2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oaked Old Chub - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oaked Old Chub
No picture uploaded.

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: emmasdad on 04-04-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 36 | Reviews: 5 | Show All Ratings:
MrDonQuixote

3.55/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at Oskar Blues Tap Room

A- dark brown, nearly black with a light head

S- Oak smell, with espresso hints

T- whiskey taste, taste of oak from the barrel

M- smooth, nice finish

O- aged in Stranahan's barrels, so you know its good. Good for its style.

08-07-2011 04:34:27 | More by MrDonQuixote
Mora2000

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at the Holy Grail Pub.

The beer pours a dark reddish-amber color with a white head. The aroma is excellent. I get a lot of chocolate with some peat notes. I also get some toffee and maple notes which compliment the other aromas very well. The flavor is also very nice. The main flavor is a chocolate and toffee malt mixture. I also get some vanilla, peat smoke and maple notes from the oak aging. The alcohol is detectable and the beer is very easy to drink. Medium, creamy mouthfeel and light carbonation. An outstanding beer.

08-04-2011 01:12:01 | More by Mora2000
axeman9182

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

8oz pour at the Pony Bar.

This version of Old Chub was billed as having been aged on Hungarian Oak. It poured a fairly clear nut brown, with faint orange highlights. Nothing to suggest any head or lacing at all. As one might expect, the complete lack of foam does hinder the release of aromatics, and the nose is somewhat less pungent than I'd like. What is there though is rather intriguing, and is best described as smoky milk chocolate. I'm guessing a heavy helping of chocolate malt, augmented by caramel and some vanilla from the oak, and then just a touch of peat malt. The flavor uses that as a jumping off point and adds a splash of coffee to the proceedings. No problem with dull or muted flavors, that's for sure, and my notes summed this beer up as a "rich coffee-chocolate milkshake with a hint of smokiness". The body is is creamy and full as you might expect from a beer full of so much great malty flavor, but the carbonation, which should be subdued and at primarily as a barrier to keep the beer from coming across as syrupy, gets a bit uppity and overzealous at times. Of the 3 Oskar Blues beers I had at the Pony Bar (also Deviant Dale's and Old Double Bagger), this was the one I had the least anticipation for, but ended up by far being the best of the bunch.

05-12-2011 21:26:30 | More by axeman9182
JonathanG

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Had this on-tap at Freshcraft in LoDo. I have to preface this review by saying that I'm not a huge Scotch Ale fan. In general, I prefer hops over malt and grain. However, I decided I couldn't pass up the Oaked Old Chub.

(As a side note, Freshcraft had this labeled at 8.0%-ABV, if I remember correctly and I noticed there is no ABV listed on the description of the beer above.)

Didn't really take serious notes on this offering and pretty much tried it for fun. It did have some pretty heavy influence from the oak, tasting like whiskey barrels with the charred, caramelized flavors. Also a bit boozy on the nose, with drier malt and grain notes as well on the palate.

Would I drink this again? Maybe, but it wouldn't be a regular for me, again keeping in mind that my taste buds currently prefer pale ales, IPAs, and DIPAs. Not bad at all, just not so-much my style.

04-07-2011 18:54:50 | More by JonathanG
emmasdad

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Took my first trip up to Hops and Pies in the Highland neighborhood of Denver, because a friend told me they had this one on tap.
Poured from the tap a medium to dark brown with a nice cap of off-white foam on top. Aromas of caramel, roasted nuts, light peat smoke and dark fruit. On the palate this one is fairly full-bodied, with a little peat, some oak, dark fruit, chewy malt and alcohol.

04-04-2011 01:45:34 | More by emmasdad