2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Deviant Dale's IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Deviant Dale's IPADeviant Dale's IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-16-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Deviant Dale's IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,312 | Reviews: 574 | Show All Ratings:
harrymel

Washington

2.33/5  rDev -42.2%

Canned 24FEB12

Pours amber with a little off white soapy head. Smells of weed, onion, catty with some musk. Really a masculine, if you will, nose. REsiny, grapefruit, onion again, really surprised at how I can taste the alcohol through this hop onslaught. Really a ton of hops here and a good dose of sweet malts. There is a body odor flavor on the hop profile and I am okay with it, but not really digging the flavor much. Medium bodied with moderate carb and a wet finish. This is a big beer certainly, but a little too far into the resin, onion, veggie, B.O. profiles for me. Probably the first big miss I've had from Oskar Blues.

03-12-2012 15:56:12 | More by harrymel
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

2.35/5  rDev -41.7%

16oz can into a pint glass

A: Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of dense white head.

S: Smells like a hop come - this aroma is seriously all hops. Mostly pine, I get a bit of citrus, too.

T: Again, this is all hops. I get almost no malt character at all - this tastes like hop juice. It's only moderately bitter, but the hops are extreme in their flavor. The pine is again in the forefront - I don't get much else. I really get nothing from the malts in this beer.

M: On the thick side with nice creamy carbonation.

O: There is really no character outside of hops in this beer. It's not overly bitter, but it tastes like hop tea. I get nothing from the malts at all. Not impressed.

10-09-2012 01:28:40 | More by coreyfmcdonald
TheDudeRules

2.38/5  rDev -40.9%

From a growler to my pint glass.

Pours an amber orange with a massive amount of off white foam. Several fingers thick. Smells of slight citrus and fruit with a heavy malt backbone. So heavy in fact it is the flavor profile to me. Malt flavor profile = garbage and drain pour. I can't do them. I try and I try, but they are flat out awful. Sweet caramel that richly coats your tongue. It gets stuck in the back of my throat and I want to gag. Horrible beer flat out.

Serving type: growler

05-06-2011 06:15:03 | More by TheDudeRules
owenfi

2.45/5  rDev -39.2%

My first try of this beer I drank straight from the can. I like the style and cheeky phrases, which led to the purchase.

The flavor is more cherry than I would like and less hoppy than I expect from an IPA. A titch too coppery, but that's not surprising given how red the can is.

The mouthfeel is mediciny which is the main contributor to its low overall score.

03-25-2013 06:43:05 | More by owenfi
davey101

Connecticut

2.55/5  rDev -36.7%

16 oz tallboy can into a pint glass. Canned on: 8-08-12 @ 09:46 "SPF-15000". Not sure how this got past EPA!

A - Dark and clear amber body.One finger soapy white head. Nice lacing and retention.

S - Orange juice, resinous pine, and danky onions. The onions do have a significant presence here which seems to overpower any traces of malt sweetness.

T - This is obviously not the IPA for me. Starts off with a very bitter and savory onion and dank flavor. Almost no sweetness. So much alcohol that its almost liquor like. Mouth feel is medium bodied with high carbonation, but the drinkability is low for me due to the flavor profile and alcohol.

O - I can't blame this on freshness as its not even three weeks old. Its a very savory and danky beer. I can't even tote this one to taste buds either because the alcohol presence makes for one unbalanced beer.

08-28-2012 01:30:05 | More by davey101
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.7/5  rDev -33%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

tallboy into large short's pint. Bottom of can reads 'STANDARD OF DEVIATION'.

A- Nice head, thick and creamy, eggshell white. Beer is a bit hazy, burnt orange. Looks pretty good to me.

S- This smells like dank, wet pine and some papaya as well.

T- Hop wallop on the tongue, very lemony and a bit skunk-y (not lightstruck'd). Bitterness is impressive and lingers. Malt sweetness is not insignificant but it still falls to the rear.

M- Alcohol is noticeable, a bit hot. Bitterness is sharp- perhaps a bit too abrasive. Bordering on solvent-y.

O- Meh, looks ok, smells ok, tastes ok, but it's not for me. It's not a bad beer by any means but it does little to excite me. Did not finish.

05-29-2012 00:31:55 | More by ShogoKawada
ArrogantB

Colorado

2.83/5  rDev -29.8%

Clear red-amber color, good head. I knew after the first whiff of this beer that it did not have a hop profile I was going to like. It smelled sort of like summit hops or maybe columbus adn made me instantly think of pepper and onions. It reminded me a lot of Gubna and Green Flash Imperial IPA. Flavor followed suit, added a chewy maltiness and was no good. I'm sorry I didn't like Gubna and I don;t like this at all. I'll stick to Gordon, Dale's Pale, and Mama's.

03-08-2012 01:58:23 | More by ArrogantB
tectactoe

2.88/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

After Oskar Blues' excursion onto my great state of Michigan, I was excited to finally grab some Deviant Dale's IPA, especially after really enjoying the lighter Dale's Pale Ale. I've had this both extremely fresh (two weeks old) and a little bit older (10 weeks old) and noticed almost no appreciable difference over this course of time. Beyond that, I can't tell you, but within 10 weeks, there is really no "drop off" at all.

Although I enjoy drinking canned beers straight from their vessel, I figured I'd pour the first one into a glass and see how it looks. It's a solid amber color that's mixed with some sun-burnt and burnt orange along the sides. It's pretty hazy and cloudy, though far from being completely opaque. The soapy-ish, off-white head drops some sticky webbing on the glass.

The aroma of Deviant Dale's is extremely pungent, almost to an excessive degree. Insanely piney and resinous, bursting with hot hop oils and a sharp injection of booze. It's "only" 8% ABV, but the booze has a somewhat abrasive fusel character that stings the nostrils maybe a bit too much. Some more mild grapefruit joins in the finish, along with a toasted-bread (but not quite caramely) malt bill, but the overly-pungent, dank ass hops steal the show, and that may not exactly be a good thing here.

Unfortunately, the taste follows through even more than the nose does, complete with incredibly spicy and pungent hops, hop oils, and pine notes. Bitter, resinous, and dank. The alcohol is, again, far too noticeable for this type of brew, especially when I've had plenty of 9-10% ABV brews where the alcohol was a mere afterthought. Some light onion and vegetal notes throw my palate for a whirl, as well. The malt shows a bit of caramel finally, as I would expect given the darker hue of the beer. Even at its strongest, though, it doesn't really put a dent in the dense hop flavor.

I'm all for resin, pines, hops, dank, etc., but in this capacity, it's almost far too much to thoroughly enjoy. Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but I can't believe this stuff is rated so highly. Unless people really enjoy oily pungency beyond belief, which I have a hard time believing. Coinciding with the flavor profile, the mouth feel is expectedly sticky and coating on the palate and teeth; medium-thick in body with medium carbonation.

Blah, I was sorely let down by this one, especially after having tried and liked the Pale Ale. I don't know what could have went wrong here, but the shear potency of the pines, resins, and oils were just too much for me to handle. The heavy fusel alcohol burn didn't help the drinkability at all, either. Just a weird brew that I don't exactly understand the love for. I know that palates are indeed different, but mine can't be this far off, can it? Perhaps sometime in the future I'll give it another whirl and see if it was a possible bad batch, but if my cans were in spec, then I just don't "get" this brew.

06-03-2013 16:38:13 | More by tectactoe
Steasy66

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

16oz can into imperial pint glass

A Burnt straw with 1 finger off white head
S Very floral hops, not much else
T Fruity and citrus hops, very sweet, too sweet for my taste, not balanced well by the bitterness.
M Very thick, very little carb
O I love me a sweet DIPA, but this is overboard, the sweetness is almost sugary, not much malt flavor, not good bitterness to balance things out

04-20-2012 02:59:46 | More by Steasy66
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.95/5  rDev -26.8%

11 ounce pour - $8.75 at Taco Mac in Canton, Georgia.

Appearance: Served a clear, copper body with a teeny, tiny white ring.

Smell: Pushes big notes of bread and booze with less than ingratiating hop notes of resins, headache powder, and pith.

Taste: Pale malts dialed up towards a sugary breadiness. A drizzle of pine sap dosed with aspirin tablets and the pith of lemons and grapefruit. Moderate bitterness. Has an expectedly bitter finish with a bit more alcohol-soaked bread with continued resins and pith into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-low carbonation.

Overall: Can I just have a Dale's Pale instead? Oooh, or a Gordon?? If anybody wants the last couple ounces of this, then knock yourselves out.

03-09-2012 15:01:57 | More by ChainGangGuy
HopHead84

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

4/19/2012

This was canned on 3/30/2012 making it under 3 weeks old. Snifter.

A: Dark orange with perfect clarity. A hard pour yields two fingers of frothy beige sea foam. The beer exhibits very good retention and a leaves thick sheet of lacing in its wake.

S: Strong floral aromatics meld with bright orange and grapefruit. Resinous pine notes accompany caramel. Vibrant guava and mango characteristics emanate from the glass. There's just a dash of onion. This smells great.

T: Bitter orange pith and grapefruit rind. The citrus profile brings a lot of unripened grapefruit, tangerine, and orange flesh to the bonterfest. There's a surprisingly strong level of booze flavor for 8% ABV. Combine that with the unripened citrus theme and you get a less than stellar flavor. This has a solid malt foundation that contributes some sweetness as well as bread and caramel. The finish leaves a long lasting acrid orange pith bitterness waltzing with the booze already on my tongue.

M: Medium in body with a level of carbonation that's lower than I expected from the appearance. I'd put it at an upper low level. The mouthfeel is sticky and a touch watery thin.

Overall: The beer possesses an admirable aroma but I found the flavor not only lacking, but also somewhat unpleasant. Think of brushing your teeth and then drinking a glass of orange juice.

04-20-2012 03:38:18 | More by HopHead84
Fcip78

Poured the 16 oz. can into a pint glass to a hazy orange-amber with little head. The smell of piney hop resin was very strong and indicated a hop-centric flavor profile. First couple of sips indicted pungent hop flavors, but little to no malt backbone. Frankly, this is hop juice; very one dimensional.... the taste was not what I expected...

I finished about half of the can and chucked the rest. I felt very unsatisfied, so I wanted to something to verify my opinion of this beer. Therefore, as a comparison, I immediately poured myself a Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Torpedo provided that balance and spicy hop flavor that I enjoy with IPAs.

Overall, Extra IPAs or IPAs are one of my favorites, but like a Jimmy Rollins at-bat it is a frustrating style to enjoy (Phils fans will understand what I mean). If I had to sum it up, Hop Wallop is perfect example of what Deviant Dale's SHOULD have aimed for.

04-29-2012 18:26:48 | More by Fcip78
kojevergas

1 pint/500ml/16 fl oz aluminum can acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood, California last week and served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed from notes. Expectations are high given the brewery - which is growing on me - and current ratings for this beer on the site. I've also seen hype about it on the forums. ABV confirmed as 8.00%. Canned on 03/30/2012. No best before date.

Not paired with food.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a nice 2.5 finger head of nice cream, beige colour, good thickness, and excellent retention for the 8.00% ABV. A slight bubble show (about two seconds) emerges as bubbles float upwards towards the head. Colour is a dark caramel copper with amber tinges. Little lacing as the head recedes. Appears adequately carbonated. A nice appearance for the style, though predictable to an extent. The foamy head is nice and soft, inviting a sip. No yeast particles are visible - nor should they be for the style.

Sm: Bittering hops with slight pine and citrus qualities. No real floral character here. Some dry grapefruit is dominant. Clean malts. A typical hoppy aroma for the style. Mild to moderate in strength. Appealing, though the hop bitterness seems untamed...

T: It is. Fresh grapefruit and slight oily pine hops help cover the bitterness on the climax, leaving a pleasant hop character - but the bitterness does slip through on the backend in the finish and aftertaste, to the detriment of the flavour - but it's not a substantial effect. Clean unobtrusive malts comprise the foundation. Grapefruit is the only real citrusy note, limiting the complexity of the brew. It's all around a pleasant if somewhat simple IPA. No cream, yeast, or alcohol comes through (except as a warming sensation in the stomach in the case of the alcohol). Not particularly subtle or complex. Some interesting hop layering, but nothing truly remarkable. Too bitter.

Mf: Slightly oily from the hops. No real cream. A touch too thick and a bit overcarbonated. Nicely wet, though it grows a bit thin in the body. One criticism I have of the beer is its notable lack of a full body. It could use a bit more coarseness; it comes off as too smooth leaving the wet body feeling almost watery.

Dr: A nice little IPA that is pretty drinkable for its high ABV. That said, the grapefruit emphasis isn't ideal and the brew feels a bit simple. It drinks surprisingly fresh from the can. I probably wouldn't get this again unless I found it on-draught.

Drank fine out of me conical pint glass. I'd recommend the vessel.

Would pair alright with slightly spicy food. Perhaps tame Mexican.

High C

05-24-2012 01:50:09 | More by kojevergas
stlunatic15

3.03/5  rDev -24.8%

16 oz. can poured into a tulip.

A - Dark red-amber color, but fairly clear. Standard white head. Lacing all over the place.

S - Molasses, malt, and maple syrup. No citrus or hops at all whatsoever. The aroma definitely threw me off.

T - Hops, hops, and more hops. Jesus Christ, this is a hop bomb. Don't get me wrong, I love hops and I consider myself a hop head; but this beer is a bit over the top. Seems like Oskar Blues tended to lose their focus on the malt balance. I think they got a bit carried away.

M - Surprisingly a very nice mouthfeel for a large DIPA. Not too thick or viscous, but definitely not watery either. Drinkable body (for this kind of beer), with just the right amount of alcohol fumes in the finish.

O - I like this beer because it is strong as fuck and gets the job done, however it is definitely not worth the price. A 4-pack of 16oz cans goes for about $14 where I live. I'm sure I will buy it again once more down the road, but definitely not anytime soon.

10-16-2012 07:13:47 | More by stlunatic15
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

A: Poured a nice burnt orange color with good carbonation and a nice white cap, lots of bubbles and lacing

S: Pine resin, orange peel, green hops, vegetables and a light oniony notes

T: Orange peel, coriander, vegetables and some onion witha sweet caramel notes and breadiness. A light hint of booze, a little slick, bitter hops mid body

M: Medium bodied, sweet and a bit sticky

O: Not to shabby but the oniony taste really gets to me and diminishes my ability to finish the tall boy can

04-07-2012 21:30:19 | More by barleywinefiend
Cresant

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

Served this 16 oz. can in a Sierra Nevada Hops glass. Canned 4-05-12. I purchased this in Asheville 4-13-12, Wow! that's fresh. The body was clear with a pretty copper hue. The head was parchment colored and left a thin cap.

The smell was intensely pine needles. Pungent, almost BO like, earthy. Enjoyable.

The taste was not what I hoped for based on the aroma. The first thing that hit me was diesel fuel. Very malty balanced with funky hops. Very flavorful, but not really great tasting. Medium bodied. Finishes semi-dry. I really enjoyed regular Dale's Pale Ale but this one is not high on my list.

04-29-2012 14:00:11 | More by Cresant
OWSLEY069

3.1/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a clean orange-ish to amber color with an off white head. In the aroma, a small hop but a bit lacking. In the taste, mellow hops and a small hop presence. A small alcohol bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry small citrus and alcohol like aftertaste. Actually kind of lame, small hps and more boozy, eh!

03-31-2012 17:40:25 | More by OWSLEY069
morimech

3.1/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a clear copper color with just over one finger of head that had good retention before settling to a thick cap. Moderate amount of sticky lacing is left down the glass.

Not that appealing of an aroma to be honest. Sort of a combination of onion and dank vegetation. Not getting the citrus and pine other reviewers are noting.

I do pick up on some citrus and pine in the flavor but otherwise is dominated by dank bitterness. There is a nice bready malt base that saves the flavor for me.

Nice smooth carbonation and rich body. The overall texture is one of the better in the DIPA category.

I guess I am one of those unfortunate drinkers that this hop variety does not appeal to. It is nicely crafted and has some very good aspects, but to this drinker it is not particularly easy drinking.

05-06-2012 18:00:46 | More by morimech
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.1/5  rDev -23.1%

Pounder can picked up tonight at Brewforia on the way home from work. Paid a pricey $4.50ish... but oh well... new to me brew.

Poured into my HotD goblet.... 2 finger light khaki head... nice retention and lacing... the brew is polished orange.

Citrus hops and a bit of tropical fruit hoppiness seem weighed down by toasty maltiness... nothing special.

Flavor is also overwhelmed by toasty malt notes... still plenty of citrus hoppy goodness, but the malt is too much for a DIPA... bready maltiness dominates... and then a lingering bitterness tries to balance on the finish.

Given the malt on the palate, I am surprised that the body isn't overly heavy... carbonation seems about right, but more bubble would make this jump a bit more.

I highly doubt I will ever buy this one again unless I can score it on tap at Bitter Creek or The Front Door... Pretty puny across the board.

4/3/3/3.5/3

06-20-2012 06:12:10 | More by JohnGalt1
mactrail

3.13/5  rDev -22.3%

Dark orange-amber in the big Duvel tulip. Nice foam and lacing. Seems like it straddles the range between the standard big DIPAs and the increasingly frisky big IPAs.

Tart and citrusy, shading off into a bitter aftertaste. Quite acidic, a real gullet-scorcher. I don't see this as up to the standard of the other OB ales. Big flowery and piney nose is the best feature. Flavor flattens out, though the bitterness is within bounds. Just gets tiresome, it is such an intense hoppy flavor with no other interest surfacing.

16 oz can from Bottleworks in San Diego. Dated 02/24/12 on the bottom, which is nice to see on a can.

03-21-2012 06:10:09 | More by mactrail
StoutHunter

3.13/5  rDev -22.3%

I picked up a can of Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's IPA last week for $3.39 at The Lager Mill. I'm working my way through Oskar Blues lineup and since I'm in the mood for an IPA tonight I thought I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. Canned on 2/20/13. Poured from a 16oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a nice clean look to it. It poured a slightly hazy dark orange color that took on some amber and copper hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops that have a weird combination, I get some citrus, piney and floral aromas, but there's also onion and garlic aromas with an aroma that smells like what would happen if you roasted or charred some hops, it's a really weird combination that I'm not that into. I only pick up a slight grainy aroma from the malts other than that it's the hops that dominate this beer. The aroma was OK, it wasn't really bad, but I wasn't a fan of the garlic, onion, and burnt hops aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount followed by lots of hops that are just as weird as they were in the aroma, at first I get some floral and piney flavors, after that comes the garlic and onion flavors followed by some of what can only describe as roasted hops flavors and on the finish there's some nice citrus and fruit hop flavors that remind me slightly of fruit loops. I pick up a slight amount of grainy and bready malts, but just like the aroma it's the hops that dominate this beer. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a roasted hops and slight onion like aftertaste. This was an Ok tasting beer, but the onion and burnt hops flavors weren't for me, it has one of the most unique IPA flavors that I have ever encountered.

M- Fairly smooth, creamy, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer, I thought it was good.

All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer and I thought it was a pretty average example of an American IPA, the hop profile was so weird and unique in this beer, I have never had anything that tastes like it and I think it's either a love or hate type of thing, my brother seems to like it, but I don't feel the same way. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't overly bitter and it was fairly smooth, but the flavors didn't hold my attention and I think a pint can would be too much for me, splitting this is the way to go I feel that 8 ounces is about all I could handle. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked pretty nice and the lacing was pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was the onion, garlic, and roasted hop aromas and flavors, they weren't appealing to me and they felt out of place, but they really made this beer stick out from all the other American IPA's. I don't think I would buy this again, but I would like to see how some of my other craft beer drinking friends react to this beer, I'm pretty sure it's a love it or hate it type of thing, I wouldn't really recommend this beer but if you don't mind some onion and garlic in your beer this might be worth a try. All in all I thought this was one weird ass beer, I didn't find it to be undrinkable, but those onion, garlic, and burn hop aspects were a turn off for me, this just ins't the beer for me, but I could see how some people could like it. I appreciate the creativity from Oskar Blues with this beer, but it just didn't seem to flow together well and I'm still not sold on this brewery. This was a really weird beer, enough said. On a side note, i have have some hops growing in my garden and when i crush the hop cones between my fingers I get an aroma that is almost dead on with this beer, after looking it up I see that this beer has a good amount of Summit hops is in it, so i'm now thinking that there's a good chance that my unknown hops plants could be Summit hops, it's interesting.

03-29-2013 03:58:56 | More by StoutHunter
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

Into a pint glass:

A: hazy yet somewhat clear amber/red body with a two and a half finger white foamy head that dies after a minute leaving a decent amount of foamy clingy lacing

S: caramel, somewhat floral hoppiness, slighty piney

T: bittersweet, slight caramel, dry malty/piney aftertaste, super dry finish

M: medium, somewhat sessionable, carbonation seems to be a smoother than most AIPA's I've had (I wish I knew how old this is)

O: uh... honestly, this is just another AIPA to add into the mix of AIPA's, this isn't anything special to me. I'm still waiting to be impressed by Oskar Blues, hey guys its taking you awhile...

10-22-2013 10:24:26 | More by BeerKangaroo
Philousa

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Imbibed on tap at Original Gravity on 7/25/12. Reviewed from notes.

Opaque copper with stark white head. Big grapefruit, lemon, and lime in the nose. Malt is biscuity. Seems like it might be balanced. Taste is bitter start to finish. Piney and smacking of dry grass/weed. Clean, dry finish.

This is similar to many other IPAs I've had. Although it doesn't really stand out, it's still good just the same.

08-23-2012 17:50:28 | More by Philousa
Dools9

3.18/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured into a standard pint. Reviewd from notes on 4/1/12.

A: Pours a golden red orange color. Finger of slightly off white head, lots of lacing and good retention. Looks very nice.

S: This beer has a very powerful aroma, but to me its a very off putting smell. Lemon pinesol disinfectant comes to mind, astringent onions, very little malt to balance it.

T: Very bitter lemon/orange peel, bitter pine but not in a good way. Very drying and some of that onion comes through, little to no malt balance, bitter for bitterness sake.

M: Oily hops coat the mouth, medium bodied, semi crisp and smooth carbonation, a bit of booze as well.

O: I love a good ipa and have developed a taste for them the last six months or so. This one was just not my cup of tea. Hops to me were very chemically if that makes sense and I could not get over the pinesol nose and taste. A bit of a let down in my opinion.

05-20-2012 21:39:57 | More by Dools9
beagle75

Iowa

3.2/5  rDev -20.6%

Draft pour into a shaker pint glass at Famous Pizza in West Sedona, AZ.

A: Clear, medium amber color with one finger of lofty and very persistent turmeric-tinted foam head. Moderate fine lacing remains on the glass and sheets of bubbles rise through the column.

S: Dark citrus and pine suggest Chinook-style hop profile. The smell is mild in intensity, compared to the flavor, but focused. Surprisingly little malt comes through in the nose. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with pungent hop aromatics full of herbaceous spice and lesser mixed citrus fruit. Chewy caramel is also featured, while acidity is restrained. The middle extends the dominant spicy and caramel flavors from before as bitterness escalates a little early. The finish is full of strong, pure bitterness, but less of other flavors. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, resinous and warming on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Bold but rough, this beer is typical of those offered by Oskar Blues. Flavors give the impression of a great deal of late hop additions to the boil but not so much dry-hopping. While it isn't a spectacular IPA, it does take home the gold for head retention--possibly the best yet encountered. Otherwise, it reminds of Stone's Arrogant Bastard--a lot.

07-04-2012 19:57:14 | More by beagle75