Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,850 | Hads: 6,821
4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

I love beer in a can, if only more breweries did this...

Pours from the great looking can a slightly cloudy amber color with a nice head.

Aromas are pretty hoppy, some pine, and a bit of a sweet caramel like quality.

Taste is a bit subtle, but still quite good. There is a slightly sweet resin and caramel like flavor up front. Beer finishes with a touch of bitterness from the hops. This is a nice APA.

Mouthfeel is good, nice thick well rounded beer.

Drinkability is excellent. This is a great example of the style, I with this beer was available in CA, this would be my backpacking beer. Pack these cans in, and then pack them out.

Thanks a lot todd1 for sending me this, I want more!

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Slightly cloudy, amber color caps a thick, rocky head of foam with fantastic lacing.

Lots of pine on the nose, maybe a little flowery aroma. Little else adds to the mix. Smells like Spring.

Reminiscent of an English Pale Ale more than an AIPA. Very nice bitterness especially on the finish. Some astringency and tannins, but not a major problem.

Buttery smooth and decently balanced but a little cloying mouthfeel. Something a little drier is needed.

Generally a tasty beer and easily bests just about anything else in a can if you want to go backcountry with it or drink it on an airplane. Still, I can't say it's as good as some other AIPAs on the market, but only a notch below and probably because of personal tastes in the style. I'd certainly have it on hand to supply to guests and will drink it again anytime it's available.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a beer for hops fans! Color is a lovely dark honey brown with a nice thick head. Aroma is invitingly hoppy - one good whiff and you know this is no wussy brew. Flavor is strongly hoppy, and mouthfeel is zingy and tingly. I like hoppy beers, so I found this one to be very enjoyable.

3.44/5  rDev -12.5%

I'd never poured this into a glass before, and I was surprised by how nice it looks. Orangey amber, with continual very fine carbonation, thick foamy head that stayed the whole way down. Not a lot of lacing, but impressive.

Even in the glass, not a lot of aroma to this one. Vanilla, for sure. Actually it smells a lot like Tibetan butter tea, which is not a good thing. Bitter hoppy taste (and I'm surprised it's not more present in the nose! Why is that?) with a bit of the rancid butter thing going on, but it's more palatable on the tongue than in the nostril for some reason. Maybe because the hops balance it. It sure does go down smooth, though.

Note: Dale's is the only beer from outside NY state that is served at The Smoke Joint, the new awesome BBQ place in my neighborhood. Apparently it's the favorite beer of one of the owner/chefs, and, "if you can't have your favorite beer at your own restaurant, what's the point?"

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%

A nice toasty-orange hue to this one. Develops a decent, creamy, 1-finger head which dwindles to a skim over the top and good lacing. Aromas of faint fruit and a creamy vanilla sweetness are present. Nice, if subdued.

The taste however, smacks your taste-buds with tongue-quivering, hoppy goodness. A juicy, leafy and herbal presence is dominant with a bit of citrus and a thin, mineral edge. I poured this from a can?! Malts are biscuity and a vanilla sweetness is markedly interwoven making for a very fine compliment to the bitterness of the hops. Medium to light mouthfeel enhanced by a fine, even conditioning add to the drinkability.

Overall an impressive and very drinkable Pale Ale tipping a bit towards IPA territory. Being in a can adds some novelty to the experience, but this is a completely solid offering besides. As elegant as bottles are, you can’t argue with the practicality of cans and I hope to see more breweries canning in the future.

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a nice opaque orange amber color with a off white tight bubbled two finger head with a very easy pour. good retention, holding to a quarter inch and a nice sticky lace to the finish. smell is of floral, citrus, piney aromas. taste big bready malts folowed by slighty citrus bitterness ending with piney hops. drinkability is great but at 6.50 % abv i would have to watch how many i drink.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Clear amber with a big off-white head that craters and laces.
Smells mostly of aromatic piney hops.Some steel.
Hops hit very quickly with a bitter bite that lasts through to the finish.Sweet , almost buttery malts try to balance but the hops dominate this one. There's a bit of steel and a slight nutty flavor toward the end ...and a faint sulfur that is not unpleasant. Fairly clean finish with a semi dry bitter rindy aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is the high end of medium and the carbonation is moderate.
Pretty drinkable.

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%

12 oz. Can poured into a pint glass.

A: Deep orange in color. Dense white head pours two fingers thick with good retention. Nice sticky lacing crawls all over the glass.

S: Citrus fruit. Wet earth. Fresh bread. Sweet malts.

T: Grapefruit or citrus flavor with a wet or raw hop presence that gives off a soft bitter bite. Huge wave of sweet caramel malt muscles in and is followed by an earthy flavor. Finishes sweet with a fresh baked bread like aftertaste.

M: Smooth and medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Refreshing.

D: True session brew. A bit more sweet and malty than most of the pale ales I have tried, but highly quaffable none the less. Worth a try!

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up a six pack for $8.99 with some can redemption money. I've had the Gordon before and absolutely loved it so I was expecting it was going to pretty good. First impression was wow this is one pretty hopped up pale ale
and thats a good thing. I could definetly see myself picking up more six packs in the future and if the Gordon becomes more available along with a lower price they both could have full time spots in my fridge.

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Wow- wasn't expecting this type of taste out of a can. Maybe my scores are a little high because this suprises me so much. This is a solid beer, with a well balanced pale ale taste. Not to mention the poor out of the can is great as well. Cheers to this beer!

3.61/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz can -> pint
no date, but there is a code on the can:
6 09 23 B1 BA ? could be 9.23.2006

Pours of clear dark orange with a huge rocky slightly off white head. Chunky lace all over. Carbonation is constant and robust.

Nose: Malty nose, caramel, little hop

Strong caramel malt, with a refreshing light hop finish, that by the end of the can is dominated by the malt. I think this must be an old can, 6 months being pretty old for a 'hoppy' Pale Ale. Will try again when i can find a fresh can.

Mouthfeel is medium.

Pretty sure i need to try this again from a different source. Not that it is all that bad, just not what i would expect from a "huge vohminoulsly hopped mutha of a pale ale" I slightly heftier hop profile would lift this beer into the excellent category.

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

A good looking beer. Pours nicely into a glass with an amber color and average head. Medium amount of carbonation that isn't too much by any means. Smells pretty hoppy with that pine characteristic that I've come to love. Darn good taste and mouthfeel here that are somewhat surprising for me personally. I definitely enjoy this beer and could drink many if I had the chance. I'm glad I know where to find this because I'll probably be picking some up in the near future.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to trep for bringing this my way...12 oz. can into a tulip glass.

Pours a golden amber color, very appealing look with an ample amount of off-white head that leaves good lacing. Delivery from a can makes it all the more improbable and impressive. Aroma is full of caramel malts and big, piney hops. Well-balanced and enticing.

Taste is as good as the aroma, something I haven't often found to be true of pale ales. Same delicious balance of carmelized malts and foresty hops. Mouthfeel has a good carbonation level, it's juicy and crisp with an aftertaste that falls a bit flat but still succeeds for the style. Overall, this is definitely a drinkable beer. Goes down easy and keeps the senses entertained.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Was a bit skeptical at first considering the $8.49 price tag for a canned APA but came away quite impressed.

Poured a slightly hazy amber-orange color. Produced a classic tight, creamy beige head with excellent retention throughout the entire glass. Lots of clumpy foam islands and thick lacing.

A nicely balanced aroma which leaned slightly to the malts over the hops here. Smells of caramel candy, biscuits and honey backed by more subdued notes of orange rind, grapefruit and pine needles.

Mouthfeel was full and round for the style, more like a bigger IPA. Nicely done fine carbonation.

Taste profile flips from the aroma seeming to favor the hops more. Citrus and pine predominate supported by mildly sweet flavors of crystal malts, caramel, fresh bread and honey. Finish was crisp, quite bitter and dry.

This is one hefty APA; more like an American IPA in all respects. The OB’s beers are certainly a bit pricey but so far for me this one’s a winner and worth the $$$.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Served slightly chilled in a pint glass from a can. l still can't believe good beer can come from a can! Poured a somewhat hazy, reddish auburn color. About one good finger of tight frothy head rose from the glass. Head dissipated rather quickly and left little lace. Smell: Hops! Tons of hops in here. Plenty of citrus (Grapefruit, orange, maybe some lemon zest.) Tasted again of bitter hops, balanced out nicely by the sweet malt. Tons of citrus and pine here. Very nice flavor. Moderate amount of carbonation. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and well balanced. Drinkibility was great. Will definitely get more. One of my new favorites.

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Orange and red body, somewhat transparent and cloudy. Clumping, sticky off-white mostly creamy head with a few medium bubbles. Really good retention and clumps of lace.
Classic pale ale scent of straw, hops, citrus and abit of pine. Peppered butter and abit of light ryebread.
Grained hop flavor with some malt notes but not alot comes through. Aftertaste is a spiked pine hop rush that lasts well.
Fairly full bodied but does not leave much coating.
Pretty good drinkability.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

I know, I know the "thing" about this beer is that it's in a can. And I went and had it on draft...

Anyway, it was suprizingly tasty, especially for a pale ale. Nice color, good appearance, very expressive nose. The taste was the selling point - a whole lot of hops going on, but they are well balanced and compliment each other nicely. Extremely drinkable, at least for a hophead such as myself. Can't wait to track it down in cans...

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

I'm not afraid to say it, I prefer bottles to cans. I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of each specifically, but I do know that opening a bottle has a better sound than a can. Once I pour it into a pint glass though, it looks much better. There is a thick white head on a crystal clear amber body. There is a surprising caramel aroma that is actually more powerful than the piney hop aroma. The caramel flavor is very present in the flavor as well. The initial flavor is mostly caramel and biscuity and then the hop bitterness comes in to play. The bitterness isn't accompanied by any real hop flavor though, so the balance seems off and it is really bothering me. Also, according to the BJCP, APA's shouldn't have much caramel flavor. Going with the "Style be dammed" train of thought, I would have to say that the only thing I can hold against this beer is the hop imbalance, but I'm not crazy about it.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

Serving Type- 12oz Can (Haven't put that down in quite a while)

A- As I opened the can I kinda thought that pouring this beer outta a can might ruin the pour, but it did quite well. Nice foamy egg shell colored head that laced the glass nicely. Great crystal clear copper color.

S- Nice rich malts dominate this one right off the bat. I was kind of expecting some big hops, but I was glad that it wasn't a big hop monster. Getting some nice orange and caramel, and just a bit of American hops.

T- Great malty beer! Nice balance! Way better then I could have imagined! Rich caramel, Butternut squash, Orange peel, Grapefruits. Super balance of hops and malts.

M- Rich and creamy, medium carbonation, with a nice viscosity.

D- Now this is where I have a problem. l really like this beer and could see it becoming a regular rotation in my daily beer fridge, but the price isn't so nice. At $8.50 per 6 pack it is a bit pricey so I guess I'll just have to keep on brewing myself till i become as good as this beer is!

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%

Ahh, my first canned beer in years, I was a bit nervous how the taste would hold up versus a bottle. I was very happy with the results. First off I did not think the can would pour as well as it did. Beautiful rich orange color, with lots of haze, and visible streams of carbonation coming up from the bottom. Big white, frothy head slowly faded to leave about a half inch that stayed until the end. Big time sticky lace all down the glass. Smell was very crisp, lots of citrus flavors and some hints of grass or fresh leaves. As it warmed some more grain and earthy bread like smells became apparent. The taste was very light, crisp, refreshing. This beer absolutly screamed sessionable at me, could drink this year round anytime of day, was perfect with dinner(ham) and just very enjoyable. Taste was predominantly the hoppy side, grapefruit and pineapple as well as hints at some pine freshness. This was balanced out very nicely with hints at grain and yeast flavors. I actually detected a bit of green apple too which was very nice. Big dry finish with a long lingering bitter aftertaste made this a keep. I was very happy with this brew and will not shy away from the can. I actually think more beer could be in cans, as it seemed to make for a better pour, and shipping and storage were much easier. Overall a winner and looking forward to trying the rest of the line.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

a - pours a deep amber/burnt orange, two-finger billowy off-white head, good retention and lacing, fairly clear

s - good balance of orange and peach scented citrusy hops and a biscuity, yeasty maltiness

t - sweet citrusy hops up front with a prominent orange flavor, body is dominated by a biscuity maltiness, finish is a mild bitterness with no alcohol evident

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, pretty dry finish

d - fairly drinkable, easy drinking though the dryness of the finish hits the palate pretty hard

Good APA all around. Well balanced taste that keeps you drinking. Well worth trying.

Photo of
3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

12oz. can

Moderately hazy, dark orange/tan in color. Large, ivory colored, creamy head.

Scent seemed rather subdued. I picked up pine and crackers. Not much else.

Taste turned it up a bit. Peaches & honey, floating in a sea of hops - pine resin. Nice balance, but hops win the day. Biscuity support. Pepper at finish.

Medium bodied. Medium to high carbonation - to me, they could tone it down just a bit. Almost biting. Fairly dry.

Overall, I enjoyed it very much. If the ABV was closer to 5%, this would be a fantastic session beer. As it stands, I will just have to enjoy shorter sessions! A nicely hopped pale ale.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass straight from the can. It had a nice rich amber color with a foamy head of about 2 inches. The aroma was a mix of floral and citrus. The taste was very surprising considering it was from a can. A nice big hoppy flavor that would satisfy the hop heads. I had a couple of these and it’s one I will go back to. I was told by the owner (Frank) of the bar I was visiting (Pitchers Pub) that this would soon be on tap. I’ll be looking forward to it.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Orange amber color with a big frothy white head. Sticky trails of lacing on my glass. Smell of some piney hops and a solid grainy background. The hops gives a burst of taste up front that is quickly covered by the malty grainy taste. Taste finishes dry with some hop bitterness. The hops on the finish is a little on the bitey side and not just that solid piney note that i love. At 6.5% this is too drinkable. The cans make it portable too, making it the perfect swing oil for a round of golf. A nice one that will compete with Sly Fox Pale Ale when I'm looking for a cans.

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

The appearance was very good. It poured a clear dark amber. 3/4 inch head of very dense bubbles that stuck around. Each sip left a blanket of lace that pulled back into the head within a few moments.

The smell was simple but good. Piney hop resin and citrus oils.

The taste was surprisingly hoppy for what is labeled as a pale ale. Upfront taste of grapefruit rind and citrus oils. Pine resins as well. This is followed by a slightly sweet malt background with a grainy aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is slick with hop oil . Medium bodied with some slightly biting carbonation.

Very drinkable. Just enough of a hop profile to make it interesting, but not as numbing to the palate as most American IPA's are today. Even though this is supposed to be a pale ale, I'd sooner call it an English IPA.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew