Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.55/5  rDev -8.7%

I have had this beer before, but don't remember much about it. I do like they only can. We are going to see several breweries doing that in the coming months/years. It is cheaper to can, they can do it faster, and the beer generally tastes better. You can't really cellar a beer in a can, but for something that you plan to buy and drink right away, might as well be in a can. They also weigh less allowing them to ship more cheaper. An IPA and a pale ale will taste much better, too. Basically it is good for everyone involved!

I am looking forward to this one. I could smell the hops before I was even done pouring the beer… which is a good sign for a hop head. Let's see what this pale tastes like. Bottoms up!

In the Glass: It looks like a pale ale. It has a nice rich copper color to it. Almost like a fresh new penny would look. Speaking of pennies, do they still make those? Anyway, I hope this doesn't smell and/or taste like a penny. The beer also leaves a nice thin white head on top with a weak lace. Hoping this chugs.

Nose: Is there a pine tree in the glass? The aroma is LOADED with pine needles. The tasting notes said there was some citrus, and I am not getting much of that. This smells like a good IPA over a pale ale. The IBU isn't there, but the aroma packs a punch. This is what a pale is supposed to smell like. I just hope it tastes as good.

Flavor: The flavor is not as impressive as I expected. I did pour this into glass, but all beer should be poured into a glass. If you can, the glassware that the beer was intended for. Just hit up any Total Wine & More. Grab a Total Guide To Beer and you can learn all about glassware. I will get there, but the mouthfeel and the aftertaste are what make this beer good. The flavor, at first, is weak and I am worried there will be no hop complexity. Then it hits, but it lingers into a nice, dry aftertaste. Let's start with the mouthfeel.

Mouthfeel: At first, it seems thick. Then it thins out and as you swallow the hops really come alive. The pine I am smelling isn't there on the palate, and that's OK. The dryness that is left over makes up for that. It also has a nice burp that I didn't expect. Sheryl is sitting over there saying, "Pretty boring." Yeah, it is. But it wasn't intended to shock you. It was intended to be a straight forward, simple yet enjoyable pale ale. Maybe my palate is getting spoiled…

Aftertaste: This is the best part of this beer. The aftertaste lasts for a good three minutes. For a beer that is readily available and is somewhat affordable, you might not expect such an impressive aftertaste. It hangs on, and like I said… there is a nice burp on this one. I like drinking gin because I like the dry aftertaste. This is leaving me a similar aftertaste a good gin might. It is dry, but is basically asking me to drink again.

I won't go crazy over this beer, and I would order it again if there wasn't much left to choose from. But the flavor profile lacks for a beer that is considered this brewery's best. While I am writing this, a few people are chatting about it on Google+. It's good, but not great. Buy this 6 at a time, pass a few around, and share a nice, easy drinking pale ale. Make sure you recycle the can!

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%

Canned (9/21/12) to HFS sniffer

A: Orange to amber color with a tan t brown head that goes away quickly it is almost completely translucent

S: There is smells of tropical melon and hops with hints of malt in there too but definitely hop forward I have had it a little fresher and its more pungent smell so ill give it the benefit of the the doubt

T: Very hop forward flavor that is almost sweet, which is what I like when it comes to pale ale , but there is definitely some malt to balance things out. The finish however has that hop bitterness that comes out and stays around for a while enough to mess with the palate which speaks to how hoppy this thing is.

M: smooth and oily thin for how hoppy it is there is a mild carbonation but it suits the feel well very drinkable beer.

O: I really like this pale ale it is one of my go to's for a party/session beer and it will do the trick fast while tasting great which is exactly what I want for a beer in that purpose. Outside of that its still a really solid pale ale that I highly recommend you try if you haven't already.

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite every day beer.

1st, I love the can movement.
a) It's better aeration, better light protection,
b) better for environment. (Cans being infinitely and 100% recyclable and lower energy to recycle than glass, and cheaper by far to transport and store.).
c) Better for outdoors whether kayaking or gardening or walking.

What's a beer without the outdoors?

2nd - This is a beer that makes no apologies for being an original APA. Close to an IPA, but more amber, citruis, piney, and more beautifully copper colored and tasty like a new penny.

Appearance - One of the most beautiful colors and laced heads.
Smell - Everything I expect from the outdoors in a can.
taste - Original cross between IPA and pale ale, distinctly american and unapologetic, I feel like I respect the makers like I respect Steve Jobs.
Feel - rich, full, right for the afternoon and the outdoors. After cutting the lawn, after kayaking 2 hours.

Overall - a 5 for me because it's my go-to beer.

Whole foods NJ offers a 10% discount when you buy a mixed case.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%