Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

G'Knight Imperial Red Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

G'Knight Imperial Red AleG'Knight Imperial Red Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2003

Classified by the brewery as an "Imperial Red/Double IPA" 8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of G'Knight Imperial Red Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,306 | Hads: 3,682
4.76/5  rDev +16.1%

Let me preface my review by saying I was very skeptical of paying $15 bucks for a 4 pack in a can, I said to myself " whoa thats more than the 4 pack of Founders Breakfast Stout." So, this beer had a lot to prove and boy did it ever. Appearance is a very dark brown with a bit of orange hue around the edges with a white creamy head, you know similar to a guiness head with little to no bubbles. Smells of sweet citrus with some alcohol esters are the first to hit the nose. Taste is incredible citrus hops with none of the alcohol burn that might be expected with the alcohol esters in the nose. I could drink a 4 pack but with the 9% and the big price tag I keep a couple of these in the stash. (696 characters)

Pours a dark brown, copper in appearance with a clear body that leaves a thick tan head. The aroma is very nice, pine, sharp earthy tones, tarragon, lots of herbs throughout the nose. This brew brings a toffee sweetness lots of malt which is needed to balance this hop bomb. The taste is very herbal, bitter hops upfront spicy and delicious. There is a slight anise presence to this brew, rounded by a chewy bitter pine feel that roughs up your palate. In the finish there is a sweetness of caramel with a pine cone bitterness after taste. This is a good IIPA but not worth the $3.99/can. (588 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from the 12oz. "homebrew" style can with the stick-on lable into an oversized brandy snifter. The beer filled 3/4 of the glass and was crowned with a thick and frothy, nearly pure white head that lasted the entire length of the sample. The beer was a mohogany brown color with ruby highlights and appeared very still; no carbonation streaming but a big sheet of sticky lace. One of the best looking beers I've seen.

The nose has a very big hop bouquet and the "smell" of bitterness. Flowery and estery abound with a health dose of alcohol in the aroma as well. A bready malt aroma is also present.

The taste has a hop profile that is large and pronounced although not overly bitter nor assertive. This is not a harsh hop bomb taste, but exhibits some signs of balance with a malty flavor and slightly searing alcohol that is more pronounced as the beer warms. Bitterness does become more apparent as its hits the back of the tongue and you can "feel" it with each sip.

The body is medium-firm with a crisp carbonation.

A devilishly drinkable IPA. I found the canned version to be slightly less assertive than the draught verson. Slightly more mellow, yet every bit as enjoyable taste-wise. This one is not cheep, however, at 15 bucks for four cans. This makes it about the same value on draught as can. If I can find again on the tap lists, I will be likely to get it. (1,387 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -2%

A - Pours a nice reddish amber color with small head that disappears quickly

S - Big piney nose. Great!

T - Alcoholic, sweet, hoppy flavor, very rich

M - Thick mouthfeel

D - Although I like this beer, it is not exactly real drinkable. It's one and done for me. (272 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Gordon is a stupendous shade of orangish, reddish bronze that positively glows when viewed with the benefit of bright sunlight. There's no letdown where the head is concerned either. The beer is capped with a hugely thick and creamy lid of orange-infused golden brown sugar-colored foam that is in no hurry to depart and that covers the glass with thick, buttery lace. I love the look.

And I love the nose as well. There's a wee bit too much caramel for me, but it's a sweet, candy-like caramel scent that is enjoyable. No worries though because there's a 'mutha lode' of hoppiness in the house (I gotta agree with the brewery there). So much so that the 4-C dominant hop bill easily overrides the caramel maltiness.

This just might be the sweetest, most caramel malty DIPA that I've ever had. My favorites of the style are slanted much more toward hops, but it's hard to find too much fault when the beer is so damned good. The flavor profile is saved by a huger than huge hop load that is high on sticky resinousness. If I had my druthers though, I'd back off the caramel malt a good bit. I don't believe that the 'dash' of chocolate malt was such a good idea either.

The beer tastes like sugar-crusted orange, lemon and grapefruit peel swimming in a brown sugar syrup. I don't really appreciate chocolate malt per se, but the maltiness is definitely darker and richer than the usual. Ain't no way that 9.2% is accurate. Two percentage points lower is the highest that I would have guessed. If it wasn't for the cloying sweetness, I could down several cans in quick succession... and would then have to find a soft place to land.

Gordon is proof that a ton of malt results in a plush, lush, velvety, viscous mouthfeel. Given the sweetness, calling it syrupy wouldn't be out of line. Even though I heard no escape of gas on tab cracking, the good-sized head is evidence that plenty of carbonation is working behind the scenes. The bubbles also lay low in terms of mouthfeel; just how I'd draw it up.

Forget about the can, this is a good, solid (if overly sweet) version of my favorite style of beer. If I had read my own review prior to tasting, I wouldn't have been thrilled with the emphasis on cararmel malt. In the drinking however, Gordon is a big, gooey, friendly sort of DIPA that I'd probably buy on a regular basis if I was fortunate enough to live in Oskar Blues's distribution area. Thanks to hopsaplenty for the opportunity. (2,452 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

Double ipa in a can. What's better than that. Thanks to Nick at Bauer for the nudge in buying this.

A: Pours a dark copper color with an initial quarter finger head that hugs the sides of the chalice. Off white head
S: Big citrus, floral, and pine notes can be smelt about a foot and a half away. Nice... Caramel malt can be noticed underneath. Once it warms some sweet sugars can be sniffed
T/M: Big citrus and fruit hop notes dominate the palate first followed by a sharp bitterness. Pine hop notes are also dominant. I like the flavors of this beer and the complexity of the flavors. Caramel malt undertones are noticed. Gritty at the back of the mouth with a chewyness on the sides of the tongue. A little chalky on the palate with a malt breadyness. Above average in the body category. Good dry finish.
D: Highly drinkable dipa, but I may be overplaying this as I'm just so happy it's in a can. I would definately grab this again, although it's a tad expensive for both a 4 pack or 1 of them. (1,004 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Alright, I'm going to start this review saying that this beer costs way too much for what it is. I paid $15 for a four pack and it's definitely not worth $3.75 a can. However, I'm going to do this review without paying attention to the cost. Keep it in mind, though.

The can on this one is great. I have been drinking beer for a while and I had an immense distaste for cans until I started drinking some of the stuff from Oskar Blues. The Dale's Pale Ale has become a favorite of mine. Before them, I had this big stereotype that CANS == BAD. I've become a convert.

Poured from the can straight into my Duvel tulip. Amber with a bit of a head. Looks like Smuttynose's Big A, or what I remember Big A to be in my head. Perhaps I'm wrong because this is my third beer of the day and I'm not quite thinking clearly. Whatever, it looks delicious and has about a half inch of quickly dissipating head. If the head stayed a little longer it would be even more gorgeous but it does not. Oh, well... TO THE TASTING!

Smells are floral and HOPPY! Deliciously hoppy smelling. It smells like there are hops right here in the glass. The hops overcome most of the other flavors but I smell a hint of malt, sweet malt.

The first sip hits and it is most decidedly hoppy. This one isn't as nicely balanced as say Dogfish Head 90minute but that makes it a very different beast. It attacks the palette and the senses. Not sure if this is exactly a sessionable beer, but it sure is tasty, especially coming from a can. If it weren't so expensive I'd buy some more.

In finish, this is a great double IPA that could be even greater. I applaud Oskar Blues for their canning initiative. I like beer in cans! (1,700 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

It came from a can. Next horror flix? I don’t think so. Gordon, poured into a glass, has a mostly clear amber color with limited red hues. A good head and lacing that lasted throughout.

The aroma had a mostly piney, but also some citrus aroma. Hops really dominated but hints of malt are hiding there as well. The smell also has a “clean” sense to it as well.

The taste is similar to the nose with hops having the major characteristic but the malt plays more of a stronger presence. To start the malt has a smooth taste with a light caramel flavor and a sweeter brown sugar taste. The hops are balanced with the malt well, but the finishing hops are more noticeable then the bittering. There is a nice grapefruit and citrus finish.

The body is very smooth and a dare I say creamy. I think this almost distracts the hoppiness from the beer though. Overall I was impressed with the taste, and shocked at the high price, it was still worth it. (952 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

This arrived as a deep amber and gold color with a minor head. Lace is present but also minor.

The smell is a nice blast a hops. Grapefruit, citrus, and floral smells are everywhere. The taste brings more of these flavors all the way through. The mouthfeel is solid and pleasing while drinkability is very good. (314 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

coppery ruby brown with a tan head.
the nose has a very nice spicy hoppiness with a citrusy pineyness. it's also got a little bit of a malt character in there, with some caramel and maybe some hints of dark fruit in there. mellow, but complex and interesting.
the taste with a buttery, but un-diacetyl-like caramel, with hints of brown sugar, melding into fruitiness that includes some berry flavors as well as some pear, the hops wash in after that weith a citrusy faintly spicy pine and accompanying bitterness. a well balanced DIPA to be sure. almost more like an american barleywine.
the mouthfeel is pleasantly full with smooth delicate carbonation. excellent in the mouth. i would have sooner guessed this came out of the tap than an aluminum can.
good drinkability and i gotta say, the least in your face double IPA i've ever had. don't let that give you the wrong idea though, it's still loaded with hops and very good. (932 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours like a bottle of coca-cola, except with a root beer head. Deep brown color, not quite opaque.

Nose firs strikes me as brothy. Yes, like a soup. Maybe some brewed tea notes in here, when the tea bag came open and there's loose tea floating around. Dark rum too, maybe that's the "sweetness" on the nose.

Palate has big malt & hops but the other flavours keep you entertained - some birthday cake, root beer, marshmallowy vanilla wafer thing too.

Finish is more alcoholic than I'd like. Normally I hope that bite is more subdued, even for a beer of this strength. It interferes with drinkability for me, and turns this into a sipping 1 per sitting type of beer. (674 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Twelve-ounce CAN purchased at the brewpub in Lyons, CO, $2.69 a can.

Lovely dark clear amber-brown under a very large light tan head. Head diminishes to a solid cap of tight foam and leaves lots of lacing.

Smell of shortcake maltiness and tart fruit (like sharp apricots?), with some vanilla and grapefruit hops. Lots going on here.

Taste of peppery roasted malts and chocolate malts fighting tooth and nail with citrus hops and pine hops. Complex and tongue-grabbingly overt, this is half malt-bomb and half hop-bomb. One thing's for sure: it's explosively flavorful. Vanilla, clove, buttered rye toast, grapefruit, lemon-pepper.

A bit thin on the mouthfeel for a DIPA: not as sticky and slurpy as I would anticipate.

Decently drinkable, though the alcohol is obvious. I'll have some more, but not right away.

If you can find it, get some. The supply in cans is up and down throughout Colorado. Supply has not nearly kept up with demand. (945 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep clear amber with a dense two finger head. Leaves a havy sheeting of lace behind. Aroma is all hops. Sweet and citrusy. Lots of grapefruit in the nose.

Flavor is dominated by the pleasant citrus hops but also balanced a bit by the very prominenet malt profile. Some alcohol evident as well. Hops cannot help the sticky mouthfeel but do leave a long bitter aftertaste. All this said, it's damn yummy!

A nice DIPA with some balance, Oskar does it again. (469 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%

Clear crimson in color, though a shade pale than real red...a burnished apricot, perhaps? Rests under a fine, creamy-toned head, a good, lasting 1/4".

Sweet, malty, rich and hoppy in the nose. That's the immediate impression. Let's go back for more...Almost a barleywine impression, very rich and ripe, redolent of the succulent, decadent dark fruits, plump plums, luscious grapes, bodacious berries. Outsized and outrageous.

Taste is full, vast, and, again, bigger than life. Great attack on the palate, wonderful play with the tongue, a texture that gives and grabs. Thick, sticky, and not shy about anything. Full-bodied, long, fruity finish, hops and malt both give beyond the ordinary. Alcohol isn't felt right off, but assuredly crawls it's way into the feel of it.

Abundant fruit mixed with the barleywine feel in the flavor, an impressive acheivement. Wonderful, relaxing ale, this. And, without a doubt, the finest beer I've yet poured from a can! (967 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Happy to get to try this one on tap @ Hop Devil, Lower East Side NYC, pours a dangerous brownish plum tone, cloudy with a nice tiny bubble film and leaving loads of fine, sticky, sheets of lacing, nice....the expected resiny hop nose, leads to waves of buttery hoppy goodness, creamy, smooth, malt rising to support the hop blast. Full bodied, full flavor, heady, American in attitude brew! Simply lovely stuff, in cans this would be the ultimate beach or camping in the cooler beer. Where can I get cans of this stuff in the NYC area? (535 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at D's Six Packs and Dogz, Pittsburgh PA. Thanks to BA Veggiemafia for steering me there.

On tap into a pint glass. Dark amber, slighty cloudy, thick, khaki head woth good retention, nice lacing with each sip.

Piney hops hit you in the nose with solid citrus underpinning. Minor malt. This one's all about the hops. Mmmm. Very similar to WV Brewing Co.'s Ned's Pale Ale.

Flavor is all hops up front, with a sweet malt backbone in the finish. Citrus to start, with evergreen following, then the malt. Delicious.

Crisp to start with maltiness opening up as each sip goes down. Refreshing as all get out.

This brew drinks easily, but the overall drinkability score takes a ding due to the ABV%. I had no idea it was as strong as it was until I got out of my seat, so the alcohol is sneaky as well.

Bottom line: another very good DIPA to put on my list of go-to beers. And, apparently it's avaialble in cans, so it'll be a great camping beer if I can find a case. (985 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured aclear rich bronze with a nice white sticky 1/2 finger head leaving a ring of lace as it settled slowly,I know giving a 5 for for anything really means something when reviewing but I had it give this a perfect score for the nose of this bad boy the pine jumps out and grabs ya the underlying citrus just adds to to it its just resiny and piney and just damn good.Long lingering hops on the palate no big wallop and done here a nice coating mouthfeel the piney flavors just coat the mouth and just seem to linger over top of a pretty sweet malt base but the hops seem to just go on late into the finish inducing those blessed hop burps.Big thanks to my buddy Dale aka "hoppedup" (Dale) thru AK Smoked Porter hey every once in awhile even an Ohioan makes me happy. (769 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

Presentation: 12oz Aluminum can. Just a plain can with a sticker on it.

Appearance: Cloudy copper amber color with a nice large tan head that has great retention and lacing.

Smell: Getting whiffs of buttery diacetyl, with a lightly roasty toffee aroma. Slightly citrusy hops in the background. Way too much diacetyl is overpowering the rest of the aroma.

Taste: Sweet and creamy malt body with a lot of hops. Hints of citrus and peach. Most toffee and caramel sweetness with light burn of alcohol. Pretty thick body with a slick diacetyl mouthfeel.

Notes: I've had it on tap at Oskar Blues and I really liked it. This one isn't quite as good, probably due to the flaws in the brewing/fermentation process. Its sweet, but not cloying, the hop flavor is good, but could be stronger, and would like some more bitterness. (830 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: Clear copper colored body, solid white head. Copious sticky lace.

Smell: Fragrant hops are obvious but somewhat subdued for the style. Bready malt in the background. Not bad, just not as assertive as you would think.

Taste: Very good for the style. Hops start and finish very quickly, with a rush of bitterness they are here and gone. Leaving a fine sticky herbal aftertaste. Very nice flavor.

Drinkability: My second Oskar Blues beer, and I can honestly say this beer has no ill effects from canning whatsoever, and is an above average DIPA. (563 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to hoppedup for this can!

Appearance: Brown clear beer, with a nice retentive tan head.

Aroma: The hops are mostly citrusy, but still pleasantly piney. The sweet malt smells blend nicely with the hops. This beer wants to be tasted badly.

Taste: The first taste of this beer is pretty damned hoppy. Hoppier and piney-er than expected from the mightly hoppy aroma. After a couple more tastes, it seems to be a bit more balanced than I originally thought. The bitterness seems to linger throughout the taste, but as the beer warms, it seems that this one is actually somewhat balanced. This one is not for someone who doesn't like piney hops, but it's certainly not overpowering.

Notes: This is another Oskar Blues beer that hides it's alcohol content quite well. 9.2% is not what I would have expected from the flavors. The dryness on the finish is quite pleasant and it makes this a beer that is very easy to drink. (933 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap @ Sunset 6/8/06. Served in a tulip glass.

This is a seriously rich and delicious DIPA. It has a wonderful body and sweetness without being the least bit syrupy, and is one of the best mouthfeels I have ever experienced in the style. The taste is of strongly citrusy hops, a smililar hop profile to Dale's Pale Ale, but is nicely balanced by the residual sweetness. Very strong effort by Oskar Blues, and I wish we got the cans here in New England. (457 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

A copper body below a frothy off-white head. Yeast floaties are fairly abundant. Lacing forms as the head slowly settles.

Intense grapefruity citrus aroma that stings the nostrils. Very refreshing smell to it. Like the stuff you spray after taking a dump. Like Hops Perfume.

Super piney and floral. Grapefruit and other citrus as well. Not as bitter as I was expecting and perhaps finishes kind of quickly. However, though, when its there, you know it, and I like it. Fear the commas. Not as bitter as I was expecting. More of a bittersweetness as the liquid gold slides down your throat. A solid 4

A bit thin for a double IPA. Carbonation is about right though. Alcohol is not present in the least. Very very smooth drinking for such a high alcohol IIPA. Also, incredibly balanced in a category of beer that is dominated by over the top hops. (852 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

The beer pours a dark gold/amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a solid malt scent that boasts of pale and crystal malts along with a powerful hop aroma that's floral and quite refreshing. The taste is good. It has a nice bitter hop taste that is complimented with a complex malt flavor. It goes down easy and finishes hoppy and slightly warm. This is a big brew with lots of flavor. It's rich and well balanced. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine beer. It's all around good; another wonderful offering from these guys. (644 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

Sampled through the efforts of 120/190 BIF and lostbearbrew.

Pours a clear reddish brown colored beer with a short lived off white head.

Smell is very fresh and spicy hops firstly. Citrus and smoke and very strong tea aromas. Malt is totally obscured by the hops here.

Taste is strong hop flavor mainly tropical fruit in the first taste. Pineapple and papaya are the strongest flavors here and citrus is mostly missing. Late in the glass the citrus flavors take over and this shows the flavor of American "C" type hops. Almost on the same level as Pliny The Younger and Dreadnaught but not quite yet very close to a 5.

Mouthfeel is good.

A very drinkable DIPA that is almost in the top 1% of its class but not quite yet. Absolutely worth seeking out. (765 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +2%

Cool looking label on the can. Is this the first Double IPA in a can? It's the first one I've ever seen at least. Pours into my tulip glass a deep dark brooding red with a wonderfully creamy light tan head on top. Best pour from a can...ever! Aromas of sweet caramel undertones with a bread dough accent. Wonderfully piney, fruity hops with a tropical resinous character. All about the hops and I'm not complaining.

First sip brings a sweet pale, bready caramel maltiness that quickly transitions into a piney, berry fruit hoppiness. Green and resinous without being overtly bitter. Tropical fruit notes follow down with a mildly bitter finish. A sublime mix of hop oils and solid chewy maltiness!

Mouthfeel is smooth and filling with a mellow creamy carbonation. This one floats down with immense ease and not sign of the over 9% abv contained within. I'd say this is a darn drinkable DIPA. I could go for another and wouldn't mind killin a whole 4 pack if I had it. Cheers to Oskar Blues for canning some great beer, I hope more breweries will branch out into canning as well! Thanks to warriorsoul for this tasty treat. (1,128 characters)

G'Knight Imperial Red Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew