Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,850 | Hads: 6,820
4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

Consumed from a 12 ounce can.

A: Bright orange/amber hue with medium sized white colored head.

S: A bit of pine and citrus as well as hops.

T: A lot like Sierra Nevada's offering: citrusy pale ale followed up by a bit of hop power.

M: Goes down quite smoothly; carbonation and hops are just about right.

D: Wow! It's amazing how the taste is preserved in a can! Certainly worth saving this six pack of cans! Incredible!

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hop filled love in a can, it's packable, drinkable, and just plain tasty. Best enjoyed with friends and straight from the cans. Oskar blues flagship beer is still in my top list for beers year round. 4.5/5 O.B.D91

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

I'd been seeing the aluminum can sixers of this and Old Chub for a few weeks now, so I finally picked one up. Decided to start with the pale. The can calls it a "voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale." Let's hope they're right. It pours smoothly from the wide mouth an unfiltered orange/amber color with lots of visible carbonation leading up to a frothy 2 finger khaki/yellow head that is very sticky and leaves nice lacing throughout. It smells citric (lemon, grapefruit) with pine and some hop oils. The first taste reveals sweet, almost buttery/nutty malts, with caramel, perhaps some earth, and a medium bitterness from the hops which are grapefruit, orange, pine, perhaps soapy, and there's also an apricot quality in there. The body is just right - medium, carbonated, but not overly so, and soooo smooth, even when very cold and drunk straight from the can. On top of that, I'm having grapefruit burps from a CANNED BEER! I can't believe the quality - it tastes so fresh and goes down so easily. This beer screams session ale - I had to struggle to keep a couple to drink the next day. I need more of this stuff - probably gonna go get a case. Wonder if the Old Chub is as good. I guess we'll see...

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

At first this great example of North Carolina beer took the air out of my lungs and made my boy hoods sting. But after the second drink I realized just how good this beer is. As this almost green liquid rolls down your throat it feels like a hard day working in the mountains of North Carolina. It is rough just like the Old North state but like this Beautiful you really have to sit down and take your time to enjoy it. I was 12 when I first drink this, a little clean shaven boy not ready for what I had acquired. But once I finished this beautiful blue can I had a lush over flowing beard and was wearing a flannel and holding an axe. This beer will make a man out of you

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned on 04-27-11 @ 18:11: Adult Content

A: Pours an orange amber, clear. Not as much head as I'd like to see, a little less than a finger. Slightly off white in color, the head falls quickly and leaves behinds an inconsistent film. There is a decent amount of lacing around all sides of the glass.

S: You can smell Dale's as it's leaving the can. Fresh, juicy hops. Grapefruit, orange, pine..there's a spiciness to the nose also. There's some malt present in the nose..seems like caramel.

T: Big hop taste from beginning to end. Citrus, pine, musty(odd, but I like it), spiciness at the end. There's a floral like taste somewhere in here as well that's nice. Along with the spiciness at the end, I also get some of the toasty malt. Great tasting beer.

M: Full and creamy, almost chewy.

O: This is a terrific example of a pale ale, maybe the best I've had. If you like hoppier than usual beers for the style, Dale's is something that you should seek out.

4.44/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy orange with a 1-finger white head.

S- Slightly citrusy and fruity. Grapefruit, orange and lemon mostly. Pine hops and a malt sweetness.

T- Pine hops up front, which cling to the palate. Followed by orange and grapefruit tartness, as well as, some bready malt.

M- Medium carbonation, well-balanced, slightly resiny body. Not heavy but not light or watery at all. Perfect for a pale ale.

O- Very well-rounded brew. Looks great, smells great, tastes great, and feels great going down. A must try, especially for fans of APAs.

4.44/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is so consistent I need to right a review this does nothing spectacular but never fails to be just so damn drinkable no funny taste no funny linger in mouth when you take that last sip your done wanting another I've had this straight from can while mowing and it's okay but I prefer in my yeti sniffer or my goblet just taste a little better when you get your nose involved

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours an amber color with a small lasting head. Smells very hoppy and bitter. The taste is hoppy, very bitter, with a bit of a bite of the end. Hops stay arounf the paletee for a while. Overall a very apa, ejoyed this one and would get it again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have to say this is my new favorite APA,poured a clear deep golden with a very tight well retained 0ne finger head that stuck like glue to the pint glass dissapating ever so slowly.Intermingling aromas of biscuity lightly sweet malt and piney,resiny hop neither win out but a re a perfect match,wow what balance and hop character starts out with a suger dough-like quality but a "voluminously" big piney,resiny hop quality follows thru to the end.I'll tell you what to me its dead on what a American pale ale should be the American hop profile is there but there is some balance,damn I loved it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a orangish amber color with a large creamy white head that has great retention and leaves a lot of lacing around the edges of the glass. Aroma is a very pleasant mixture of malt and hops. The taste much like the smell is very well balanced with a nice mixture of malt and hops. Overall, this is certainly my idea of what an APA should be. It really has a nice hop profile, but I cannot say enough about how well balanced it really is unlike some APAs. The fact that it is in a can is a bonus as it is great for those beach/fishing trips. Highly recommended!

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

Found two six packs at the grocery store. So glad I did. Appearace is dark orange copper amber, a little cloudy. looks and smells like an IPA. Nice two inch head, beutiful lacing. The look is kind of a moot point because this will be consumed directly from the can. Harsh hop presance, in a good way. This has to be very close to an IPA. Juicy oily hops bludgen your tounge. I love this beer. It has even more hoppy goodness than Stone or Sierra Nevada's versions. More of a creamy, complex mouth feel too. At close to 7% ABV, it is almost too drinkable. I just love how it tastes.I really love the fact that it comes in a cool red and blue redneck looking can. I love cans. Up there with my favorites. Great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brewery pours a very nice dark deep amber color with a fluffy 2 finger head. This beer has a great hoppy and malty aroma. Carbonation is perfect. While the beer has all the typical APA flavor with malt, hops, and citrus, I must point out that its main strength lies in its balance of all three. I find it to be very pleasing on the tongue with an almost creamy texture. Most interesting. It's the best beer in a can I've ever tasted although I had mine in a glass. A must try.

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

Review is from notes taken on 10/25/2009. Poured from a can into a pint glass. Something tells me that my score is going to be higher than the average, but what can I say? This is a great freaking beer and I feel they need to start distributing to where I live so I could make it a regular in my fridge.

Appearance: Pours a nearly perfect copper color and comes with a 1/2 finger white fluffy head; body is clear and shows strong carbonation; firm washes and rings of lacing cling to the sides of the glass.

Smell: A fine balance of malty sweetness and a mild piney/citrusy bitter hop presence; malt is stronger in the nose than in the mouth, ultimately, but I am loving how this hits my nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Outstanding! the balance in this pale ale is extraordinary - the hops are more piney than citrusy in the mouth and the resins are super present and leave a thick coating all over the mouth, particularly the roof; the malts offer a firm backing and help smooth out the bitterness.

Drinkability: I wish this was something that I could get my hands on all the time. The smell and taste are great and it's very refreshing, this would definitely be a go-to pale for me.

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

A-Clear golden orange color with lots of bubbles flowing to the top, pure white head, quite thick, solid retention and huge lace on the glass.

S-the nose is quite nice and brings a hint of pale malt up front with big citrus hops holding down the fort. there is some grapefruit and orange in there.

T/M-smooth, lighter body with lots of pale malts up front, nice grapefruit, appricot backbone. hint of bitterness at the finish. perfectly carbonated and crisp clean finish.

D-this is extremely drinkable, just a tad too much bitterness at the finish to be perfectly drinkable for a pale ale. the hop presence is fantastic in the nose and slightly lesser in the taste.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

In a can from Systembolaget, Sweden.
Amber color and clear liquid. 2 finger high wite foam.

The smell is what I want from a Pale Ale: citrus, fresh hops, orange, apricot, herbs, pine & vanilla.

The taste is soft with an immediate bitter taste, pine, grass, grapefruit and malt.

This is so good beer! I keep coming back over and over again :)

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

my first craft in a can. Sure there are options out there, but I think this is the way to start out.

A- a crystal clear amber look with a fantastic head that fades. It presents a picture perfect America Pale Ale look. As the head disappears, spotted lacing is all over the place. It literally rips and tears at the side of the glass as it drops

S- there are some strong orange flavors and fantastic floral hops. You can tell the emphasis on the hops in this. Nevertheless, there are also some malt tones as well. I think that the brew is an excellent depicition of the smell of an AmPA

T- same program. There is a delicious demonstration of floral hop flavor and the same citrus presense as well. A slight caramel flavor that is no doubt the malty sweetness as well. The trick is that the brew is slighly bitter and dry too. Tasty!

M- light, crispy, and creamy. Is that possible? This is rare IMO.

D- Dale's Pale Ale is an incredible brew. While it not only exemplifies the american version of a pale ale... the brew also capitalizes on being a drinkable brew. The hopped up flavor is not only notable... it also is tastyy enough to keep going down. The can is a novelty and I believe Oskar Blues has become the first mover in a canned movement of craft that is about to blow up!

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured the can into a Harpoon IPA pint glass. Wow huge head that takes up half the glass. Piney, hoppy scent - smells like an IPA.

If you told me this is an IPA, I wouldn't question it. Has that strong, bitter taste (and aftertaste) that I've come to know and love over the years. Lacing all over the glass. A somewhat lighter version of Stone's IPA in my opinion. Absolutely delicious, but if you're looking for a more traditional pale ale, I'd recommend Flying Dog, Troegs, or Sierra Nevada. Heavy duty stuff, and a brew I will revisit quite often.

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Can poured to a Sam Adams pint glass.

A - Light amber with plenty of haze. Ivory head falls to a persistent thin layer that leaves nice lacing down the glass.

S - Hops dominate. Piney and resiny, with citrus in the background. Ligth sweet, toasted bread malt comes though as the beer warms.

T - A bit more balanced than the aroma. Lots of hops, with a complex blend of pine, resin, and citrus. Hop bitterness is medium-high, but there is substantial supporting malt that balances more than an IPA.The malt is lightly sweet, grainy and a bit toasty. Bitterness lingers long into the finish a lot like an IPA.

M - Medium body and medium-high carbonation leads to a nice dry, almost astringent finish. Alcohol is very well hidden.

O - One of my new favorite PA, and a likely go-to for a regular fridge stock.

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

I gotta start off and say wow. I love this beer. They call it a pale ale but it's really an IPA for me and a good one at that. Have had this many times, most recently at the Flying Saucer In Houston. Poured a nice orangey amber. All various citrusy aromas, just amazing. Starts a good bitter with a smooth citrusy middle with some biscuit and ends a wonderful citrus taste in the back. I love this beer, enough said.

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer pours a beautiful light mahogany color, there is a slight head on the top of this beer. Carbonation wise, it's light to moderately carbonated. Aroma is of citrus, pine and caramel. The taste is smooth, hoppy, and of caramel. There is a nice slight hop aftertaste that almost outperforms the initial hop bite. This is a awesome canned beer, bravo. Had I not poured this beer I would not know it traveled to me in one. Not a cheap beer, but a great example of a pale ale.

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

Ap: Golden-Orange amber color. Plenty of head. Minimal lacing. Beautiful appearance.

Ar: Orange and floral notes. Nothing super impressive but not distracting.

Ta: This beer is delicious. Plenty of earthy and piney hops, a touch of honey with a nice bitterness that would confuse many into thinking it is an IPA.

Mf: Thick and rich while being creamy. Very engaging.

Ov: Honestly, how is this not an IPA? This beer is full of flavor, character and body. The bitter hops will delight and you will drink any and all I place in front of you. Enjoy each one as it is poured. Cheers!

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

This is one of my favorite, if not my favorite, pale ales. Simply put, I had a CRAVING for this beer this week. The six pack I bought, though nearly 10.50 and a bit dated at nearly 3 plus months didn't disappoint. Is it the can? Or kudos to my local shop for keeping it refrigerated? Anyway, an aggressive pour leaves a two finger head that leaves satisfying amounts of lace by the third pint. The malt is caramel and sweet, but the hop profile is where this beer just shines. It is balanced. The almost brown sugar malt base is perfectly matched with the tangy, citrusy hoppiness. Disappears dangerously fast from my standard pint glass. Flavor abounds and is complex enough to keep you drinking. I love this pale ale! Well done Oskar Blues.

4.46/5  rDev +13.5%

I am in love with this beer. It's not available in my state but I make sure to grab a 12 pack whenever I'm up in Wisconsin, and I always drink it when I got to Colorado. The main reason I'm writing this is to remind any would-be naysayers to TRY THIS BEER IN THE CAN. Don't pour it into a glass. You heard me. I know most beers are meant for glassware and taste better that way but in my opinion, some beers are better out of the can/bottle. Not many, but there are some. And this is one of them.

A couple of my favorite Dale's moments- drinking a cold can of Dale's in the A-Basin parking lot during snowboarding, drinking a cold can of Dale's on a hike at Estes National Park (yes I packed my trash out).

I've also been to the brewery in Lyons, CO. Very cool place. This is hands down my favorite pale ale.

Sorry this isn't a "proper" review but there are MANY below to read. Thanks.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Amber-gold color, touch of haze. Lots of small bubble rising up. Thick rocky head.

Citrus, piney, sweet caramel malts.

Strong hop character, but not overwhelming, citrus, piney, grassy. Rich malty background, bready, caramel. There's some fruity ester. Bitter-crisp finish. Body is robust, crisp, semi-dry, very smooth.

Taste more like an American IPA than American Pale Ale. Highly drinkable, 6.5% ABV is well hidden. Very delicious beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

355ml Can from Good Spirits Co, Glagow (£3.60):
Caramel amber with red tinges & a creamy white head on top with great retention.

Caramel & citrus with sweet malts, pine and a hint of grapefruit that follow this with a hoppy, tropical fruit infused and some further sweetness from the malts to round things off.

Sweet malts & caramel that seems to dominate, although the tropical fruit flavours are more pronounced than they were in the aroma. More hops and pine that in the smell with some juicy citrus too.

Medium & smooth with lively carbonation & it's quite fruity with a lot of bitterness & sweetness. A slightly dry finish with a citrus tang and the balance is great.

An outstanding beer & probably the best American pale ale I've tried to date. Great balance between the sweet caramel malts and the hop filled pine and tropical fruit notes that are backed up with a solid, bitter finish. One that did not disappoint in the slightest.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew