Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

I am on vacation and my wife and friends were looking at me popping open a can of beer dumbfounded. Baaa drinl your wine and leave me alone!

A- Upon opening I thought it was a bit flat then it started coming out the top like a nitro can.
Poured a deep copper with a full tan head. good head retention and nice lacing of the glass.

S- Hoppy plus malt, a bit sweet and I am a bit stuffy today so thats all...

T- MMM Mmmmm! It was not really cold and it was good. I liked the maltiness in the background in addition to the hoppiness that is what is expected with this

M- Carbonation was less than expected with the head, really smoothe and almost creamy.

D- A bit higher than anticipated, I am already thru 2 and it is not even 4:30 in the afternoonI may have found a new go to for the fall.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Nice thick head, and golden brown.

S: Oskar Blue's brews seem to have this distinct hop/malt aroma. Kind of a musty juicy salty caramel malt. I actually like it a lot.

T/M: Good mouthfeel, taste, again is very unique to me and folows the nose. A nice hop presence, and a lot of malt which is nice and helps to belance.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

355ml can. D.P. Eh? A perfect sentiment for this Canuck visitor, I'd say.

This beer pours a glassy medium golden copper amber hue, with two fat fingers of densely foamy, bubbly off-white head, which leaves a decent array of hovering rain cloud lace around the glass as it slowly ebbs out of sight.

It smells of sweet candied orange and grapefruit citrus, caramel toffee malt, a decent dose of pine resin, a hint of dry honey, and a mildly medicinal alcohol astringency. The taste is more semi-sweet grapefruit and orange fleshy fruitiness, a sturdy bready caramel malt backbone, fading forest floor pine notes, and a small floral perfumed booze warmth.

The carbonation is fairly understated, yet generally supportive, the body a hefty medium weight, and rather smooth, without invasive peril. It finishes on the more or less sweet side, and from both angles, as the hops and malt both contribute equally to this late cause.

Overall, this beer is quite big on flavour, even if that seems to be an excuse to push it to the IPA brink and hover. A prototypical version of an APA with hopes and dreams of style escalation, but still one mired in the adulation of its current station - oh, shoot. Still the best canned beer that I've had in recent memory.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful-looking beer. Golden brown color with a thick frothy top. Aroma is a little mild but citrus and malty. Citrus flavors with a hop profile there from start to finish, although still managing to be balanced. The rougher side of medium-bodied with a perfect amount of carbonation.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Nice dark golden honey color. Good, thick tan head with excellent retention and excellent lacing, to boot.

Big pine resin presence in the nose. A little bit of grapefruitey/citrusey notes. A nice wheat smell. Decent malt appearance, here, suprisingly. Slight sweet breads.

Breakfast rolls laced with caramel, sitting in a small pine tree. Hops presence is here, though not as over-dominating as I'd imagined from the nose. Kiss of citrus/grapefruit.
Nice touches of floral notes. Some very nice malt sweetness, for a tiny bit of balance.

Clean, crisp carbonation level. Feels more akin to a DIPA than an APA, to me, but that's not a complaint. Nice and smooth and a good level of creaminess.

Drinkability is very good. Hops are not my thing, in general, so I'd purchase other things more frequently than this. Although I would gladly put this one into the purchasing rotation schedule.

A: Poured a dirty coppery-orange with light marzen highlights. A modest 2 finger creamy, ivory-bone colored head sits atop displaying good retention while leaving a spiderweb like lacing on the way down. Visible carbonation appeared fairly strong.

S: The nose had a big, fresh citrusy nature to it, with some some bready malting. Fresh pine and sweet caramel also linger about.

T: spicy citrus hops of fresh pine brought about by a brisk and strong carbonation factor. Sweet caramel, bready with some piney hops make for a classic example. I thought I detected faint traces of my favorite C hop Columbus in there as well giving off a pungent flowery taste. Classic by example, crisp with a big dose of hopping.

M: crisp, well carbonated with a lively carbonation bringing out the bright citrusy nature of this drink and leaving a nice tingly sensation behind.

D: A crisp, lively and very drinkable APA that is conviently packaged in a can that enchances transportability while not hindering drinkability or flavor. Six pack worthy.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

pours a golden orange with a moderate two finger fluffy white head. that settles on top. stays nicely for a minute or so. moderate lacing.

smells good. a nice balance of subtle sweet malt and fresh piney/ grassy hops.

taste is good. not to complex. just a simple tasty pale ale. the thing i like about this beer is it doesn't try to be something that it isn't, that in and of itself makes this a solid selection for me.

mouth is a bit thin but good. not overbearing with the carbonation. but it plays nicely with my mouth as i finish the last sip.

i would drink this again. not sure it would be my first choice on a pale ale but i wouldn't think twice about reaching for one.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

I poured this one from a 12oz can into a shaker pint glass.

A= This ale poured a cloudy dark orange color with a beautiful 1" creamy white head. The head showed incredible retention, never dropping below 1/4" and it left huge sheets of sticky lace down the glass.

S= This ale smelled of strong pine and citrusy hops, lemon grass, and a strong biscuity malt backbone. Some nice fruity esters in there too.

T= This was very much like an IPA as opposed to a traditional pale ale. The taste profile started out all pine and citrus hops followed closely by lots of biscuity malts which balanced the brew nicely. The estery yeast was fruity and delicious. The finish was mildly alcoholic and pleasantly bitter.

MF= Medium bodied, but very full for a mere APA. The body felt more like a big IPA or a thin DIPA to me. The carbonation was crisp and lifted the feel considerably.

D= Very drinkable, very sessionable. This is a really freaking good pale ale and one I will gladly seek out again!

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Damn, what a great session beer. Pours a beautifully clear light copper with a nice amount of head.
Smell is very hoppy yet with a huge malt presence. Damn massive for just a pale ale.
Taste is sweet and biscuty. Very malty, rich and dense. So easy to drink.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

A very good beer that lives up to the hype. The tap delivers a well-carbonated copper hue with firm, froathy head formation and great retention- lots of lacing on the glass. A mild has persists, likely from dry-hopping. Aromas of abundant hops- a lot of grapefruit, orange zest, pine, and lemon grass. A firm malt backbone follows with low-lying sweetness and hints of bready crusts. Low fruitiness from esters and low phenolics. Flavors bring about a crisp malty flavor with low sweetness (only to balance). The hops are definately showcased with a burst of flavors like those found in the nose. The malts round out the hops with light fruitiness (kinda English-like only better attenuated). The body is medium, yet firm with a crisp, malty snappyness. Finishes with a clean, dry, hoppy note. On par with Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A-Pours a clear orange amber with a fluffy white head and some nice lacing.

S-Citrusy hops with some floral hop notes and some nice maltiness.

T-Good malt in the front with a very strong citrus hop bite in the finish.

M-Light and crisp, moderately dry with good carbonation.

D-Extremely sessionable, a great beer.

HV

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Sipped from the can (couldn't resist), then poured into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy amber with a one finger head. Tons of lace.

Nice buttery, floral, piney hop aromas. Taste is good and sticky, with piney hop flavors, a little diacetyl and a great bitterness. A really well balanced pale ale.

Medium bodied with awesome drinkability.

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brewery pours a very nice dark deep amber color with a fluffy 2 finger head. This beer has a great hoppy and malty aroma. Carbonation is perfect. While the beer has all the typical APA flavor with malt, hops, and citrus, I must point out that its main strength lies in its balance of all three. I find it to be very pleasing on the tongue with an almost creamy texture. Most interesting. It's the best beer in a can I've ever tasted although I had mine in a glass. A must try.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a semi cloudy light orange color with a small head and decent lacing.

Scent of caramel malts, hops, and citrus. Simple and sweet, I like it.

Taste of bready malts, subtle hops, citrus and some sugars cut the slight edge. A nice, solid, well balanced American Pale Ale.

Mouthfeel light, but somewhat oily, I would prefer this to be a bit sharper.

If this stuff were half the price I would but it by the case; it's not bad by any means, just not spectacular.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Should be kept in the can but if poured, you'll see a nice amber/orange color. The can really masks the smell of sweet, sweet hops but you'll get a whiff when you drink it. This doens't seem to be a very complicated pale ale but that doesn't make it a less impressive brew. Oskar Blues defintiely doesn't get the respect they deserve. This is a great beer. One of my top five pales. Pack it in, pack it out. Word!

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Moose3285 - yeah, you - thanks for sending me my first taste of Dale's, compadre, in another fine trade.

The "Appearance" category gets some huge props for the "Pack it in, pack it out" message on the back of the can. Being a devotee of the Boundary Water Canoe area here in the northland, I'm a promoter of exactly that credo. Kudos to the brewer.

Interesting beer. Defintely doesn't fit the style; some hops but not enough; not that clean, crips taste; more like an organice IPA, with that musty leaf taste I always associate with either unfiltered or organic beers. That said, the muddled taste is appealing & horrifically easy to drink. I could see downing these one after another next to the barbie.

All in all a beer that would never get kicked to the curb in this house.

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

I am in love with this beer. It's not available in my state but I make sure to grab a 12 pack whenever I'm up in Wisconsin, and I always drink it when I got to Colorado. The main reason I'm writing this is to remind any would-be naysayers to TRY THIS BEER IN THE CAN. Don't pour it into a glass. You heard me. I know most beers are meant for glassware and taste better that way but in my opinion, some beers are better out of the can/bottle. Not many, but there are some. And this is one of them.

A couple of my favorite Dale's moments- drinking a cold can of Dale's in the A-Basin parking lot during snowboarding, drinking a cold can of Dale's on a hike at Estes National Park (yes I packed my trash out).

I've also been to the brewery in Lyons, CO. Very cool place. This is hands down my favorite pale ale.

Sorry this isn't a "proper" review but there are MANY below to read. Thanks.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

I took one last tubing trip down the Mighty Dan River, and man am i glad I had this beer to accompany me!

This beer comes in a can, it is the ONLY pale ale I can find around here that comes in a can, so it was a must have for this day long trip down the river! Glass and rivers are a bad combination!

I was very surprised by the taste of a canned beer! This beer is exceptional especially when you think about how long it has been stored in metal!
Usually the only metal I want my beer touching is the inside of a keg, the end of a draught line, or a woman's tongue ring....

This beer was outstanding and exceeded expectations! Dales pale Ale you have a fan in me!!!

4.28/5  rDev +10%

One of the best beers I have had in a can. For the record I am a big hophead. Very reasonable price for a great beer. Citrus, sticky, piney hop notes on the first sip of the hazy orange small headed pour. Great chilled for about a half hour in the fridge, nice drinkable nature, not to harsh able to have a good session.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

12oz can from a liquor store in northern Mass. Pours a hazy amber-orange with a good half inch of off-white head. Smells strongly of grapefruit/citrus hops with hints of caramel malt. Tastes like citrussy hops first, with undertones of caramel and biscuit malt. On the heavy side of medium bodied with moderate carbonation - flirting with viscosity without hitting it or losing drinkability. An exquisite APA for sure - one I'll be drinking as regularly as I am able to. Good stuff.

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

A- nice looking beer, with a cooper color, thin head and sticky lace
S- nice hoppy aroma, all the usual citrus notes of a good IPA along with piney notes

T- Malts are in the background, but they're there enough to provide balance and to go along with the hop profile, the IBUs are noticeable as the clean bitterness lingers nicely. Crisp and refreshing feel to this beer.
M- Medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Easy drinking tasty APA.

D- I love this beer, one of my favorite if not favorite APA, love it on a golf course or in the backyard. Hops come through so nice, actually enjoy this more the their Gordan DIPA offereing.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Best beer I've had from a can. Poured into a pint glass you will notice a bright copper color and nice thick creamy head. Aroma is full of citrus hops backed by sweet caramel malt.

The flavor is outstanding, the balance of hops and malt is right on for my taste. Sweet caramel, grapefruit, pine, with a nice clean finish. Very drinkable. Don't let the can fool you, this is good stuff.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass. 10/08/08.

Pours a light orange-amber color with about two fingers of beige head. Aroma is lots of caramel malt and citrusy hops, with some grapefruit as well.

Taste starts with a slightly sweet caramel malt flavor. That is quickly followed by bitter citrus hops. Plenty of grapefruit in the taste, as well as some orange and tangerine.

Feel is slick and smooth with ample carbonation. Medium-full body. Leaves a bitter aftertaste for awhile. Drinkability is decent, though the aftertaste gets to me after awhile. I don't think I'd want more than a couple of these.

Pretty good pale ale, though not the most drinkable to me. Definitely worth a try though.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

This poured a hazy bright copper with a bit of light tan head. It smelled like strong orange and copper hops with light honey malt and some lemon yeast. It tasted like a sweet and bitter blend of orange, peach, and copper hops balanced with honey malt. It was somewhat thick with no carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a great pale ale with nice, clean taste and great body. It wasn't as boring or bland as most other pale ales. Another success for Oskar!

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass.

A: A medium amber orange color with a thick creamy off white one finger head.

S: Sweet caramel malts and a nice piney citrus hop smell.

T: First taste on the tongue is definitely the sweet caramel honey malt flavor with some hints of grainyness, in fact it is quite intense. The malt is quickly followed by a nice citrus pine hop flavor on the back end that lingers in the mouth until finish. All along the malt profile hangs in and never leaves the mouth. Quite a full bodied beer for a pale ale.

M: Full, the beer really coats the mouth very nicely and hangs on in bitterness. N hints of alcohol.

D: Medium to me. I enjoyed the beer, but could I drink this all night long? I'm not sure, the sweetness seemed a bit cloying almost.

Overall this was a real suprise. This is a totally different type of pale ale that I'm going to call extreme, so almost an imperial pale ale. The maltiness and hops are both very bold and almost fall into an IPA catagory. Still it's a very good beer and amazing what OB did with it.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew