Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
BeerSox

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz can into nonic.

Thick, dense, and frothy two finger head that settles to a thin cap, leaving behind a wall of webby lacing.

Sharp hops are in the aroma, lending strong citrus flavors with a bit of spiciness. The malts add a little bit of a sweet sugary aroma.

Bready malts in the background, givng a base to the hops, which provide a light spice as well as a strong amount of bitterness. Full bodied. The finish is the lingering hops.

Always one of my favorite American Pale Ales. Just the right amount, and mix, of hops. Recommended.

11-22-2008 23:37:13 | More by BeerSox
tadowdaddy

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Really surprised me for a can pour. Clear copper color with nice off white head. Left a nice lacing on the side of the glass. More carbonated than I would have expected.

S- A tinge of citrus hops and a well balanced malty scent.

T- Impressed. I didn't think that this beer would be as impressive as it was. A nicely balanced canned beer. Initial burst of citrus like hops followed by a nice mellowing maltiness. Not really bitter at all.

M- Great mouthfeel. A bit thicker than I expected, leaves a nice crisp aftertaste.

D- Very easy to drink. I could drink these all the time. Perfect for a tail gate type atmosphere.

Thanks aubuc1!

11-22-2008 19:13:23 | More by tadowdaddy
Redrover

I had this one at the Abilene bar in Rochester. What a great tavern!

Poured into a glass, the beer is a clear copper with a tan head. Awesome lacing!

Nice aroma of pine citrus and crackers. Clean, fresh and well done.

Taste is slightly bitter with resins, grapefruit, and malts. The beer is not a one trick pony as it is well balanced and a very easy drinker with lots going for it.

The mouth has decent heft and a trace of oiliness. I wish this one was available at home to take on the boat!

11-20-2008 20:09:43 | More by Redrover
daledeee

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Beer in a can is making a comeback??

Poured this with a bright dark golden orange and clear. The head was medium and lace was forever. Nose is citrus and hops.

Taste is medium hops with citrus and a little sweet. Someone dry or astringent at the end. Very nice beer that is easy to drink.

11-20-2008 01:34:31 | More by daledeee
tempest

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Appears darker than your average pale ale, clear amber with a white head and good lacing.

The aroma has a light toffee and sweet bread background with big, sharp grapefruit. The hops take over with a crisp, near ripping bitterness and citrus rind for a very full hops flavor that's more on-par with an IPA (this beer does have 65 IBU's afterall). The aftertaste is long lasting with the juicy, bitter citrus flavors. This isn't a beer you'd soon forget. A must-try for hops lovers.

11-17-2008 13:45:31 | More by tempest
Dipper1234

For six months I have been debateing on trying this beer. To be honest, what held me back was that it was premium priced and in a can. "How good good it be in a can?". Finally one day I decided to give it a try and not expecting much.
Well, needless to say I was shocked. The first second this beer hit my lips, I knew that I was tasting something special. I was honestly shocked on how good this was.
A pleasant start, with a creamy hoppy smooth finish... AHHHH!!! A near perfect taste of a beer.
By far, the best beer I have ever had out of a can. I don't drink this from the can anymore, a pint glass is what I prefer.
Don't be afraid of the can. Try this beer, it is awesome!

11-17-2008 01:48:29 | More by Dipper1234
seanh99

4.33/5  rDev +11%

I am on vacation and my wife and friends were looking at me popping open a can of beer dumbfounded. Baaa drinl your wine and leave me alone!

A- Upon opening I thought it was a bit flat then it started coming out the top like a nitro can.
Poured a deep copper with a full tan head. good head retention and nice lacing of the glass.

S- Hoppy plus malt, a bit sweet and I am a bit stuffy today so thats all...

T- MMM Mmmmm! It was not really cold and it was good. I liked the maltiness in the background in addition to the hoppiness that is what is expected with this

M- Carbonation was less than expected with the head, really smoothe and almost creamy.

D- A bit higher than anticipated, I am already thru 2 and it is not even 4:30 in the afternoonI may have found a new go to for the fall.

11-16-2008 21:24:33 | More by seanh99
ejquin

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Nice thick head, and golden brown.

S: Oskar Blue's brews seem to have this distinct hop/malt aroma. Kind of a musty juicy salty caramel malt. I actually like it a lot.

T/M: Good mouthfeel, taste, again is very unique to me and folows the nose. A nice hop presence, and a lot of malt which is nice and helps to belance.

11-15-2008 01:46:20 | More by ejquin
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

355ml can. D.P. Eh? A perfect sentiment for this Canuck visitor, I'd say.

This beer pours a glassy medium golden copper amber hue, with two fat fingers of densely foamy, bubbly off-white head, which leaves a decent array of hovering rain cloud lace around the glass as it slowly ebbs out of sight.

It smells of sweet candied orange and grapefruit citrus, caramel toffee malt, a decent dose of pine resin, a hint of dry honey, and a mildly medicinal alcohol astringency. The taste is more semi-sweet grapefruit and orange fleshy fruitiness, a sturdy bready caramel malt backbone, fading forest floor pine notes, and a small floral perfumed booze warmth.

The carbonation is fairly understated, yet generally supportive, the body a hefty medium weight, and rather smooth, without invasive peril. It finishes on the more or less sweet side, and from both angles, as the hops and malt both contribute equally to this late cause.

Overall, this beer is quite big on flavour, even if that seems to be an excuse to push it to the IPA brink and hover. A prototypical version of an APA with hopes and dreams of style escalation, but still one mired in the adulation of its current station - oh, shoot. Still the best canned beer that I've had in recent memory.

11-13-2008 23:33:47 | More by biboergosum
Poser

Alabama

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful-looking beer. Golden brown color with a thick frothy top. Aroma is a little mild but citrus and malty. Citrus flavors with a hop profile there from start to finish, although still managing to be balanced. The rougher side of medium-bodied with a perfect amount of carbonation.

11-13-2008 00:18:52 | More by Poser
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

3.9/5  rDev 0%

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Nice dark golden honey color. Good, thick tan head with excellent retention and excellent lacing, to boot.

Big pine resin presence in the nose. A little bit of grapefruitey/citrusey notes. A nice wheat smell. Decent malt appearance, here, suprisingly. Slight sweet breads.

Breakfast rolls laced with caramel, sitting in a small pine tree. Hops presence is here, though not as over-dominating as I'd imagined from the nose. Kiss of citrus/grapefruit.
Nice touches of floral notes. Some very nice malt sweetness, for a tiny bit of balance.

Clean, crisp carbonation level. Feels more akin to a DIPA than an APA, to me, but that's not a complaint. Nice and smooth and a good level of creaminess.

Drinkability is very good. Hops are not my thing, in general, so I'd purchase other things more frequently than this. Although I would gladly put this one into the purchasing rotation schedule.

11-11-2008 19:13:03 | More by coldmeat23
beerthulhu

A: Poured a dirty coppery-orange with light marzen highlights. A modest 2 finger creamy, ivory-bone colored head sits atop displaying good retention while leaving a spiderweb like lacing on the way down. Visible carbonation appeared fairly strong.

S: The nose had a big, fresh citrusy nature to it, with some some bready malting. Fresh pine and sweet caramel also linger about.

T: spicy citrus hops of fresh pine brought about by a brisk and strong carbonation factor. Sweet caramel, bready with some piney hops make for a classic example. I thought I detected faint traces of my favorite C hop Columbus in there as well giving off a pungent flowery taste. Classic by example, crisp with a big dose of hopping.

M: crisp, well carbonated with a lively carbonation bringing out the bright citrusy nature of this drink and leaving a nice tingly sensation behind.

D: A crisp, lively and very drinkable APA that is conviently packaged in a can that enchances transportability while not hindering drinkability or flavor. Six pack worthy.

11-09-2008 13:05:08 | More by beerthulhu
Mauerhan

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

pours a golden orange with a moderate two finger fluffy white head. that settles on top. stays nicely for a minute or so. moderate lacing.

smells good. a nice balance of subtle sweet malt and fresh piney/ grassy hops.

taste is good. not to complex. just a simple tasty pale ale. the thing i like about this beer is it doesn't try to be something that it isn't, that in and of itself makes this a solid selection for me.

mouth is a bit thin but good. not overbearing with the carbonation. but it plays nicely with my mouth as i finish the last sip.

i would drink this again. not sure it would be my first choice on a pale ale but i wouldn't think twice about reaching for one.

11-09-2008 04:08:18 | More by Mauerhan
spointon

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

I poured this one from a 12oz can into a shaker pint glass.

A= This ale poured a cloudy dark orange color with a beautiful 1" creamy white head. The head showed incredible retention, never dropping below 1/4" and it left huge sheets of sticky lace down the glass.

S= This ale smelled of strong pine and citrusy hops, lemon grass, and a strong biscuity malt backbone. Some nice fruity esters in there too.

T= This was very much like an IPA as opposed to a traditional pale ale. The taste profile started out all pine and citrus hops followed closely by lots of biscuity malts which balanced the brew nicely. The estery yeast was fruity and delicious. The finish was mildly alcoholic and pleasantly bitter.

MF= Medium bodied, but very full for a mere APA. The body felt more like a big IPA or a thin DIPA to me. The carbonation was crisp and lifted the feel considerably.

D= Very drinkable, very sessionable. This is a really freaking good pale ale and one I will gladly seek out again!

11-08-2008 03:59:43 | More by spointon
kirok1999

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Damn, what a great session beer. Pours a beautifully clear light copper with a nice amount of head.
Smell is very hoppy yet with a huge malt presence. Damn massive for just a pale ale.
Taste is sweet and biscuty. Very malty, rich and dense. So easy to drink.

11-08-2008 01:36:50 | More by kirok1999
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

A very good beer that lives up to the hype. The tap delivers a well-carbonated copper hue with firm, froathy head formation and great retention- lots of lacing on the glass. A mild has persists, likely from dry-hopping. Aromas of abundant hops- a lot of grapefruit, orange zest, pine, and lemon grass. A firm malt backbone follows with low-lying sweetness and hints of bready crusts. Low fruitiness from esters and low phenolics. Flavors bring about a crisp malty flavor with low sweetness (only to balance). The hops are definately showcased with a burst of flavors like those found in the nose. The malts round out the hops with light fruitiness (kinda English-like only better attenuated). The body is medium, yet firm with a crisp, malty snappyness. Finishes with a clean, dry, hoppy note. On par with Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale.

11-06-2008 21:24:23 | More by BEERchitect
sholland119

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

A-Pours a clear orange amber with a fluffy white head and some nice lacing.

S-Citrusy hops with some floral hop notes and some nice maltiness.

T-Good malt in the front with a very strong citrus hop bite in the finish.

M-Light and crisp, moderately dry with good carbonation.

D-Extremely sessionable, a great beer.

HV

11-06-2008 02:23:12 | More by sholland119
daythree16

Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Sipped from the can (couldn't resist), then poured into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy amber with a one finger head. Tons of lace.

Nice buttery, floral, piney hop aromas. Taste is good and sticky, with piney hop flavors, a little diacetyl and a great bitterness. A really well balanced pale ale.

Medium bodied with awesome drinkability.

11-04-2008 01:09:44 | More by daythree16
BeerMark

Alabama

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brewery pours a very nice dark deep amber color with a fluffy 2 finger head. This beer has a great hoppy and malty aroma. Carbonation is perfect. While the beer has all the typical APA flavor with malt, hops, and citrus, I must point out that its main strength lies in its balance of all three. I find it to be very pleasing on the tongue with an almost creamy texture. Most interesting. It's the best beer in a can I've ever tasted although I had mine in a glass. A must try.

10-29-2008 09:33:42 | More by BeerMark
paco1029384756

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a semi cloudy light orange color with a small head and decent lacing.

Scent of caramel malts, hops, and citrus. Simple and sweet, I like it.

Taste of bready malts, subtle hops, citrus and some sugars cut the slight edge. A nice, solid, well balanced American Pale Ale.

Mouthfeel light, but somewhat oily, I would prefer this to be a bit sharper.

If this stuff were half the price I would but it by the case; it's not bad by any means, just not spectacular.

10-28-2008 00:37:11 | More by paco1029384756
Meandmymonkey

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Should be kept in the can but if poured, you'll see a nice amber/orange color. The can really masks the smell of sweet, sweet hops but you'll get a whiff when you drink it. This doens't seem to be a very complicated pale ale but that doesn't make it a less impressive brew. Oskar Blues defintiely doesn't get the respect they deserve. This is a great beer. One of my top five pales. Pack it in, pack it out. Word!

10-22-2008 15:45:45 | More by Meandmymonkey
maximum12

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Moose3285 - yeah, you - thanks for sending me my first taste of Dale's, compadre, in another fine trade.

The "Appearance" category gets some huge props for the "Pack it in, pack it out" message on the back of the can. Being a devotee of the Boundary Water Canoe area here in the northland, I'm a promoter of exactly that credo. Kudos to the brewer.

Interesting beer. Defintely doesn't fit the style; some hops but not enough; not that clean, crips taste; more like an organice IPA, with that musty leaf taste I always associate with either unfiltered or organic beers. That said, the muddled taste is appealing & horrifically easy to drink. I could see downing these one after another next to the barbie.

All in all a beer that would never get kicked to the curb in this house.

10-22-2008 01:08:34 | More by maximum12
jvande7

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

I am in love with this beer. It's not available in my state but I make sure to grab a 12 pack whenever I'm up in Wisconsin, and I always drink it when I got to Colorado. The main reason I'm writing this is to remind any would-be naysayers to TRY THIS BEER IN THE CAN. Don't pour it into a glass. You heard me. I know most beers are meant for glassware and taste better that way but in my opinion, some beers are better out of the can/bottle. Not many, but there are some. And this is one of them.

A couple of my favorite Dale's moments- drinking a cold can of Dale's in the A-Basin parking lot during snowboarding, drinking a cold can of Dale's on a hike at Estes National Park (yes I packed my trash out).

I've also been to the brewery in Lyons, CO. Very cool place. This is hands down my favorite pale ale.

Sorry this isn't a "proper" review but there are MANY below to read. Thanks.

10-21-2008 19:31:23 | More by jvande7
ncbeermonger

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

I took one last tubing trip down the Mighty Dan River, and man am i glad I had this beer to accompany me!

This beer comes in a can, it is the ONLY pale ale I can find around here that comes in a can, so it was a must have for this day long trip down the river! Glass and rivers are a bad combination!

I was very surprised by the taste of a canned beer! This beer is exceptional especially when you think about how long it has been stored in metal!
Usually the only metal I want my beer touching is the inside of a keg, the end of a draught line, or a woman's tongue ring....

This beer was outstanding and exceeded expectations! Dales pale Ale you have a fan in me!!!

10-15-2008 18:49:07 | More by ncbeermonger
mtnbikerpa

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

One of the best beers I have had in a can. For the record I am a big hophead. Very reasonable price for a great beer. Citrus, sticky, piney hop notes on the first sip of the hazy orange small headed pour. Great chilled for about a half hour in the fridge, nice drinkable nature, not to harsh able to have a good session.

10-13-2008 19:43:27 | More by mtnbikerpa