Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,809 | Hads: 6,599
4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours amber with a thin, white head. Faint malt aromas quickly usurped by the hop bouquet. The hops are fragrant, and come close to a IPA for hoppiness.. The taste definitely does not disappoint; smooth malty sweetness perfectly balanced by the bittering hops. Hop flavor is evident as well. Medium body with a very smooth mouthfeel. Finishes clean. Really well done. (367 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Cloudy golden color. Nice carbonation and decent head retention.

Smell: Grainy, yeasty aroma. For the home brewers out there it smells exactly like wort to me.

Taste: Sweet, malty start with a hoppy finish. I may be crazy (or brewed too many beers) but it tastes a lot like wort smells, at least to me.

Mouthfeel: Nicely balanced carbonation with a bit of thickness.

Overall: A very unexpected, different tasting ale. Not bad, but I'm not sure it's one I'd drink often... (491 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

I scored a 19.5 oz can at Pinocchio's in Media, dated 6/23/2014 so it's pretty fresh. That having been said, I've noticed a few differences between the 19.5 and 12 oz cans. First of all, it has a darker complexion. Not much darker, but enough to be noticable. Second, it smells richer, like there's a little more to it then the 12 oz version. Third, my wife and I split a can so we each got about 10 oz and it had considerably more kick to it than a 12 oz can. Finally, there was way more malt and not nearly as bitter as the 12 oz version. I could see a couple of my "I don't like IPA" friends drinking this and enjoying it. Very good all around and if I could get it here regularly for less than $5 a can, this would be my go-to beer instead of the 12 oz cans or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. (788 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a 12oz can into an ale glass.

A: Clear honey colored with a very nice 1" creamy head from a hard pour. Some lacing down the glass.

S: Some malty, grainy, light hop aroma. Not real aromatic though. More floral than citrusy.

T: Light caramel tasting malt flavors with a very decent hoppy finish. Good balance between a lightly toasty malts and piney hop bitterness.

M: Has a light to medium mouthfeel. Not real carbonated.

D: Very easy drinker. Tasty ale that would be easy to drink several in a row.

Summary: I was able to buy a sixer of this one. It is a very tasty ale. I will buy this one again if I get the chance. (631 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

A- Pours a slightly hazy burnt orange color with a dense 3 finger head that sloooowly drops to one finger leaving sudsy lacing ALL OVER THE GLASS!

S- Floral and citrus hop aroma, spicy, sweet malty undertones.

T- Resin and pine, well balanced with the malt. Not as strong as promised by the nose yet still good drinking. No harsh aftertaste.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation. Nothing bad, nothing special.

D- Flavor makes for easy drinking as does the ABV, I like this beer very much and think it makes a good transition beer for non craft beer drinkers. (561 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Reddish/copper color with a 1/4" off white head. Steady carbonation with little tiny bubbles. When the head recedes, it coats the glass. Aroma is somewhat sweet with spicy, piney, and a touch of citrus hoppiness. Nice malt base and some good hops flavor. The hops have a mostly piney flavor. There is a bit of an agressiveness to the flavor, with a full mouthfeel. (364 characters)

A solid, balanced pale ale. Hops are definitely present but the malt finish competes. One of my "go-to" pale ales, up there with Sierra Nevada and the old Stone Pale. (166 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Smells of yeast, bread, melon, some grapefruit, faint hops and pine. Taste follows the nose. Good carb, very refreshing. One of the better APA's I've had. My six pack was canned 4 weeks ago. Wonder if this would taste better at one week. (237 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -46.1%

Really? The cans I bought were canned on May 1st 2012, according to the bottom of the can. I had high hopes for this brew after reading favorable reviews here on BA, but either I got a bad batch or this just doesn't float my boat, lol!

I poured the first can into an ice cold pint glass. It looked great! I smelled it and detected a bit of hops, so I was stoked, cuz I'm a hops head. Well, ugh, the first taste was bitter, chewy & lingering.

Come on, this has to be a poor sample, right?

Nevertheless, I had another and I'm sorry to say, that after just a few gulps, I poured it in my drain and grabbed a Hop Knot.

If someone else buys, I might try a third, but I'd prefer an adjunct lager over this slosh. (710 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Ok, maybe cans are ok. Jury is still out, but I'm open to the discussion.

Fondly recalled this beer from years ago when it was handed to me at the finish of a mountain bike race. Naturally, under the circumstances, it tasted real, real good. It's not widely available where I live, so was stoked to find a sixer.

Those good memories seem to be accurate, as this is a very pleasant American Pale Ale. A little maltier than most and not as aromatic, but pours well, tastes far better than average, and has a mighty fine feel on the palate.

Recommended without reservation or hesitation. Despite the packaging. (613 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hop filled love in a can, it's packable, drinkable, and just plain tasty. Best enjoyed with friends and straight from the cans. Oskar blues flagship beer is still in my top list for beers year round. 4.5/5 O.B.D91 (213 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: hazy, deep amber color. Creamy head with very good retention.

