Deviant Dale's IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Deviant Dale's IPADeviant Dale's IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-16-2011)
Reviews by dejrrma:
3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

dejrrma, Jun 23, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Canned on 2/24/12.

Pours a clear copper color with a 1 inch puffy orange-white head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. A latticework of small dots and streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of herbal and vegetal hops. There is a slight onion/garlic aroma but nothing like Gubna. Taste is of herbal and vegetal hops with a slight malt presence. There is a medium amount of bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good IPA but the vegetal hop aromas and flavors aren't my cup of tea.

UCLABrewN84, Mar 17, 2012
4.03/5  rDev 0%

Poured from the can a deep rich copper color with a large fluffy off white head atop into an imperial nonic.Sharp grassy and piney hops in the nose,alot like Gubna,I actually picked up some sweet onion in there like the Gubna.Herbal and big grassy hops over top of a toffee based malt base,the hops are the main component but again it reminds me too much of GUBNA wich is not a really bad thing.Love the looks love the hop profile,it's a really good beer but it is alot like the GUBNA,whatever it is it's a really good DIPA.

oberon, May 06, 2012

aszatk01, Oct 19, 2012

pbsmooth, Dec 14, 2011

DanGeo, May 30, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

After Oskar Blues' excursion onto my great state of Michigan, I was excited to finally grab some Deviant Dale's IPA, especially after really enjoying the lighter Dale's Pale Ale. I've had this both extremely fresh (two weeks old) and a little bit older (10 weeks old) and noticed almost no appreciable difference over this course of time. Beyond that, I can't tell you, but within 10 weeks, there is really no "drop off" at all.

Although I enjoy drinking canned beers straight from their vessel, I figured I'd pour the first one into a glass and see how it looks. It's a solid amber color that's mixed with some sun-burnt and burnt orange along the sides. It's pretty hazy and cloudy, though far from being completely opaque. The soapy-ish, off-white head drops some sticky webbing on the glass.

The aroma of Deviant Dale's is extremely pungent, almost to an excessive degree. Insanely piney and resinous, bursting with hot hop oils and a sharp injection of booze. It's "only" 8% ABV, but the booze has a somewhat abrasive fusel character that stings the nostrils maybe a bit too much. Some more mild grapefruit joins in the finish, along with a toasted-bread (but not quite caramely) malt bill, but the overly-pungent, dank ass hops steal the show, and that may not exactly be a good thing here.

Unfortunately, the taste follows through even more than the nose does, complete with incredibly spicy and pungent hops, hop oils, and pine notes. Bitter, resinous, and dank. The alcohol is, again, far too noticeable for this type of brew, especially when I've had plenty of 9-10% ABV brews where the alcohol was a mere afterthought. Some light onion and vegetal notes throw my palate for a whirl, as well. The malt shows a bit of caramel finally, as I would expect given the darker hue of the beer. Even at its strongest, though, it doesn't really put a dent in the dense hop flavor.

I'm all for resin, pines, hops, dank, etc., but in this capacity, it's almost far too much to thoroughly enjoy. Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but I can't believe this stuff is rated so highly. Unless people really enjoy oily pungency beyond belief, which I have a hard time believing. Coinciding with the flavor profile, the mouth feel is expectedly sticky and coating on the palate and teeth; medium-thick in body with medium carbonation.

Blah, I was sorely let down by this one, especially after having tried and liked the Pale Ale. I don't know what could have went wrong here, but the shear potency of the pines, resins, and oils were just too much for me to handle. The heavy fusel alcohol burn didn't help the drinkability at all, either. Just a weird brew that I don't exactly understand the love for. I know that palates are indeed different, but mine can't be this far off, can it? Perhaps sometime in the future I'll give it another whirl and see if it was a possible bad batch, but if my cans were in spec, then I just don't "get" this brew.

tectactoe, Jun 03, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Max3, May 26, 2014
4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

It's a might fine looking beer that pours a fairly clear medium amber with a highlights of orange and red. An slightly assertive pour produces a finger of of long lasting off-white head.

Oh buddy this smells like hops candy with an intense hops aroma and a clean malt sweetness. The hops are thickly layered aromas citrus, pine, pineapple, mango and something else I can't name but I'm loving it. There is a light grass/herbaceous note in there as well. How is that at 8% no alcohol aroma can make it thought all the hops?

There is a huge bitterness and tons of hops flavor but the malt sweetness keeps the first sip from being overly aggressive; so it's got balance. The hops flavor has a lot of pine with tropical fruit flavors of pineapple and mango followed by some citrus. It has a fairly dry finish with a hops bitterness that just lasts and last.

This beer is smooth on the palate with a medium body, moderate carbonation and a slight creaminess. There is a light warming sensation from the alcohol not that I smell it or taste it.

Wow, an outstanding and potent hop bomb of an IPA; this could be in my top 5 IPAs. The high bitterness and flavor are slowing me down which is good because I hardly notice the alcohol in this one.

MadScientist, Jun 29, 2012

Shakerman, Oct 12, 2012

BenTherHppedThat, May 06, 2012

joemetric, Jul 10, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

just poured from a 16 fluid ounce can... into a traditional guinness style pint glass... a nice head is obtained by vigorously pouring the last 3rd of the can...decent lacing with lots of citrus and grapefruit in the nose... the taste is eveything you would yearn for in an IPA and more.... leaving your mouth just dry enough to crave more of this deviant, deviant ale.... at this point the only thing the finish is telling me is to open another can.... WOW!!! all this and not to mention from a CAN! this has certaninly changed my opinions on cans...Enjoy..

diesel59, Mar 22, 2012
3.86/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #66 (July 2012):

LOOK: Faintly hazed, orange amber, killer lacing

SMELL: Hop forward, slightly dank, passion fruit, caramel, floral, orange oil, leafy, bready

TASTE: Very hoppy, semi-pungent, slightly spicy, leafy, bitter middle, biscuity, grapefruit rind, black tea, hemp seeds, estery, warming, bitter, drying finish

Bam! Hops front to back, very intense. Tallboy can presence is a plus for us, so thankfully it delivered—not that we were worried. Very well done. Sip to sip, it becomes more drinkable. A lot of talk about this beer, and it certainly lives up to the hype.

BeerAdvocate, Nov 27, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

A pretty good beer but not my favorite type of IPA. Nice pour with a inviting dark amber color with a nice off white head. Smell was pretty malty and dark with less hops than I was expecting. Taste had a musty malty flavor that was a bit off putting before the hops kicked in and saved the day, but still a bit too much malt for my taste. mouthfeel was thick and not too inviting. Overall a decent IPA but not one I'd rush out to get again.

Dmann, Apr 21, 2012

followerofmen, Dec 20, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

DaftPatrick, Apr 11, 2014
3.61/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I've developed a semi-subconscious radar for detecting when a beer is likely to get me drunker and more quickly than expected. The deep amber-copper color combined with the name Deviant Dale has the alarms going off. Nice clump of condensed foam settling on one side of the glass, revealing a clear crescent moon of the beer below.

Robust pine hop aroma followed by some sweet biscuity malt. Almost smells astringent if that's possible.

Hmm. Very little flavor up front. Harsh, flat boozy hop finish. Tastes like a homebrew.

Somehow watery and syrupy at the same time. No carbonation to speak of. Alcohol is noticeable.

I don't know what it is. Ten Fidy is one of my favorite stouts and one of the best beers available in a can so I really want to like Dale's and this along with it, but a few times now I've been disappointed. Not likely to buy it again.

andyfrancis, Jul 06, 2013