2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,643 | Reviews: 1,692 | Show All Ratings:
beeragent

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

Finally got this in Texas, and the wait was worth it. Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz. can. The beer pours a medium copper, forming a 1 inch creamy tan head, that leaves medium rings of lace along the glass. The aroma starts off with a piney hop aroma, but also contains a buttery malt aroma to balance it out. The taste is an incredibly smooth, well balanced mix of the hops and malts. The taste isnt the strong hop flavor that was expected, but more subtle citrusy notes, along with a creamy buttery malt flavor. Mouthfeel is much smoother, with the balance of malts. Not the harsh hop finish, but more of a medium smooth finish, but still with a hint of the sharp hops at the end. This is a highly drinkable beer, consisting of good ABV., well balanced flavor, and smooth finish. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer, and will definitely keep a sixer in the fridge.

04-30-2008 23:21:19 | More by beeragent
popery

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

A hoppy, delicious Pale Ale. This beer pours a medium golden color with a creamy white head. The aroma is pleasantly sweet and hoppy. The hops are peachy and floral. There's some malt sweetness, as well. The flavor is hoppy without being overly bitter. They've hit a really nice balance with this beer, though it's definitely hoppy for a pale. There's a very nice sweet caramel malt backbone. It's a satisfying and drinkable beer. I'm trying it against Stone's and definitely prefer this beer. Excellent stuff. I like the cans.

09-26-2009 04:41:58 | More by popery
thebeergeek

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man, they nailed it. This is really something special. The pour is a hazy golden, almost like a hefeweissen. Beautiful white head. Aroma is fresh hops. The taste is, just wonderful. It starts sweet, and just when you think this beer will be too sweet, the hops kick, but, not overpowering. The after taste is heaven. A perfect balance of malty sweetness and hop dryness. This tastes like a really, really good homebrew. That is the best thing I can say about any beer.

04-06-2014 21:37:28 | More by thebeergeek
unscarred785

4.56/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great APA, Pours a 2/3 finger head, Has a very citrisy and Hoppy smell. I thought this was going to be an average at best beer but boy was i wrong! I grabbed a 6 pack at my local beer distributor, Guy behind the counter knows me pretty well and asked me if i was sure i wanted to buy this. After getting home and cracking open a can after dinner i poured it into a glass and was surprised at how well it poured. Lots of lacing and a great orange/amber color. Once i took a sip i couldn't believe what i had just drank. This beer came out of a can!? Before i knew it the glass was empty and i had a smile on my face.

04-15-2014 02:00:21 | More by unscarred785
ppoitras

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

12oz can purchased as part of a six-pack from Whole Foods-Annandale/Alexandria, VA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head above the orangey amber brew. Head recedes slowly, with good lacing. Aroma is substantially of citrus and piney hops. Taste has it all going on, light sweet melt upfront, balanced and then some by tangy hops that pretty much steal the show. Mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent, and the can packaging makes it even that much more drinkable in some locales. As good (or better) than I had heard/expected.

11-01-2005 21:57:28 | More by ppoitras
benito

Oregon

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

Hands down this is the best American pale ale I've tasted. It pours a gleaming copper with a thick, sudsy white head that globs up and sits atop the pint almost endlessly.

Good hoppy aromas with lots of pine--and this is the only area where I think they could have done more with this brew. Dale's has a smooth and creamy mouthfeel overall that nicely complements the quick, hoppy start and biscuity middle of the brew. The finish is crisp and bitter. It's a textbook example of a tasty, well-balanced APA.

For a while, I lived in Colorado and thought Dale's was overrated. Far inferior to Old Chub and many of the states great IPAs. I don't know what I was thinking. This is a must have beer. And the fact that it comes in cans makes it only that much more appealing. I'm dreaming about all the ridiculous spots that I'll be able to take this brew.

11-30-2006 20:56:21 | More by benito
CharlieMopps

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

A: A half-inch of foamy white head tops an opaque deep amber hued brew. Surprising retention and lacing. Looks friggin' delicious.

S: Nice malty base with a hoppy nose that exudes confidence in all directions, with a floral and citrusy scent, yet smells similar to an American Red/Amber ale. Lots of stuff going on in this bouquet, smells tasty.

T: A great malt intro, little bit of sweetness to it, overshadowed by a large but smooth hop presence that lingers throughout. Yet, despite the greatness of the hops, the beer remains well-balanced. I was right from the first two categories, this thing tastes amazing.

M: Strong body and solid carbonation that makes for a creamy and silky offering, excellent mouthfeel... from a can?!

D: Excellent drinkability, enough flavor characteristic packed in to have you reaching for a Dale's Pale anytime. Quite versatile, with so much in every category that it's hard to turn one of these down. At first I was a little skeptical, even after checking Oskar Blues out in the BA mag, but one sip was all it took to convert me. More craft beer in cans!

05-11-2007 02:07:40 | More by CharlieMopps
Stoneman78

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

My first OB beer! Obtained in a trade with jjayjaye, 12oz can poured into a Sam Adams specialty glass

Appearance is burningly bright orange with amber highlights, thin white lacing of head is minimal, fair lacing on the glass

Smell is moderate pine and citrus hops with sweet caramel/pale malts in the background, nice presence for a pale ale

Taste is a nice mix of lighter caramel sweetened malts and more of a pine resin hops, some floral and orange tones pop up in the middle, finishes mildly bitter with biscuit malts

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, smooth and thick texture adds more heft than most pales, mild carbonation

Drinkability is high, a bold and nicely hopped pale ale with great malt presence and balance, the alcohol is non-descript and there is enough here to keep drinking all night long, i'm glad i have a second Dale's but wish i had easier access to OB here in San Diego. Oh well, maybe sometime in the future. . .

02-26-2008 03:22:41 | More by Stoneman78
KarlHungus

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

This beer pours a cloudy pale amber-orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes rather quickly into decent lacing. The aroma is very big for an APA. Grapefruit, citrus, pine resin, and herbs. The taste is as big as the aroma. Tons of grapefruit and pine with a firm bitterness on the tongue and in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation, and a silky texture. Overall, this is one of the best APAs I have had. I would really like to have this available in my area, because it would quickly become my go to pale ale.

12-02-2008 00:33:45 | More by KarlHungus
alkemy

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

(From notes)Fairly clear amber/orange color. However, it wasn't until my second that I actually poured into a glass. It was quite an experience to pull the tab on a can and be greeted with that citrus hops with a hint of pine. There's also some bready malts. Taste is quite comparable to the scent. Really well balanced. This is one of the best APA's I've had...still have to put Burning River at the top. I tend to like the hop forward versions, so that appeals to me with this beer. I just can't get over the oddity of a canned beer tasting so good.

12-22-2009 20:51:24 | More by alkemy
Act25

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite every day beer.

1st, I love the can movement.
a) It's better aeration, better light protection,
b) better for environment. (Cans being infinitely and 100% recyclable and lower energy to recycle than glass, and cheaper by far to transport and store.).
c) Better for outdoors whether kayaking or gardening or walking.

What's a beer without the outdoors?

2nd - This is a beer that makes no apologies for being an original APA. Close to an IPA, but more amber, citruis, piney, and more beautifully copper colored and tasty like a new penny.

Appearance - One of the most beautiful colors and laced heads.
Smell - Everything I expect from the outdoors in a can.
taste - Original cross between IPA and pale ale, distinctly american and unapologetic, I feel like I respect the makers like I respect Steve Jobs.
Feel - rich, full, right for the afternoon and the outdoors. After cutting the lawn, after kayaking 2 hours.

Overall - a 5 for me because it's my go-to beer.

Whole foods NJ offers a 10% discount when you buy a mixed case.

12-26-2012 01:56:10 | More by Act25
Buildscharacter

Georgia

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

I don't know why...maybe it's because it's from a can, or maybe because I just don't expect a tasty IPA to be IN the can, I just love this beer.

I often think that if I had to drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it. Aside from the packaging, this beer has it all.

It's light, but has great acute hop flavor, but goes down smooth and easy.

I don't really know what it looks like, because I really enjoy drinking it in the can, so I can't really comment on it in that regard.

As for the flavor, it's just smooth and tasty. Good balance between the malt and the hop. Reminds me of a more mellow Sierra Nevada.

I highly recomend this beer.

10-06-2006 17:10:20 | More by Buildscharacter
markgugs

poured from a 12oz can into an imperial pint glass

A: pours a gorgeous orange/copper color and forms a very nice cream-colored, 2-finger head that instantly begins lacing quite nicely. This is a beautiful looking beer.

S: gives off a very nice balanced aroma of both juicy hops and sweet malted bread. I want to take a bite!

T: ahhh, glorious. Not as hoppy as Sierra's Pale Ale, not as malted as a strong ale, this beer is perfectly balanced IMO. I think "juicy" is the best word to describe it's flavor, I keep smacking my lips to savor every drop of its bready goodness. Did I mention it's perfectly balanced?

M: creamy and chewy, I love how this beer feels in the mouth, with just the right amount of carbonation ta boot.

D: this is my new go-to beer, it's a splendid combination of low-enough ABV to be able to session with it, it's a great value (I pay about $14-15 per 12 pack of cans here in NJ), and it's delicious. Perfect all-day drinker.

P.S. it's worth noting that this is NOTHING like any other canned beer you may be used to, you'd never know it came from a can.

Highly recommended.

01-29-2007 23:48:56 | More by markgugs
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a nonic glass from my home draught system been on tap for 5 days.

Cloudy, medium amber with a kind of glowing reddish/orange hue. White 2" thick, rocky, head turning chunky, leaving a thick coating on top of the beer all the way down the glass,with very good retention,leaving collars of lace, a very sticky head.

Good hoppy nose citrus/pine and grapefruit a bit perfumy. Nice honeyed carmellness also nutty. Very inviting

Tastes just like it smells citrus/grapefruit/pine with a honey coated nutty carmell taste. Finishes with a sharp,clean citrusy note. Great tasting beer with excellent balance.

Light,creamy mouthfeel,juicy,tangy,slightly syrupy with some cloyingness.
Very enjoyable beer could drink this one all night. Very IPA like, more hoppier and maltier than a lot of IPA's ive tried.
I you see this beer on tap I would highly recommend giving it a try.

03-04-2007 04:16:57 | More by jcdiflorio
tgbljb

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured a dark amber color with bountiful off-white chunky head. Good retention with great lacing.
Smell is hoppy, combining grassy, piney and citrusy notes very nicely.
Taste is absolutely superb. The malt at the beginning is perfectly sweet and the hops slowly creep up and lead to an extraordinary finish. The taste becomes even better as the beer slowly warms.
The finish is dominated by the dryness, which is nice because it beckons for another taste.
Truly a well-made beer. I'm sorry I only purchased one can.

08-10-2007 23:29:41 | More by tgbljb
beerogre

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I was completely taken by surprise by this beer at the Empire Brew Fest during a recent visit to Syracuse. I'd never even heard of it before and it didn't look like much to get excited about, cos canned beer's crap right?...but a lot of people were soaking it up and since my mission was to sample as many different beers as I could, I thought "what the hell". Imagine my surprise when I found that it was the best beer I'd tried all night - and most of what I'd had previously was top rate. It tastes more like an IPA than a APA to me, but who cares...This is one fantastic beer and sadly I have now depleted my stock of it that I brought back to Florida. Yet another reason to move back North.

08-12-2007 01:30:54 | More by beerogre
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

Is it possible that such a high quality beer could be in a can? This pale ale is just about perfect. Its everything I want Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale to be and more.

I received two cans of Dale's and two cans of Old Chubb from a friend of mine who just came back from the Florida pan handle. Here in Mississippi its impossible to find good beer like this. Those Floridians are sure lucky.

This beer pours a hazy barnished bronze and has a very nice glow in the light. A tight full head was easily formed in a close rimmed snifter glass. Lacing persists throughout the beer from start to finish.

The aroma is a fruity banana ester and strong hop overtone. It seems as if the two smells move back and forth like a dance.

Upon first taste a strong hop presence is combated by a floral malt mixure and that is again traded for a lightly bitter hop finish.

Overall, I give Dale's a round of applause and would gladly buy this beer again, and again, and again!

08-12-2008 00:55:23 | More by PerzentRizen
FatSean

Connecticut

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a 20oz tulip pint.

Beautiful stained-pine color. Healthy white head, with considerable lacing.

Malts dominate, but the hops come through too. Nice grainy malt scents.

Lemony, citrusy hops at first sip. Then the dark toast malts flavors catch up. Very nice. The only complaint is that the hop flavors tend to muddy after you've finished swallowing. Hard to find a defect here.

Slightly syrupy mouth feel, not very carbonated. Really gives you something to chew on.

Drinkable as any hoppy beer I've ever had. A brighter hop finish would have earned this brew a 5.0 in this category.

Over all a very nice beer to have available year round. It goes for 2 bucks more for a 12-pack than a SN Pale Ale, but the richer characteristics make that an excellent price.

12-13-2008 23:48:29 | More by FatSean
lonestar1836

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

WOW! i never thought i'd have a beer this good in a can! and i love the "pack it in, pack it out" with the recyling logo on the back, it almost makes me feel like i'm doing something good for the plant.

A: pours a lightly cloudy, brownish yellow
S: carmel tone and malty sweetness (not heavy at all) with hoppy bitter on the back end
T: light malt sweetness at first with nice flourish of hops and ending with a good citrus combo at the end
M: good fizz not too thick
D: i could see myself kicking back around the campfire with this one

01-22-2009 22:45:46 | More by lonestar1836
rkrisstewart

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

Was recommended this by Mike the Beer Guy from Four Winds in Pensacola. Bought only one single can...what a shame!

Initially, I was put off by the can, even though I know it's a myth that it would taste metallic.

The can is deceiving, though, because the beer inside is really great. I was actually a little surprised at first, as the first few sips had a malty sweetness about them, with very little approach from the hops. As I continued drinking it, the hops came out more and more, and really put together a great drinking experience. Well-balanced, sweet and bitter, dry and hoppy, this brew was a great ride of an APA.

Definitely recommended.

06-07-2009 14:15:51 | More by rkrisstewart
AndyAvalanche

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a can into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. This beer is an orange amber color with yellow highlights on the side. It's only the slightest bit darker than the average pale ale, so it still has the color and clarity of that style. This beer produces a creamsicle colored thick foamy head that goes away after several minutes and produces very generous lacing that sticks to the glass. The smell is very good, the hops jump out as you smell. Both citrus and pine hop are present, well balanced between the both. The taste is also great, much like the smell the hops dominate the flavor. Grapefuity and dry/pine hop flavor. Eventhough it's so well hopped, it has a generous amount of malts to it as well. Caramelized and roasted to perfection. It starts very sweet, then a crisp and biter finish. This is a refreshing fairly light bodied beer that has a refreshing and clean mouthfeel. This beer is incredibly drinkable.

I avoided this beer for a long time soley because it was in a can. I am now ashamed of myself. This so far the best American Pale Ale I have ever had and will base all APA's in the future on this beer.

11-19-2009 02:59:11 | More by AndyAvalanche
Zekezilla

Maryland

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Serving type: can. Note: love the old-school design.
Appearance-nice, golden color.
Smell: fresh, citrus.
Taste: I"m happy to report that this is the first pale ale I've really liked. The hoppiness is definitely there but toward the back of the taste. First is the smooth, slightly sweet citrusy burst.
Mouthfeel: very smooth, low carbonation.
Would definitely drink again.

03-14-2010 22:36:35 | More by Zekezilla
epicness

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

A: Let me just start off by saying I love the look of this can. Love the colors and overall appearance of the can. It's just great packaging for what is regarding as such a great beer. The beer itself has a burnt orange color with a fairly white one finger head. The head dissipates rather quickly but leaves the glass colored in lacing which I'm sure will just accumulate with drinking.

S: Citrus hops are dominating in presence. Wow, extremely heavy on the grapefruit and orange peel in this one. There are also some floral style hops present. Can't forget about the sweet, smooth malts either. Based on the scent, I can't wait to try this beer.

T: Had to get a second mouthful of the beer before I had to even stop to think about how it tasted. It's got quite the taste to it. It's not as hoppy as the scent would allow you to believe. The citrus hops are definitely present in the taste, don't get me wrong. Heavy grapefruit and orange taste which gives away to a spicy flavor. There are also some coffee/toffee flavored malts on the finish. The aftertaste is citrus hops. Definitely a great taste.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. It's smooth and velvety.

D: A beer you could have 3-4 of and not blink an eye. Although not a true session beer due to the ABV being above 5%, but I could see drinking these one after another.

01-12-2011 02:39:11 | More by epicness
richkrull

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured a nice copper orange color with a little bit of head and some light lacing. Smell is citrus with the hops coming through. Taste is very good. Great bitter hop flavor. Almost tastes closer to an IPA. Either way it's delicious. Went down really smooth, great light bodied beer. I really really liked this beer. Glad I finally got a chance to try it. Will definitely purchase again.

04-15-2011 23:28:13 | More by richkrull
thebrood1987

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Yep definitely one of the best Pale Ales out there. Maybe because it tastes like an IPA? Perhaps. Anyways, this is my first Oskar Blues beer and the only reason I can think of as to why they didn't call this is an IPA is because they have hoppier beers in their line up when compared to this one.

On the smell I instantly get a piney floral and perfume hop smell mixed in with some sweet smells. The taste is fantastic and really is hoppier then some lesser IPA's I've had. Its very smooth and creamy with a quick flash of sweetness in the beginning and then ending with that floral piney bitter hop taste on the aftertaste. The pine hop taste really lasts and is astringent and bitter.

I strongly suggest this to anybody that loves IPA's and wants a Pale ale that taste just like one. The rich tasting astringent hops really shine through in this beer. The sweetness does take a back seat but if it didn't have any sweetness to balance it out then this would really be even more bitter than it is. An exceptional beer by Oskar Blues.

05-01-2011 21:02:17 | More by thebrood1987