Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,816 | Hads: 6,623
3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Pours a copper color with 2 fingers of head that fades down to a cap that laves some decent lacing

S: Earthy and lightly fruity hops up front, along with a solid malt backing. A little lacking

T: Starts off with the hops, which are again earthy and moderately fruity. Definitely a little more intense than the nose. Malts back up the hops nicely. Finishes with light/moderate bitterness with a light sweetness

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A solid pale ale with great balance that goes down very well, especially for pushing the abv limits of an IPA. Certainly a standard for the style (608 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L (4) -Nice coloration, nice little head on top.

S (4.25) - Good smell to this one. Not especially overwhelming, but you wouldn't expect this.

T (3.5) -Taste . . . this beer tastes good. Not great. I mean it's uncomfortably bitter. And not the typical alpha acid hop bitter. Just kinda bitter bitter. Not unpleasant, but not a good taste.

F (4) - Carb is what a pale ale should be. Smooth, drinkable.

O (3.75) - I was excited for this one, but it fell short. Kinda like a lot of Oskar's beers. I mean, it's better than average, and I would drink it again. But it is not a "must have" for my cellar. (613 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

At first this great example of North Carolina beer took the air out of my lungs and made my boy hoods sting. But after the second drink I realized just how good this beer is. As this almost green liquid rolls down your throat it feels like a hard day working in the mountains of North Carolina. It is rough just like the Old North state but like this Beautiful you really have to sit down and take your time to enjoy it. I was 12 when I first drink this, a little clean shaven boy not ready for what I had acquired. But once I finished this beautiful blue can I had a lush over flowing beard and was wearing a flannel and holding an axe. This beer will make a man out of you (674 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Disclaimer poured from a January 2014 batch drank 1 yr later. Darker and cloudier than expected. Has an adjunct + pale ale smell, not great. Thick and honey flavored. Sticks to the back of your throat and goes bitter. (217 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best pale ale I have had. The can preserves all of the flavors perfectly. I think this is more of an IPA than a pale ale but who cares? Excellent use of flavoring hops which is what's missing in this style. (209 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned on 12/17/14. Poured into a mug at about 45 degrees. Pours clear dark golden-copper with 2 fingers of nearly white head which dissipates quickly to a thin film with flecks of lacing around the glass. Smell is dank west coast hops with a mild floral tone and fresh baked biscuits. Smell is similar to Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA, but with somewhat less complexity. Carbonation is medium, and this adds to the body nicely. Mouth feel is medium, and seems a bit thicker than most other pale ales I've tried. Taste is robust alpha acid-rich hops and mild sweetness. It is extremely well balanced as far as hop-bitterness to malt sweetness goes. Overall, it's a bit on the bitter side as far as the style goes, but that is precisely why this is one of my favorite pale ales. If you like the American pale ale style, this will probably be a top-notch in your books. (881 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the can into a snifter.
Pours a deep clear amber with one finger of head.
Not particularly aromatic, standard mix of hop and malt aromas.
Tastes relatively straightforward. Standard APA, with malt forward.
Finsihes fine with good lingering bitterness.
Overall, it's fine. (283 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Look: Dark amber, clear, with full head (poured from 12 oz can) that quickly settles down.
Smell: Not much going on there Bready, a bit of apricot.
Taste: Very balanced, no surprises, but can't think of a flaw. Happily drink as a go to beer. (241 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

While my score may not be above 4, this is an above ave APA. I am a big Oskar Blues fan...all their beers are solid for each style. This pale ale is awesome on a hot summer day by the pool. Very sessionable with good flavor. If you search, you will find the malts, hops but not too much even on the mild side, and various flavors of citrus, pine and sweet caramel, with a small bite of bitterness...but more easiness going down than bitter. *** I am adding this on. This is now my favorite summer beer in a can to take to the beach, to the community pool, etc. awesome APA to pick up at the local grocery store. *** (615 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a stovepipe 1 Pint 3.2 ounce can into a shaker pint glass, canned on 12-30-14, this may be the freshest beer I ever had not direct from the brewery.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear copper color with 1 finger off-white head that quickly dissipated to a thin broken layer of bubbles, this beer has higher level of carbonation for the style, there was a considerable amount of lacing on the glass.

SMELL: flowers, pine, bread, subtle on the nose.

TASTE: initially sweet caramel then a mild piney hop profile, there was some citrus notes as well.

PALATE: medium body and higher carbonation.

OVERALL: this is a good beer and reasonably priced at $3.99, it's almost an IPA with the hop profile, I prefer SN Pale Ale but this was enjoyable. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys pale ale or IPA. (811 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Pours a clear deep amber producing a billowy 3+ finger, offwhite, lasting head that leaves webs, streaks & rings of clumpy lacing. Aroma is heady sweet caramel malt with floral, pine & citrus hops. Taste is a toasty caramel malt balanced with pine resin & citrus rind & pith hop bitterness, only slight deviation from start to finish but bitterness becomes high octane immediately after the finish & dominates the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, clean, silky & smooth. Drying in the aftertaste. A simple straightforward IPA that is called a pale ale. (585 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

Deep amber colored with excellent clarity. A fingernail of off white head leaves Brussels lacing. Delicate aroma of piney hops takes a backseat in comparison to the toasted nutty accented malt. The flavor is a nice blend of the light to nutty malt flavor and the gentle piney hop note. The body is light,very smooth,and very dry. (332 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Light bright color with nice off white head
S: Citrus and pine.
T: Front is slight sweetness, middle strong pine & grapefruit citrus, bitter, crisp dry spicy finish with lingering sweetness on the tong.
M: medium body, moderate carbonation
O: Pleasant, refreshing, not filling, not amazing but very drinkable. Could be considered a minimalist ipa. Outstanding. My favorite pale. (382 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This was served in a 19 ounce can, believe it or not. I poured it into a pint glass and it made a decent head. It is reasonably hopped, but not as hop heavy as many IPAs (or APAs for that matter). I would buy it again, especially if I can find that extra large can. Update: had it on tap locally and it tasted even better. Bumped it up a little for taste. (355 characters)

All american pale ale. Not much else to say other then if you don't like it at first, give it a second chance. If you still don't like it after that .. Clearly your taste buds can't handle the bitter bomb. (205 characters)

This beer is my woman and I's session beer. First time I had it I wasn't a fan but as I got more and more, I kept coming back. This ain't your average pale ale. It's bong bong. I'll drink this anytime, anywhere. If you haven't got this yet and you like hops you are missing out on life. Oskar blues never let's down with their 3d beers in a can. Buy it, shotgun one, enjoy. (373 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

From a can into an imperial pint
A: Light bright copper, clear, 1 finger creamy off-white head
S: caramel, pale malt, then I'm getting Centennial-like hoppiness, some melon and earthy notes.
T: good stuff. The pale bready malts invite you in, then the hoppy bitterness powers up. Lots to work with here: sure, a little citrus and juiciness, but more earthy and dirty and sharp notes to me, and even a little mintiness on the end.
M: bitter, dry on the finish, but also some alcohol burn.

Overall: I enjoyed this a lot. Tasting blind, there's no way I would know it was a pale instead of an IPA...love those Centennial hops. Some things in common with hoppy ambers, even, including a little rough edge. Glad these guys started distributing to MN last summer! Very nice addition. (788 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

Nearing the end of 2014 and I never had this before, let alone a beer from Oskar Blues...until yesterday at the Cloverleaf. All I knew was that everything I've seen from them has come from a can and this was highly recommended. While not the best APA that I've had, this one packed quite a range of flavors and hid the booze well, making it enjoyable and complex at the same time. It's a feat that not many American Pale Ale's can pull off this easily!

Really nice pour to this, as the dark copper hue had a wondrous haze to it that had a subtle radiance to it when I held it up to the light. The head was solid and the lacing was as well, along the back side of the glass I was given at the bar. Earthy, floral, and sticky, this had tons of wet, juicy citrus in it as well. The aroma was nearly one with the taste and there was a lot going here, as the mouthfeel was cloying, sticky, and skunky all at the same time. By the latter, this reminded me of a beer from Green Flash and hopheads will delight in how much this feels like a West Coast IPA without being a bomb of hops in a can. This tasted fresh and maybe like there was a bit of caramel here, which might explain the stickiness that I felt in the aftertaste.

Not weak, this certainly wasn't strong by any stretch either. The alcohol gave this a bit of warming but didn't detract from the range of flavors that this packed. This was a classic, textbook example of what an American Pale Ale should be while not falling prey to the "arms race" that so many West Coast counterparts of this fall victim to. It's a good thing that this beer is available year-round, as it can be enjoyed and would fit well in any season. Complex, balanced, and true to style, this is an APA that deserves a higher rating than what it has on here. (1,785 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a light orange with a white fizzy head. The smell was really nice with some sweet notes in the beginning and then a lot of pine from the hops coming through in the end. The taste was similar to the scent with sweet malt in the beginning and a crisp finish. A very well balanced beer. (289 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Another go to favorite, I love cans what can I say! Its gotten more consistant & holds up better from NC opposed to CO product in my opinion. Great beer malty w/o being too sticky, perfect hop bitterness to balance. (217 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

I like sucking down a few Dale's ...Great Beer with a NICE alcohol content for a Breskie....Lil' to "Hoppy" (unless they produce a Hoppier one?) for me personally...2-3 of them is enough...I don't think I have ever swilled more than four of them at a sitting...Always an occasional 'Go Too' though...Fer' sure (309 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Served from a can into a clean brew pub glass. Poured nice clear copper color with a very robust head of small tan bubbles

Nice, American hop aroma, not overpowering, but very crisp and clean. It was in my wheelhouse, so it might lean a little to the session side for more serious hopheads.

Taste- was perfect for chasing my burger and fries, nice hop up front, nothing too bitter, very good for brewpub food, which was what I was doing.

Mountfeel was medium to light, perfect carbonation. Score another for the can trend, as i think it is a good way for beer pubs to keep the non-tap servings fresh and cold.

Overall, I always wanted to try this, and I was glad I did. I would not be afraid to keep a six for friends and make it part of my American Pale ALe rotation.
Cheers (788 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pint enjoyed on tap at Beer Revolution in Calgary. Orange-yellow amber with a finger of light beige foam. Incredibly fruity nose, all kinds of things going on including orange, mango, peach, strawberry, kiwi, guava ... All blending together to yield a gummy bear effect. Wonderful hop aroma than can keep up with many full-fledged IPAs. Palate was more classically pale ale, however (assuming one can truly split hairs like this), a smooth caramel backbone with the hops still bold but not aggressive, everything well-integrated to yield a pleasant but mellow grapefruit, floral and tropical fruit melody. Mouthfeel slightly oily and smooth, moderate body and carbonation. Finishes quite dry, almost woody. Bitterness is notable. Great concoction, this, even if the nose does trump the palate by a wide margin. (810 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

I was very excited to give the spirit go, should've realized that my excitement stemmed from the recommendations of my west coast hophead friends! This is a good beer, but not my cup of tea. If I had to choose between this and a Sierra Nevada pale ale, Sierra Nevada! In fact, lately, I am a fan of Chesapeake pale ale from Alewerks! (333 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

Finally got around to trying it after receiving a free shirt from them the other day, I really enjoyed it as an easy drinking beer and I'm encouraged to try more Oscar Blues beers (179 characters)

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew