Join our email list →

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

American Pale Ale (APA) | 6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,864 | Hads: 6,922
4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a cold can to tall glass, a classic somewhat dark amber with a solid eggshell head and solid lacing. The nose picks up a beautiful citrus-pine hop with a pleasant root beer malt hint. Very high end for a pale ale! The flavor brings on more of the same with vanilla sweetness and more of a hop grain attack that satisfies any hop appetite in the pale ale world. I also sense a near chocolate malt complement. Medium bodied with a frisky feel from lively carbonation, this is one great pale ale! Highly drinkable and well recommended.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours amber with a thin, white head. Faint malt aromas quickly usurped by the hop bouquet. The hops are fragrant, and come close to a IPA for hoppiness.. The taste definitely does not disappoint; smooth malty sweetness perfectly balanced by the bittering hops. Hop flavor is evident as well. Medium body with a very smooth mouthfeel. Finishes clean. Really well done.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured hard from a can into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A- Deep golden amber body with a big frothy tan head that sticks around all the way through until it sits at the bottom of the glass (like Guinness on tap at an Irish pub)
S- Strong floral nose, something woody decidedly sweet
T- Starts off with a strong bite, then flavors of caramel, apple, and a bittersweet finish. Just on the brink of being too sweet but it comes back just in time.
M- Goes down smooth, medium carbonation
D- Great for a day hike or drinking on your lawn in a hurricane.

Definitely a favorite beer, and it comes in a can too!

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Nice orange-gold color to the body. Thick, creamy white head with fair lacing down my pint glass. Powerful hop aroma: pine and citrus. Golden malt notes to the smell. Rich, malt taste with a wonderful undercurrent of hop bitterness. Medium bodied.

An outstanding canned beer. Rich and flavorful throughout and a delight to drink.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a slightly hazy, golden copper body with a finger-width, dense, white head that dissipates slowly and remains nicely laced. Aroma is loaded with sweet, citrus hops. Big, rich malt profile as well. Flavor is similar. Lots of floral citrus hops and caramels. Light toasted caramel comes through in the finish. Lingering taste of resiny, moderate pine and citrus. Very fresh tasting. Palate is medium bodied and extremely well balanced. Overall, this is what an APA should taste like. Fantastic.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

I know, I know the "thing" about this beer is that it's in a can. And I went and had it on draft...

Anyway, it was suprizingly tasty, especially for a pale ale. Nice color, good appearance, very expressive nose. The taste was the selling point - a whole lot of hops going on, but they are well balanced and compliment each other nicely. Extremely drinkable, at least for a hophead such as myself. Can't wait to track it down in cans...

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

I think this brewery's idea to skew conventional wisdom and serve their beer in cans is novel and necessary. After tasting it I'm not sure why more companies don't do it! This beer pours an amber color with a generous head. The smell is deliciously hoppy with an extra sugar kick. The taste is special as well, and for some reason you can tell it seems to come from a can. It gives it a certain crispness, but in now way cheapens the beer as a whole. The bitterness seems to take over the mouth and suppress any maltyness that would otherwise be apparent.

Drank on: 3/4/10
6.5% ABV
12 oz can in a tulip glass

A= Pretty 1/4" head which was slightly off-white. Opaque golden amber beer. Head receeded slowly leaving a nice whispy lace and a thin layer of bubbles on top.

S= Fantastic hop aroma! Notes of piney citrus (grapefruit) and hints of resiny hops.

T= Light notes of malt come throught. Great delicious citrus hop flavor accompanied by notes of pine. Has a very nice hop bitterness from the middle through the finish. Flavors very similar to the aroma.

MF= Wonderful body which isn't to light. Leaves nice light coating on tongue and has a great lasting bitterness, which is just right.

D= Highly drinkable. Goes down smooth and each sip you take brings you back for another.

Overall, this is definitely my favorite beer in a can. At least so far.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

My opinion is unfortunately tainted because of my love for all things bitter. With that said, I don't know why there are a certain few that can't stand this beer. I would think it could harbor a mediocre review on style compatibility alone- this is an APA and tastes/drinks as such. I, of course, think that it's the best thing in a can that is out there, and one of my favorite hoppy brews overall. If you like hops, then this will double the size of your hop head. Sure it's unbalanced, but that is the appeal of the APA- an overhopped IPA. Am I right? And to validate my opinion, I had this beer on a non-hyped recomendation of a liquor store owner on my visit to the Carolina's- I'd never even heard of it before then. So, hyped or not, from a one hop lover to the next, buy a six and enjoy.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to trep for bringing this my way...12 oz. can into a tulip glass.

Pours a golden amber color, very appealing look with an ample amount of off-white head that leaves good lacing. Delivery from a can makes it all the more improbable and impressive. Aroma is full of caramel malts and big, piney hops. Well-balanced and enticing.

Taste is as good as the aroma, something I haven't often found to be true of pale ales. Same delicious balance of carmelized malts and foresty hops. Mouthfeel has a good carbonation level, it's juicy and crisp with an aftertaste that falls a bit flat but still succeeds for the style. Overall, this is definitely a drinkable beer. Goes down easy and keeps the senses entertained.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

My man Paul recommended this beer to me years ago and I was really blown away then. Figured it was time to pop a can and review it!

Poured from the can to a pint glass.

A - A very vivid copper coloration with huge head and tons of lacing.

S - A completely unique floral bouquet of citrus hops! A slight sweet caramel malt flavor is detectable through the hops but the aroma is citrus hop dominant.

T/M - My taste buds welcomed the hop character immediately. A pleasant variety of grapefruit and other citrus hop flavors meld with a bit of earthy pine hops. The beer transitions to a sweeter more balanced character as the malt flavors comes through and finishes fairly clean with a sweetness and citrus hop note. Not too bitter as might be expected with this variety of hops, quite pleasant.

D - Drinkable for sure. Might be a little much for someone not into the hops or such an aggressive beer.

Overall I'd highly recommend Dale's. It is one of the best Pale Ale's I've ever had.

Serving type: can

Reviewed on: 01-24-2011 20:55:05

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

Thanks again to tweidman420 for the generosity.
Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a kinda hazy amber color with light golden hues around the edges. Yields about 1/2 finger of foam that fades quickly leaving scattered lacing around the glass. A thin layer of tiny bubbles resides on top.

S: Fairly hoppy. Mostly floral, with touches of earth and spice. Not much beyond that. A little bit of caramel and spent grains.

T: Taste is pleasantly surprising compared to aroma. Very hoppy. Plenty of citrus flavors abound to complement the floral and earthy hoppiness. A pretty decent malt backbone as well. Caramel rises up from underneath the hops. To me this is kinda borderline IPA. A tremendous Pale Ale.

M: Beautiful. Medium bodied and chewy and VERY smooth. Just a touch of lingering bitterness and dryness keep me from giving this a perfect score.

D: A VERY GOOD Pale Ale. Perhaps my favorite that I've tried thus far. The only thing that would keep me from drinking a whole bunch is availability and the touch of lingering bitterness/dryness. Almost exceptional :P

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

The NY Times made a big deal about the can and how this contributed to the freshness. Indeed, the beer does taste very fresh, like something you'd have at a brewpub. It's nicely hoppy in the nose and on your tongue (or, preferably, my tongue). The citrus-y hops and substantial maltiness would qualify this as an IPA by many standards. It's a beauty, too, bright amber with a frothy 1/2 inch head and loads of lacing. The smell is grassy and herbal. Dale's goes down easily, so much so that some could treat it as a summertime lawn mower beer...but at 6.5%, pay it the respect it's due.

Note: After writing this, I got two more cans and liked it even more. I then bought another two cans, and liked those more. This beer is really growing on me.

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

Consumed from a 12 ounce can.

A: Bright orange/amber hue with medium sized white colored head.

S: A bit of pine and citrus as well as hops.

T: A lot like Sierra Nevada's offering: citrusy pale ale followed up by a bit of hop power.

M: Goes down quite smoothly; carbonation and hops are just about right.

D: Wow! It's amazing how the taste is preserved in a can! Certainly worth saving this six pack of cans! Incredible!

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hop filled love in a can, it's packable, drinkable, and just plain tasty. Best enjoyed with friends and straight from the cans. Oskar blues flagship beer is still in my top list for beers year round. 4.5/5 O.B.D91

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

I'd been seeing the aluminum can sixers of this and Old Chub for a few weeks now, so I finally picked one up. Decided to start with the pale. The can calls it a "voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale." Let's hope they're right. It pours smoothly from the wide mouth an unfiltered orange/amber color with lots of visible carbonation leading up to a frothy 2 finger khaki/yellow head that is very sticky and leaves nice lacing throughout. It smells citric (lemon, grapefruit) with pine and some hop oils. The first taste reveals sweet, almost buttery/nutty malts, with caramel, perhaps some earth, and a medium bitterness from the hops which are grapefruit, orange, pine, perhaps soapy, and there's also an apricot quality in there. The body is just right - medium, carbonated, but not overly so, and soooo smooth, even when very cold and drunk straight from the can. On top of that, I'm having grapefruit burps from a CANNED BEER! I can't believe the quality - it tastes so fresh and goes down so easily. This beer screams session ale - I had to struggle to keep a couple to drink the next day. I need more of this stuff - probably gonna go get a case. Wonder if the Old Chub is as good. I guess we'll see...

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

At first this great example of North Carolina beer took the air out of my lungs and made my boy hoods sting. But after the second drink I realized just how good this beer is. As this almost green liquid rolls down your throat it feels like a hard day working in the mountains of North Carolina. It is rough just like the Old North state but like this Beautiful you really have to sit down and take your time to enjoy it. I was 12 when I first drink this, a little clean shaven boy not ready for what I had acquired. But once I finished this beautiful blue can I had a lush over flowing beard and was wearing a flannel and holding an axe. This beer will make a man out of you

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned on 04-27-11 @ 18:11: Adult Content

A: Pours an orange amber, clear. Not as much head as I'd like to see, a little less than a finger. Slightly off white in color, the head falls quickly and leaves behinds an inconsistent film. There is a decent amount of lacing around all sides of the glass.

S: You can smell Dale's as it's leaving the can. Fresh, juicy hops. Grapefruit, orange, pine..there's a spiciness to the nose also. There's some malt present in the nose..seems like caramel.

T: Big hop taste from beginning to end. Citrus, pine, musty(odd, but I like it), spiciness at the end. There's a floral like taste somewhere in here as well that's nice. Along with the spiciness at the end, I also get some of the toasty malt. Great tasting beer.

M: Full and creamy, almost chewy.

O: This is a terrific example of a pale ale, maybe the best I've had. If you like hoppier than usual beers for the style, Dale's is something that you should seek out.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy orange with a 1-finger white head.

S- Slightly citrusy and fruity. Grapefruit, orange and lemon mostly. Pine hops and a malt sweetness.

T- Pine hops up front, which cling to the palate. Followed by orange and grapefruit tartness, as well as, some bready malt.

M- Medium carbonation, well-balanced, slightly resiny body. Not heavy but not light or watery at all. Perfect for a pale ale.

O- Very well-rounded brew. Looks great, smells great, tastes great, and feels great going down. A must try, especially for fans of APAs.

4.44/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is so consistent I need to right a review this does nothing spectacular but never fails to be just so damn drinkable no funny taste no funny linger in mouth when you take that last sip your done wanting another I've had this straight from can while mowing and it's okay but I prefer in my yeti sniffer or my goblet just taste a little better when you get your nose involved

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours an amber color with a small lasting head. Smells very hoppy and bitter. The taste is hoppy, very bitter, with a bit of a bite of the end. Hops stay arounf the paletee for a while. Overall a very apa, ejoyed this one and would get it again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My favorite every day beer.

1st, I love the can movement.
a) It's better aeration, better light protection,
b) better for environment. (Cans being infinitely and 100% recyclable and lower energy to recycle than glass, and cheaper by far to transport and store.).
c) Better for outdoors whether kayaking or gardening or walking.

What's a beer without the outdoors?

2nd - This is a beer that makes no apologies for being an original APA. Close to an IPA, but more amber, citruis, piney, and more beautifully copper colored and tasty like a new penny.

Appearance - One of the most beautiful colors and laced heads.
Smell - Everything I expect from the outdoors in a can.
taste - Original cross between IPA and pale ale, distinctly american and unapologetic, I feel like I respect the makers like I respect Steve Jobs.
Feel - rich, full, right for the afternoon and the outdoors. After cutting the lawn, after kayaking 2 hours.

Overall - a 5 for me because it's my go-to beer.

Whole foods NJ offers a 10% discount when you buy a mixed case.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have to say this is my new favorite APA,poured a clear deep golden with a very tight well retained 0ne finger head that stuck like glue to the pint glass dissapating ever so slowly.Intermingling aromas of biscuity lightly sweet malt and piney,resiny hop neither win out but a re a perfect match,wow what balance and hop character starts out with a suger dough-like quality but a "voluminously" big piney,resiny hop quality follows thru to the end.I'll tell you what to me its dead on what a American pale ale should be the American hop profile is there but there is some balance,damn I loved it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a orangish amber color with a large creamy white head that has great retention and leaves a lot of lacing around the edges of the glass. Aroma is a very pleasant mixture of malt and hops. The taste much like the smell is very well balanced with a nice mixture of malt and hops. Overall, this is certainly my idea of what an APA should be. It really has a nice hop profile, but I cannot say enough about how well balanced it really is unlike some APAs. The fact that it is in a can is a bonus as it is great for those beach/fishing trips. Highly recommended!

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

Found two six packs at the grocery store. So glad I did. Appearace is dark orange copper amber, a little cloudy. looks and smells like an IPA. Nice two inch head, beutiful lacing. The look is kind of a moot point because this will be consumed directly from the can. Harsh hop presance, in a good way. This has to be very close to an IPA. Juicy oily hops bludgen your tounge. I love this beer. It has even more hoppy goodness than Stone or Sierra Nevada's versions. More of a creamy, complex mouth feel too. At close to 7% ABV, it is almost too drinkable. I just love how it tastes.I really love the fact that it comes in a cool red and blue redneck looking can. I love cans. Up there with my favorites. Great beer.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew