Deviant Dale's IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Deviant Dale's IPADeviant Dale's IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-16-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Deviant Dale's IPA Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev -37.8%

4.77/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So, the readers give Deviant Dale's a 90 and the Bros - with whose ratings I generally concur - only rate it an 87. I love this ale! I'm a huge fan of DIPAs and Barleywines, and this is a hybrid of the two. I find it the optimal balance between malt and hop, sweet and bitter, breadiness and pineyness. And it's great that it comes in a pint can, because I'm not usually satisfied with only the first 12 ounces.

The color is a perfect IPA caramel, which is a hint of the flavor and aroma to come. The aroma is tangy and sweet - it would be a great aroma for sweet and sour pork at a Chinese restaurant. And the taste is sweet and caramel-y, but with pine notes popping through and a slyly late bitterness to the finish. There are no perceptible citrus notes, which contributes to its barleywine-like qualities.

I'm going to be having this over and over and over. It's a masterful accomplishment for Oskar Blues, and I appreciate the artistry behind it as much as the taste!

P.S. I reviewed this on July 2nd, checked my leave time balance, and decided that I should take the 3rd off. So now that my long weekend has started, I decided to put Deviant Dale's to the test, and compare it to Dogfish Head Burton Baton, which was in my fridge. BB is a blend of Dogfish 90 Minute and an oak-aged old ale. Its oak-y characteristics create a taste similar to Deviant Dale's so I thought it'd be a good comparison. The two have a lot in common. BB has a more hop-forward profile and a more bitter edge, DD is sweeter. I've always liked BB a great deal. If the truth be known, I like DD better. At my local craft ale shop, they're the same price for a four-pack, but the BB four pack is four 12 oz. bottles, the DD four pack is four 16 oz. cans.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

3.74/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Love the brewed-on-date stamped on the bottom of the can. As a fan of Gordon (G'Knight), I thought I'd give DD a try. Poured into a British pint glass for review.

Appearance: a hazy copper with a bulbous head; plenty of lacing the height of the glass.

Smell: lots of caramel with a hint of orange and grapefruit.

Taste: exactly as it smells; caramel sweetness, followed by citrus, and then the piney aftertaste. I am chugging this for an 8% A.B.V.

Mouthfeel: a little heavier than most IPAs. I wouldn't introduce a novice to the style with this one.

Drinkability: This is a go-to beer if I'm looking for portability, taste, and quality. Thanks Dales for using a pint can! A nice variation of the IPA style.

Deviant Dale's IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew