Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,850 | Hads: 6,820
2.78/5  rDev -29.3%

Average appearance for an American Pale Ale. The taste had a nice citrus hint and seemed to be well hopped. However, the aroma left a bit to be desired, as it was a bit flat and lacked the complexity that separates the superior ales of this style.

Overall it is a good beer, however I think much of its appeal is derived from the fact that it comes in a can. A good marketing ploy.

ABV is a plus.

2.79/5  rDev -29%

1 12-oz can, poured into a pint.

Has a little viscosity to it and a gold-amber hue topped with a sticky off-white froth. Aroma is almost non-existent and consisting of sweet pale malts and wet hop leaf.

Upon first sip there's a moment of malt sweetness followed by a tsunami of hop bitterness which gets pretty rough at the end. It's brief and is followed by more pale malt flavor. There's little to no carbonation going on here and that to me is reminiscent of a cask-conditioned ale, especially as the beer is allowed to warm up a few degrees. But as I drink I learn not to take too big of a sip, as that hop bite is rather unpleasant.

2.8/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams Pint Glass.

A: Amber beer with about an inch of head and a slight haze.
S: Pretty strong smell of pine hops with a touch of sweetness and grapefruit.
T:Starts out with a sweet malty grapefruit taste followed by a strong hoppy taste.
M: Smooth with strong carbonation, leaves a lingering bitterness
D: Not necessarily my first choice in this style but by no means a bad beer; a nice beer for an outdoor occasion but by no means a go to.

2.83/5  rDev -28%

Poured out of a can into a pint glass. Served cool.

A-red gold body and a nice white head

S-strong tangerine notes

T-tangerine hop flavor is assertive and the grain husk notes
sneak in to diversify the flavors.

M-light but slightly watery

D-okay beer. I think there are better ones out there for sure. I don't think I would go for this on a regular basis but I might camp with it. Not very complex but thirst quenching.

2.83/5  rDev -28%

Pours a yellow somewhat hazy color with a thick white head and generous lacing. Smells of fruit and hop aroma. Tastes mostly bitter with a little malt and fruits hidden throughout with a dry finish. Mouthfeel is average and drinkability is as well.
Not a bad beer, not just one that I personally love, good for those who love their very hoppy beer.

2.84/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a shaker pint glass.

A: Clear, light amber color with over one finger of diminishing peachy foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Caramel-leaning pale malt slightly exceeds floral and piney hops, with the suggestion of esters just detectable.

T: Begins off-dry, with husky malt that soon becomes sweet and slightly spirituous. Hop aromatics are spicy and herbaceous, while the contribution of fairly strong esters brings out mixed floral/fruity qualities. Acidity peaks at a moderate level before the middle, while caramel blankets the palate in the middle as hops fade, also allowing ethanol to stand out. The finish features resurgent dryness and bracing bitterness that is astringent, slightly herbaceous, and long-lasting.

M: Medium viscosity, sticky and harsh on the palate due to astringency and heat, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This may be one of the biggest and most extreme APAs currently in production. The flavor profile comes across as a multi-wave assault on the palate, but really isn't very enjoyable. It seems like a malt-forward ale until the finish, when harsh bitterness sets in--making it seem like a bit of a mess.

2.84/5  rDev -27.7%

This is a clear amber colored ale with a tall off-white head.
There is not much in the aroma department, other than a trace amount of hops.
The flavor is better than the aroma implies. There is an initial graininess followed by a nice bitter hop flavor. I however do detect a bit of metallic flavor.
The mouth feel is medium in body and is actively carbonated.

2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

Typical hop-driven pale ale, but nothing too special. 12 oz can to glass. Copper color, a bit darker than what Ive seen for this style. Nose was good, fresh hop smell. Pretty mellow flavors, nothing too crazy or exciting in either malt or hops. Overall decent, well-made but not sure I'd recommend this.

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

I like the idea of using the cans. The beer pours a slightly hazy deep yellow. It had an off white 1 finger head.
The can says something about a hopped up pale ale, no lie. I just don't care for the kind of hops used. The aroma is of a pine forest and the taste is exactly the same. Chewing on pine needles. As a pale ale I think it is to hoppy. I wouldn't enjoy more than one.

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured a 12 ounce can into a challis. This was among my first purchases from a nice micro and import beer store in Yakima, Washington.

A: It poured cloudy orange with a hint of copper sheen. There was a slight off-white head that receded quickly leaving a thin coating over the top of the brew and providing a even and pleasant lacking as I drank the beer.

S: The odor of piney hops was strong and overpowering to all other aromas.

T: It started out with a hint of creamy sweet malts that was quickly overcome by the pungent flavor of bitter hops. I picked up no fruity flavors and the malts were so muted that all I could focus on was the shock and awe on my tongue of the hops.

M: It was a light to medium bodied brew with modest carbonation. It tasted bitter in the mouth but did not leave a lingering sour or bitter flavor after I finished each sip.

D: I did not enjoy the shock from the fist sip but as I drank on it began to grow on me. It benefits from resting after the pour. After a modest rest it becomes a much smoother and creamer beer, however, it retains its bitter hop zip and relatively clean aftertaste.

Comment: I may need to try this beer again in a few months. At first I was sure I would not enjoy this beer but it grew on me and I would like a second sampling to get a better handle on this strange beer.

2.89/5  rDev -26.5%

12 oz can poured into ergonomic pint glass.

A: Looks nice! Good copper/bronze color, nice thick head.

S: Just caught a nose full of pine. Maybe a bit a fruit in there, but hops/pine smell dominated my pour.

T: I am not a hop-head in general, so I was a bit worried here. Certainly a very bold taste, but just not what I like in a beer. Hops hit hard up front and bitter citrus (grapefruit?) taste lingered long afterwards. Others in my drinking party whose tastes leaned more towards the IPA end of the beer spectrum seemed to enjoy it.

M: Good carbonation, but the persistent astringent finish struck me as unpleasant.

D: Not one I'd look to drink in multiplicity, but I'll attribute that more to my palate than to the beer itself.

A tremendous amount of character from a can. I know it is a respectable APA... it just isn't a style that I like in general. That being said, if these same guys come up with a stout, I'll absolutely give it a try.

2.91/5  rDev -26%

appearance: reddish amber color with big fluffy cream colored head on the top

smell: not a lot there strangely all I'm getting is a bit of pumpkin and just a hint of spicy hops

taste: a bit of malt but over all it tastes a little watery, lightly toasty and then there's a bit of bitterness on the finish. Not offensive but nothing special either.

mouthfeel: a bit creamy, medium light body and a bit of astringence, seems slightly under carbonated

drinkability: It's ok but I just don't see what the hype is about. The stuff is light and drinkable but I don't think it's anything special either. I really like this brewery but this brew in particular left me underwhelmed. I might need to seek this out again though just because it's so popular.

2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a copper color with a very thick two finger head that when you start drinking gives way to a lot of lacing. The smell is of earthy hops and malt. The taste of the beer was of earthy hops at the end and middle. There was a hint of malt up front to the beer. The mouthfeel was dry. There wasn't alot of carbonation in the beer. The drinkability was okay, the beer had a more earthy hop taste that I wasn't expecting for a pale ale. I thought this was more along the line of an IPA.

2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

Look: Three finger white shaving cream head, crystal clear copper (about a 13 SRM), very nice lacing. Good Carb.

Smell: Sweet malts, floral, pine, big grapefruit, tangerine. Simple but good hoppy APA nose.

Taste: Floral, lighter grapefruit, pear, very piney, sweet malts again. Strong hop bite for a APA IMO almost like an IPA. Good carb. A little too light body, it's border line watery. Dry.

Final Thoughts: This is a nice IPA, if only it was an IPA. This is too hoppy for a pale ale (I am well aware that APA's are more hop forward, this is over done IMO.) I love PAs, but this one is really just like a light bodied IPA. I've had IPA's that were much less hoppy. Also the body is too light for a PA. Close to watery. Not happy with this one as a APA. Great looks, good nose, but it stops there for me. If they want to re-market it as a IPA and fixed the body, I'd buy it again.

2.94/5  rDev -25.2%

A--Bubbly, cloudy copper color with a thin layer of head in my pint glass

S--Mostly caramel malts, not really smelling much at all in the way of hops

T--Taste follows suit...where are the hops? I know this is just an APA, but I still expect at least a halfway decent hop profile. There is a bit of cat piss, but other than that it is just caramel maltiness.

M--Fine for the style

D--Perhaps the Union Jack IPA I had before this ruined my palate? I just don't get this beer, it is nowhere near above average

2.96/5  rDev -24.7%

12 oz can, poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Nice light copper color with a strong and thick off-white head. Good lacing as it slowly recedes. Quite clear.

Smell: Citrus American hops hit first, but not too strong. Background malitiness with a little spice.

Taste: Unfortunately, the first taste was strongly metallic. Don't know if this is the result of the can or something else. Subsequent tastes not nearly as metallic, but it's still there. Other than that, there's not much complexity here. A minor sweetness up front, some spicy hop flavor in the middle and a moderate hop bitterness in the finish. I don't like that metallic background.

Mouthfeel: Thinnish feel, good carbonation though.

Drinkability: The initial metallic taste does mostly wear off, but that was quite strong for a first taste. Other than that, the drinkability is not bad.

2.97/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured out of a can into a pint glass. Very cool beer art for a beer can.

A. Cloudy amber with some carbonation through the cloudiness.Little head with lace left throughout the whole tasting.
S. Strong malt smell with hops and citrus.
T. Strong carmel malts upfront.The hops come through while the malts are still present.Very aggressive for the style.AS it warms the flavors sour a bit.
M. Sticky and creamy.Thick
D. Tried a second to verify my thoughts.Very aggressive beer for it's style.I would definitely drink this one again.But not my first choice of this style.

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%

Amber colored and fiercly bitter, this pale ale drinks like an IPA. The extreme bitterness of the hops was offset slightly by the balance in the body, malty but still crisp. A nice white head that disapated quickly and left little lace. A typical american micro pale ale in my opinon, meaning way overdone with the hop bitterness, which severely limits it's drinkablity for me, although I am not much of a hop head.

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light copper color, small head but lots of lacing. Very clear

Hops are there, but there is a lot of specialty malt showing up that overpowers the hops.

Very, very caramely flavor. There's some biscuit in there as well, but it's more like a slightly hoppy amber in flavor.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated, but very heavy and syrupy for a pale ale.

Way too many specialty malts in this beer for the style, also too high an ABV. That being said, it's very tasty despite BJCP guidelines. I've had this a few times and do enjoy it even though it's a bit heavy and caramely for what you would expect by reading the can.

One very different kinda brew you either get or you don't, and I don't get this one. Keeping in tradition I drank it out of the can, so I haven't a clue what it looks like or if it has any type of head at all. So I rated that blindly and back tracked from the taste profile and called it even. The taste is really the clincher anyway. To be honest I thought it tasted strange, not bad but weirdly different. Thy say it's a hoppy muther on a beer, but it doesn't taste hoppy in the sense that an IPA is hoppy. Mouth feel is kinda thick and viscous, followed by the strange taste, and the finish lasts forever and not in a good way. It is drinkable and I only had a six, so maybe it grows on you, I don't know. From the other reviews I was expecting more, and to top it off it really isn't all that cheap. Obviously worth a try. but I can buy Hop Devil or Sweetwater for a buck more a six, and that's no contest.

11-6-10- A quick edit. I have to admit my 1st impression was a bit harsh, tried it again and i really enjoyed the 2nd go round. The only difference was where I bought it from which ,may have been a problem, still a little quirky of the taste buds typical from SKA, one you either like or hate. I still drink it out of the can and it's a nice beach or pool brew, but I'd bump up the taste to at least a 4.

12oz. can poured into a nonic.

(A)- Pours a fairly basic yellow color. Some good white froth and lacing.

(S)- Some fairly dense pine-like resin and citrus.

(T)- Similar to the smell mostly. Good citrus notes with bits of pine and a mildly sweet caramel-like maltiness.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Not overly bitter yet with good citrus and malt balance.

(O)- Overall, its nice. It is just forgettable for me in the immense sea that is pale ale, ipa, dipa that are out there.

Not bad...nuthin' special...bought some while on vacation in Colorado & its nuthin' I feel to be good enough to take any home with...wanna find something really new & good in Colorado to knock me off my feet & this just is not it.

From a can into a 12 oz. glass

Appearance: Honey orange. No head. Strange bubble formations remain on top sort of looking like a brain. Minute amounts of lace cling to the glass. Nothing special to see here.

Smell: Citric hops. A little skunky which is weird since this is from a can. I suppose this one is short on aroma hops. The off smells are somewhat masked by roasted pale malts. Pretty delicious smelling, reminds me of a a lighter version of the Firestone DBA smell.

Taste: Slightly too strong for a pale ale. Should be called an IPA. Pretty weak in terms of taste stuff. The hops don't sting but they also don't jump out of the glass. The beer has some sweet qualities. Slight grapefruit taste. The main characteristics I got is spiciness from the hop. There isn't much of an aftertaste. The malts tend to dominate. Though they aren't as tasty as they smell. This beer would taste good with some bbq on a sunny day. It is a good beer too through into a session but a little high ABV. Nothing compels me to drink a lot of this.
I enjoy my local California pale ales more. I'd rather buy a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada, which is also cheaper.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium. Gets worse the longer you leave it in the mouth. Not enough character to hold on to.

Drinkability: I can put it down but I'm not super enthusiastic about this beer. I would never turn one down but I probably won't be buying this one again.

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appeared slightly hazy copper & basically kluged like oil out of the can. Lite carbonation can be seen, and produced a 1 finger head with only slightly under par retention. Lacing was minimal & not worth a mention. Smelled of bright citrus fruity aromas, lots of pineapple, grapefruit, grape, and dates. Following is mild spice & pine notes, very bright on the citrus/fruitiness overall and I couldn't really detect much malts.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tasted of semi bright citrus/fruity notes, grapefruit, pineapple, raisin, grape, and following is lots of spicy, pine notes. Good amount of burnt like hop bitterness throughout, and it even lingers as well, as it warms a bit of alcohol becomes pronounced as well as burnt sugary, caramel like flavors. Mouthfeel was oily & thick, a bit chewy and full-medium bodied. Needed more of an active feel to it.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Well guys I got an old one, I mean really old, the date was 08/08/08, and yet despite that, it was still pretty good, I wouldn't mind having 3 pints of this delicious brew, fresh of course. Ive had this once before and I can tell you that it was much brighter, much fresher, oh and you know that carbonation I said it needed? Well it was there when I had it a while ago, I don't remember it being so thick & oily either, still with the grade I'm giving it really says something. I recommend you read other reviews & not just mine though.

NOTE! Will have to come back with a fresher review.

3.01/5  rDev -23.4%

I was so excited to find a six pack of this at Wegman's in Lakewood, NY 8 29 09 after having Ten Fidy and loving it. Consumed at my brother's house near Chautaqua Institute just down the road. Six pack was priced at just under $10. I tried Old Chub just before trying this one.

A Translucent caramel body under a 2 inch huge head. Both body and head appropriate to the style. 4.0

S Grapefruit bitter hops, moderate, edging on severe. Boring. 3.0

T Typical IPA. Hops, hops, distant malt. Too unbalanced and, well, boring. 3.0

M Smooth (which is appreciated) but the bitter grapefruit hops ruin any benefit that the smoothenss may have brought. 3.5

D One and done for more. This is not my favorite style since I think, as a style, it is unbalanced and, therefore, boring. I never liked grapefruit and I do not like that taste in a beer either. 2.5

Notes: This is by far the hoppiest beer that I have ever seen in a can and if you like hops then you will appreciate this one more than I do.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew