Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,809 | Hads: 6,602
3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Look: Dark amber, clear, with full head (poured from 12 oz can) that quickly settles down.
Smell: Not much going on there Bready, a bit of apricot.
Taste: Very balanced, no surprises, but can't think of a flaw. Happily drink as a go to beer. (241 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

While my score may not be above 4, this is an above ave APA. I am a big Oskar Blues fan...all their beers are solid for each style. This pale ale is awesome on a hot summer day by the pool. Very sessionable with good flavor. If you search, you will find the malts, hops but not too much even on the mild side, and various flavors of citrus, pine and sweet caramel, with a small bite of bitterness...but more easiness going down than bitter. *** I am adding this on. This is now my favorite summer beer in a can to take to the beach, to the community pool, etc. awesome APA to pick up at the local grocery store. *** (615 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a stovepipe 1 Pint 3.2 ounce can into a shaker pint glass, canned on 12-30-14, this may be the freshest beer I ever had not direct from the brewery.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear copper color with 1 finger off-white head that quickly dissipated to a thin broken layer of bubbles, this beer has higher level of carbonation for the style, there was a considerable amount of lacing on the glass.

SMELL: flowers, pine, bread, subtle on the nose.

TASTE: initially sweet caramel then a mild piney hop profile, there was some citrus notes as well.

PALATE: medium body and higher carbonation.

OVERALL: this is a good beer and reasonably priced at $3.99, it's almost an IPA with the hop profile, I prefer SN Pale Ale but this was enjoyable. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys pale ale or IPA. (811 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Pours a clear deep amber producing a billowy 3+ finger, offwhite, lasting head that leaves webs, streaks & rings of clumpy lacing. Aroma is heady sweet caramel malt with floral, pine & citrus hops. Taste is a toasty caramel malt balanced with pine resin & citrus rind & pith hop bitterness, only slight deviation from start to finish but bitterness becomes high octane immediately after the finish & dominates the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, clean, silky & smooth. Drying in the aftertaste. A simple straightforward IPA that is called a pale ale. (585 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

Deep amber colored with excellent clarity. A fingernail of off white head leaves Brussels lacing. Delicate aroma of piney hops takes a backseat in comparison to the toasted nutty accented malt. The flavor is a nice blend of the light to nutty malt flavor and the gentle piney hop note. The body is light,very smooth,and very dry. (332 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Light bright color with nice off white head
S: Citrus and pine.
T: Front is slight sweetness, middle strong pine & grapefruit citrus, bitter, crisp dry spicy finish with lingering sweetness on the tong.
M: medium body, moderate carbonation
O: Pleasant, refreshing, not filling, not amazing but very drinkable. Could be considered a minimalist ipa. Outstanding. My favorite pale. (382 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This was served in a 19 ounce can, believe it or not. I poured it into a pint glass and it made a decent head. It is reasonably hopped, but not as hop heavy as many IPAs (or APAs for that matter). I would buy it again, especially if I can find that extra large can. Update: had it on tap locally and it tasted even better. Bumped it up a little for taste. (355 characters)

All american pale ale. Not much else to say other then if you don't like it at first, give it a second chance. If you still don't like it after that .. Clearly your taste buds can't handle the bitter bomb. (205 characters)

This beer is my woman and I's session beer. First time I had it I wasn't a fan but as I got more and more, I kept coming back. This ain't your average pale ale. It's bong bong. I'll drink this anytime, anywhere. If you haven't got this yet and you like hops you are missing out on life. Oskar blues never let's down with their 3d beers in a can. Buy it, shotgun one, enjoy. (373 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

From a can into an imperial pint
A: Light bright copper, clear, 1 finger creamy off-white head
S: caramel, pale malt, then I'm getting Centennial-like hoppiness, some melon and earthy notes.
T: good stuff. The pale bready malts invite you in, then the hoppy bitterness powers up. Lots to work with here: sure, a little citrus and juiciness, but more earthy and dirty and sharp notes to me, and even a little mintiness on the end.
M: bitter, dry on the finish, but also some alcohol burn.

Overall: I enjoyed this a lot. Tasting blind, there's no way I would know it was a pale instead of an IPA...love those Centennial hops. Some things in common with hoppy ambers, even, including a little rough edge. Glad these guys started distributing to MN last summer! Very nice addition. (788 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

Nearing the end of 2014 and I never had this before, let alone a beer from Oskar Blues...until yesterday at the Cloverleaf. All I knew was that everything I've seen from them has come from a can and this was highly recommended. While not the best APA that I've had, this one packed quite a range of flavors and hid the booze well, making it enjoyable and complex at the same time. It's a feat that not many American Pale Ale's can pull off this easily!

Really nice pour to this, as the dark copper hue had a wondrous haze to it that had a subtle radiance to it when I held it up to the light. The head was solid and the lacing was as well, along the back side of the glass I was given at the bar. Earthy, floral, and sticky, this had tons of wet, juicy citrus in it as well. The aroma was nearly one with the taste and there was a lot going here, as the mouthfeel was cloying, sticky, and skunky all at the same time. By the latter, this reminded me of a beer from Green Flash and hopheads will delight in how much this feels like a West Coast IPA without being a bomb of hops in a can. This tasted fresh and maybe like there was a bit of caramel here, which might explain the stickiness that I felt in the aftertaste.

Not weak, this certainly wasn't strong by any stretch either. The alcohol gave this a bit of warming but didn't detract from the range of flavors that this packed. This was a classic, textbook example of what an American Pale Ale should be while not falling prey to the "arms race" that so many West Coast counterparts of this fall victim to. It's a good thing that this beer is available year-round, as it can be enjoyed and would fit well in any season. Complex, balanced, and true to style, this is an APA that deserves a higher rating than what it has on here. (1,785 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a light orange with a white fizzy head. The smell was really nice with some sweet notes in the beginning and then a lot of pine from the hops coming through in the end. The taste was similar to the scent with sweet malt in the beginning and a crisp finish. A very well balanced beer. (289 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Another go to favorite, I love cans what can I say! Its gotten more consistant & holds up better from NC opposed to CO product in my opinion. Great beer malty w/o being too sticky, perfect hop bitterness to balance. (217 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

I like sucking down a few Dale's ...Great Beer with a NICE alcohol content for a Breskie....Lil' to "Hoppy" (unless they produce a Hoppier one?) for me personally...2-3 of them is enough...I don't think I have ever swilled more than four of them at a sitting...Always an occasional 'Go Too' though...Fer' sure (309 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Served from a can into a clean brew pub glass. Poured nice clear copper color with a very robust head of small tan bubbles

Nice, American hop aroma, not overpowering, but very crisp and clean. It was in my wheelhouse, so it might lean a little to the session side for more serious hopheads.

Taste- was perfect for chasing my burger and fries, nice hop up front, nothing too bitter, very good for brewpub food, which was what I was doing.

Mountfeel was medium to light, perfect carbonation. Score another for the can trend, as i think it is a good way for beer pubs to keep the non-tap servings fresh and cold.

Overall, I always wanted to try this, and I was glad I did. I would not be afraid to keep a six for friends and make it part of my American Pale ALe rotation.
Cheers (788 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pint enjoyed on tap at Beer Revolution in Calgary. Orange-yellow amber with a finger of light beige foam. Incredibly fruity nose, all kinds of things going on including orange, mango, peach, strawberry, kiwi, guava ... All blending together to yield a gummy bear effect. Wonderful hop aroma than can keep up with many full-fledged IPAs. Palate was more classically pale ale, however (assuming one can truly split hairs like this), a smooth caramel backbone with the hops still bold but not aggressive, everything well-integrated to yield a pleasant but mellow grapefruit, floral and tropical fruit melody. Mouthfeel slightly oily and smooth, moderate body and carbonation. Finishes quite dry, almost woody. Bitterness is notable. Great concoction, this, even if the nose does trump the palate by a wide margin. (810 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

I was very excited to give the spirit go, should've realized that my excitement stemmed from the recommendations of my west coast hophead friends! This is a good beer, but not my cup of tea. If I had to choose between this and a Sierra Nevada pale ale, Sierra Nevada! In fact, lately, I am a fan of Chesapeake pale ale from Alewerks! (333 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

Finally got around to trying it after receiving a free shirt from them the other day, I really enjoyed it as an easy drinking beer and I'm encouraged to try more Oscar Blues beers (179 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Fun red/white/blue can. Nice slightly hazy dark yellow pour. Nice thick creamy off-white head. Strong pine/floral aroma greets the nose. Good heavy malt start with the substantial hops coming through about half-way into the sip. Strong citrus dominates the palate until the swallow. Then a crisp, slightly bitter finish. Very quaffable. A strong go to APA with more hops than average. (392 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Stovepipe can poured into an Oskar Blues pint glass

A: Pours deep golden yellow, verging on amber, with a frothy khaki head that laces very nicely.

S: Citrus hops backed with sweet malt.

T: Citrus and floral hops, some orange and grapefruit, well balanced with sweet malt, a little earthy with a little pine on the finish.

M: On the heavier side of medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: Pretty hard to go wrong with this one. Great APA! (443 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a nice copper color with a one and a half finger head. The nose is mostly orange citrus with tropical notes. There's a good presence of caramel malt too. The flavor is nice. Very big malt presence, but it's balanced with strong hops. There is something peppery and a strong taffy flavor. Balance is the name of the game. Nice, thick mouthfeel. I could drink this all day. (380 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

A- Foamy head with sticky lacing
and a cloudy orange color
S- Smell of citrus and piney hops
T- I taste lots of bitterness, citrus and pine hops
F- Medium to full feel with bubbly carbonation
O- I consider this more of an IPA honestly. This brew is all about the hops. I would recommend if you are into big hops. (313 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -1%

I've actually never tried this one before tonight. Here goes:

A: Adequate. Clear orange-amber that pours a nice white head. Leaves a ton of lacing as well. Carbonation very apparent.

S: Mediocre, but not bad Hops are good but somewhat muted. Can detect grapefruit and citrus. Not complicated, but still good. Also has a very adequate malt backbone - nice crystal and lightly-kilned malts.

T: Good. Light grapefruit and citrus followed by caramel malt. Feels nice and light, too.

M: Good carbonation and a mouthfeel of ample thickness.

O; Very solid beer. Surprised that I never had it until now. (616 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Dale's is the biggest seller for Oskar Blues, and as a hoppy APA that most people think of when they think of a craft beer, I see why. It's just a little too hoppy for my taste, but I certainly enjoy one now and then. I'm just not quite as enthused about this one as most people I know though. (295 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Dale's Pale Ale-Oskar Blues Grill & Brew with 6.50% ABV. This brew pours out a nice dark amber color with a nice white head. The smell is rich with hops and grains. You pick up some bitterness in the smell of this brew. So far I like this brew. The taste has a bite to it. There is a lot of hops in this brew. Dale's Pale Ale taste grows on you. After a bit it is smooth and refreshing. Dale's Pale Ale is an Ok drinking brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. There is nothing over powering in this brew. Over all I'm giving this brew a 4 out of 5.
I would get this brew again. (581 characters)

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew