2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002)
Ratings: 4,642 | Reviews: 1,692 | Show All Ratings:
Roguer

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Two-finger quickly fading head, creamy and fluffy. Orange and copper translucent brew with slowly rising carbonation. Nice scattered lacing.

Citrus on the pour; strong caramel with weaker citrus and pine from the glass.

Follows the nose: caramel, honey, pine, and citrus, with a bit of a metallic aftertaste, as well as some dry astringency. Tastes exactly how an American Pale Ale should. Just enough hops to put it on the edge of an IPA.

A little dry on the finish, with some hop oil residue. Slightly syrupy with a medium to medium-light body. No sting or foaming.

This is a good brew, and makes for a great every day beer. It's neither as complicated nor satisfying as the more complex APAs or IPAs, but it's very smooth and drinkable.

10-05-2013 19:24:42 | More by Roguer
Infiniteingest

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Generally: I never cared for Dale's PA in the past. I always found it a bit heavy on malt, and stylistically prosaic, but I have been drinking it lately after work as it is on-hand and affordable. I've learned to appreciate it. It's a nice beer with enough complexity to warrant some thought.

The Pour: It compliments my special Dogfish Head IPA glass nicely. Crystal clear mahogany in color, with active and ongoing carbonation. Its marshmallow white head lingers with good latticing. It looks like a beer made by people who love beer--it would be a source of pride for any home-brewer.

Face in the glass: This is frankly the biggest disappointment for me. I get almost nothing out of this can of Dale's, nor can I say I have ever gotten much out of any other can of Dale's--I have yet to drink it on draft. Vague biscuity notes and some crisp citric hops, but I need a flashlight to find them. There's nothing offensive here, but nothing exciting, either.

With Regard to Taste: The malt used to drive me crazy--I found it overdone in the past, and maybe they have modified their mash a bit since--but I have learned to really like the apparent agreement between the sweet, bready malt, and the piney hops. It drinks like an English Pale Ale with a little gas in its tank--6.5% ABV... not my favorite style when "reinterpreted by Yanks"! But it works, people! I'd like to add that, while there's not a ton of evidence of "voluminous hop(ping)", there's enough to satisfy many a hop-head.

Abstract: Within the realm of ubiquitous ales, Dale's PA is worth drinking--by which I mean, paying for over a lot of its kin. The malt tastes, frankly, better than the hops--which I think account for the slightly mealy mouthfeel, and there is balance here. If you're feeling thoughtful about beer, you'll find no treasure here, if you're just "working", this will take care of you... fatty foods will love it.

Epitoma: As good as most omnipresent "craft beers", but there's no lightning in this bottle.

Note: Dale's dreams of fatty pub food--Fish and Chips = HELL YEAH!

Serving type: can/tallboy/"Stovepipe"

10-04-2013 16:30:42 | More by Infiniteingest
Greywulfken

3.84/5  rDev -1.5%

A: clear amber beer, thick head of washed out beige left lace sheeting behind; persistent cap

S: citrusy medley of pale orange rinds and dark grapefruit pith

T: take that dark grapefruit pith and pale orange rind, and apply some dense malty and resinous sweetness and a crisp, drying close, with just a flash of sweet before its gone

M: full-bodied for the style, evenly carbonated; crisp, bittering; wet, then drying

O: not being a big APA drinker, I found this quite good if unexceptional. It was fuller-feeling and maltier than I expected, and I found this to be favorable (for me). Utilitarian.

09-25-2013 22:08:41 | More by Greywulfken
dv8sean

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Ok, maybe cans are ok. Jury is still out, but I'm open to the discussion.

Fondly recalled this beer from years ago when it was handed to me at the finish of a mountain bike race. Naturally, under the circumstances, it tasted real, real good. It's not widely available where I live, so was stoked to find a sixer.

Those good memories seem to be accurate, as this is a very pleasant American Pale Ale. A little maltier than most and not as aromatic, but pours well, tastes far better than average, and has a mighty fine feel on the palate.

Recommended without reservation or hesitation. Despite the packaging.

09-19-2013 03:14:43 | More by dv8sean
Qbdoo

4.16/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought a sixer a week ago and I keep re-rating this in an upward direction. A great balance of hops and malt. In fact, for a APA, this one seems to me to be a bit on the malty side, which is something I didn't expect but is growing on me. In a blind taste test, I'd probably label this an IPA. Compares well to Bell's Two-Hearted and Founders Centennial, two of my all-time favorites.

09-10-2013 00:29:16 | More by Qbdoo
Tone

Missouri

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of hops, pine, sweet malt, hint of alcohol, and a hint of caramel malt. Fits the style of an American Pale Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is also a noticeable bitterness. Tastes of sweet malt, hops, hint of pine, hint of caramel malt, and slight alcohol. Overall, decent aroma and body, a good APA.

09-09-2013 20:15:27 | More by Tone
ISmith87

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Never reviewed this one before but it's a favorite of many of my friends.

A – 4.5 – Pours a clear amber color with a finger of fine white bubbles on top. Decent lacing on the glass. Can is cool blue with red and white logo, I really like all the Oscar Blues cans.

S – 4.5 – Really clean floral, citrusy, piney hop aroma. Some malt in the background and god damn it smells good! Nice caramel malt smell.

T – 4.5 – Clean hop taste – citrus, pine, some citrus zest. Some caramel in the background.

M – 4.5 – Nice light mouth feel with the alcohol completely covered. Bitter aftertaste sticks for a while but it's a nice reminder that you just drank a Dale's.

O – 4.5 – Great beer, definitely one for anyone getting into craft beers to try. It's a great example of what a pale ale should be.

09-06-2013 01:34:40 | More by ISmith87
screamking

3.81/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can poured into pint glass.

Pours pure apricot with a thin off white head. Some nice orange and light lemon on the nose. Some slight bready malts coming in behind the citrus. Very citrusy for a pale ale, smells more like a IPA. Taste is on the lighter side, the citrus is faint but there. The bready malts seem stronger then I was expecting. The mouthfeel is soft and light, very very drinkable. For me, this sits just above the middle of the pack of craft pale ales. I would still take SNPA over this but not by a lot.

09-06-2013 00:28:28 | More by screamking
Premo88

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. can poured into pub glass
(canned on 7/15/13 printed on bottom)

L: amber-orange, clear, nice hea to start with that doesn't last overly long, sticks a bit, doesn't lace

S: hops ... green as mown grass; a slight bit of grain

T: hop salad ... all i taste is bitter hops with an occasional sweetness from the tropical fruit/mango taste

F: solid

O: honestly, about as average as you get with the American hop-salad crowd. i'm sure this brew was all that back in whatever year it came out in, but at 6.5% ABV,it's WAY TOO much for anything other than a couple cans to jack up your palate with all the hops and alcohol. and how does this escape the American IPA label, anyway?

it's just fine if you're looking for a good American IPA. bonus points to Oskar Blues for cooking up one of these that's crystal clear ... i mean, it's glass, man, and that's cool. but in the current craft brew scene here in America, I not only can't say anything about this brew that makes it stand out from the other coney brews, it's simply way too alcoholic for what it's supposed to be. if this is an "American pale ale," then start calling me "Mr. President"

08-27-2013 03:23:47 | More by Premo88
lancecenter

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

12 oz. can bought from the local HEB. Canned on 08/01/2013. Poured in to a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A - Pale copper color, two to three fingers of white head that dissipates quickly.

S - Tropical fruit, bubblegum, and a little bit of citrusy hops.

T/M - Somewhere between a pale ale and an IPA, which therein lies the problem. The alcohol content is a bit high for a session beer. The taste is just not there for a full flavored IPA. I'm having a hard time figuring out when I would choose this...

O - Not really my thing. But I'm a big fan of Ten FIDY, so I decided to give it a go.

08-25-2013 05:17:45 | More by lancecenter
jploving

South Carolina

3.59/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I first had this ole' jewel in 2005...or I think that was the year. It was the guest beer on tap at Breckinridge Brewery in Colorado. My good time friend and I had taken a trip to the GABF....God, that was fun...(sigh...)----but I did not contribute to Beeradvocate at that time...

Oskar Blues recently opened a brewery close to my home...Brevard, NC- and I saw on the can that it was brewed in Brevard....sweet!.
I do like this beer but to be straight up---it has a very average flavor----with the perfect accommodating body.
I have drank at least a half dozen beers with a similar flavor-big earthy, resin, piney with a touch of grapefruit citrus...
Body and mouth feel is great....but taste is pretty average...
If I were to learn that this was the first beer to achieve that flavor, I would give it a better rating for originality....like I say, I like it. But until I learn that fact, I will give it a 3.75...not a bad rating at all-but I expect more for$ 9.00 a 6 pack.

08-22-2013 00:33:37 | More by jploving
Mises85

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I was pretty excited to try this beer being in the top beers for the Better Beer Authority. Lets go over specifics:

Appearance: really nice amber color. Pliny the Elder color if you ask.
Smell: Biscuit Malt, Hops, Pine, one note citrus.
Taste: Alcohol, some citrus, slight grapefruit aftertaste.

For me, it could have been better. It is not a bad beer. The aftertaste was very one note for me. On the BBA scale I would rate it about a 6 but I think there are better beers in this style. I don't know whether this beer is trying to be an IPA or a pale ale. Bear Republic racer 5 is a much better example of the IPA style I think than Dales. If I had to have it again I would but it is not my favorite beer.

08-21-2013 01:32:48 | More by Mises85
rdilauro

Connecticut

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I am a big fan of Oskar Blue beers. I tasted this one from a variety pack. Honestly, there wasnt much of any distinct aroma/bouquet from this.

The taste was clean and crisp, which I always find positive. The mouthful was a little on the thin side as well as the aftertaste.

Nothing to find fault with this ale, just that it wasnt something that stands out with the various beers that I have tasted

08-19-2013 02:37:44 | More by rdilauro
TCMike

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Produced a 2 finger, off-white head. Left nice lacing. Beer color is medium honey/orange.

Aroma is of citrus, pine, bread.

Taste, was similar, but with a light sweetness. A pine bittnerness on the end, but appropriate for the style. Medium carbonation, and a low-medium mouth-feel.

Good APA. I'd buy it again if my other two faves aren't available.

08-12-2013 22:52:22 | More by TCMike
scotorum

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the 19.2 oz. can into a tulip glass.

a: A clear medium amber, inch and a half white head receded slowly, leaving considerably uneven lacing and a very thin surface foam film.

s: Mild pine.

t: Pine hops dominate, but do not linger too long through the finish, which is clean and dry.

m: Light to moderate due to the hops. Otherwise this might be accused of being a tad watery.

o. A fine summer brew. An all pine hop taste, I would personally prefer more malt flavor. Not as impressive as I had hoped given its popularity.

Certainly sessionable for the Charlotte area college crowd it may have originally been intended for. (The top of the can tells us this is "A Huge Voluminously Hopped Mutha of a Mountain Pale Ale." Along the side is "Cans Infinitely recyclable." And across the middle of the back: "Pack it in, pack it out." I rest my case.) And after putting back fifteen ounces and posting the above review, this is tasting REALLY good.

08-12-2013 03:24:29 | More by scotorum
RaulMondesi

3.76/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Kind of like The Deer Hunter, Raul took his sweet ass time to try this one. And like said "classic film," it has its moments, is pretty solid down the line, but Raul ain't tripping. Don't get Raulsky wrong, he'd drink Dale's plenty of times over before he'd spend 3 1/2 hours with Al Pachino and the bunch again; but if said playa (Raul) had other, more fruitful options, he'd probably go with them first.

08-04-2013 21:34:18 | More by RaulMondesi
JohnG190

4.33/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours amber with a thick, off-white head. Good lacing. Aroma of roasted malts and citrus hops. Taste of citrus and pine with nice malt backbone. Almost an IPA. Mouthfeel is on the thin side with effervescent carbonation. Overall, an outstanding sessionable pale.

08-04-2013 02:17:35 | More by JohnG190
cyclonece09

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a tall boy can (19.2 fl oz) into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a nice semi-translucent orange with a nice white fluffy head. Smells of citrus and nice grain body, but the citrus hops dominate. Tastes of citrus hops and some earthy tones, slight alcohol taste, but with a great aftertaste and bite. Beer is a bit heavy carbonated but goes down well for light body. Overall a very good beer.

08-03-2013 22:31:58 | More by cyclonece09
CarlosDanger

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had this one at a golf-course on Long Island after the 9th hole. I'm not sure about their turnover so I suppose it's possible that I got an old can or something, but it was just meh.

I'm certain that it was better than the Corona Light that was also available in the snack-bar, or maybe my palate is a little more refined these days.

I didn't experience any complexity, tasted very dry, almost flat.

Cool can. I would rather support a smaller brewery any day of the week. I would drink this again, but I'd know what I was getting into next time. Maybe if my perspective was different I'd have a different experience. Plus I suck at golf.

08-01-2013 15:11:22 | More by CarlosDanger
DagenhamDavis

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz can into my trusty Genesee mug. Created a very large head that stuck around for a good while. Left heavy lacing as I drank. Appearance was a darker amber color, carbonation seemed virtually nonexistent.

Smell was mild but had a definite hoppiness and no off notes.

Taste was what I expected after smelling, but not what I would have expected overall. It's much more bitter and has a thicker mouthfeel than some APAS, and is certainly closer to an IPA, which is not a style I'm liking much these days. If you're not into IPAS, don't try this beer. Will not buy again.

07-30-2013 18:36:23 | More by DagenhamDavis
Hesperus

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Deep gold in color with a quarter finger of short-lasting head.

Smell: Citrus and floral hope notes with a very small amount of pine.

Taste: Citrus, floral, slightly herbal, with a sweet malt backbone. Grassy notes are present on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing, highly drinkable. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is a highly satisfying and refreshing hoppy pale ale. A great beer for a hot, sunny day. It lacks the range of hop character that you might get out of an IPA or other pale ales, but it does well with what it has.

07-29-2013 17:35:46 | More by Hesperus
jpwilliamson

Colorado

look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Drinking out of the "stovepipe" this is one of my go-to beers that I enjoy with regularity. It's a bit like a homecoming for me, and I enjoy the hoppy inflexion that comes with each swig. This is THE prototypical Colorado Ale...you will not be disappointed unless you hate hops.

07-29-2013 01:18:18 | More by jpwilliamson
ADZA

Australia

3.46/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another brew I've been keen to try and it pours a golden copper hue with a billowing four finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is citrus,pine and candy and to be honest it's quite subdued to what I was expecting,the mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation and has tastes of caramel candy,piney bitter hops,Valencia oranges and finished with a light citrus bitterness and overall it's very sessionable for a pale ale of 6.5% and I'd drink it again cheers.

07-27-2013 12:54:46 | More by ADZA
KYGunner

Kentucky

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Rarely do I see a Pale Ale with such rich coppery color and a billowing fluffy head but Dales Pale Ale presents itself so well. Tons of lacing show the remnants of the once bright white head.

Malty biscuit and toasted bread scents dominate a light piney hop aroma. Not an overpowering aroma but nice enough.

Robust barley grain and malt taste gives way to subtle tea leaves. Kilned grains, toast, biscuit and a nice woodsy taste all come out in a very full bodied ale.

The feel is satisfying, light, moderately carbonated and easy to drink. This is a a fabulous example of the Pale Ale style and well worth the experience.

07-24-2013 22:25:49 | More by KYGunner
Zach_T

4.89/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had in a can recently, they just came to Michigan in March. Dales Pale Ale poured burnished copper gold in color and stood atop a nice standing and lasting foam. a wonderful sharp citrus nose. Assertive malt flavor followed by a perfect balance of hops and a fully attenuated dry finish. Cheers.

07-19-2013 18:33:00 | More by Zach_T