Deviant Dale's IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Deviant Dale's IPADeviant Dale's IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-16-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Deviant Dale's IPA Alström Bros
Steimie

07-04-2014 01:15:26 | More by SimonPuggle
davey101

Connecticut

2.55/5  rDev -36.7%

16 oz tallboy can into a pint glass. Canned on: 8-08-12 @ 09:46 "SPF-15000". Not sure how this got past EPA!

A - Dark and clear amber body.One finger soapy white head. Nice lacing and retention.

S - Orange juice, resinous pine, and danky onions. The onions do have a significant presence here which seems to overpower any traces of malt sweetness.

T - This is obviously not the IPA for me. Starts off with a very bitter and savory onion and dank flavor. Almost no sweetness. So much alcohol that its almost liquor like. Mouth feel is medium bodied with high carbonation, but the drinkability is low for me due to the flavor profile and alcohol.

O - I can't blame this on freshness as its not even three weeks old. Its a very savory and danky beer. I can't even tote this one to taste buds either because the alcohol presence makes for one unbalanced beer.

08-28-2012 01:30:05 | More by davey101
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.7/5  rDev -33%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

tallboy into large short's pint. Bottom of can reads 'STANDARD OF DEVIATION'.

A- Nice head, thick and creamy, eggshell white. Beer is a bit hazy, burnt orange. Looks pretty good to me.

S- This smells like dank, wet pine and some papaya as well.

T- Hop wallop on the tongue, very lemony and a bit skunk-y (not lightstruck'd). Bitterness is impressive and lingers. Malt sweetness is not insignificant but it still falls to the rear.

M- Alcohol is noticeable, a bit hot. Bitterness is sharp- perhaps a bit too abrasive. Bordering on solvent-y.

O- Meh, looks ok, smells ok, tastes ok, but it's not for me. It's not a bad beer by any means but it does little to excite me. Did not finish.

05-29-2012 00:31:55 | More by ShogoKawada

10-13-2012 18:19:07 | More by ripperltj
ArrogantB

Colorado

2.83/5  rDev -29.8%

Clear red-amber color, good head. I knew after the first whiff of this beer that it did not have a hop profile I was going to like. It smelled sort of like summit hops or maybe columbus adn made me instantly think of pepper and onions. It reminded me a lot of Gubna and Green Flash Imperial IPA. Flavor followed suit, added a chewy maltiness and was no good. I'm sorry I didn't like Gubna and I don;t like this at all. I'll stick to Gordon, Dale's Pale, and Mama's.

03-08-2012 01:58:23 | More by ArrogantB
tectactoe

2.88/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

After Oskar Blues' excursion onto my great state of Michigan, I was excited to finally grab some Deviant Dale's IPA, especially after really enjoying the lighter Dale's Pale Ale. I've had this both extremely fresh (two weeks old) and a little bit older (10 weeks old) and noticed almost no appreciable difference over this course of time. Beyond that, I can't tell you, but within 10 weeks, there is really no "drop off" at all.

Although I enjoy drinking canned beers straight from their vessel, I figured I'd pour the first one into a glass and see how it looks. It's a solid amber color that's mixed with some sun-burnt and burnt orange along the sides. It's pretty hazy and cloudy, though far from being completely opaque. The soapy-ish, off-white head drops some sticky webbing on the glass.

The aroma of Deviant Dale's is extremely pungent, almost to an excessive degree. Insanely piney and resinous, bursting with hot hop oils and a sharp injection of booze. It's "only" 8% ABV, but the booze has a somewhat abrasive fusel character that stings the nostrils maybe a bit too much. Some more mild grapefruit joins in the finish, along with a toasted-bread (but not quite caramely) malt bill, but the overly-pungent, dank ass hops steal the show, and that may not exactly be a good thing here.

Unfortunately, the taste follows through even more than the nose does, complete with incredibly spicy and pungent hops, hop oils, and pine notes. Bitter, resinous, and dank. The alcohol is, again, far too noticeable for this type of brew, especially when I've had plenty of 9-10% ABV brews where the alcohol was a mere afterthought. Some light onion and vegetal notes throw my palate for a whirl, as well. The malt shows a bit of caramel finally, as I would expect given the darker hue of the beer. Even at its strongest, though, it doesn't really put a dent in the dense hop flavor.

I'm all for resin, pines, hops, dank, etc., but in this capacity, it's almost far too much to thoroughly enjoy. Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but I can't believe this stuff is rated so highly. Unless people really enjoy oily pungency beyond belief, which I have a hard time believing. Coinciding with the flavor profile, the mouth feel is expectedly sticky and coating on the palate and teeth; medium-thick in body with medium carbonation.

Blah, I was sorely let down by this one, especially after having tried and liked the Pale Ale. I don't know what could have went wrong here, but the shear potency of the pines, resins, and oils were just too much for me to handle. The heavy fusel alcohol burn didn't help the drinkability at all, either. Just a weird brew that I don't exactly understand the love for. I know that palates are indeed different, but mine can't be this far off, can it? Perhaps sometime in the future I'll give it another whirl and see if it was a possible bad batch, but if my cans were in spec, then I just don't "get" this brew.

06-03-2013 16:38:13 | More by tectactoe
Steasy66

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

16oz can into imperial pint glass

A Burnt straw with 1 finger off white head
S Very floral hops, not much else
T Fruity and citrus hops, very sweet, too sweet for my taste, not balanced well by the bitterness.
M Very thick, very little carb
O I love me a sweet DIPA, but this is overboard, the sweetness is almost sugary, not much malt flavor, not good bitterness to balance things out

04-20-2012 02:59:46 | More by Steasy66
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.95/5  rDev -26.8%

11 ounce pour - $8.75 at Taco Mac in Canton, Georgia.

Appearance: Served a clear, copper body with a teeny, tiny white ring.

Smell: Pushes big notes of bread and booze with less than ingratiating hop notes of resins, headache powder, and pith.

Taste: Pale malts dialed up towards a sugary breadiness. A drizzle of pine sap dosed with aspirin tablets and the pith of lemons and grapefruit. Moderate bitterness. Has an expectedly bitter finish with a bit more alcohol-soaked bread with continued resins and pith into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-low carbonation.

Overall: Can I just have a Dale's Pale instead? Oooh, or a Gordon?? If anybody wants the last couple ounces of this, then knock yourselves out.

03-09-2012 15:01:57 | More by ChainGangGuy
EastBay_Nick

07-14-2013 06:03:14 | More by EastBay_Nick
Fcip78

Poured the 16 oz. can into a pint glass to a hazy orange-amber with little head. The smell of piney hop resin was very strong and indicated a hop-centric flavor profile. First couple of sips indicted pungent hop flavors, but little to no malt backbone. Frankly, this is hop juice; very one dimensional.... the taste was not what I expected...

I finished about half of the can and chucked the rest. I felt very unsatisfied, so I wanted to something to verify my opinion of this beer. Therefore, as a comparison, I immediately poured myself a Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Torpedo provided that balance and spicy hop flavor that I enjoy with IPAs.

Overall, Extra IPAs or IPAs are one of my favorites, but like a Jimmy Rollins at-bat it is a frustrating style to enjoy (Phils fans will understand what I mean). If I had to sum it up, Hop Wallop is perfect example of what Deviant Dale's SHOULD have aimed for.

04-29-2012 18:26:48 | More by Fcip78