Join our email list →

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

American Pale Ale (APA) | 6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,862 | Hads: 6,912

Poured from a can dated 9/28/15 into a pint glass. Very standard light copper color with a foamy, bubbly white head. Scent is very pale toned as the style suggests, a little bit of grain and malt on the taste too, very middle of the road pale ale with a decent clean feeling.

Sessionable and relatively refreshing, first thing that hits my mind is good fishing beer -- I don't know why but just gives me a reach into your ice cooler, grab a beer, pop it and voila kind of feel. Very easy drinking, not too high of alcohol, easy to unwind, veryy simple but good beer.

I will admit there are plenty of other choices I'd rather spend my cash on repeatedly but this is a nice beer. I would've thought it was a Texas beer had I not known, just gives off that kind of vibe; that being said I much prefer OB's IPA. Maybe I just like the excitement and variety of the stronger IPA counterparts moreso than the laid back APA style. Cheers!

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

No freshness date. Can I sampled was several months old at least. Pours a nice one finger creamy whitehead. Slowly shrinks leaving lacing. Color is slightly cloudy orange/copper.

Smell is all citrus and floral hops. Taste is nearly all hops (although restrained), with a hint of sweet malt peaking through. Slightly astringency at the very end. Leaves a good combination of sweet matched with bitterness behind.

Easy to drink. Perhaps a touch too much carbonation to begin with, but well within the normal range of a pale ale. Medium body. It feels almost creamy initially. Very nice.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

WOW! i never thought i'd have a beer this good in a can! and i love the "pack it in, pack it out" with the recyling logo on the back, it almost makes me feel like i'm doing something good for the plant.

A: pours a lightly cloudy, brownish yellow
S: carmel tone and malty sweetness (not heavy at all) with hoppy bitter on the back end
T: light malt sweetness at first with nice flourish of hops and ending with a good citrus combo at the end
M: good fizz not too thick
D: i could see myself kicking back around the campfire with this one

Poured from the 12 oz can into a pint glass. Cloudy amber beer beneath two fingers of foam. Smells like hops and grain. Tastes almost like an IPA. More than enough hops to be interesting. Surprisingly good mouthfeel and finish. I've never had this ale before but I will recomend it to my curious friends.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Golden with a thick spongy two finger head, Good retention and superb lacing throughout.

Smell: Grapefruit, pine, pineapple, bright fruits

Taste: Grapefruit, bright fruits, very good hop flavor not overpowering not underwhelming.

Mouthfeel: A sharp bitterness up front and as that is leaving you there is a tart dryness on the back end. Just enough carbonation to help it go down easy.

Drinkability: For a hop lover easy drinking, enjoyable. Back to back pounding is encouraged. Understandably not everyone wants to drink a 12rack of hoppy beer. Something I plan on having at my house often for Steelers games or a night cap. If hops aint your thing then look elsewhere for a daily drinker.

4.6/5  rDev +17%

This beer is light and crisp but still hoppy. Hoppy but not too bitter. This beer has been around for what seems like forever now but it's stood the test of time. Oskar Blues is the original canned craft beer. At first it seemed like that they were just a novelty beer. "Beer that doesn't suck in a can!", but it really is a great drink. Now everyone is trying to mimic their canning, most notably 21st Amendment.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I was completely taken by surprise by this beer at the Empire Brew Fest during a recent visit to Syracuse. I'd never even heard of it before and it didn't look like much to get excited about, cos canned beer's crap right?...but a lot of people were soaking it up and since my mission was to sample as many different beers as I could, I thought "what the hell". Imagine my surprise when I found that it was the best beer I'd tried all night - and most of what I'd had previously was top rate. It tastes more like an IPA than a APA to me, but who cares...This is one fantastic beer and sadly I have now depleted my stock of it that I brought back to Florida. Yet another reason to move back North.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Drank on: 3/4/10
6.5% ABV
12 oz can in a tulip glass

A= Pretty 1/4" head which was slightly off-white. Opaque golden amber beer. Head receeded slowly leaving a nice whispy lace and a thin layer of bubbles on top.

S= Fantastic hop aroma! Notes of piney citrus (grapefruit) and hints of resiny hops.

T= Light notes of malt come throught. Great delicious citrus hop flavor accompanied by notes of pine. Has a very nice hop bitterness from the middle through the finish. Flavors very similar to the aroma.

MF= Wonderful body which isn't to light. Leaves nice light coating on tongue and has a great lasting bitterness, which is just right.

D= Highly drinkable. Goes down smooth and each sip you take brings you back for another.

Overall, this is definitely my favorite beer in a can. At least so far.

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Light orange gold pour with a decent frothy off-white head. 2 fingers worth billows up atop the glass. Fades quickly. Light lace strands, but all around the glass.

Nose is light burnt caramel malt with a slight off-color metallic twang. Not from the can, mind you, just a tweak that comes from the malt. Grassy herbal hops come in underneath the malt, but play second fiddle.

Taste has that burnt caramel, but a significant orange presence with a touch of mango sweetness buried deep underneath. Nice malt balance against the hops with a good bitter twinge in the finish.

Feel is pretty darn nice. Maybe a touch heavy for the flavors, but not off by much. Crisp and clean.

Was waiting to taste this fresh from the new facility. I'm not disappointed.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Really smooth for the ABV and for being a pale ale. Nice head when poured can to glass. Taste resides in the front of the mouth, moving to middle and upper palate on swallow. Aftertaste minimal, little lingering. Head seems to diminish quickly. Clean taste. Sessionable. Would buy again. Pairs well with a tobacco vape blend like Axiom's Honeysuckle Tobacco.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a golden amber color with a thick, fluffy head. I accidentally poured a little too aggressively and was able to coax a 3+ finger head out of it, whoops. Long lasting foam ring on the top and around the edge of the glass, with good soapy lacing. Smells of floral notes, lemon, and pine. Taste is actually more malty than I expected, but still very good. I got pine resin, crackers, bready sweetness, and lemon peel. Finishes fairly dry and leaves a lot of fresh, clean, hop flavor in the aftertaste. Overall a really nice pale ale that's drinkable enough to have a couple in one sitting.

2.89/5  rDev -26.5%

12 oz can poured into ergonomic pint glass.

A: Looks nice! Good copper/bronze color, nice thick head.

S: Just caught a nose full of pine. Maybe a bit a fruit in there, but hops/pine smell dominated my pour.

T: I am not a hop-head in general, so I was a bit worried here. Certainly a very bold taste, but just not what I like in a beer. Hops hit hard up front and bitter citrus (grapefruit?) taste lingered long afterwards. Others in my drinking party whose tastes leaned more towards the IPA end of the beer spectrum seemed to enjoy it.

M: Good carbonation, but the persistent astringent finish struck me as unpleasant.

D: Not one I'd look to drink in multiplicity, but I'll attribute that more to my palate than to the beer itself.

A tremendous amount of character from a can. I know it is a respectable APA... it just isn't a style that I like in general. That being said, if these same guys come up with a stout, I'll absolutely give it a try.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

Dale's Pale Ale is a great brew and a perfect pairing to the can it's packaged in.
If Guinness had a hoppy American brother that was equally sophisticated but more utilitarian, it would be this one.
The beer pours to a deep amber and the head is like a cloud of creamy milkshakes. Mouthfeel is awesome. On first taste this beer is not near what it becomes after a little time in the glass.
This may be a new favorite. Let's just say Sierra Nevada should pay close attention to DPA.

3.37/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

After four years and over a hundred beer tried, we expanded the man cave to add a two tap system. Dales was picked . Poured deep yellow, with small head. Fair lacing floral and pine notes, with a citrus finish. Full flavored pale ale.

Bought in a sixtel served at 38 degrees received a 11 out of 20 in our beer club. I gave it a 14 myself.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

This is the best beer I've ever had out of a can.

Granted, not a lot of micros in cans in my neck of the woods (and I have a Surly Bender in the 'fridge that may soon kick Dale from top spot). But! many thanks to MeisterBurger in my virgin trade for this one.

Terrible packaging - looks like an adjunct lager at first glance. Never would have given it a second thought. But guess what? It's a very hoppy pale ale that verges on IPA territory. Darkish orange amber in the glass, good head with some lacing and retention. Strong citrus hops flavour with some floral notes and a nice bitter finish, all balanced by solid toffee malts. Reminds me of Lagunitas New Dogtown but slightly less citrusy. Active, oily mouthfeel, very refreshing and flavourful. I could drink a lot of these -- too bad they're not available in Alberta. Just what the doctor ordered!

3.71/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from can into tulip glass.

A: Pours a transparent amber with 1/2 finger head.

S: Green Olives, Citrus Fruits.

T: Malty backbone. Citrus and piney hops finish. Smooth finish.

M: Good carbonation. Medium bodied.

O: Honestly I'd rather have SNPA over this. It's more malt forward for my liking. Not knocking it just not my cup of tea.

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Light amber color, clear with minimal head. Very nice hoppy aroma, some malt in the nose as well. This brew has a very balanced flavor profile but it has a generous amount of hop bitterness and some nice piney notes as it warms. Mouthfeel is spot on, this beer is refreshing but its just thick enough to keep you drinking it. Overall this was a very tasty pale ale that was hard to put down. I finished it pretty quick and I think I will crack another.

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Nice hoppy pale. Well balanced with malt sweetness. A little thin on the mouth feel. Some light bitterness that lingers. Easy drinking. Quality pale ale.

3.26/5  rDev -17%

First canned beer I've had in ages... wouldn't have bought it, but the owner of the Vintage Cellar (Radford, VA, store) told me that as a hop-head, he highly recommended this brew. Turns out it's canned because aluminum is better than glass for hiking (for obvious reasons). Those wacky Coloradoans.

Backstory aside, this beer is only so-so in my book. Definitely a strong hop flavor from front to back, but that's about all I taste aside from a vague sugariness. Not what I'd called a "balanced" beer, but the hops aren't overwhelming. The brownish-amber color is gorgeous, although the off-white head didn't last very long. I guess it's the hop varietal, but even if you hadn't told me where this beer was brewed, I would have said west of the Mississippi.

Basically, if I were going camping, I'd bring this along by the six pack, but I probably wouldn't buy it any other time. Might be a good beer to take along to a party where lots of swill will be consumed (assuming you don't want to stand out too much). Maybe I will buy some to take to the family fourth of July this weekend... nah, they already know I'm a snob =)

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Alright I am not gonna lie I was a bit skeptical going in a craft beer from a can?!?!?! But it is damn good.

Alright appearance to me was not all that impressive. It is a bit darker then most pale ales i have drank with a coppery color to it. It also has a decent head and some decent lacing but nothing spectacular.

The smell is great. If I had this beer a year ago I would have hated it because of hoppy it smells it smells like an IPA to me. Its amazing to see how my palate and nose has changed over the last year. The smell is extremly hoppy to me and to me the hop presence is soo overpowering its all i really get out of the smell of this beer.

Now the taste of this beer is great after getting such a huge hop presence out of the nose I was expecting a major hopbomb is the taste but boy was I wrong. The taste of this beer is amazing a great citrus hop tasted backed up by an amazing malt presence that really balances this beer out.

This beer has a great monthfeel to it and with good carbonation.

I usally don't find really hoppy beers all the drinkable but this is thanks to the amazing malt presence that makes it such a great pale ale.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It poured a clear golden orange with a good amount of bubbles and a head which dissipated fairly quickly.

Nose was malty, apricot, and herbaceous (perhaps a bit of rosemary).

Mouthfeel was light, slightly creamy, with a full taste that filled the whole mouth for a few seconds, cycling through the same flavors as the nose and ending with a long, bitter finish.

I wish it did not go flat in the glass as quickly as it did since it has a complex enough taste to linger over.

Ultimately I liked this beer and would consider getting it again when looking for a pale ale.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

With a pretty hard pour I got a good 2 inch head that slowly sank into a craggy pile of fluff which gave off a sappy hop aroma that was very pleasant. Piney scent is up front with very little malt presence in nose. At first the flavor shows that the nose promised, but where I usually expect a pale ale to either give me more hop flavor or open up for some complexity, the flavor just gives way to a watery finish. Its not bad, just not terribly satisfying. The mouthfeel is good for the style, and its certainly drinkable, but I wish there was a little more to it. I am left waiting for the punch.

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a can (yep a can) into a pint glass. Upon pouring, this beer produces a nice one and a half fingers of thick, marshmallow cloud foam. A beautiful orange speckled with lots of tiny sediment makes this beauty sparkle. Truly a sight to behold. Crazy amounts of lace coat the glass in huge ridges. The head sticks around for a while; dimpling and begging to be gazed upon. The smell is all clean..pine and citrus..with bright floral hop notes. Mouthfeel is medium and just crisp enough. Taste is all pine sap and orange with a nice warm buttery glow on the tongue. Hops are all over the place and leave a great piney-hop aftertaste. I could pound these bad boys all night. Definitely a sleeper and for the price you'd be hard pressed to find anything this tasty. I can't say I noticed an aluminum or canned taste in the slightest. I'd easily recommend this to anyone as a great standout IPA. This brew is clearly in need of a review revisit by some who have been blinded by the can.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

Serving Type- 12oz Can (Haven't put that down in quite a while)

A- As I opened the can I kinda thought that pouring this beer outta a can might ruin the pour, but it did quite well. Nice foamy egg shell colored head that laced the glass nicely. Great crystal clear copper color.

S- Nice rich malts dominate this one right off the bat. I was kind of expecting some big hops, but I was glad that it wasn't a big hop monster. Getting some nice orange and caramel, and just a bit of American hops.

T- Great malty beer! Nice balance! Way better then I could have imagined! Rich caramel, Butternut squash, Orange peel, Grapefruits. Super balance of hops and malts.

M- Rich and creamy, medium carbonation, with a nice viscosity.

D- Now this is where I have a problem. l really like this beer and could see it becoming a regular rotation in my daily beer fridge, but the price isn't so nice. At $8.50 per 6 pack it is a bit pricey so I guess I'll just have to keep on brewing myself till i become as good as this beer is!

Wavz

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

The deep orange color is darker than I would have expected. The aroma is subtle but complex, with a combination of caramel sweetness, earthy hop bitterness, and alcohol. The flavor is much more one-dimensional, with strong notes of pine and grapefruit, making the flavor bigger and bitterer than many pale ales. The bitterness builds, which can make it tough to drink more than a few at a time. Overall, flavorful and a great option among canned beers.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew