Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,850 | Hads: 6,817
4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Really smooth for the ABV and for being a pale ale. Nice head when poured can to glass. Taste resides in the front of the mouth, moving to middle and upper palate on swallow. Aftertaste minimal, little lingering. Head seems to diminish quickly. Clean taste. Sessionable. Would buy again. Pairs well with a tobacco vape blend like Axiom's Honeysuckle Tobacco.

2.89/5  rDev -26.5%

12 oz can poured into ergonomic pint glass.

A: Looks nice! Good copper/bronze color, nice thick head.

S: Just caught a nose full of pine. Maybe a bit a fruit in there, but hops/pine smell dominated my pour.

T: I am not a hop-head in general, so I was a bit worried here. Certainly a very bold taste, but just not what I like in a beer. Hops hit hard up front and bitter citrus (grapefruit?) taste lingered long afterwards. Others in my drinking party whose tastes leaned more towards the IPA end of the beer spectrum seemed to enjoy it.

M: Good carbonation, but the persistent astringent finish struck me as unpleasant.

D: Not one I'd look to drink in multiplicity, but I'll attribute that more to my palate than to the beer itself.

A tremendous amount of character from a can. I know it is a respectable APA... it just isn't a style that I like in general. That being said, if these same guys come up with a stout, I'll absolutely give it a try.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

Dale's Pale Ale is a great brew and a perfect pairing to the can it's packaged in.
If Guinness had a hoppy American brother that was equally sophisticated but more utilitarian, it would be this one.
The beer pours to a deep amber and the head is like a cloud of creamy milkshakes. Mouthfeel is awesome. On first taste this beer is not near what it becomes after a little time in the glass.
This may be a new favorite. Let's just say Sierra Nevada should pay close attention to DPA.

3.37/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

After four years and over a hundred beer tried, we expanded the man cave to add a two tap system. Dales was picked . Poured deep yellow, with small head. Fair lacing floral and pine notes, with a citrus finish. Full flavored pale ale.

Bought in a sixtel served at 38 degrees received a 11 out of 20 in our beer club. I gave it a 14 myself.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

This is the best beer I've ever had out of a can.

Granted, not a lot of micros in cans in my neck of the woods (and I have a Surly Bender in the 'fridge that may soon kick Dale from top spot). But! many thanks to MeisterBurger in my virgin trade for this one.

Terrible packaging - looks like an adjunct lager at first glance. Never would have given it a second thought. But guess what? It's a very hoppy pale ale that verges on IPA territory. Darkish orange amber in the glass, good head with some lacing and retention. Strong citrus hops flavour with some floral notes and a nice bitter finish, all balanced by solid toffee malts. Reminds me of Lagunitas New Dogtown but slightly less citrusy. Active, oily mouthfeel, very refreshing and flavourful. I could drink a lot of these -- too bad they're not available in Alberta. Just what the doctor ordered!

3.71/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from can into tulip glass.

A: Pours a transparent amber with 1/2 finger head.

S: Green Olives, Citrus Fruits.

T: Malty backbone. Citrus and piney hops finish. Smooth finish.

M: Good carbonation. Medium bodied.

O: Honestly I'd rather have SNPA over this. It's more malt forward for my liking. Not knocking it just not my cup of tea.

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Light amber color, clear with minimal head. Very nice hoppy aroma, some malt in the nose as well. This brew has a very balanced flavor profile but it has a generous amount of hop bitterness and some nice piney notes as it warms. Mouthfeel is spot on, this beer is refreshing but its just thick enough to keep you drinking it. Overall this was a very tasty pale ale that was hard to put down. I finished it pretty quick and I think I will crack another.

3.26/5  rDev -17%

First canned beer I've had in ages... wouldn't have bought it, but the owner of the Vintage Cellar (Radford, VA, store) told me that as a hop-head, he highly recommended this brew. Turns out it's canned because aluminum is better than glass for hiking (for obvious reasons). Those wacky Coloradoans.

Backstory aside, this beer is only so-so in my book. Definitely a strong hop flavor from front to back, but that's about all I taste aside from a vague sugariness. Not what I'd called a "balanced" beer, but the hops aren't overwhelming. The brownish-amber color is gorgeous, although the off-white head didn't last very long. I guess it's the hop varietal, but even if you hadn't told me where this beer was brewed, I would have said west of the Mississippi.

Basically, if I were going camping, I'd bring this along by the six pack, but I probably wouldn't buy it any other time. Might be a good beer to take along to a party where lots of swill will be consumed (assuming you don't want to stand out too much). Maybe I will buy some to take to the family fourth of July this weekend... nah, they already know I'm a snob =)

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Alright I am not gonna lie I was a bit skeptical going in a craft beer from a can?!?!?! But it is damn good.

Alright appearance to me was not all that impressive. It is a bit darker then most pale ales i have drank with a coppery color to it. It also has a decent head and some decent lacing but nothing spectacular.

The smell is great. If I had this beer a year ago I would have hated it because of hoppy it smells it smells like an IPA to me. Its amazing to see how my palate and nose has changed over the last year. The smell is extremly hoppy to me and to me the hop presence is soo overpowering its all i really get out of the smell of this beer.

Now the taste of this beer is great after getting such a huge hop presence out of the nose I was expecting a major hopbomb is the taste but boy was I wrong. The taste of this beer is amazing a great citrus hop tasted backed up by an amazing malt presence that really balances this beer out.

This beer has a great monthfeel to it and with good carbonation.

I usally don't find really hoppy beers all the drinkable but this is thanks to the amazing malt presence that makes it such a great pale ale.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It poured a clear golden orange with a good amount of bubbles and a head which dissipated fairly quickly.

Nose was malty, apricot, and herbaceous (perhaps a bit of rosemary).

Mouthfeel was light, slightly creamy, with a full taste that filled the whole mouth for a few seconds, cycling through the same flavors as the nose and ending with a long, bitter finish.

I wish it did not go flat in the glass as quickly as it did since it has a complex enough taste to linger over.

Ultimately I liked this beer and would consider getting it again when looking for a pale ale.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

With a pretty hard pour I got a good 2 inch head that slowly sank into a craggy pile of fluff which gave off a sappy hop aroma that was very pleasant. Piney scent is up front with very little malt presence in nose. At first the flavor shows that the nose promised, but where I usually expect a pale ale to either give me more hop flavor or open up for some complexity, the flavor just gives way to a watery finish. Its not bad, just not terribly satisfying. The mouthfeel is good for the style, and its certainly drinkable, but I wish there was a little more to it. I am left waiting for the punch.

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a can (yep a can) into a pint glass. Upon pouring, this beer produces a nice one and a half fingers of thick, marshmallow cloud foam. A beautiful orange speckled with lots of tiny sediment makes this beauty sparkle. Truly a sight to behold. Crazy amounts of lace coat the glass in huge ridges. The head sticks around for a while; dimpling and begging to be gazed upon. The smell is all clean..pine and citrus..with bright floral hop notes. Mouthfeel is medium and just crisp enough. Taste is all pine sap and orange with a nice warm buttery glow on the tongue. Hops are all over the place and leave a great piney-hop aftertaste. I could pound these bad boys all night. Definitely a sleeper and for the price you'd be hard pressed to find anything this tasty. I can't say I noticed an aluminum or canned taste in the slightest. I'd easily recommend this to anyone as a great standout IPA. This brew is clearly in need of a review revisit by some who have been blinded by the can.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

Serving Type- 12oz Can (Haven't put that down in quite a while)

A- As I opened the can I kinda thought that pouring this beer outta a can might ruin the pour, but it did quite well. Nice foamy egg shell colored head that laced the glass nicely. Great crystal clear copper color.

S- Nice rich malts dominate this one right off the bat. I was kind of expecting some big hops, but I was glad that it wasn't a big hop monster. Getting some nice orange and caramel, and just a bit of American hops.

T- Great malty beer! Nice balance! Way better then I could have imagined! Rich caramel, Butternut squash, Orange peel, Grapefruits. Super balance of hops and malts.

M- Rich and creamy, medium carbonation, with a nice viscosity.

D- Now this is where I have a problem. l really like this beer and could see it becoming a regular rotation in my daily beer fridge, but the price isn't so nice. At $8.50 per 6 pack it is a bit pricey so I guess I'll just have to keep on brewing myself till i become as good as this beer is!

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

The deep orange color is darker than I would have expected. The aroma is subtle but complex, with a combination of caramel sweetness, earthy hop bitterness, and alcohol. The flavor is much more one-dimensional, with strong notes of pine and grapefruit, making the flavor bigger and bitterer than many pale ales. The bitterness builds, which can make it tough to drink more than a few at a time. Overall, flavorful and a great option among canned beers.

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rather than continue to offer the same information contained in every other reviews, I tend to review based on firstly, how much I enjoyed the beer, and secondly, the environment in which I enjoy the brew in question. That being said....

This Pale Ale has quite the kick, quite hoppy, smells of pine, etc. With that in mind, I prepped for quite the bite, and..got it. BUt in this instance, I really enjoy it. The bite is balanced and seems to "fit" perfectly.

Where I've enjoyed this beer the most is on a HOT HOT day, sitting around a fire, cooking foord and throwing a frisbee.

3.76/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good Pale Ale. If you can purchase Sierra Nevada instead of this I would recommend it. But if you're wanting to try something different go for it. Decent lacing, had it on tap at the Slowdown in Omaha, Nebraska.

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured a can into a pint glass

A: cloudy reddish orange
S: overly grapefruit floral hops.. not too much else
T: So... someone had described this beer to me as similar to Sierra Nevada APA but more hoppy.. and okay.. I could see what they meant but in all honesty.. not how I would describe this beer.. I didn't find this to be terrible but the hop taste was overly grapefruity and just sort of off-putting. Citric taste of the hops.. a tad bit overbearing. This is a tough call.. as I am on my second can.. Not sure how I feel about having another four to finish out my night.. skeptical. Way too biting.. almost astringent.
M: mouthfeel was nice, nothing wrong with the feel of this pale ale. But the taste of it is what's bringing me down...
D: Probably won't be getting this one again. Drinkable.. yeahh sure.. sort of. Not my cup of tea.. or beer.. uhmm.. yeah.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The first time I had this was at a local Bar called Olive's in Nyack, NY. It was suggested to me by the bartender and really impressed me. Now I go there often to get Dale's on tap.

Looks dark amber brown with about an inch cotton-colored head that laces all the way through.

Smells like an IPA. Hoppy with some pine notes and maybe a little citrus. But mostly this Pale Ale is just hoppy smelling. The smell is not complex, but simple and nice.

Tastes delicious. again, hoppy bitterness that finishes dry and lingers. Light on the alcohol taste but it's there. And the base of the Pale Ale is really just earthy - very pleasant!

Goes down well, but it's not a quick drink. It's perfect for nice gulps - not sips; although it is refreshing, you don't want to drink it too quickly - you gotta savor it.

Overall, Dale's is a winner. If you haven't tried it and your an IPA kind of person - dale's is not far from an IPA - you need to give it a try. It's definitely one of my favorite APA's (however, I wouldn't say it's too high up there).

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Had on-tap at Mellow Mushroom in Myrtle Beach. Honey colored with a finger of off-white head that reduced to a thin layer pretty quickly, but it stayed throughout the drink and had some lacing. Slightly piney, citrusy nose up front. Malty/bready notes were in there. Malt sweetness up front on the taste that gave way to a hop (piney/herbal) bitterness in the middle and citrus on the finish. Some bitterness lingered and it was semi-dry.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

All this goodness from a can?! A casual friend of mine who occasionally enjoys a beer or two, explained that cans in fact can be superior...their lining is much improved, no light filters in, and the seal is more reliable than a bottle cap. Still, it's in a damn can!!!

App -- Orange caramel color with slight haziness. Creamy though not especially thick head with good lacing (My notes originally said 'great lacing' but then I had a Pliny the Elder and learned what 'great' lacing really is!!

Nose -- Fresh hops with warm bread an butter. Some floral and fresh rain scents

Taste -- Semi-sweet, balanced fruit with just a hint of molasses and citrus and then builds into a mild burst of hoppy bitterness that slowly fades into a refreshingly sour finish

Feel -- Very nice, does a lot as it builds and then finishes, but does not exhaust the tongue nor finish too dry.

Dr -- Extremely so...not too sweet, not too dry, with loads of flavor and complexity

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my FW pint glass from the can. Instant beautiful white head about one finger high that recedes to good lacing around the glass and a thin white ring. Color is golden to a slight orange that you can see all the way through. Looks like a damn good APA or IPA (depending on how you consider your IPAs). Smells of fresh resinous and piney hops, not much in the way of citrus or anything of that sort. Some sweet malt and grainy barley characteristics also show through to balance the nose. Upfront is more bitterness than i had expected, this leads me to feel that this is more of an IPA then an APA as the hops seem to weight a bit more heavily in my mouth and in the after taste. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing and makes me immediately want another one. This beer is pretty drinkable and at 6.5 percent, i could probably go all night with them. I was impressed with this brew as i don't shoot to hard to get pale ales compared to the other available brews around.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a pint glass at Amsterdam

A: Pours a nice golden color, no real head to it, but that's probably just because of the way it was poured. There is some lacing

S: There are some very nice light smells in there, citrus, hops, and some caramel notes

T: There is a very nice light amount of hops with a little bitter in there. A little citrus zest

M: It has a light-medium mouthfeel that's a little crisp; it finishes with a nice medium body still

D: It nice and drinkable, it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice, but I still enjoyed it.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Canned on 8/18/11, consumed on 9/18/11.

A- Pours a clear dark golden orange with visible carbonation. One finger head recedes to a film leaving moderate lacing.

S- Citrus, grapefruit and orange rinds. Also very piney. Just a hint of some bready malt aromas.

T- Opens bitter, like a slap of pine needles to the face. That leads into strong citrus notes with grapefruit and orange rinds at the forefront. Finishes dry with just a light breadiness from the malt.

M- Oily, slick, slightly astringent . Medium mouthfeel with adequate carbonation. Hops scrub my tongue well and keep me coming back for more. Finish is slightly dry.

O- Love this beer. This particular batch seemed more hop forward and less balanced than I remember.

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can into a nonic pint. Canned on 5/30/2013.

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark gold with towering off-white head that takes several minutes to even begin dissipating. Fantastic delicate lacing that lasts throughout the session. (Some reviewers had little head or carbonation- not sure if the brewery or their soapy glass is to blame.)

Smell: Piney hops, honey, some bread. Hard to discern much else at this point.

Taste: Awesome. The balance between the toasty malt and the hops is delightful. The pine is still driving this truck, but some spicy hops are riding shotgun. Hops are not overpowering, thank goodness. Not getting any citrus, doggone it, but the balance makes up for it. I'm not tempted at all to call this an IPA. Again, classic pale ale profile of bready malt and hops. Possibly my fave new pale.

MouthfeeL: Smooth and creamy. Quite adequate for what it needs to do. Malt is helping to provide a 'fullness' to the beer.

Overall: Well rounded pale ale that provides a good balance of malt and hops. Can't understand why it's not rated higher than it is. This is definitely a pale ale to seek out in my book.

3.32/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I was pretty excited to try this beer being in the top beers for the Better Beer Authority. Lets go over specifics:

Appearance: really nice amber color. Pliny the Elder color if you ask.
Smell: Biscuit Malt, Hops, Pine, one note citrus.
Taste: Alcohol, some citrus, slight grapefruit aftertaste.

For me, it could have been better. It is not a bad beer. The aftertaste was very one note for me. On the BBA scale I would rate it about a 6 but I think there are better beers in this style. I don't know whether this beer is trying to be an IPA or a pale ale. Bear Republic racer 5 is a much better example of the IPA style I think than Dales. If I had to have it again I would but it is not my favorite beer.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew