Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros

3.96/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a can of Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale a few days ago at for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I have never had anything from Oskar Blues before so since they just started shipping their beers to Michigan I thought I would check out their lineup, so I'll start with their Pale Ale and work my way up. lets see how it goes. Canned on 2/21/14 so it's fairly fresh. Poured from a 12oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label has a pretty clean and classic look to it, I like it, I think it looks nice and it has a slight retro look to it. It poured a nice and slightly darker golden yellow color that took on a slight amber hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a good looking American Pale Ale, and I really liked that they clearly print the canning date on the bottom on the can, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some grainy and bready malts that have a really slight toffee like aroma to it. Up next comes a 50/50 mixture of earthy and citrus hopes that impart earthy hop aromas along with some grapefruit and some slight pineapple aromas. This beer has a pretty good aroma, its balanced nicely and the citrus hops stick out just enough to grab my attention, I like it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some grainy and bready malt flavors. After that comes the hops which still retain that 50/50 mixture of earthy and citrus hops with a pretty high amount of medium bitterness with a sweet malt and resiny hop aftertaste. This beer tasted good, it had a nice balance of malt and hop flavors, but the hops lent just a little more bitterness than I would have liked, I still enjoyed it though and I thought it was on the border of being an American IPA.

M- Not the smoothest, clean, a little refreshing, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied, and it had a a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I think the bitterness didn't make it that smooth and it was a little on the thick side for the style, it's still nice but it could be better.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a good example of an American Pale Ale, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style, but it seemed to be right on the border of the style and it was pretty close to an IPA, i have had more than a few IPA's that were much less bitter. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't that smooth because it was a little overly bitter, but the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, so I could myself drinking a couple of these, but it's not the type of APA that I could drink all day during the summer, the bitterness is a little to high for that. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty good and I thought it had nice balance to it. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of bitterness, if the bitterness was toned down like a normal APA it would really help the drinkability. I might buy this beer again, but it isn't something that I feel the need to rush out to the store and buy more, but it's for sure worth the price and I would recommend giving it a try if you like APA's and IPA's. All in all i wasn't wowed with this beer, but I thought it was pretty solid for the style and it was fairly enjoyable, but with a couple adjustments I could see this being a great session Pale Ale. This made for a nice first impression of Oskar Blues and i'm interested too see what the rest of their beers are like, it's always nice when good brewery's starts to distribute here, welcome to Michigan Oskar Blues.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

4.24/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Can into glass

A - Perfectly clear copper, pours a large head that becomes rocky as it recedes, ends up with a ring around glass and thin layer of head in center. Lacing is moderate.

S - Not a ton of smell, what you would expect from an APA. Sweet malt, floral, a touch of hops and citrus

T - Taste is bold and very impressive for an APA. Starts with hops, grapefruit, and lemon (A great surprise with all the hops, did not expect it from the nose). Malt finish along with a hint of floral balances it out nicely. Balanced malt/floral/hop flavor stays in mouth

M - Body is a bit heavier than average for a APA, with low carbonation

O - Really impressed! Has the drinkability of an APA with some explosive flavors you may expect in an IPA. 6.5% ABV hidden very well

4.26/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- pours an amber-orange color, silty hazy with a medium cream colored head that reduces to a thin layer skimming the top.

S- sweet, bready and buttery malt with some toffee. Citrus and floral hops, quite complex for an APA.

T- sweet doughy malt with some caramel notes, fruity esters with some floral hops on the linger, the finish is somewhat dry and provides a toasted malt finish

M- medium body, moderate carbonation with a velvety mouthfeel and creamy finish. High drinkability.

O- for the style, this is superb. Well balanced and very easy drinking, really like the maltiness of this one.

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

A- Pours a dark honey, slightly hazy body with a big 3" fluffy white head that reduces slowly to some thick cloudy foam clouds. A little lacing.

S- Lacking in this department. Pine and citrus dominate, but it smells very one dimensional.

T- More like an IPA than a pale ale, big pine and resin notes sitting on a hoppy citrus and big bready malt backbone.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation. Pretty drinkable with minimal aftertaste.

I could put away a few of these during a good night of drinking, but it wouldn't be the first one I'd grab off the shelf in terms of taste. Good for the price, and drinkable for 6.5 abv, but middle of the road nonetheless.

From tasting notes. Growler filled at Casanova, Hudson, WI.

I thought the nose on this was piney with a nice clean malt presence. Taste had a nice hop presentation of resin and citrus, a bit more pine forward in my opinion, good level of bitterness. The malt was present but unobtrusive. Medium body, holds together well. Drinks clean and finishes slightly bitter. Nice all-around APA.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew