G'Knight Imperial Red Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2003

Classified by the brewery as an "Imperial Red/Double IPA" 8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of G'Knight Imperial Red Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,634 | Reviews: 1,318
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

So it was my day off and I had some running around to do, and on my way home I stopped by the Whole Foods at Union Square...I wanted to find a couple of cans of gordon before it gets released in four packs....needless to say I was successful. These cans have something that just says small brewery....plain can with a oskar blues sticker just stuck right on it....I also like beers dedicated to people it shows that the brewery really were going for something special when they created....but enough about my day and my commentary on the can...

A- Dark amber yet still translucent...Nice frothy head, of a cream color, that rose to fill my pint glass, and even made a nice little dome over the glass with out overflowing...very thick dense rings of lace that trail all the way down the glass.

S-This is a wonderful smell...one of those DIPA's that is bordering on the verge of becoming a barley wine...extremely rich malts, but with a very strong and succulent hop back bone...With big sweet caramel, nice grass-iness that creates a dankness that is only possessed by a really fresh earthy plant...This beer smells like something that I have been craving...and I am really glad I grabbed two.

T- Big caramel malts on the tip on the tongues throughout the body...hop bitterness in this beer is really well balanced...although the hops stronger than the malts that is expected because of the style...Again there is citrus in the mid body and a grassy leafy fallness that comes to mind in the finish(maybe it would be better described as floral, but I'm pretty sure it is leafy)...

M/D- This beer is nice and thick syrupy, and slightly chewy...coats the tongue and leaves you a lot to think about long after you finish the sip...This beer deserves a 5 on drinkability, but at $3.99 a 12oz can all I can give it is a 4.5....but none the less a great beer that will venture in to my fridge many times this winter.

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

I've been trying to hunt down cans of this without success, so I went up to the brewery and got my growler filled. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Poured a very sligth half finger head that dissapaited quickly to some nice lacing. Beer was a deep, hazy red and a little orange around the edges. As it poured it definitely looked to have an oily consistency.

The smell was all pine. In my hand written notes, I wrote it three times. Slight lemon, and after taking a few more whiffs, got a strong alcohol smell.

The pine really comes through on the first sip. Very hoppy without a lot of malt to balance. I don't know what else you would call this, but I'm not sure if I didn't know what I was tasting that I would call it one. I think Oskar's does good on it's promise of making this a mix of an "Imperial Red and Double IPA."

This beer had a little too much carbonation for my taste on the first poor from the growler. The next day was much better. Drinkability was so, so. It's an enjoyable beer, but I didn't want to consume much more than one glass at time. As I mentioned before, it could use a little more balance. To me it just didn't have the right hop flavor for it to stand alone on them. I've heard this is a better beer when pouring for a can. Maybe I'll track some down and re-review.

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

2006 revisit, canned release this time.

love the homebrewed can design. it's like a bumper sticker wrapped around a coors/diet coke can. the aluminum unit cracks without a pop or fizz, but pours with plenty nice head. the beer itself is a muted shade of brown, the head yellow-tinged and solid. time brings it down to a thin layer, but chunky foam nuggets are deposited on the glass edge.

huge aroma of battling brown sugar malt sweetness and grapefruit essence. there is something else here too, reminiscent of a treated leather baseball glove. some fresher hop greens show up with warmth as well, presenting an extremely inviting yet somewhat frighteningly huge ipa odor.

initial sips evoke barleywine-style boozy sweetness. the brown sugar from the nose plays out smoothly and creates the big base for this big beer. bittering agents are there, but not enough to overpower the base beer, create abrasiveness or be referred to as 'piney.' earthy dirt and a minty spritz taste really good in the finish. the more i drink and the more this warms, the complexities kind of mellow out and blend together. the sweetness gets integrated into the taste bud scheme, and the gritty botanical notes amplify. booze and sweetness go, bitterness goes up. no matter the temp, this beer remains an slow sipping yet flavorful dipa.

recommended, and just as good as i remember from the old days of gordon bottles.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Thanks bwyker for sending this one my way. The beer was poured from the can into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer looked like amber ice tea in my glass. The head was a off white and two fingers high. The head didnt stick around. The beer left sticky webs of lacing down my glass.

Smell: Smelling the beer was like being beaned in the nose with a peeled grapefruit. Piney smells combine with a toasted caramel maltyness to tempt my palate.

Taste: This beer has a major toasted caramel malty entrance. This gives way to a subdued grapefruity and pine cone flavor. I would have liked a more aggressive hop attack; however, this beer is similar to 120 Minute IPA with a great malty backbone. This beer is very tasty! I would simply prefer a more aggressive hop attack.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is just shy of medium bodied. The beer isnt sticky. This is a dam fine beer that hides its alcohol well. I could easily see kicking back a few of these in a evening.

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

I was quite suprised to see this beer presented in a 750 ml corked bottle, I didn't know oscar blues even bottled anything

A- pours a dark brown color, nothing pale about it, has a rich cream colored head that retained beautifully and laced great as well

S- smells a bit sweet at first, but then a big citrusy hop smell

T- a very sweet malt presence at first, but then a nice hoppy bitterness, malt and hops are very well balanced

M- nice carbonation, medium body, very sticky long lasting flavor

D- goes down easily, after having a whole 750 I am a bit buzzed, an excellent beer, i would love to be able to find in a can

4.82/5  rDev +17%

Finally got my hands on this hard to find and expensive brew.
When I poured this beer not much of a head but the aroma could smell five feet away! Though the small head still laced the glass all the way to bottom. The nose had a nice grapefruit and sweet lemony with a soft floral finish. mouthfeel was med. to full body with hints of amareto and dusted peacans. The finish was a little spicy with a vanilla coffee finish. Best beer in a can I've tried!

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Found this in cans, so I figured I need to review it for comparrison's sake to the draft

Pours reddish orange witha 3 fingers deep offwhite colored head. Very good lacing & head retention

S: Huge piney & citrus hops & then hints of alcohl as it warms

T: Loads of piney hops then sweet malt comes through. Caramel & grapefruitty hops are present as it warms. Dryness & oakyness show as well. Finishes fruitty with

MF: Medium bodied with low levels of carbonation & super balance for the style

Drinks very easy for the abv & ibus. The only thing that would keep this out the rotation is the cost $10.99 a 4 pack. Seems much smoother when compared to the draft, having said that. it was a pretty young batch. Another can of goodness from this brewery. I liked this about .5 more than tap version for what it's worth

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was tasted in a snifter from the 13oz...can! Thanks to timtheenchanta for sharing.

This beer pours a ruby amber with a frothy just off white head. The smell is mostly hops backed up by some sweetness. The hops seem to be of the centennial varietal. The taste falls short of the smell. This is a major malt bomb. The hops have a hard time shining through all of the pale malts. It is still tastey, just not hoppy. The mouthfeel is full and thick, with nice carbonation. Overall, its drinkable, just not a great IPA.

4.06/5  rDev -1.5%

Light ruby clear liquid topped with a thin tightly bubbled head that dissipates after a few minutes leaving thin spots on the side of the glass.

Huge hoppy nose (Centennial?) that smell very fresh with sweet toasted malt smells with hints of caramel.

Big sweet hoppy flavor that attacks the taste buds with a mix of sweet and bitter. There's a huge toasted malt balance that reminds me of 90 Minute. Very dry bitter finish from all of the wonderful fresh tasting hops. A good beer although not all that complex.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to blitz134 for the can. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a sort of shimmering amber with a moderate head of off-white foam. Settles as a thin ring. Not a single bubble of carbonation can be found

Aroma: Citrusy hop stings your nose. Hints of sweet caramel.

Taste: Like Dale's on hop-steroids. Sweet caramel and grapefruit, with a stinging bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Super smooth. No malt stickyness, not too much drying for a beer with so much alcohol.

Drinkability: Definitely a highly drinkable beer. In my opinion, not too far off from Dale's. More hop character, though it would probably stand out more on tap (rather than in a can). Another great one from Oskar Blues.

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer poured a deep reddish amber color with a small head that left a bit of lace on the glass. Upon cracking the can open I caught a huge whiff of fresh hop flower aromas. Very enticing for a full blown hophead like me. Sweet malt aromas came later along with some peach and citrus notes. Taste was quite hoppy, but there was also a very good malt backing with this beer that went along well with flavors of peach, apricot and grapefruit. Mouthfeel was medium bodied on the palate. Alcohol was not really too apparent for a beer that is 9.2 percent. Overall, another very nice offering from the canned beer craft brewery that continues to impress me. Ordered online from Vintage Cellar in VA.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

12oz can from bleedingshrimp as part of 120/190 BIF. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" tan head over the slightly cloudy copper brew. Head is dense and lasting, with tons of sticky lacing. Aroma is defined by resinous hop character. Taste starts with a heavy malt sweetness, which is quickly cut to the quick by the incisive piney hops. Certainly can't call it well balanced, but the flavors are quite complementary. Alcohol is well hidden. Mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent, especially for a style that can sometimes abandon flavor for sheer bitterness. Glad I have a couple more of these in the fridge...

4.76/5  rDev +15.5%

Let me preface my review by saying I was very skeptical of paying $15 bucks for a 4 pack in a can, I said to myself " whoa thats more than the 4 pack of Founders Breakfast Stout." So, this beer had a lot to prove and boy did it ever. Appearance is a very dark brown with a bit of orange hue around the edges with a white creamy head, you know similar to a guiness head with little to no bubbles. Smells of sweet citrus with some alcohol esters are the first to hit the nose. Taste is incredible citrus hops with none of the alcohol burn that might be expected with the alcohol esters in the nose. I could drink a 4 pack but with the 9% and the big price tag I keep a couple of these in the stash.

Pours a dark brown, copper in appearance with a clear body that leaves a thick tan head. The aroma is very nice, pine, sharp earthy tones, tarragon, lots of herbs throughout the nose. This brew brings a toffee sweetness lots of malt which is needed to balance this hop bomb. The taste is very herbal, bitter hops upfront spicy and delicious. There is a slight anise presence to this brew, rounded by a chewy bitter pine feel that roughs up your palate. In the finish there is a sweetness of caramel with a pine cone bitterness after taste. This is a good IIPA but not worth the $3.99/can.

4.16/5  rDev +1%

Poured from the 12oz. "homebrew" style can with the stick-on lable into an oversized brandy snifter. The beer filled 3/4 of the glass and was crowned with a thick and frothy, nearly pure white head that lasted the entire length of the sample. The beer was a mohogany brown color with ruby highlights and appeared very still; no carbonation streaming but a big sheet of sticky lace. One of the best looking beers I've seen.

The nose has a very big hop bouquet and the "smell" of bitterness. Flowery and estery abound with a health dose of alcohol in the aroma as well. A bready malt aroma is also present.

The taste has a hop profile that is large and pronounced although not overly bitter nor assertive. This is not a harsh hop bomb taste, but exhibits some signs of balance with a malty flavor and slightly searing alcohol that is more pronounced as the beer warms. Bitterness does become more apparent as its hits the back of the tongue and you can "feel" it with each sip.

The body is medium-firm with a crisp carbonation.

A devilishly drinkable IPA. I found the canned version to be slightly less assertive than the draught verson. Slightly more mellow, yet every bit as enjoyable taste-wise. This one is not cheep, however, at 15 bucks for four cans. This makes it about the same value on draught as can. If I can find again on the tap lists, I will be likely to get it.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

A - Pours a nice reddish amber color with small head that disappears quickly

S - Big piney nose. Great!

T - Alcoholic, sweet, hoppy flavor, very rich

M - Thick mouthfeel

D - Although I like this beer, it is not exactly real drinkable. It's one and done for me.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Gordon is a stupendous shade of orangish, reddish bronze that positively glows when viewed with the benefit of bright sunlight. There's no letdown where the head is concerned either. The beer is capped with a hugely thick and creamy lid of orange-infused golden brown sugar-colored foam that is in no hurry to depart and that covers the glass with thick, buttery lace. I love the look.

And I love the nose as well. There's a wee bit too much caramel for me, but it's a sweet, candy-like caramel scent that is enjoyable. No worries though because there's a 'mutha lode' of hoppiness in the house (I gotta agree with the brewery there). So much so that the 4-C dominant hop bill easily overrides the caramel maltiness.

This just might be the sweetest, most caramel malty DIPA that I've ever had. My favorites of the style are slanted much more toward hops, but it's hard to find too much fault when the beer is so damned good. The flavor profile is saved by a huger than huge hop load that is high on sticky resinousness. If I had my druthers though, I'd back off the caramel malt a good bit. I don't believe that the 'dash' of chocolate malt was such a good idea either.

The beer tastes like sugar-crusted orange, lemon and grapefruit peel swimming in a brown sugar syrup. I don't really appreciate chocolate malt per se, but the maltiness is definitely darker and richer than the usual. Ain't no way that 9.2% is accurate. Two percentage points lower is the highest that I would have guessed. If it wasn't for the cloying sweetness, I could down several cans in quick succession... and would then have to find a soft place to land.

Gordon is proof that a ton of malt results in a plush, lush, velvety, viscous mouthfeel. Given the sweetness, calling it syrupy wouldn't be out of line. Even though I heard no escape of gas on tab cracking, the good-sized head is evidence that plenty of carbonation is working behind the scenes. The bubbles also lay low in terms of mouthfeel; just how I'd draw it up.

Forget about the can, this is a good, solid (if overly sweet) version of my favorite style of beer. If I had read my own review prior to tasting, I wouldn't have been thrilled with the emphasis on cararmel malt. In the drinking however, Gordon is a big, gooey, friendly sort of DIPA that I'd probably buy on a regular basis if I was fortunate enough to live in Oskar Blues's distribution area. Thanks to hopsaplenty for the opportunity.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Double ipa in a can. What's better than that. Thanks to Nick at Bauer for the nudge in buying this.

A: Pours a dark copper color with an initial quarter finger head that hugs the sides of the chalice. Off white head
S: Big citrus, floral, and pine notes can be smelt about a foot and a half away. Nice... Caramel malt can be noticed underneath. Once it warms some sweet sugars can be sniffed
T/M: Big citrus and fruit hop notes dominate the palate first followed by a sharp bitterness. Pine hop notes are also dominant. I like the flavors of this beer and the complexity of the flavors. Caramel malt undertones are noticed. Gritty at the back of the mouth with a chewyness on the sides of the tongue. A little chalky on the palate with a malt breadyness. Above average in the body category. Good dry finish.
D: Highly drinkable dipa, but I may be overplaying this as I'm just so happy it's in a can. I would definately grab this again, although it's a tad expensive for both a 4 pack or 1 of them.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Alright, I'm going to start this review saying that this beer costs way too much for what it is. I paid $15 for a four pack and it's definitely not worth $3.75 a can. However, I'm going to do this review without paying attention to the cost. Keep it in mind, though.

The can on this one is great. I have been drinking beer for a while and I had an immense distaste for cans until I started drinking some of the stuff from Oskar Blues. The Dale's Pale Ale has become a favorite of mine. Before them, I had this big stereotype that CANS == BAD. I've become a convert.

Poured from the can straight into my Duvel tulip. Amber with a bit of a head. Looks like Smuttynose's Big A, or what I remember Big A to be in my head. Perhaps I'm wrong because this is my third beer of the day and I'm not quite thinking clearly. Whatever, it looks delicious and has about a half inch of quickly dissipating head. If the head stayed a little longer it would be even more gorgeous but it does not. Oh, well... TO THE TASTING!

Smells are floral and HOPPY! Deliciously hoppy smelling. It smells like there are hops right here in the glass. The hops overcome most of the other flavors but I smell a hint of malt, sweet malt.

The first sip hits and it is most decidedly hoppy. This one isn't as nicely balanced as say Dogfish Head 90minute but that makes it a very different beast. It attacks the palette and the senses. Not sure if this is exactly a sessionable beer, but it sure is tasty, especially coming from a can. If it weren't so expensive I'd buy some more.

In finish, this is a great double IPA that could be even greater. I applaud Oskar Blues for their canning initiative. I like beer in cans!

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

It came from a can. Next horror flix? I don’t think so. Gordon, poured into a glass, has a mostly clear amber color with limited red hues. A good head and lacing that lasted throughout.

The aroma had a mostly piney, but also some citrus aroma. Hops really dominated but hints of malt are hiding there as well. The smell also has a “clean” sense to it as well.

The taste is similar to the nose with hops having the major characteristic but the malt plays more of a stronger presence. To start the malt has a smooth taste with a light caramel flavor and a sweeter brown sugar taste. The hops are balanced with the malt well, but the finishing hops are more noticeable then the bittering. There is a nice grapefruit and citrus finish.

The body is very smooth and a dare I say creamy. I think this almost distracts the hoppiness from the beer though. Overall I was impressed with the taste, and shocked at the high price, it was still worth it.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

This arrived as a deep amber and gold color with a minor head. Lace is present but also minor.

The smell is a nice blast a hops. Grapefruit, citrus, and floral smells are everywhere. The taste brings more of these flavors all the way through. The mouthfeel is solid and pleasing while drinkability is very good.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

coppery ruby brown with a tan head.
the nose has a very nice spicy hoppiness with a citrusy pineyness. it's also got a little bit of a malt character in there, with some caramel and maybe some hints of dark fruit in there. mellow, but complex and interesting.
the taste with a buttery, but un-diacetyl-like caramel, with hints of brown sugar, melding into fruitiness that includes some berry flavors as well as some pear, the hops wash in after that weith a citrusy faintly spicy pine and accompanying bitterness. a well balanced DIPA to be sure. almost more like an american barleywine.
the mouthfeel is pleasantly full with smooth delicate carbonation. excellent in the mouth. i would have sooner guessed this came out of the tap than an aluminum can.
good drinkability and i gotta say, the least in your face double IPA i've ever had. don't let that give you the wrong idea though, it's still loaded with hops and very good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours like a bottle of coca-cola, except with a root beer head. Deep brown color, not quite opaque.

Nose firs strikes me as brothy. Yes, like a soup. Maybe some brewed tea notes in here, when the tea bag came open and there's loose tea floating around. Dark rum too, maybe that's the "sweetness" on the nose.

Palate has big malt & hops but the other flavours keep you entertained - some birthday cake, root beer, marshmallowy vanilla wafer thing too.

Finish is more alcoholic than I'd like. Normally I hope that bite is more subdued, even for a beer of this strength. It interferes with drinkability for me, and turns this into a sipping 1 per sitting type of beer.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Twelve-ounce CAN purchased at the brewpub in Lyons, CO, $2.69 a can.

Lovely dark clear amber-brown under a very large light tan head. Head diminishes to a solid cap of tight foam and leaves lots of lacing.

Smell of shortcake maltiness and tart fruit (like sharp apricots?), with some vanilla and grapefruit hops. Lots going on here.

Taste of peppery roasted malts and chocolate malts fighting tooth and nail with citrus hops and pine hops. Complex and tongue-grabbingly overt, this is half malt-bomb and half hop-bomb. One thing's for sure: it's explosively flavorful. Vanilla, clove, buttered rye toast, grapefruit, lemon-pepper.

A bit thin on the mouthfeel for a DIPA: not as sticky and slurpy as I would anticipate.

Decently drinkable, though the alcohol is obvious. I'll have some more, but not right away.

If you can find it, get some. The supply in cans is up and down throughout Colorado. Supply has not nearly kept up with demand.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a deep clear amber with a dense two finger head. Leaves a havy sheeting of lace behind. Aroma is all hops. Sweet and citrusy. Lots of grapefruit in the nose.

Flavor is dominated by the pleasant citrus hops but also balanced a bit by the very prominenet malt profile. Some alcohol evident as well. Hops cannot help the sticky mouthfeel but do leave a long bitter aftertaste. All this said, it's damn yummy!

A nice DIPA with some balance, Oskar does it again.

G'Knight Imperial Red Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew