Deviant Dale's IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Deviant Dale's IPADeviant Dale's IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-16-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Deviant Dale's IPA Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Pours a clear amber color with a fluffy 1 finger cream colored head. Leaves some sticky lacing down the glass.

S: A good amount of sweet citrus hops and caramel. Mango is pretty prominent.

T: Definitely a sweeter IPA. Lots of sweet citrus hops and some caramel malts. A touch of resin on the finish. Not bad at all.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.23/5  rDev +5%

16oz can poured into a pint glass.

A: Medium copper color with a very slight haze. One finger slightly off white head with amazing retention and super sticky lacing.

S: Awesome citrus upfront with pineapple leading the way, mango and tangerine mixing nicely. Grapefruit is non existent, just how I like my IPA's to smell. Touches of sweet caramel make this an amazing smelling beer.

T: Sweet caramel upfront and throughout the finish of this one. Pineapple citrus with hints of mango, tangerines, and grapefruit. Light touches of floral hops also. Bitterness is very light tho. I'd definitely like more kick to this one.

M: Medium light body. Medium carbonation. Damn creamy. Far from a dry finish.

O: It's a good beer and bordering on very good. Drinkable for 8%. But at the price point for a 16oz can? Don't know if I'll grab this one again.

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a orange to copper color with heavy lacing. Carbonation is there but not overly so, looks more creamy than crisp. Nice looking all in all.

Smell is a lot of what I would call musty hops. A little bit of citrus and pine as well, but mostly a heavy, musty, very hop-forward smell. I don't mind it, but it lacks that kind of refreshing quality that the best examples of this style have.

Taste is citrus fruit up front, then quickly delves into that musty/funky bite. I will give it the credit it deserves in that this is a beer where you taste the hops...a lot... but it doesn't finish particularly bitter. Not particularly sweet.

Mouthfeel is smooth enough, but a little more resinous that i'd like. Wish it were just a little more crisp.

Overall this is an above average DIPA, but given the price point and tall boy format (which i loathe) it is not one I will be returning to. It's not nearly as awful as Gubna, but it doesn't come close to touching their pils or Ten Fidy in terms of making great examples of the style.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured the 16 oz. can into a pint glass to a hazy orange-amber with little head. The smell of piney hop resin was very strong and indicated a hop-centric flavor profile. First couple of sips indicted pungent hop flavors, but little to no malt backbone. Frankly, this is hop juice; very one dimensional.... the taste was not what I expected...

I finished about half of the can and chucked the rest. I felt very unsatisfied, so I wanted to something to verify my opinion of this beer. Therefore, as a comparison, I immediately poured myself a Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Torpedo provided that balance and spicy hop flavor that I enjoy with IPAs.

Overall, Extra IPAs or IPAs are one of my favorites, but like a Jimmy Rollins at-bat it is a frustrating style to enjoy (Phils fans will understand what I mean). If I had to sum it up, Hop Wallop is perfect example of what Deviant Dale's SHOULD have aimed for.

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

Served this 16 oz. can in a Sierra Nevada Hops glass. Canned 4-05-12. I purchased this in Asheville 4-13-12, Wow! that's fresh. The body was clear with a pretty copper hue. The head was parchment colored and left a thin cap.

The smell was intensely pine needles. Pungent, almost BO like, earthy. Enjoyable.

The taste was not what I hoped for based on the aroma. The first thing that hit me was diesel fuel. Very malty balanced with funky hops. Very flavorful, but not really great tasting. Medium bodied. Finishes semi-dry. I really enjoyed regular Dale's Pale Ale but this one is not high on my list.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

on-tap at ebenezers ale house in west seneca, NY. served in a tall, skinny pint glass.

dark orange amber color, almost bronze. about a 1/4 worth of off white head, about average retention, average looking lace.

big fresh, dank pine resiny hops. vegetal, onion, tropical fruit, nugget like hops. hardly any malt detectable.

im liking the taste a lot. again, lots of dank vegetal hops at the forefront. pine resin, pineapple, mango, grapefruit citrus as well. just a bit of bready malt. the darker color is kind of decieving because this is pretty much all hops.

on the bigger side of medium bodied, lots of dank bitterness.

i enjoyed this a lot, really nothing like dales pale ale, but this has a nice range of many different hop flavors, lots of dank. reminds me a bit of nugget nectar.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

A: A nice golden brown color with a thin head that lingers a little bit on the glass. Not much in the way of carbonation.

S: Lots of fruits. I get a lot of mango and papaya.

T: Again the fruits are really hitting me. The mango and papaya taste is there for me with some resinous hop taste and bitterness.

M: Definitely a medium bodied IPA. Leaves a little coating on the tongue. Slight alcohol taste but not enough to overwhelm.

O: Its thick and has great fruity flavors in it, nice mouth-feel that enjoyable.

This is my first Oskar Blues offering and I'm happy I got it even though I paid an arm for it at $5 for a can in Philly. I can't get it where I am so I'm ok with it. Definitely lots of what I like, lots of fruity aromas and flavors. Its rich because of the mouth-feel but a nice drink.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.23/5  rDev +5%

Canned 3/20/2012

A - Crystal clear brilliant brown in color. Nice white head that lasts. Inviting.

S - Very much citrus forward hops in the aroma..peach, grapefruit, papaya, mango. Excellent smell on this one and very fresh.

T - Flavor is much more Earthy with flavors of sticky sap, tree resin, pine and very light caramel. The citrus flavors are much different than in the aroma and are much more delicate. Plenty pungent and bitter.

M/O - Medium body that has the right viscosity for the style. Maybe slightly under-carbed but that allows a lot of the alpha acids to come through more making the beer much more ripe. Aftertaste lasts a little while but doesn't stick to the palate. ABV is just right and makes it easy to drink. Very enjoyable.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a pint glass.

A-Pours with a very large, foamy head, started at about three fingers' height then settles to about one finger. Lots of lacing left on the glass afterwards. Great bronze color and transparency.

S-A bit subdued for what I would expect from an IPA, mellow citrusy hops aroma with no one note being particularly overpowering.

T-Slight carbonation on the front, good bit of orange peel or grapefruit taste in the middle, finishing into a more mellow bitter and dry hoppiness on the finish. Not much of a hint of alcohol, which is nice for a relatively high ABV IPA.

M-Coats the mouth well, and the low carbonation helps create a thicker mouth feel that helps the finish last for a while.

O-An above-average IPA for those who prefer citrus notes and low carbonation.

Deviant Dale's IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew