Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally tried this one at the Old Bay the other night. Liked it a lot and grabbed a six pack of cans today.

12 ounce can, shaker pint.

A - Fairly murky haze to this orange tinted golen amber color. About a finger of head forms and stays. Nice looking pale.

S - Nice hoppy aroma. Very straightforward. A nice citrusy hop smell. Great APA smell all the way.

T - More hops on the taste. A nice malty flavor as well though. This brew has some balance for an American pale.

M - Fairly full for an APA. Coats the mouth well.

D - Goes down nice and smooth.

EStreet20, Nov 09, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

I heard the recipe changes, so let's see what we see:

Pours amber with 4+ fingers of pillowy sand colored head. Insane lacing sticky white all over the top 2" of my pint glass! Head retention is good

S: Citrussy hops & bready malt & leafy hops as this warms

T: Orangey & tangerine hops along with biscuitty malts up front. Piney, leafy & grapefruitty hops along with honey malt sweetness as this warms. Finishes crisp with plenty of grapefruitty hops & honey malt sweetness with a kiss of caramel

MF: Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation & great balance.

Drinks great, the only discernible difference I see is less in your face. back of the throat hoppyness, but that actually works for me. A change for the better IMO for my go to camping beer

russpowell, Nov 03, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +8%

Picked up a can of this in late July at AJ's for $1.59.

Beer poured an orange color with a beautiful fluffy white head that is leaving a nice lacing in my glass. Nose is of a generous dose of citrusy hops. Taste is very good, the floral hop factor is not too much as it blends in well with the malt presence leading to a crisp and enjoyable finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Drinkability is good. I could get very used to this APA in a regular rotation as this is one of the better ones i have had. I highly recommend this brew to APA fans.

arizcards, Oct 26, 2007

Pours a nice amber from the 12oz can. Nice white head. Smells of pine and citrus. Typical IPA scents.

Tastes of grapefruit and piney hops. Decent malt sweetness to balace it all out.

Medium bodied and easy going down. Very drinkable.

A really great all around IPA. This is one I will seek out again.

Monsone, Oct 24, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

On tap, nice orange color with a smallish white head.
Some citrus hop and a bit of malt in the aroma.
Hops are the first thing you notice in the flavor with a bit of bready malt to balance things out.
Smooth mouthfeel, one of the best things about the beer.
A decent session beer, but nothing to write home about. I could have had a couple of these without any trouble.
Not a bad beer, but there are better pale ales out there. Of the Oskar Blues beers I've tried, this is my least favorite.

kwakwhore, Oct 20, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -25.4%

12 oz can poured into ergonomic pint glass.

A: Looks nice! Good copper/bronze color, nice thick head.

S: Just caught a nose full of pine. Maybe a bit a fruit in there, but hops/pine smell dominated my pour.

T: I am not a hop-head in general, so I was a bit worried here. Certainly a very bold taste, but just not what I like in a beer. Hops hit hard up front and bitter citrus (grapefruit?) taste lingered long afterwards. Others in my drinking party whose tastes leaned more towards the IPA end of the beer spectrum seemed to enjoy it.

M: Good carbonation, but the persistent astringent finish struck me as unpleasant.

D: Not one I'd look to drink in multiplicity, but I'll attribute that more to my palate than to the beer itself.

A tremendous amount of character from a can. I know it is a respectable APA... it just isn't a style that I like in general. That being said, if these same guys come up with a stout, I'll absolutely give it a try.

TheLastEngineer, Oct 19, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

A--Orange/copper with a thin white head that leaves some lacing behind

S--NIce piney, citrus scent. Little malt smell comes through.

T--A wonderful hop bite with enough support from the malt to keep things balanced. None of the much mentioned metallic taste...the advantage of drinking beer from the tap.

M--Refreshing and light with relatively low carbonation...maybe a little think for my liking

D--A lovely, easy to drink hop attack. I really like DPA and hope that those who have it before and was not happy with it give it another chance....hopefully on tap.

Deuane, Oct 17, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +17%

I'm seriously torn on whether to give this a 4.5 or 5 on apperance.

Poured into my GABF pint glass. Head is huge and frothy and will never die. Retention is awesome as well. The beer is amber in color and I can see my fingers through the glass.

