Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.81/5  rDev -2.1%

Presentation: 12 oz. can into a nonic. Thanks to pokesbeerdude for sending me this one as a cool extra in a trade!

A- Clear amber appearance. Pours with 2 1/2+ fingers of off white head, which fades very slowly, leaving ample lacing.

S- Sweet pine notes dominate on the pour. As head falls, a soapy odor works its way into the mix.

T- Pine and tea-like hopiness, balanced by a touch of malty sweetness. Bitterness on the finish is fairly bold and moderately high.

M- Moderate carbonation. Medium body, and borderline creamy. Very smooth going down. A bit of residual oiliness builds as consumed.

D- Pretty good. Fairly easy drinker, though building bitterness might prevent me from wanting more than a few.

Future outlook: Another pleasantly well crafted beer-in-a-can...but only available to me via the trade-route at this time....

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass. No dating info. It was a orange-amber color with a few lazy carb streams. Good lacing. It had an average sized light beige head that settled into a partial thin film and thick collar.

The aroma was heavy on the citric hops with some pine there as well. Some grapefruit in the back. Not much of the malt made it thru. Good aroma but more like an IPA than an APA IMHO. The taste followed the aroma. Hoppy with little malt showing and again more like an IPA than an APA. Very tasty and goes down very smooth. A session APA - could be. Great hop flavor that doesn't overpower or shred so you can enjoy more than one.

Overall, a really good beer for a brewery that doesn't disappoint. Had this on tap at the brewery in Lyons couple years ago and it was amazing. Highly recommend. Earns a spot in the IPA/APA rotation.

[RR-IPA/APA; tap]

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%

12oz can in Sam Adam's glass

A: Orange, copper color with a small head that disappears quickly leaving a bit of lace.
S: Citrus hops along with some malt sweetness, a little honey as well.
T: American (citrus) hops and some caramel malts for sweetness that don't come close to overwhelming the hops.
M: Not quite crisp, there is a bit of residual sugars here that make the mouthfeel a little on the "rich" side, not inappropriate for the style, but not quite standard. The hops leave a bit of oiliness on the tongue.
D: Goes down way too easy given the alcohol level, I could drink this by the truckload. I like the over the top hops combined with what seems to be an over the top caramel malt addition. An excellent APA, highly recommended. I wish I could get this in KY.

3.91/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at Wild Wings, Charlottesville, VA. Reviewed on 04/26/09, live in the bar, while watching game 3 of the Braves/Reds series. Served in a traditional American pint glass.

Appearance: Comes to me quickly (as I was seated near the bar), a gorgeous orange amber-hued beer, replete with medium-speed but small-sized effervescence. The head is foamy, and jiggles as a unit if you bang the table - marvelous stickage. It's about one finger high, a very light shade of pale tan, and it clings remarkably well to the sides of the glass. A near-perfect looking APA.

Aroma: A sweet, biscuity, roasted malt backbone supports a light array of herbal, floral, and slightly fruity hops. It's not very varied, and for large portions of the experience is buried under the fluffy head, but it blossoms into an interesting bouquet once this one warms.

Taste: A balanced and quaffable brew. A strong, slightly caramelly backbone, relatively sweet and doughy, provides the canvass for a moderate hop bitterness and a slew of hop notes. Mostly leafy notes - some of which are a little vegetal/harsh - with some flourishes of pine and citrus, the latter more in the higher, orange/lemon register than the lower, heavier end of the spectrum. It's a solid flavor profile, but the funky vegetal aspect of some of the hop profile brings it down a little. It's also a little sweeter than I like my APAs to be.

Mouthfeel: Very fluffy, light, zippy, and crisp, certainly resulting from the high amount of fine carbonation and the relatively moderate thinness of the body. It works very well with the balance of flavors present, amplifying them in the right way.

Drinkability: Not sure how this stacks up to the canned version - it's been so long since I've had it. This one's readily available, about average as far as abv% does, and sports an interesting array of flavors and aromas, though I'm really most impressed by the presentation (gorgeous appearance, great zippy but soft mouthfeel). Nonetheless, it's a solid, quaffable brew, and sure beats the pants off anything else I could have found at Wild Wings (though I did follow it up w/ a Victory Prima Pils).

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

A very pretty golden amber in color with a good sized airy tan head. A thick sheet of lacing is left behind. Smells hoppy and fruity with a little malt sweetness in the background. Tastes exceptional, with a good citrusy hop bite at first which is not at all overwhelming. Spice, malts and more light fruits finish things up. Body is light to medium, and this one's well carbonated. Really liking this one, as the hops are quite present but just subdued enough to make for great a great mix with all the other elements. Bordering on IPA territory.

On tap at the flying sauce in Fort Worth. Amber colored in the glass. Big pillowy head. Super hop aroma through nose. Grapefruit all the way. Quite hoppy for a pale ale imo. Taste is citrusy with the grapefruit tartness shining through. Body is smooth and creamy. Might be one of the hoppier pale ale's i've had.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Wonderful amber body with a boisterous fluffy white head. Leaves plenty of lace. Fantastic appearance on this one.

S: Plenty of fruity and piny hops in this pale with underlying sweet malt. Powerful nose for a pale. I'm impressed.

T: Wish the taste lived up to the smell. Plenty of hop kick balanced by caramel malt, but the nose implies so much more. While it's no Alpha King, it's still the biggest and most ambitious pale ale I can buy locally. Kudos to that.

M: Very big for the style. Love it. Chewy, sticky, and everything nice.

D: Always nice to have some of this in the fridge. I'll add some extra love for being available in a can. Perfect for frisbee golf or other stoner related activities.

3.76/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz can poured into pint. Slightly cloudy copper brew, a chewy looking body, but still possessing a great clarity. A one finger head off white that settles into lots of wacky lacing. A classic looking beer.

Dense nose of cannibus swimming in a pool of grapefruit, towards a malt biscuit buoy. What I meant to say is that actually the malt dominates... fair enough my friend. it is a bit hard to pick up some of the other notes, but they are certainly there. The thick cannibus appears, disappears, and reappears again.

A nice variety of tastes for a pale ale - what the style strives for in my mind, that is my first impression, wait wait, as it warms, it is becoming dominated too much by the malt... drifting into an 'amber' territory that is throwing me off - I am not a big fan of that... but back on track to what I was going to say - I taste three major components here: pepper, biscuit and floral hop, each standing out in that order. Like I said, the malt seems to be bullying on its costars. Still, the real beauty to this beer is the flowery end. It hangs on to me mouth good sire, the brewers have nailed this one. While the finish is certainly dry, almost 'hollow', it is underpinned by this beautiful soothing floral hoppiness. A great way to go out.
they also nailed the carbonation. A highlight that allows all the characteristics of the beer to take turns on my tongue. Even after the bulk of the beer has left my mouth, the carbonation is dancing around on my tongue. that is great.
While I enjoy this beer and find it drinkable, I am conflicted. I think it is a bit inconsistent, every time I taste it, its slightly different. This time I am hung up on the dominance of that sharp malted biscuit.

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a cloudy gold/amber. Head is somewhat disappointing and small, only about 1/2 finger, but it's rocky and retains fairly well, leaving some light lacing. I just thought for something so hoppy poured from a can that the head was going to be crazy big.
Strong fruity hop bouquet and a touch of sweet malt and alcohol.
Flavor is hoppy all over. Very strong and citric (like orange zest). It does have some underlying sweetness throughout and a little caramel-like malt peaks through. Finish is long and bitter with an acidic hop aftertaste. A bit of warming alcohol burns away in the stomach.
Mouthfeel is smooth and even, heavy and really creamy. Finishes a little dry and puckering.
Overall it's pretty good. More like an IPA in my opinion, but a good one. Something I would return to when I'm in the mood for hops.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

This is the first offering I've tried from the Lyons, Colorado brewery best known for jumpstarting the mirco-in-a-can craze (at least in my mind).

Dale's pours with a crazy-huge head that dissipates to an eighth-of-an-inch but never goes away. At first sip, I noticed a delicious sweet malt taste with the hops coming in late. The nice balance reminded me of an ESB. As it breathed a little bit, it got hoppier (and I got happier).

Talkin' Bob says that Dale's Pale Ale is being aimed at lovers of Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. This is dangerously drinkable, and at 6.5% would ensure that nothing would get done this summer if I made this a session favorite.

3.4/5  rDev -12.6%

poured into a pint glass

looks like: apple juice

smells like: citrus

tastes like: grapefruit

feels like: quick attack, smooth long decay and fade, thin

drinks like: juice but fills the stomach quick.

i got some good advice from a good friend who loves IPA's when i said i was not fond of them. He told me Dale's Pale Ale is an awesome intro to the heavier hoppy bitter IPA's. I would have to agree it is very mild, not complex but definitely not normal. Thank you Trip Wooten.

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

I had this on tap at the Porterhouse in Lahaska PA.Poured into a pint glass and poured a clear copper color with a thick tiny bubbled white heading.

Smell is citrus hops and some sweet malts.Lacing is present throughout the tasting. A usual APA smell nothing to much more.

Taste is bitter with as usual a grapefruit aftertaste.

Mouth is medium-bodied,with decent carbonation and a grapefruit taste that just stings the tongue.

Drink is good. I don't think I could drink to many as it is too bitter and sweet.

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%

I gotta start off and say wow. I love this beer. They call it a pale ale but it's really an IPA for me and a good one at that. Have had this many times, most recently at the Flying Saucer In Houston. Poured a nice orangey amber. All various citrusy aromas, just amazing. Starts a good bitter with a smooth citrusy middle with some biscuit and ends a wonderful citrus taste in the back. I love this beer, enough said.

3.85/5  rDev -1%

My first review on Firefox and my BRAND SPANKING NEW COMPUTER!!! I'm not excited or anything.

A - Copper/sunset body with an extremely frothy white head. It's small, but manages to linger a little while in my standard pint. Good lacing.

S - Big centennial hops. That's about all I smell in that department. There is an underlying malty, sugary sweetness that lends to a fruitier vibe.

T - It's got a good flavor but has a metallic, mineral note that's present til about halfway through the glass. IPA? I don't know... it's an APA as much as Alpha King is. It's a nice, hoppy, slightly bitter APA, with a good amount of malt backbone to help it along.

M - Big mouthfeel for an APA, plus a crisp carbonation to move it along. Great in this department.

D - This is a tasty brew, and I could drink a couple in a night for sure

Notes: This is more of an IPA than anything, and looking at that, it's definitely one worth drinking if available. Though, I'm not disappointed I can't get it... I'll take Pandemonium any day :D

12 oz can. Canned on 11-22-08. Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear golden amber in color with about a finger of white head. Aroma is good with lots of citrus and pine hops. There is also a touch of bready malt far in the background. Taste is quite good. High hop flavor (citrus, pine, a bit of resin) a clean malt character, and a moderate bitterness. Good mouthfeel with medium-light body and moderate carbonation. Overall this is a solid beer. Easily drinkable and quite enjoyable.

4.28/5  rDev +10%

Excellent, excellent session beer.
This is a very tasty quaffable brew.
Lots of head that laces well on this bronzed ale. Hops are pretty up front for an APA, but its delicious as there is some balance there as well. Crisp and bright in the mouth and you could drink these all night. Great session beer. Highly recommend for this upcoming summer season.

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%

In celebration of another successful bottling operation. Ironically, I will be drinking a beer that comes in a can.

Appearance - Very nice. A great deep copper color with an inch of stark white fluffy head. Clear as day. Looks like a beer from a cartoon or something.

Smell - Not bad. Some nice citrus hops, with a hint of grass. Definite caramel malt lingering.

Taste - Definitely getting that crystal malt. It's got a nice little bitter burn on the follow. Some piney hops going on as well. Not a much citrus as I'd prefer. Got that malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Honestly, a little thin. Doesn't really linger. It's there and gone.

Drinkability - Very nice. I could have several of these and be pretty contect. That said, not lighting my world on fire.

This is a pretty good beer. It looks awesome, but didn't quite deliver. This one was canned about 2 1/2 months ago, so it's not the freshest kid around, but I don't think it should have completely deteriorated. I'll certainly give it another shot, but I'm not sure if I'm ever going to love it. I just don't think it brings the citrus goodness like I was hoping. This is a good beer, but I've loved the other Oskar's I've had, so maybe my expectations were a little unfair.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Canned on 9-01-08. Opened on 4-9-09. Can did not hiss when opened like a typical American canned beer. Pours to a creamy white head that falls to a thin layer and makes significant lacing. Color is hazy orange-amber. Aroma is strong and IPA-like with citrus hops and fresh pale and light crystal malts. Flavor is more honey-sweet than you would expect due to the crystal malts but the generous hopping seems to balance it out enough that it is not cloying. Feels great in the mouth with medium-low carbonation. Drinks like an IPA more than an APA due to the somewhat higher than average alcohol content. A very good beer I wish had larger distribution.

P.S. I think canning helps this beer stay fresh. Pale ales don't taste this good seven months old from a bottle.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Picked up a sixer at Northridge in Laramie, warm, for about $6. One of my favorites straight from the can...as terrible of a BA as it makes me, I can't honestly think of a time I have poured this beer out. Shame. Shame.

A: Light copper/orange in color with about half an inch of light tan head, pretty rocky and dense. Excellent lacing on the sides. Slightly cloudy. Looks good to me.

S: Big time hops, citrus and pine abound, a faint caramel malt is there underneath too. Smells a lot better from the glass than the can. Big strong flavors.

T: Nice bitterness, citrus hops shine, a lot more malty in the mouth than in the nose. Caramel flavors all around. Nice lingering bitterness. Definitely towards the hoppy side of the spectrum, but that isn't surprising as it notes it on the can. Hits all the right notes for me, except that I think I prefer it out of the can.

M: A little on the thick side, but still nice and refreshing. Slight alcohol heat on this one too.

D: Easy drinker, this is a little on the strong side for a true session, but it's a good beer to sit down and have a couple after work. As terrible as it is, I think I will continue to enjoy this beer straight outta the can.

3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

This is a pretty good pale ale, but not great, beig a little bland and thin, and with little too much grapefruit for me.

Orange-amber, it has a medium off-white head slowly shrinking to a foamy ring.

The aroma is grapefruit, grape, raisin, hints of bread crust and pine.

The taste is grapefruit up front but with a lot of syrupy grape and grain - light on flavour and mostly sweet, along with some faint, thin fruit and a hint of piney-leafiness. It's a bit too sweet up front while the finish is slightly too bitter, and it has a lingering bitterness afterwards. It is not overly bitter but the elements don't integrate and balance very well while utlimtately it's somewhat one-dimensional and bland. It's fairly full-bodied in feel and has well-rounded range of elements but they are too thin and don't work well together.

3.21/5  rDev -17.5%

Presentation: Poured from 12 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a gorgeous deep orangey/yellow color that reminds me of a fire. Nice 1 1/2 finger head too with great lacing on the glass. It doesn't get much better than this.

S: Smells strongly of pine without much cirtus or really anything else to the hops which I really want when I drink a hoppy beer. Dominated by pine, but clean nonetheless.

T: I really can't get over the pine and bitterness the hops present here. I don't think they're using whole cone hops based on the lack of hop oils here. Certainly not up to par with Sierra Nevada in taste, mouthfeel, or smell. I should note I am NOT a hophead, but I do enjoy them when balanced with the malt backbone. This didn't have enough of one to balance it and was too hoppy for my tastes. Also a little drier than I would like.

M: Undercarbonated and not creamy enough. I find my self wanting the "creamy" aspect of mouthfeels all to often, and very few beers deliver it. This is no exception.

D: I think if it was ice cold and I was on a golf course or at a pool party this beer would be a lot more drinkable than it was. No alcohol detected at all which is good. Given a 70 degree night on a nice patio I didn't find it refreshing enough to have more than one. I did enjoy it, just not a lot.

Overall I think Dale's has a nice attempt here, but too bitter and the hops are just a little overdone for a Pale Ale. If this was called IPA I think I might feel slightly different about it. Regardless the can is a neat novelty that I think should stick around in craft brewing and Oskar Blues is doing a nice job working toward that end. Very good pricing on this one as well.

4.06/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pale orange colored, clear body with a long-lasting head which leaves sheets of lacing

S- Potent aroma of hops reminds me of soap with citrus smells of grapefruit and some pine

T- Taste is more well-balanced then the smell lead me to expect. Good pale malt base with some extra sweetness from perhaps crystal or caramel malts.

M- Perfect carbonation level and a light body with some slickness from all the hop oils

D- Killer drink. Bold and interesting flavor without being overbearing.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A nice looking beer from a can, clear yellow with a 2 inch white head, great lace.

Big hop nose, spicy and it has grapefruit hops. Big hop taste, but the malt hits you in the background. Light malt, but just right. Very spicy, amarillo hops, not sure, but it finishes nicely balanced.

Good mouthfeel, an easy drinker, a very good APA for the price. Keep some around if you can find it.

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

Appearance: big 1/2 inch head, clear amber with medium carbonation

Smell:hops, grapefruit, pine, and a bit of malt

Taste: hops, grapefruit, pine, and a bit of malt

Mouthfeel: starts with a tad of sweetness, and has a strong hoppy finish--dry with a medium body

Drinkability: To me, this is an average American Pale, nothing more. A little on the hoppy side. Nothing I wouldn't have again, nothing i will go out of my way for.

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%

This is an awfully big APA, and I love it. The boys at Oskar Blues probably had a lot of fun putting this together.

For some reason, I really enjoyed pouring this beer from a can. Its a burnt orange, hazy tone, with a somewhat thin head that laces beautifully and retains well.

The smell is absolutely wonderful. There's a strong butterscotch character that leaps out front, but that's accompanied by supporting roles played by citrus, herbs, and a touch of pine. this is a very hoppy brew indeed.

The flavor is somewhat muted compared to the nose, but delicious nonetheless. The hop character is somewhat more pronounced than the malts, at least on the initial tasting. The beginning and end of the flavor are hop strong, but the middle is where the sweetness of the malts come out. it's a nice flavor. Good bitterness. Great malt elements, and fantastic hop qualities. Citrus, herbals, carmel malts. Yum.

The mouthfeel is wonderful. Very soft and smooth. The drinkablity is spectacular.

This is, solidly, the best beer I have ever had from a can.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew