Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,529 | Reviews: 1,879
4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I got hooked on Dale's Pale Ale by a neighbor who let me try some at a party. I've always been a hop head and Dale's fits the bill perfectly. The bitterness / hoppiness isn't overwhelming but yet there's still a good bite and lightness to it. I also love the fact that it comes in cans. It brings back fond memories as a kid when I would sneak sips of my parents' canned beer.

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%

Says Pale Ale but "voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale" on the top of the can is more accurate. Check this out if you like tossing up the differences between Sierra Nevada and Siera Nevada Torpedo!!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Yep definitely one of the best Pale Ales out there. Maybe because it tastes like an IPA? Perhaps. Anyways, this is my first Oskar Blues beer and the only reason I can think of as to why they didn't call this is an IPA is because they have hoppier beers in their line up when compared to this one.

On the smell I instantly get a piney floral and perfume hop smell mixed in with some sweet smells. The taste is fantastic and really is hoppier then some lesser IPA's I've had. Its very smooth and creamy with a quick flash of sweetness in the beginning and then ending with that floral piney bitter hop taste on the aftertaste. The pine hop taste really lasts and is astringent and bitter.

I strongly suggest this to anybody that loves IPA's and wants a Pale ale that taste just like one. The rich tasting astringent hops really shine through in this beer. The sweetness does take a back seat but if it didn't have any sweetness to balance it out then this would really be even more bitter than it is. An exceptional beer by Oskar Blues.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a can into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. This beer is an orange amber color with yellow highlights on the side. It's only the slightest bit darker than the average pale ale, so it still has the color and clarity of that style. This beer produces a creamsicle colored thick foamy head that goes away after several minutes and produces very generous lacing that sticks to the glass. The smell is very good, the hops jump out as you smell. Both citrus and pine hop are present, well balanced between the both. The taste is also great, much like the smell the hops dominate the flavor. Grapefuity and dry/pine hop flavor. Eventhough it's so well hopped, it has a generous amount of malts to it as well. Caramelized and roasted to perfection. It starts very sweet, then a crisp and biter finish. This is a refreshing fairly light bodied beer that has a refreshing and clean mouthfeel. This beer is incredibly drinkable.

I avoided this beer for a long time soley because it was in a can. I am now ashamed of myself. This so far the best American Pale Ale I have ever had and will base all APA's in the future on this beer.

poured from a 12oz can into an imperial pint glass

A: pours a gorgeous orange/copper color and forms a very nice cream-colored, 2-finger head that instantly begins lacing quite nicely. This is a beautiful looking beer.

S: gives off a very nice balanced aroma of both juicy hops and sweet malted bread. I want to take a bite!

T: ahhh, glorious. Not as hoppy as Sierra's Pale Ale, not as malted as a strong ale, this beer is perfectly balanced IMO. I think "juicy" is the best word to describe it's flavor, I keep smacking my lips to savor every drop of its bready goodness. Did I mention it's perfectly balanced?

M: creamy and chewy, I love how this beer feels in the mouth, with just the right amount of carbonation ta boot.

D: this is my new go-to beer, it's a splendid combination of low-enough ABV to be able to session with it, it's a great value (I pay about $14-15 per 12 pack of cans here in NJ), and it's delicious. Perfect all-day drinker.

P.S. it's worth noting that this is NOTHING like any other canned beer you may be used to, you'd never know it came from a can.

Highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

WOW! i never thought i'd have a beer this good in a can! and i love the "pack it in, pack it out" with the recyling logo on the back, it almost makes me feel like i'm doing something good for the plant.

A: pours a lightly cloudy, brownish yellow
S: carmel tone and malty sweetness (not heavy at all) with hoppy bitter on the back end
T: light malt sweetness at first with nice flourish of hops and ending with a good citrus combo at the end
M: good fizz not too thick
D: i could see myself kicking back around the campfire with this one

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%

This is a big pale ale. pours a cloudy gold, not very much foamage.

smells very herbacious. fresh grass, some pine and so on.

Very tangy taste, strong grassy hops with some grape fruit and the malt is apparent. well balanced, slightly sweet.