The smell of wet and dry hops comes out and rapes the nose with ectasy. Some of the caramel malts in the beer come out as the beer warms.

The beer starts out sweet with caramel malts on the front of the tongue. The beer becomes somewhat bready as it warms. MMM. The hopping of this beer must be done during a boil and dry hopped as I'm picking up characteristics of each. This is one hell of a pale ale. A hop mother for a pale ale.

The mouthfeel is very nice. Could be a slight bit more crisp and full, but very very full and the carbonation is just perfect.

I could drink this forever. If I was on a dessert island with 100 cases of this beer and somehow a refrigerator, I would be ok.

jasonjlewis, Oct 17, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -12.6%

With a pretty hard pour I got a good 2 inch head that slowly sank into a craggy pile of fluff which gave off a sappy hop aroma that was very pleasant. Piney scent is up front with very little malt presence in nose. At first the flavor shows that the nose promised, but where I usually expect a pale ale to either give me more hop flavor or open up for some complexity, the flavor just gives way to a watery finish. Its not bad, just not terribly satisfying. The mouthfeel is good for the style, and its certainly drinkable, but I wish there was a little more to it. I am left waiting for the punch.

Godot, Oct 14, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

very slightly hazy amber / orange colored brew with a one finger high slightly off white head, super sticky

fragrent, floral hops some sticky sap covered pine needles chillin in there with a buscuity caramel malt profile.

sweet malts well balanced by some floral hops with a bitter bite

creamy brew that still has a crisp slightly dry finish medium bodied with a small amount of carbonation.

a very drinkable beer

DaggerEyes, Oct 12, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +10%

Presentation: 12oz can (production code of 7 04 24 B1BA???) in a Shaker pint

BAside: many thank to a fellow Maine BA (and overall great guy) for this opportunity!

Poured a little thick, slow, steady. Wow...great hoppy nose, rich, sticky with grapefruit, pine, dull orange rind and sweet pineapple. With some air the faintest bread quality emerges from the malts. A pencil's worth of tight, creamy, compact ivory foam graced the top, settling slowly to a thin blanketing with a clinging edge ring that laced in long sheets. Perhaps the most impressive color of any APA I've tried - a deep, clouded, unfiltered peach skin hue, both crimson and gold. It has a brilliance to it...very nice.

Damn....this is nice. Blindfolded I'd guess a mild IPA in a heartbeat. Creamy, yet sharp & bitter, a most pleasing compliment to each other. Hops are full of pine & grapefruit bitterness, yet a sticky sweetness also pervaded the initial taste, again providing a great ying & yang aspect. Its very nice to have a beer that uses such polar opposites to create balance.

Semi-dry with a dull, damp, back of the mouth crunch, the overall mouth-feel is thick, full, sticky. For all the peaks it has, its very even and full, for all its angular spikes of tastes its overall very rounded. Growing drier & lighter on the palate, it starts to really level out, growing amazingly even, sweeter, and finishes bittersweet, surprisingly clean, a little filmy & coating with a bitter, gritted aftertaste that is nice.

Damn...without question one of the best APAs I've ever had. I'm actually quite surprised that its even considered as such. It really drinks like a pretty decent IPA. This would be great with a good cheddar, simple fare like burgers, maybe a rubbed steak, zesty fish dishes, etc. And from a CAN to boot!! Highly recommended, would drink again in an instant.

BuckSpin, Oct 11, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +1%

This an almost ruby red sweet syrupy beer with a nice balanced bitterness at the end. The taste is simply delicious with notes of cherry, strawberry, and grass. Sometimes I even detect a subtle cocoa flavour which give it a little bit of that chocolate-covered cherry impression. The mouthfeel is smooth and little bit on the heavy side. It is my new every-day beer...The cans are very practical.

Beercub, Oct 11, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours from a can, but pours beautifully. Excellent rocky three-finger head with lasting ring lace. The color is dark gold or light amber. No haze.

Lots of grapefruit smelling hop--fresh; slight metalic aroma. This would be the greatest flaw in the beer.

Some creaminess up front with good malty roundness that quickly gives way to the tart hop. The aftertaste is lip-puckering bitterness. Excellent body with an appropriate amount of carbonation.

I am willing to say that this is the best and most flavorful canned beer I've ever had. I've argued that canned beer would be better for the micro-industry for one major reason: The beer is preserved longer (no light-struck beer). I admire Oskar Blues for taking the chance with this.

smcolw, Oct 06, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Citrusy esters and floral hop aromas of tangerine and orange rise from a medium-light brown beer with orange highlights. The head doesn’t last but leaves a thin, clean froth of bubbles, some lacing and patches of foam sticking to the glass. Very clean, smooth malt flavors in the mouth, but the focus here is clearly the explosion of hop taste and bitterness. A dry beer with an emphasis on humulus lupulus, Dale’s Pale is quite drinkable and enjoyable for all, especially hopheads. I must comment once more about how much I like the canning movement. Environmentally sound and economically sound I imagine, I hope more craft brewers get on this and produce more killer beers in cans. It’s part of beer advocacy. Show the world just how misguided the popular conception of this very refined beverage is.

BabaJohn, Oct 06, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +22.9%

Poured from a can! Golden/amber beer, fluffy tan heady with lingering lace. Lively carbonation. Smells of a sackful of citrusy American hops. Taste is chewy, hoppy, with a great malt backbone. Perfect. Bitterness up front, malty center, with a nice, crisp, lingering hop flavor. Great mouthfeel...coats the tongue. Highly drinkable. A wonderful slap in the face for all the beer can naysayers. Easily one of my top-10 favorite beers.

bobbyc881, Sep 28, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured a 12 ounce can into a challis. This was among my first purchases from a nice micro and import beer store in Yakima, Washington.

A: It poured cloudy orange with a hint of copper sheen. There was a slight off-white head that receded quickly leaving a thin coating over the top of the brew and providing a even and pleasant lacking as I drank the beer.

S: The odor of piney hops was strong and overpowering to all other aromas.

T: It started out with a hint of creamy sweet malts that was quickly overcome by the pungent flavor of bitter hops. I picked up no fruity flavors and the malts were so muted that all I could focus on was the shock and awe on my tongue of the hops.

M: It was a light to medium bodied brew with modest carbonation. It tasted bitter in the mouth but did not leave a lingering sour or bitter flavor after I finished each sip.

D: I did not enjoy the shock from the fist sip but as I drank on it began to grow on me. It benefits from resting after the pour. After a modest rest it becomes a much smoother and creamer beer, however, it retains its bitter hop zip and relatively clean aftertaste.

Comment: I may need to try this beer again in a few months. At first I was sure I would not enjoy this beer but it grew on me and I would like a second sampling to get a better handle on this strange beer.

dnichols, Sep 25, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

This was a tasty pale ale. Poured a hazy amber when cold but warmed up and chill haze turned to clear. A nicely formed frothy head that left good lace. The smell is a crisp citrus hoppiness. There is also a sweetness of caramel malt that is detectable after some of the hop aromas settle down later in the drink. The taste starts with a citrus kick and finishes with a somewhat abrasive bitterness that lingers. The carbonation is on the higher and more coarse level, probably teaming up with the bitterness to leave that aftertaste. It's not too bad though, and this pale ale contains quite a bit of flavor and doesn't skimp on the hops.

MiScusi, Sep 17, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance - orange bronze color, maybe a tiny bit of haze. Two fingers of creamy foam slowly recede, leaving craters across the top. Chunks of lace stick to the glass.

Aroma - hops are restrained for a PA, but by far the best ever from a can. A biscuity caramel and citrusy pine team up for a moderately low level nose, but one with great balance.

Taste - straight up biscuity malts, clean resiny hops. Again, great balance despite some lack of depth/complexity, but I'm not complaining. Finishes dry, resiny, like grapefruit rind.

Mouthfeel - pretty crisp stuff, not a bad call for the format. A bit to the thin side, that's cool with me. Set up for refreshment and enjoyment.

Drinkability - all things considered, this beer takes good flavor and unbeatable convenience to make for a top notch session any time, anywhere.

brewdlyhooked13, Sep 11, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

I picked a six-pack of this up at Vail Liquors in Lionshead Village. I had read about Dave's Pale Ale and it's packaging, and wanted to see if the can obviously affected anything.

This poured up an Orange/Amber with a thin white head. The hop aroma is subdued, and there is a hint a caramel in the background. There is a slight hint of malt at the start, but the hop flavor quickly fills your mouth, finishing bitter on the back of the tongue.

Did the can affect anything? Not having had the real thing on tap, I can't say for sure. But it tastes like other brew pub IPAs, so I guess it doesn't. Too bad I can't get this in Texas.

hiikeeba, Sep 10, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Last of my 6-pack acquired in Wisconsin.

The pint pours a deep orange with nice clarity. Two fingers of dense, sudsy foam, that forms rings & sheets of lace as it diminishes. Surface has a whipped meringue sheen to it that's also nice.

Hops are resiny and fruity, tropical like mango. Pale malt surfaces too as it warms up.

Big pale malt body, slight residual hebal bitterness that triggers the salivary glands. Sort of dry in the finish, enhances drinkability. Light to medium mouthfeel, pleasant and easy to drink.

It took alot of self-control to save a can from the six-pack for a review. Two weeks from purchase no less...now I need more.

emerge077, Sep 09, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

Having heard a lot about this beer I decided to give it a try...

Serving Type: 12 oz can

Appearance: Pours a orange colour w/ a slight white head. Leaves a pleasant ring w/ a little lacing

Smell: Malty, fruity. A touch of floral...pine perhaps.

Taste: Dry and hoppy upfront. A very slight touch of pineapple but the aftertaste is strongly metallic and pine like. VERY metallic....not what I was expecting at all.

Mouthfeel: I imagined something thicker...but this is very thin and watery

Drinkability: The taste is to metallic and it is way to overpowering. You can't tell when the can ends and the beer begins. Not at all enjoyable

livingregret, Sep 04, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Ah, my first canned craft beer and it does not disappoint. This beer pours a light amber with a perfect pale ale head that will lace the glass. Aroma is heavy on caramel, giving it a distinctive English pale ale smell. Taste backs that up with a caramelly and bready malt taste that is almost sweet. There is a slight citrusy hop backbone there as well, but it is engulfed by the malts.

I was expecting this beer to be more hoppy, but this is a great beer where the English malts shine through. It could have been a bit more balanced with the American hops, but no real complaints here. A great pale ale.

saintwarrick, Sep 01, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Bright clearish orange. Soft starchy topping of off-white lumpy foam adorns the crown with steady staying power and levels off leaving tall hills along the sides as it collars. Patchy, big blotchy lacing sticks all over the place. Nice looking ale!

Dullish pale pine and old orange skins poof up the air quite well along with partially toastyness and grapefruit scraps.

Big taster with tenderly paled and toasted malt making its way across the palate quickly, letting you know you're drinking something with some guts to it. Slender pine sap and soft eager dryness floats about while touching and flinting notes of all kinds of wonderful hop notes of grapefruit pith, lemon and orange peel, and resiny pine oils. Broad and lasting with a remarkablely easy finish within its dryness and bitterness. Holds a very high standard to what a solid Pale Ale ought to be like.

Solid, affectionate body of medium/fullish girth. Loads of malt toasting and pale-izing things up with a crunchy edge of bite and carbonation allowing the finish to sneak by with an ease of slightly parching hoppy bitterness and citric pithy, peel, oilyness. Toasted dryness returns and has a nice complexing tone in the finish mixing with the citrus notes; which lasts impressionably well.

A solid Pale; and in a can even!? Nice...

Big thanks to jaxon53 for the exchange of canned goods!

tavernjef, Aug 31, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks goes out to plaid75 for this brew.

Pours a cloudy golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice small creamy off-white head, lots of nice sticky lacing follows. The nose is very nice of hops, malts, citrus, and caramel. The taste is very nice for an APA, slightly malty, big on the hops, nice citrus touch, and a good dose of caramel, nice bitter/dry finish. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is a nice APA.

Wasatch, Aug 28, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Poured out an orange/amber color with a pillowy, off-white, three-finger head. It left great rings of lace.

S - It smelled of Cascade hops and grasses. Also, a good bit of maltiness.

T - It had a great bittersweet taste with a good deal of malt and tons of hoppy kick.

M - It was crisp and very sharp. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is an outstanding APA. It smelled very good and tasted of amazing hops.

zeff80, Aug 27, 2007