1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002)
Ratings: 4,634 | Reviews: 1,692 | Show All Ratings:
MistahBeah

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear amber with a thick frothy off-white head. Good retention. Some chunky lacing. Some carbonation

Smells of bready and caramel malts. Big resinous pine hops. Fruity citrus hops. Some floral leafy hops too

Taste follows suit. Caramel malts balanced by citrus and pine hops. Some metallic element to the taste as well

Feels full. Spicy and resinous

Overall a nice pale. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nicely balanced. Goes down smooth. Tastes good

11-02-2013 00:07:10 | More by MistahBeah
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

4.46/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

355ml Can from Good Spirits Co, Glagow (£3.60):
Caramel amber with red tinges & a creamy white head on top with great retention.

Caramel & citrus with sweet malts, pine and a hint of grapefruit that follow this with a hoppy, tropical fruit infused and some further sweetness from the malts to round things off.

Sweet malts & caramel that seems to dominate, although the tropical fruit flavours are more pronounced than they were in the aroma. More hops and pine that in the smell with some juicy citrus too.

Medium & smooth with lively carbonation & it's quite fruity with a lot of bitterness & sweetness. A slightly dry finish with a citrus tang and the balance is great.

An outstanding beer & probably the best American pale ale I've tried to date. Great balance between the sweet caramel malts and the hop filled pine and tropical fruit notes that are backed up with a solid, bitter finish. One that did not disappoint in the slightest.

10-22-2013 10:36:50 | More by flyingpig
delta490

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

A- a lovely clear caramel with a billowy white head. The head dissipates in fairly short order but lasts around the glass' circumference and leaves big lacing

S- big caramel malt coupled with citrus hops

T- tastes like it smells, which is a really good thing

M- a nice fullness to it. Not too heavy or light

O- a great big Pale Ale

10-15-2013 21:26:20 | More by delta490
BMMillsy

3.44/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mug cause it's all I had. Frothy head with a copper color. Aroma is almost stale adjunct...maybe a result of the mug. Flavor is without much bitter and slightly watered down. Malt flavor and a tinge of hops. Didn't finish clean. Medium carbonation. Session beer mouthfeel. I'll have to re-rate when I have something other than a penguin Christmas mug.

10-15-2013 02:21:35 | More by BMMillsy
CASK1

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Can poured to a Sam Adams pint glass.

A - Light amber with plenty of haze. Ivory head falls to a persistent thin layer that leaves nice lacing down the glass.

S - Hops dominate. Piney and resiny, with citrus in the background. Ligth sweet, toasted bread malt comes though as the beer warms.

T - A bit more balanced than the aroma. Lots of hops, with a complex blend of pine, resin, and citrus. Hop bitterness is medium-high, but there is substantial supporting malt that balances more than an IPA.The malt is lightly sweet, grainy and a bit toasty. Bitterness lingers long into the finish a lot like an IPA.

M - Medium body and medium-high carbonation leads to a nice dry, almost astringent finish. Alcohol is very well hidden.

O - One of my new favorite PA, and a likely go-to for a regular fridge stock.

10-13-2013 23:21:03 | More by CASK1
TempeBeerMan

Arizona

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a clear light gold, with a fluffy three-finger crème colored head. Strong head retention. Impressive lacing.

S - A pretty potent and deep blend of west coast hops; getting pine, grass, and fruity notes. Not much of a malt presence, but a sweet note does come out as it warms.

T - Oh wow. This brew brings lots of hops, but also a nice balance with a sweetish malt underbody that plays off the bitterness really well. As far as hops, they are blended so well that no one hop variety stands clear; you get a little spruce, a little mint, a lot of citrus, some mango, and even a hint of earthiness. Somehow manages to pack a lot of hop punch without excess alpha acids, which make this a very smooth drink. Delicious.

M - Medium bodied, high to medium carbonation. Drying finish leaves you craving the next sip.

O - A very hoppy APA, almost so much that it's probably closer to an IPA, but man is this well put together. Basically a good IPA with the acidity dialed down and the malts dialed up. All the components compliment each other nicely. I could easily finish a six'er of this and not get tired of it.

10-12-2013 21:29:04 | More by TempeBeerMan
Ohmmygawd

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pint can to glass.
It's a good looking pale ale. The floral hops smell hits you right away and complements the bitter pale taste wonderfully. I was a little worried it would be too thick and too much like an IPA but it's light and a pleasure to drink. Dale's Pale Ale works really well as a great beer to have with a burger and it's light enough to have a couple without feeling too full.

Great beer to have with friends.

10-08-2013 23:24:49 | More by Ohmmygawd
charlzm

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Consumed October 6th, 2013. Poured from a can labeled "Canned on 08/19/13 @ 10:55 - Frogs love hops". Poured into a Samuel Adams "perfect pint" glass.

Beer is a brilliantly clear pale medium yellow. A two-finger off-white head springs into action during the pour and hangs around for quite some time after, providing splotchy lacing.

Very aromatic beer. Sitting two feet away from the glass, I still catch whiffs from the glass. Sweet and doughy with some floral notes, it's not the hop bomb in the nose I was anticipating.

Flavor is nice and strong without being rude: Caramel malts up front are partly obscured by carbonation tingle. Then, an assertive hop wash of flowers, onion, undefined citrus and black pepper follows on. At and after the swallow, the ghost of the malts comes back to haunt for a brief moment before moving into the light of a lingering bitterness.

Slightly creamy and a little thick, this beer is also a bit over-carbonated: the tingle/burn interferes with the flavor early in each sip.

Overall, a welcome change fom the West Coast hop bombs I'm used to running into, but not a beer I'm overly enthusiastic about.

10-06-2013 17:47:17 | More by charlzm
Roguer

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Two-finger quickly fading head, creamy and fluffy. Orange and copper translucent brew with slowly rising carbonation. Nice scattered lacing.

Citrus on the pour; strong caramel with weaker citrus and pine from the glass.

Follows the nose: caramel, honey, pine, and citrus, with a bit of a metallic aftertaste, as well as some dry astringency. Tastes exactly how an American Pale Ale should. Just enough hops to put it on the edge of an IPA.

A little dry on the finish, with some hop oil residue. Slightly syrupy with a medium to medium-light body. No sting or foaming.

This is a good brew, and makes for a great every day beer. It's neither as complicated nor satisfying as the more complex APAs or IPAs, but it's very smooth and drinkable.

10-05-2013 19:24:42 | More by Roguer
Infiniteingest

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Generally: I never cared for Dale's PA in the past. I always found it a bit heavy on malt, and stylistically prosaic, but I have been drinking it lately after work as it is on-hand and affordable. I've learned to appreciate it. It's a nice beer with enough complexity to warrant some thought.

The Pour: It compliments my special Dogfish Head IPA glass nicely. Crystal clear mahogany in color, with active and ongoing carbonation. Its marshmallow white head lingers with good latticing. It looks like a beer made by people who love beer--it would be a source of pride for any home-brewer.

Face in the glass: This is frankly the biggest disappointment for me. I get almost nothing out of this can of Dale's, nor can I say I have ever gotten much out of any other can of Dale's--I have yet to drink it on draft. Vague biscuity notes and some crisp citric hops, but I need a flashlight to find them. There's nothing offensive here, but nothing exciting, either.

With Regard to Taste: The malt used to drive me crazy--I found it overdone in the past, and maybe they have modified their mash a bit since--but I have learned to really like the apparent agreement between the sweet, bready malt, and the piney hops. It drinks like an English Pale Ale with a little gas in its tank--6.5% ABV... not my favorite style when "reinterpreted by Yanks"! But it works, people! I'd like to add that, while there's not a ton of evidence of "voluminous hop(ping)", there's enough to satisfy many a hop-head.

Abstract: Within the realm of ubiquitous ales, Dale's PA is worth drinking--by which I mean, paying for over a lot of its kin. The malt tastes, frankly, better than the hops--which I think account for the slightly mealy mouthfeel, and there is balance here. If you're feeling thoughtful about beer, you'll find no treasure here, if you're just "working", this will take care of you... fatty foods will love it.

Epitoma: As good as most omnipresent "craft beers", but there's no lightning in this bottle.

Note: Dale's dreams of fatty pub food--Fish and Chips = HELL YEAH!

Serving type: can/tallboy/"Stovepipe"

10-04-2013 16:30:42 | More by Infiniteingest
Greywulfken

3.84/5  rDev -1.5%

A: clear amber beer, thick head of washed out beige left lace sheeting behind; persistent cap

S: citrusy medley of pale orange rinds and dark grapefruit pith

T: take that dark grapefruit pith and pale orange rind, and apply some dense malty and resinous sweetness and a crisp, drying close, with just a flash of sweet before its gone

M: full-bodied for the style, evenly carbonated; crisp, bittering; wet, then drying

O: not being a big APA drinker, I found this quite good if unexceptional. It was fuller-feeling and maltier than I expected, and I found this to be favorable (for me). Utilitarian.

09-25-2013 22:08:41 | More by Greywulfken
dv8sean

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Ok, maybe cans are ok. Jury is still out, but I'm open to the discussion.

Fondly recalled this beer from years ago when it was handed to me at the finish of a mountain bike race. Naturally, under the circumstances, it tasted real, real good. It's not widely available where I live, so was stoked to find a sixer.

Those good memories seem to be accurate, as this is a very pleasant American Pale Ale. A little maltier than most and not as aromatic, but pours well, tastes far better than average, and has a mighty fine feel on the palate.

Recommended without reservation or hesitation. Despite the packaging.

09-19-2013 03:14:43 | More by dv8sean
Qbdoo

4.16/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought a sixer a week ago and I keep re-rating this in an upward direction. A great balance of hops and malt. In fact, for a APA, this one seems to me to be a bit on the malty side, which is something I didn't expect but is growing on me. In a blind taste test, I'd probably label this an IPA. Compares well to Bell's Two-Hearted and Founders Centennial, two of my all-time favorites.

09-10-2013 00:29:16 | More by Qbdoo
Tone

Missouri

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of hops, pine, sweet malt, hint of alcohol, and a hint of caramel malt. Fits the style of an American Pale Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is also a noticeable bitterness. Tastes of sweet malt, hops, hint of pine, hint of caramel malt, and slight alcohol. Overall, decent aroma and body, a good APA.

09-09-2013 20:15:27 | More by Tone
ISmith87

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Never reviewed this one before but it's a favorite of many of my friends.

A – 4.5 – Pours a clear amber color with a finger of fine white bubbles on top. Decent lacing on the glass. Can is cool blue with red and white logo, I really like all the Oscar Blues cans.

S – 4.5 – Really clean floral, citrusy, piney hop aroma. Some malt in the background and god damn it smells good! Nice caramel malt smell.

T – 4.5 – Clean hop taste – citrus, pine, some citrus zest. Some caramel in the background.

M – 4.5 – Nice light mouth feel with the alcohol completely covered. Bitter aftertaste sticks for a while but it's a nice reminder that you just drank a Dale's.

O – 4.5 – Great beer, definitely one for anyone getting into craft beers to try. It's a great example of what a pale ale should be.

09-06-2013 01:34:40 | More by ISmith87
screamking

3.81/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can poured into pint glass.

Pours pure apricot with a thin off white head. Some nice orange and light lemon on the nose. Some slight bready malts coming in behind the citrus. Very citrusy for a pale ale, smells more like a IPA. Taste is on the lighter side, the citrus is faint but there. The bready malts seem stronger then I was expecting. The mouthfeel is soft and light, very very drinkable. For me, this sits just above the middle of the pack of craft pale ales. I would still take SNPA over this but not by a lot.

09-06-2013 00:28:28 | More by screamking
Premo88

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. can poured into pub glass
(canned on 7/15/13 printed on bottom)

L: amber-orange, clear, nice hea to start with that doesn't last overly long, sticks a bit, doesn't lace

S: hops ... green as mown grass; a slight bit of grain

T: hop salad ... all i taste is bitter hops with an occasional sweetness from the tropical fruit/mango taste

F: solid

O: honestly, about as average as you get with the American hop-salad crowd. i'm sure this brew was all that back in whatever year it came out in, but at 6.5% ABV,it's WAY TOO much for anything other than a couple cans to jack up your palate with all the hops and alcohol. and how does this escape the American IPA label, anyway?

it's just fine if you're looking for a good American IPA. bonus points to Oskar Blues for cooking up one of these that's crystal clear ... i mean, it's glass, man, and that's cool. but in the current craft brew scene here in America, I not only can't say anything about this brew that makes it stand out from the other coney brews, it's simply way too alcoholic for what it's supposed to be. if this is an "American pale ale," then start calling me "Mr. President"

08-27-2013 03:23:47 | More by Premo88
lancecenter

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

12 oz. can bought from the local HEB. Canned on 08/01/2013. Poured in to a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A - Pale copper color, two to three fingers of white head that dissipates quickly.

S - Tropical fruit, bubblegum, and a little bit of citrusy hops.

T/M - Somewhere between a pale ale and an IPA, which therein lies the problem. The alcohol content is a bit high for a session beer. The taste is just not there for a full flavored IPA. I'm having a hard time figuring out when I would choose this...

O - Not really my thing. But I'm a big fan of Ten FIDY, so I decided to give it a go.

08-25-2013 05:17:45 | More by lancecenter
jploving

South Carolina

3.59/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I first had this ole' jewel in 2005...or I think that was the year. It was the guest beer on tap at Breckinridge Brewery in Colorado. My good time friend and I had taken a trip to the GABF....God, that was fun...(sigh...)----but I did not contribute to Beeradvocate at that time...

Oskar Blues recently opened a brewery close to my home...Brevard, NC- and I saw on the can that it was brewed in Brevard....sweet!.
I do like this beer but to be straight up---it has a very average flavor----with the perfect accommodating body.
I have drank at least a half dozen beers with a similar flavor-big earthy, resin, piney with a touch of grapefruit citrus...
Body and mouth feel is great....but taste is pretty average...
If I were to learn that this was the first beer to achieve that flavor, I would give it a better rating for originality....like I say, I like it. But until I learn that fact, I will give it a 3.75...not a bad rating at all-but I expect more for$ 9.00 a 6 pack.

08-22-2013 00:33:37 | More by jploving
Mises85

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I was pretty excited to try this beer being in the top beers for the Better Beer Authority. Lets go over specifics:

Appearance: really nice amber color. Pliny the Elder color if you ask.
Smell: Biscuit Malt, Hops, Pine, one note citrus.
Taste: Alcohol, some citrus, slight grapefruit aftertaste.

For me, it could have been better. It is not a bad beer. The aftertaste was very one note for me. On the BBA scale I would rate it about a 6 but I think there are better beers in this style. I don't know whether this beer is trying to be an IPA or a pale ale. Bear Republic racer 5 is a much better example of the IPA style I think than Dales. If I had to have it again I would but it is not my favorite beer.

08-21-2013 01:32:48 | More by Mises85
rdilauro

Connecticut

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I am a big fan of Oskar Blue beers. I tasted this one from a variety pack. Honestly, there wasnt much of any distinct aroma/bouquet from this.

The taste was clean and crisp, which I always find positive. The mouthful was a little on the thin side as well as the aftertaste.

Nothing to find fault with this ale, just that it wasnt something that stands out with the various beers that I have tasted

08-19-2013 02:37:44 | More by rdilauro
TCMike

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Produced a 2 finger, off-white head. Left nice lacing. Beer color is medium honey/orange.

Aroma is of citrus, pine, bread.

Taste, was similar, but with a light sweetness. A pine bittnerness on the end, but appropriate for the style. Medium carbonation, and a low-medium mouth-feel.

Good APA. I'd buy it again if my other two faves aren't available.

08-12-2013 22:52:22 | More by TCMike
scotorum

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the 19.2 oz. can into a tulip glass.

a: A clear medium amber, inch and a half white head receded slowly, leaving considerably uneven lacing and a very thin surface foam film.

s: Mild pine.

t: Pine hops dominate, but do not linger too long through the finish, which is clean and dry.

m: Light to moderate due to the hops. Otherwise this might be accused of being a tad watery.

o. A fine summer brew. An all pine hop taste, I would personally prefer more malt flavor. Not as impressive as I had hoped given its popularity.

Certainly sessionable for the Charlotte area college crowd it may have originally been intended for. (The top of the can tells us this is "A Huge Voluminously Hopped Mutha of a Mountain Pale Ale." Along the side is "Cans Infinitely recyclable." And across the middle of the back: "Pack it in, pack it out." I rest my case.) And after putting back fifteen ounces and posting the above review, this is tasting REALLY good.

08-12-2013 03:24:29 | More by scotorum
curasowa

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Dark copper color with one finger of head

Aroma: Lots of piney hops over a caramel malt base

Taste: The hop bitterness hits hard and fast with this one, and is slightly resinous. Some nutty malt notes show up in the middle, but are pretty well swamped out on the finish, which is bitter, bordering on harsh. Finish is lingering with a mix of metallic and phenolic notes.

The Rest: Medium bodies, a nice hop assault on the tongue. Balance is a bit off; could use some more sweetness from the malt to balance the hops, but a solid beer all around.

08-06-2013 01:46:44 | More by curasowa
RaulMondesi

3.76/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Kind of like The Deer Hunter, Raul took his sweet ass time to try this one. And like said "classic film," it has its moments, is pretty solid down the line, but Raul ain't tripping. Don't get Raulsky wrong, he'd drink Dale's plenty of times over before he'd spend 3 1/2 hours with Al Pachino and the bunch again; but if said playa (Raul) had other, more fruitful options, he'd probably go with them first.

08-04-2013 21:34:18 | More by RaulMondesi