Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,850 | Hads: 6,821
3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a can a slightly hazy golden brown with a frothy off-white head.

Aroma is a nice medley of grapefruit hops, bread, light caramel, and malt.

The taste is citrusy hops and a touch of bitterness upfront and a malty finish.

Medium mouthfeel, slightly drying and lightly carbonated.

A very nice APA from Oskar Blues. So easy to drink and enjoy.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Pours a orange/ amber color with a creamy white head. Nice hop aroma- citrusy, almost liek an ipa would smell. Good first sip, faily smoot with a subtle hop bite. Can really taste a nice cascade hop presence, but not overly bitter. Very drinkable beer, I think it may have something to do with it coming in a can. Kinda neat.

Pours a orange-ish/ yellow/ copper color with a white head. In the aroma, big citrus grapefruity hops. In the taste, quite malty and grapefruity hops. A small bitter in the mouthfeel and a semi dry citrus aftertaste. Drinks more like an IPA, smooth with a nice citrus bitterness.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours clear orange with a very thick off-white, foamy head. The aroma is heavy with citrus hops, with some maltiness in the background. The taste has a pleasing bitterness, more pine and grassy hops than citrus. There's strong maal backbone to balance. Mouthfeel is resiny, with a dry finish. A very nice APA.

3.27/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance: Gold with a thick head and tons of little particles floating around.

Smell: Citrus, but an unappealing wet cardboard smell also.

Taste: Pretty good, starts with some sweetness before some earthy notes and citrus bitterness later on.

Drinkability: 12oz cans are perfect for disguising the smell and having several in a sitting.

This beer seems to be all over the place in the various categories. Looks fine, smells mediocre, tastes ok. I like 12oz cans better than 16oz, and it's great to have another craft ale in cans.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a golden amber with about a one inch off-white head that dissipates quickly. Some nice lacing going on here.

S - Hop aroma for the most part with some malts present

T - It tastes like a great pale ale, especially coming from a can. Lots of hops to begin with followed by a pleasant bitterness.

D - I enjoy a good pale ale so I could drink quite a few of these with no problem and the fact that they come in cans is a bonus.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

I heard about this good beer that comes in a can and I've read reviews, but I didn't think it really existed until I saw it myself.

As I write this I'm working on my second can of the night and I might have a third one before I'm done.

Cloudy copper with a two-finger head that leaves nice lacing on the glass I poured this into.

A hoppy aroma and I'm picking up some malt aroma as well.

A nice, hoppy flavor with some malt. It's smooth, but it's kind of syrupy for a pale ale.

This is pretty decent and it's something I'd try again. I wonder how it is on draft? I just can't get over the fact that a beer like this comes in a can.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

It comes in cans? After trying this for the first time at Flat Top Johnny's I was converted. 12oz cold aluminum can poured into pint glass. Deep amber and sudsy with off-white head, it doesn't look like it came from a can.

Smells hoppy like a pale ale. Taste is big and immediate and full of hops, pleasantly bitter, but follows with a big neutral maltiness which isn't too sweet but balances well. More drinkable than an IPA, but nearly as sharp. I would not have guessed the ABV was anything over 5%.

I don't detect any metal in the flavor, although I did have the sense to pour it in a glass. The glass is accumulating a nice collection of white lacing.

Overall, a tasty, very balanced, and accessible everyday beer, and very economical given its high quality.

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light copper color, small head but lots of lacing. Very clear

Hops are there, but there is a lot of specialty malt showing up that overpowers the hops.

Very, very caramely flavor. There's some biscuit in there as well, but it's more like a slightly hoppy amber in flavor.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated, but very heavy and syrupy for a pale ale.

Way too many specialty malts in this beer for the style, also too high an ABV. That being said, it's very tasty despite BJCP guidelines. I've had this a few times and do enjoy it even though it's a bit heavy and caramely for what you would expect by reading the can.

4.52/5  rDev +15%

I have to admit originally being put off by the can concept and was naive in thinking a quality ale wouldnt come out of it. Man, was I wrong. This beer was a pleasure.

12oz can poured into mug.

A: Copper gold pour with generous head and great lacing.

S: Surprised by the strong aroma of hops which really dominated.

T: Terrific balance of malts and bittering hops. The one dominant flavor accompanying the powerful hops was caramel.

M: Oils from the hops are sticky with a solid backbone.

D: Through the roof, this is a great beer to sit down and enjoy. Looking forward to many more.

I cant wait to enjoy more of these, what a perfect football watching beer. Would like to some time try on tap too.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Okay, saw a forum post ranting about the stuff and happened to see it out. Served in a standard pint glass. Poured a honey-copper color. Half-inch head dissipated into a mere skim of foam; a little lacing, but not particularly abundant, although decent, thin adherence. Scent of hops and some citrus fruit. Taste similar to nose with a mellow, tart finish (citric acid perhaps) that lingers just a little too long leaving a bit of an aftertaste. Lively full mouthfeel. Pleasantly drinkable for a canned beer, but it is about at the end of my hops limit.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

A: The head on this beer is very small, however it sticks around and is relatively sticky the hazed copper color is also nice
S: none, none that i can pick up, no "traditional" hop aroma or anything that would indicate what type of beer this is
T: this seems apa, its hoppy with a twang of dry bitterness, there is an undercurrent of malt and there is somewhat citrus type notes
M/D: this beer has a drying effect in the mouth which to a degree is nice, but i feel this might be a bit too much its not bad, but drops the score a tad

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Beautifully clear amber pour, frothy white head, nice carbonation – we are off to a good start.

A floral aroma greets me, and it’s a steady influence in the quaff. Some pops of a woody resin adds to a enjoyable drinking brew. Crisp finishing, perhaps just a small tinge of an oily film, perfect for a straight pale ale.

I am, once again, impressed with the can craft. Ready for more breweries to make the switch.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

A- Caramel brown color and semi transparent. Head is minimal after pouring form the can. Lacing is present down the sides of the glass.

S- Hoppy and buttery with nice caramel malt aroma.

T- Buttery and biscuity with hoppy bitterness, and also has a sweet caramel backbone present.

M- Medium to thick and low carbonaiton. I would have liked a little more sting here.

D- Little too sweet for guzzling, but very enjoyable still.

Overall- Thanks to jhammerly for this one thrown in as an extra! I like this beer and love the fact it is in a can. That makes it more "packable" and very nice for tailgating, etc. Good brew and I will revisit it again soon.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head

S - Is of a whole lot a hops not that thats bad

T - If you like hops this is a good thing

M - This is a medium bodied brew

D - I enjoyed this beer I thought it was good but I think its a little over hyped its worth trying sometime

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Pours a hazy orange topped by a small fluffy white head that eventually diminishes. Moderate lacing down the glass. Smells of piney, floral hops. The taste is a wonderful juggling act of the pine and floral balanced with a solid malt base, nice caramel tones too. Mellow finish that lingers, makes me salivate as I imagine the next sip. One of the best beers in a can that I've had.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

My opinion is unfortunately tainted because of my love for all things bitter. With that said, I don't know why there are a certain few that can't stand this beer. I would think it could harbor a mediocre review on style compatibility alone- this is an APA and tastes/drinks as such. I, of course, think that it's the best thing in a can that is out there, and one of my favorite hoppy brews overall. If you like hops, then this will double the size of your hop head. Sure it's unbalanced, but that is the appeal of the APA- an overhopped IPA. Am I right? And to validate my opinion, I had this beer on a non-hyped recomendation of a liquor store owner on my visit to the Carolina's- I'd never even heard of it before then. So, hyped or not, from a one hop lover to the next, buy a six and enjoy.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

On tap at Barly's Taproom in Greenville, SC.

Beautiful in its amber redness. Thick, rocky head with a sticky lace throughout the pint. Aromas thick of hoppy resiny goodness. Flavors balanced incredibly well with the hoppy goodness and the hardly-too-sweet maltiness. This brew gently yet affirmatively covers the palate in a noncloying way. Great balance and a well sessionable brew. True, in mainstram circles, the red headed stepchild of Gordon, but still, a fantastic session pale ale, especially on tap.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

pours rather hazy...medium straw color.
have to admit it is strange drinking out from a can.
Nice head..lacing is very good.
I smell citrus, caramel and bread..a slight tin noted in the nose as well.
Taste is good. Malty and floral. Citrus note, grapefruit...very ditter finish
Pretty good beer.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

appearance – Clear orange color with not much head here.

smell – Citrus hops smell here along with some pine smell.

taste – Has a hoppy taste that has a orange taste to it. Some malt taste here, very little, has a bitter taste too.

mouthfeel – Light -medium body with some bitterness.

drinkability – Too much hop taste for me, big for a hop head though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent APA in a can. Nice copper color and hop aroma, though not as floral and citrusy as the more extreme hoppy beers. A solid offering by all accounts though, with a nice balance of hoppy citrus and pine. Bonus points for using updated can technology to enhance freshness and portability. I have purchased a case and a half of this stuff because it flies off the shelves at my local store. Noticed some consistency variations between canned batches, but very minor, and this is to be expected with craft brews I suppose. One 12 pack was a bit smokier than the other, but nothing damning. Though Dale's is good in the can, I have to say it is much better on tap to my taste buds. I want to try the Gordon IPA next.

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from the 12oz. can into a pint glass. A nice copper color with a good white head, that left nice lacing as it slowly faded. Off to a good start here I'd day.

Aroma is nice and earthy, some piney hops and almost musty (in the damp forest kind of way) malt aromas combine for an interesting complexity. Some nice balance here in the aroma. Taste has some piney hop character upfront which quickly turns bitter for a long harsh finish that won't quit (that's a good thing!). This is all the while backed by an earthy malt character. A bit of alcohol in the finish as well.

This beer has good body, yet is not filling. All in all it's a great drinkable APA. I've been burning out on the style of late but this one is distinct enough to make me glad I bought the sixer.

The can is a big plus IMO. Keep it up guys!

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Here we go with the famed Dale's Pale Ale in a can. Pours a clear gold with a ruby touch. Good sized head that sticks around. Nose is very heavy on the hops with a strong sweetness. Flavor is *really* heavy with the hops. It's almost an overkill to me as it seems to be somewhat imbalanced. Too much in my face, I mean mouth. Just lacks a even flow. It's like the beer is yelling out, "Hey! I'm a micro brew in a can! Woo hoo!" Feel is a little lighter than I'd want. Overall I have to drop the drinkability down because the hops are too harshly over-pronounced and it lacks balance. Sure, they are "pioneers" of sorts by putting a micro in a can, but that is not enough to save the production. It's what's in the can that counts.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Poured a light copper color with a little haze. Got a bout a half inch of head. Retention was great. lacing was good.

S - Hops are the major player in this beer. Comes across as a citrus hop aroma. With a little work I think I found a sweet aroma in the background (could be caramel malt).

T - Citrus hops really stand out but are balanced very well with a lingering bitterness. There is a sweet background that really adds to the experience in a good way. The balance of flavors is really good.

M - This one is medium to full bodied. Carbonation is on target. Finishes really dry, but that makes the beer even better.

D - This one was great (for a beer in a can). Glad I got to try it. If I get the chance...I will buy it again.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

I passed on this when recommended at one less beer-savvy store, simply due to the whole US-canned-beer thought. The next store was filled with beer-savvy experts, and they again highly recommended it-- SOLD.

Immaculate. Just think "grapefruit" and you'll be on the right track and in the right mood for this. In some ways, though, I'd put this in my "specialty" beers category-- a mood-beer.

In retrospect, however, I believe I might prefer the Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale to this beer.

A= colorful glowing orange-yellow-brown, with a massive sudsy head and lots of lacing that stayed until the end.

S= very exciting and complex nose, from the start-- floral bouquets, citrus, slight sweetness, all the other good stuff.

T= it brags on its ultra-hops but they are more of the pleasant-sour floral kind, not the ultra-bitter hops. Zesty grapefruit-taste with mild sweetness of honey, woody pine, slight smoky-ness, pleasant finish and after-belch.

M= lovely with no complaints whatsoever.

D= based upon its "modest for a great beer" 6.5ABV, and if you're in that sort of grapefruity mood, very drinkable in session. It's very drinkable-- but... only if you're in that mood. Think of it as that bench-player who you only call upon at "just the right time."

Reminds me a little of mid-Atlantic region Clipper City (Baltimore) Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, and some of Manny's Pale Ale out of Georgetown (near Seattle), Washington State.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew