Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,529 | Reviews: 1,879
4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from the 12oz. can into a pint glass. A nice copper color with a good white head, that left nice lacing as it slowly faded. Off to a good start here I'd day.

Aroma is nice and earthy, some piney hops and almost musty (in the damp forest kind of way) malt aromas combine for an interesting complexity. Some nice balance here in the aroma. Taste has some piney hop character upfront which quickly turns bitter for a long harsh finish that won't quit (that's a good thing!). This is all the while backed by an earthy malt character. A bit of alcohol in the finish as well.

This beer has good body, yet is not filling. All in all it's a great drinkable APA. I've been burning out on the style of late but this one is distinct enough to make me glad I bought the sixer.

The can is a big plus IMO. Keep it up guys!

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Here we go with the famed Dale's Pale Ale in a can. Pours a clear gold with a ruby touch. Good sized head that sticks around. Nose is very heavy on the hops with a strong sweetness. Flavor is *really* heavy with the hops. It's almost an overkill to me as it seems to be somewhat imbalanced. Too much in my face, I mean mouth. Just lacks a even flow. It's like the beer is yelling out, "Hey! I'm a micro brew in a can! Woo hoo!" Feel is a little lighter than I'd want. Overall I have to drop the drinkability down because the hops are too harshly over-pronounced and it lacks balance. Sure, they are "pioneers" of sorts by putting a micro in a can, but that is not enough to save the production. It's what's in the can that counts.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

A - Poured a light copper color with a little haze. Got a bout a half inch of head. Retention was great. lacing was good.

S - Hops are the major player in this beer. Comes across as a citrus hop aroma. With a little work I think I found a sweet aroma in the background (could be caramel malt).

T - Citrus hops really stand out but are balanced very well with a lingering bitterness. There is a sweet background that really adds to the experience in a good way. The balance of flavors is really good.

M - This one is medium to full bodied. Carbonation is on target. Finishes really dry, but that makes the beer even better.

D - This one was great (for a beer in a can). Glad I got to try it. If I get the chance...I will buy it again.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

I passed on this when recommended at one less beer-savvy store, simply due to the whole US-canned-beer thought. The next store was filled with beer-savvy experts, and they again highly recommended it-- SOLD.

Immaculate. Just think "grapefruit" and you'll be on the right track and in the right mood for this. In some ways, though, I'd put this in my "specialty" beers category-- a mood-beer.

In retrospect, however, I believe I might prefer the Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale to this beer.

A= colorful glowing orange-yellow-brown, with a massive sudsy head and lots of lacing that stayed until the end.

S= very exciting and complex nose, from the start-- floral bouquets, citrus, slight sweetness, all the other good stuff.

T= it brags on its ultra-hops but they are more of the pleasant-sour floral kind, not the ultra-bitter hops. Zesty grapefruit-taste with mild sweetness of honey, woody pine, slight smoky-ness, pleasant finish and after-belch.

M= lovely with no complaints whatsoever.

D= based upon its "modest for a great beer" 6.5ABV, and if you're in that sort of grapefruity mood, very drinkable in session. It's very drinkable-- but... only if you're in that mood. Think of it as that bench-player who you only call upon at "just the right time."

Reminds me a little of mid-Atlantic region Clipper City (Baltimore) Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, and some of Manny's Pale Ale out of Georgetown (near Seattle), Washington State.

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

12oz can picked up at the Boise Coop for about $1.50.. shared with a friend... my half from a Derlirium tulip.. listening to Sasha Live at the Avalon.

Nice crystal clear burnt orange brew with a suprisingly sticky long lasting head.

Aroma is smack you in the nose hair citrus.. grapefruit ... floral hops.... a nice punch of toasty malts... actually the aroma reminds me of a fresh off the tap PNW IPA.

Flavor definately lends itself more towards the malts... caramel and munich.. but still a boat-load of hop flavors are there with just enough bitterness to balance. Oily hops lend well to the ample viscosity. Very very good all around.

I know it's been said a bunch of times in reviews for this brew.. but once more won't hurt.. Canned beer is the wave of the future. No oxidation.. no light concerns.. I hope there is going to be more of a canning revolution.
As far as Oskar Blues goes, I've had this one quite a few times with the Old Chub and Gordan... even having the Ten Fidy (mega karma Dan) for the first time (from a can) about a week ago, and I say it doesn't matter a bit if it is in a can... this brewing company rocks.

Dale's 12/8/2007

Alrighty then...I gave into peer pressure and tried this one.

Haze had me a little worried. Of course it cleared as the beer warmed. Good color. Nice head. The taste is - Clean. Crisp. Perfect hop/malt balance. Fruity. Earthy. Pretty light feeling beer. Outstanding mouthfeel.

This beer is very good. I'm glad I tried it.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a can to a 12 oz can the liquid is a dark orange with very good carbonation. The head is nice 2 fingers off white foam that leaves some lace.

The smell is good piney hopy aroma.

The taste is even better, A sweet piney taste with a splash of citrus grape fruit and orange. The after taste is bitter yet not stale. Very nice indeed.

The mounthfeel is good nice body for an IPA and good carbonation.

The drinkability is great, and from a can this is really really nice.

Prosit, MK

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

I think this brewery's idea to skew conventional wisdom and serve their beer in cans is novel and necessary. After tasting it I'm not sure why more companies don't do it! This beer pours an amber color with a generous head. The smell is deliciously hoppy with an extra sugar kick. The taste is special as well, and for some reason you can tell it seems to come from a can. It gives it a certain crispness, but in now way cheapens the beer as a whole. The bitterness seems to take over the mouth and suppress any maltyness that would otherwise be apparent.

On-tap 11/29/07 at Doherty’s East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a golden brown color, with a medium foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts with some citrus and hops.

T: The taste starts out with a nice burst of hops bitterness up front, then some sweet flavors of citrus and caramel that come in next along with a hearty malt character that provides a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easy, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, this is a good beer to drink for a long time.

4.06/5  rDev +4.4%

Overall a really well balanced beer. I paid $9 for a six pack so the can thing feels sort of gimmicky. Texture is creamy in a pleasant way, excellent hop flavors, head retention was a little weak. Nothing too fancy going on here but this is a quality drinkable beer. Reminds me a little of Bridgeport's IPA which is definitely a good thing.

4.37/5  rDev +12.3%

From my notes this August:

I finally went for the can. I am ashamed it took me this long. This is aroma and flavor nirvana for hop heads looking for an American Pale or American IPA.

I like my pales and IPA's to have a real balance and respectable backbone, and it never hurts to have that piny almost syrupy resinous smell of wonderful North American hops.

Oskar Blue's strikes gold with Dale's Pale.

Moral of the story, don't fear the can.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Best beer in a can anywhere!

Why don't more brewers use cans? They are selling the hell out of this beer.

Pours a nice golden orange, a little cloudy, usually, but ok.

Wonderful hop aroma with some bready and caramel notes in the back.

A great APA-EPA beer. I think it is a more integrated grain bill like an English but using American hops.

Buy it whenver you can, give it away, don't let them go out of business.

A Backpackers Beer!

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

12 oz can poured into 20oz guinness pint glass.

A- Nice copper hue, with a sight chill haze, thin but enduring head with slight trace of lace

S- Clean, citrus balanced with caramel

T&M- YUM!! Hops and malt in near perfect unison that is not very common in a pale ale. The light carbonation closes the deal, as the brew effortlessly slides across the tongue.

D- Every time I have this brew, I wonder why it's not my everyday beer. Now that I can find it close to the house, it will be. The icing on the cake, it's also a great value.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - High quality American microbrew in a can? I love it. I've always liked the British ales that come in cans...it's just a much better package than a brown bottle. A fat three finger fluffy, dense, and pillowy head rises above a clear copper brew, and leaves tons of sticky lace on the glass. Head retention is outstanding, and this has some of the nicest lace I've ever seen on a pale ale.

S - Wow. Starfruit, passion fruit, mango, sweet canned pineapple rings, some banana, Juicy Fruit gum, and hints of mandarin orange. This is ridiculously fresh, fruity, and sweet in the nose. Smells like tropical fruit salad. I smell a fruitcake and marshmallow malty aroma too. This is very nice!

T - Tropical fruit, kiwi, mango, big flowery hops and some gritty earthy tones. Fresh, fruity, and floral. Seems very British and earthy. Mushrooms, dead flowers, and soggy mud from a river bottom. That all sounds bad, but I like those old world flavors!

M - Soft, lush, fine carbonation creates a very mellow attack on the tongue. Very British and understated. The finish is dry, gritty, dirty, and hoppy.

D - I think that this is a well built and tasty brew, but it may be a bit overrated. I think that good beer in a can is a great idea, and I wonder if this would garner such high reviews if it was just another bottled beer. I like this beer a lot, but the flavors seem a bit too odd to session.

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally tried this one at the Old Bay the other night. Liked it a lot and grabbed a six pack of cans today.

12 ounce can, shaker pint.

A - Fairly murky haze to this orange tinted golen amber color. About a finger of head forms and stays. Nice looking pale.

S - Nice hoppy aroma. Very straightforward. A nice citrusy hop smell. Great APA smell all the way.

T - More hops on the taste. A nice malty flavor as well though. This brew has some balance for an American pale.

M - Fairly full for an APA. Coats the mouth well.

D - Goes down nice and smooth.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

I heard the recipe changes, so let's see what we see:

Pours amber with 4+ fingers of pillowy sand colored head. Insane lacing sticky white all over the top 2" of my pint glass! Head retention is good

S: Citrussy hops & bready malt & leafy hops as this warms

T: Orangey & tangerine hops along with biscuitty malts up front. Piney, leafy & grapefruitty hops along with honey malt sweetness as this warms. Finishes crisp with plenty of grapefruitty hops & honey malt sweetness with a kiss of caramel

MF: Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation & great balance.

Drinks great, the only discernible difference I see is less in your face. back of the throat hoppyness, but that actually works for me. A change for the better IMO for my go to camping beer

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

Picked up a can of this in late July at AJ's for $1.59.

Beer poured an orange color with a beautiful fluffy white head that is leaving a nice lacing in my glass. Nose is of a generous dose of citrusy hops. Taste is very good, the floral hop factor is not too much as it blends in well with the malt presence leading to a crisp and enjoyable finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Drinkability is good. I could get very used to this APA in a regular rotation as this is one of the better ones i have had. I highly recommend this brew to APA fans.

Pours a nice amber from the 12oz can. Nice white head. Smells of pine and citrus. Typical IPA scents.

Tastes of grapefruit and piney hops. Decent malt sweetness to balace it all out.

Medium bodied and easy going down. Very drinkable.

A really great all around IPA. This is one I will seek out again.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

On tap, nice orange color with a smallish white head.
Some citrus hop and a bit of malt in the aroma.
Hops are the first thing you notice in the flavor with a bit of bready malt to balance things out.
Smooth mouthfeel, one of the best things about the beer.
A decent session beer, but nothing to write home about. I could have had a couple of these without any trouble.
Not a bad beer, but there are better pale ales out there. Of the Oskar Blues beers I've tried, this is my least favorite.

2.89/5  rDev -25.7%

12 oz can poured into ergonomic pint glass.

A: Looks nice! Good copper/bronze color, nice thick head.

S: Just caught a nose full of pine. Maybe a bit a fruit in there, but hops/pine smell dominated my pour.

T: I am not a hop-head in general, so I was a bit worried here. Certainly a very bold taste, but just not what I like in a beer. Hops hit hard up front and bitter citrus (grapefruit?) taste lingered long afterwards. Others in my drinking party whose tastes leaned more towards the IPA end of the beer spectrum seemed to enjoy it.

M: Good carbonation, but the persistent astringent finish struck me as unpleasant.

D: Not one I'd look to drink in multiplicity, but I'll attribute that more to my palate than to the beer itself.

A tremendous amount of character from a can. I know it is a respectable APA... it just isn't a style that I like in general. That being said, if these same guys come up with a stout, I'll absolutely give it a try.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

A--Orange/copper with a thin white head that leaves some lacing behind

S--NIce piney, citrus scent. Little malt smell comes through.

T--A wonderful hop bite with enough support from the malt to keep things balanced. None of the much mentioned metallic taste...the advantage of drinking beer from the tap.

M--Refreshing and light with relatively low carbonation...maybe a little think for my liking

D--A lovely, easy to drink hop attack. I really like DPA and hope that those who have it before and was not happy with it give it another chance....hopefully on tap.

4.55/5  rDev +17%

I'm seriously torn on whether to give this a 4.5 or 5 on apperance.

Poured into my GABF pint glass. Head is huge and frothy and will never die. Retention is awesome as well. The beer is amber in color and I can see my fingers through the glass.

The smell of wet and dry hops comes out and rapes the nose with ectasy. Some of the caramel malts in the beer come out as the beer warms.

The beer starts out sweet with caramel malts on the front of the tongue. The beer becomes somewhat bready as it warms. MMM. The hopping of this beer must be done during a boil and dry hopped as I'm picking up characteristics of each. This is one hell of a pale ale. A hop mother for a pale ale.

The mouthfeel is very nice. Could be a slight bit more crisp and full, but very very full and the carbonation is just perfect.

I could drink this forever. If I was on a dessert island with 100 cases of this beer and somehow a refrigerator, I would be ok.

3.45/5  rDev -11.3%

With a pretty hard pour I got a good 2 inch head that slowly sank into a craggy pile of fluff which gave off a sappy hop aroma that was very pleasant. Piney scent is up front with very little malt presence in nose. At first the flavor shows that the nose promised, but where I usually expect a pale ale to either give me more hop flavor or open up for some complexity, the flavor just gives way to a watery finish. Its not bad, just not terribly satisfying. The mouthfeel is good for the style, and its certainly drinkable, but I wish there was a little more to it. I am left waiting for the punch.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

very slightly hazy amber / orange colored brew with a one finger high slightly off white head, super sticky

fragrent, floral hops some sticky sap covered pine needles chillin in there with a buscuity caramel malt profile.

sweet malts well balanced by some floral hops with a bitter bite

creamy brew that still has a crisp slightly dry finish medium bodied with a small amount of carbonation.

a very drinkable beer

Presentation: 12oz can (production code of 7 04 24 B1BA???) in a Shaker pint

BAside: many thank to a fellow Maine BA (and overall great guy) for this opportunity!

Poured a little thick, slow, steady. Wow...great hoppy nose, rich, sticky with grapefruit, pine, dull orange rind and sweet pineapple. With some air the faintest bread quality emerges from the malts. A pencil's worth of tight, creamy, compact ivory foam graced the top, settling slowly to a thin blanketing with a clinging edge ring that laced in long sheets. Perhaps the most impressive color of any APA I've tried - a deep, clouded, unfiltered peach skin hue, both crimson and gold. It has a brilliance to it...very nice.

Damn....this is nice. Blindfolded I'd guess a mild IPA in a heartbeat. Creamy, yet sharp & bitter, a most pleasing compliment to each other. Hops are full of pine & grapefruit bitterness, yet a sticky sweetness also pervaded the initial taste, again providing a great ying & yang aspect. Its very nice to have a beer that uses such polar opposites to create balance.

Semi-dry with a dull, damp, back of the mouth crunch, the overall mouth-feel is thick, full, sticky. For all the peaks it has, its very even and full, for all its angular spikes of tastes its overall very rounded. Growing drier & lighter on the palate, it starts to really level out, growing amazingly even, sweeter, and finishes bittersweet, surprisingly clean, a little filmy & coating with a bitter, gritted aftertaste that is nice.

Damn...without question one of the best APAs I've ever had. I'm actually quite surprised that its even considered as such. It really drinks like a pretty decent IPA. This would be great with a good cheddar, simple fare like burgers, maybe a rubbed steak, zesty fish dishes, etc. And from a CAN to boot!! Highly recommended, would drink again in an instant.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew