Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,535 | Reviews: 1,882
2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

Didn't expect it to be so hoppy...might as well just call it an ipa

2.96/5  rDev -23.9%

12 oz can, poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Nice light copper color with a strong and thick off-white head. Good lacing as it slowly recedes. Quite clear.

Smell: Citrus American hops hit first, but not too strong. Background malitiness with a little spice.

Taste: Unfortunately, the first taste was strongly metallic. Don't know if this is the result of the can or something else. Subsequent tastes not nearly as metallic, but it's still there. Other than that, there's not much complexity here. A minor sweetness up front, some spicy hop flavor in the middle and a moderate hop bitterness in the finish. I don't like that metallic background.

Mouthfeel: Thinnish feel, good carbonation though.

Drinkability: The initial metallic taste does mostly wear off, but that was quite strong for a first taste. Other than that, the drinkability is not bad.

2.97/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured out of a can into a pint glass. Very cool beer art for a beer can.

A. Cloudy amber with some carbonation through the cloudiness.Little head with lace left throughout the whole tasting.
S. Strong malt smell with hops and citrus.
T. Strong carmel malts upfront.The hops come through while the malts are still present.Very aggressive for the style.AS it warms the flavors sour a bit.
M. Sticky and creamy.Thick
D. Tried a second to verify my thoughts.Very aggressive beer for it's style.I would definitely drink this one again.But not my first choice of this style.

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

Amber colored and fiercly bitter, this pale ale drinks like an IPA. The extreme bitterness of the hops was offset slightly by the balance in the body, malty but still crisp. A nice white head that disapated quickly and left little lace. A typical american micro pale ale in my opinon, meaning way overdone with the hop bitterness, which severely limits it's drinkablity for me, although I am not much of a hop head.

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light copper color, small head but lots of lacing. Very clear

Hops are there, but there is a lot of specialty malt showing up that overpowers the hops.

Very, very caramely flavor. There's some biscuit in there as well, but it's more like a slightly hoppy amber in flavor.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated, but very heavy and syrupy for a pale ale.

Way too many specialty malts in this beer for the style, also too high an ABV. That being said, it's very tasty despite BJCP guidelines. I've had this a few times and do enjoy it even though it's a bit heavy and caramely for what you would expect by reading the can.

Too malty for my taste - murky.

One very different kinda brew you either get or you don't, and I don't get this one. Keeping in tradition I drank it out of the can, so I haven't a clue what it looks like or if it has any type of head at all. So I rated that blindly and back tracked from the taste profile and called it even. The taste is really the clincher anyway. To be honest I thought it tasted strange, not bad but weirdly different. Thy say it's a hoppy muther on a beer, but it doesn't taste hoppy in the sense that an IPA is hoppy. Mouth feel is kinda thick and viscous, followed by the strange taste, and the finish lasts forever and not in a good way. It is drinkable and I only had a six, so maybe it grows on you, I don't know. From the other reviews I was expecting more, and to top it off it really isn't all that cheap. Obviously worth a try. but I can buy Hop Devil or Sweetwater for a buck more a six, and that's no contest.

11-6-10- A quick edit. I have to admit my 1st impression was a bit harsh, tried it again and i really enjoyed the 2nd go round. The only difference was where I bought it from which ,may have been a problem, still a little quirky of the taste buds typical from SKA, one you either like or hate. I still drink it out of the can and it's a nice beach or pool brew, but I'd bump up the taste to at least a 4.

12oz. can poured into a nonic.

(A)- Pours a fairly basic yellow color. Some good white froth and lacing.

(S)- Some fairly dense pine-like resin and citrus.

(T)- Similar to the smell mostly. Good citrus notes with bits of pine and a mildly sweet caramel-like maltiness.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Not overly bitter yet with good citrus and malt balance.

(O)- Overall, its nice. It is just forgettable for me in the immense sea that is pale ale, ipa, dipa that are out there.

From a can into a 12 oz. glass

Appearance: Honey orange. No head. Strange bubble formations remain on top sort of looking like a brain. Minute amounts of lace cling to the glass. Nothing special to see here.

Smell: Citric hops. A little skunky which is weird since this is from a can. I suppose this one is short on aroma hops. The off smells are somewhat masked by roasted pale malts. Pretty delicious smelling, reminds me of a a lighter version of the Firestone DBA smell.

Taste: Slightly too strong for a pale ale. Should be called an IPA. Pretty weak in terms of taste stuff. The hops don't sting but they also don't jump out of the glass. The beer has some sweet qualities. Slight grapefruit taste. The main characteristics I got is spiciness from the hop. There isn't much of an aftertaste. The malts tend to dominate. Though they aren't as tasty as they smell. This beer would taste good with some bbq on a sunny day. It is a good beer too through into a session but a little high ABV. Nothing compels me to drink a lot of this.
I enjoy my local California pale ales more. I'd rather buy a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada, which is also cheaper.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium. Gets worse the longer you leave it in the mouth. Not enough character to hold on to.

Drinkability: I can put it down but I'm not super enthusiastic about this beer. I would never turn one down but I probably won't be buying this one again.

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appeared slightly hazy copper & basically kluged like oil out of the can. Lite carbonation can be seen, and produced a 1 finger head with only slightly under par retention. Lacing was minimal & not worth a mention. Smelled of bright citrus fruity aromas, lots of pineapple, grapefruit, grape, and dates. Following is mild spice & pine notes, very bright on the citrus/fruitiness overall and I couldn't really detect much malts.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tasted of semi bright citrus/fruity notes, grapefruit, pineapple, raisin, grape, and following is lots of spicy, pine notes. Good amount of burnt like hop bitterness throughout, and it even lingers as well, as it warms a bit of alcohol becomes pronounced as well as burnt sugary, caramel like flavors. Mouthfeel was oily & thick, a bit chewy and full-medium bodied. Needed more of an active feel to it.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Well guys I got an old one, I mean really old, the date was 08/08/08, and yet despite that, it was still pretty good, I wouldn't mind having 3 pints of this delicious brew, fresh of course. Ive had this once before and I can tell you that it was much brighter, much fresher, oh and you know that carbonation I said it needed? Well it was there when I had it a while ago, I don't remember it being so thick & oily either, still with the grade I'm giving it really says something. I recommend you read other reviews & not just mine though.

NOTE! Will have to come back with a fresher review.

A bit cheap but not bad. Not a lot of bitterness that most IPAs have

Refreshing. Good canned party beer. Nothing amazing.

An excellent example of an APA. One of the better ones I've had.

3.01/5  rDev -22.6%

I was so excited to find a six pack of this at Wegman's in Lakewood, NY 8 29 09 after having Ten Fidy and loving it. Consumed at my brother's house near Chautaqua Institute just down the road. Six pack was priced at just under $10. I tried Old Chub just before trying this one.

A Translucent caramel body under a 2 inch huge head. Both body and head appropriate to the style. 4.0

S Grapefruit bitter hops, moderate, edging on severe. Boring. 3.0

T Typical IPA. Hops, hops, distant malt. Too unbalanced and, well, boring. 3.0

M Smooth (which is appreciated) but the bitter grapefruit hops ruin any benefit that the smoothenss may have brought. 3.5

D One and done for more. This is not my favorite style since I think, as a style, it is unbalanced and, therefore, boring. I never liked grapefruit and I do not like that taste in a beer either. 2.5

Notes: This is by far the hoppiest beer that I have ever seen in a can and if you like hops then you will appreciate this one more than I do.

3.02/5  rDev -22.4%

From the outstanding reviews I was set to be impressed. I guess I just don't get it - the only thing I can say about this beer is that is odd.

Poured from a can into a Troeg's pint glass. Small one finger head leaves minimal lacing - not bad looking, just average.

Smell is average hops and some malty sweetness in the backround.

Taste is where this beer crashes and burns. Leaves an odd and decidedly unpleasant aftertaste that lingers.

Mouthfeel is average and oily - a little dry and bitter on the finish.
Drinkability for me is not an issue. Finishing one of these is more than I can handle.

3.02/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The appearance was an amber/gold with a lot of bubbles with a foamy head when poured. The smell definitely had some hops to it and smelled of citrus with a touch of pine. The taste overall was OK to me it had a very strong hop taste so it was a little overwhelming to me.

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

Appearance: big 1/2 inch head, clear amber with medium carbonation

Smell:hops, grapefruit, pine, and a bit of malt

Taste: hops, grapefruit, pine, and a bit of malt

Mouthfeel: starts with a tad of sweetness, and has a strong hoppy finish--dry with a medium body

Drinkability: To me, this is an average American Pale, nothing more. A little on the hoppy side. Nothing I wouldn't have again, nothing i will go out of my way for.

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

A- brownish with a serious white head and leaves some lacing

S- Some piney citrus hops, not as much hop in the nose as other pale ales I've had

T- Some sweet maltiness up front turning into the hoppy bitterness quite quickly. Nothing real special here.

M- Light bodied and some crispiness from the carbonation coupled with that hoppiness

D- Nothing offensive but nbot much reason to return in my opinion other than the can factor.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

good lookin pale ale. gorgeous head with good lacing. somewhat orange looking to me.

smells very sweet up front. alot more crystal malts than a normal pale ale. hops come in after the sweet malt with pine and citrus. leaning more towards the pine.

too sweet for a pale ale. the hops are trying to balance it out, but this one is leaning towards the sweet malts.

heavy mouthfeel. just doesn't fit the style very well. i could drink this, its just not that great.

good beer, just doesn't fit the style very well.

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

What a surprise out of a can. Probably the most flavorful beer I have had out of a can.

Pours a nice creamy offwhite head with good lacing. Nice copper orange color.

Smells of sweet citrus and some spicy hops.

Tastes a bit off but lots of flavor here. I think the grain flavor up front is what throws it off. A good hop and sweet malt flavor is in this. The hops throw in a lot of bitterness.
The grianey flavor reduce the score of this beer.

This beer seems wet on the mouth. A bit thin. but nice.

What a surprise out of a can. Recommended.

3.04/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

It's a tad too malty for my taste but overall a well done pale ale.

3.05/5  rDev -21.6%

I have some friends that rave about this beer, so I thought I'd finally give it a shot. 6-pack was about $9.50 but the store is on the pricey side (Bud Light 6-pack of cans was $6.00).

Anyway, the beer is way too hoppy for my liking. It should be labeled as "Dale's IPA".

I wouldn't buy it again and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't specifically looking for an IPA.

Cheers,
m

3.06/5  rDev -21.3%

My pour resulted in a finger's worth of thick, deep-tan head with good retention. The nose was lightly hoppy with a definite pine scent. The color was a beautiful deep amber with NE-quality clarity. The mouthfeel was thin-to medium with a tasty hops tang in the mouth. The finish was where the pine taste that I noted on the nose really asserted itself. There was also a gritty feeling in my mouth after the swallow, which I will attribute to the drying quality of the hops. It was not unpleasant, but it was notable. This was the first of their four canned products that I have tried, so I wish to reserve judgment on drinkability for an update once I have tried them all. As a pale ale, it was pretty average.

3.06/5  rDev -21.3%

The Dale's Pale Ale pours amber looking haze with a small head. Not much carbonation which is pretty normal for the style. Not much in the way of nose, even as it warms up. It tastes more like an English Pale Ale than an American. Not much in the way of hoppiness. Mouthfeel is fairly thin and goes down easy. Middle of the road pale for me.

3.08/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a can.

A: Poured aggressively, resulting in a thick two finger head which lingered for a few minutes and eventually dissipated. Has a light copper look, nice carbonation bubbles.

S: lighter aroma, fairly hop-forward with citrus overtones.

T: Matches the aroma; hop-forward, orange-rind flavors with a hint of honey from the malt.

M: Very smooth, oily finish. Goes down easily.

O: Overall, this beer is good but not great. I had it recommended to me several times, so perhaps it was built up too much by the time I got my hands on it. I didn't find it particularly well-balanced. I would probably buy it again but not very often as there are a number of others beers I prefer within this price range.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew