Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,521 | Reviews: 1,875
3.81/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my English pint glass.

A- A cloudy yellow with a very light white head.

S- This beer smells amazing. It is sweet, citrus, and hoppy.

T- A lot like it smells very sweet, citrus, and a couple other hop notes.

M- Very creamy and a lot of carbonation

O- A damn good pale ale. It's very different for a pale ale but it's great.

4.63/5  rDev +19%

In the South, where I live, Dale's Pale Ale stands out as that craft brew from afar that a lot of places carry, and that proves time and again to be a superior brew over the locals and the typical non-local stuff that appears on drink menus here. It is clearly underrated here on Beer Advocate because it gets lost in the crowd of pale ales and IPAs that are out there. But in a place where there isn't so much of a crowd of those brews, Dale's absolutely kicks ass. I first had it on the rec of friends at Motorco and Geer Street Pub in Durham, NC, then had it at again at a Mellow Mushroom in Atlanta, and every time I thought, damn I'm glad the server recommended this. It's really more of an IPA than a PA, and for me that is just fine. It is cloudy, very flavorful and drinkable, and would be high on the list of beers I would offer to newbies wanting to get into hoppy craft beers. This review is based on my Mellow Mushroom order, which was the first Dale's I had drank in a year, and I was stunned by how good it was. A beautifully thick, cloudy brew with a nice balance between assertive, hoppy flavors and drinkability. I think it's a superstar in the craft brew world.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured can into SA perfect pint glass.

A: Agressive pour gave a good 3-finger head of soapy foam that stuck around a while and left patchy lacing all around.

S: Definite citrus hops, mostly grapefruit, with some nice pale malt coming through.

T: First hit of big citrus hops, mostly grapefruit and orange; nice sweet malt comes through as well, and then another blast of floral hops.

M: Medium-bodied and ample carbonation.

D: I can't say "sessionable" considering the ABV, but this is a very drinkable APA. One that I'll want to have in my fridge at any given time, and a beer that I feel could convert some BMC drinkers to quality craft ale...in a can.

Pours a hazy orange color with a large white head. Aroma is hoppy with notes of grapefruit and some grass and a touch of caramel malt sweetness. Taste is big on hops with good caramel malt sweetness that offsets the hop bitterness nicely. Medium body and great drinkability.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

1/4 keg at a friends house.

A: a dark orange. Half-finger off-white head that laces nicely

S: Very piney, bready. Smells a bit sweet too.

T: Very piney and fresh. A little sweet

M: Chewy, a bit bready. Medium body in carbonation

Overall: Pretty good beer. I saw this comes in a can, which is a mild turnoff. But I heard that isn't the case from friends. We'll see if I decide to buy it in stores.

3.89/5  rDev 0%

Great beer! I can drink this stuff all day, or until I pass out......

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%

12 oz can no freshness date provided but consumed on May 26,2007

Pours a rich deep amber ale with a thick head that holds for quite a while. High notes of cascade hopps and a twindge of heavy malts. Pineapple and other fruity flavours come about through my quest of this fine ale. This is a dam fine beer cosumed by the glass or out of the can especially out on the golf course.This beer will fit quite well in my beer Koozie.Props to Oskar Blues for this beer .

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%

Love the can... I thought that I was a beer snob against cans, but I think it is just that I'm against what is usually in those cans. This one is a big golden/amber hoppy, pale ale... not just pale. The aroma is cascade dominated, but the balance in the beer leads you to believe when they say they have 4 hops in this one. A bit heavy on the caramel, which gives a bit of english flavor to this... overall with the presentation, and the philosophy behind why they put it in a can- to give campers/climbers/boaters/hikers an opportunity to carry this thing in, and not leave trash. An honorable mission, and a good beer.

3.23/5  rDev -17%

Another chapter in the ongoing series of CANNED CRAFT BEER. 12oz. can ice cold into a standard shaker pint glass.

A ~ The color of filtered apple juice with a frothy, whipped butter colored 1 finger head.
Good retention with sticky lace that left beautiful rings all the way down the glass.

S ~ Fresh & clean. Floral hops dominate with some light citrus notes. Not too busy or complex.

T ~ Piney, woody hops & citrus oils with a sweet, earthy malt back.
Well balanced with a slightly tart, semi dry finish & a mild, soft bitter aftertaste.

M ~ Cleansing astringent carbonation. Smooth, but a little thin & lighter bodied.

D ~ Given the choice between Ol' Chub & Dale's Pale I'd have to say that Dale's Pales by comparison in a side by side. BUT...still a worthy offering & an enjoyable CANNED BEER!

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

I've drank a good amount of this beer before, 'bout time I review it. Pours a hazy golden blonde-this is one sexy pale ale, one finger head with excellent retention and sticky lacing. Smell is okay, I swear it's smelled better in the past-perhaps this wasn't the freshest can. Still-can smell the centennial and cascade hops, decent malt aroma, slightly sweet-almost like corn, but not in a bad way.

Taste is sticky and sweet-Dale is definitely the younger, paler brother to Gordon. Big fruit punch-grapefruit, but not to bitter or pithy to be still considered a pale ale (definitely a mid-point between APA and IPA) with a sweet malt flavor. Mouthfeel is sticky and medium bodied with a moderate carbonation, a pleasant lingering bitterness balances the malt sweetness.

Heck yeah, drink this beer. Certainly a favorite for frisbee golfers and great for other outdoor activities where cans are preferred to bottles. Easy drinking.

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A - Clear, copper color with a nice 2 finger tan head. Decent retention, plenty of lacing.

S - Citrus, hops, good bready-malt Like the nose.

T - Nice malt bill up front then a nice touch of hops on the back end. Hops are a good mix of pine and citrus. Earthy!

M - Really like the feel. Its ultra smooth, a little heavier than I was anticipating. I'd call it medium-bodied. Damn drinkable!

O - Well, I must say its been a long time since I poured from a can! This is just a very solid beer and would be a great one for outdoor trips or tailgates. Really really am enjoying it!

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12oz can, I must admit I have put off trying this brew- as the can looked too cheap to justify the price. But at some friends requests I gave it a try. It had a "canned on" stamp on the bottom, and even the actual time stamped, which I had never seen before.

APP: Poured well, with a nice thick head that stayed a while. A rich slightly cloudy amber color. A really nice lace that gathers and stays long on the glass. Good sign!

Smell: distinctive smell of hops, but with some citrus in there, perhaps orange? And even a hint of grapefruit? But those are afterthoughts to the malt and caramel that calm the hops.

Taste: Not as hoppy strong as the smell might indicate. Not like a bomber bottle of Hercules for example. Smoother. Lighter. But then again this is only a Pale Ale, not an IPA. Stays on the tongue a bit. I like that. Sort of like I'm drinking more than I am. More than 12 oz in the can- that sort of thing. There's caramel, but for me it helps to balance it all out.

Mouthfeel: A complete goodness- IF you enjoy it. As another wrote in these reviews, "you can almost chew on it". Again, that to me is why it seems that you get more from the can than just the 12 oz. It hangs there, in your mouth.

Drinkability: As for pure drinking I could enjoy it for an evening, but the price makes it exotic for a session beer. Up there with Stone Brewery or ABT 12, other acclaimed beers- but not the same beer- but still good!

Notes: It seems Dale's has kept this creation in a can to make it unique, and that it is. In fact it might be "the king of cans". But still, it might lie in that no man's land where it's an above average beer- but not quite good enough to justify the price. Two dollars cheaper a 6-pack I might make an evening of it.

2.32/5  rDev -40.4%

On tap into a pint glass.

A- Looks decent; dark amber with a thin white head. Little lacing.

S- Smells of floral hops and a touch of what I like to call 'macro stank'. (not skunk, stank. This is probably from malt, or rice. It can be found on the tongue, too)

T- The hop flavor is pretty nice... but I feel like the rest of the brew is lacking. There is something horrible about it... just poor ingredients other than the hops I suppose. Although, if you need your hop fix, this will do the trick.

M- Medium to light body, medium carbonation. Leaves the mouth a bit dry.

D- About 1/4 way into this beer... I honestly did not want to finish it. Hard to explain, but it just wasn't for me.

I don't get the hype of this one. Are they inconsistent with their batches? Is it better from the can? I may never know... but I do know that it was brutal.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Can to pint glass.

A: Nice, hazy orange body with a 1 finger, creamy off white head. Quick dissipation leaving behind nice lacing. Body is brilliant, but not quite clear.

S: Hoppy pale ale! Smooth malts in background with a sharp, piney hop flavor. Very nice aroma, very strong.

T: Hoppy, smooth, sharp and citrusy PA. Creamy, biscuity and nice malts balance the "voluminously hopped" pale ale.

M: Nice carbonation, nice finish, clean and not too bitter.

D: The fact that this comes from a can is fantastic - no reason it shouldn't, but your brain tells you otherwise. Good tasting, hoppy, flavorful and easy to drink at 6.7%. This is a great beer.

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz can poured into a tulip glass.

A: Hazy light orange with a 1 finger off white head. Decent lacing all the way down.

S: Citrus and sweet malts jump right up. There is also a tangerine hint as the beer warms up in the glass...very nice.

T: Lightly sugar sprinkled grapefruit with a nice malty sweetness to round things up.

M: Clean and fruity in the mid palate.

D: Sessionable beer for sure. Love the hop and malt balance on this beer!

This is one of my daily dinner beers.

Salud!

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours an orange-ish copper color, from a can, with a fluffy white head, decent lacing...darker than what I was anticipating from a "pale ale," but not complaining by any means.

S: Citrus and piney hops up front, with some caramel malts and biscuit to round it out. Very nice.

T: Similar to the nose...resinous, citrusy hops with a nice malty backbone that balances nicely. Tasty brew, that's all I can really say.

M: Slick, with a bitterness that coats the palate and begs for another taste. Medium bodied and not overly carbonated.

O: Wether you want to call it a traditional "pale ale" or an "IPA" aside, this is just a damn good brew...nothing else really needs to be said. I would highly recommend it if you haven't tried it, and will definitely be revisiting it very soon. Cheers!

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz can into a Spiegelau tulip. Pours a very nice light caramel with good clarity and a finger of off white head. Decent lacing.

A nice bready, caramel and almost a hint of coffee. A faint green, grassy hop finish. The beer smells pretty fresh.

The taste follows the nose. Nice thick biscuit flavors up front. A punchy lemony hop kick midway through and a finish that sticks around and tingles your tongue like a hoppy pale ale should (at least in my book) with a lingering finish of slightly burnt caramel.

Drinkablility is very good. A nice round drink with a light to medium body drink. The carbonation is sufficient, as it, with the hop flavors add a nice kick.

Overall a very solid pale ale. Strong enough hops to keep a hophead like me content but not overly so where you're questioning whether or not it should be classified an IPA.

4.55/5  rDev +17%

I don't know why...maybe it's because it's from a can, or maybe because I just don't expect a tasty IPA to be IN the can, I just love this beer.

I often think that if I had to drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it. Aside from the packaging, this beer has it all.

It's light, but has great acute hop flavor, but goes down smooth and easy.

I don't really know what it looks like, because I really enjoy drinking it in the can, so I can't really comment on it in that regard.

As for the flavor, it's just smooth and tasty. Good balance between the malt and the hop. Reminds me of a more mellow Sierra Nevada.

I highly recomend this beer.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Bought a six pack of cans. I've seen this beer for a long time and shrugged it off because it was in a can, but I've waited far too long to try this wonder.

Cracking open the can, you get the instant aroma of hops. Into a pint glass. pours a beautiful orange with a decent amount of carbonation rising, and leaves about an inch and a half of thick, creamy head. The pour allows the hops to breathe and at the same time gives off a wonderful piney aroma mixed with citrus.

First taste is a creamy pine flavor from the hops, mixed with a grapefruit/mixed citrus bag. It sticks to the roof of your mouth, almost chewy, pleasantly surprising coming from a can. Grab a sixer and head to the game and do some tailgating.

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a cloudy orange with a thin but foamy white head that leaves fingers of lacing on the glass. The smell is sweet, citrusy hops and is quite pleasant. The taste has a slight sweetness up front, followed by a citrus hop tinge and then finishing cleanly bitter. This is very hoppy for an APA, but pleasantly so. Texture is slightly creamy and lacking carbonation compared with others of the style -- this may come from canning? Overall a very solid Pale Ale that is a mainstay in my rotation.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Perfect in terms of balanced flavor and mouth feel.

Carbonation isn't too intense, say, like Duvel. Just enough to be clean and refreshing.

Taste is clean with sweet carmel malts and bread crust, a little citrus, but not to piney.

Clean aftertaste, and leaves me wanting more and more.

Underrated beer.

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

After a whole 12pk i will finally make note of this one

a- most of them were very low in carbonation and this one is has tons of tiny bubbles(favorite glass always does the trick) a sandy smooth head comes up two fingers and then doesnt give up for a good long while but with light lacing from the eggshell foam.
the beer is honey copper

the smell is floating around in a light spicy pine forest with dark biscuit that support all the fresh pine

t- follows smell with sweet and spiced pines supported by a light malt backbone.

palate is a solid medium body that has a smooth carbonation with a little bit of an oily touch before a clean finish.

d- all night all day easy drinker with a good taste

The best beer I think I've ever had. A dark golden color with an ambitious head for a pale ale, it carries a prominent c-hop aroma. The taste delivers that hoppy flavor, but it is followed immediately with a sweet finish that perfectly balances it. Delicious.

3.45/5  rDev -11.3%

I bought a six pack of these to throw into the soda can dispenser of my kegerator fridge.

Hazy amber with small white head. The carbonation level is low, hardly even a pooft when I popped the can. It smells strongly of piney and citrusy hops and grapefruit. The taste is strongly piney. It's very aggressively hopped, to the point that this is really more of an IPA than APA. It's even more hoppy than some IPAs. The malt flavor shows through a bit as it warms up. Enjoyable, and kudos to Oskar Blues for the canning.

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%

Ap: Golden-Orange amber color. Plenty of head. Minimal lacing. Beautiful appearance.

Ar: Orange and floral notes. Nothing super impressive but not distracting.

Ta: This beer is delicious. Plenty of earthy and piney hops, a touch of honey with a nice bitterness that would confuse many into thinking it is an IPA.

Mf: Thick and rich while being creamy. Very engaging.

Ov: Honestly, how is this not an IPA? This beer is full of flavor, character and body. The bitter hops will delight and you will drink any and all I place in front of you. Enjoy each one as it is poured. Cheers!

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew