G'Knight Imperial Red Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

G'Knight Imperial Red AleG'Knight Imperial Red Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Classified by the brewery as an "Imperial Red/Double IPA" 8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of G'Knight Imperial Red Ale Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

16 oz can poured into a tulip
Sadly this was bottled on 10-16-02 (a wee bit old)

A- A lightly hazed deep orange. A half finger of an off tan head.

S- A big caramel note in this beer. A malty dark fruit presence. A slight floral note and what remains of what was surely a lot of hoppiness.

T- A slight bitterness at first but an overall clean and crisp flavor. A big caramel presence and toffee at first. There is a lot of dark fruit in this beer and a nice grapefruit presence. A slight floral hoppiness but not at all like I assume it once was. A nice balance to this beer and remains very drinkable.

M- A sticky mouthfeel. It has become and big, thick, malty beer over time.

O- A solid beer, I assume this was quite hoppy. Not anymore, but the malt has come though and made this something quite nice.

TwelveOunces, Apr 03, 2013

Falcone, Apr 02, 2013
4.64/5  rDev +12.6%

16 ounce can poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a mostly clear amber color with a two finger head and excellent lacing.

S: Sweet malts up front along with some nice floral and citrus hops to balance it out. There are also some mild bready aromas in the end. Smells nice and inviting.

T: Very much like the smell, the first thing I taste are the sweet malts balanced nicely with the florall and citrus hops. Not too hoppy and not too understated...just right. The alcohol is completely hidden.

M: This is on the thicker side of medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. Ridiculously smooth!! Just about perfect.

O: This is a very enjoyable offering from Oskar Blues. Very tasty, well balanced, super smooth, and packs a decent punch. Nice job!!

nUgZ, Apr 02, 2013

Celtics76, Apr 02, 2013

drummermattie02, Apr 02, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

beercanman, Apr 02, 2013

fearfactory, Mar 31, 2013

Ajlvt, Mar 30, 2013
3.89/5  rDev -5.6%

I picked up a can of Oskar Blues G'Knight Imperial Red Ale last week for $3.39 at The Lager Mill. I'm still working my way through the Oskar Blues lineup and I randomly chose this one o try tonight, so lets see how it goes. Canned on 2/20/13. Poured from a 16oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks pretty nice, I think the green and silver colors look good together, but I'm not too sure about the name. It poured a nice bright amber color that took on some red and ruby hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of nice lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by lots of hops, it's a nice combination of floral, resiny, and citrus hops with the citrus seeming to stick out just a little more than the others and it imparts some grapefruit and pineapple like aromas. Up next comes the malts which are pretty sweet and impart a mild grainy and bread like aromas that seem to be a little overpowered by the hops. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish the malts stuck out just a little more to bring better balance to the aroma, It's got more IPA than Red Ale aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops that are the same mixture that I got in the aromas with the citrus hops still sticking the most and imparting some nice grapefruit like flavors. Up next comes the malts which seems to show up a little more then they did in the aroma and they impart some slight grainy and bready flavors with just a slight bit of caramel. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness that's slightly on the lighter side, and it has a floral and citrus hops aftertaste with some malts also showing up. This beer tasted good, it was much more balanced than the aroma led me to believe, i liked it.

M- Smooth, creamy, a little crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied, and it had a lower amount of medium carbonation that was just barely enough. I thought the mouthfeel was nice, but it could have used just a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a hoppy Red Ale, I got worried when I got to the aroma since it was very IPA like, but when I got to the taste there was enough Red Ale aspects to balance out the hops and it makes this beer truer to style. This beer had decent drinkability, it went down smooth, and the flavors held my attention, but they didn't really keep me coming back for more, so I think one pint can would enough for me, I don't think I would want two in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and how balanced it was when it came to the taste, both of those aspects were pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was the lower amount of carbonation, I think a little more carbonation would make for a pretty good mouthfeel. I don't know if I would buy this beer again, I for sure wouldn't rule it out if I was in the mood for a hoppy Red Ale, but I don't think I would seek it out. I recommend trying it if your a fan of hoppy Red Ales, it's good for what it is. All in All this was a pretty decent beer, I didn't love it, but I sure didn't hate, but I still think Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale is my favorite of the style. This was a pretty Solid beer from Oskar Blues, but I have yet to find one that I really like, maybe that beer is right around the corner, who knows, but for now I'm still on the fence about this brewery,

StoutHunter, Mar 30, 2013

soroka24, Mar 28, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

SmellsofMahagony, Mar 27, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Canned 2/20/13 "Happy G’Birthday!"

Appearance: Like any other Oskar Blues product, crystal clear. This one has a color you’d expect -- red. The head is off-white, meringue-like, and about a finger high. Lacing is spotty but nice.

Smell: A very nice blend of hops, and it’s hard to pinpoint one aroma that I’m getting out of it ... the "aftersmell" is super sweet, which is the best part about it. After digging for a little while, I finally decided that this beer has a pretty significant pineapple and tropical fruit aroma.

Taste: Malty flavors coat the mouth quite a bit thanks to the fact that this is a red, but the intense amount of hops balance that sweetness extremely well. Peppery, spicy hops burn the back of the tongue just a little bit, and I find that it’s a great way to make sure the malt isn’t too dominant. The finish is a tad bitter, but the front is pretty sweet, so again, very nice balance here overall.

Feel: The feel on this one is nearly perfect -- it’s a pretty big beer (ABV wise and someone heavy in the feel as well), and it almost drinks like a meal. At the same time, the drinkability on this one is crazy high.

Overall: This could be my favorite Oskar Blues offering. Dale’s Pale is a great pale ale with a refreshing hop kick, Mama’s Little Yella is a must-try for anybody that’s a Bud Light only person (since it has a pretty light, but solid flavor), Deviant Dale’s is a huge, burning, whale of an IPA... but G’Knight is just better, despite how good all of those beers are. Super tasty, refreshing, gets the job done... must try.

Alextricity, Mar 27, 2013

Buck6196, Mar 27, 2013

MNBeer1017, Mar 27, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Had this beer from a 16oz can to glass. Beautiful amber color with a thick one inch head, which slowly dissipates to a light foam. Tastes is great, full feel of hops. Mouth feel is great, tb complexion of flavors flow very well. Overall great delicious beer!

NoleDoc, Mar 25, 2013