Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,329 | Reviews: 1,823
3.46/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours amber with a white head. Very good lacing on this.

In the nose is sweet candy flavor dominated by bitter citrus.

It is bitter up front, yet smoothe in the back. There is a lingering citrus bitterness - a nice taste, but not as good on the mouthfeel.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

On tap at Liberty Tavern, Clarendon Section of Arlington, Va. "Let me have a pint of Dale's Pale..." "Yessir." From the tap to a 45 degree pub pint in an absolutely lovely bar, served by Danny, the cordial barkeep.

Is it to be expected that keg Dale's would have so much less carbonation than the can Dale's? It would figure. The bubbles of carbonation were not as ostensible as from the can, and soon vanished - stillness reigned in the glass - and the thick snowy head dissipated rapidly, leaving a pleasing lacey embroidery in its trail. The color was Dale's burnished copper, hazy and attractive. The fragrance was one of bitter, citrusy hops with a faint note of caramel malt. Faint. (I worry that my sniffer has evolved to detect only hops/esters and is inured to malt...but if so I remain happy in this...)

I love Dale's Pale and the taste is dry, bitter, and the fulfillment of the promise of the nose. The mouthfeel, however, was somewhat lacking, in that the carbonation was distinctly off. No: this wasn't even close to flat - flat is flat, and it hits your mouth like a dead thing. This brew was alive in the mouth but not creamy foamy as I had experienced it elsewhere and earlier.

I could still drink this all day and into the night. One of my favs.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: light orange hue with a bit of haze to the body. Head is two fingers of creamy rich ivory foam. I rather like it.

Smell: rich citrus hop aroma with a nice piney back. I dig the aroma of this beer a great deal.

Taste: light yet rich malt backbone; hard to describe but very tasty. On top of this is a rich, citrusy and floral hop character; the sweetness makes this taste kind of like candy. I really love this beer; what can I say, this stuff is great!

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with an OK level of carbonation. It's passable but not super interesting. Probably my least favorite thing about this beer.

Drinkability: super tasty and enjoyable. Man, I could drink this beer all the time. There are few pale ales I enjoy this much ... other pales pale before Dale's!

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

Note: i poured this beer out of ritual then realized based on the packaging i probably should've drank it from the can, but here we go....

Pour: A lightly hazed deep nearly burnt amber. head appears to be well structured and off white. seemingly random bubbles make their way to the top at a slow but steady pace. head breaks down within a couple of min.

Nose: touch of malt nuance of citrus and a hearty punch of hops.

Mouth: hoppy, a bit of cream with the malt. resiny, sticky, probably too hopped for most. however i think this very well done.the malt picks up a step as the brew approaches room temp. there is a lingering hop coating that you don't pick up till until you swallow and the nearly 'rise from the grave' to let your tongue that yes, "that just happened in your mouth".

I dig it. i dig OB, too. my thinking is this if canning saves them so much cash on their end, then why as consumers as we paying in at such a high price point?

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%

This is the first time I've tried Dale's, and I like it. I haven't tried a better canned beer, and I've tried many bottled beers that are far less accomplished.

This is one great-looking pale ale - if you've got a glass, pour this one because it's a looker. Ample and persistent white head laces the glass nicely, perched atop an enticing hazy orange-tinged gold brew with plenty of bubbles scudding up the side.

Nose is dominated by ample citrus hopiness backed up by sweet malt, although at first sniff I smelled something odd that I couldn't place. Nevermind, though, because I didn't notice whatever-it-was again, and found the pungent hop aroma intoxicating. I think it would be nice to soak all of my clothes in this so that I could smell it all day, every day.

Taste is intensely hoppy, no surprise here. Hops lean a bit more towards the citrus than the pine. Greater-than-expected malt sweetness put me off a little at first, but I soon appreciated the balance it imparts on this extra-hoppy brew. Mouthfeel is just a little sticky and serves this brew well, drinkability is let down only slightly by the high-for-a-pale-ale 6.5% abv.

Overall I'd say that for camping or other outdoor activities there's no contest - this is number one. Its a frontrunner in other contexts too. My only hang-up is that the grocery store wanted 10$ for a sixer. Knock off two or three bucks, and this might just be my pale ale of choice (I'd have to reserve judgement on that until I try this back to back with Stone Pale).

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a can into pint glass. Decent one finger head which dissipates after the first taste. Thin lacing that does the same.

There is not an overwhelming aroma with this one. If you try hard there is a faint aroma of bitter hops involved... but as I would expect some citrus notes I didn't get that with this one.

I do like the taste of this beer... and it is a "go-to" six pack for me. I will also say though, that it is a very basic pale ale.... but to me it has the hop bite of an IPA. There is nothing very "complex" about it, just a bitter hops taste and perfect mouthfeel. To me the taste is somewhat simple but good, with a fine bitter hop bite that stays on your tongue as you drink.

As mentioned, the mouthfeel for pale ale is perfect.... Perfect amount of carbonation and easy to pour.

Drinkability is good too. The best thing about this beer is the can it comes in. If you are going somewhere you can't take a bottle, I always go looking for a sixer of Dale's.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12oz can, I must admit I have put off trying this brew- as the can looked too cheap to justify the price. But at some friends requests I gave it a try. It had a "canned on" stamp on the bottom, and even the actual time stamped, which I had never seen before.

APP: Poured well, with a nice thick head that stayed a while. A rich slightly cloudy amber color. A really nice lace that gathers and stays long on the glass. Good sign!

Smell: distinctive smell of hops, but with some citrus in there, perhaps orange? And even a hint of grapefruit? But those are afterthoughts to the malt and caramel that calm the hops.

Taste: Not as hoppy strong as the smell might indicate. Not like a bomber bottle of Hercules for example. Smoother. Lighter. But then again this is only a Pale Ale, not an IPA. Stays on the tongue a bit. I like that. Sort of like I'm drinking more than I am. More than 12 oz in the can- that sort of thing. There's caramel, but for me it helps to balance it all out.

Mouthfeel: A complete goodness- IF you enjoy it. As another wrote in these reviews, "you can almost chew on it". Again, that to me is why it seems that you get more from the can than just the 12 oz. It hangs there, in your mouth.

Drinkability: As for pure drinking I could enjoy it for an evening, but the price makes it exotic for a session beer. Up there with Stone Brewery or ABT 12, other acclaimed beers- but not the same beer- but still good!

Notes: It seems Dale's has kept this creation in a can to make it unique, and that it is. In fact it might be "the king of cans". But still, it might lie in that no man's land where it's an above average beer- but not quite good enough to justify the price. Two dollars cheaper a 6-pack I might make an evening of it.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

A: a very strong gold capped by a decent foam head.

S: hints of hops and citrus.

T: a sizzle of hops tease the palate but leave a pleasant lemon aftertaste.

MF/D: mildly heavy on the feel but an excellent session beer, no problem finishing a 6-pk with friends.

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Notes from 7/3/10

Dale's pale is not as pale as a normal pale. The pale is a hazy pale with some pale caramel orange tints. This pale's head is nearly non existant.

The aroma is quite malty with a pinch of citrus. I would describe the malts as bready.

This is definitely a malty pale with a mild grassy/lemony hop kick. I'm not sure if this is an old can or not, but I was expecting more hops.

Dale's moutfeel is medium and finishes surprisingly dry.

It is always fun drinking a solid beer out of a can. A perfect camping beer for someone who wants a decent beer while conserving space.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Oh, gotta love the can.

A - Excellent amber-gold coloring with some excellent head and retention.

S - This is interesting, is this an IPA? Smells hoppy. Much sweeter smell than an IPA, but more hoppy than expected.

T - Yep, this is an IPA. A weak, but tasty IPA. Sweet and hoppy all in one, but more caramel than hops.

M - Ends dry and I like it. Does not completely coat the mouth and leave you dry, but leaves you wanting more.

D - Yes please. Upset I only have one more can. Tasty and wonderful.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Probably my favorite pale ale to date and definitely my favorite canned beer. I poured this one into the glass to switch it up and for sake of reviewing, but typically it seems appropriate to drink this sucker straight from the can.

Pretty orange color with little, but nice head. Left some great lacing. Nose and taste were both all grapefruity hop fantasticness for me. There is definitely a caramel sweetness in the malt, but it finishes dry and hoppy, and that is definitely the way I would have to characterize this one. As far as I'm concerned, this is an IPA, but I guess Dale's India Pale Ale doesn't have the same ring to it. In fact, it's bitter hoppiness is enough to make me only want a couple Dale's in one sitting. Great stuff from Oskar Blues, as almost all of their brews are, but I wish they could cut the prices a bit! Still, a phenomenal beer worth the money and definitely one with a cult following.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours from the 12 oz. can a light copper color with a one finger white head that settles into a thick collar. Lively carbonation, but not over-carbonated. Aroma is nicely balanced...doughy malt with a light touch of hops. 1st sip brings a mighty wallop of pine-y, grapefruit-y hops with a slight hint of bready, slightly sweet malt to provide balance. The flavor is sort of opposite of the aroma. The mouthfeel is smooth and falls right down the middle, not heavy or watery. The bitter hops coat the tongue for a good while after the swallow, and there's a nice lacing on the inside of the glass. Drinkability is quite good, I see no problem with sessioning these during the upcoming football season! Overall, a fine APA, quite worthy of the praise & recognition it has received! Oskar Blues is quickly making its way onto my list of favorite breweries!!!

4.17/5  rDev +7.2%

A - This is a beautiful beer. Thick head that doesn't go anywhere and traces the glass from top to bottom. Deep amber color through which I can just see some tiny consistent bubbles working their way to the surface.

S - Kind of light on the aroma, keep waiting for it to warm up and give me something to smell but it seems like at the end of the day (or I guess the end of the can) there's just not a whole lot to smell but don't worry, it makes up for it in the taste.

T - With an ABV of 6.5% some might call this "high gravity." I think that's crap, I want a Pale Ale that packs a punch and this one totally does! This beer dances up to the line of how an IPA should taste and then stares at all the other weak-ass IPA's that barely made it across and makes them cry. The only thing that keeps this from being an IPA seems to be the extreme balance the hops ride along the tongue without ever hitting so hard as to dry you out like an IPA does. I can even sit here and enjoy the afteraste. The only reason this is staying at 4.5 and not 5 is that I've had the Gubna, and know just how much more intense a beer Oskar Blues is capable of producing.

M - This beer really dries the mouth out but the aftertaste is so nice that it doesn't bother me. Smooth, light, and dry. A pale ale you can actually feel in your mouth, which is a pleasant difference from many other lightweight pale ales.

D - I could drink this every day if I didn't appreciate the variety of all the other good beer in the world, even if I was only drinking Oskar Blues.

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours from a can the color of well-worn leather. Hazy brown with a nice little head that disappears into a thin saddle around the outside of the glass.

The smell has robust floral hop notes with some yeast and bread flavors in the background. A touch of caramel malt on the nose really rounds this out.

The taste is exceptionally well-balanced: sweet and creamy in the mouth with a nice dry-hop finish. It tastes of toasted caramel malt with some nice piney hop flavor on the swallow. The mouthfeel is fairly substantial, creamy and smooth with a slight effervescence.

In terms of drinkability, I would peg this as one of the best tasting and sessionable pale ales out there. At 6.5 abv, it's no slouch, but one could easily put away a few of these, just because it's such a pleasure to drink.

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%

A-Dark amber with a thick creamy head.

S-Hops come out first then are matched by sweet malts.

T-Pretty tasty. One of my favorite Pale Ales. Hoppy yet well balanced. Caramel malts combine with the hops. Has some spice in the end.

M-Medium bodied and carbonated. A bit oily.

D-Very drinkable. Flavorful but still an easy drinker. Don't get any metallic aftertaste either.
---
Have re-tried several times, and every time I like the beer even more. Flavors blend quite well. Easy to drink but still hoppy and bold. One of the best canned brews.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz can served in shaker pint, canned on 7/14/10.

A: Slightly hazy marigold hue with a semi-fluffy bone colored head. The head doesn't have much staying power, but it leaves a respectable layer with a little bit of cling.

S: Grassy, herbal hop aroma. Solid dose of carmel malt, and a hint of char. Citrus...lemon zest, maybe some sweet tangerine. Restrained overall.

T: Almost identical to smell. Malt comes through a little more and balances out the hop flavor. Hop bitterness is very present, but the citrus nearly dissapears. Hop bitterness almost turns into an unpleasant astringency in the finish, but cleans up as the beer warms.

M: Very nice. Carb is spot on. Mouthfeel is slick, but soft.

D: Solid. This is an interesting beer. ABV is through the roof for a Pale, definitely not typical.

This is a big APA. Its one of my favs, but I think if you scoring based on style it takes a few hits. Its probably much closer to an IPA, but even then I wouldn't score it through the roof. Balanced...maybe too much so. This would be close to perfect if the malt dialed back a bit.

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%

(reviewed from notes)

Pours amber with a reddish hue. The nose is very hop heavy, especially for just a pale ale (reminded me of an IPA). The taste has a forward hop bitterness that assaults the tongue in a very pleasing way through ample citrus hops.. There are some bready malts that follow, adding some complexity, but this is a very hop driven beer.

Great, sessionable beer that might be the best APA I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

4.63/5  rDev +19%

Date Tasted: 8/12/2010
Name of Beer: Dale's Pale Ale
Style of Beer: American Pale Ale
ABV: 6.5%
Brewery: Oskar Blues
Brewery Location: Lyons, Colorado
Where I acquired it and price: D&J Market in Poulsbo, WA. $8.99/six-pack.
My Location: On our porch, in a makeshift bed, celebrating the completion of my Chemistry class, barbecuing and watching the meteor shower.
Draught/Bottle/Can: 12 oz. can
Glassware: Pint glass
Appearance: Golden amber, ample head, leaves nice amount of lacing
Aromatics: Pleasant notes of citrus and hops
Flavor: Big citrusy hops with a nice toasty malt backbone
Score: 9/10. Dale's is one of my go-to beers. Pairs decent with most foods and activities. Usually fairly priced. One of my favorites.

3.19/5  rDev -18%

12 oz can into Imperial pint glass; poured cold and warmed as tasted.
A - Clear orange/brown/amber; holds a bit of lacing down the glass.
S - Not much off the pour, but unfortunately does have a bit of an "off" scent to me; not skunked (it's from a can) but (and I hate to write this) a bit like dog food. Really. Willing to consider the possibility of a bad can here.
T - Not getting the hop punch on this one that others have talked about, which I would like in an APA. Hops only present themselves at the end, and faintly at that. But do get a nice hop linger, and a tasty bit of caramel malt that pleasingly presents itself WAY at the end of the palate. Finish with this beer kicks ASS all over the start...
M - No complaints here; carbonation is right on as well.
D - Not great; I prefer that mouth-cleansing dryness of the hops in an APA (think Sierra Nevada,etc) and don't get that here. Plus that nose (if real) is quite off-putting.
Overall not great - gotta try it again though to confirm that nose to be fair.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a light amber body with a big white head that leaves moderate lacing. Smells sweet and nutty but with a big resin and grapefruit hop presence, borders on an IPA smell. Taste is much like the nose. Oily and drying mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Lingering malts with a piney taste in the aftertaste too. Easy to drink, and pretty tasty too, but it loses points for being a bit too drying in my opinion. Regardless, I'm pretty satisfied and wouldn't hesitate to buy this again if I saw it and wanted a pale ale.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Finally got around to reviewing Dale's Pale Ale. Have gone thru a sixer over the last few weeks (sprinkled in with many other brews) and thoroughly enjoyed each can. Now, let me address the can---I like it. Beer is fresh and takes up much less space in my fridge. Have yet to drink one straight from can, typically use a glass. So, poured the color is nice amber-orange with a light carbonation and 1/2" head that seems to last a good while. Compared to my fave, SN Pale Ale---Dale's is hoppier by a degree and seems a bit creamier. I would go as far as calling this brew an IPA lite. Very good tasting beer with a crisp, drier finish. Malt is dominant with a good spiking of piney, citrusy hops. The 6.5% abv isn't an issue as any alcohol is well masked. I can see this making an apperance at any time in my fridge. Well done Oskar Blues!

Edit: I wanted to revisit this review. Slightly bumped up nose an taste. After going through a couple sixes of Dale's this Summer, I really came to love it. Great out of the can. Perfect compromise beer taste wise. Just damn good. May knock Sierra out if 1st for my favorite US pale ale. That's something!

Golden amber color with a big ol' white head. Lace aplenty. As always, bonus points for cans.

Aroma is IPA worthy. Peach rings, orange citrus, and pine dipped in candy. Malt aroma seems a little too "streamlined." I don't know if that's the word I'm looking for but it's the first that comes to mind.

Taste is similarly IPA caliber with prickly sharp pine and citrus hops. Sweet candy malt sticks to my mouth and tongue. A bit too much crystal malt for my taste. At 6.5% and enough hops to put most East coast IPAs to shame, this is an IPA for my intents and purposes.

Drinkability is variable on this one. As some one who appreciates portable canned beer I've developed a Dale's Pale drinkability scale. +5 when drinking in a canoe. +4 on a beach. +3.5 if on a porch. +1 if watching football/hockey, +2 if your team wins. 0 if after a long run. It's a work in progress.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Had this on 2010-08-10 in Columbia, PA

A - Amber with a 3-finger light tan head

S - Very pleasant with lots of pine and citrus. Would be interesting to see how strong the smell is on tap. It's good but not great out of the can.

T- Piney hop bitterness followed by a sweet-caramel medium roasted malt, mineral, perfume and some grapefruit. A little too sweet for me but not too bad and thankfully, there's more than enough bitterness to offset it. The sweetness and bitterness lingers on the aftertaste. The alcohol is apparent but enhances the taste.

M - Medium body and light-medium carbonation give it a thick feel. Pretty nice.

D - Well, having a hop bomb in a can with some malt character is good by me. I've taken a few of these on a long summer hike in the woods and cooled them off in the stream for an end-of-day treat. Works for me.

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

A- brownish with a serious white head and leaves some lacing

S- Some piney citrus hops, not as much hop in the nose as other pale ales I've had

T- Some sweet maltiness up front turning into the hoppy bitterness quite quickly. Nothing real special here.

M- Light bodied and some crispiness from the carbonation coupled with that hoppiness

D- Nothing offensive but nbot much reason to return in my opinion other than the can factor.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

On tap at Brass Rail Deli on 8/2/10.

A - Classic pale golden/amber body with swiftly moving carbonation bubbles and half a finger of off-white foam that produced some thick, decorative lacing around the rim of the glass.

S - Crisp grassy and citrus hop notes up front paired with a sweet, grainy malt profile suggesting toasted bread and caramel notes.

T - Just as the nose suggests, the flavor is a damn near perfect blend of toasted grain and bold citrus hop presence with hints of floral and grassy notes. Sweet caramel malt balances the hop presence, which is rather assertive for a straight-up pale ale. Finishes with a tinge of spicy, herbal notes to add some further depth to the overall flavor profile.

M - Medium bodied with lively carbonation that ultimately delivers a crisp, bristly mouthfeel. Refreshing and easy to quaff. Finishes with moderate lingering bitterness on the palate.

D - Nicely hopped pale ale that is clearly one of the top pales I've had. Not quite as awesome as Alpha King, but Dale's is definitely up there. Tasty and poundable.

Not sure why it took me song long to get to this one.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew