Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,537 | Reviews: 1,882
2.72/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance: A bright orange amber color with a pillowy white 1-1/2 finger head. Nice clarity with plenty of lacing.
Smell: Wet hops and heavy malt aroma. Similar to some barley wines that I have had, sort of a heavy wet grain nose. Fragrances of dark fruits and some caramel.
Taste: Much like it smelled, but the malts and grain really bite you. I thought this beer tasted much darker than it looked. The hops had a sticky dank quality and even though the hops and malts seem balanced there was a slight sourness to it all.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and slippery. Almost a lubricating feel to it.
Drinkability: I thought the taste was a little overboard and strong on the senses for a pale ale.

2.73/5  rDev -29.8%

Nice burnished copper in color with a big foamy, white head that never really went away. Lots of lacing all around the glass. Nose is mildyl malty with just a slight hint of hops.

Flavor was at first full of fresh hops nicely balanced with a slight malt backbone. However, within minutes of being poured and beginning to warm the hop flavors quickly turned into a sour, bad vegetable offering. Maybe I just got a bad can but this was tough to drink. It eventually wound up being pretty sour. Medium body but a bit too tastebud-twisting in the finish.

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I am a big fan of Oskar Blue beers. I tasted this one from a variety pack. Honestly, there wasnt much of any distinct aroma/bouquet from this.

The taste was clean and crisp, which I always find positive. The mouthful was a little on the thin side as well as the aftertaste.

Nothing to find fault with this ale, just that it wasnt something that stands out with the various beers that I have tasted

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had this one at a golf-course on Long Island after the 9th hole. I'm not sure about their turnover so I suppose it's possible that I got an old can or something, but it was just meh.

I'm certain that it was better than the Corona Light that was also available in the snack-bar, or maybe my palate is a little more refined these days.

I didn't experience any complexity, tasted very dry, almost flat.

Cool can. I would rather support a smaller brewery any day of the week. I would drink this again, but I'd know what I was getting into next time. Maybe if my perspective was different I'd have a different experience. Plus I suck at golf.

2.76/5  rDev -29%

12oz can. No freshness date.
Dull honey amber color with a fading off-white head and some sticky and trailing lacing.
This brew has an odd husk and damp grain smell. A whiff of pinesap is in the background.
The predominant taste is of sweet honey coated powered malt. An unusual taste of over-ripe melon is noticeable. Do I taste unripe pears? Weird! Weirder yet, is a slight taste of buttermilk. The hops have a raspy black tea-like astringent bitterness. Upon more careful scrutiny, a metallic (pennies) bitterness emerges. A weak lime-like citrusy bitterness lingers. The alcoholic bite is a bit harsh, though not overwhelming. This brew seems to stray off the mark of the typical Pale Ale style. I feel like I need to have my taste buds refreshed or tested after drinking this oddball beer!

2.77/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I had high expectations opening up a can of this stuff. It was recommended to me, because I wanted to try a new pale ale. It's very boring and leaves a strange taste in your mouth. With that said, I would still drink it over alot of other shit

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

Average appearance for an American Pale Ale. The taste had a nice citrus hint and seemed to be well hopped. However, the aroma left a bit to be desired, as it was a bit flat and lacked the complexity that separates the superior ales of this style.

Overall it is a good beer, however I think much of its appeal is derived from the fact that it comes in a can. A good marketing ploy.

ABV is a plus.

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not much taste, bite on the backend

2.79/5  rDev -28.3%

1 12-oz can, poured into a pint.

Has a little viscosity to it and a gold-amber hue topped with a sticky off-white froth. Aroma is almost non-existent and consisting of sweet pale malts and wet hop leaf.

Upon first sip there's a moment of malt sweetness followed by a tsunami of hop bitterness which gets pretty rough at the end. It's brief and is followed by more pale malt flavor. There's little to no carbonation going on here and that to me is reminiscent of a cask-conditioned ale, especially as the beer is allowed to warm up a few degrees. But as I drink I learn not to take too big of a sip, as that hop bite is rather unpleasant.

2.8/5  rDev -28%

Poured into a Sam Adams Pint Glass.

A: Amber beer with about an inch of head and a slight haze.
S: Pretty strong smell of pine hops with a touch of sweetness and grapefruit.
T:Starts out with a sweet malty grapefruit taste followed by a strong hoppy taste.
M: Smooth with strong carbonation, leaves a lingering bitterness
D: Not necessarily my first choice in this style but by no means a bad beer; a nice beer for an outdoor occasion but by no means a go to.

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured out of a can into a pint glass. Served cool.

A-red gold body and a nice white head

S-strong tangerine notes

T-tangerine hop flavor is assertive and the grain husk notes
sneak in to diversify the flavors.

M-light but slightly watery

D-okay beer. I think there are better ones out there for sure. I don't think I would go for this on a regular basis but I might camp with it. Not very complex but thirst quenching.

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a yellow somewhat hazy color with a thick white head and generous lacing. Smells of fruit and hop aroma. Tastes mostly bitter with a little malt and fruits hidden throughout with a dry finish. Mouthfeel is average and drinkability is as well.
Not a bad beer, not just one that I personally love, good for those who love their very hoppy beer.

2.84/5  rDev -27%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a shaker pint glass.

A: Clear, light amber color with over one finger of diminishing peachy foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Caramel-leaning pale malt slightly exceeds floral and piney hops, with the suggestion of esters just detectable.

T: Begins off-dry, with husky malt that soon becomes sweet and slightly spirituous. Hop aromatics are spicy and herbaceous, while the contribution of fairly strong esters brings out mixed floral/fruity qualities. Acidity peaks at a moderate level before the middle, while caramel blankets the palate in the middle as hops fade, also allowing ethanol to stand out. The finish features resurgent dryness and bracing bitterness that is astringent, slightly herbaceous, and long-lasting.

M: Medium viscosity, sticky and harsh on the palate due to astringency and heat, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This may be one of the biggest and most extreme APAs currently in production. The flavor profile comes across as a multi-wave assault on the palate, but really isn't very enjoyable. It seems like a malt-forward ale until the finish, when harsh bitterness sets in--making it seem like a bit of a mess.

2.84/5  rDev -27%

This is a clear amber colored ale with a tall off-white head.
There is not much in the aroma department, other than a trace amount of hops.
The flavor is better than the aroma implies. There is an initial graininess followed by a nice bitter hop flavor. I however do detect a bit of metallic flavor.
The mouth feel is medium in body and is actively carbonated.

2.85/5  rDev -26.7%

Typical hop-driven pale ale, but nothing too special. 12 oz can to glass. Copper color, a bit darker than what Ive seen for this style. Nose was good, fresh hop smell. Pretty mellow flavors, nothing too crazy or exciting in either malt or hops. Overall decent, well-made but not sure I'd recommend this.

2.87/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It's a decent APA.thats it.

2.88/5  rDev -26%

I like the idea of using the cans. The beer pours a slightly hazy deep yellow. It had an off white 1 finger head.
The can says something about a hopped up pale ale, no lie. I just don't care for the kind of hops used. The aroma is of a pine forest and the taste is exactly the same. Chewing on pine needles. As a pale ale I think it is to hoppy. I wouldn't enjoy more than one.

2.88/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured a 12 ounce can into a challis. This was among my first purchases from a nice micro and import beer store in Yakima, Washington.

A: It poured cloudy orange with a hint of copper sheen. There was a slight off-white head that receded quickly leaving a thin coating over the top of the brew and providing a even and pleasant lacking as I drank the beer.

S: The odor of piney hops was strong and overpowering to all other aromas.

T: It started out with a hint of creamy sweet malts that was quickly overcome by the pungent flavor of bitter hops. I picked up no fruity flavors and the malts were so muted that all I could focus on was the shock and awe on my tongue of the hops.

M: It was a light to medium bodied brew with modest carbonation. It tasted bitter in the mouth but did not leave a lingering sour or bitter flavor after I finished each sip.

D: I did not enjoy the shock from the fist sip but as I drank on it began to grow on me. It benefits from resting after the pour. After a modest rest it becomes a much smoother and creamer beer, however, it retains its bitter hop zip and relatively clean aftertaste.

Comment: I may need to try this beer again in a few months. At first I was sure I would not enjoy this beer but it grew on me and I would like a second sampling to get a better handle on this strange beer.

2.89/5  rDev -25.7%

12 oz can poured into ergonomic pint glass.

A: Looks nice! Good copper/bronze color, nice thick head.

S: Just caught a nose full of pine. Maybe a bit a fruit in there, but hops/pine smell dominated my pour.

T: I am not a hop-head in general, so I was a bit worried here. Certainly a very bold taste, but just not what I like in a beer. Hops hit hard up front and bitter citrus (grapefruit?) taste lingered long afterwards. Others in my drinking party whose tastes leaned more towards the IPA end of the beer spectrum seemed to enjoy it.

M: Good carbonation, but the persistent astringent finish struck me as unpleasant.

D: Not one I'd look to drink in multiplicity, but I'll attribute that more to my palate than to the beer itself.

A tremendous amount of character from a can. I know it is a respectable APA... it just isn't a style that I like in general. That being said, if these same guys come up with a stout, I'll absolutely give it a try.

2.91/5  rDev -25.2%

appearance: reddish amber color with big fluffy cream colored head on the top

smell: not a lot there strangely all I'm getting is a bit of pumpkin and just a hint of spicy hops

taste: a bit of malt but over all it tastes a little watery, lightly toasty and then there's a bit of bitterness on the finish. Not offensive but nothing special either.

mouthfeel: a bit creamy, medium light body and a bit of astringence, seems slightly under carbonated

drinkability: It's ok but I just don't see what the hype is about. The stuff is light and drinkable but I don't think it's anything special either. I really like this brewery but this brew in particular left me underwhelmed. I might need to seek this out again though just because it's so popular.

2.91/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Very solid pale. Great for session.

2.93/5  rDev -24.7%

Pours a copper color with a very thick two finger head that when you start drinking gives way to a lot of lacing. The smell is of earthy hops and malt. The taste of the beer was of earthy hops at the end and middle. There was a hint of malt up front to the beer. The mouthfeel was dry. There wasn't alot of carbonation in the beer. The drinkability was okay, the beer had a more earthy hop taste that I wasn't expecting for a pale ale. I thought this was more along the line of an IPA.

2.93/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Overhyped, too bitter for an APA.

2.93/5  rDev -24.7%

Look: Three finger white shaving cream head, crystal clear copper (about a 13 SRM), very nice lacing. Good Carb.

Smell: Sweet malts, floral, pine, big grapefruit, tangerine. Simple but good hoppy APA nose.

Taste: Floral, lighter grapefruit, pear, very piney, sweet malts again. Strong hop bite for a APA IMO almost like an IPA. Good carb. A little too light body, it's border line watery. Dry.

Final Thoughts: This is a nice IPA, if only it was an IPA. This is too hoppy for a pale ale (I am well aware that APA's are more hop forward, this is over done IMO.) I love PAs, but this one is really just like a light bodied IPA. I've had IPA's that were much less hoppy. Also the body is too light for a PA. Close to watery. Not happy with this one as a APA. Great looks, good nose, but it stops there for me. If they want to re-market it as a IPA and fixed the body, I'd buy it again.

2.94/5  rDev -24.4%

A--Bubbly, cloudy copper color with a thin layer of head in my pint glass

S--Mostly caramel malts, not really smelling much at all in the way of hops

T--Taste follows suit...where are the hops? I know this is just an APA, but I still expect at least a halfway decent hop profile. There is a bit of cat piss, but other than that it is just caramel maltiness.

M--Fine for the style

D--Perhaps the Union Jack IPA I had before this ruined my palate? I just don't get this beer, it is nowhere near above average

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew