Deviant Dale's IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Deviant Dale's IPADeviant Dale's IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-16-2011)
Reviews by damndirtyape:
damndirtyape

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

16oz can (canned on 10/05/12) poured into a milkshake pilsner glass.

Appearance: Clear and bright copper-amber. Rocky persistent head, quite thick upon initial pouring, but at least 1/8" thick the whole way down the glass. Lots of lacing all over the place. Great looking beer.

Smell: Pine, grapefruit citrus, tropical fruits. Hoppy hoppy hoppy.

Taste: Resinous, grapefruit, mangos, other tropical fruits throughout. There is some malt sweetness under it all, but you cannot pull out what malt it is under all those hops. Let's just say it does a good job balancing against the hops. Bitter finish, with some lingering but not too long.

Mouthfeel: Nicely thick, smooth, but quite sticky on the teeth. Just right carbonation to counter those hop oils - they stick on the teeth, but they're not there all night.

Overall / Drinkability: Quite nice - very impressive and very hoppy, but not so bitter that it smacks you around and leaves you wanting to stop at one. This one is dangerous....I really want another but at 8% ABV I know better, and yet, it wouldn't take too much arm twisting for me to open another 16oz can at which point I know I'm doomed and laughing it off for the rest of the evening. So very drinkable. A great American IPA.

01-12-2013 23:51:27 | More by damndirtyape
oberon

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Poured from the can a deep rich copper color with a large fluffy off white head atop into an imperial nonic.Sharp grassy and piney hops in the nose,alot like Gubna,I actually picked up some sweet onion in there like the Gubna.Herbal and big grassy hops over top of a toffee based malt base,the hops are the main component but again it reminds me too much of GUBNA wich is not a really bad thing.Love the looks love the hop profile,it's a really good beer but it is alot like the GUBNA,whatever it is it's a really good DIPA.

05-06-2012 21:11:18 | More by oberon

DanGeo

05-30-2013 22:29:06 | More by DanGeo
tectactoe

2.88/5  rDev -28.5%

After Oskar Blues' excursion onto my great state of Michigan, I was excited to finally grab some Deviant Dale's IPA, especially after really enjoying the lighter Dale's Pale Ale. I've had this both extremely fresh (two weeks old) and a little bit older (10 weeks old) and noticed almost no appreciable difference over this course of time. Beyond that, I can't tell you, but within 10 weeks, there is really no "drop off" at all.

Although I enjoy drinking canned beers straight from their vessel, I figured I'd pour the first one into a glass and see how it looks. It's a solid amber color that's mixed with some sun-burnt and burnt orange along the sides. It's pretty hazy and cloudy, though far from being completely opaque. The soapy-ish, off-white head drops some sticky webbing on the glass.

The aroma of Deviant Dale's is extremely pungent, almost to an excessive degree. Insanely piney and resinous, bursting with hot hop oils and a sharp injection of booze. It's "only" 8% ABV, but the booze has a somewhat abrasive fusel character that stings the nostrils maybe a bit too much. Some more mild grapefruit joins in the finish, along with a toasted-bread (but not quite caramely) malt bill, but the overly-pungent, dank ass hops steal the show, and that may not exactly be a good thing here.

Unfortunately, the taste follows through even more than the nose does, complete with incredibly spicy and pungent hops, hop oils, and pine notes. Bitter, resinous, and dank. The alcohol is, again, far too noticeable for this type of brew, especially when I've had plenty of 9-10% ABV brews where the alcohol was a mere afterthought. Some light onion and vegetal notes throw my palate for a whirl, as well. The malt shows a bit of caramel finally, as I would expect given the darker hue of the beer. Even at its strongest, though, it doesn't really put a dent in the dense hop flavor.

I'm all for resin, pines, hops, dank, etc., but in this capacity, it's almost far too much to thoroughly enjoy. Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but I can't believe this stuff is rated so highly. Unless people really enjoy oily pungency beyond belief, which I have a hard time believing. Coinciding with the flavor profile, the mouth feel is expectedly sticky and coating on the palate and teeth; medium-thick in body with medium carbonation.

Blah, I was sorely let down by this one, especially after having tried and liked the Pale Ale. I don't know what could have went wrong here, but the shear potency of the pines, resins, and oils were just too much for me to handle. The heavy fusel alcohol burn didn't help the drinkability at all, either. Just a weird brew that I don't exactly understand the love for. I know that palates are indeed different, but mine can't be this far off, can it? Perhaps sometime in the future I'll give it another whirl and see if it was a possible bad batch, but if my cans were in spec, then I just don't "get" this brew.

06-03-2013 16:38:13 | More by tectactoe
Max3

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

05-26-2014 20:34:49 | More by Max3
MadScientist

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

It's a might fine looking beer that pours a fairly clear medium amber with a highlights of orange and red. An slightly assertive pour produces a finger of of long lasting off-white head.

Oh buddy this smells like hops candy with an intense hops aroma and a clean malt sweetness. The hops are thickly layered aromas citrus, pine, pineapple, mango and something else I can't name but I'm loving it. There is a light grass/herbaceous note in there as well. How is that at 8% no alcohol aroma can make it thought all the hops?

There is a huge bitterness and tons of hops flavor but the malt sweetness keeps the first sip from being overly aggressive; so it's got balance. The hops flavor has a lot of pine with tropical fruit flavors of pineapple and mango followed by some citrus. It has a fairly dry finish with a hops bitterness that just lasts and last.

This beer is smooth on the palate with a medium body, moderate carbonation and a slight creaminess. There is a light warming sensation from the alcohol not that I smell it or taste it.

Wow, an outstanding and potent hop bomb of an IPA; this could be in my top 5 IPAs. The high bitterness and flavor are slowing me down which is good because I hardly notice the alcohol in this one.

06-29-2012 01:55:36 | More by MadScientist

Kansas

07-10-2014 16:39:35 | More by joemetric
diesel59

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

just poured from a 16 fluid ounce can... into a traditional guinness style pint glass... a nice head is obtained by vigorously pouring the last 3rd of the can...decent lacing with lots of citrus and grapefruit in the nose... the taste is eveything you would yearn for in an IPA and more.... leaving your mouth just dry enough to crave more of this deviant, deviant ale.... at this point the only thing the finish is telling me is to open another can.... WOW!!! all this and not to mention from a CAN! this has certaninly changed my opinions on cans...Enjoy..

03-22-2012 23:00:09 | More by diesel59
BeerAdvocate

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #66 (July 2012):

LOOK: Faintly hazed, orange amber, killer lacing

SMELL: Hop forward, slightly dank, passion fruit, caramel, floral, orange oil, leafy, bready

TASTE: Very hoppy, semi-pungent, slightly spicy, leafy, bitter middle, biscuity, grapefruit rind, black tea, hemp seeds, estery, warming, bitter, drying finish

Bam! Hops front to back, very intense. Tallboy can presence is a plus for us, so thankfully it delivered—not that we were worried. Very well done. Sip to sip, it becomes more drinkable. A lot of talk about this beer, and it certainly lives up to the hype.

11-27-2013 23:04:43 | More by BeerAdvocate
Dmann

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

A pretty good beer but not my favorite type of IPA. Nice pour with a inviting dark amber color with a nice off white head. Smell was pretty malty and dark with less hops than I was expecting. Taste had a musty malty flavor that was a bit off putting before the hops kicked in and saved the day, but still a bit too much malt for my taste. mouthfeel was thick and not too inviting. Overall a decent IPA but not one I'd rush out to get again.

04-21-2012 02:49:14 | More by Dmann

DaftPatrick

04-11-2014 03:59:59 | More by DaftPatrick
andyfrancis

3.61/5  rDev -10.4%

I've developed a semi-subconscious radar for detecting when a beer is likely to get me drunker and more quickly than expected. The deep amber-copper color combined with the name Deviant Dale has the alarms going off. Nice clump of condensed foam settling on one side of the glass, revealing a clear crescent moon of the beer below.

Robust pine hop aroma followed by some sweet biscuity malt. Almost smells astringent if that's possible.

Hmm. Very little flavor up front. Harsh, flat boozy hop finish. Tastes like a homebrew.

Somehow watery and syrupy at the same time. No carbonation to speak of. Alcohol is noticeable.

I don't know what it is. Ten Fidy is one of my favorite stouts and one of the best beers available in a can so I really want to like Dale's and this along with it, but a few times now I've been disappointed. Not likely to buy it again.

07-06-2013 20:58:15 | More by andyfrancis