Smell: strong, floral hops up front, with some citrus and rust.

Taste: the body was not enough to back up the hops, and tasted slightly hollow. Nice caramel notes in the aftertaste. I expected some tinnyness from the can, but

Mouthfeel: very creamy and smooth. left the palate clean.

Drinkability: very refreshing, but not as much body as I would have liked. (438 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

My opinion is unfortunately tainted because of my love for all things bitter. With that said, I don't know why there are a certain few that can't stand this beer. I would think it could harbor a mediocre review on style compatibility alone- this is an APA and tastes/drinks as such. I, of course, think that it's the best thing in a can that is out there, and one of my favorite hoppy brews overall. If you like hops, then this will double the size of your hop head. Sure it's unbalanced, but that is the appeal of the APA- an overhopped IPA. Am I right? And to validate my opinion, I had this beer on a non-hyped recomendation of a liquor store owner on my visit to the Carolina's- I'd never even heard of it before then. So, hyped or not, from a one hop lover to the next, buy a six and enjoy. (795 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep copper to amber color with a nice off-white head.
Aroma: Very in your face, hop-forward nose smelling richly of orange zest, grapefruit, and pine sap. There's a light backing of caramel and or biscuity maltiness, but, for the most part, the hops dominate aroma.
Taste: In the initial taste there is a hint of toasty maltiness with a crystal malt type sweetness. Great blend of citrus fruits and pine with a medium-high hop bitterness. Finishes a bit dry with a long, lingering bitterness and citric taste of grapefruit and orange. The malts come through as the beer's temperature rises.
Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, medium amount of carbonation and a relatively smooth mouthfeel.
Drinkability/Overall: Definitely not one of those mildly hopped, easy-going American Pale Ales you usually cross paths with. A very full flavored, boldly hopped pale ale, but it still remains rather drinkable. Definitely edging on a American IPA.
Food Pairings: Poultry. Good with earthy, nutty, and tangy cheeses. Also, salads that have nuts and a citrusy dressing in them. (1,083 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A: Not pale at all, a clear copper color with solid head retention

S: Strong floral scent, very faint malt in the end

T: Fairly hoppy throughout, no detectable malt sweetness due to the solid punch of bitterness

M: Light bodied, but sticks to the mouth all the way through each sip. Light carbonation

D: A definite choice for anywhere that doesn't allow glass bottles. Complex and a good example of American ale (452 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

A big pale ale for a lover of big beers. If you like West Coast IPAs, you'll like this one. Very hoppy, yet with a well-balanced flavor.

From a can, poured into pint glass.

Appearance- A nice amber-orange. Not much of a head, but somehow carbonation lingers in aftertaste.

Smell- A pleasant combination of alcohol and hops with a little malt. Somehow, it punches you in the nose every time you come back to smell again. You don't adapt to it. That's what I like most about it.

Taste- Delicious representation of the smell. Strong hops up front, especially for a pale ale, then dry malt. I get some lemon lingering afterwards. Want one more note (some sweetness?), but great.

Mouthfeel- The malt/lemon sits on the tongue nicely. "Carbonation" stays too. Something about the aftertaste feels like bubbles on your tongue.

I find it very drinkable and pleasant, with the taste complexity of a sipping beer and a lack of heaviness so that you could have more than one. Excellent deliciousness. (996 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Note: i poured this beer out of ritual then realized based on the packaging i probably should've drank it from the can, but here we go....

Pour: A lightly hazed deep nearly burnt amber. head appears to be well structured and off white. seemingly random bubbles make their way to the top at a slow but steady pace. head breaks down within a couple of min.

Nose: touch of malt nuance of citrus and a hearty punch of hops.

Mouth: hoppy, a bit of cream with the malt. resiny, sticky, probably too hopped for most. however i think this very well done.the malt picks up a step as the brew approaches room temp. there is a lingering hop coating that you don't pick up till until you swallow and the nearly 'rise from the grave' to let your tongue that yes, "that just happened in your mouth".

I dig it. i dig OB, too. my thinking is this if canning saves them so much cash on their end, then why as consumers as we paying in at such a high price point? (952 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Color was orangish with some froth
Smelled of biscuit and smelled of pine. Taste is pretty big for a pale ale. Strong malty caramel favors. Somewhat earthy flavor otherwise. Mouth is a medium body but sticky and sweet with a strong bitter finish that leaves the mouth dry. This beer bridges a gap between an ipa and a pa. I would drink again. (342 characters)

This beer is my woman and I's session beer. First time I had it I wasn't a fan but as I got more and more, I kept coming back. This ain't your average pale ale. It's bong bong. I'll drink this anytime, anywhere. If you haven't got this yet and you like hops you are missing out on life. Oskar blues never let's down with their 3d beers in a can. Buy it, shotgun one, enjoy. (373 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

I heard about this good beer that comes in a can and I've read reviews, but I didn't think it really existed until I saw it myself.

As I write this I'm working on my second can of the night and I might have a third one before I'm done.

Cloudy copper with a two-finger head that leaves nice lacing on the glass I poured this into.

A hoppy aroma and I'm picking up some malt aroma as well.

A nice, hoppy flavor with some malt. It's smooth, but it's kind of syrupy for a pale ale.

This is pretty decent and it's something I'd try again. I wonder how it is on draft? I just can't get over the fact that a beer like this comes in a can. (639 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

This is the only canned Pale Ale that can rival Southern Start Pine Belt Pale Ale in my opinion! This brew pours a clear camel amber. Small head, despite strong poor. Lacing is left clinging to the edges of my Saint Arnolds Oktoberfest pint glass. Carbonation is hidden, but its presence is felt when drinking.

This beer smells exactly how you would expect a pale ale to smell. The balance between the hops and malt is perfect for my tastes... Florally and bitter hops mix with a sweet and full bodied malt smell that gets my taste buds ready to relax with a beautiful brew!

The taste of this brew should be used to teach others what an American Pale Ale should taste like. This brew is so perfectly balanced that it goes down almost too easy for 6.5%! The front end is dominated by malted barley. As the beer moves towards the back of my mouth, I start to sense to hoppy tones. This beer is certainly not going to scortch your tounge, but the hops are evident and compliment the beer perfectly!

Drinkability- This beer is an goto beer for me during the summer, fall, winter, and spring! It goes down easy, and sometimes too quickly. If I didn't have access to Southern Star Pine Belt Pale Ale, this beer would be found in my fridge 365 days a year.

edited for spelling (thats what I get for reviewing after finishing two of these!) (1,337 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Appearance - A cloudy, dark orange color that looks brown/black. A thick head that leaves behind a sticky lacing that fades from the glass after a few minutes. The carbonation is hard to make out but seemed well balanced from the drink.

Smell - A strong, hoppy smell. Sweet malts and a lingering metallic smell from the can. Tones of orange and pine.

Taste - While the hop smell is strong once it hits the tounge its actually mild and not much too it. Once the sweetness fades away there is a orange-rind and metallic after-taste.

Mouthfeel - The tangy citrus flavors and bitter hops fizzle out on the tounge. A good body for a Pale Ale. There is an unpleasant metallic after-taste that the beer picks up from the can but it doesn't ruin the beer especially if you keep sipping.

Drinkability - Friendly and easy to throw a few back no problem. Like most pale ales anyone can pick up the can and enjoy a few. The beer is easy to drink but some may find it a bit boring since the hops don't do much.

This beer would probably be enjoyed more if I didn't have it from a can (1,075 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured hard from a can into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A- Deep golden amber body with a big frothy tan head that sticks around all the way through until it sits at the bottom of the glass (like Guinness on tap at an Irish pub)
S- Strong floral nose, something woody decidedly sweet
T- Starts off with a strong bite, then flavors of caramel, apple, and a bittersweet finish. Just on the brink of being too sweet but it comes back just in time.
M- Goes down smooth, medium carbonation
D- Great for a day hike or drinking on your lawn in a hurricane.

Definitely a favorite beer, and it comes in a can too! (604 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I might have to drink this Pale Ale again. I love Oscar Blues, however this beer wasn't one of my favorites from them.

Appearance: Beer was quite hazy. Almost looks as if it's unfiltered. Doesn't have the polished, beautiful appearance of a large brewing companies beer. Amber in color with good carbonation and head retention. Left some good lacing in the glass.

Smell: Not a whole lot of aroma. Pale and crystal malts, with maybe some munich? I gathered a lot of piney hops with peppery spices and some subtle grapefruit and citrus.

Taste: A good malt backbone with a strong flavor of piney and spicy hops. Very little citrus flavor.

Mouthfeel: A little bitter on the finish, but not bad. A medium bodied beer with a decent mouthfeel.

Overall: Again, I love Oscar Blues so I think i'm going to try this one again. I really got a bit of a different flavor profile than some of the other reviews that I saw on here. It is a good beer, but there are other pale ales I enjoy more. (985 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -12.4%

Not quite sure what a "rocky mountain pale ale" is, but apparently this is one. 6.5% abv makes me think it's not a shy beer by any means. Barely heard a sound when I opened the can, which made me think it may have been flat, but it produced a small froth. Poured from the can it has a nice white head on it that slowly shrinks down leaving minimal lacing. Not much stuck to the glass beyond the initial layer, actually. Honey colored. Hint of dry crackers in the aroma. Balanced aroma of some grain and hops. Tastes hoppier than it smells. Seems a bit off balance to me, though I'm admittedly not a hophead. Light bodied, with low to moderate carbonation. This is something I probably couldn't make a session out of, but sometimes I'm looking for that lasting hop flavor. It really has more hop flavor than actual bitterness. Late hopping could be the reason. My biggest issue is the discrepancy between balance in flavor and aroma. Decent beer. (945 characters)

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew