Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,891 | Ratings: 7,054
3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

Dale's Pale Ale in a can. Fun to drink a "good" beer from a can, but (and I don't care what anyone else says) cans taste different than bottles to me. Anyhow...

A: Pours a slightly hazy goden color with little head. Low retention, but decsent lacing.

S: Initial floral aroma and a bit of sweetness spice. Aromas disappear very quickly though.

T: Initially sweet and well hopped. Good bitterness that comes through as spicy. Becomes sticky sweet as the beer warms. Sweetness become more than I tend to like.

M&D: Descent mouthfeel. The sweetness translates into a heavier mourthfeel towards the end. Well (maybe overly) carbonated. Sweetness kills drinkability for me.

Overall, a descent beer. Having "good" beer in a can (which is unusual in my parts" makes this a good choice when bottles are out of the quetsion.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

12 oz. can bought at Shawan Liquors

Pours a cloudy shade of amber, with about two fingers of rocky tannish head sitting on top. As the head gradually dies down, generous lacing is left behind.

Piney and citrusy hops pop out on the aroma, a vague sweetness is also apparent in the background.

A grassy, floral hop character pulls through upfront, and is then rounded out by a more citrusy flavor. The malt backbone makes its presence known midway, though the finish tends to be dominated more by a hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is solid; medium-bodied with a subtle yet sufficient level of carbonation.

Dale's Pale Ale is very drinkable with an assertive hop character; this is definitely a good pale ale to have around, even though it can be somewhat pricier than other pale ales that I would consider to be of more or less comparable quality. At any rate, this is a good option when I want to switch things up.

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Amber color with an opacity, head this cream colored that dissipates quickly.

S: Mostly malt with a mild hop overtone

T: Nice mix of hops and barely malt.

M: Mild "thickness" over the mid-palate that lingers nicely.

O: Good example of an APA, no complaints

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

Had this beer in Oskar Blues 12 oz can pour into a pink glass

Appearance: A hazy copper orange color.

Smell: Nice Evergreen, citrus, malt notes

Taste: Nice malt character followed by a charge of evergreen, citrus bitter hoppy flavor.

Mouthfeel: Good bubbly carbonation, and oily hop mouthfeel

Drinkability: Very solid and drinkable APA. Nice that it comes in cans. Certainly a nice beer for tailgating at a baseball game

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

Can

A - Copper color with light tan head.

S - All hops - citrus hops, grapefruit, pine, grass.

T - Strong hops and light malt. Finish with grapefruit, hop flavor.

O/ M - Great IPA. Light to med mouthfeel. Aroma and flavor balance well. Nice bitterness.

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

This brew was interesting to me... It poured a nice amber/carmelized sugar color with a thick white head receeding to a thin line and somewhat sticky lacing. The interesting part is there was virtually no aroma to speak of. Maybe an ever so slight malty sweet smell. The flavor was a nice balance of malts and hops with a light floral note on the finish. A borderline amber ale. Medium bodied and smooth makes it a very drinkable brew.

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

A- It's very hazy and the head doesn't look very healthy. I don't want to judge a book by it's cover.

S- Mild hoppy aroma. It's mild but very pleasant.

T- Wonderful taste, makes up for the look. Big bitterness and wonderful maltiness to balance it out.

M- Medium thickness with a nice carbonation to it.

O- It works out to be just an average beer with some wonderful things and some not so good qualities.

3.73/5  rDev -5.1%

Had on tap at a local bar.

Appearance- Pours a dark gold/light brown with a one-finger off white head.

Smell- I mostly got citrus-y hops that really smell of grapefruit.

Taste- Grapefruit flavor for sure; tart citrus-y hop flavors. Light and refreshing with a bitter hoppy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Had a medium body with a fair amount of carbonation; refreshing.

Overall- A good beer. I usually don't go for IPAs but this one was a pleasant surprise.

4.14/5  rDev +5.3%

Just poured into a Weizenbier glass. The head on this pour has a really nice appearance and presentation. The dual color pour, with a light amber fighting off the white head trying to form. Head retention is very good and masculine. Good strength in head, wont go away, really well done there. Sticky lacing and a very good hop scent that very specific to this beer. I can see why this beer lives up to the life style it was produced for. Taste, for a lack of superlatives very excellent. Nose to glass, i get an abundance of sweet hop and bitterness following. These will be with me on camping trips and mountain biking trails. 6.5% occurring here makes a difference from the standard 5.3%. Buzz comes comes on a lot faster. Drinkable, portable, and outstanding.

Great beer!

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

Dale's Pale Ale: a beery exercise in rhyming.

I bought this 6 pack at Frontier Saloon, and I'm certain that it's fresh.

Pours amber-gold with good carbonation, a 1 finger head and moderate lacing. Sometimes I find that these smaller micros have difficulty in getting the carbonation right in the can, but this can turned out fine, even though the hiss when I opened the can wasn't very audible.

Smell is of Pacific NW hops: maybe cascade, maybe some Amarillo. Not much malt coming through in the nose.

Flavor is full, with the malt coming through alongside the appropriate hoppiness. A slight husky-graininess makes itself known in the finish, and it's not very appealing, but it doesn't detract too much.

Mouthfeel is thick and quite cloying for a pale.

I could definitely drink a whole sixer of this at once, but my palate would be in ruins for a while afterwards. Overall, it's a nice pale ale, and you can do a whole lot worse. The novelty of canned craft beer won't wear off soon either.

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Citrusy esters and floral hop aromas of tangerine and orange rise from a medium-light brown beer with orange highlights. The head doesn’t last but leaves a thin, clean froth of bubbles, some lacing and patches of foam sticking to the glass. Very clean, smooth malt flavors in the mouth, but the focus here is clearly the explosion of hop taste and bitterness. A dry beer with an emphasis on humulus lupulus, Dale’s Pale is quite drinkable and enjoyable for all, especially hopheads. I must comment once more about how much I like the canning movement. Environmentally sound and economically sound I imagine, I hope more craft brewers get on this and produce more killer beers in cans. It’s part of beer advocacy. Show the world just how misguided the popular conception of this very refined beverage is.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

12oz can poured into a standard pint glass. It's pretty cool to see some breweries kciking back to the cans. I dig.

This pale pours a golden amber color and develops a nice one inch creamy head. It dissipates quickly but leaves a nice foam ring around the edges of the glass. Aroma is bready and hoppy, kind of enticing. The taste is much of the same only the hops take a much more prominent role. There is a slight metallic aftertaste which I presume is from the can. The mouthfeel is good with very light carbonation which makes me think this beer would go down very easily on a hot summer day.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent APA in a can. Nice copper color and hop aroma, though not as floral and citrusy as the more extreme hoppy beers. A solid offering by all accounts though, with a nice balance of hoppy citrus and pine. Bonus points for using updated can technology to enhance freshness and portability. I have purchased a case and a half of this stuff because it flies off the shelves at my local store. Noticed some consistency variations between canned batches, but very minor, and this is to be expected with craft brews I suppose. One 12 pack was a bit smokier than the other, but nothing damning. Though Dale's is good in the can, I have to say it is much better on tap to my taste buds. I want to try the Gordon IPA next.

3.73/5  rDev -5.1%

iv'e been on a pale ale kick lately, and this is the first time iv'e tried dale's. it's really good, but i don't know if it 10.99/6pk good... beer geeks love this stuff, is it cause for a pale ale it'll kick your ass? is this an imperial PA? is it an esb? whatever, the nose is not super amazing, but the balance is. what makes this not an ipa is, how quickly the malts roll under the hops when you take a sip. the buttery malt swirls with the hops in your mouth just right. it's hard to get such a nice balance at 6.5. this is a well thought out pale ale. if you ask me, i'd call this an esb.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

I was very excited to give the spirit go, should've realized that my excitement stemmed from the recommendations of my west coast hophead friends! This is a good beer, but not my cup of tea. If I had to choose between this and a Sierra Nevada pale ale, Sierra Nevada! In fact, lately, I am a fan of Chesapeake pale ale from Alewerks!

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

A - POURED A SOLID RED - COPPER COLOR WITH A NICE HEAD THAT STUCK AROUND A BIT.

S - SOLID FLORAL HOPS SMELL!

T - GREAT FROM START TO FINISH DEFINATELY DOES NOT DISSAPOINT. A REAL NICE APA THAT IS NOT TOO BITTER. JUST AN OVERALL GOOD BEER!

M - A TAD BITTER AND FAIRLY LIGHT FOR AN APA. BUT THE TASTE JUST MAKES THIS BEER WONDERFUL!

D - JUST A NICE BEER THAT I KNOW I WILL FIND MYSELF DRINKING A LOT OF.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

had this on tap at the 45th Street Tap House in Ocean City, MD. my favorite on-tap beer. if you like IPAs, APAs, or even pale ales, please try this

color is amber to deep amber

head is very good, stacks up and laces down

smell is mostly hops, piney and citrus, but balances at the end of a long draw

taste is a hops assault. hammers you. leans towards the citrus side, but also pine and resin hints

texture is nice, it's carbonated very well and feels full in your mouth

overall, if you are are hop head, this is for you. try it!

3.09/5  rDev -21.4%

Very mediocre and unremarkable. Bitterness/astringency mask the little flavor there is here. It's not particularly bad but I can't see any reason to get this again. There are dozens of better beers at any decent liquor store, including their Pinner IPA.

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%

This is the first time I've tried Dale's, and I like it. I haven't tried a better canned beer, and I've tried many bottled beers that are far less accomplished.

This is one great-looking pale ale - if you've got a glass, pour this one because it's a looker. Ample and persistent white head laces the glass nicely, perched atop an enticing hazy orange-tinged gold brew with plenty of bubbles scudding up the side.

Nose is dominated by ample citrus hopiness backed up by sweet malt, although at first sniff I smelled something odd that I couldn't place. Nevermind, though, because I didn't notice whatever-it-was again, and found the pungent hop aroma intoxicating. I think it would be nice to soak all of my clothes in this so that I could smell it all day, every day.

Taste is intensely hoppy, no surprise here. Hops lean a bit more towards the citrus than the pine. Greater-than-expected malt sweetness put me off a little at first, but I soon appreciated the balance it imparts on this extra-hoppy brew. Mouthfeel is just a little sticky and serves this brew well, drinkability is let down only slightly by the high-for-a-pale-ale 6.5% abv.

Overall I'd say that for camping or other outdoor activities there's no contest - this is number one. Its a frontrunner in other contexts too. My only hang-up is that the grocery store wanted 10$ for a sixer. Knock off two or three bucks, and this might just be my pale ale of choice (I'd have to reserve judgement on that until I try this back to back with Stone Pale).

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%

A pour from a 12-ounce can produces a nice, smooth copper color with a thin quarter inch layer of head. The smell is striking; lots of floral hops and graininess. As is well established by now, no hint of metallic smell/taste. I used to be skeptical towards this but over time basically believed that canned beer was no different than bottled beer, mostly due to several quality breweries turning to cans. However, this was my first experience with a canned beer, and I can verify that there is no difference in taste in a canned beer. I've had Dale's Pale Ale before on tap and the taste from the can is comparable, factoring in the usual differences between draught and bottle/can.

Dale's Pale Ale is a very hoppy pale ale, but I think the hops are more integrated into the beer than SNPA. There is a malty sweetness and aftertaste as the beer finishes pretty dry. This is my favorite APA that I've tried to date. At 6.5%, the ABV is a little high for a session beer, but I could easily drink a bunch of these. Mine was gone in fifteen minutes and I'm regretting that I didn't get any more (only picked up one in a mix-six pack).

Highly, highly recommended.

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%

Appearance - A nice clear golden color with a hint of amber. One finger head. Moderate carbonation.

Aroma - Slight hop characteristics but the sweet, bready malt really dominates. Not a huge aroma.

Taste - Starts off big on the malt bready malt flavors. Really smooth and light mouth feel. The bitterness kicks in mid tongue and the hops kick in even more at the end along with the alcohol. It lingers around with some hop bitterness and a touch cereal maltiness.

It's scary that a beer at 6.5% is this smooth, refreshing and sessionable.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Rich gold body with a fingers worth of white head.

S- Grapefruit and pine are dominant smells here.

T - Biscuit malts start off, quickly followed by citrus hops, more of a grapefruit has the nose suggests. Has an almost buttery taste to it, then finishes with piney hops.

M - Pretty good, carbonation was moderate and felt relatively light given it's abv.

O - A good pale ale, not the best one out there but it gets the job done and compares pretty well to most.

3.85/5  rDev -2%

A: Pours a burnt orange color or a dark honey yellow. Some of the hops are evident in the head as the bubbles appear, but it does not appear to be overly carbonated. Its cloudy in its appearance.

S: Smell of some toasted malts are apparent, as well as some alcohol on the first sniff. Smells a bit hoppy for a normal ale.

T: Very hoppy on the first sip, reminds me in the likes of a sam adams. A bitter taste of front and a smooth finish.

M: Medium Body and hoppy as it tasted before. *EDIT* changed to 4 from 3.5 after second brew.

O: Its a good brew, and its not too pricey. But for the price that its at, I think I might go for a sam adams instead.

*EDIT* Having another one of these tonight straight from the can. Something about the can helps this beer out. Maybe its the suprise factor, or its still familiar. I like it better from the can rather than the pouring, but still agree with the rest.

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from can into pint glass.

Dark orange/brown. Decent carbonation. 1-inch, quickly dissipating head, but lacing strong on glass.

Rich hop smell, spice and floral.

Strong floral hop, spice, and perhaps some honey and orange? Strong hop presence, but balanced well with malts. Only a hint at the slightly higher ABV. Nice bitter hops stay for the aftertaste.

Mildly sticky. Medium-strong body. Somewhat sessionable.

I've had this many times before. Great beer.

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

No freshness date. Can I sampled was several months old at least. Pours a nice one finger creamy whitehead. Slowly shrinks leaving lacing. Color is slightly cloudy orange/copper.

Smell is all citrus and floral hops. Taste is nearly all hops (although restrained), with a hint of sweet malt peaking through. Slightly astringency at the very end. Leaves a good combination of sweet matched with bitterness behind.

Easy to drink. Perhaps a touch too much carbonation to begin with, but well within the normal range of a pale ale. Medium body. It feels almost creamy initially. Very nice.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew