G'Knight Imperial Red Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

G'Knight Imperial Red AleG'Knight Imperial Red Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Classified by the brewery as an "Imperial Red/Double IPA" 8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of G'Knight Imperial Red Ale Alström Bros
ACerevisaphile

1.5/5  rDev -63.6%

07-18-2014 00:46:32 | More by BLovell
ElCommodoro

1.58/5  rDev -61.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The brewery calls this an "Imperial Red," so I'm going to rate it against that description. BA has it listed as an imperial IPA. If Oskar had warned me that it was an IPA, I'd be more lenient, but they did no such thing. I'm a big fan of reds and that's why I bought it. So, I'm a little cheesed off that none of the goodness of a red ale was present.
The colour was hardly red. It looked like a typical amber, with a fluffy amber-style head. The smell was simply awful. Like a full lawnmower bag that sucked up too many pine needles. The taste had way too much of that smell in it. It tastes like grass growing out of an evergreen tree, with sap dripping all over it. It was icky. If there were any malty, or toasted qualities that make a red ale so delicious, they were completely and utterly masked by this abysmal flavour. I seriously can't taste a damn thing under that over-hopped madness.

01-28-2013 08:57:22 | More by ElCommodoro
JoshRadTxist

Wisconsin

1.88/5  rDev -54.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I don't believe it but I had Gordon before & liked it. Actually poured this one though (because I want to end the night on a higher note), and now I will not be buying Gordon again.

A: Amber

S: One-note good heavy malt bill, barely accentuated with the spicy hops.

T: Sweet, unbalanced. Plus, a weak and troubling solventy aftertaste evident in this batch. Mishandling or what?

M: A little squishy in the finish.

D: F- it.

Batch 6-30-10. Sorry, was not good.

09-19-2010 04:37:34 | More by JoshRadTxist
BGsWo22

03-19-2014 18:48:14 | More by BGsWo22
jucifer1818

11-30-2012 03:50:51 | More by jucifer1818
jmarsh123

Indiana

2.03/5  rDev -50.7%

Was excited to try this as it got great reviews as an Imperial Red which is a style right up my alley. Boy was I disappointed.

Pours a deep garnet with off white head dissipating fairly quickly. Lots of lacing down the side of the glass. All downhill from here.

Nose is of heavy caramel/brown sugar. Hardly any hops detectable, maybe a bit earthy but malt overpowers.

Taste offers litte in the way of hoppiness either. Sweet caramel malt overpowers throughout finishing with a brown sugar aftertaste.

Very thick syrupy beer and way unbalanced in favor of malt. Any more than a 12 oz. can and I'm not sure I could've finished it. This is really a mess and I can't agree with the consensus at all. One of the worst beers I had on my west coast trip.

07-25-2011 12:46:33 | More by jmarsh123
charlzm

2.17/5  rDev -47.3%

Consumed 06/19/08 during Lucky Baldwin's IPA fest.

Deep burnished copper color. Less than one finger of white head, but lacing is excellent.

Smells of green, earthy hops.

A bit of malt sweetness, almost toffee. Same hop character from the nose. Also features oxidized and ammonia notes. Kind of like eating cardboard from a cat litter box.

I did not care for this one at all.

06-21-2008 14:21:06 | More by charlzm
caminato80

2.26/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

A saccharine brew; an imbalanced amount of molasses flavor out-muscles what little piney hops and malt it has to offer. Too sweet, too sticky. Hides its Abv well but unfortunately at the cost of its taste. I would have liked a bolder, drier more robust brew for an imperial IPA. A good effort, but an awkward compromise with a sweet sticky red ale.

02-08-2013 23:28:03 | More by caminato80
LarryV

2.4/5  rDev -41.7%

Aroma is raw, hoppy - reminds me of homebrew wort. Pours with a decent head that lingers for a bit. Taste is raw, hoppy without much of a malt backbone to balance it. The second one I had was a drainpour, I didn't care for this brew at all. At $11.50 for a 4 pack, this beer is WAY overpriced.

12-07-2008 19:36:16 | More by LarryV

Connecticut

02-01-2012 03:09:55 | More by jfcaa193
HalfFull

2.55/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured on tap into a pint glass, this beer pours a rich amber color with a moderate head. I soon sense that the amber color is likely from the crazy amount of rich dark malts in this brew. Not as sweet as Dale's Pale Ale, yet it seems to be just a variant of Dale's. Needless to say, I've never seen an IPA anywhere near this dark.

Smell is unusually malty for an IPA, yet offers some muted hop scents. Taste is bland, muted, sugary. Feel is that of light oily syrup on the tongue. Sweeter even than a Maharaja or 90 Minute and yet offers nowhere near the complexity.

A poor example of the style in my opinion.

06-20-2008 06:37:14 | More by HalfFull
JerseyKirk

2.58/5  rDev -37.4%

Served from a Gordon can...not G'Knight.

A: Poured a less than 1 finger off white head. Beer looks cloudy and deep amber. Cannot see through it.

S: I know this is an odd thing to say but it smells like shampoo. A musky odor that isn't pleasant. Malty citrus in the background.

T: Tastes sweet and malty. There is some alcohol present in the back. Notes of lemon are subtle too. Somewhat tastes like an old fruit roll-up.

M: Carbed and full bodied. Not too drying but alcohol is definitely present.

O: Would never drink again. Not impressed. Honestly was surprised how much I disliked the beer given it's hype. Maybe I'm just not a high gravity amber guy.

*Paired with turkey lasagna.

07-12-2011 19:44:47 | More by JerseyKirk
sweetbrew82

2.63/5  rDev -36.2%

12 oz. bottle into a snifter/ no freshness date

P: Deep tangerine-infused amber with just the slightest film of foam on top, even after a vigorous pour. It's just not impressive-looking at all with big, soapy bubbles on top and no lacing to speak of. The apparent lack of carbonation has me a bit worried.

A: No doubt, the lack of any head on top of this brew is hindering the strength of the aroma, but what's there is respectable. Initially, a boatload of caramel sweetness hits me upside the head along with a toasted biscuity malt. As for the hops, the pine-scented variety is the most dominant, followed by citrus in a distant second. I also get some toffee and the slightest hint of chocolate in there, too.

T: Initially, I realize that this is a hop-forward brew, but only by the slimmest of margins. A resinous pine-flavored hoppiness is most evident, followed by some citrus notes that taste like grapefruit and pineapple. But as the mouthful progresses, the toasted caramel malt becomes humongous, too much so in my opinion, and overthrows the hops with brute force. It combines with the overly-sweet toffee to concoct a cloying sweetness that just overwhelms me over the course of the glass. As if that wasn't enough, the chocolate malts add another layer of sweetness (although subtle) that sends me over the edge. This tastes more like an Imperial Red than it does an DIPA, and a ridiculously sweet Impy Red at that. I just don't get what they were going for here.

M: Gordon is a medium-bodied beer that seems smooth enough, considering how 'still' it is in appearance. But, the carbonation seems fine on the tongue, which has me more than a bit confused. Having said that, it offers no silk to its smoothness, nor does it offer up any rich creaminess or even the slightest amount of chewiness to speak of. Regardless of whether or not it's a DIPA or Imperial Red, it's sub-par for the style as far as I'm concerned.

Notes: Boy, I really wish I knew how old this can was. I can't help but wonder if this beer is just past its prime, or if the beer just simply isn't within my realm of what I would consider tasty beer. It didn't look very impressive at all, it's waaaay too sweet, not nearly hoppy enough, and the chocolate malts just seemed really out of place. Now, do you see why freshness dates are so important? If I knew this beer was old, I wouldn't review it. But with no way of telling, I have no clue if that is a factor or not. As is, I have to review the beer sitting in front of me, and the beer sitting in front of me is not very good at all. But, since they make one of the best IRS's (Ten Fidy), I will have to track down a can that I know for a fact is fresh and update the review, just to give them the benefit of the doubt. As is, though, not recommended.

09-11-2009 09:50:51 | More by sweetbrew82
mrasskicktastic

2.68/5  rDev -35%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Light auburn with a large frothy head and tons of gorgeous lacing. A very slight haze, but clear for the most part.

S - Pure hop resin. Pine and just a touch of herbal aroma. No malt.

T - Very, very medicianal - like a medicinal cherry, but without the cherry. There is a bit of pine hops as well. Almost like a medicinal blackberry schnapps. Not a good flavor at all.

M - Fairly smooth, pretty refreshing, medium bodied.

D - Meh, its taste is all medicinal - definitely not something I would want to have again, but at least it is finishable. Smells nice.

04-07-2007 05:02:13 | More by mrasskicktastic
ibbjamin

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

Paid $10.49 for a 4 pack of 12oz bottles from BevMo in San Jose, CA. As indicated on bottom of can, this was canned on 11-13-08. Poured into a small snifter with one pour.

This beer yields a small head of less than a quarter inch after an aggressive pour. Slightly cloudy amber/orange color. Minimal carbonation. No retention. Minimal lacing.

Smell is quite strong and well balanced. There is a good malt backbone to this DIPA. The alcohol could be better hidden for its ABV. Hops are well balanced and could be fresher and stronger. Adjunct/raw aromas put turn me off a bit.

Taste is pretty well balanced, but I'm missing the hop character I look for in a DIPA.

Mouth is average for a DIPA. Lacks good carbonation, which in turn affects its drinkability. Medium body. Light aftertaste.

Did I get a bad batch? Wow, this is VERY unimpressive.

03-25-2009 02:53:26 | More by ibbjamin