Very smooth beer, this stuff goes down like nectar. medium bodied like an IPA, Perfect beer for summer activities, i wish i would have stocked up on this while on vacation, Oskar Blues needs to distribute to Oklahoma, c'mon we border you.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Serving type: can. Note: love the old-school design.
Appearance-nice, golden color.
Smell: fresh, citrus.
Taste: I"m happy to report that this is the first pale ale I've really liked. The hoppiness is definitely there but toward the back of the taste. First is the smooth, slightly sweet citrusy burst.
Mouthfeel: very smooth, low carbonation.
Would definitely drink again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I was completely taken by surprise by this beer at the Empire Brew Fest during a recent visit to Syracuse. I'd never even heard of it before and it didn't look like much to get excited about, cos canned beer's crap right?...but a lot of people were soaking it up and since my mission was to sample as many different beers as I could, I thought "what the hell". Imagine my surprise when I found that it was the best beer I'd tried all night - and most of what I'd had previously was top rate. It tastes more like an IPA than a APA to me, but who cares...This is one fantastic beer and sadly I have now depleted my stock of it that I brought back to Florida. Yet another reason to move back North.

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%

This beer is light and crisp but still hoppy. Hoppy but not too bitter. This beer has been around for what seems like forever now but it's stood the test of time. Oskar Blues is the original canned craft beer. At first it seemed like that they were just a novelty beer. "Beer that doesn't suck in a can!", but it really is a great drink. Now everyone is trying to mimic their canning, most notably 21st Amendment.

4.59/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For true hop-lovers; this beer is more abrasive and less balanced than a lot of APAs. Comes exclusively (?) in cans, which is kind of cool if you are camping/outdoors. If you want a beer that is like getting slapped in the face with hops, this is for you...as a side note, the taproom/restaurant in Lyons, CO is pretty awesome.

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

Has a huge hop character once poured from the can and has a wonderful pine hop aroma. Very drinkable and much less carbonated that I was expecting but it didn't take away from the beer at all. I would be quick to move this to the IPA category but it also a very solid Pale Ale as well

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

great summer beer, real easy drinker

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

12oz can purchased as part of a six-pack from Whole Foods-Annandale/Alexandria, VA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head above the orangey amber brew. Head recedes slowly, with good lacing. Aroma is substantially of citrus and piney hops. Taste has it all going on, light sweet melt upfront, balanced and then some by tangy hops that pretty much steal the show. Mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent, and the can packaging makes it even that much more drinkable in some locales. As good (or better) than I had heard/expected.

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

My first OB beer! Obtained in a trade with jjayjaye, 12oz can poured into a Sam Adams specialty glass

Appearance is burningly bright orange with amber highlights, thin white lacing of head is minimal, fair lacing on the glass

Smell is moderate pine and citrus hops with sweet caramel/pale malts in the background, nice presence for a pale ale

Taste is a nice mix of lighter caramel sweetened malts and more of a pine resin hops, some floral and orange tones pop up in the middle, finishes mildly bitter with biscuit malts

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, smooth and thick texture adds more heft than most pales, mild carbonation

Drinkability is high, a bold and nicely hopped pale ale with great malt presence and balance, the alcohol is non-descript and there is enough here to keep drinking all night long, i'm glad i have a second Dale's but wish i had easier access to OB here in San Diego. Oh well, maybe sometime in the future. . .

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

A: Let me just start off by saying I love the look of this can. Love the colors and overall appearance of the can. It's just great packaging for what is regarding as such a great beer. The beer itself has a burnt orange color with a fairly white one finger head. The head dissipates rather quickly but leaves the glass colored in lacing which I'm sure will just accumulate with drinking.

S: Citrus hops are dominating in presence. Wow, extremely heavy on the grapefruit and orange peel in this one. There are also some floral style hops present. Can't forget about the sweet, smooth malts either. Based on the scent, I can't wait to try this beer.

T: Had to get a second mouthful of the beer before I had to even stop to think about how it tasted. It's got quite the taste to it. It's not as hoppy as the scent would allow you to believe. The citrus hops are definitely present in the taste, don't get me wrong. Heavy grapefruit and orange taste which gives away to a spicy flavor. There are also some coffee/toffee flavored malts on the finish. The aftertaste is citrus hops. Definitely a great taste.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. It's smooth and velvety.

D: A beer you could have 3-4 of and not blink an eye. Although not a true session beer due to the ABV being above 5%, but I could see drinking these one after another.

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

This beer pours a cloudy pale amber-orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes rather quickly into decent lacing. The aroma is very big for an APA. Grapefruit, citrus, pine resin, and herbs. The taste is as big as the aroma. Tons of grapefruit and pine with a firm bitterness on the tongue and in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation, and a silky texture. Overall, this is one of the best APAs I have had. I would really like to have this available in my area, because it would quickly become my go to pale ale.

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I love this damn beer. It's a great party go to. Very crushable.

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

A: A half-inch of foamy white head tops an opaque deep amber hued brew. Surprising retention and lacing. Looks friggin' delicious.

S: Nice malty base with a hoppy nose that exudes confidence in all directions, with a floral and citrusy scent, yet smells similar to an American Red/Amber ale. Lots of stuff going on in this bouquet, smells tasty.

T: A great malt intro, little bit of sweetness to it, overshadowed by a large but smooth hop presence that lingers throughout. Yet, despite the greatness of the hops, the beer remains well-balanced. I was right from the first two categories, this thing tastes amazing.

M: Strong body and solid carbonation that makes for a creamy and silky offering, excellent mouthfeel... from a can?!

D: Excellent drinkability, enough flavor characteristic packed in to have you reaching for a Dale's Pale anytime. Quite versatile, with so much in every category that it's hard to turn one of these down. At first I was a little skeptical, even after checking Oskar Blues out in the BA mag, but one sip was all it took to convert me. More craft beer in cans!

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

(From notes)Fairly clear amber/orange color. However, it wasn't until my second that I actually poured into a glass. It was quite an experience to pull the tab on a can and be greeted with that citrus hops with a hint of pine. There's also some bready malts. Taste is quite comparable to the scent. Really well balanced. This is one of the best APA's I've had...still have to put Burning River at the top. I tend to like the hop forward versions, so that appeals to me with this beer. I just can't get over the oddity of a canned beer tasting so good.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I've seen this beer many a time at the store and friends enjoying on the mountain. I was surprised at the ale's strength- for a pale ale. Though it has characteristics of a pale ale, the color or remarkably dark. Fantastic dark amber hue. The smell is a direct foreshadow of the taste. Strong, bold taste. Taste lingers and entertains my mouth. delicious brew. Only downside was the price- must have been because it was brought all the way to california. Hmmm.. I am impressed by the taste seeing as it spent a month in a can.. And because of the fact this flavor was delivered from a can I give it an extra quarter point in the rating
I would recommend this to anyone.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man, they nailed it. This is really something special. The pour is a hazy golden, almost like a hefeweissen. Beautiful white head. Aroma is fresh hops. The taste is, just wonderful. It starts sweet, and just when you think this beer will be too sweet, the hops kick, but, not overpowering. The after taste is heaven. A perfect balance of malty sweetness and hop dryness. This tastes like a really, really good homebrew. That is the best thing I can say about any beer.

4.56/5  rDev +17.2%

Hands down this is the best American pale ale I've tasted. It pours a gleaming copper with a thick, sudsy white head that globs up and sits atop the pint almost endlessly.

Good hoppy aromas with lots of pine--and this is the only area where I think they could have done more with this brew. Dale's has a smooth and creamy mouthfeel overall that nicely complements the quick, hoppy start and biscuity middle of the brew. The finish is crisp and bitter. It's a textbook example of a tasty, well-balanced APA.

For a while, I lived in Colorado and thought Dale's was overrated. Far inferior to Old Chub and many of the states great IPAs. I don't know what I was thinking. This is a must have beer. And the fact that it comes in cans makes it only that much more appealing. I'm dreaming about all the ridiculous spots that I'll be able to take this brew.

4.55/5  rDev +17%

Poured a nice copper orange color with a little bit of head and some light lacing. Smell is citrus with the hops coming through. Taste is very good. Great bitter hop flavor. Almost tastes closer to an IPA. Either way it's delicious. Went down really smooth, great light bodied beer. I really really liked this beer. Glad I finally got a chance to try it. Will definitely purchase again.

4.55/5  rDev +17%

I'm seriously torn on whether to give this a 4.5 or 5 on apperance.

Poured into my GABF pint glass. Head is huge and frothy and will never die. Retention is awesome as well. The beer is amber in color and I can see my fingers through the glass.

The smell of wet and dry hops comes out and rapes the nose with ectasy. Some of the caramel malts in the beer come out as the beer warms.

The beer starts out sweet with caramel malts on the front of the tongue. The beer becomes somewhat bready as it warms. MMM. The hopping of this beer must be done during a boil and dry hopped as I'm picking up characteristics of each. This is one hell of a pale ale. A hop mother for a pale ale.

The mouthfeel is very nice. Could be a slight bit more crisp and full, but very very full and the carbonation is just perfect.

I could drink this forever. If I was on a dessert island with 100 cases of this beer and somehow a refrigerator, I would be ok.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew