It would be a brilliantly smelling beer is they aromas popped a little more (hence why I would love on draft with a bigger head/carbonation) but the flavors are very nice. Sweet citrus/floral with some malt/bready smells.

T - Great tasting beer. Hops to malts to bitterness on the finish. Front hop flavors are floral/citrus, followed by malt/bready sweet flavors, and the finish leaves bitterness on the tongue. Excellent flavorful ale.

M - Also, excellent. Full bodied for a Pale Ale making it a pleasure to drink.

D - Very nice beer. With slightly higher carbonation, this Pale Ale would be hard to beat. Always a nice to drink and a very sessionable beer.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Served in a can at the South Philadelphia Taproom.

Pours a dark amber color with tihn foamy off-white head. Pleasant hoppy aroma with nice malty balance. Very quaffable beer with a perfect balance of caramel malts and bitter hops. Not very pale and quite hoppy for a pale ale. Excellent!

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz can poured into 20oz guinness pint glass.

A- Nice copper hue, with a sight chill haze, thin but enduring head with slight trace of lace

S- Clean, citrus balanced with caramel

T&M- YUM!! Hops and malt in near perfect unison that is not very common in a pale ale. The light carbonation closes the deal, as the brew effortlessly slides across the tongue.

D- Every time I have this brew, I wonder why it's not my everyday beer. Now that I can find it close to the house, it will be. The icing on the cake, it's also a great value.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

To stay with the spirit of beer in a can, I did not pour this beer into a glass. Thus, the appearance is metallic and colorful with blues and reds offset by silver highlights. It has been quite awhile since I have drank beer out of a can. The last one I had was undoubtedly a beer from the great brew city of Milwaukee. This, needless to say, buries those brews.

Aroma from the mouthhole is moderately hopped and cold when the aluminum touches your nose(Although I don't really trust my sense of smell that much right now as I got Acid Brite #2 up my nose while cleaning yeast off the brewery floor. Such is life). Mouthfeel is just about perfect for a pale. Taste is well balanced with malt up front and a clean hop finish.

The drinkability is fantastic. Maybe it's just the giddy feeling I get by drinking a good beer out of a can, but this brew is a refreshing change while watching the Bucks dominate the offensive glass. Cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Alright I am not gonna lie I was a bit skeptical going in a craft beer from a can?!?!?! But it is damn good.

Alright appearance to me was not all that impressive. It is a bit darker then most pale ales i have drank with a coppery color to it. It also has a decent head and some decent lacing but nothing spectacular.

The smell is great. If I had this beer a year ago I would have hated it because of hoppy it smells it smells like an IPA to me. Its amazing to see how my palate and nose has changed over the last year. The smell is extremly hoppy to me and to me the hop presence is soo overpowering its all i really get out of the smell of this beer.

Now the taste of this beer is great after getting such a huge hop presence out of the nose I was expecting a major hopbomb is the taste but boy was I wrong. The taste of this beer is amazing a great citrus hop tasted backed up by an amazing malt presence that really balances this beer out.

This beer has a great monthfeel to it and with good carbonation.

I usally don't find really hoppy beers all the drinkable but this is thanks to the amazing malt presence that makes it such a great pale ale.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

On nitro-tap at Papago Brewing in Scottsdale, AZ.

Everything good about Dale's but better because all characteristics are enhanced...with this to add:

Creamy, spicy, hoppy, carbonated goodness. A brighter but smoother pale ale. Very unique. An awesome way to serve this beer. Try it if you see it.

Poured from 12oz can a hazy reddish gold with a large head of foam

The smell is all kinds of hoppy with notes of grapefruit and some grass. There's even a touch of sweetness from the malt in the nose.

The taste is big on hops up front with the grapefruit noted in the smell though the grassiness plays a minor role. Midway through there's a good caramel malt sweetness that offsets the hop bitterness nicely creating some really good balance but..the hops take over again near and through the finish.

Other notes: the body on this pale is really good and the drinkability, despite the 6.5%abv, is very high for me.

Bottom line: This is a great APA! 'nuff said!

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

This is the first can beer I have bought in a long time. I was not really looking forward to it because I don't like can drinks but got a single and said what the hell.

Poured deep orange and hazy with an excellent head. Smell is a very nice hoppy smell...I'm impressed so far. taste is spo ton for a APA, this is much better that the Restoration APA I had earlier. The bitter hops was perfectly balance and now I wish I had bought a sixer.

As others have said this is the best beer I have ever had from a can, The Common Market has this on tap too so I'm gonna have to compare. :)

Dales's saves the day!! I'm going to the drag races next week and only cans are allowed...now I can take a beer with me that I can stand to drink!! Yea Dales!!!!

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Had a Dale's and a Gordon in the same night. Loved them both!

A: 2 fingers beige head; amber with gorgeous dark golden edges. not too much retention but decent lacing nevertheless.
S: Subtle hoppiness; juicy citrus with a mild honey malt
T: Extremely hoppy and oh so delicious. Wow, pine and grapefruit right off the bat. Malt is very present as a sweetness that's just enough to call this a balanced pale ale. Fruit esters are pleasantly sweet as well. Ends in a wonderful bitterness, and not a touch of metallic.
M: Light to medium body. All the necessary carbonation. Light residuals throughout the palate.
D: I will most definitely be picking more of these up.

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%

I had this beer over 2 years ago on our "Beegrimage" to 10 Colorado breweries in 2 days. Oskar Blues was on our list. So when a friend offered to bring me a box of 12 cans back from Colorado, I was overjoyed.

A nice retentive head, exceptional caramel malt flavor, and superbly balanced hop bittering... does it get any better for APA lovers? It's strange to open a craft beer from a can, but the hop aroma that sifts out is amazing. The 12 oz can was just like I remember the draft when visiting the brew pub.

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%

"I've never seen so much wealth in one place. This is incredible." Huge vats of molten gold are frothing in military rows down the sides of the room. The heat is almost unbearable.
Interesting, but when it's that hot, one can see that it is a cloudy orange color, rather than the more metallic yellow. The dross foams up every once in a while, looking like white soap-bubbles in a kitchen sink. The heat makes it quickly dry, and the walls of each vat are densely speckled with leftovers.
"I had no idea it would smell like this..." Rich. Unbelievable malty, but the most pure malt aroma possible - no real distinct notes of toffee or biscuit, but the malt character could be fairly compared to a Werther's, though not quite as sweet.
The hop aroma balances handily. Mostly resiny in character, it smells like Christmas without the spice. Reminds me - dare I say it - of the hopping in Double Crooked Tree.
We step through the door and the eighty-degree summer is a relief compared to what I've just experienced. He hands me an unlabeled cup of some sort of liquid.
The flavor is exactly what I just smelled, though the sweetness is a little more, and the hopping in the finish overrides.
Thick and full-bodied, especially for a pale ale. Carbonation is low, and the finish lingers with that wonderful hop note.

"Thank you for having me today. Would you mind telling me what this is I'm drinking?"

"Oh, that's Dale's Pale Ale. And what do you mean, 'having you here?' we've been sitting right here on your couch the whole time."

And so we had. But if you'd like to experience liquid gold... this is probably as close as you'll get.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

On-tap from Taco Mac in Austell, Georgia. Dale's is one of my favorite pale ales so I jumped at the chance of having one on-tap for the first time. It arrived with a thin head, just like everything else I've had here. I think they're just trying to be generous with the pour. The color is rich orange and quite clean.

The smell is a fabulous citrus note and a little sweetness. The taste is just as good. I got oily hops and a small sweet malty background. In the can I get more malt i think, but on-tap the hops rule. Primarily grapefruit and some pine flavors. This tasted more like an IPA than an APA.

The mouth feel is medium with perfect carbonation for the style. It felt a little oily and the bitter hops caused my mouth to pucker. Pretty good drinkability. I know I could have had another and maybe even one more.

I've always liked Dale's and I like the on-tap version even better.

From my notes this August:

I finally went for the can. I am ashamed it took me this long. This is aroma and flavor nirvana for hop heads looking for an American Pale or American IPA.

I like my pales and IPA's to have a real balance and respectable backbone, and it never hurts to have that piny almost syrupy resinous smell of wonderful North American hops.

Oskar Blue's strikes gold with Dale's Pale.

Moral of the story, don't fear the can.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

A: A translucent orange-bronze color. The head is moderately large, extremely dense, and creamy, with a slightly orange tint. Retention is excellent, with quite a bit of attractive lacing.

S: Grapefruit, orange peel, resiny pine sap, and brown sugar. Some pale malt in the background. Some bready/yeasty aromas as well.

T: Some firm caramel and pale malt up front. I was worried it would be a hop-bomb from the nose, but it's just a big, balanced pale ale. Hops primarily bring to mind orange peel and some sweetened grapefruit before fading into a resiny pine bitterness.

M: Fairly sticky and full in body. Carbonation is subdued, especially considering how thick this is for the style.

D: Very, very nice pale ale here from Oskar Blues. Very hoppy and flavorful, yet backed with a pretty firm malt backbone. Maybe more brewers should experiment with the cans - they've certainly nailed it here.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

The colour is pale brown with a tint of red; the liquid is a bit hazy. The two finger head is beige, compact and firm. Lots of lacing.

The smell is generously hoppy in an American way: Grapefruits, lemons, sweet malt, butter and a fine strong bitterness that keeps in the background.

A fruity sweet hoppy flavour dominates the taste. Butterscotch, apricots, grapefruits, sour candy and roasted nuts. The buttery fat flavours stay while the bitterness evolves into a more tart bitterness. The aftertaste is somewhat sweet with a long lasting luxurious hoppy-fruity flavours and a bitter flavour that keeps in the background, giving room for the other notes without loosing its own place.

The carbonation is a bit stronger than medium; the very small bubbles are very fresh. The liquid is smooth, almost thick.

A very well crafted APA, bordering to an AIPA.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this baby out of a snifter just so I could take in all the fetching aromas.
The body reveals a honey orange with a half inch creamy tan head that sinks much but not all the way.
The smell is an intoxicating mixture of citrus and sweet. Like a rum cake covered in tangerine, or a biscuit smothered in orange marmalade. Outstanding.
The taste is dominated by a malty, fruity foundation, that's sheltered by a piney, citrusy hop bitterness that brings it all together perfectly. I'm left with an orange aftertaste that reminds me of one of my favorite's: Bell's Two Hearted.
The mouthfeel is smooth with moderate carbonation.
Overall, I'm considerably impressed. I've also come to conclude that there's not much of a difference between a APA and an IPA.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

In a can that looks like a Discount Club cola can?

Pours a beautiful, clear, golden amber, with thickly constructed, beige, one finger head. A gentle swirl reveals a dextrinous look to it and leaves lasting impressionist paintings of lace on the glass.

Aroma is a surprise of floral, citrus, pine, and gentle grain hints, other subtle notes I don't identify, all balanced excellently. What a nose, this could be perfume, just sweet enough, just subtle enough, just bold enough. Best nose on a PA I've smelled. Ever.

Taste is a bold, balanced, brilliant blast of citrus, pine, earth, and grain. It's a very clean, light, very alive taste, not bready, not caramel-ly, but enough of a malty goodness to balance this into a marvelous flavor. It finishes with a flourish of bitter herbosity, cleanly and refreshingly, ending in a ghost of sweetness and flowers. It is just dry enough, just complex enough, just on the edge of a new style enough to be a remarkable brew.

Mouthfeel judged in the style is on the edge of too resinous, it feels more like an IPA, it is medium body and hop thick to say the least, but the carbonation is perfect, it supports a long finish, and it clears relatively well for the next sip. Geez, what more could you ask for such a full flavor yet refreshing beer as this?

Drinkability is exceptional, great taste, refreshing, vibrant, interesting, sure glad I got this, will get again fersure.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From the 12oz (Brevard, NC) can into a "pint" glass. This is and has been one of my favorites for a few years now. I'm glad to see that it has become more and more available.

Golden amber pour. Rich, thick white head. To get it in a 12 oz glass, the first two seconds need to be down the side of the glass.Then, straight down the center. A great release as the glass fills and reaches above the rim.

It's been said before, no doubt. This is a citrusy, malty beer. Strong flavor that never bites back, but still faint molasses texture that leaves great flavor from sip to sip.

It's hard to turn down a Dales when someone offers...unless I've already had two. A great, strong, full-flavor pale ale.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer poured clear, coppery amber with a rich off-white head that faded but left generous lacing. An appealing beer. The can is a blast - I rarely buy cans anymore. Please remember to recycle these cans, there's a lot of electricity that goes into making them and a lot that can be saved by recycling them.

BIG nose, shouts citrus hops, mostly grapefruit, some pine. Hearty and encouraging, very inviting.

Taste follows smell, but the hoppiness is crisp, there's good biscuity malt presence, some good balancing sweetness. The flavors blend nicely on the mid-palate, and it has a good long bitter finish. Mouthfeel is rich and medium bodied, plus a little, a little creamy. Agressive carbonation, and slightly spicy.

Drinkability is where this brew shines. A very upbeat, easy to take, IPA, quite flavorful. Overall a fine delightful ale, just the thing for taking to the pool where no glass is allowed. And I will be enjoying a fine beer instead of the very ordinary beer that usually comes in cans. I'll be getting more sixers of this! Recommended.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a lovely deep amber, with really nice lacing and head retention. It just looks like a well brewed beer.

The aroma is maybe chinook hops, or something west coast that has an earthy, citrusy, almost ripe pineapple to it. Smells better than a lot of IPAs. Just juicy and wonderful. I'm not sure whether to snort this or drink this--the aroma just adds so much to the total drinking experience. Awesome.

The taste is wonderful with biscuity pale malt and crystal malt right on par with a c-hop (Columbus? Centenial? Chinook? I can't quite peg it) flavor and bitterness that imparts a nice fruitiness. It might almost be straddling the lines between a pale ale and an IPA, and no bad thing. The hops are an unusual blend of earthy and grapefruit, and whatever it is it works really well and makes for an interesting and engaging, highly enjoyable beer.

Moutfhfeel is full, lightly chewy, crisp, and just fantastically satisfying.

This was the best beer from a can I had ever had until I discovered Surly, but it's still right up there in the top five.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

Easy to find here in Colorado. Even easier to smuggle into Red Rocks. Gotta love it.

Appearance: Amber.

Smell: Strong smell of citrusy American hops and some sweet malt.

Taste: Delicious citrusy hops more than holding their own against the caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Sticky!

Drinkability: This beer has quite a personality, very drinkable. A top tier American pale ale.

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber with a giant white foamy head. The head leaves great lacing,but the color of this beer is what grabs you.
I don't think I've ever seen an APA as dark as this,beautiful. The smell is very hoppy,citrus with floral undertones.
The taste has a perfect combination of bitter citrus hops and sweet malt. The crisp hops and mellow malt make this a great tasting beer.
The m/f is light with all the flavors mixing well making this one of the best APA's on the market. This is very good. Cheers.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew