Join our email list →

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

American Pale Ale (APA) | 6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,865 | Hads: 6,918
4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

A beautiful red in color -- almost glowing -- with a foamy, off-white head that doesn't reduce to a thin layer. No sir, this head stays about half and inch thick.

It has a nice, strong citrus smell of hops. The taste is also heavy on the hops and bitterness, without being overpowering. It has just enough malt profile.

The body is hefty enough to keep this beer from seeming watered down.

This is an excellent Pale Ale and another great beer from Oskar Blues. Long live canned beer!

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

This beer pours a nice light semi cloudy amber with a 2 fingered head with lacing. The smell is nice mostly of bittering hops. The taste is very impressive, perfectly hopped in my opinion and a wonderful malt backbone. Certainly lots of bitter in this beer and a nice nutty flavor. The mouthfeel is nice, might be a touch overcarbonated I drank 7 of these last night so I would say its rather drinkable

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into 13 oz tulip. Canned on 8/29/11, thanks OB. Pours a orange red, with a 1 inch sticky white head, tons of lacing. Smell pine, orange, and grass. Taste all of that, maybe a little bolder then the nose. Very refreshing, but large body for the style. This is the best pale ale going. I would drink this summer, fall, winter, or spring.

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured a nice rich attractive amber color with fluffy off-white head that lasted for a while. Nice hoppy aroma. This was a very nicely balance pale ale. Mouth feel and carbonation were perfect. This was easy drinking and I could drink a lot in a sitting. I think I have a new favorite Pale Ale.

4.34/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Updates:
6-9-2015 - This is my "go to" beer on the road due to the can. Had it at the Doylestown Station Taphouse served "nitro"! Oh so smooth and delicious. Biggest difference from the can is the look and feel of the nitro.

4.34/5  rDev +10.4%

A..Cannot really say since I drank it from the can. I heard such great things about this beer that I figured I should enjoy my first from the can.

S..Smells like it belongs in a bottle. Nice hops scent; not overpowering.

T..This was very tasty, especially considering it's presented in a an aluminum can. Hops are there obviously, but not nearly as strong as I had thought. The malt definitely takes a back seat to the hops, but I felt there was a good equilibrium between the two.

M..Light bodied. Smooth; very good for the summer.

D..Easy to drink, especially if it's warm outside. Best canned beer I have ever had (the rumors were true). Recommended if you want a stronger pale ale for a backyard cook out, or a few beers doing house work. I hope to have again soon.

4.34/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've been drinking Dales Pale Ale since it arrived here in NWA and its honestly gotten better than the first time i had it.

A: Pours a nice dark amber color out of the can with a steady head to it.

S: Very caramel malt oriented and piney right up front with a nice hop presence.

T: Extremely crisp! very refreshing beer, has some nice strong hops towards the end of the sip.

O: As far as Pale Ales go, this has been my favorite. Very easy to drink, pleasant and not boring to drink like most pale ales I've had lately.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Appearance is low head and moderate lacing...fairly clear orange IPA color. Smell is certainly of good hops.. pleasant and tropical. Flavor is outstanding. Balance of pine, sweet tropical fruit and a light bready character. Pleasant bitterness and mellow vibes. Mouthfeel is medium, although this beer carries itself and doesn't leave me hanging. This is really once of the best (S)IPA's that I've ever had.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass with a thin white head due to an extra slow pour. Head dissipates slowly leaving moderate lacing. Citrus/pine aroma. Malt sweetness leads heavy grapefruit flavor and a dry crisp finish; a lot of complexity going on here. Good medium-heavy body and a highly drinkable, enjoyable beer.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

A- nice looking beer, with a cooper color, thin head and sticky lace
S- nice hoppy aroma, all the usual citrus notes of a good IPA along with piney notes

T- Malts are in the background, but they're there enough to provide balance and to go along with the hop profile, the IBUs are noticeable as the clean bitterness lingers nicely. Crisp and refreshing feel to this beer.
M- Medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Easy drinking tasty APA.

D- I love this beer, one of my favorite if not favorite APA, love it on a golf course or in the backyard. Hops come through so nice, actually enjoy this more the their Gordan DIPA offereing.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

If Oskar Blues put this in a bottle, it cracks the top 10 or 20 for APAs.

If you like Sierra Nevada APA, give this a try. Reminds me of said beer, but amped-up a bit.

If SN APA is like an order of "medium" hot wings, Oskar Blues' Dale's Pale Ale is an order of "hot, with extra blue cheese and celerey".

A good sipper, or can be drank "en-masse", as evidenced during a nice game of horeshoes played this past weekend.

Canned on 5/26/10
Consumed 9/26/10

Apperance- Cloudy amber/copper color. Medium thin white head.

Smell- A nice array of hops. More piney in smell profile. If there's any weakness in this beer is the aroma. I will say I've had fresher cans of Dale's that have a much bigger smell.

Taste- Very refreshing! Very smooth fore taste that spirals into a hoppy mid and finishing taste. Very crisp but with a decently aggressive hop profile. Much hoppier than a SA Pale Ale for reference.

Mouthfeel- Outstanding. Very delicate and clean. Decent carbonation on the tongue but solid throughout.

Drinkability- Very high. I could easily drink three to four of these per session.

Overall- This is one of my favorite pale ales. I appreciate how balanced it is. Pretty much the standard I hold all pale ales too. It's awesome to have cans. I take this to any outdoor endeavor and there's nothing better than sipping a Dale's in the wilderness.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Pours an orange amber, clear. One finger of off-white head sticks around and provides decent lacing.

S: You can smell this beer as it's being poured. Fresh juicy hops, grapefruit, orange, some pine. There's some caramel malt in there as well.

T: Big hop taste right from the top. Citrus, pine, maybe a bit of pepper at the end. There's also a dryer floral hop in there as well. Backed up with the sweet caramel malts, this is a great balanced pale ale.

M: Best Pale Ale I've had in this respect, creamy full bodied, right on chewy.

O: My new favorite pale ale, the juicy hop combo is amazing, the mouthfeel is unreal.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured a copper orange with a slight haze and a light yellowish head that maintains a thin cap. Wet lacings on the glass. Mild floral orange aroma, but not citrusy. Buttery aromas and feel. Well balanced malt and hop flavor, with neither overtaking the other and delayed hoppy finish that doesn't linger. Very smooth and nicely carbonated.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Oskar Blues is relatively new in the California market (about 4 months now), but now I have found a single can of their flagship brew; Dale's Pale Ale. On to the beer:

Just as a pale ale should look. Creamy dense white head on top a shiny copper/orangish body. Definite eye candy. The aroma is very good too. Plenty of hops, but the sweet honey malt/bready/dry biscuit explodes underneath my nose with a good backbone of citrus zest. Mmmm, mm! That's the sound of my mouth after taking a couple sips. It's full of hops and malt (leaning towards malt). Similar sweet bready/honey flavors exist in the taste as well as the smell. Bits of diacteyl and caramel. Hops turn piney and sit on the palate in the aftertaste (the piney aftertaste takes some getting use to). Carbonation is low in this brew with a creamy feel.

Who needs frost brew can liners from the other Colorado brewery when you can drink Dale's Pale Ale? Go get this.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Clear golden amber, topped with a thick, creamy white head. Good head retention, with sticky lacework clinging to the glass.
Citrusy, hoppy aroma. Good balance, with some toasty nuttiness to the malt. A little citrusy orange and pear esters. Mostly clean.
Full bodied, with a creamy kinda feel. Toast, nutty malt, some mellow pear fruitiness, moving easily into a surprisingly hoppy finish. Packed with citrusy, resiny hop flavor. Some yeasty nuttiness, kinda like walnuts, lingering with grainy sweetness and grapefruit in the aftertaste. Kinda doughy and yeasty feeling, almost brown sugary. Really enjoyable. Super rock solid canned goodness. I could drink tons of this stuff week after week.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Beer in a can? Haven't had this since college. No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a clear medium brown with an inch of tight white head on top.

Aroma:

Excellent grapefruit aroma imparted by the hops. This came from a can?

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Damn! This is excellent!!! Beautiful sweet malts balanced perfectly with an intense bitter fresh grapefruit that is bursting with juiciness. Chewy mouthfeel, insanely smooth, this is phenomenal.

Notes:

Brewed by two self-proclaimed hill-billy brothers, who refuse to bottle anything, this would appear gimmicky at first, but after opening, and consuming you realize this is the real deal. An excellent beer whether canned/bottled, whatever.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Had this beer on several occasions, always out of a can. I'm a fan of this beer and would love the opportunity to have on draft.

A - Pours a pretty light amber/golden color. Small thin head but generous lacing down the glass. Lightly carbonated, but certainly not flat-ish.

S - Nice aromas. It would be a brilliantly smelling beer is they aromas popped a little more (hence why I would love on draft with a bigger head/carbonation) but the flavors are very nice. Sweet citrus/floral with some malt/bready smells.

T - Great tasting beer. Hops to malts to bitterness on the finish. Front hop flavors are floral/citrus, followed by malt/bready sweet flavors, and the finish leaves bitterness on the tongue. Excellent flavorful ale.

M - Also, excellent. Full bodied for a Pale Ale making it a pleasure to drink.

D - Very nice beer. With slightly higher carbonation, this Pale Ale would be hard to beat. Always a nice to drink and a very sessionable beer.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Served in a can at the South Philadelphia Taproom.

Pours a dark amber color with tihn foamy off-white head. Pleasant hoppy aroma with nice malty balance. Very quaffable beer with a perfect balance of caramel malts and bitter hops. Not very pale and quite hoppy for a pale ale. Excellent!

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz can poured into 20oz guinness pint glass.

A- Nice copper hue, with a sight chill haze, thin but enduring head with slight trace of lace

S- Clean, citrus balanced with caramel

T&M- YUM!! Hops and malt in near perfect unison that is not very common in a pale ale. The light carbonation closes the deal, as the brew effortlessly slides across the tongue.

D- Every time I have this brew, I wonder why it's not my everyday beer. Now that I can find it close to the house, it will be. The icing on the cake, it's also a great value.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

To stay with the spirit of beer in a can, I did not pour this beer into a glass. Thus, the appearance is metallic and colorful with blues and reds offset by silver highlights. It has been quite awhile since I have drank beer out of a can. The last one I had was undoubtedly a beer from the great brew city of Milwaukee. This, needless to say, buries those brews.

Aroma from the mouthhole is moderately hopped and cold when the aluminum touches your nose(Although I don't really trust my sense of smell that much right now as I got Acid Brite #2 up my nose while cleaning yeast off the brewery floor. Such is life). Mouthfeel is just about perfect for a pale. Taste is well balanced with malt up front and a clean hop finish.

The drinkability is fantastic. Maybe it's just the giddy feeling I get by drinking a good beer out of a can, but this brew is a refreshing change while watching the Bucks dominate the offensive glass. Cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Alright I am not gonna lie I was a bit skeptical going in a craft beer from a can?!?!?! But it is damn good.

Alright appearance to me was not all that impressive. It is a bit darker then most pale ales i have drank with a coppery color to it. It also has a decent head and some decent lacing but nothing spectacular.

The smell is great. If I had this beer a year ago I would have hated it because of hoppy it smells it smells like an IPA to me. Its amazing to see how my palate and nose has changed over the last year. The smell is extremly hoppy to me and to me the hop presence is soo overpowering its all i really get out of the smell of this beer.

Now the taste of this beer is great after getting such a huge hop presence out of the nose I was expecting a major hopbomb is the taste but boy was I wrong. The taste of this beer is amazing a great citrus hop tasted backed up by an amazing malt presence that really balances this beer out.

This beer has a great monthfeel to it and with good carbonation.

I usally don't find really hoppy beers all the drinkable but this is thanks to the amazing malt presence that makes it such a great pale ale.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

On nitro-tap at Papago Brewing in Scottsdale, AZ.

Everything good about Dale's but better because all characteristics are enhanced...with this to add:

Creamy, spicy, hoppy, carbonated goodness. A brighter but smoother pale ale. Very unique. An awesome way to serve this beer. Try it if you see it.

Poured from 12oz can a hazy reddish gold with a large head of foam

The smell is all kinds of hoppy with notes of grapefruit and some grass. There's even a touch of sweetness from the malt in the nose.

The taste is big on hops up front with the grapefruit noted in the smell though the grassiness plays a minor role. Midway through there's a good caramel malt sweetness that offsets the hop bitterness nicely creating some really good balance but..the hops take over again near and through the finish.

Other notes: the body on this pale is really good and the drinkability, despite the 6.5%abv, is very high for me.

Bottom line: This is a great APA! 'nuff said!

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

This is the first can beer I have bought in a long time. I was not really looking forward to it because I don't like can drinks but got a single and said what the hell.

Poured deep orange and hazy with an excellent head. Smell is a very nice hoppy smell...I'm impressed so far. taste is spo ton for a APA, this is much better that the Restoration APA I had earlier. The bitter hops was perfectly balance and now I wish I had bought a sixer.

As others have said this is the best beer I have ever had from a can, The Common Market has this on tap too so I'm gonna have to compare. :)

Dales's saves the day!! I'm going to the drag races next week and only cans are allowed...now I can take a beer with me that I can stand to drink!! Yea Dales!!!!

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew