2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,643 | Reviews: 1,692 | Show All Ratings:
hobbes2150

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

When I poured this beer into a glass I was surprised; not used to seeing a beer with such good color come from a can. Great nose, with apparent maltiness and a teasing hop aroma that gives you a sense of good things to come. The taste is a bit milder than the nose would suggest, but still a great malt foundation with a hoppy back to it. I wish more canned beer was this good.

08-15-2006 20:06:07 | More by hobbes2150
tdt560

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance - Poured from can into a pint glass, golden colored with a good two fingered head which lasted. Nice lacing on the glass.

Smell - Slight balanced odor of citrus, hops and flowers.

Taste - Crisp well balanced taste with a slightly sharp "bite" at the end. I truly enjoy this pale ale.

Mouthfull - Medium body with good carbonation with a dry finish.

Drinkability - Very, very drinkable this is and will be a regular resident in my fridge. Highly sessionable. If you enjoy pale ale's or even IPA's I would highly recommend this brew for a try. Can't believe this comes from a can!

06-26-2008 22:58:46 | More by tdt560
seanh99

4.33/5  rDev +11%

I am on vacation and my wife and friends were looking at me popping open a can of beer dumbfounded. Baaa drinl your wine and leave me alone!

A- Upon opening I thought it was a bit flat then it started coming out the top like a nitro can.
Poured a deep copper with a full tan head. good head retention and nice lacing of the glass.

S- Hoppy plus malt, a bit sweet and I am a bit stuffy today so thats all...

T- MMM Mmmmm! It was not really cold and it was good. I liked the maltiness in the background in addition to the hoppiness that is what is expected with this

M- Carbonation was less than expected with the head, really smoothe and almost creamy.

D- A bit higher than anticipated, I am already thru 2 and it is not even 4:30 in the afternoonI may have found a new go to for the fall.

11-16-2008 21:24:33 | More by seanh99
dirtbikejunkie

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

Maybe it's the can, but OA this is a "fun" beer. It's definitely one of my new favorites to grab a 6-pack and drinks really well.

A: Bright, golden amber with 1 inch head and great lacing. I just happened to have a can shaped glass which was all too fitting for this beer.

S: Unique smell with blend of pine, hops and herbal.

T: Mild bitterness with great amounts of floral tastes.

M: pleasantly dense for a PA but still finishes fairly clean

D: It does not drink like a 6.5% ABV beer. I drank a few while working in the yard and found it very refreshing.

03-06-2010 09:34:37 | More by dirtbikejunkie
MakeMineAPBR

Wisconsin

This is a great American-style Pale Ale that I go back to time and time again. Oskar Blues Brewing Co. typically packages their beer in cans. Dale's pours a deep copper color with a white head (about 1 inch) that sticks around and produces tons of beautiful lacing on the glass.

The nose is sweet and mouthwatering, with pine and citrus being the dominant flavors. It's a perfect example of an APA in that it packs a pretty mean hop punch, which gets better as the beer warms to about 40-45 degrees Farenheit. The back end is where this beer lives and breathes, finishing bitter and lingering long after the sip. Biscuit-like malts become prominent after the hoppiness fades a bit.

The beer feels syrupy and smooth in the mouth, making it filling but extremely sweet and tasty. Despite this, it's very easy to drink and would be hard to leave after just one.

This is one of my go-to beers for just sitting around drinking or to pair with spicy foods. It's versatile and delicious; highly recommended.

12-07-2010 03:15:03 | More by MakeMineAPBR
Erniek

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Nice balance of bitterness and sweetness with a lingering bitterness that I like. Not too sweet or dry maybe a bit on the high side alcohol wise for a pale ale. The nose on this beer starts nicely but seems to slip away kind of fast. Firm body for style and overall one of my favorite beers for a long time.

07-10-2012 23:44:42 | More by Erniek
jpwilliamson

Colorado

look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Drinking out of the "stovepipe" this is one of my go-to beers that I enjoy with regularity. It's a bit like a homecoming for me, and I enjoy the hoppy inflexion that comes with each swig. This is THE prototypical Colorado Ale...you will not be disappointed unless you hate hops.

07-29-2013 01:18:18 | More by jpwilliamson
Cfeezy

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I will preface this by saying DPA is one of my go-to's for a tasty, crisp, lighter beer.

Poured into a pint glass from a can.

A - Pours into the glass with a with clear, dark amber-colored hue/haze, and had about 2 fingers worth of head.

S - It has a wonderful light & hoppy aroma without any real bitterness to speak of.

T - A true typical pale ale with a mellow mouthfeel. It has a slight bitter finish, but on the mild end of spectrum compared to some of the super IPAs out there today.

M - Nothing too detailed to note here; feels like a lighter, carbonated, hopped brew.

O - Like I said, this is a standard go-to for me; doe the the taste and the Colorado connection. I think it's a nice, crisp IPA but with no outlandish tricks like crazy amounts of hops or alcohol.

Perfect for around the campfire.

01-26-2014 16:36:43 | More by Cfeezy
Nedjimb0sTavern

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

really this tastes more like an IPA, the bitterness and alcohol content seem to point in that direction.

That's not a bad thing at all though.

beautiful pour, fluffy head (no fizz here), pale amber hue, crisp hop bitteryness kind of overpowers the malt but it still tastes good. No off flavors, no off smells, this is the best canned beer I've ever had, and it is generally a great beer in general.

Drinkability doesn't really fit for the style though.

01-28-2009 04:51:37 | More by Nedjimb0sTavern
BlackDogBrews

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

Ah, Dales Pale Ale...I was introduced to this beer about 6 years ago at the BrewGrass Festival in Asheville, NC and it quickly became one of my all time favorite pale ales. I love that it comes in a can. Makes it very easy to take great beer with you to the beach, the lake, camping, roadtrips...you name it. This is an extremely drinkable beer, which can get you in trouble with the 6.5% ABV. The hops could be a little more present in the aroma, but the taste makes up for that. I like the sweetness that comes through as well. Very well balanced. This is just one of the great offerings from Oskar Blues and a beer that should be sought out by all who enjoy this style.

08-08-2010 17:42:32 | More by BlackDogBrews
One_Man_Gang

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

had this on tap at the 45th Street Tap House in Ocean City, MD. my favorite on-tap beer. if you like IPAs, APAs, or even pale ales, please try this

color is amber to deep amber

head is very good, stacks up and laces down

smell is mostly hops, piney and citrus, but balances at the end of a long draw

taste is a hops assault. hammers you. leans towards the citrus side, but also pine and resin hints

texture is nice, it's carbonated very well and feels full in your mouth

overall, if you are are hop head, this is for you. try it!

11-23-2012 00:42:55 | More by One_Man_Gang
BigRedGator

Georgia

3.99/5  rDev +2.3%

Full bodied and smooth, concealing the strength and kick. Very hoppy, so very hoppy. A very good and enjoyable drink for really kicking back year round. Cans keep it cold and it is best served very cold. Red IPA's seem the best in my experience and this one embodies that rule. Love it.

04-04-2013 01:25:46 | More by BigRedGator
silverevo9

3.91/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Just poured into a Weizenbier glass. The head on this pour has a really nice appearance and presentation. The dual color pour, with a light amber fighting off the white head trying to form. Head retention is very good and masculine. Good strength in head, wont go away, really well done there. Sticky lacing and a very good hop scent that very specific to this beer. I can see why this beer lives up to the life style it was produced for. Taste, for a lack of superlatives very excellent. Nose to glass, i get an abundance of sweet hop and bitterness following. These will be with me on camping trips and mountain biking trails. 6.5% occurring here makes a difference from the standard 5.3%. Buzz comes comes on a lot faster. Drinkable, portable, and outstanding.

Great beer!

02-20-2014 23:25:24 | More by silverevo9
ams4k

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Easily the best canned beer in America, and a contender for the best American IPA, especially in terms of the elusive drinkability-hop flavor combination. Similar to Dogfish 60 Minute but even crisper and more fun in the can. This is a true desert-island brew: the one you'd want, and a good way to introduce novice beer folks to the better stuff out there. Somehow they are less intimidated by a can than big bottles with champagne corks. It's a great summer thirst-quencher and also kicks ass with anything grilled or barbecued. I just made myself thirsty.

08-01-2007 12:53:21 | More by ams4k
ottobon100

1.3/5  rDev -66.7%

I have tried this several times and rarely found one that didn't taste exactly like the can it was poured from. An IPA is my favorite beer and I see promise in this one BUT they need to bottle it vice the can. That is how this beer has to acquire the metallic taste otherwise it has a future.

12-06-2009 02:06:49 | More by ottobon100
AndrewD1022

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

A - Poured a light orange almost amber color and has a decent head that sticks around for a little while. The head is white.

S - A hoppy citrusy crisp smell. Had some grapefruit smell to it, but nothing was overpowering.

T - Just like the smell the taste is crisp. A sweet and hoppy taste in one. Once again, like the smell you get a grapefruit taste that is not overpowering but has a great aftertaste.

M - Coats your mouth with just the right amount of carbonation. Clean all the way through the drink.

D - This is a session beer. Just a great all around APA. I could drink this everyday, unlike many other heavier beers. However, this is no macro-brewery drink, it has complex undertones to the taste that make everything come together.

12-31-2009 02:39:47 | More by AndrewD1022
AnthonyBeerdain

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured out of a can into a snifter. Canned on 27-Nov-2013.

Aroma
Slight hop aroma, mostly florals with an inkling of cinnamon or spice making an unexpected showing. Maybe I'm an idiot. As the carbonation declines, so does the aroma. No alcohol detected. Pale malt peeks through. Would have benefited from just a touch more hop florals.

Appearance
Crystal clear, golden, half-inch straw-colored head slowly dissipates and eventually disappears, although lacing remains on the glass. Seriously though, I can see what I'm typing through my beer. Sure, it's distorted and golden, but I can see it!

Flavor
A consistent taste from the time it hits your tongue until you swallow. Medium hop bitterness complimented by a solid caramel malt presence. I think I detect a hint of dust, but maybe my wife needs to learn how to do the dishes better. Hop bitterness wins out at the end and stays.

Mouthfeel
Light-medium bodied. Surprisingly dry. Salivation kicks in with the first sip and leads to a coating on the tongue that reminds you of the beer for a while after you're done.

Overall Impression
This was my beer for the Super Bowl this year. After four it made my mother-in-law much more tolerable. It's a solid pale ale. Most American pales seem to over-hop in an attempt to leach off the popularity of their cooler brother, IPA. Dale's Pale Ale seems to stay true to the style, and for that I'm thankful.

02-14-2014 01:45:53 | More by AnthonyBeerdain
CtephanieCimone

Connecticut

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First Had: May 26th 2013

Great combo of pale malt/fruity citrus hops!

Had this brew awhile ago... was the second beer ive ever had. Pretty much became the reason I decided to learn more about craft beer. So glad I got to start out with a great tasting solid beer.

04-13-2014 16:08:14 | More by CtephanieCimone
b33rb3lly

I happened upon this beer by accident one day here in NJ. I saw a stack of these little 12 packs and saw it was a brew I haven't tried, let alone even heard of. I figured what the hey...

I was sort of pleasing surprised by this ale. Nice color and aroma. Taste can be a little harsh if you are use to the mass produced beers like Coors and the such. I'm not so i found it a great drinking beer when you are in the mood for just a few. More than a few can knock you on your butt @ 6.5% alcohol. This has become my Saturday night beer of choice for the last couple of months.

01-27-2006 20:44:56 | More by b33rb3lly
JJJ22

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Sort of coppery colored, but really hard to tell as I drank it as the brewers intended -- straight from the can.

S: Quite hoppy for not being poured.

T: Bitter to the point of almost too much so, but still quite refreshing.

M: Slightly chewy, without evidence of alcohol content.

D: I could down a sixer of this at the lake, no problem.

05-06-2008 22:03:02 | More by JJJ22
gau8a

4.85/5  rDev +24.4%

this should be called MORNING ALE.. this can be enjoyed anytime!. this has a lot of dimmensional flavor. being a fan of green flash west coast ipa, bear republics racer 5, hop rod rye,& dogfish heads ipa...or any good ipa actually!!. i never thought beer could taste or be bothered to be good in a can.i was wrong!!& its not even an ipa. i dont think it matters what you prefer. you wont be disappoined with this. GREAT JOB!!!! OSCAR BLUES!!!!

05-30-2009 01:12:05 | More by gau8a
Cascade99

Georgia

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

A - Pours copper color - pushing slightly to an orange tinge. Nice, creamy white head that disappates - leaving lacing on the glass.

S - Spicey, slight grapefruit, maybe tangerine. Not much in the sense of a smell of malt, but more pulled towards hops, which is appropriate for the style. Smell is definitely not over-dominate.

T - Bit disappointed in the taste. The bitterness is slightly higher than I would expect for a pale and the hop. I could see this one being an IPA that lacks the hop aroma to the extent needed. The bitterness defintely takes over. Slight notes of oxidation, as noted through a paper-like taste. Not excessive, but definitely there.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied. Appropriate for the style.

Overall - Not a bad pale ale, but definitely not one that I feel is a top five. I would drink again, but probably would not go out of my way to find. If there was slightly less bitterness and more in the aroma from the hops, this one could be great.

03-21-2010 21:01:20 | More by Cascade99
pdotsoler

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

A- Poured into pilsner-type glass with two inches of bubble-bath-like head slowly dissipating
S- light pine and grapefruit, a little breadiness and a little dishsoap. mild scent, gotta stick my nose in it
T- Taste is of a watery IPA? has that hop flavor in a light beverage but its sortof muted. My tongue gets very little when I sip, but inbetween sips I get a nice bitterness thats pretty pleasant. Similar to when you eat spicy food, its mostly hot when you stop eating it. The hop flavor gets muted very fast as you drink more
M- Mouthfeel is OK; watery but foamy. Could be carbonated a little more?
Overall- Delicious! Not my favor set of flavors going on in this beer but it feels like an excellent beer to have while fishing, which is nice because its in cans which are lighter when you're done :) Very nice canned beer.

09-03-2012 22:25:50 | More by pdotsoler
screws

I had half the beer in the actual can and the other half in a pint glass.

Aroma: To get the aroma of the beer you have to stick your nose right up to the opening. For a Pale Ale, the beer smells quite hoppy. Didn't smell anything else going on with the beer.

Look (once poured into a pint glass): When poured the head was nice. White, light and made of small bubbles. Through out the drink the beer bubbled (small bubbles) and the head stayed for the whole time (though it was thin). A medium orange-red in color (could not make out detail through the glass).

Taste: The hops are definitely there, but not over powering. The swallow was nice, with some floral mixed in with the hop, for a nice even drink. It is not a complex taste, though at the end of the swallow there was an extremely light butterscotch taste for me. Lighter to medium body for me.

Conclusion: Enjoyed the beer. I would consider this a session beer for a party or bbq. Good hop taste, but not over powering, and a clean drink.

12-04-2006 03:08:07 | More by screws
Auburnbean33

Alabama

4.78/5  rDev +22.6%

I may be a little biased but this is one of my favorite beers. I live in Alabama so i have to travel to Georgia or Tn to get my hands on this stuff. So to the review.
It pours up thick for a Pale Ale, reddish orange hue with a good 2 finger sticky head, smells of citrus and crisp. Mouth feel is a good medium body not to thick and def not thin. Its a bit hoppier than most Pale Ales so that may be why i enjoy it so much. All in all one of my favorite beers to drink.

10-27-2010 06:54:50 | More by Auburnbean33