Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,827 | Hads: 6,693
4.02/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can into a nonic pint. Canned on 5/30/2013.

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark gold with towering off-white head that takes several minutes to even begin dissipating. Fantastic delicate lacing that lasts throughout the session. (Some reviewers had little head or carbonation- not sure if the brewery or their soapy glass is to blame.)

Smell: Piney hops, honey, some bread. Hard to discern much else at this point.

Taste: Awesome. The balance between the toasty malt and the hops is delightful. The pine is still driving this truck, but some spicy hops are riding shotgun. Hops are not overpowering, thank goodness. Not getting any citrus, doggone it, but the balance makes up for it. I'm not tempted at all to call this an IPA. Again, classic pale ale profile of bready malt and hops. Possibly my fave new pale.

MouthfeeL: Smooth and creamy. Quite adequate for what it needs to do. Malt is helping to provide a 'fullness' to the beer.

Overall: Well rounded pale ale that provides a good balance of malt and hops. Can't understand why it's not rated higher than it is. This is definitely a pale ale to seek out in my book. (1,137 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I was pretty excited to try this beer being in the top beers for the Better Beer Authority. Lets go over specifics:

Appearance: really nice amber color. Pliny the Elder color if you ask.
Smell: Biscuit Malt, Hops, Pine, one note citrus.
Taste: Alcohol, some citrus, slight grapefruit aftertaste.

For me, it could have been better. It is not a bad beer. The aftertaste was very one note for me. On the BBA scale I would rate it about a 6 but I think there are better beers in this style. I don't know whether this beer is trying to be an IPA or a pale ale. Bear Republic racer 5 is a much better example of the IPA style I think than Dales. If I had to have it again I would but it is not my favorite beer. (707 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

Appearance: Orangey brown in color. Moderate head with a decent lacing.

Smell: Smells like beer. No overpowering distinctive tones. Slight hop aroma.

Taste: Light on the flavor side. Slight hops come in on the back end, but fist sip is kinda mellow.

Mouthfell: Medium mouthfeel. Not heavy but not light. Very smooth however and not a lot of carbonation.

Drinkabilty: Very easy to drink-but cannot see myself having more than one or two in a row.

Overall a decent beer-kinda cool its in a can-but have had better in a can. (526 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass

A. Nice dark copper color with a finger or two of head that continued lacing the glass throughout the life of the beer.

S. Citrusy & Piney Hops up front with a little sweet/toasty malt coming through.

T. Wow, a lot of hops for an APA styled beer, almost a hybrid APA/IPA. Clean tasting and refreshing - not too heavily flavored, just enough to wake up the taste buds.

M. Very viscous/resiny, really feel the amount of hops in this baby. Medium-heavy bodied for the style, moderate carbination.

D. Goes down crisp and clean, a very enjoyable Ale. Intersting flavors, but none are overpowering. A very good Ale (662 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -18%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

L - not bad medium Amber, good head
S - not much, just malt
T - a little better flavor than the smell lead me to believe. I think I get a little hops on the aftertaste.
F - drinks ok, not too watery
O - I hoped for more from this beer, pretty average. (252 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

What a great Pale Ale! Pours clear orangey-copper. Aroma is fruity with hops standing out. Moderate to high carbonation. Medium bodied with nice hop vs. malt balance. Easy drinking and great flavor. This is one of my favorited American Pale Ales, that is always stocked in my fridge, and I am very discriminating when it comes to fridge space. I Love cans!! (357 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

A-The beer pours a hazy copper color with an off white cap of foam.

S-There was little aroma in my sample. You could smell citrus in addition to a vegetable/tobacco aroma. The citrus was a grapefruit like smell that was the majority of the fragrance.

T-There is a malt sweetness initially that is backed up by the hop bitterness. There is also a chalky flavor that accompanied the bitterness.

M-The carbonation was low to medium as was the body.

O-Dale's Pale ale was not a bad beer. My sample could have been younger but overall the beer was a flavorful session pale ale that had a sweet front that was backed by a solid but balanced bitterness. (650 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle or can? I've always liked canned beer, the likes of Boddington's, Guinness and John Smith's makes a good impression on can when not available on tap. Articles like the one in BA Mag helps too, I think.

Well let's get started. This isn't a can such as the beers named above comes in, but a rather standard one. Perhaps the aluminium is a bit thinner than normal - any thought behind this?

It pours a yellowish, hazy amber. The foam gives in quite quickly, some lacing.

Rich smell, due to the combination of floral hops and sweet/caramel malt.

Taste is first dominated by sweetness, but quickly balanced out by the hop bitterness, which grows and grows as the beer stays in the mouth. This bitterness is accompanied by a floral... not taste, but lovely feel.

Overall mouthfeel is that it is a bit thick, perhaps because the carboration is on the light side.

More, please! (Lucky I have half a box left) (917 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%

This is one of the only brews I've seen and had I tap that's is mainly distributed by can.

pours hazey clear orange with slight lacing throughout the glass.

the smell is a complex mix of hops.

However the tatse is amazing. For a pale ale the taste is really un matched and certainly this stands as king of caned pale ales. Rush of hops with a clean finish leaving purley hop tatse on the pallet.

I highly recommend this ale for any occasion. (446 characters)

All american pale ale. Not much else to say other then if you don't like it at first, give it a second chance. If you still don't like it after that .. Clearly your taste buds can't handle the bitter bomb. (205 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +6.1%

I was so excited when I saw a 12 pack of Dale's in my local beer store.

Having a beer from a can is such a novelty these days. As soon as I pour Dale's into my pint glass, I can smell a nice citrus aroma. The beer is a little cloudy and the color is light copper. The head is decent at first but soon disappears all together. It’s not extremely carbonated but certainly not flat.

Man..this beer is very hoppy. They ain’t kidding when they say “ a huge voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale”

I believe I would call this beer delicious. An excellent pale ale. I could drink a lot of these. (602 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Had to try, great packaging and a very good beer indeed. previous reviewer is pretty accurate, minimal to no head. Carbonation is light which equates to an extremely drinkable can beer (like say yoo hoo). I drank out of the can and then poured into a glass. Definitely an American IPA by anyone's standards. How many 6.5% pale ales are there? Definite floral hops and a fairley dry finish althjough enough of malt back up. I thought I found my new summer pool beer until I saw the abv. (485 characters)

Appearance is somewhat hazy with a light copper coler. Head was slightly off-white and maintained a good consistency while drinking, some lacing on glass. Taste is best described as bitter,somewhat hoppy, but once inside the mouth it goes down smooth creating a good mouthfeel You can smell the hops,adding to your drinking pleasure. Very surprized how good this was considering it came out of a can. Will look forward to drinking this again and would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys an American Pale Ale. (516 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Ohh man goot olde dale's pale.. I recently just had this stuff bout a week ago. My friends store just got all there type of beers shipped in and was draw too the can and 9 dollars a six pack price.

Overall a great beer... I was usualy drinking this out of the can but I got to pour one into a cup, and man was it looking good. Id say it looks bout the same as a dogfishhead 90 min.

The smell was alot smiliar to the dogfish , but didnt burn ur nose with the overall hoppy smell.

Now the taste is were its at, Id say by far probably one of my more favorite pale ale's out there if not the one. Very hoppy and very goot smooth taste.

Drinkability is pretty standerd ,, You just got to think of money first though, so a six pack is always good for the taste.

Had a blast with this stuff , so feel free so pick some up if your feeling goot! (851 characters)

Appearance: Copper orange, looks like a good IPA

Smell: Citrusy and piney hops with the slightest bit of caramel

Taste reflects smell. Taste more like an IPA than a pale ale. Very solid beer, good session in my opinion. Ends with a piney resin taste

Mouthfeel is good, carbonation seems to be right on.

Overall great beer, easy to drink and refreshing (355 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a clear orange with minimal head and moderate lacing.

The nose is huge due to it's "voluminously hopped" nature complete with all arrays of citrus and floral varieties.

Fairly bitter for a pale ale but at 65 IBUs it's a traditional American Pale Ale dancing on the boarder of IPA. Big hop flavors and a malt bill to bring it back to center.

Really smooth and sessionable, this is a great beer to take hiking or to the beach and it may throw a few people for a loop when they taste how good canned beer can be. (521 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -20%

Very bitter right from the start, I wasnt expecting that. I dont ususally drink from cans but I had to try this. Ten bucks for a six pack of cans seems a bit steep especially since there isnt too much special about this beer. But after the first one went down it wasnt as bitter as the first, add a frosty mug and your good to go. (330 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours amber with a thin, white head. Faint malt aromas quickly usurped by the hop bouquet. The hops are fragrant, and come close to a IPA for hoppiness.. The taste definitely does not disappoint; smooth malty sweetness perfectly balanced by the bittering hops. Hop flavor is evident as well. Medium body with a very smooth mouthfeel. Finishes clean. Really well done. (367 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Cloudy golden color. Nice carbonation and decent head retention.

Smell: Grainy, yeasty aroma. For the home brewers out there it smells exactly like wort to me.

Taste: Sweet, malty start with a hoppy finish. I may be crazy (or brewed too many beers) but it tastes a lot like wort smells, at least to me.

Mouthfeel: Nicely balanced carbonation with a bit of thickness.

Overall: A very unexpected, different tasting ale. Not bad, but I'm not sure it's one I'd drink often... (491 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

I scored a 19.5 oz can at Pinocchio's in Media, dated 6/23/2014 so it's pretty fresh. That having been said, I've noticed a few differences between the 19.5 and 12 oz cans. First of all, it has a darker complexion. Not much darker, but enough to be noticable. Second, it smells richer, like there's a little more to it then the 12 oz version. Third, my wife and I split a can so we each got about 10 oz and it had considerably more kick to it than a 12 oz can. Finally, there was way more malt and not nearly as bitter as the 12 oz version. I could see a couple of my "I don't like IPA" friends drinking this and enjoying it. Very good all around and if I could get it here regularly for less than $5 a can, this would be my go-to beer instead of the 12 oz cans or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. (788 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a 12oz can into an ale glass.

A: Clear honey colored with a very nice 1" creamy head from a hard pour. Some lacing down the glass.

S: Some malty, grainy, light hop aroma. Not real aromatic though. More floral than citrusy.

T: Light caramel tasting malt flavors with a very decent hoppy finish. Good balance between a lightly toasty malts and piney hop bitterness.

M: Has a light to medium mouthfeel. Not real carbonated.

D: Very easy drinker. Tasty ale that would be easy to drink several in a row.

Summary: I was able to buy a sixer of this one. It is a very tasty ale. I will buy this one again if I get the chance. (631 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

A- Pours a slightly hazy burnt orange color with a dense 3 finger head that sloooowly drops to one finger leaving sudsy lacing ALL OVER THE GLASS!

S- Floral and citrus hop aroma, spicy, sweet malty undertones.

T- Resin and pine, well balanced with the malt. Not as strong as promised by the nose yet still good drinking. No harsh aftertaste.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation. Nothing bad, nothing special.

D- Flavor makes for easy drinking as does the ABV, I like this beer very much and think it makes a good transition beer for non craft beer drinkers. (561 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Reddish/copper color with a 1/4" off white head. Steady carbonation with little tiny bubbles. When the head recedes, it coats the glass. Aroma is somewhat sweet with spicy, piney, and a touch of citrus hoppiness. Nice malt base and some good hops flavor. The hops have a mostly piney flavor. There is a bit of an agressiveness to the flavor, with a full mouthfeel. (364 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -46.1%

Really? The cans I bought were canned on May 1st 2012, according to the bottom of the can. I had high hopes for this brew after reading favorable reviews here on BA, but either I got a bad batch or this just doesn't float my boat, lol!

I poured the first can into an ice cold pint glass. It looked great! I smelled it and detected a bit of hops, so I was stoked, cuz I'm a hops head. Well, ugh, the first taste was bitter, chewy & lingering.

Come on, this has to be a poor sample, right?

Nevertheless, I had another and I'm sorry to say, that after just a few gulps, I poured it in my drain and grabbed a Hop Knot.

If someone else buys, I might try a third, but I'd prefer an adjunct lager over this slosh. (710 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Ok, maybe cans are ok. Jury is still out, but I'm open to the discussion.

Fondly recalled this beer from years ago when it was handed to me at the finish of a mountain bike race. Naturally, under the circumstances, it tasted real, real good. It's not widely available where I live, so was stoked to find a sixer.

Those good memories seem to be accurate, as this is a very pleasant American Pale Ale. A little maltier than most and not as aromatic, but pours well, tastes far better than average, and has a mighty fine feel on the palate.

Recommended without reservation or hesitation. Despite the packaging. (613 characters)

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew