Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,838 | Hads: 6,749
4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a can (yep a can) into a pint glass. Upon pouring, this beer produces a nice one and a half fingers of thick, marshmallow cloud foam. A beautiful orange speckled with lots of tiny sediment makes this beauty sparkle. Truly a sight to behold. Crazy amounts of lace coat the glass in huge ridges. The head sticks around for a while; dimpling and begging to be gazed upon. The smell is all clean..pine and citrus..with bright floral hop notes. Mouthfeel is medium and just crisp enough. Taste is all pine sap and orange with a nice warm buttery glow on the tongue. Hops are all over the place and leave a great piney-hop aftertaste. I could pound these bad boys all night. Definitely a sleeper and for the price you'd be hard pressed to find anything this tasty. I can't say I noticed an aluminum or canned taste in the slightest. I'd easily recommend this to anyone as a great standout IPA. This brew is clearly in need of a review revisit by some who have been blinded by the can.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

Serving Type- 12oz Can (Haven't put that down in quite a while)

A- As I opened the can I kinda thought that pouring this beer outta a can might ruin the pour, but it did quite well. Nice foamy egg shell colored head that laced the glass nicely. Great crystal clear copper color.

S- Nice rich malts dominate this one right off the bat. I was kind of expecting some big hops, but I was glad that it wasn't a big hop monster. Getting some nice orange and caramel, and just a bit of American hops.

T- Great malty beer! Nice balance! Way better then I could have imagined! Rich caramel, Butternut squash, Orange peel, Grapefruits. Super balance of hops and malts.

M- Rich and creamy, medium carbonation, with a nice viscosity.

D- Now this is where I have a problem. l really like this beer and could see it becoming a regular rotation in my daily beer fridge, but the price isn't so nice. At $8.50 per 6 pack it is a bit pricey so I guess I'll just have to keep on brewing myself till i become as good as this beer is!

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

The deep orange color is darker than I would have expected. The aroma is subtle but complex, with a combination of caramel sweetness, earthy hop bitterness, and alcohol. The flavor is much more one-dimensional, with strong notes of pine and grapefruit, making the flavor bigger and bitterer than many pale ales. The bitterness builds, which can make it tough to drink more than a few at a time. Overall, flavorful and a great option among canned beers.

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rather than continue to offer the same information contained in every other reviews, I tend to review based on firstly, how much I enjoyed the beer, and secondly, the environment in which I enjoy the brew in question. That being said....

This Pale Ale has quite the kick, quite hoppy, smells of pine, etc. With that in mind, I prepped for quite the bite, and..got it. BUt in this instance, I really enjoy it. The bite is balanced and seems to "fit" perfectly.

Where I've enjoyed this beer the most is on a HOT HOT day, sitting around a fire, cooking foord and throwing a frisbee.

3.76/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good Pale Ale. If you can purchase Sierra Nevada instead of this I would recommend it. But if you're wanting to try something different go for it. Decent lacing, had it on tap at the Slowdown in Omaha, Nebraska.

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured a can into a pint glass

A: cloudy reddish orange
S: overly grapefruit floral hops.. not too much else
T: So... someone had described this beer to me as similar to Sierra Nevada APA but more hoppy.. and okay.. I could see what they meant but in all honesty.. not how I would describe this beer.. I didn't find this to be terrible but the hop taste was overly grapefruity and just sort of off-putting. Citric taste of the hops.. a tad bit overbearing. This is a tough call.. as I am on my second can.. Not sure how I feel about having another four to finish out my night.. skeptical. Way too biting.. almost astringent.
M: mouthfeel was nice, nothing wrong with the feel of this pale ale. But the taste of it is what's bringing me down...
D: Probably won't be getting this one again. Drinkable.. yeahh sure.. sort of. Not my cup of tea.. or beer.. uhmm.. yeah.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The first time I had this was at a local Bar called Olive's in Nyack, NY. It was suggested to me by the bartender and really impressed me. Now I go there often to get Dale's on tap.

Looks dark amber brown with about an inch cotton-colored head that laces all the way through.

Smells like an IPA. Hoppy with some pine notes and maybe a little citrus. But mostly this Pale Ale is just hoppy smelling. The smell is not complex, but simple and nice.

Tastes delicious. again, hoppy bitterness that finishes dry and lingers. Light on the alcohol taste but it's there. And the base of the Pale Ale is really just earthy - very pleasant!

Goes down well, but it's not a quick drink. It's perfect for nice gulps - not sips; although it is refreshing, you don't want to drink it too quickly - you gotta savor it.

Overall, Dale's is a winner. If you haven't tried it and your an IPA kind of person - dale's is not far from an IPA - you need to give it a try. It's definitely one of my favorite APA's (however, I wouldn't say it's too high up there).

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Had on-tap at Mellow Mushroom in Myrtle Beach. Honey colored with a finger of off-white head that reduced to a thin layer pretty quickly, but it stayed throughout the drink and had some lacing. Slightly piney, citrusy nose up front. Malty/bready notes were in there. Malt sweetness up front on the taste that gave way to a hop (piney/herbal) bitterness in the middle and citrus on the finish. Some bitterness lingered and it was semi-dry.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

All this goodness from a can?! A casual friend of mine who occasionally enjoys a beer or two, explained that cans in fact can be superior...their lining is much improved, no light filters in, and the seal is more reliable than a bottle cap. Still, it's in a damn can!!!

App -- Orange caramel color with slight haziness. Creamy though not especially thick head with good lacing (My notes originally said 'great lacing' but then I had a Pliny the Elder and learned what 'great' lacing really is!!

Nose -- Fresh hops with warm bread an butter. Some floral and fresh rain scents

Taste -- Semi-sweet, balanced fruit with just a hint of molasses and citrus and then builds into a mild burst of hoppy bitterness that slowly fades into a refreshingly sour finish

Feel -- Very nice, does a lot as it builds and then finishes, but does not exhaust the tongue nor finish too dry.

Dr -- Extremely so...not too sweet, not too dry, with loads of flavor and complexity

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my FW pint glass from the can. Instant beautiful white head about one finger high that recedes to good lacing around the glass and a thin white ring. Color is golden to a slight orange that you can see all the way through. Looks like a damn good APA or IPA (depending on how you consider your IPAs). Smells of fresh resinous and piney hops, not much in the way of citrus or anything of that sort. Some sweet malt and grainy barley characteristics also show through to balance the nose. Upfront is more bitterness than i had expected, this leads me to feel that this is more of an IPA then an APA as the hops seem to weight a bit more heavily in my mouth and in the after taste. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing and makes me immediately want another one. This beer is pretty drinkable and at 6.5 percent, i could probably go all night with them. I was impressed with this brew as i don't shoot to hard to get pale ales compared to the other available brews around.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a pint glass at Amsterdam

A: Pours a nice golden color, no real head to it, but that's probably just because of the way it was poured. There is some lacing

S: There are some very nice light smells in there, citrus, hops, and some caramel notes

T: There is a very nice light amount of hops with a little bitter in there. A little citrus zest

M: It has a light-medium mouthfeel that's a little crisp; it finishes with a nice medium body still

D: It nice and drinkable, it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice, but I still enjoyed it.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Canned on 8/18/11, consumed on 9/18/11.

A- Pours a clear dark golden orange with visible carbonation. One finger head recedes to a film leaving moderate lacing.

S- Citrus, grapefruit and orange rinds. Also very piney. Just a hint of some bready malt aromas.

T- Opens bitter, like a slap of pine needles to the face. That leads into strong citrus notes with grapefruit and orange rinds at the forefront. Finishes dry with just a light breadiness from the malt.

M- Oily, slick, slightly astringent . Medium mouthfeel with adequate carbonation. Hops scrub my tongue well and keep me coming back for more. Finish is slightly dry.

O- Love this beer. This particular batch seemed more hop forward and less balanced than I remember.

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can into a nonic pint. Canned on 5/30/2013.

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark gold with towering off-white head that takes several minutes to even begin dissipating. Fantastic delicate lacing that lasts throughout the session. (Some reviewers had little head or carbonation- not sure if the brewery or their soapy glass is to blame.)

Smell: Piney hops, honey, some bread. Hard to discern much else at this point.

Taste: Awesome. The balance between the toasty malt and the hops is delightful. The pine is still driving this truck, but some spicy hops are riding shotgun. Hops are not overpowering, thank goodness. Not getting any citrus, doggone it, but the balance makes up for it. I'm not tempted at all to call this an IPA. Again, classic pale ale profile of bready malt and hops. Possibly my fave new pale.

MouthfeeL: Smooth and creamy. Quite adequate for what it needs to do. Malt is helping to provide a 'fullness' to the beer.

Overall: Well rounded pale ale that provides a good balance of malt and hops. Can't understand why it's not rated higher than it is. This is definitely a pale ale to seek out in my book.

3.32/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I was pretty excited to try this beer being in the top beers for the Better Beer Authority. Lets go over specifics:

Appearance: really nice amber color. Pliny the Elder color if you ask.
Smell: Biscuit Malt, Hops, Pine, one note citrus.
Taste: Alcohol, some citrus, slight grapefruit aftertaste.

For me, it could have been better. It is not a bad beer. The aftertaste was very one note for me. On the BBA scale I would rate it about a 6 but I think there are better beers in this style. I don't know whether this beer is trying to be an IPA or a pale ale. Bear Republic racer 5 is a much better example of the IPA style I think than Dales. If I had to have it again I would but it is not my favorite beer.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance: Orangey brown in color. Moderate head with a decent lacing.

Smell: Smells like beer. No overpowering distinctive tones. Slight hop aroma.

Taste: Light on the flavor side. Slight hops come in on the back end, but fist sip is kinda mellow.

Mouthfell: Medium mouthfeel. Not heavy but not light. Very smooth however and not a lot of carbonation.

Drinkabilty: Very easy to drink-but cannot see myself having more than one or two in a row.

Overall a decent beer-kinda cool its in a can-but have had better in a can.

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass

A. Nice dark copper color with a finger or two of head that continued lacing the glass throughout the life of the beer.

S. Citrusy & Piney Hops up front with a little sweet/toasty malt coming through.

T. Wow, a lot of hops for an APA styled beer, almost a hybrid APA/IPA. Clean tasting and refreshing - not too heavily flavored, just enough to wake up the taste buds.

M. Very viscous/resiny, really feel the amount of hops in this baby. Medium-heavy bodied for the style, moderate carbination.

D. Goes down crisp and clean, a very enjoyable Ale. Intersting flavors, but none are overpowering. A very good Ale

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

What a great Pale Ale! Pours clear orangey-copper. Aroma is fruity with hops standing out. Moderate to high carbonation. Medium bodied with nice hop vs. malt balance. Easy drinking and great flavor. This is one of my favorited American Pale Ales, that is always stocked in my fridge, and I am very discriminating when it comes to fridge space. I Love cans!!

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

A-The beer pours a hazy copper color with an off white cap of foam.

S-There was little aroma in my sample. You could smell citrus in addition to a vegetable/tobacco aroma. The citrus was a grapefruit like smell that was the majority of the fragrance.

T-There is a malt sweetness initially that is backed up by the hop bitterness. There is also a chalky flavor that accompanied the bitterness.

M-The carbonation was low to medium as was the body.

O-Dale's Pale ale was not a bad beer. My sample could have been younger but overall the beer was a flavorful session pale ale that had a sweet front that was backed by a solid but balanced bitterness.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle or can? I've always liked canned beer, the likes of Boddington's, Guinness and John Smith's makes a good impression on can when not available on tap. Articles like the one in BA Mag helps too, I think.

Well let's get started. This isn't a can such as the beers named above comes in, but a rather standard one. Perhaps the aluminium is a bit thinner than normal - any thought behind this?

It pours a yellowish, hazy amber. The foam gives in quite quickly, some lacing.

Rich smell, due to the combination of floral hops and sweet/caramel malt.

Taste is first dominated by sweetness, but quickly balanced out by the hop bitterness, which grows and grows as the beer stays in the mouth. This bitterness is accompanied by a floral... not taste, but lovely feel.

Overall mouthfeel is that it is a bit thick, perhaps because the carboration is on the light side.

More, please! (Lucky I have half a box left)

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

This is one of the only brews I've seen and had I tap that's is mainly distributed by can.

pours hazey clear orange with slight lacing throughout the glass.

the smell is a complex mix of hops.

However the tatse is amazing. For a pale ale the taste is really un matched and certainly this stands as king of caned pale ales. Rush of hops with a clean finish leaving purley hop tatse on the pallet.

I highly recommend this ale for any occasion.

All american pale ale. Not much else to say other then if you don't like it at first, give it a second chance. If you still don't like it after that .. Clearly your taste buds can't handle the bitter bomb.

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%

I was so excited when I saw a 12 pack of Dale's in my local beer store.

Having a beer from a can is such a novelty these days. As soon as I pour Dale's into my pint glass, I can smell a nice citrus aroma. The beer is a little cloudy and the color is light copper. The head is decent at first but soon disappears all together. It’s not extremely carbonated but certainly not flat.

Man..this beer is very hoppy. They ain’t kidding when they say “ a huge voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale”

I believe I would call this beer delicious. An excellent pale ale. I could drink a lot of these.

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Had to try, great packaging and a very good beer indeed. previous reviewer is pretty accurate, minimal to no head. Carbonation is light which equates to an extremely drinkable can beer (like say yoo hoo). I drank out of the can and then poured into a glass. Definitely an American IPA by anyone's standards. How many 6.5% pale ales are there? Definite floral hops and a fairley dry finish althjough enough of malt back up. I thought I found my new summer pool beer until I saw the abv.

Appearance is somewhat hazy with a light copper coler. Head was slightly off-white and maintained a good consistency while drinking, some lacing on glass. Taste is best described as bitter,somewhat hoppy, but once inside the mouth it goes down smooth creating a good mouthfeel You can smell the hops,adding to your drinking pleasure. Very surprized how good this was considering it came out of a can. Will look forward to drinking this again and would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys an American Pale Ale.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Ohh man goot olde dale's pale.. I recently just had this stuff bout a week ago. My friends store just got all there type of beers shipped in and was draw too the can and 9 dollars a six pack price.

Overall a great beer... I was usualy drinking this out of the can but I got to pour one into a cup, and man was it looking good. Id say it looks bout the same as a dogfishhead 90 min.

The smell was alot smiliar to the dogfish , but didnt burn ur nose with the overall hoppy smell.

Now the taste is were its at, Id say by far probably one of my more favorite pale ale's out there if not the one. Very hoppy and very goot smooth taste.

Drinkability is pretty standerd ,, You just got to think of money first though, so a six pack is always good for the taste.

Had a blast with this stuff , so feel free so pick some up if your feeling goot!

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew