Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Alright I am not gonna lie I was a bit skeptical going in a craft beer from a can?!?!?! But it is damn good.

Alright appearance to me was not all that impressive. It is a bit darker then most pale ales i have drank with a coppery color to it. It also has a decent head and some decent lacing but nothing spectacular.

The smell is great. If I had this beer a year ago I would have hated it because of hoppy it smells it smells like an IPA to me. Its amazing to see how my palate and nose has changed over the last year. The smell is extremly hoppy to me and to me the hop presence is soo overpowering its all i really get out of the smell of this beer.

Now the taste of this beer is great after getting such a huge hop presence out of the nose I was expecting a major hopbomb is the taste but boy was I wrong. The taste of this beer is amazing a great citrus hop tasted backed up by an amazing malt presence that really balances this beer out.

This beer has a great monthfeel to it and with good carbonation.

I usally don't find really hoppy beers all the drinkable but this is thanks to the amazing malt presence that makes it such a great pale ale.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Darker than you might expect from a pale ale, copper, with no head likely due to a wet glass and poor pour. Clear. Balance of malt sweetness and citrus hops. First taste is well balanced, more IPA than Pale Ale. Somewhat sweet but yet well hopped. Pepperiness in the finish.

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

A- Burnt orange with a big three finger white head that left rings of lace.

S- The smell was a mixture of sweet malt and citrus hops.

T- The taste started off with a sweet honey/caramel malt which was followed by some citrus hop presence and a bitter finish. The more I drank the more the malt sweetness took over.

M- Good feel. Smooth medium body with good carbonation.

D- Average, due to the higher ABV and the big, sweet, malt body.

Overall, the beer was more on the malty sweet side than the hoppy side. It may have not been very fresh, and I got the feeling that hops had faded some. I did still like the beer so I didn't drop the score based on this, but I will be looking for this again to see if freshness was actually an issue.

Canned craft beer, what a concept, and I like it.

A-Golden copper amber with filtered clarity and a creamy white head that settles rapidly.

S-Pungent grapefruit hops and malts with neither taking the lead but leaving the impression of a good balance.

T-The balance comes through in the taste, with both the citrus hops and caramel malts present at the front, middle and end of the palate. Astringent bitterness at the extreme back of the finish. Pretty simple, but pretty decent. Crisp and refreshing.

M-Well balanced, medium, and lightly oily, but nice overall.

D-This is a very drinkable beer, bring it on....

3.72/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into 10oz glass, the remnants slammed from the can. Poured a cloudy orange-amber color with 1/2 inch of just off-white head that quickly dissipated leaving a bit more than slight lacing.

A nice hop aroma greets the nose, with a touch of malt on the back. The flavors are more matched and balanced than the aromas led me to expect. Citrus hops up front, some pine hop taste to match up with the malt on the finish.

Typical Pale Ale body, maybe a touch fuller than most. I could have several without working too hard at it. Worth trying.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

07/13/09- Purchased at Whole Foods in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- 12oz can. Did not look for a freshness date. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Medium to darker amber colored pour. Nice larger one inch plus thick and somewhat creamy head. Good head retention and some nice lace sheeting and patches left behind.

Smell- A nice mix of both bready and earthy malt while also having a good whiff of grapefruit/pine hops.

Taste- Pretty well balanced with the hops leading the way by a bit. Bready, but not over the top. Hops have a nice crisp fruity flavor. Tastes very fresh.

Mouthfeel- Crisp, lightly chewy and a good bitter kick in the aftertaste.

Drinkability- One of the better APA's out there. Not blow you away hoppy as to mask as an IPA, but a nice balanced brew with a touch more on the hops. Quality! Also on sale for $4.99 a six pack...a steal at the time.

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%

Third beer I have had from the Oskar Blues crew and all I can say is WOW! I love this beer.

A- Pours a golden color with a hint of orange, nice thick head that leaves a very thin sheet of lacing on the glass.

S- I love this smell hoppy with more hops on top of hops. What a smell, not a pale ale at all, IPA all the way and one that smells amazing.

T- hops hit first, bitter and fruity, grapefruit with citrus and a dash of pine. Nice malt in the background as well, I am loving this beer!

M- Smooth and silky, very drinkable. I had a sixer of this and Old Chub on the Guadalupe and they were amazing!

D- perfect for the hot humid Houston summer. Taste great by the pool or on the river. The lower ABV makes this a great session for the summer heat.

Dale's is by far my favorite from Oskar Blues it is a IPA, not a pale ale, but that is ok by me. I prefer an IPA over a pale, and this one kicks ass!

3.58/5  rDev -8%

A - Golden orange with a thin white head and sticky patches of lace.

S - Floral and fruity hops with grainy, lightcaramel malts mixed in.Very soft and light.

T - Mild bitterness followed by sweet grainy, caramel malts. The caramel is stronger than in the aroma. Floral and spicy hops round it out but this is on the malty side for a pale ale.

M - Light with average carbonation. Goes down easy.

D - This would be better with a little more hop presence. I think I like this one the least of the Oskar Blues cans I have tried.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Yea, the can serving of these brews are deceptive. Very good Pale Ale here going down.

The pour is not too thin maybe medium bodied with little head and some nice lacing. The smell is of hops and piney notes. The taste is hoppy with a little bite! There is little alcohol taste and the brew tastes just as it appears, medium bodied on the palate.

Overall this brew is a very kind offering. The can pours a very nice golden amber brew and surprised me! Very satisfied on this one and will be drinking plenty, if that says anything about the drinkability.

Rock on Oskar Blues G & B, Ten Fidy - Yer next!

4.67/5  rDev +20.1%

While I'm not the most educated beer drinker; as opposed to other member's here this is a very nice drink. Goes down smooth and tastes very similar to an amber. This and 21st amendment brewery are making very commendable beers in cans. Great taste and smell

4.29/5  rDev +10.3%

I really enjoy this beer and was glad to go to Colorado to get it again so I could review it.

L: It has a nice light amber brown color and is a tad cloudy; there wasn't too much head though

S: Very nice sweet and hoppy smell. This is a fresh brew, and I can smell that.

T: Hoppy; slightly fruity; there is a touch of alcohol burn on the way down

F: Pretty smooth mouth feel; quite velvety and creamy for such a hoppy beer

D: Quite drinkable; this is a good bbq or lawn mowing beer, although the more you drink the more it burns (just a little).

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Other than Guinness with the nitro widgets, this is the first beer I have had from a can in over decade.

Poured in a pint glass. Very nice appearance. Clean, deep orange color with a nice amount of carbonation.

Smell is hoppy, lighert than I expected.

Taste is very good. Bready malt backbone with nice, sweet caramel malts. A little peppery. I'd say it's about half citusy hops, 40% pine hops, and 10% other hops. Finish is bitter and dry. You may notice a little metallic taste with the first few sips, but after that, it's gone and not enough to complain about. Hey, pretty much all beer spends some time in a metal container! It doesn't permanently do anything to the beer!

Mouthfeel is nice. Light to medium-light bodied.

Drinkability is great. Good for a barbecue or cookout!

4.37/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a lovely deep amber, with really nice lacing and head retention. It just looks like a well brewed beer.

The aroma is maybe chinook hops, or something west coast that has an earthy, citrusy, almost ripe pineapple to it. Smells better than a lot of IPAs. Just juicy and wonderful. I'm not sure whether to snort this or drink this--the aroma just adds so much to the total drinking experience. Awesome.

The taste is wonderful with biscuity pale malt and crystal malt right on par with a c-hop (Columbus? Centenial? Chinook? I can't quite peg it) flavor and bitterness that imparts a nice fruitiness. It might almost be straddling the lines between a pale ale and an IPA, and no bad thing. The hops are an unusual blend of earthy and grapefruit, and whatever it is it works really well and makes for an interesting and engaging, highly enjoyable beer.

Moutfhfeel is full, lightly chewy, crisp, and just fantastically satisfying.

This was the best beer from a can I had ever had until I discovered Surly, but it's still right up there in the top five.

Poured from the 12 oz can into a pint glass. Cloudy amber beer beneath two fingers of foam. Smells like hops and grain. Tastes almost like an IPA. More than enough hops to be interesting. Surprisingly good mouthfeel and finish. I've never had this ale before but I will recomend it to my curious friends.

3.71/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz can poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a cloudy dark gold with a voluminous head.

S - A hoppy herbal aroma with a hint of citrus.

T - Extremely high on hop bitterness for an APA. It's interesting in that I pick up very little of the citrus or pine notes found in other APAs/IPAs. Instead the hops show up by way of a very clean bitterness. In fact this is probably the most crisp and straightforward pale ale I've ever had. Interesting to say the least.

M - Fairly light on the carbonation with a medium body.

D - It's so clean finishing that you could have a lot of these. The bitterness fades away quickly.

I like this beer but it's just so different from other examples in the style I don't know what to think. Definitely one to try if you like bitter beers that aren't saturated with citrus.

2.93/5  rDev -24.7%

Pours a copper color with a very thick two finger head that when you start drinking gives way to a lot of lacing. The smell is of earthy hops and malt. The taste of the beer was of earthy hops at the end and middle. There was a hint of malt up front to the beer. The mouthfeel was dry. There wasn't alot of carbonation in the beer. The drinkability was okay, the beer had a more earthy hop taste that I wasn't expecting for a pale ale. I thought this was more along the line of an IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

I just had this for the first time at a BBQ. I drank it straight from the can so I really can't comment on appearance. I was shocked by the hoppy goodness of this beer. Very lite spicy hop aroma, citrus and pine, drifted out of the cans's opening. Light flavors of malt mixed with hops and a perfect bitter aftertaste. A very refreshing beer, light in nature but with enough hop flavor to have you coming back for more. A great introductory beer for people who have yet to acquire a taste for finer beer. This beer will have a place in my fridge to push onto my friends.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

A: Medium amber with a nice two-finger head that leaves lots of lacing. The can sure makes for an easy pour.

S: Citrusy hops and caramel-honey malts together in perfect harmony.

T: Big rush of grapefruity hops in the front and bitterness in the back. In the middle, the biscuity honeyish malts make their presence known. Again, excellent balance.

M: Medium thickness, a bit syrupy.

D: More of an IPA than a pale ale, and definitely one of the better ones. I'd put it in the same league as Two Hearted and Racer 5. I guess I'll have to revise my review of Ten Fidy, because this is the best beer in a can I've ever had.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a cloudy orange with light white head. Hops and evergreen in the nose, pleasant and light. Slight caramel from the malt, toffee, fresh fruity hops, and some spice in the finish. Smooth, light-medium body with medium carb. Wonderfully drinkable, flavorful yet light on the palate and stomach.

3.81/5  rDev -2.1%

12oz can poured into a shaped pint glass.

Dale's Pale Ale poured a hazy dark copper with a thick creamy three-finger head that left tons of thick creamy lace. The appearance was near-perfect.

The smell and taste were earthy, like wet grass and pine, with maybe a hint of citrus. The feel was chewy and very bitter for pale ale. It was easy to drink, but had a lot of complexity.

Dale's Pale Ale feels like camping in the woods. It's a slightly aggressive go-to beer that has more character than typical pale ales.

2.94/5  rDev -24.4%

A--Bubbly, cloudy copper color with a thin layer of head in my pint glass

S--Mostly caramel malts, not really smelling much at all in the way of hops

T--Taste follows suit...where are the hops? I know this is just an APA, but I still expect at least a halfway decent hop profile. There is a bit of cat piss, but other than that it is just caramel maltiness.

M--Fine for the style

D--Perhaps the Union Jack IPA I had before this ruined my palate? I just don't get this beer, it is nowhere near above average

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

best beer I've had in a can, hands down. Took a reccomendation and tried it, drank out of a can and plastic cup

This was a really nice, basic pale ale, certainly not overhopped like the label implied, but not lacking either. Almost like a half ipa.

Not too much pine, but some nice citrus and a dry hop bitterness. Solid and straightforward pale ale

Finally made my trip to Hudson today to pick some of this up. Started out as a bad experience because I paid $9.99 for a sixer at Casanova (I thought that was more than fair for the hype this beer gets) but when I went to Chicones I saw it for $6.78 a sixer. Oh well, one way or another it's getting in my belly!

Poured into a pint glass, this one is golden with a deep amber tint. Darker than the "typical" pale ale, but typical of a "good" IPA, if that makes sense. Creamy off white head has good retention and lacing. Light carbonation finishes off the look. P.S. love the can design.

The aroma on this one is hoppy! Big surprise there, huh? Oskar Blues isn't messing around with this one. There is enough bitterness in the nose that in a blind testing, you would call it an IPA. Big fan right here.

The taste doesn't let down either. There is a reason this beer get the hype it does, and it's not the can. There is a serious amount of hop action going on here, way to much for a Pale Ale. I don't know why they don't just call this an IPA, it's not like there is a magical IBU cutoff line. Maybe it is to get people who are scared of words like "IPA" to try new things, who knows. This one packs a serious hoppy piney punch. Great for anyone who wants a cheap hop fix.

The mouthfeel is more medium than light, and sort of sticky. Great drinkability.

Don't fear the can! Highly recommended. Oskar Blues, come to Minnesota!

One very different kinda brew you either get or you don't, and I don't get this one. Keeping in tradition I drank it out of the can, so I haven't a clue what it looks like or if it has any type of head at all. So I rated that blindly and back tracked from the taste profile and called it even. The taste is really the clincher anyway. To be honest I thought it tasted strange, not bad but weirdly different. Thy say it's a hoppy muther on a beer, but it doesn't taste hoppy in the sense that an IPA is hoppy. Mouth feel is kinda thick and viscous, followed by the strange taste, and the finish lasts forever and not in a good way. It is drinkable and I only had a six, so maybe it grows on you, I don't know. From the other reviews I was expecting more, and to top it off it really isn't all that cheap. Obviously worth a try. but I can buy Hop Devil or Sweetwater for a buck more a six, and that's no contest.

11-6-10- A quick edit. I have to admit my 1st impression was a bit harsh, tried it again and i really enjoyed the 2nd go round. The only difference was where I bought it from which ,may have been a problem, still a little quirky of the taste buds typical from SKA, one you either like or hate. I still drink it out of the can and it's a nice beach or pool brew, but I'd bump up the taste to at least a 4.

4.51/5  rDev +15.9%

A=to me presentation is as much a part of the appearance as the color and head, the can presentation is great, I Love It. Pours a darker than expected copper, some haze. Head is about two fingers and sticks around quite a while.

S=interestingly enough my nose first picks up the malts, then the hops.

T=citrusy hops with a nice balance of malts to finish

M=very enjoyable light carbonation

D=this has become a staple in my beer fridge as what I go to when I just can't decide what I want. Very sessionable.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew