Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

A - Nice cloudy amber body topped with a fluffy one finger off-white head. Head retention is spectacular and a generous veil of lacing is left down the inside of my glass.

S - The can says it's "A huge voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale" and it certainly smells like it's living up to its billing. Citrus hops dominate the nose with just a twinge of sweet malt to top things off.

M & D - Wow...the hops are definitely kicking in this bad boy! As soon as you take a sip, you get a nice bitter blast of citrus hops at the front end, balanced out just slightly with a bit of malt sweetness toward the end. Medium bodied and smooth. Finishes pretty clean. Very good brew all the way around!

D - This is one of the better Pale Ales that I've had so far. Anybody that enjoys a hoppy beer will definitely appreciate this one. Oskar Blues has yet to let me down and I look forward to trying more of their brews!

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured a opaque copper tinged amber, lots of head and lots of lacing
Smell slightly sweet, heavy on pine with a slight citrus backing, pick up some toasty bread notes as well
Taste is a sweet bready mix with pine resin dominant, also tastes a bit soapy which is a slight turn off... definitely on the hoppy end of a Pale Ale
Mouthfeel is a thinner medium which is about right here for my tastes
Drinkability this is in no way a bad beer but a bit too aggressive on the hops and soap like taste they bring to the show just not something I personally would be willing to kill a whole 6-pack of

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

12-oz can.
The beer is cloudy and golden with a tall white persistent head. Very good lacing on the glass.

It has an excellent bold aroma: malty and citrusy.

Taste is equally big. Nothing understated here. Medium sweetness at first but immediately overwhelmed with hoppy goodness. And the hops just don't quit. Long finish. Medium body.

Overall I loved this beer. I would rate it among the top American ales I have tried.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from can into a pint glass. Pours a golden amber with honey color. Huge head that quickly dissipates and leaves excellent lacing all over the glass. Smells piney. Orangey citrusy smell with hop notes. Nose is actually quite nice. Taste is decent, but nothing special. I find myself wanting more hoppiness to this beer, but I find it is strangely balanced with malts. Crisp taste in the front and smooth mellow malt and bitterness at the end. An almost sour dough taste. Finish is kind of lackluster. It is quite drinkable but doesn't call me back in for more like I would want a good beer to do.

edit*
this beer is growing on me as I drink it. I am liking it more as it warms slightly, the citrus and fruit flavors show a little more. decent brew.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Pours a slightly hazy burnt orange color with a dense 3 finger head that sloooowly drops to one finger leaving sudsy lacing ALL OVER THE GLASS!

S- Floral and citrus hop aroma, spicy, sweet malty undertones.

T- Resin and pine, well balanced with the malt. Not as strong as promised by the nose yet still good drinking. No harsh aftertaste.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation. Nothing bad, nothing special.

D- Flavor makes for easy drinking as does the ABV, I like this beer very much and think it makes a good transition beer for non craft beer drinkers.

Clear copper with a creamy tan head that leaves fine lacing on the glass. The nose is citrus peel and caramel. A healthy dose of caramel malt is well balanced with some fresh floral hop seasoning and candied orange rind. Medium bodied and easy to drink. A top notch APA for sure.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Pale golden color with white 2 finger head.

aroma is of big citrus hops.

taste is carmel sweetness up front followed by fruity bitter citrus hoppy, loads of hops, but still is balanced pretty nicely with the malt.

mouthfeel is medium, and pretty smooth and creamy.

Overall this is a really good pale ale, i love the big hop aroma and flavor combined with the carmel sweet malt. I could easily kill several of these.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Can poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours amber with a small white head that fades to a minimal layer and leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is big on this beer. Lots of citrus, hops, and some tropical fruits. It smells excellent and begs to be drank. Really reminds me of a nice IPA.

T: The taste isn't as big as the nose but it's good. First tastes are floral hops. Around the midway point the citrusy/fruity flavors take over and it ends with a nice bitter finish. I'd like to see more malt flavors but I was still impressed.

M: The feel is on the high end of medium bodied and the carbonation is just right...almost creamy. Very crisp and refreshing.

D: Very drinkable and I plan to buy this when I'm looking for a hoppy/fruity beer that isn't too high in the alcohol department. I'd call this sessionable although the hops may take over your pallate after a few of these.

I have loved every Oskar Blues beer I've had and they have made their way into my top 3 favorite breweries. Recommended if you like Pale Ales with an IPA feel.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Served from a 12oz. can purhcased from The Wine Source in Baltimore, MD into my Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale pint glass at the appropriate temperature (01/16/10).

A: Nice dark golden amber with some slight orange hues capped with 2 fingers of an off-white head with decent retention leaving some patchy lace.

S: Aroma of citrus and sweet caramel malt with some strong pine notes.

T: Wonderfully crisp and fresh flavor profile consisting of pine, citrus, caramel malt, and a slight floral character. An extremely well balanced American Pale Ale.

M: Medium-bodied with with moderate and somewhat creamy carbonation.

D: This an extremely sessionable APA as the flavor are crisp, clean, and well balanced.

Overall this is one of my favorite session beers and one that I revisit quite often. Another solid beer from Oskar Blues. Recommended.

A- Dark gold with a tall off-white head.

S- Citrus and pine hops dominate the nose with a quick whiff of caramel malt.

T- Firm malty backbone with bready and biscuity notes; floral hops come in quickly leaving a lingering bitterness.

M- Smooth, full, velvety feel with a nice carbonation.

D- A nice APA that's a little on the hop-heavy side, but still quite nice. It's interesting to drink something this good out of a can!

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

On tap at Duckworths in Charlotte, served in a pint glass.

I have heard good things about this beer, but have been hesitant to try it because of my association of canned beer with a bad metallic taste. When I saw it on tap, I figured I would give it a shot.

Pours a semi-clear orange/amber/yellow color with a nice amount of off white head. The head lingers on for quite a while, there is a good amount of lacing as well.

Citrusy hops dominate the nose, not much in the way of malty or sweet scents, just hops.

Surprisingly, the first noticable taste is a bready malt, followed by hops, and then a slight fruity taste. Seems to be a bit too hoppy for an APA. If not for the malt balance I would say that this is more of an IPA.

Medium bodied, and appropriately carbonated for the style. Very drinkable, I really enjoyed this beer.

I am still hesitant to try it in a can based on some of the other reviews that I have read calling out the "metallic" flavor.

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

The color was nice and copper in tone. The head was a bit weak and soapy. Aroma had some nice caramel and a light malty toastiness. Clean taste and lively with carbonation. It had a nice hoppy bite to it. I'm happy to see good beers being packaged in cans. They recycle well and save these beer from destructive UV rays.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Like so many others I was once ashamed to admit that I like it in the can, my beer, that is. That was before I discovered what Oskar was up to, my poopshoot is exit only, but I digress.
Poured from can to SA pint a cloudy apricot with an inch of white foam head that reduces to heavy clinging lace and a "Charlie" sheen. I had to play "Beercan" by Beck just because. Smells like a hoppy delicious treat, sweet and piney like a great IPA. Taste is right along the same track, is labeled as a Pale Ale, but tastes like IPA(maybe they have something against the Indians, but more likely want to claim this taste for themselves). Easy drinking great feel with big flavor and no lingering bitterness. this is a gem that I buy whenever I have extra cash to spend. It ain't yo Daddy's can o beer, flavorwise or at the cash register. The price is usually a bit steep, but this one is worth it.
"Just shake your boots and let it all get loose!"

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

On tap at the local beer bar. An orange to golden color, nice off-white head and lots of lacing.

Smells of tons of grapefruit and some pine tree. Lots of hops character. Tastes very strongly of pine, backed by more grapefruit and other citrus notes. Nice floral hops bitterness, but the flavor is rather muted compared to the nice aromas. The bitterness ends up kind of overpowering the moe subtle (but great tasting) pine and citrus flavors.

A medium body, this one goes great with food.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Pours a a nice golden orangish yellow with half a finger of ecru head.

S - Nice citrus and grapefruit aroma from the hops. Some pine sap aroma as well.

T - Unfortunately, it doesn't taste quite as good as it smells. A lot of hop flavor is lost leaving hop bitterness. Still quite tasty, but not super special. Some caramel malt noticeable here as well. I wish there was a score between 3.5 and 4.0, because this taste is a 3.75.

M - Medium in body, good carbonation and stickiness.

D - Drinks nicely, goes great with the pizza I'm eating. A nice lunchtime brew.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Has a nice, bright-copper color and a loose off-white head that bubbles away happily and quickly. A decent floral nose is mellowed by strong caramel and a light malty toastiness that is quite appealing. Very clean taste, plenty of carbonation and a nice hoppy bite that is pulled along by strong malts. Don't be fooled by the blather on the can: this is definitely not a "voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale." It's hoppy, but within reason, and well balanced so as not to be offensive. The staff at Oskar have clearly been reading too much puffery on bottles from Stone and Rogue. Well worth a try-- gives canned beer a good name.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into to Duvel chalice.

A: clear golden with some soap bubble white head that diminishes to be about 1cm

S: a nice floral hop bouquet with pine and flowers, a nice sweet malt backbone with hints of honey are present after the hops

T: crisp bready malts on the front followed by a nice hop zing that matches the nose. very refreshing.

MF: medium body, high carbonation, good for style

D: this is a nice crisp and highly drinkable pale. I would love for this to be locally available to me.

One of the best canned beers I have ever had. Definitely will try this again if I get a chance. Had to import this to Korea but was well worth the extra shipping costs. Poured it into a wine glass and it gave me a nice lacing and approx 1 inch of foamy heady. The smell is great; a little fruity and hoppy. The colour is a coppery hue. With a ABV of 6.5% you can certainly enjoy a short session of 2-3.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Has a huge pillowing cream colored head, very foamy. It's a honey/peach color and is pretty hazy. Very nice lacing and foam all over the glass after the foam subsides, leaving a thing film over the top.

Very bright hop aroma with grapefruit, lemon, orange - most of the citrus fruits are represented. There's also a little pine mixed in. Under that there are some herbal hops and sweet malt aromas.

Tons of hop flavor with the various citrus fruits up front, then some pine. The occasional astringent flavor, but nothing to complain about. After this I get some dry bready flavors with some underlying sweet malt. The bitterness really comes through on the finish leaving some dry lingering flavors.

It's medium body with a pretty good carbonation byte. It's a fairly dry beer that goes down well, but the dryness lingers a bit.

This beer was surprisingly hoppy to me for a pale ale, but very flavorful and pleasing nonetheless. It's my first craft beer from a can (with the exception of a couple nitro-can stouts). I didn't have lower expectations because of it and was looking forward to see if it made a difference. None that I could see. Give this one a shot.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

My first craft beer in a can.

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

The color is a slightly hazy orange with about a finger of white head and some nice lacing.

The smell is hoppy with a nice citrus flavor and a surprising pineapple smell. Also has a bit of a bready, malt flavor.

The taste is bitter, the hops come out to give out a nice hop kick to the taste buds. The fruity flavors are right behind with pineapple being the first and some apple as well.

The feel of this beer light to medium with some carbonation that is pretty light. It also goes down pretty easy and is smooth even if it is pretty hoppy.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

A - Poured a light orange almost amber color and has a decent head that sticks around for a little while. The head is white.

S - A hoppy citrusy crisp smell. Had some grapefruit smell to it, but nothing was overpowering.

T - Just like the smell the taste is crisp. A sweet and hoppy taste in one. Once again, like the smell you get a grapefruit taste that is not overpowering but has a great aftertaste.

M - Coats your mouth with just the right amount of carbonation. Clean all the way through the drink.

D - This is a session beer. Just a great all around APA. I could drink this everyday, unlike many other heavier beers. However, this is no macro-brewery drink, it has complex undertones to the taste that make everything come together.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

has anyone ever asked you 'if you could only drink one beer the rest of your life, what would it be?" me and my fellow liquor store employees have found ourselves talking about things you can't even imagine, and not surprisingly, this question has been brought up. On first reaction, you would shout out some world class beer like founders kentucky breakfast stout or FFF's dark lord, but all the time? for the rest of my life? those are desserts and should be treated as such. I think my answer would be a benchmark IPA like founders centennial or dogfish 90 minute, but when this beauty appeared in a 'thank you' four pack i received for covering a shift, an eyebrow was definitely skewed. i brushed it off as just a funny beer with a funny name, like horse piss. for pete's sake, it's in a can, ahh but that's part of the beauty my friend. now that this ham in a can has been discovered, i wouldn't recommend camping without it. i have a friend from Pennsylvania who i have running this stuff across the border like it's shwill. this is my desert island beer! try it, you won't be disappointed.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a 12oz can. I am begining to really like these canned craft beers! Thanks to ArcTeryx...aka Devin for grabbing me a sixer of this!

A- Poured a hazy amber color. Nice one and a half finger white head that sticks around for a while before dying down. Light lacing left on the sides of the glass that I enjoyed looking at while I drank my beer.

S- Hops and more citrus (pineapple) hops in the front and well...everywhere in this beer. There is a light caramel malt along with a bready note that makes up the backbone but hops are the main aroma in this beer.

T- This is a fantasic hoppy pale ale! Bitter hops in the front blast your palate in a bitter bite. The sweet malts come through the middle of this beer but only lighty. There is a nice light citrus hop along with a strong bitter bite in the tail end of this beer. I live the taste of this a lot!

M- Medium light mouthfeel to this. Carbonation is great for the beer. Crisp and clean tasting. Bitter hops left on the palate long after the sip is done. Aftertaste is a lighter bitter hop with some sweet malts thrown in there.

D- This is a very drinkable beer. I almost could make this my session beer but sadly I can't get it. I would recommend this to everyone who wants to know what a great pale ale tastes like.

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a small off-white foam head with some lacing.

S: Citrus hops scent, bready and caramel malt and some hints of metallic.

T: The caramel malt hits first on the front end, followed up by citrus hop bitterness in the middle and the end. The malt becomes less prevalent in the middle and backend, but it is still present.

M: A nice medium to full bodied beer. Leaves a slight slick yet hoppy feel on the palate.

D: Easy to drink pale ale. A nice option for the golf course that does not allow bottles!

3.93/5  rDev +1%

Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale is a cloudy, light amber ale with a soft, fluffy, yellow-white head that has excellent retention and lacing. It has a huge, hoppy aroma that's floral and grassy; a little sweet with a note of lemon or lemongrass. It has a smooth medium body with a crisp finish. he hops leave the tongue a little scratchy. here's prenty of bitter, fruity, grassy hop flavor. There's a peppery alcohol flavor at the finish. It's on the powerful end of the session ale spectrum. If I would've tasted this ten years ago, I would've called it an IPA.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew