Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,849 | Hads: 6,823
3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

A- Burnt orange with a big three finger white head that left rings of lace.

S- The smell was a mixture of sweet malt and citrus hops.

T- The taste started off with a sweet honey/caramel malt which was followed by some citrus hop presence and a bitter finish. The more I drank the more the malt sweetness took over.

M- Good feel. Smooth medium body with good carbonation.

D- Average, due to the higher ABV and the big, sweet, malt body.

Overall, the beer was more on the malty sweet side than the hoppy side. It may have not been very fresh, and I got the feeling that hops had faded some. I did still like the beer so I didn't drop the score based on this, but I will be looking for this again to see if freshness was actually an issue.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

A: The head on this beer is very small, however it sticks around and is relatively sticky the hazed copper color is also nice
S: none, none that i can pick up, no "traditional" hop aroma or anything that would indicate what type of beer this is
T: this seems apa, its hoppy with a twang of dry bitterness, there is an undercurrent of malt and there is somewhat citrus type notes
M/D: this beer has a drying effect in the mouth which to a degree is nice, but i feel this might be a bit too much its not bad, but drops the score a tad

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

After 30 min. in the glass, small amount of head remains. Small amount of lace follows the beer as it is swirled. The smell is good ol' pine and a hint of biscuit. Drinks quite well, with fair bitterness upfront and a biscuit smooth in the back.

Poured a 12 oz can into a pint glass

A: Pours a burnt sienna (straight out of the crayola box), one finger head, slight lacing, good carbonation around the head.

S: Not a strong scent - light pine.

T: Taste is mainly pine, mild hop after. Alcohol is very masked

M: Really enjoy the consistency of this, quite nice. Nice mild carb biting at the tongue.

D: Very smooth, and not over powering in the bitters, makes this great for a session.

I was a bit disappointed by this - as nothing really reached out and grabbed me, and I had heard so much about it. Though it's a well built pale ale, and true to its form.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

I want to like this beer. But I can drink about one can before I get sick of it. A large dose of grapefruit with a lingering bitterness that just isn't pleasant. Hoppy, but not flowery to me. And not in the least bit refreshing. I like it less as I drink more of it. So maybe I'll just stop.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

an aggressive pour reveals a cloudy, orange, somewhat hazy pale. It has a nice head with decent lacing. The smell is some murky, faint hops, I can't put my finger on which kind. Somewhat piney, with a little bit of sweetness and citrus. The taste is more citrus, and a little bit of sour, not much sweetness. Finishes dry, and a lingering bitterness insues. The mouthfeel is somewhat sticky, but pretty well rounded. Not the most drinkable pale I have had, but not bad. would be a good summer day beer or a garage kind of beer.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

A - Poured from a red, white and blue can on Memorial day as part of my pre-game festivities. Nice looking beer, opaue orange with a fluffy white head of about 2 fingers

S - Citrusy, piney, earthy hops dominate but there is a mixture of sweet malts as well.

T - Taste is strong pine hops. For a ple ale it is very hop forward, and on the bitter side. Taste is not nearly as balanced as the nose would leave me to believe. As it warms the sweetness form the malts starts to make its presence felt.

M - Thin mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, a little bit on the watery side

O - Definitely hoppier than a normal pale ale, so for me at least it is a little bit less drinkable on a hot summer day. The ABV is also uite high for a pale ale so you need to be careful with this.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

12oz can into my Darkness tulip...Pours a dark copper with a nice light off white head, good retention and lacing...An aroma that is too sweet giving off lots of bread and pineapple with only a hint of hops on the back. Not doing a ton for me...A rather plain and boring taste of light pineapple and light toffee. The hops are basically hidden, only a hint of esb wet alcohol hops on the back. Not offensive, but just boring.

An easy to drink beer, not a pale ale, but pretty boring.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am drinking this beer and watching the film Fargo. This beer reminds me of William H. Macy, it is warm, sweet, familiar. It has a large hop presence like that of Macy's ears. It is slightly bitter like a first reaction to Steve Buscemi's visage.

I like it but wouldn't buy it again.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Acquired two cans of this in a trade with session1979. Thanks Jonas!

Appearance: Pours a bright copper with a thin, sticky, eggshell-colored head. Body is a bit hazy and gentle carbonation can be seen within. Very light retention, and no lacing.

Smell: Honey and herbs come to mind first, though that may be a result of tonight's dinner. (It's weird - I'm even getting a bit of funk that reminds me of goat cheese). Caramel and light citrus along with some grass.

Taste: Toasted malts and bready yeast reminded me a bit of Fat Tire. After a few more sips, I started getting more of the grassy hop aftertaste. Still getting a lot of herbal notes, as well as some caramel.

Mouthfeel: Nice balance of chewy body and dry aftertaste. Carbonation might be a bit high, hampering the smoothness of the drink. A little heavier than I would like as well.

Drinkability: Far from my favorite pale ale, but Dale's Pale Ale has a pretty unique flavor profile. Glad I have two cans, as I will be re-reviewing this one.

3.46/5  rDev -12%

The color was nice and copper in tone. The head was a bit weak and soapy. Aroma had some nice caramel and a light malty toastiness. Clean taste and lively with carbonation. It had a nice hoppy bite to it. I'm happy to see good beers being packaged in cans. They recycle well and save these beer from destructive UV rays.

3.46/5  rDev -12%

Not quite sure what a "rocky mountain pale ale" is, but apparently this is one. 6.5% abv makes me think it's not a shy beer by any means. Barely heard a sound when I opened the can, which made me think it may have been flat, but it produced a small froth. Poured from the can it has a nice white head on it that slowly shrinks down leaving minimal lacing. Not much stuck to the glass beyond the initial layer, actually. Honey colored. Hint of dry crackers in the aroma. Balanced aroma of some grain and hops. Tastes hoppier than it smells. Seems a bit off balance to me, though I'm admittedly not a hophead. Light bodied, with low to moderate carbonation. This is something I probably couldn't make a session out of, but sometimes I'm looking for that lasting hop flavor. It really has more hop flavor than actual bitterness. Late hopping could be the reason. My biggest issue is the discrepancy between balance in flavor and aroma. Decent beer.

3.46/5  rDev -12%

Pours amber with a white head. Very good lacing on this.

In the nose is sweet candy flavor dominated by bitter citrus.

It is bitter up front, yet smoothe in the back. There is a lingering citrus bitterness - a nice taste, but not as good on the mouthfeel.

3.46/5  rDev -12%

Finally picked a couple of these up today. 12 oz. can poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Super clear amber color. The pour produced a quater size light tan colored head, that leaves some decent lace.

A: Not much going on here. I get some light hops, and a very pronounced sweetness. The aroma i do get is nice, there's just not much of it.

T: The citrusy hops are balanced nicely with sweet caramel malts. The beer finishes dry, and I'm suprised, I definately get the alcohol. At only 6% I didn't think that was possible, but the heat is there.

M: Rather heavy for a PA. The abundance of caramel malts makes for a syrupy mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is above average but not over the top. Overall, it's a good beer, but a little to malty for the style. I much prefer a lighter body and stronger hop profile in my Pale Ales. Skal.

3.46/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another brew I've been keen to try and it pours a golden copper hue with a billowing four finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is citrus,pine and candy and to be honest it's quite subdued to what I was expecting,the mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation and has tastes of caramel candy,piney bitter hops,Valencia oranges and finished with a light citrus bitterness and overall it's very sessionable for a pale ale of 6.5% and I'd drink it again cheers.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly hazy orange color with an off-white head that leaves some lacings.

S: Citric hops, caramel malts and some floral notes.

T: The taste is actually rather sweet with plenty of caramel and almost bready malts beneath a generous amount of citric hop notes, grapefruit and hop resins. The finish is rather bitter with some hops and some interesting notes of anise and other herbs.

M: Medium body with slightly off-centered carbonation.

D: A rather refreshing beer. The malts where slightly too prominent, and perhaps I would have wanted a somewhat cleaner profile flavorwise.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can poured into a shaker pint. Hazy dull gold with a smallish but creamy cap of foam. Sticky is scattered top to bottom.

Light maltiness and a trifecta of hops in the nose- citric, pine and floral. An initial sting of pine bitterness gives way to a generous helping of bready malt. A bit of juiciness is provided from sweetened grapefruit and tangerine. The bitterness returns toward the swallow, taking a turn toward astringent territory. A bit boozy, even at a manageable ABV.

Overall impression: Solid pale ale in spite of the distracting booziness.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this a few times now, but most recently on tap at Instant replay, after having two other beers, as I was looking for something light and refreshing to end the night.

A: The beer pours a light orange hazy amber, with a consistent half inch of head that really sticks around. Some lacing.

S: Notes of modest grapefruit, grass, light pine, citrus, and some bitter hops. Mild sweet malts comes through a bit as well.

T: Matches the nose, light tropical fruits, some lemon zest, blends well with the sweet malted barley, and mild dry bitterness on the finish. quite nice for the style.

M: Light, clean, crisp, and refreshing.

O: Hit the spot. A solid, balanced hopped pale ale. Not as complex as what I typically go for, and I would not seek it out just to have it given choices, but I would gladly accept it when offered, and I'm in the mood for the style.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from can into a shaker glass...

Pours an amber/gold, not quite crystal clear but not hazy. Active carbonation with one finger head that slowly receded to nice lacing and a foam cap on the beer. Sticky foam on the sides too.

On the nose, hops, sweetness, pine, citrus, grains. Nothing out of the ordinary.

First taste surprised me. Does not taste like many other APAs I've tried so far. Hoppy, resin and pine, with a fruity/citrus taste and a sweetness from the grains. A little toast in there too. Little bit more going on than I expected and a pleasant surprise.

Decent mouthfeel, medium body with a bitter, toasty, dry finish. Crisp, with a bit of carbonation.

Very drinkable brew, sessionable if need-be. It has a little different taste that some other APAs I'm familiar with but there's nothing here to stop me from ever having another again. Kind of upper-middle of the road in the style (against others) to me. Non-the-less, I enjoyed it.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. I've seen this all over in cans but never ventured try it. This is not quite a revelation, but it does make me pinch myself for my trepidation. Nice copper color, staunch head w/a lacing that indicates a respect in the process. Not much aroma but a very full & balanced flavor. This is pretty much my level of hop tolerence, but I don`t mind it one bit.Now to find a singular can to complete the 'research'.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a can into a Dale's Pale Ale shaker pint because I can. I was quite surprised I had never bothered to review this beer before actually.

Beer is amber and clear with low carbonation. Forms a big head of medium off white bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Looks good.

Beer has a sweet hoppy aroma, some piny some citrus. Very nice.

Beer is smooth with a lot of late bitterness and a mild grainy aftertaste. Its kind of sweet up front. It finishes nicely but overall its too sweet for me.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

With a pretty hard pour I got a good 2 inch head that slowly sank into a craggy pile of fluff which gave off a sappy hop aroma that was very pleasant. Piney scent is up front with very little malt presence in nose. At first the flavor shows that the nose promised, but where I usually expect a pale ale to either give me more hop flavor or open up for some complexity, the flavor just gives way to a watery finish. Its not bad, just not terribly satisfying. The mouthfeel is good for the style, and its certainly drinkable, but I wish there was a little more to it. I am left waiting for the punch.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

I bought a six pack of these to throw into the soda can dispenser of my kegerator fridge.

Hazy amber with small white head. The carbonation level is low, hardly even a pooft when I popped the can. It smells strongly of piney and citrusy hops and grapefruit. The taste is strongly piney. It's very aggressively hopped, to the point that this is really more of an IPA than APA. It's even more hoppy than some IPAs. The malt flavor shows through a bit as it warms up. Enjoyable, and kudos to Oskar Blues for the canning.

3.44/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Canned 6/27/11.

A- Clear amber with a 2 finger soapy white head. Leaves nice lacing.

S- Sweet malt and a grainyness followed by a touch of floral hops and a grassy note.

T- Sweet malt followed by a bit of citrus hops and a nice bitter resinous bite. Finishes bready and malty...notes say "old daisy cutter".

M- Medium-light bodied with decent carbonation. I'd like a little more carb to help the finish along.

O- Not a bad brew, but doesn't stand up to my gold standard of Daisy Cutter.

3.44/5  rDev -12.5%

I'd never poured this into a glass before, and I was surprised by how nice it looks. Orangey amber, with continual very fine carbonation, thick foamy head that stayed the whole way down. Not a lot of lacing, but impressive.

Even in the glass, not a lot of aroma to this one. Vanilla, for sure. Actually it smells a lot like Tibetan butter tea, which is not a good thing. Bitter hoppy taste (and I'm surprised it's not more present in the nose! Why is that?) with a bit of the rancid butter thing going on, but it's more palatable on the tongue than in the nostril for some reason. Maybe because the hops balance it. It sure does go down smooth, though.

Note: Dale's is the only beer from outside NY state that is served at The Smoke Joint, the new awesome BBQ place in my neighborhood. Apparently it's the favorite beer of one of the owner/chefs, and, "if you can't have your favorite beer at your own restaurant, what's the point?"

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew