Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,810 | Hads: 6,605
4.03/5  rDev +2%

Orange and red body, somewhat transparent and cloudy. Clumping, sticky off-white mostly creamy head with a few medium bubbles. Really good retention and clumps of lace.
Classic pale ale scent of straw, hops, citrus and abit of pine. Peppered butter and abit of light ryebread.
Grained hop flavor with some malt notes but not alot comes through. Aftertaste is a spiked pine hop rush that lasts well.
Fairly full bodied but does not leave much coating.
Pretty good drinkability.

-Oelergud (488 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

I know, I know the "thing" about this beer is that it's in a can. And I went and had it on draft...

Anyway, it was suprizingly tasty, especially for a pale ale. Nice color, good appearance, very expressive nose. The taste was the selling point - a whole lot of hops going on, but they are well balanced and compliment each other nicely. Extremely drinkable, at least for a hophead such as myself. Can't wait to track it down in cans... (438 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%

I'm not afraid to say it, I prefer bottles to cans. I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of each specifically, but I do know that opening a bottle has a better sound than a can. Once I pour it into a pint glass though, it looks much better. There is a thick white head on a crystal clear amber body. There is a surprising caramel aroma that is actually more powerful than the piney hop aroma. The caramel flavor is very present in the flavor as well. The initial flavor is mostly caramel and biscuity and then the hop bitterness comes in to play. The bitterness isn't accompanied by any real hop flavor though, so the balance seems off and it is really bothering me. Also, according to the BJCP, APA's shouldn't have much caramel flavor. Going with the "Style be dammed" train of thought, I would have to say that the only thing I can hold against this beer is the hop imbalance, but I'm not crazy about it. (915 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

Serving Type- 12oz Can (Haven't put that down in quite a while)

A- As I opened the can I kinda thought that pouring this beer outta a can might ruin the pour, but it did quite well. Nice foamy egg shell colored head that laced the glass nicely. Great crystal clear copper color.

S- Nice rich malts dominate this one right off the bat. I was kind of expecting some big hops, but I was glad that it wasn't a big hop monster. Getting some nice orange and caramel, and just a bit of American hops.

T- Great malty beer! Nice balance! Way better then I could have imagined! Rich caramel, Butternut squash, Orange peel, Grapefruits. Super balance of hops and malts.

M- Rich and creamy, medium carbonation, with a nice viscosity.

D- Now this is where I have a problem. l really like this beer and could see it becoming a regular rotation in my daily beer fridge, but the price isn't so nice. At $8.50 per 6 pack it is a bit pricey so I guess I'll just have to keep on brewing myself till i become as good as this beer is!

Wavz (1,037 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

Ahh, my first canned beer in years, I was a bit nervous how the taste would hold up versus a bottle. I was very happy with the results. First off I did not think the can would pour as well as it did. Beautiful rich orange color, with lots of haze, and visible streams of carbonation coming up from the bottom. Big white, frothy head slowly faded to leave about a half inch that stayed until the end. Big time sticky lace all down the glass. Smell was very crisp, lots of citrus flavors and some hints of grass or fresh leaves. As it warmed some more grain and earthy bread like smells became apparent. The taste was very light, crisp, refreshing. This beer absolutly screamed sessionable at me, could drink this year round anytime of day, was perfect with dinner(ham) and just very enjoyable. Taste was predominantly the hoppy side, grapefruit and pineapple as well as hints at some pine freshness. This was balanced out very nicely with hints at grain and yeast flavors. I actually detected a bit of green apple too which was very nice. Big dry finish with a long lingering bitter aftertaste made this a keep. I was very happy with this brew and will not shy away from the can. I actually think more beer could be in cans, as it seemed to make for a better pour, and shipping and storage were much easier. Overall a winner and looking forward to trying the rest of the line. (1,375 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

a - pours a deep amber/burnt orange, two-finger billowy off-white head, good retention and lacing, fairly clear

s - good balance of orange and peach scented citrusy hops and a biscuity, yeasty maltiness

t - sweet citrusy hops up front with a prominent orange flavor, body is dominated by a biscuity maltiness, finish is a mild bitterness with no alcohol evident

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, pretty dry finish

d - fairly drinkable, easy drinking though the dryness of the finish hits the palate pretty hard

Good APA all around. Well balanced taste that keeps you drinking. Well worth trying. (617 characters)

Photo of

12oz. can

Moderately hazy, dark orange/tan in color. Large, ivory colored, creamy head.

Scent seemed rather subdued. I picked up pine and crackers. Not much else.

Taste turned it up a bit. Peaches & honey, floating in a sea of hops - pine resin. Nice balance, but hops win the day. Biscuity support. Pepper at finish.

Medium bodied. Medium to high carbonation - to me, they could tone it down just a bit. Almost biting. Fairly dry.

Overall, I enjoyed it very much. If the ABV was closer to 5%, this would be a fantastic session beer. As it stands, I will just have to enjoy shorter sessions! A nicely hopped pale ale. (632 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass straight from the can. It had a nice rich amber color with a foamy head of about 2 inches. The aroma was a mix of floral and citrus. The taste was very surprising considering it was from a can. A nice big hoppy flavor that would satisfy the hop heads. I had a couple of these and it’s one I will go back to. I was told by the owner (Frank) of the bar I was visiting (Pitchers Pub) that this would soon be on tap. I’ll be looking forward to it. (479 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Orange amber color with a big frothy white head. Sticky trails of lacing on my glass. Smell of some piney hops and a solid grainy background. The hops gives a burst of taste up front that is quickly covered by the malty grainy taste. Taste finishes dry with some hop bitterness. The hops on the finish is a little on the bitey side and not just that solid piney note that i love. At 6.5% this is too drinkable. The cans make it portable too, making it the perfect swing oil for a round of golf. A nice one that will compete with Sly Fox Pale Ale when I'm looking for a cans. (574 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

The appearance was very good. It poured a clear dark amber. 3/4 inch head of very dense bubbles that stuck around. Each sip left a blanket of lace that pulled back into the head within a few moments.

The smell was simple but good. Piney hop resin and citrus oils.

The taste was surprisingly hoppy for what is labeled as a pale ale. Upfront taste of grapefruit rind and citrus oils. Pine resins as well. This is followed by a slightly sweet malt background with a grainy aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is slick with hop oil . Medium bodied with some slightly biting carbonation.

Very drinkable. Just enough of a hop profile to make it interesting, but not as numbing to the palate as most American IPA's are today. Even though this is supposed to be a pale ale, I'd sooner call it an English IPA. (805 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

Since Oskar Blues beers are relatively new to the DC area, I have been trying them all. Started with the Old Chub, then the Gordon. Now Dale's.

Pours from the can that lovely golden orange amber hue I have come to love in beer. Really creamy, frothy head. Nice retention too. Ah, that aroma. I've smelled that before. Old Chub. What is it that they're using to create that musty, malty, delicious aroma? It's even got a bit of old gym sock in there. So unique. I love this smell; it's really grown on me since the first time I encountered it. The taste is smooth and creamy. Nice balance of hop and malt. A sturdy pale ale, for sure, Dale's has a lot to offer. Firm mouthfeel and pale malty goodness. Not as good overall as the Old Chub, in my opinion, but a quality pale ale. I'm officially a huge fan of Oskar Blues. (822 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a nonic glass from my home draught system been on tap for 5 days.

Cloudy, medium amber with a kind of glowing reddish/orange hue. White 2" thick, rocky, head turning chunky, leaving a thick coating on top of the beer all the way down the glass,with very good retention,leaving collars of lace, a very sticky head.

Good hoppy nose citrus/pine and grapefruit a bit perfumy. Nice honeyed carmellness also nutty. Very inviting

Tastes just like it smells citrus/grapefruit/pine with a honey coated nutty carmell taste. Finishes with a sharp,clean citrusy note. Great tasting beer with excellent balance.

Light,creamy mouthfeel,juicy,tangy,slightly syrupy with some cloyingness.
Very enjoyable beer could drink this one all night. Very IPA like, more hoppier and maltier than a lot of IPA's ive tried.
I you see this beer on tap I would highly recommend giving it a try. (890 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%

Picked up a six pack at the local liquor store - quite surprised and happy that Dale finally found his way to FL - I've been waiting! I heard a lot of positive things about this brew, which may have unfortunately raised my expectations. Seems too light for 6.5% - almost watered down. Also, the carbonation was too little for my liking - after about 5 minutes of pouring into a pint glass, there was no head or lace left. Seems almost flat. I thought maybe it was a bad can, but the entire six pack was this way...I still liked it though, and will probably buy more - but will have to wait until the $10.99/6-pack price comes down a little! (640 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

A beautiful red in color -- almost glowing -- with a foamy, off-white head that doesn't reduce to a thin layer. No sir, this head stays about half and inch thick.

It has a nice, strong citrus smell of hops. The taste is also heavy on the hops and bitterness, without being overpowering. It has just enough malt profile.

The body is hefty enough to keep this beer from seeming watered down.

This is an excellent Pale Ale and another great beer from Oskar Blues. Long live canned beer! (492 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Wow, impressive looking brew when poured out of the can. I didn't expect it to look like this. Pours an amber deep copper color with a big fat foamy head. The smell has some roasted sweetness in it. The taste is bold with a good bitter bite. This beer halfway reminds me of a much better version of a Sam Adams lager. I really enjoyed this brew and will continue to buy it. It just got to Florida, so i'm a happy cat.

edit - quickly becoming my favorite go-to beer. excellent. (479 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%

From the can into my DFH snifter.

Nose is hoppy and well balanced with malt. Tastes like several types of sugar. The common beet sugar, turbinado, brown, rock. Nicely bittered. Pleasant. Nice easy feel. Soft carbonation. One of the best beers in an aluminum can. Great selection if no glass is allowed. (E.g. parks, NASCAR, poolside). (338 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Ohh man goot olde dale's pale.. I recently just had this stuff bout a week ago. My friends store just got all there type of beers shipped in and was draw too the can and 9 dollars a six pack price.

Overall a great beer... I was usualy drinking this out of the can but I got to pour one into a cup, and man was it looking good. Id say it looks bout the same as a dogfishhead 90 min.

The smell was alot smiliar to the dogfish , but didnt burn ur nose with the overall hoppy smell.

Now the taste is were its at, Id say by far probably one of my more favorite pale ale's out there if not the one. Very hoppy and very goot smooth taste.

Drinkability is pretty standerd ,, You just got to think of money first though, so a six pack is always good for the taste.

Had a blast with this stuff , so feel free so pick some up if your feeling goot! (851 characters)

Dale's Pale Ale pours a hazy copper color with a thick off white head from a twelve ounce can. Citrusy hops dominate the aroma. The flavor is also primarily citrusy hops, but there is a nice malt sweetness that balances the hops nicely. I think this would make a nice session beer. Recommended. (294 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Serving Type Sampled: 12 fl. oz. (355ML) brightly colored CAN. No date feature on the can but the 12 pack box was stamped with the date that it was packaged. Can reads “Rocky mountain pale ale” “A huge voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale”

Appearance: Pours burnt amber in color, slight chill haze. Sticky off white head that slides down the glass. Great lace that lasts throughout.

Smell: Sour spent grains, piney hops.

Taste: Grainy, maybe some oatmeal. Heavy floral hops (Centennials.) Slight tannin harshness in the finish. Resiny hop aftertaste. Contrary to what Todd says “Notes of steel/metallic pull-thru” I do not taste anything of the sort.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body. Little carbonation. Slightly creamy with a biting finish.

Drinkability: Good, This is a great beer to pack into the hills or national park due to its packaging. Beware at 6.5 ABV, Ole’ Dale will sneak up one you! (917 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Dale's pale ale has finnaly arrived in my town! I can't wait to see what all the fuss is over this canned beer.

Appearance: Beautiful burnt orange color, poured into a tulip glass with a two finger head that quickly disappeared. Awesome lacings.

Smell: For me, the one downfall. I didn't get much in the nose.

Taste: Can aside, this is one of the better beers I have tried in a while. If I was visiting someone and they gave me a glass of this, I would want to know where to buy it. Then when they told me it came out of a can, I would not believe them.

Mouthfeel: It feels light on the palatte, very smooth.

Drinkability: Would I have another? Yes Please.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by this canned pale ale. (734 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz can purchased from Bauer Wines in Boston. Pours a dark copper with lots of head and lacing. Lovely hoppy aroma. Nice full flavour, and without a doubt the best beer I've ever had from a can. Unfortunately, I won't be able to bring it home ever again, because cans do not fly well. (Had one of its cousins, an Old Chubb, explode in my suitcase. Now it smells like good beer.) (379 characters)

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Ah, the famous Dale's Pale Ale has finally made its way to Florida. Let's see how it is!

Appearance: Opens with less of a carbonation hiss than I expected, actually the empty can feels a bit lighter than usual, too. It pours a pumpkin orange, very clear, nice fluffy white one-finger head. Retention is fair, lacing is good.

Smell: Citrusy hops dominate the aroma, with some ale fruitiness and a malt backbone in the background.

Taste: Lots of hops flavor in every sip, but not overwhelmingly bitter. In addition to citrus, there's a resiny character to the hops flavor. This is a big pale ale loaded with flavor, and at 6.5% abv it's not light on alcohol either.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, carbonation a bit on the light side.

Drinkability: I'm floored, great beer from a can, who'd have thunk it? Apparently, the boys at Oskar Blues. "Beer for a glass, from a can" indeed. (886 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Color is somewhere around dark orange or a light amber. Head is pretty thick at about a quarter inch, light brown in color and bubbles are very large. Lacing is strong on this one.

S - Fairly light scent of sweeter-than-pinier hops and some darker bread-like malt. Pineyness of the hops come in at the sinuses.

T - About 50/50 blend of tastes of hops and malts. Hops are more piney than sweet and the malts come through as a like oatmeal.

M - Consistency is more on the thick side, somewhat chewy. Carbonation is at a moderate level. Hops provide a nice bite.

D - Pretty damn tasty, no-frills, beer. I would drink a lot of this if I could get it in my area. (673 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a orangish amber color with a large creamy white head that has great retention and leaves a lot of lacing around the edges of the glass. Aroma is a very pleasant mixture of malt and hops. The taste much like the smell is very well balanced with a nice mixture of malt and hops. Overall, this is certainly my idea of what an APA should be. It really has a nice hop profile, but I cannot say enough about how well balanced it really is unlike some APAs. The fact that it is in a can is a bonus as it is great for those beach/fishing trips. Highly recommended! (563 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +7.1%

From the can, pours a very dark gold, maybe more of an amber, with a lacey collar for a head. Aromas of metallic hops, grapefruit, and molasses. Inviting. On the palate, brash bitterness first off, with the full citrus load exploding on the tongue. The malts come out toward the middle and end, mainly in the form of nutty sweetness. Big metallic notes from the get-go. Very mouthfilling, very big beer, with tons of bitterness for a pale ale, a lot of carbonation, and just enough sweet malts for a touch of balance (although it's swayed way toward hop bitterness). It's not until the finish that this beer shows any smoothness... but even after that the hops pop up for another go-round, lingering on the palate with spiky citrus notes. This is one helluva a big beer; it's a rash, impolite bastard. But man is it good. (821 characters)

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew