Vanilla Oak Aged Bourbon Old Chub - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

No picture uploaded.

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: thagr81us on 02-14-2011)

mctizzz, Jun 18, 2014

Axnjxn, Apr 06, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

rudabegga9, Apr 01, 2014

crowbar540, Dec 19, 2013
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

The brew appears a dark brown to deep mahogany color with a thin film of head that was initially a finger strong. Some webby patches of lace stick to the glass on each sip an a swirl brings a few bubbles back to the surface.

The aroma is quite sweet smelling with an initialy wack of vanilla that comes distinctively from both the vanilla bean inclusion and oak. A touch of alcohol is evident under the dark burnt sugars that smell of caramel, toffee and molasses.

The taste is just like you would expect from the aroma. Lots of dark residual sugars that taste borederline burnt. Caramel, toffee and molasses with a hint of fruity alcohol. Between all the dark sugar flavors is a solid sticky inclusion of vanilla that persists into the aftertaste.

This is a medium to full bodied brew with a light level of carbonation. I have no clue what the alcohok level in this was but it drank effortlessly. I had to cut myself off at one because I could have easily thrown back 3 or 4. Overall a nice twist on an already solid base brew.

stakem, Apr 12, 2012

Mantooth, Jan 22, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -14%

Had this at Duckworth's on Park in Charlotte.

When I saw this beer on the tap list, I knew it had to be awesome. I love anything from Oskar Blues, especially Old Chub. Throw vanilla and bourbon on top of that and you can imagine the magic. Sadly, it was better in my imagination than in the glass.

It was $3 tap night at Duckworth's (which by the way is incredible given their section of tappers), but this beer was excluded and rang in at $10 a glass. I was more than happy to pay for it, but very certain I would not do it again. In fact, if the server didn't come across as so knowledgable, I might have asked if she had served me the correct beer.

Much lighter in color than standard Old Chub. Lighter nose, and even less of a robust flavor.

Actually, I had a hard time pulling many of the big favors I expected from such a big experiment. Very light Carmel and molasses. No hint of Bourbon nor vanilla.

I agree with the prior reviewer who was thinking the beer might not be aging well.

Lots of promise for this beer, but simply no follow through. I was disappointed with this one, but i would love to try any other barrel experiments Oskar Blues puts on tap.

Mscarpen, Dec 28, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -14%

Tap at Duckworths Park rd. Amber/orange, nearly no head, few white bubbles.

Aroma, malty, caramel, toffee, vanilla.

Taste, quite a bit of fruit up front, a bit tart. Peaty fruitcake mix. Fades to nicer malt, toffee, vanilla and oak.

Light side of mid, not much carb but it's not that thick so it still drinks ok. Not the malty barrel bomb I would expect.

I bit underwhelmed by this one($). Might pay 4 for this, but certainly not 10 again.
Almost wonder if this is just not aging well, if it was made back with the cask in Feb.

Bung, Dec 09, 2011

Amalak, Nov 21, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

On-tap at Brewvival 2011.

Pours a hazy, dark, root beer brown. Aromas and flavors of oak, vanilla, bourbon, caramel and dark malt. Very oaky, with lots of high-quality bourbon flavor. Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation, but that's expected from the cask. Very drinkable, I had a huge pour of this because I asked the dude working the booth if it was proper to ask for a "Big Chub". Great times at Brewvival!

jsanford, Mar 03, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

Had while at Brewvival! Served from firkin into a sampler Brewvival imperial pint. Poured a deep dark brown with a minimal tan head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, vanilla, and slight alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, vanilla, slight alcohol, cream, and just a hint of caramel. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. The vanilla, oak, and bourbon really brought this brew to life. The flavor on this one being on a firkin made it REALLY smooth. I could have probably drank this all day given the chance. Everything in this one just seemed to work extremely well together. An absolute must try and one of the biggest surprises on the day for myself.

thagr81us, Mar 01, 2011