Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,842 | Hads: 6,762
3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

A - Poured from a red, white and blue can on Memorial day as part of my pre-game festivities. Nice looking beer, opaue orange with a fluffy white head of about 2 fingers

S - Citrusy, piney, earthy hops dominate but there is a mixture of sweet malts as well.

T - Taste is strong pine hops. For a ple ale it is very hop forward, and on the bitter side. Taste is not nearly as balanced as the nose would leave me to believe. As it warms the sweetness form the malts starts to make its presence felt.

M - Thin mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, a little bit on the watery side

O - Definitely hoppier than a normal pale ale, so for me at least it is a little bit less drinkable on a hot summer day. The ABV is also uite high for a pale ale so you need to be careful with this.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

12oz can into my Darkness tulip...Pours a dark copper with a nice light off white head, good retention and lacing...An aroma that is too sweet giving off lots of bread and pineapple with only a hint of hops on the back. Not doing a ton for me...A rather plain and boring taste of light pineapple and light toffee. The hops are basically hidden, only a hint of esb wet alcohol hops on the back. Not offensive, but just boring.

An easy to drink beer, not a pale ale, but pretty boring.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am drinking this beer and watching the film Fargo. This beer reminds me of William H. Macy, it is warm, sweet, familiar. It has a large hop presence like that of Macy's ears. It is slightly bitter like a first reaction to Steve Buscemi's visage.

I like it but wouldn't buy it again.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Acquired two cans of this in a trade with session1979. Thanks Jonas!

Appearance: Pours a bright copper with a thin, sticky, eggshell-colored head. Body is a bit hazy and gentle carbonation can be seen within. Very light retention, and no lacing.

Smell: Honey and herbs come to mind first, though that may be a result of tonight's dinner. (It's weird - I'm even getting a bit of funk that reminds me of goat cheese). Caramel and light citrus along with some grass.

Taste: Toasted malts and bready yeast reminded me a bit of Fat Tire. After a few more sips, I started getting more of the grassy hop aftertaste. Still getting a lot of herbal notes, as well as some caramel.

Mouthfeel: Nice balance of chewy body and dry aftertaste. Carbonation might be a bit high, hampering the smoothness of the drink. A little heavier than I would like as well.

Drinkability: Far from my favorite pale ale, but Dale's Pale Ale has a pretty unique flavor profile. Glad I have two cans, as I will be re-reviewing this one.

3.46/5  rDev -12%

The color was nice and copper in tone. The head was a bit weak and soapy. Aroma had some nice caramel and a light malty toastiness. Clean taste and lively with carbonation. It had a nice hoppy bite to it. I'm happy to see good beers being packaged in cans. They recycle well and save these beer from destructive UV rays.

3.46/5  rDev -12%

Not quite sure what a "rocky mountain pale ale" is, but apparently this is one. 6.5% abv makes me think it's not a shy beer by any means. Barely heard a sound when I opened the can, which made me think it may have been flat, but it produced a small froth. Poured from the can it has a nice white head on it that slowly shrinks down leaving minimal lacing. Not much stuck to the glass beyond the initial layer, actually. Honey colored. Hint of dry crackers in the aroma. Balanced aroma of some grain and hops. Tastes hoppier than it smells. Seems a bit off balance to me, though I'm admittedly not a hophead. Light bodied, with low to moderate carbonation. This is something I probably couldn't make a session out of, but sometimes I'm looking for that lasting hop flavor. It really has more hop flavor than actual bitterness. Late hopping could be the reason. My biggest issue is the discrepancy between balance in flavor and aroma. Decent beer.

3.46/5  rDev -12%

Pours amber with a white head. Very good lacing on this.

In the nose is sweet candy flavor dominated by bitter citrus.

It is bitter up front, yet smoothe in the back. There is a lingering citrus bitterness - a nice taste, but not as good on the mouthfeel.

3.46/5  rDev -12%

Finally picked a couple of these up today. 12 oz. can poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Super clear amber color. The pour produced a quater size light tan colored head, that leaves some decent lace.

A: Not much going on here. I get some light hops, and a very pronounced sweetness. The aroma i do get is nice, there's just not much of it.

T: The citrusy hops are balanced nicely with sweet caramel malts. The beer finishes dry, and I'm suprised, I definately get the alcohol. At only 6% I didn't think that was possible, but the heat is there.

M: Rather heavy for a PA. The abundance of caramel malts makes for a syrupy mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is above average but not over the top. Overall, it's a good beer, but a little to malty for the style. I much prefer a lighter body and stronger hop profile in my Pale Ales. Skal.

3.46/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another brew I've been keen to try and it pours a golden copper hue with a billowing four finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is citrus,pine and candy and to be honest it's quite subdued to what I was expecting,the mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation and has tastes of caramel candy,piney bitter hops,Valencia oranges and finished with a light citrus bitterness and overall it's very sessionable for a pale ale of 6.5% and I'd drink it again cheers.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly hazy orange color with an off-white head that leaves some lacings.

S: Citric hops, caramel malts and some floral notes.

T: The taste is actually rather sweet with plenty of caramel and almost bready malts beneath a generous amount of citric hop notes, grapefruit and hop resins. The finish is rather bitter with some hops and some interesting notes of anise and other herbs.

M: Medium body with slightly off-centered carbonation.

D: A rather refreshing beer. The malts where slightly too prominent, and perhaps I would have wanted a somewhat cleaner profile flavorwise.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can poured into a shaker pint. Hazy dull gold with a smallish but creamy cap of foam. Sticky is scattered top to bottom.

Light maltiness and a trifecta of hops in the nose- citric, pine and floral. An initial sting of pine bitterness gives way to a generous helping of bready malt. A bit of juiciness is provided from sweetened grapefruit and tangerine. The bitterness returns toward the swallow, taking a turn toward astringent territory. A bit boozy, even at a manageable ABV.

Overall impression: Solid pale ale in spite of the distracting booziness.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this a few times now, but most recently on tap at Instant replay, after having two other beers, as I was looking for something light and refreshing to end the night.

A: The beer pours a light orange hazy amber, with a consistent half inch of head that really sticks around. Some lacing.

S: Notes of modest grapefruit, grass, light pine, citrus, and some bitter hops. Mild sweet malts comes through a bit as well.

T: Matches the nose, light tropical fruits, some lemon zest, blends well with the sweet malted barley, and mild dry bitterness on the finish. quite nice for the style.

M: Light, clean, crisp, and refreshing.

O: Hit the spot. A solid, balanced hopped pale ale. Not as complex as what I typically go for, and I would not seek it out just to have it given choices, but I would gladly accept it when offered, and I'm in the mood for the style.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from can into a shaker glass...

Pours an amber/gold, not quite crystal clear but not hazy. Active carbonation with one finger head that slowly receded to nice lacing and a foam cap on the beer. Sticky foam on the sides too.

On the nose, hops, sweetness, pine, citrus, grains. Nothing out of the ordinary.

First taste surprised me. Does not taste like many other APAs I've tried so far. Hoppy, resin and pine, with a fruity/citrus taste and a sweetness from the grains. A little toast in there too. Little bit more going on than I expected and a pleasant surprise.

Decent mouthfeel, medium body with a bitter, toasty, dry finish. Crisp, with a bit of carbonation.

Very drinkable brew, sessionable if need-be. It has a little different taste that some other APAs I'm familiar with but there's nothing here to stop me from ever having another again. Kind of upper-middle of the road in the style (against others) to me. Non-the-less, I enjoyed it.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. I've seen this all over in cans but never ventured try it. This is not quite a revelation, but it does make me pinch myself for my trepidation. Nice copper color, staunch head w/a lacing that indicates a respect in the process. Not much aroma but a very full & balanced flavor. This is pretty much my level of hop tolerence, but I don`t mind it one bit.Now to find a singular can to complete the 'research'.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a can into a Dale's Pale Ale shaker pint because I can. I was quite surprised I had never bothered to review this beer before actually.

Beer is amber and clear with low carbonation. Forms a big head of medium off white bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Looks good.

Beer has a sweet hoppy aroma, some piny some citrus. Very nice.

Beer is smooth with a lot of late bitterness and a mild grainy aftertaste. Its kind of sweet up front. It finishes nicely but overall its too sweet for me.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

With a pretty hard pour I got a good 2 inch head that slowly sank into a craggy pile of fluff which gave off a sappy hop aroma that was very pleasant. Piney scent is up front with very little malt presence in nose. At first the flavor shows that the nose promised, but where I usually expect a pale ale to either give me more hop flavor or open up for some complexity, the flavor just gives way to a watery finish. Its not bad, just not terribly satisfying. The mouthfeel is good for the style, and its certainly drinkable, but I wish there was a little more to it. I am left waiting for the punch.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

I bought a six pack of these to throw into the soda can dispenser of my kegerator fridge.

Hazy amber with small white head. The carbonation level is low, hardly even a pooft when I popped the can. It smells strongly of piney and citrusy hops and grapefruit. The taste is strongly piney. It's very aggressively hopped, to the point that this is really more of an IPA than APA. It's even more hoppy than some IPAs. The malt flavor shows through a bit as it warms up. Enjoyable, and kudos to Oskar Blues for the canning.

3.44/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Canned 6/27/11.

A- Clear amber with a 2 finger soapy white head. Leaves nice lacing.

S- Sweet malt and a grainyness followed by a touch of floral hops and a grassy note.

T- Sweet malt followed by a bit of citrus hops and a nice bitter resinous bite. Finishes bready and malty...notes say "old daisy cutter".

M- Medium-light bodied with decent carbonation. I'd like a little more carb to help the finish along.

O- Not a bad brew, but doesn't stand up to my gold standard of Daisy Cutter.

3.44/5  rDev -12.5%

I'd never poured this into a glass before, and I was surprised by how nice it looks. Orangey amber, with continual very fine carbonation, thick foamy head that stayed the whole way down. Not a lot of lacing, but impressive.

Even in the glass, not a lot of aroma to this one. Vanilla, for sure. Actually it smells a lot like Tibetan butter tea, which is not a good thing. Bitter hoppy taste (and I'm surprised it's not more present in the nose! Why is that?) with a bit of the rancid butter thing going on, but it's more palatable on the tongue than in the nostril for some reason. Maybe because the hops balance it. It sure does go down smooth, though.

Note: Dale's is the only beer from outside NY state that is served at The Smoke Joint, the new awesome BBQ place in my neighborhood. Apparently it's the favorite beer of one of the owner/chefs, and, "if you can't have your favorite beer at your own restaurant, what's the point?"

3.44/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one in my favorite pint glass.

A-Pours a cloudy gold body that clears up as the beer warms. An off white head comes to the top but doesn't lace at all.

S-A good balance between hops and grains. Both smell very husky and earthy.

T-Just like it smells. Earthy and raw tasting, but good. The carbonation in combination with huskiness of the grains and hops, gives the body a bit of a rough aftertaste. The alcohol makes its presence known as well as it goes down.

Overall this is a good beer. I love the idea of putting it in a can so you can enjoy them on a weekend backpacking trip.

3.43/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured out of a 12 oz can into a standard pint glass.

A – Pours out a light golden color with a half inch of off white head. Very little retention.

S – Just a bit of citrus in the nose with a grapefruit smell. Piney hops as well. Lighter smell then expected but nice.

T – Has a crisp hop taste right off followed by just a touch of bitterness. Citrusy and piney. Has a bit of a caramel flavor but not what I would call sweet. Fairly well balanced ale.

M – Crisp and clean is thee best way to describe this one. Light bodied with fair carbonation.

O – Well worth a try here. Has some great refreshing taste for a hot summer day. I can see this in a cooler at the beach or on a boat.

3.42/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Disclaimer poured from a January 2014 batch drank 1 yr later. Darker and cloudier than expected. Has an adjunct + pale ale smell, not great. Thick and honey flavored. Sticks to the back of your throat and goes bitter.

3.42/5  rDev -13%

This is the second beer from the blues society picnic. This beer poured hazy amber, lightly carbonated. A small cream colored head that rapidly dissipated, but laced nicely.

Aromas of sweet caramel malt, brown sugar and toffee were followed by pine needles and hops with and earthy grassiness. The taste started out with the malts, followed by the hops. The finish was of understated citrus that left very little aftertaste

This is a lighter bodied pale ale that has good mouthfeel. This is an easy drinking beer that is a good beer for those breaking the addiction of macro-brews, a hot day or just relaxing. This beer is really as smooth as flashdance Hulk's chest on a hot day.

3.42/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mug cause it's all I had. Frothy head with a copper color. Aroma is almost stale adjunct...maybe a result of the mug. Flavor is without much bitter and slightly watered down. Malt flavor and a tinge of hops. Didn't finish clean. Medium carbonation. Session beer mouthfeel. I'll have to re-rate when I have something other than a penguin Christmas mug.

3.42/5  rDev -13%

On tap at Capone's in Norristown, PA. Served in a pint glass.

A: poured a hazy light gold color. little head of white foam that stuck around for a little while.

S: not overly hoppy from the nose like other western pales and IPAs, but faint hops.

T: average at best. I was expecting more out of this one from reviews and first hand tastings.

M: almost too watery, but after drinking a DIPA I was in need of something less sticky.

D: very easy drinking beer. I could definitely drink many of these (especially with the cans). that is, if I wanted too...

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew