Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,816 | Hads: 6,622
4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

had this on tap at the 45th Street Tap House in Ocean City, MD. my favorite on-tap beer. if you like IPAs, APAs, or even pale ales, please try this

color is amber to deep amber

head is very good, stacks up and laces down

smell is mostly hops, piney and citrus, but balances at the end of a long draw

taste is a hops assault. hammers you. leans towards the citrus side, but also pine and resin hints

texture is nice, it's carbonated very well and feels full in your mouth

overall, if you are are hop head, this is for you. try it! (535 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +7.1%

This is the first time I've tried Dale's, and I like it. I haven't tried a better canned beer, and I've tried many bottled beers that are far less accomplished.

This is one great-looking pale ale - if you've got a glass, pour this one because it's a looker. Ample and persistent white head laces the glass nicely, perched atop an enticing hazy orange-tinged gold brew with plenty of bubbles scudding up the side.

Nose is dominated by ample citrus hopiness backed up by sweet malt, although at first sniff I smelled something odd that I couldn't place. Nevermind, though, because I didn't notice whatever-it-was again, and found the pungent hop aroma intoxicating. I think it would be nice to soak all of my clothes in this so that I could smell it all day, every day.

Taste is intensely hoppy, no surprise here. Hops lean a bit more towards the citrus than the pine. Greater-than-expected malt sweetness put me off a little at first, but I soon appreciated the balance it imparts on this extra-hoppy brew. Mouthfeel is just a little sticky and serves this brew well, drinkability is let down only slightly by the high-for-a-pale-ale 6.5% abv.

Overall I'd say that for camping or other outdoor activities there's no contest - this is number one. Its a frontrunner in other contexts too. My only hang-up is that the grocery store wanted 10$ for a sixer. Knock off two or three bucks, and this might just be my pale ale of choice (I'd have to reserve judgement on that until I try this back to back with Stone Pale). (1,517 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +17.5%

A pour from a 12-ounce can produces a nice, smooth copper color with a thin quarter inch layer of head. The smell is striking; lots of floral hops and graininess. As is well established by now, no hint of metallic smell/taste. I used to be skeptical towards this but over time basically believed that canned beer was no different than bottled beer, mostly due to several quality breweries turning to cans. However, this was my first experience with a canned beer, and I can verify that there is no difference in taste in a canned beer. I've had Dale's Pale Ale before on tap and the taste from the can is comparable, factoring in the usual differences between draught and bottle/can.

Dale's Pale Ale is a very hoppy pale ale, but I think the hops are more integrated into the beer than SNPA. There is a malty sweetness and aftertaste as the beer finishes pretty dry. This is my favorite APA that I've tried to date. At 6.5%, the ABV is a little high for a session beer, but I could easily drink a bunch of these. Mine was gone in fifteen minutes and I'm regretting that I didn't get any more (only picked up one in a mix-six pack).

Highly, highly recommended. (1,162 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Rich gold body with a fingers worth of white head.

S- Grapefruit and pine are dominant smells here.

T - Biscuit malts start off, quickly followed by citrus hops, more of a grapefruit has the nose suggests. Has an almost buttery taste to it, then finishes with piney hops.

M - Pretty good, carbonation was moderate and felt relatively light given it's abv.

O - A good pale ale, not the best one out there but it gets the job done and compares pretty well to most. (471 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Pours a burnt orange color or a dark honey yellow. Some of the hops are evident in the head as the bubbles appear, but it does not appear to be overly carbonated. Its cloudy in its appearance.

S: Smell of some toasted malts are apparent, as well as some alcohol on the first sniff. Smells a bit hoppy for a normal ale.

T: Very hoppy on the first sip, reminds me in the likes of a sam adams. A bitter taste of front and a smooth finish.

M: Medium Body and hoppy as it tasted before. *EDIT* changed to 4 from 3.5 after second brew.

O: Its a good brew, and its not too pricey. But for the price that its at, I think I might go for a sam adams instead.

*EDIT* Having another one of these tonight straight from the can. Something about the can helps this beer out. Maybe its the suprise factor, or its still familiar. I like it better from the can rather than the pouring, but still agree with the rest. (907 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from can into pint glass.

Dark orange/brown. Decent carbonation. 1-inch, quickly dissipating head, but lacing strong on glass.

Rich hop smell, spice and floral.

Strong floral hop, spice, and perhaps some honey and orange? Strong hop presence, but balanced well with malts. Only a hint at the slightly higher ABV. Nice bitter hops stay for the aftertaste.

Mildly sticky. Medium-strong body. Somewhat sessionable.

I've had this many times before. Great beer. (468 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Big fan of the Pale Ale style; in the case of Dale's it seems more biased towards the English Pale Ale Style (i.e. more malt than hops).

Pours a great head (that's what she said) with approximately one inch of foam. Has a subtle sweetness that permeates the English / malt style ale. Very satisfying although not very sessionable or crushable, which is usually not a characteristic of a Pale Ale.

Solid brew that is worth keeping in the fridge... though perhaps not as hype-worthy as those from CO think. (507 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

No freshness date. Can I sampled was several months old at least. Pours a nice one finger creamy whitehead. Slowly shrinks leaving lacing. Color is slightly cloudy orange/copper.

Smell is all citrus and floral hops. Taste is nearly all hops (although restrained), with a hint of sweet malt peaking through. Slightly astringency at the very end. Leaves a good combination of sweet matched with bitterness behind.

Easy to drink. Perhaps a touch too much carbonation to begin with, but well within the normal range of a pale ale. Medium body. It feels almost creamy initially. Very nice. (590 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

WOW! i never thought i'd have a beer this good in a can! and i love the "pack it in, pack it out" with the recyling logo on the back, it almost makes me feel like i'm doing something good for the plant.

A: pours a lightly cloudy, brownish yellow
S: carmel tone and malty sweetness (not heavy at all) with hoppy bitter on the back end
T: light malt sweetness at first with nice flourish of hops and ending with a good citrus combo at the end
M: good fizz not too thick
D: i could see myself kicking back around the campfire with this one (537 characters)

Poured from the 12 oz can into a pint glass. Cloudy amber beer beneath two fingers of foam. Smells like hops and grain. Tastes almost like an IPA. More than enough hops to be interesting. Surprisingly good mouthfeel and finish. I've never had this ale before but I will recomend it to my curious friends. (304 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Golden with a thick spongy two finger head, Good retention and superb lacing throughout.

Smell: Grapefruit, pine, pineapple, bright fruits

Taste: Grapefruit, bright fruits, very good hop flavor not overpowering not underwhelming.

Mouthfeel: A sharp bitterness up front and as that is leaving you there is a tart dryness on the back end. Just enough carbonation to help it go down easy.

Drinkability: For a hop lover easy drinking, enjoyable. Back to back pounding is encouraged. Understandably not everyone wants to drink a 12rack of hoppy beer. Something I plan on having at my house often for Steelers games or a night cap. If hops aint your thing then look elsewhere for a daily drinker. (706 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +16.5%

This beer is light and crisp but still hoppy. Hoppy but not too bitter. This beer has been around for what seems like forever now but it's stood the test of time. Oskar Blues is the original canned craft beer. At first it seemed like that they were just a novelty beer. "Beer that doesn't suck in a can!", but it really is a great drink. Now everyone is trying to mimic their canning, most notably 21st Amendment. (413 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%

Just poured into a Weizenbier glass. The head on this pour has a really nice appearance and presentation. The dual color pour, with a light amber fighting off the white head trying to form. Head retention is very good and masculine. Good strength in head, wont go away, really well done there. Sticky lacing and a very good hop scent that very specific to this beer. I can see why this beer lives up to the life style it was produced for. Taste, for a lack of superlatives very excellent. Nose to glass, i get an abundance of sweet hop and bitterness following. These will be with me on camping trips and mountain biking trails. 6.5% occurring here makes a difference from the standard 5.3%. Buzz comes comes on a lot faster. Drinkable, portable, and outstanding.

Great beer! (777 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I was completely taken by surprise by this beer at the Empire Brew Fest during a recent visit to Syracuse. I'd never even heard of it before and it didn't look like much to get excited about, cos canned beer's crap right?...but a lot of people were soaking it up and since my mission was to sample as many different beers as I could, I thought "what the hell". Imagine my surprise when I found that it was the best beer I'd tried all night - and most of what I'd had previously was top rate. It tastes more like an IPA than a APA to me, but who cares...This is one fantastic beer and sadly I have now depleted my stock of it that I brought back to Florida. Yet another reason to move back North. (695 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Drank on: 3/4/10
6.5% ABV
12 oz can in a tulip glass

A= Pretty 1/4" head which was slightly off-white. Opaque golden amber beer. Head receeded slowly leaving a nice whispy lace and a thin layer of bubbles on top.

S= Fantastic hop aroma! Notes of piney citrus (grapefruit) and hints of resiny hops.

T= Light notes of malt come throught. Great delicious citrus hop flavor accompanied by notes of pine. Has a very nice hop bitterness from the middle through the finish. Flavors very similar to the aroma.

MF= Wonderful body which isn't to light. Leaves nice light coating on tongue and has a great lasting bitterness, which is just right.

D= Highly drinkable. Goes down smooth and each sip you take brings you back for another.

Overall, this is definitely my favorite beer in a can. At least so far. (802 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Really smooth for the ABV and for being a pale ale. Nice head when poured can to glass. Taste resides in the front of the mouth, moving to middle and upper palate on swallow. Aftertaste minimal, little lingering. Head seems to diminish quickly. Clean taste. Sessionable. Would buy again. Pairs well with a tobacco vape blend like Axiom's Honeysuckle Tobacco. (358 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -26.8%

12 oz can poured into ergonomic pint glass.

A: Looks nice! Good copper/bronze color, nice thick head.

S: Just caught a nose full of pine. Maybe a bit a fruit in there, but hops/pine smell dominated my pour.

T: I am not a hop-head in general, so I was a bit worried here. Certainly a very bold taste, but just not what I like in a beer. Hops hit hard up front and bitter citrus (grapefruit?) taste lingered long afterwards. Others in my drinking party whose tastes leaned more towards the IPA end of the beer spectrum seemed to enjoy it.

M: Good carbonation, but the persistent astringent finish struck me as unpleasant.

D: Not one I'd look to drink in multiplicity, but I'll attribute that more to my palate than to the beer itself.

A tremendous amount of character from a can. I know it is a respectable APA... it just isn't a style that I like in general. That being said, if these same guys come up with a stout, I'll absolutely give it a try. (952 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Dale's Pale Ale is a great brew and a perfect pairing to the can it's packaged in.
If Guinness had a hoppy American brother that was equally sophisticated but more utilitarian, it would be this one.
The beer pours to a deep amber and the head is like a cloud of creamy milkshakes. Mouthfeel is awesome. On first taste this beer is not near what it becomes after a little time in the glass.
This may be a new favorite. Let's just say Sierra Nevada should pay close attention to DPA. (486 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

After four years and over a hundred beer tried, we expanded the man cave to add a two tap system. Dales was picked . Poured deep yellow, with small head. Fair lacing floral and pine notes, with a citrus finish. Full flavored pale ale.

Bought in a sixtel served at 38 degrees received a 11 out of 20 in our beer club. I gave it a 14 myself. (341 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

This is the best beer I've ever had out of a can.

Granted, not a lot of micros in cans in my neck of the woods (and I have a Surly Bender in the 'fridge that may soon kick Dale from top spot). But! many thanks to MeisterBurger in my virgin trade for this one.

Terrible packaging - looks like an adjunct lager at first glance. Never would have given it a second thought. But guess what? It's a very hoppy pale ale that verges on IPA territory. Darkish orange amber in the glass, good head with some lacing and retention. Strong citrus hops flavour with some floral notes and a nice bitter finish, all balanced by solid toffee malts. Reminds me of Lagunitas New Dogtown but slightly less citrusy. Active, oily mouthfeel, very refreshing and flavourful. I could drink a lot of these -- too bad they're not available in Alberta. Just what the doctor ordered! (856 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Light orange gold pour with a decent frothy off-white head. 2 fingers worth billows up atop the glass. Fades quickly. Light lace strands, but all around the glass.

Nose is light burnt caramel malt with a slight off-color metallic twang. Not from the can, mind you, just a tweak that comes from the malt. Grassy herbal hops come in underneath the malt, but play second fiddle.

Taste has that burnt caramel, but a significant orange presence with a touch of mango sweetness buried deep underneath. Nice malt balance against the hops with a good bitter twinge in the finish.

Feel is pretty darn nice. Maybe a touch heavy for the flavors, but not off by much. Crisp and clean.

Was waiting to taste this fresh from the new facility. I'm not disappointed. (755 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Light amber color, clear with minimal head. Very nice hoppy aroma, some malt in the nose as well. This brew has a very balanced flavor profile but it has a generous amount of hop bitterness and some nice piney notes as it warms. Mouthfeel is spot on, this beer is refreshing but its just thick enough to keep you drinking it. Overall this was a very tasty pale ale that was hard to put down. I finished it pretty quick and I think I will crack another. (452 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in pint glass
Yellow gold look with some light cream lacing
Pine floral like aroma
Taste more on the IPA range but excellent nonetheless. I really like the smooth taste and feel of this beer and will buy again. At 6.5 ABV and over 200 cals. will not be drinking and pounding but great for a shorter nite of drinking. (323 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -17.5%

First canned beer I've had in ages... wouldn't have bought it, but the owner of the Vintage Cellar (Radford, VA, store) told me that as a hop-head, he highly recommended this brew. Turns out it's canned because aluminum is better than glass for hiking (for obvious reasons). Those wacky Coloradoans.

Backstory aside, this beer is only so-so in my book. Definitely a strong hop flavor from front to back, but that's about all I taste aside from a vague sugariness. Not what I'd called a "balanced" beer, but the hops aren't overwhelming. The brownish-amber color is gorgeous, although the off-white head didn't last very long. I guess it's the hop varietal, but even if you hadn't told me where this beer was brewed, I would have said west of the Mississippi.

Basically, if I were going camping, I'd bring this along by the six pack, but I probably wouldn't buy it any other time. Might be a good beer to take along to a party where lots of swill will be consumed (assuming you don't want to stand out too much). Maybe I will buy some to take to the family fourth of July this weekend... nah, they already know I'm a snob =) (1,129 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Alright I am not gonna lie I was a bit skeptical going in a craft beer from a can?!?!?! But it is damn good.

Alright appearance to me was not all that impressive. It is a bit darker then most pale ales i have drank with a coppery color to it. It also has a decent head and some decent lacing but nothing spectacular.

The smell is great. If I had this beer a year ago I would have hated it because of hoppy it smells it smells like an IPA to me. Its amazing to see how my palate and nose has changed over the last year. The smell is extremly hoppy to me and to me the hop presence is soo overpowering its all i really get out of the smell of this beer.

Now the taste of this beer is great after getting such a huge hop presence out of the nose I was expecting a major hopbomb is the taste but boy was I wrong. The taste of this beer is amazing a great citrus hop tasted backed up by an amazing malt presence that really balances this beer out.

This beer has a great monthfeel to it and with good carbonation.

I usally don't find really hoppy beers all the drinkable but this is thanks to the amazing malt presence that makes it such a great pale ale. (1,154 characters)

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew