Follow our progress ...

Classified by the brewery as an "Imperial Red/Double IPA" 8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2003

Reviews: 1,336 | Ratings: 3,833
3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

a - deep copper/rust color, big billowing white head with great retention and lacing, slightly hazy

s - big piney and grassy hop aroma, subdued malt backbone, slight hint of alcohol

t - like the aroma, big grassy hops up front, slight citrus, orange, nice maltiness in the middle with the finish being made up of big piney hops, not much alcohol detected, finish is long and bitter

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, not overly dry

d - pretty drinkable, finish isn't overly dry and the taste is interesting, alcohol not evident in the taste

Very good DIPA overall. I hope they start distributing this in NC pretty soon. The only complaint I have is the price...a bit too pricy in my opinion.

3.79/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

After trying the Oskar Blues Old Chub the other night, I am bound and determined to drink my way through all the rest of the OB beers. Tonight, we have the Gordon DIPA.

Pours well out of the can. Rich and creamy one-finger head atop an amber-hued body. The foam fades relatively quickly, but doesn't entirely dissolve. Wow, what an aroma for a DIPA! Smooth and sweet, but not the piney, citrusy aroma I have grown accustomes to associating with most big IPAs. This one has a very strong caramel presence in the bouquet. A bit musty too. Kinda like the Old Chub in both respects. They couldn't possibly use the same yeast strain for both the Chub and the Gordon could they? It's probably just the malts used. Either way, it creates a fantastic aroma and a pleasant surprise for an IPA of this magnitude. The hops are clearly present in the taste. Mellow and chewy, with a nice smooth hoppy bitterness. Some chocolate and coffee. Definitely some caramel seeping in at the edges. This is a fine IPA, but definitely not my favorite. They do a nice job masking the alcohol here, but it could really come back to haunt you if you're not careful. Overall, a nice beer, but I'd gladly take an Old Chub over this one just about any day.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

This is one of the more easy drinking Double IPAs you will find. It is pleasant and approachable and yet full of hop flavor. While it may be middle of the road for DIPAs it is one of the best beer you will ever find in a can. How many 8.7% ABV Hoppy beers can *you* find in a can? Probably not a lot. I love this one and enjoy it every time. The interesting thing is when my BMC drinking freind stopped by this evening he looked in my drawer and said "what is that one? That looks more my speed." Why? WT_? that made no sense to me but he chose it and tried it and kind of liked it. =) Marketing in can. hmm. I Like craft beer in can regardless what anyone says.

Appearance: Pours clear copper with a white head.

Smell: Bitter pine hops. Spicy. hint of smokiness with a light caramel malt backbone.

Taste: Malty sweet and fruity, with loads of caramel. A solid citrus pine hop attribute but as DIPAs go this one borders on the balanced-to-sweet side of the scale. Pineapple and grapefruit and camel and more depth in a can than I have ever experienced. Gotta love it.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied beer, creamy and smooth.

Drinkability: I hope my brother-in-law Topher takes me fishing again this summer so I can bring a case of this stuff =) well at 8.7% maybe that is a bad idea. It goes down like it is much less but it could be dangerous.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Wonderful look with nice pale colored head two fingers thick that sat high up and a red-orange slightly hazy base.

S: The smell is good and hop filled. You smell lots of malt and citrus, pine, grapefruit, pear, and dirt.

M: Heavy feel with the malts. Little carbonation which makes it too easy to drink.

T: Yum. That's it. I'm a fan of malty IPA's and this one does the trick. Really well balanced with hop vs. malt. Citrus front that blends with vanilla, orange, and a yeasty feel. Slight bitterness throughout that slims slowly. Red goodness from a can and at $10 a four pack I'm going to go broke.

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

I'm a big fan of Dale's Pale Ale so I had to try a four pack of Gordon even though it was $10.99. It poured a nice red color with a solid two inch head. Excellent hoppy aromas. The malt background did not give in to the high IBU's, nor did it create a warming flavor. I would say it is well balanced, but I typically like the hops to be a bit stronger than the malt in this style (e.g. Hercules Double IPA or 90 Minute IPA). A solid offering, but definitely not a session beer at 8.7% ABV. I still prefer Dale's Pale Ale as my standard.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Beer pours a bright clear amber color, with a nice looking head.

Aromas are slightly sweet, bitter, and pine like.

Flavors are full, and well rounded. Beer has a clean and sweet malt flavor up front. It is slightly creamy character to it. The finish is a bit crisp, and with a somewhat bitter flavor. Flavors are a bit muted, there are good flavors, but they just seem to be a little dull.

Mouthfeel is very good on this one. Very full bodied.

I wish more brewers used cans. This is a good and tasty DIPA. And if this were available to me, I would take this camping and backpacking.

This great little can was courtesy of blitz134. Thanks!

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

Double IPA from a can? Now I've seen everything...
Pours with lovely colour and fairly substancial head. Clear but deep caramel amber colour. Incredibly hoppy aroma. Green and fresh hops. Certainly doesn't taste the almost 9%, balanced and plenty hoppy. Carbonation good, with bitterness well under control. Really nice composure. This drinks like a regualar IPA. Sterdy malt in the backbone, this is the best beer I've had from a can. Big thanks Harry!

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Gordon pours a hazy reddish copper with a tan head that leaves a thick lace as it recedes. It came in a twelve ounce can. The aroma could be better and stronger. Taste on the other hand is nice, there is a strong caramel malt flavor and a strong resiny hop flavor balancing nicely against it. Best beer I've ever had out of a can, hands down. Definitely worth a try.

Had this with lunch today at Capone's.

Dark amber color with a thin tan head. Loads of lacing worked down the glass.

Pine hops, grass, and toffee make up the aroma. Earthy, sweet scent that got stronger as it warmed up some.

The flavor was sweeter than I remember it was from the can. Not as sweet as a 90 minute, but close. Hops are the selling point, but they are balanced by the sweet, sugary toffee malts.

Very enjoyable, easy drinking DIPA.

4.18/5  rDev +2%

12 ounce can poured into a 20 ounce nonic.

A - Pourrs out a fairly clear reddish amber with about a finger of off white head. Nice rings of lacing on the pint glass.

S - Hops come through with some citrus fruity aromas along with a flowery smell.

T - Taste is much more malty than expected. This really has a sweet taste of caramelly and biscuity malts with some hops providing some bitterness but mainly a nice balancing act is struck here. Finishes rather clean with a slightly sweet aftertaste.

M - Nice sticky, fairly full feel in the mouth.

D - Very drinkable. Not the type of flavor I expected but some nice tastes and very smooth feel make this one you'll like to sip on.

Notes: hmmm. Definitely unexpected flavorwise. I really wonder if this should be listed as more of an American strong ale or maybe an amber. Either way this is simply a tasty brew and definitely something nice to sip on for a while.

On tap at Capone's in Norristown...
Appears a semi-transparent dark amber with a light tan head that quickly fades out. Tons of scattered lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of pine, caramel, grassy, citrus, brown sugar...very sweet in the nose.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a bit of a raisin flavor going on in there as well. Again, it's very sweet, even bordering cloying with the pine and brown sugar. Not too bad but not knocking my socks off either.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, seemingly under-attenuated, fizzy, and sweet.
I was expecting a little more judging from some of the ratings but now that I look at the overall average...I guess my opinion isn't too far off base.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

First saw this beer a few weeks ago mixed with the quality beers at a local store. I'm embarrased to admit my first reaction was that of the typical ignorant consumer - "if it comes in a can it can't be that good" - and wondered how they could charge $3.50 a can while passing it over.

However, my curiosity was piqued, so I took the time to read some reviews here. After seeing the nice comments and ratings decided to pick one up. I know enough about beer to realize that there is nothing technically preventing a good beer from going in a can, so I now am embarrased by my initial reaction. Bravo to Oskar Blues for blazing a new trail - great craft beer in a can!

It's without a doubt the best beer I've ever had from aluminum. Has the hop character of a double IPA, but also has a huge, juicy malt character. Beautiful pieces of vanilla and butterscotch interplay with a delicate hoppy character. Really a nice beer.

Don't let the can and weird, generic-looking labeleing fool you. This is a wonderful beer worth seeking out.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Dark caramel color. A touch cloudy and a little bubbly. Fat, fuzzy off-white head and thick lacing. Smells of heavy piney hops and booze.

Pleasantly balanced malt and mildly citrus hops taste. Dullish bitterness. No sign of all that alcohol. Very smooth mouthfeel, but it strays toward thin. Carbonation is pretty much absent.

The can adds real appeal. I'd love to show up somewhere with a sixer of this stuff, but it's so pricey in Wisconsin. An easy drinker for 8.7 percent ABV.

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

Just finishing my last sips as I write this. Had this one in a growler on tap at Beerkraft in Park Slope a few months back when it first came out and thought it exceptional. So I picked up a 4-pack.
Big hopped-up flavors and aroma...and that powerful alcohol feel measured up to the Dogfish 90-Minute. I'm drinking one from the can right now and it is not blowing me away with the balance I remember.
Aroma= floral, citrus, nice
Head= dense, leaving significant lacing on my glass, impressive
Taste= a little thinner than I remember, nice big hop bite in the finish but not a whole lot up front.as far a malt
Overall= I'd like to try this again on tap if I can ever find it.
Go out and try this...preferable at cellar temperature or about 55 degrees

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

2/18/2007 $14.25 4 pack 8.70% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a lovely amber that is startingly clear and topped by a finger's worth of tight off-white head that clings to life for quite a while.

Aroma:

Thick resiny pine aromas coupled with wafts of grapefruit and English toffee. Notes of alcohol are apparent in the background.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Let this put any "beer in a can haters" to rest: this stuff rocks! Chewy, jammy sticks to your tongue mouthfeel introduces one heck of a hopbomb. Hop character leans heavily towards the herbal/pine flavors with just a touchy of grapefruit juice thrown into the mix. Beer is balanced nicely by a sweet (though muted) malt backbone.

Malts are biscuity and toffee in flavor, and pair beautifully with the harshness of the hops, to even everything out into a very enjoyable beer. Alcohol creeps in towards the finish, and warms throughout.

An excellent beer, though expensive at over $3.50/12 oz. Alcohol catches up to you after not too long, and so this is definitely not to be consumed in bulk.

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a dark amber color with a thick sticky white head. The aroma is a perfect 5! There are fresh hops-a-plenty in the nose with a nice backing of sweet malt. Upon the first sip, the deliciously citrus and piney hops just explode in your mouth! Behind the delicious hops there is a very nice malt backbone that keeps you craving more. The mouthfeel is medium-full with a good amount of carbonation. Overall, this is certainly right up there with any of the top IIPA's in the world. Outstanding!

3.91/5  rDev -4.6%

This is my first review of beer in a can. I can't believe I've never reviewed canned beer before. I was really excited to see this beer in Florida after reading about the resurgence of canned beer. And I can say this is the most expensive canned beer I've ever had.

It's a beautiful red with several inches of sticky head and plenty of carbonation.

It has a nice, pungent hop aroma that reminds me of Cascade hops. The aroma is more earthy-hoppy than citrus- or floral-hoppy, if that makes sense.

It tastes lovely: Plenty of malt sweetness is balanced by a sharp hop bitterness. There are biscuit flavors that interact with earthy notes and a bit of alcohol.

The body is light and crisp with just a bit of slickness from the alcohol.

Overall this is a fine Double IPA and even neater considering it's in cans. Bring this on your next fishing trip and surprise your buddies.

4.29/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from...well, you know. Tasted next to Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster.

Again, the color is a deep, rich red but the orange seems a little more prevalent than the brown this time. Lacing holds up well. Smell is citrusy. I read that this brew uses Amarillo hops and would guess that the citrus component comes from this. Could be wrong. Taste is hoppy which is much different from Terrapin's balanced offering. The taste on this is quite addicting. There's no pine flavor as found in some other hoppy DIPAs. The citrus flavor is just awesome. Mouthfeel just a tad weak. Drinkability is quite high. Garrett Oliver wasn't lying when he deemed this brew a "Virtual essay in hop flavor and aroma" (per OB website).

App. - 4, Smell - 4, Taste - 4.5, Mouth - 3.5, Drink - 4.5

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: a burnt orange color with a two finger head that lasts quite a while. Nice lacing develops on the glass.

Smell: caramel, citrus, and some bitter tones.

Taste: big flavors here - oranges, floral bitterness, sweet ripe fruitiness, caramel candy, and hints of alcohol. A nice malty beer from a can.

Mouthfeel: crisp from the start to finish. Medium bodied. Long aftertaste as the bitterness sticks to the tongue.

Drinkability: a great beer here. For those places bottles won't cut it - this is the beer to get, but don't forget the higher alcohol content.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

Sampled from a 12 oz can, poured into a chalice at 40 degrees. Picked up in a trade from cburian - thanks!!

A - Pours a cloudy amber color with a medium off-white head and good carbonation. Lacing got stickier as the beer diminished.

S - Big whiff of grassy hops with sweet malt in the background. Some citrus hints in there as well.

T - Alcohol comes through towards the end, which is a nice addition to the very juciy and grassy hops. Sweet caramel & malt counter the bitterness very nicely. Detected some nutty notes in the background. Very well-balanced.

M - Medium body with a crisp but bitter finish. Warming alcohol followed closely.

D - Not as overly hoppy as I expected, but definitely more balanced than other DIPAs I've had lately; sweeter than most others, too. I can see this making for a good session beer, if there is such a thing for DIPAs.

Thanks to Crosling for this can as an extra in a trade. Opens with a slight pop and pours dark amber with some head. Smell is a bit odd: hoppy and piney. The pine flavor is a little overwhelming and a little slick for my tastes but the beer still works. It is smooth going down and drinkable. The ABV is not noticed. Not my favorite DIPA but a worthy one.

Cheers.

3.67/5  rDev -10.5%

Damn fine beer from a can, via trade with JAYW. Deep, dark, and thick in appearance; not much air escapes when I crack the can, and I think the thick malts could use a touch more carbonation, which brings down the drinkability. It's sticky, resiny beer, and in a very good way. Mostly cascade hops carry the bitterness, which is full of lively dried fruits. A bit chewy. I'd recommend this one very cold. Reminiscant of Pete's Wicked Ale circa 1994, but definately taken up a notch or two. A good call for hopheads who like a malty full body, and a fine brew to help smash sterotypes and redefine the can. Cheers!

4.02/5  rDev -2%

This one pours a nice looking amber colour with a pretty big head that is creamy looking and leaves a fair amount of residue on the glass, although not as much as one might expect from a double IPA.

The aroma was a bit perplexing to me. A whiff of the empty can provides a big piney and floral hop aroma mixes nicely with some sweet caramel. However, a whiff of the brew from the glass gives off a much more subdued aroma, one that is still good, but that is lacking a bit in the hop burst that was anticipated and in its stead there is still some hop aroma, but more so the sweetness from the caramel, some berries and a hint of malt as well.

The flavour gets hoppier as each sip progresses. The start is sweet and a tad juicy, with the middle adding in a touch of the hops and the finish being the hoppiest and a bit more rough in hop flavour than sweet as the aroma had previously dictated. The hop burps are nice and piney as well. Alcohol isn't the faintest bit noticeable. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit oily and slick. Pretty good overall although I'd have liked it to have a bit more pop.

This was good stuff in the end. It's very drinkable, full of flavour and just well crafted. It's a bit of a different Double IPA. It doesn't smack you over the head with huge flavour or an overabundance of hops, but instead comes at you with a solid, well balanced amount of flavour. Good stuff.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

Honestly, I liked the Dale's Pale Ale much better than this. Both are damn good beers, but this one lacks the balance and overall drinkability of the Dale's. Thanks to dogfooddog for sending it. As much as I really wanted to try the Old Chubb he also sent, I thought it would be a better idea to follow the Dale's with Gordon.

The beer pours to a dark amber with a light golden hue. Just a few shades darker than the Dale's. The head isn't nearly as big and retentive as with it's little brother. Carbonation is decent, however, as is the lacing.

The smell was evident as soon as I pulled back the tab on the can. Piney and sticky hops with a hint of citric. Also bready with a hint of dairy creamer.

The taste is very similar. Just a small step up from the Dale's in terms of hoppiness. More piney and citric, but less floral. Still has a very doughy finish, but the bitterness doesn't linger as long, having been replaced by a more citric amarillo finish. A little more bite from the alcohol. Still has a bit of a creamy taste to it, though it is a bit more covered up by the hops in this brew.

Oddly enough, the body doesn't seem to be as big as with the Dale's. Could be the perception of alcohol and the fact that the creaminess isn't as noticeable. Drinkability suffers due to higher gravity and less smooth bitterness. Still a good beer, but I stand by my statement that I'd drink a Dale's over this anyday.

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

I may fall more in the minority with my review. Fascinating beer in a can for sure. Way to far into the pine hop effect for my preferences. The nose and taste were predominantly pine. A touch of light to medium bodied malts support the pine but to me it was all about the pine. I prefer more of a citrus / pine to citrus combination.

G'Knight Imperial Red Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew