Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

Appearance: big 1/2 inch head, clear amber with medium carbonation

Smell:hops, grapefruit, pine, and a bit of malt

Taste: hops, grapefruit, pine, and a bit of malt

Mouthfeel: starts with a tad of sweetness, and has a strong hoppy finish--dry with a medium body

Drinkability: To me, this is an average American Pale, nothing more. A little on the hoppy side. Nothing I wouldn't have again, nothing i will go out of my way for.

tigg924, Mar 30, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

This is an awfully big APA, and I love it. The boys at Oskar Blues probably had a lot of fun putting this together.

For some reason, I really enjoyed pouring this beer from a can. Its a burnt orange, hazy tone, with a somewhat thin head that laces beautifully and retains well.

The smell is absolutely wonderful. There's a strong butterscotch character that leaps out front, but that's accompanied by supporting roles played by citrus, herbs, and a touch of pine. this is a very hoppy brew indeed.

The flavor is somewhat muted compared to the nose, but delicious nonetheless. The hop character is somewhat more pronounced than the malts, at least on the initial tasting. The beginning and end of the flavor are hop strong, but the middle is where the sweetness of the malts come out. it's a nice flavor. Good bitterness. Great malt elements, and fantastic hop qualities. Citrus, herbals, carmel malts. Yum.

The mouthfeel is wonderful. Very soft and smooth. The drinkablity is spectacular.

This is, solidly, the best beer I have ever had from a can.

Beernoisseur, Mar 30, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a slighty cloudy orange color with a thick head that sticks to the sides of the glass. The smell was hoppy, pine, citrus orange. The citrus peel bitterness hits right up front with pine flavors and a slight caramel. The bitterness lingers quite a while. It has a strong flavor and I wouldn't be able to have more than one or two. I like the design on the can.

Kromes, Mar 27, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a copper amber with a slightly off-white head that lasted until the last sip. Little lacing remains on my glass.

S: Piney hops and caramel malt.

T: The taste is a direct reflection of the aroma. Bitter hops balanced by sweet, earthy malt. Sublimely simple and straight to the point.

M: Medium-lihgt with just enough carbonation to give the illusion of a palate-cleansing effect.

D: I could drink this all day...liver willing.

FACEMEAT, Mar 26, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

This beer poured an orange-tinged copper color with a fluffy single-finger head. The smell is pleasantly hoppy with a lot of citrus and some biscuity malt. The taste starts off with a kick of grapefruit-rind like hops that give way to a bit of malt sweetness and a surprisingly clean finish. The mouthfeel is slightly slick with pretty low carbonation. This beer is surprisingly drinkable, especially since it's so hoppy. A great one to try if you can find it.

TheTrevor, Mar 24, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +10%

Appearance- A golden brown beer with slight to moderate carbonation, very nice look on the head on the pour,

Smell- Lots of nice hops just jumping out at you off the nose, lots of citrus and bitter hop aromas, good smell gets you looking forward to first sip

Taste- Very tasty brew that is very very hoppy, lots of good hops in this one making it a very tasty beer with a great finish, full bodied and full flavored didnt disappoint at all,

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with moderate carbonation, nice smooth mouth feel

Drinkability- Very drinkable beer and tasty hop heavy brewski, more hops then even expected in a lot of pale ales, easily could be thought or considered an Ipa, this was my first time trying it I really did like it one I will surely visit again see if its as good as i thought on first try, could be my go to can beer in the summer when planning an outdoor day, worth a try from a good brewery

Stunner97, Mar 23, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Poured a nice 2 finger greyish white head, the beer is a perfect blond with a dash of red coloration. The lacing is really nice.

Smell: Strong citrus smell. Smells more like an IPA than a pale ale. Besides the obvious abundance of hops, a refreshing malt flavor can be picked up too.

Taste: Starts off with a good kick of tasty hops. After the hoppy taste subsides I get a corn aftertaste. Not as hoppy as I thought it would be from smell, very good balanced taste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty average for a Pale Ale or IPA. Probably the only downside about this beer, but I feel that speaks for how good this beer really is.

Drinkability: At first smell I thought it wouldn't be as drinkable as it is. I finished my beer before I finished the whole review and could easily grab another and another and another.

Overall: Really good beer, wished they made a 30-pack of it.

DarbyOGill, Mar 22, 2009

Amazingly tasty Pale Ale from a can. If you like American Pale Ale beer give this a try as soon as possible. Pours amber with a good white head and plenty of white lacings. Hops rule this brew and a good amount of support from the malts. One of the best beers from a can ever! Mouthfeel is very good. Overall a fine Pale Ale.

Spikester, Mar 20, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured a can into a pint glass

A: cloudy reddish orange
S: overly grapefruit floral hops.. not too much else
T: So... someone had described this beer to me as similar to Sierra Nevada APA but more hoppy.. and okay.. I could see what they meant but in all honesty.. not how I would describe this beer.. I didn't find this to be terrible but the hop taste was overly grapefruity and just sort of off-putting. Citric taste of the hops.. a tad bit overbearing. This is a tough call.. as I am on my second can.. Not sure how I feel about having another four to finish out my night.. skeptical. Way too biting.. almost astringent.
M: mouthfeel was nice, nothing wrong with the feel of this pale ale. But the taste of it is what's bringing me down...
D: Probably won't be getting this one again. Drinkable.. yeahh sure.. sort of. Not my cup of tea.. or beer.. uhmm.. yeah.

JVEyck309, Mar 19, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -10%

an aggressive pour reveals a cloudy, orange, somewhat hazy pale. It has a nice head with decent lacing. The smell is some murky, faint hops, I can't put my finger on which kind. Somewhat piney, with a little bit of sweetness and citrus. The taste is more citrus, and a little bit of sour, not much sweetness. Finishes dry, and a lingering bitterness insues. The mouthfeel is somewhat sticky, but pretty well rounded. Not the most drinkable pale I have had, but not bad. would be a good summer day beer or a garage kind of beer.

Ricelikesbeer, Mar 17, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: An orangish amber color with a good sized white head.

S: Big dose of citrusy hops. Excellent nose.

T: A great, well balanced pale ale. Definitely on the hoppy side for an APA. A bitter bite in the finish with lots of grapefruit in the middle. Excellent balance with a big chewy malt.

M: Medium to medium-full body.

D: A great APA. It's big and bold and delicious.

willjschmidt, Mar 17, 2009

Poured from a 12-ounce can into a Pig's Eye Pub pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy, unfiltered golden amber color with a rich two-finger head of ivory foam. Carbonation and lacing are both good.

S: Smell is a bit musty, but mostly hop oil and citrusy resins with only a slight toasted malt smell.

T: Taste is full on hops; a very potent herbal-grapefruit hop combination pairs well with an evenly roasted and toasted malt profile. Slightly astringent in it's bitterness, meaning it's not the most balanced APA out there, but a hell of a hop-ride.

M: Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, sticky and a little caustic.

D: At an ABV bordering 7%, this is a powerful ale, and one which didn;t disappoint me. A good one to throw in the cooler for a beach party or one to wash down with a spicy dish.

Another great Oskar Blues brew and a step in the right direction for quality craft brews out of the can. A bit hopped up for an APA, but no complaints here. Very nice!

Gambrinus1184, Mar 14, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a glass mug. Honey amber color with a nice offwhite head, which left some purty lacing all the way down.
Delicious hop aroma. Piney, a bit sticky. Sweet malts. Sweet then bitter, real bitter, but a tasty bitter. Perfect for an aperitif. Seriously. Medium bodied, smooth, a bit of a zest. My favorite beer in a can, currently anyways, obviously.

AChamberlain, Mar 13, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

I want to like this beer. But I can drink about one can before I get sick of it. A large dose of grapefruit with a lingering bitterness that just isn't pleasant. Hoppy, but not flowery to me. And not in the least bit refreshing. I like it less as I drink more of it. So maybe I'll just stop.

hopmonkey, Mar 13, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured out of a can. After my third twelve pack of this stuff I had to review it because I've never had such a great beer out of a can.

A - Dark amber with a beautiful two finger head that hangs around for a good while. Lacing is beautiful and seems to cling for dear life.

S - Strong hop aroma compared to what I've been drinking recently. Strong pine notes dominate.

T -Initially sweet and piny followed by a sudden wave of hops as it moves towards the back of the tongue. Light, crisp, and an expected bitter finish leaves you craving more. Just like the can suggests, it's a perfect camping beer. Seems to be the perfect session beer for summer time camping.

Drinkability - Light enough to drink all night and the price allows this. It's been my session beer of choice for the last month or two and seems even more appropriate now that spring has rolled around.

benpst, Mar 12, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -19%

Reviewed 5/22/2008 (Can):

Pours a clear amber reddish colored body, with a good-sized head, white in color, and somewhat lasting. Has a hoppy aroma, with some grapefruit, medium strength. Grapefruit, sweet taste. Bitter. Dry, creamy, smooth aftertaste.

jujubeast6000, Mar 12, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Had this on tap at the mellow mushroom, I realize I am not getting the whole oskar blues in a can experience, but I just like the tap a bit better.
Pours a medium golden hue with a big white head and moderate lacing. The head disappeared a bit too quick for me though.
The smell is straight piney hops, this is a great pale ale smell.
The taste follows suit, very hoppy, like she should be, with a great strong profile, well balanced by the malt.
The perfect carbonation and medium body lend themselves well to this brew, making it quite drinkable. This is the go to camping/tailgating brew...along with some old chub of course. Another excellend job by oskar blues.

grayburn, Mar 10, 2009

Don't let the can fool you, this is real beer. Can't wait to take this out for tailgating and hiking this season.

A = Light amber with a nice white head and perfect carbonation.

S = Light fruity hops. Some sweet malts come through.

T = Well balanced. Enough citrus and crisp pine to satisfy the inner hop head, but also well malted.

M = Clean and refreshing.

D = Goes down easy.

This has been one of my staples since I was introduced.

johlendorf, Mar 08, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

this is one of my favorite pale ales for some time. The aroma hops in this are awesome. The taste is very balanced between pale/caramel malts and hops. The appearance is a very clear amber with a small head that quickly disappears with some lacing,
the mouthfeel is a little metallic and a slight hint of alcohol burn, a little to much carbonation.

peck95, Mar 08, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance - Light amber coloring with a finger and a half of head with a nice lacing left behind.

Smell - Smells...I don't know... Clean is the only word I can think of. I mean it has the typical citrus fruit and hop/malt smell of most pale ales, but something about this one just smells clean, and I like it.

Taste - Surprised big time on this one, no metallic taste at all. Not even a little bit. One of the better Pale Ales I have tried so far, nice blend of flavors with no one taste standing out and dominating the rest.

Mouthfeel - A little carbonation and a very "light" feel to it.

Drinkability - This has definitely become a staple beer that I will keep stocked as long as I can get it. Very clean and refreshing. I am looking forward to many more cans of this.

Shaon94, Mar 06, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a pale gold as one would expect with a quick dissolving head. Smell is of pale malts and light hops. Taste is balanced with a definite metallic flavor. Adequately carbonated. Drinkability is good if cans are the only option but nothing real special IMO. If I had to choose between any of their other beers that I have tried (Old Chub, Gordon, or Ten Fidy)this would be my last choice.

cpn920, Mar 06, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hey, this way pretty good, considering it came out of a can. Easy to drink, a faint weird aftertaste. Goodlooking pour, nice strawberry blonde color and nice lacing. Smells of grapefruit and heavy pale, grainy, malts. Has a nice kick of hops on the back, just lingers a bit. Nice quaff!

bigdeuce, Mar 06, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a copper color with about a finger of white head. Loads of carbonation, which continues twenty minutes after cracking the can. Smell is of floral hops, par for the course for a pale ale. The first sips are piney, but not that pleasant because of an unusual, astringent aftertaste and mouthfeel. Oddly enough, I drank the first four of the six pack from the can and enjoyed those a lot more. I'll have to see if anything changes when I drink the last one.

Riccymon, Mar 05, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

APPEARANCE:
Pours a hazy orange-amber color with a large white head dissipates at relatively slowly. Large amount of sticky lacing.
AROMA:
Full aroma of malt, caramel and citrusy hops.
FLAVOR:
A lot more hops than your typical pale ale. Nice caramel malt backbone. I taste citrus and pine. Finishes with long mild grapefruit like hoppy bitterness.
MOUTHFEEL:
Medium body. Soft fizzy carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
Flavorful and well balanced pale ale. I could drink a few of these in a night. Probably the best beer I have had in a can.
NOTES: BBCSD-0902-ScottR

seanbhudson, Mar 05, 2009

Pours a dark gold with a massive foamy white head on top. Great retention and gorgeous sticky lacing. Smells of piney hops and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is alot thinner than I expected. Watery slickness coats the mouth. Goes down really easily. Tastes nice and balanced. Malt sweetness finishes with just enough of a hop kick to keep me sipping. Very well done PA, in a can no less. Recommend.

Onenote81, Feb 28, 2009