Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,809 | Hads: 6,602
3.41/5  rDev -13.7%

A: Pours from the can a nice orange-copper color with 1-2 fingers of head, depending on the vigor of the pour. The head dissipates to a thin layer of fine bubbles that leaves good lacing on the glass.

S: Faint hints of citrus with an undertone of evergreen. No malt notes are present.

T: Smooth taste up front, with all the hops on the back of the tongue. The malt provides a nice counterbalance, but is not noticeable in and of itself.

M: Smooth and easy drinking, not syrupy nor overly thin.

D: A decent all-around pale ale, nothing over the top. A good session ale made more accessible by the cans. (605 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a clear golden color. Good two finger, off white head leaves some sticky lacing.
Light malt and slight hops. I seem to get some caramel bordering on diacetyl/sweet butter.
I don't think I get the diacetyl in the flavor, but there is some sort of different sweetness in the back. Pretty tasty still and balanced with a subtle bitterness.
Lighter side of medium. Low to moderate carbonation. Kinda' dry with a slight bittering mid-finish.
Drinkable enough, but not my favorite from this style. (501 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -13.7%

In celebration of another successful bottling operation. Ironically, I will be drinking a beer that comes in a can.

Appearance - Very nice. A great deep copper color with an inch of stark white fluffy head. Clear as day. Looks like a beer from a cartoon or something.

Smell - Not bad. Some nice citrus hops, with a hint of grass. Definite caramel malt lingering.

Taste - Definitely getting that crystal malt. It's got a nice little bitter burn on the follow. Some piney hops going on as well. Not a much citrus as I'd prefer. Got that malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Honestly, a little thin. Doesn't really linger. It's there and gone.

Drinkability - Very nice. I could have several of these and be pretty contect. That said, not lighting my world on fire.

This is a pretty good beer. It looks awesome, but didn't quite deliver. This one was canned about 2 1/2 months ago, so it's not the freshest kid around, but I don't think it should have completely deteriorated. I'll certainly give it another shot, but I'm not sure if I'm ever going to love it. I just don't think it brings the citrus goodness like I was hoping. This is a good beer, but I've loved the other Oskar's I've had, so maybe my expectations were a little unfair. (1,232 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%

poured into a pint glass

looks like: apple juice

smells like: citrus

tastes like: grapefruit

feels like: quick attack, smooth long decay and fade, thin

drinks like: juice but fills the stomach quick.

i got some good advice from a good friend who loves IPA's when i said i was not fond of them. He told me Dale's Pale Ale is an awesome intro to the heavier hoppy bitter IPA's. I would have to agree it is very mild, not complex but definitely not normal. Thank you Trip Wooten. (482 characters)

Dale's Pale Ale
12oz can into a pint glass
A- Pours a dark, coppery, amber color with a soft yet sturdy two finger head that deflates, after about 10 min. or so, to a lumpy surface on top of the beer. Nice lace.
S- Vanilla and pineapple hit first with other fruitiness. Then lovely citrusy hops by the nose full. Finally a hint of malts comes in last.
T- Hoppity hop hops. Fruity with a pleasent citrus spice to it. Toasty, caramely malts decide to join the party then hops manages to shove 'em out of the way.
Despite the hops goin to town on my tongue, this is quite a refresing brew. probably wouldn't have another. Try it out. (636 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%

I bought a six-pack of Dale's Pale Ale at the neighborhood micro brew headquarters. Sold in cans, but without the pressure "pop" when opened, like a canned macro. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a rich gold/copper color and is slightly hazy. Decent one finger head, is off-white, foamy and sticky. It leaves some nice lacing on the sides of the glass, especially early on.

Smell is appealing. A sweet malt aroma up front, with some pine and citrus notes along side.

Taste is generally good. There is a bit of a caramel malt flavor, followed by some hoppy bitterness, and then a real dry bitter aftertaste, like dandelion leaves.

Mouthfeel is full-bodied, not as clean as I would expect of the style. It's a bit syrupy and cloying.

Just above average drinkability. It's a nice enough APA, but the cloying bitter aftertaste gets tiresome from this "Voluminoiusly Hopped Mutha...". I'll probably have it again, especially if the canned packaging is an advantage, like packing a cooler, or doing a beer can barbecued chicken. (1,027 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance - As usual there's a certain beauty to every Oskar Blues. Every one i've tried looks perfect in it's glass. This one was no exception! A Dark gold color with reddish highlights topped off by a mashmellow white puffy head.

Smell - Pretty loaded with cascade hops and an orange peel grapefruit scent. Past the hops there's a candied orange sugar aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel - hmmm...a lot more bland and straight forward than I expected. Unlike the nose suggests this one has a more malty personality than one would think. Very thin on the tounge and no pale hop taste to balance out the malts. Caramel and sugar win out somewhat sadly.

Drinkability - I've loved every beer that oskar blues has offered up so far, but this one doesn't carry the banner very well. Do yourself a favor and grab an Alpha King, it's the holy grail of pales. (845 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Dale's Pale Ale... from a can! A pale ale in a can quite the interesting concept. 6.5% alcohol as stated on the can. Very festive American flag colored design.

A- Pours a nice firey orange color with active carbonated head that falls to a small ring around glass light froth on top. Leaves decent lacing as well. Nice for a canned beer.

S- Estery alcohol, grassy hop scents, and citrus notes are present in that order.

T-M- Has a citrusy tang with a metallic alcohol flavor as well... kinda odd. Has nice hop flavors as well but just not presented in a way that it can be enjoyed fully. Light bitterness noted. All and all a decent flavor for a pale ale. Mouthfeel is smooth with only a mild thickness that leaves the tongue feeling alittle dry.

D- Drinkable beer and also amazing coming from a can. Not the best but a good beer to have around. (848 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured an opaque dark orange/tan body with a small white head.

Fresh grain malt with some apricot fruit touches in the nose. Some mild alcohol with mild hints of citrus fruit.

Rich and malty with a medium to full body. Rich caramel base. The 6.5% alcohol gives it a nice warmth but again really gives this beer a nice backbone. hints of fruit; apricots, strong pineapple and even some pear. The malt base is immediately overshadowed by a dry metallic and leafy hop character. Not overly bitter other than to just give it some balance. It's really about the hop flavor. As it flows on into the finish the dry hop leaf flavor becomes almost annoying.

I really love the old chub, and was a little disappointed in this one, but honestly it's still really good. Big malt, the hops aren't completely to my liking as I think they don't balance perfectly, but honestly it doesn't bother me too much. Good beer. (921 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - beautiful clear golden beer here with a finger head that lasts throughout.

S - equal amounts of citrus, pine and grass.

T - The pale, light bread malts are up front and add a cracker like taste to dale's which is followed nicely by the very citrusey and floral hop profile. I am finding an unpleasant bitter lemon rind taste in the finish. It actually reminds me of the ridiculous aftertaste of Ruination (but divide by 10).

M - Carbonation is light and creamy with medium body.

D - I like Dale's, but this bitter lemon rindy thing going on is making we want to switch what I'm drinking. Bottom line: if you like a hoppier/more-bitter-than-normal pale, this is for you. (680 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

After four years and over a hundred beer tried, we expanded the man cave to add a two tap system. Dales was picked . Poured deep yellow, with small head. Fair lacing floral and pine notes, with a citrus finish. Full flavored pale ale.

Bought in a sixtel served at 38 degrees received a 11 out of 20 in our beer club. I gave it a 14 myself. (341 characters)

A beer haiku for you:

"Maybe it's too hot;
This one just ain't that piquant.
Better look elsewhere."

Not the best representative of the style--ok, but nothing to write home about nor spend your hard earned dinero on. This is a good brewery, but this particular ale is not representative of the art of the brewer.

Cheers! (324 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -14.7%

A- Small white head that dissipated quickly to a think cap. The beer was a dark orange with red hues.

S- Piney floral hops some sweet caramel and almond aromas.

T- Lots of dry bitter hops, some pine and floral notes. Small malty base that is overpowered by hops. This is not the most balanced beer I have ever had.

M- Medium bodied with a overly hopped bitterness. This beer has some bite.

Overall- Dale's Pale Ale is a very hoppy pale that could use a little more balance. (480 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -14.9%

(Poured into an American pint glass)
A- This beer has a clear orange body with a gentle carbonation supporting a thin beige film.
S- The smell is pretty clean with a green note and some caramel notes coming through as the beer warms.
T- The green bitterness of hops has some soft pale malt hints then leading back into a bitter pungent hop note that lingers. When the beer warms there are notes of caramel malt tap water and iced tea that come through.
M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol or fizz. D- This beer doesn't have much to offer other than a bitterness. (582 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a clear orange color with half a finger of white foamy head that clings to the glass nicely as you drink. Aroma is fairly weak but has hints of fruity hops and some malty sweetness. Taste consists of strong fruity hops and a little bit of malt. Mouthfeel is a little harsh but doesnt have any bad aftertastes. Overall a decent pale ale. (342 characters)

canned on April 11, 2012

A: IPA color, decent head and pretty nice lacing.

S: Herbal and some fainter sweet citrus hops. I don't pick up any malt. Nose is a bit muted.

T: Starts off with more herbal (I don't know why I get herbal) hops and maybe some grapefruit. Some sweetness and fruitiness in the middle and a fairly long, somewhat dry and bitter finish.

M: About what you expect from an IPA.

O: A decent but unremarkable IPA. (434 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -14.9%

Popped the top on the can, but didn't get quite the "pop" I expected. Pours a clear amber hue with a huge off-white frothy head, but no bubbles of carbination rising in the beer itself. There's a huge pine-citrus aroma rising from my glass. As for the taste, there's an initial malty sweetness with slight buttery notes quickly followed by a tangy middle of pine sap and grapefruit, finishing with a lingering bitterness. Altogether, a very hoppy beer, more of an IPA than an APA to me personally. Not as carbonated as I'd expect in the mouthfeel, especially coming from a can.

Overall, a good beer (even for me not being a hop-head), but it's the can that truly makes this one stand out. Kudo's to the brewers on taking a chance on putting a micro in a can. (761 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours clear, dark orange in color, about a two-finger yellowish light tan head. Smells of sweet floral notes, some caramel, a touch of orange rind. The taste at first is a bit herbal, with some nice sweet malts, then a bitterness creeps up that reminds me of biting into an orange rind almost. It has a sort of intesity to the bitterness that has a hint of citrus and some sweet malts. Sticky, slightly biscuity finish is not crisp like I would desire. For a pale ale I find it a bit harsh without a lot of aroma hops there to balance it out. Quite malty for an American pale. Medium bodied with a comparatively high carbonation. Decent stuff, though I am fairly surprised that this has so much bitterness without an equal aroma, and also at how malty this one is. No real outstanding aspects here for me. (805 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

12oz can served in a sam adams "perfect pint" glass.

pours a cloudy amber/coppery tone with roughly a finger of beige colored head. one of the darker pale ale's i've come across. decent retention and lacing.

strong hoppy presence spearheads the nose, highlighted by citrus and a little pine. hops characteristics pull through and lead the way in the flavor, followed by caramel and bready maltiness; more floral and earthy notes than i picked up in the aroma. finish is decidedly dry. hmm... not being blown away by this one; bit of a disappointment really... the bitterness is a little overdone for my taste; reminds me somewhat of a lesser SNPA.

medium bodied mouthfeel, carbonation a little on the low side. overall, not terrible by any means and i wouldn't be averse to another, just not my particular cup of tea.

originally reviewed: 11-17-2010 (853 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

12oz can served in a sam adams "perfect pint" glass.

pours a cloudy amber/coppery tone with roughly a finger of beige colored head... one of the darker pale ale's i've come across. decent retention and lacing.

hops characteristics pull through and lead the way in the flavor, followed by caramel and bready maltiness. more floral and earthy notes than i picked up in the aroma... finish is decidedly dry. hmm... not being blown away by this one; bit of a disappointment really... the bitterness is a little overdone for my taste; reminds me somewhat of a poor stab at a DFH 60 minute.

medium bodied mouthfeel, carbonation a little on the low side. given my underwhelmed response to this beer i'm obviously not going to consider it hugely drinkable. not terrible by any means, just not my particular cup of tea. (898 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

12 oz. can bought from the local HEB. Canned on 08/01/2013. Poured in to a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A - Pale copper color, two to three fingers of white head that dissipates quickly.

S - Tropical fruit, bubblegum, and a little bit of citrusy hops.

T/M - Somewhere between a pale ale and an IPA, which therein lies the problem. The alcohol content is a bit high for a session beer. The taste is just not there for a full flavored IPA. I'm having a hard time figuring out when I would choose this...

O - Not really my thing. But I'm a big fan of Ten FIDY, so I decided to give it a go. (593 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

A: Lightly cloudy (suspended particles) with a dark, dull auburn color. Head is sticky, dense, and falls slowly, leaving abundant lacing on my glass. Nice appearance--more vibrant color and it gets a 5.

S: Explosively sweet citrus hops--candied oranges (like those orange slice things!), grapefruit, and a hint of tropical fruit, too. A damn fine smell on this "hoppy mutha of a pale ale."

T&M: I've had 5 cans of Dale's Pale Ale now, and every single one has an unpleasant metallic twinge. This is a shame because I feel like it should be such a great beer based on the smell. I can still taste some of the citrus hoppiness balanced with sweeter malts, but the metallic flavor is too unpleasant for me. I found the mouthfeel lacking in carbonation, too. I know this isn't a bad can--I've had 5 others recently.

D: This is the only Oskar Blues beer that doesn't blow me away. I've tried and tried, but it's got that metallic taste that I find incredibly off-putting. Hence, drinkability suffers. Overall, it looks great and smells awesome, but it's all downhill from there. I probably won't be purchasing this in a can again anytime soon. I'll try to watch out for it on tap the next time I'm out of state so I can see if this flavor is from the can or the aluminum shards they add to the wort. ;-) (1,301 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into an English pub glass at fridge temperature. An aggressive pour builds a pretty, white three inch head that lingers and falls to a rocky foam. The beer is medium amber, completely clear, with languid bubbles. The nose is earthy, citrus, a little fresh cut grass, some pine. The flavor is malt up front, with pine resin, some honey or toffee, and a bit of a lingering, drying bitterness. Mouthfeel is slick and coating. A very decent, non-challenging American Pale Ale that has enough going on so you can serve it to a crowd with some beer geeks in it but not such a hop bomb that only hopheads will like it; in other words, a good party beer. (664 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

This brew pours a copper color with a cream colored head. The nose has a big citrus hop presence which makes me think of this as more of an India Pale Ale. There is some malt, but it is fairly faint. The taste is also very hop strong with just a bit of sweet malts. Nice medium body. A fine brew, APA or IPA. (308 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I was pretty excited to try this beer being in the top beers for the Better Beer Authority. Lets go over specifics:

Appearance: really nice amber color. Pliny the Elder color if you ask.
Smell: Biscuit Malt, Hops, Pine, one note citrus.
Taste: Alcohol, some citrus, slight grapefruit aftertaste.

For me, it could have been better. It is not a bad beer. The aftertaste was very one note for me. On the BBA scale I would rate it about a 6 but I think there are better beers in this style. I don't know whether this beer is trying to be an IPA or a pale ale. Bear Republic racer 5 is a much better example of the IPA style I think than Dales. If I had to have it again I would but it is not my favorite beer. (707 characters)

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew