G'Knight Imperial Red Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2003

Classified by the brewery as an "Imperial Red/Double IPA" 8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of G'Knight Imperial Red Ale Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

Pours a dark copper color with ruby tinting. A one-finger head of slightly tan colored foam recede to a spotty surface covering. Lacing is in thick ropes and quite sticky.

A very hop-forward nose. Very soapy and floral with light citrus notes. Large amounts of pine tar smell. Good caramel malt sweetness is just below the surface.

The caramel malt notes hit the palate first. You actually get a couple of seconds to enjoy them. Then the big pine bite hits you in the middle, followed by the floral and soapy notes. Then the sweetness makes a very brief reappearance at the end, giving this one a very nice finish, which is both bitter and sweet.
Very nicely balanced, overall.

Full body on this one, which is nice. Medium to high level of carbonation. Very smooth and has a medium creaminess level.

As far as DIPA/IIPA's go, this is quite the drinkable monster. I understand it's popularity now and consider myself a fan of it, also.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

I think OB's is doing a great thing for the craft industry by introducing cans.

Pours a dark orangish color, crystal clear with a very respectable head on it. I took a quick sip from the can due to impatience, despite my glassware in the other hand ready to accept a pour. Just got to keep reminding myself it's not as good straight from the can, can't see it, can't smell it.

Very full aroma, loaded with sweet malt, crisp fresh hops, and a slight bite of alcohol spice. This is a walloper of an iipa in the taste, with a full sticky and chewy resinous palate-filling body. Some over-ripe fruit in here too, with lots of chewy malt. It manages the high abv well, deceptively so. I really liked this iipa, and the 12oz can is perfect to help retain my sobriety. A tasty above average imperial pale ale, and that's saying something coming from my experience and geographic locale!

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Gordon was a gorgeous dark reddish copper. This had the exact dark color an imperial IPA should. I've had this ale many times when it's had a thick head and lots of lace; however, the one I drank for review had no foam and left the glass clear.

This a was darn-near perfect ale. The smell and taste were clean sweet and citric. There was no funk in either smell or taste; it was incredibly smooth--perhaps too smooth. The feel was thick, creamy, and bitter, yet as with the glass, very little was left behind. Because of how smooth this ale was, it drank exceptionally well--far easier than a typical imperial.

Gordon is a flawless beauty. Perfect features, with no blemishes and nothing out of place. I prefer imperfect, offbeat beauty; however, because imperfections provide character. I would be content having Gordon every day, as my go-to ale, but I'd eventually grow bored and crave some funk.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

A reddish golden pour beneath a pretty nice white head.
The taste and smell are a mix between pine/citrus hoppiness and some sweet caramel malt. Nothing life changing, but a pretty damn nice beer.
The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium in body with perfect carbonation, making Gordon go down surprisingly easy for it's near nine percent.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance - Nice amber color, low carbonation with a white head that falls down.

Smell - Mild, sweet and grassy.

Taste - Hops, citrus and sweet caramel. Not as hoppy as I thought.

Mouthfeel - Good flavor, masks the alcohol well, little thin.

Drinkability - Very drinkable!

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

A - A beautiful copper body with some clarity to it...a slightly off white head forms...about two fingers...falls into a finger cap and stays creamy throughout the entire beer...cascading lacing

S - A very balanced nose...first are the citrus hops...filled with lemon and grapefruit...a bit of piney hops shine through...and a strong caramel malt backbone

T - I figured the flavors would be a little more balanced as the nose suggests...but this one leaned a little more towards the sweeter side...a lot of caramel malts up front...they provide a nice sweetness to the beer...but I wanted more hops...waiting...and then they come in at the end...not really bitter but bright with grapefruit flavors...all in all a little alcohol pokes its head out

M - Medium bodied...not much bitterness and a bit metallic

D - This was a very nice DIPA...it has a big ABV but as I said the alcohol only shines through a little and overall this is a very drinkable beer...a decent balance of flavors with a wonderful nose

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours essentially amber, or dark orange, with high clarity.Two-finger slightly red head, good retention. Aroma has some definitive presence, loaded with hops, sharp lemony citrus, pine sap, a bit of tropical pineapple, touch of flora. Everything says hello, nice to meet you, please drink me...

Immediately I get a fruity sweetness, in part derived from the malts, but at the same time registering as lots of juicy hops on my tongue. Lots of kumquats, tropical goodness. A nice pine bitterness then sneaks up for a sticky finish, which lasts for a while and ends up slightly biscuity and floral somehow, which begs me to go back to the beginning of the flavor experience. One of my favorite hoppy red ales, much prefer this to the "imperial ambers" that have become popular. Medium body with a moderate-high carbonation that works with the bite that the hops deliver. A really tasty all around beer, it looks expensive for a can of beer, but in reality it is pretty reasonably priced when compared to many imperial IPAs that are on the market. Recommended.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Oskar Blues Gordon DIPA... 8.7% alcohol. Found in North Carolina haven't seen in Florida, so a nice find.

A- Pours a nice amber hue with small soapy head that falls into a light ring around the glass. Nice lacing clings to the glass apon pour.

S- Very mild smell of grassy hops are noted but the most obvious scents are caramel malts and brown sugar.

T-M- Very light flavors for a double ipa brew. Fresh hop charactor in the front, mostly citrus, floral and maybe grassy flavor as well. Light caramel malts are noted just nothing to special.
Alcohol is appearent in the backbone of the beer. Smooth mouthfeel and very light bodied vs. what I expected. All and all good flavor and feel.

D- Drinkable as hell but for the price i'd go for Dale's Pale over this one. A must try though.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Review Number 50 - Not a bad beer to bestow this honor on!

Appearance - Pours a darker than expected amber/golden color (though the description does state it is a hybrid between a DIPA and an Imperial Amber Ale so I shouldn't be that surprised). After the pour there is about a finger worth of head that dissipates at a normal rate but is leaving some great looking lacing.

Smell - When I raise the glass toward my face I can immediately smell the pine - more so than in many other DIPA's. I honestly closed my eyes and could envision myself being in front of a pine tree. After another smell or two I can smell the citrus, hops, and the malty backbone to this drink.

Taste - The best damn tasting beer I've had out of a can, that's for sure. Getting over the "novelty" of having a great DIPA in a can, I can taste the pine, hops, a bit of citrusy pinapple on the forefront. This is taken over by a quite well balanced malty flavor such as toffee in the middle of the sip, which then ends with a slight bitterness. Honestly...I like this.

Mouthfeel - Medium, creamy mouthfeel. Almost chewy - decent carbonation despite my not really seeing it in the glass? Ever so slightly prickles the tongue.

Drinkability - Are you serious...this has 8.7% ABV? Do not give me a four pack of these when I am in front of the television or they will be gone in thirty minutes without me even realizing. This is an extremely drinkable and enjoyable beer. The past few months I had been striking out in DIPAs in my opinion and just recently I have come across three I enjoy besides PtE. This makes me very happy!

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Pours an amber color with an off white head that provides a bunch of sticky lacing as it fades to a small layer across the top.

S: Smell is fruity with a piney hop aroma. A lot like DFH 90 but with more piney than citrus.

T: Sweet fruits & piney hops on the forefront with a slight bitterness on the finish that balances out the sweetness. Good stuff.

M: Feel is about par for the style maybe a bit thin but the carbonation is great. It does leave a nice coating on the mouth that allows the finish to last for longer than normal.

D: Great Imperial IPA that is extremly drinkable. The alcohol is no where to be seen anywhere in the taste/smell which is always a plus.

Oskar Blues is becoming my favorite brewery. Every brew I have from them is a fine example of the particular style. This one ranks up there with DFH 90 and Hop Stoopid as my easily acquirable favorite DIPAs. It's definitely different than the others with more pine which is a good change of pace.

3.61/5  rDev -12.4%

Served in a Duvel Tulip.

A: Orange with deep amber background. Fluffy just off white head sits on top. Looks creamy. Carbonation is on the lower end.

S: Very malty with strong caramel and some toffee tones. Sweet aromas from the malts. The hops are there, but really not to the degree that I like with my DIPAs. I get some citrus and a hint of pine in the hops.

T: Rich, creamy caramel malts predominate. Hints of toffee as well. I get a faint fruitiness. The hops are there, but mostly in bitterness. I get a strong piney bitterness and some citrus flavors. The malts seem to rule this DIPA.

M: Creamy, smooth and medium bodied. A bit different that what I consider a standard DIPA (Pliney is my basis for comparison).

D: A flavorful DIPA. The flavor mostly comes from the malts however. This is a bit different that most DIPAs I've really enjoyed. When I'm more in the mood for maltiness, this is the DIPA I will choose.

3.67/5  rDev -10.9%

A: This beer pours a deep, translucent red with a fluffy off-white head. Retention is good with nice lacing.

S: Citrus American hops and plenty of them. There is just the slightest touch of alcohol there as well.

T: Did I mention hops? Huge bitterness here, though it is followed by a nice smooth malt flavor. Not really balanced, but enough so that the hops don't run away with the show. Finally there is more hops flavor in the taste and aftertaste.

M: Surprisingly a little thin. Goes right down. I wish it would linger a little.

D: One is plenty. Some beers do a good job of hiding 8 or 9 percent alcohol. This is not one of them. The massive hop bitterness and alcohol notes make this one to enjoy on a limited basis.

O: This beer is all about hops. For those who enjoy hops, you will find this a good DIPA. Not exceptional, but good.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

I know I've had this one on-tap before, but only recently realized I haven't reviewed it yet, oh well. On-tap in my own personal kegorator poured into a DFH signature glass a crisp red with a nice frothy eggshell head. Aroma is a nice balance of crisp citrus hops and sweet malts. The taste is a nice blend of sweet caramel malts and citrus and pine hops with a nice lingering balanced finish. The beer is medium bodied with decent carbonation. This one is very enjoyable on tap, one I'll certainly put in the kegorator again.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 12oz can into two small snifters. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! From our Destin, FL beer hual!

Enjoy Batch #6
04/25/09 @ 14:51
Cures Bottledness

A: Pours an unfiltered/hazy orange-y caramel color. Light orange/khaki head with a nice assortment of sticky ropes. Retention was very good.

S: Loads of fresh pine and caramel. Also, fresh cut grass and citrus with hints of pineapple and mango.

T: See above with the addition of brown sugar, juicy caramel, and fresh tropical fruit. A definite booze flavor asserts itself around mid glass and sticks around 'till the very end.

M: Big and oily with a dry and spicy backbone that keeps it from being too sticky and sweet.

D: Fantastic! A big juicy DIPA that is so easy to drink and is very refreshing.

4.39/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a snifter.

4.0 A: Slightly hazy dark orange color. Two fingers of frightfully creamy head that has average retention and some lacing.

5.0 S: This is my absolute favorite type of DIPA, I can tell already. It has a malt bill that can stand up to the hops in flavor and complexity. Hops are citrusy with emphasis on orange and grapefruit. Malts are full of caramel flavor and dark fruitiness like a barleywine. I smell lots of cherries and plums.

4.0 T: Initially this beer had me scratching my head. I didn't know what the hell I was tasting. The malts (or maybe the hops) put a "chalky" flavor on the tip of my tongue, which isn't necessarily unpleasant. The malts were a big disappointment as it wasn't as complex as I would have liked. Mainly just has the caramel flavor. Lots of citrusy hops in the flavor.

4.5 M: Heavy medium body. Very creamy and smooth. Can't tell there's even alcohol in it.

4.5 D: I would definitely like to have this been again, but not too often since it's quite expensive.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

A: A deep reddish amber color with a finger or so of white head. Some lacing is present, but not too much.

S: The initial sniff gives an aroma of earthy hops. Subsequent sniffs provide some grapefruit and pine. The hop character is followed by a doughy malt scent.

T: This beer was only very slightly chilled, so the sweet flavors really came out. There was some very light citrus flavor, a very prominent pineapple flavor, and a slight maltiness midway through the sip. The finish is slightly bitter and piney.

M: Not too much in the way of carbonation on this beer. The body is medium to full.

D: Such an easy drinking DIPA. It's more malty and sweet than I generally like (I'm not sure how old it is), but great flavors and nothing unpleasant.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

A- Poured from the can with a little white foamy head, which quickly dissipated with no trace of lacing. The body is an attractive hazy orange-amber. No carbonation observed from the glass.

S- Strong earthy hops are up-front on the nose, along with some substantial aromas of caramel malt... i'm getting some slight metallic aromas from the nose as well...

T- As expected, this brew packs a lot of hop and malt character into one place- big earthy hop flavors backed by sweet caramel malt. Bold but surprisingly balanced!

M- Medium to full body with LOTS of unattenuated sugar... textured and chewy... with plenty of soft carbonation to boot! Wonderful mouthfeel.

D- Lots of hops and lots of malt are a pleasure... in small doses. I thoroughly enjoyed this can of Gordon, and could probably enjoy another... but I cannot see myself getting past two cans before the sweetness is too cloying and/or the hop bitterness becomes overpowering.

4.34/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Gordon pours a clear deep reddish amber with little head, perhaps from the growler fill. The aromas are strongly of pungent citrus hops. Grapefruit and lots of it.

The flavor hits you up front with a slight caramel malt sweetness then overflows with grapefruit hop resins that coat the tongue just after a whiff of alcohol warmth. WIth warmth that alcohol heat subsides a bit and the sweet caramel malt starts to shine with a lush flavors of caramel. This has to be somewhere in the 80 ibu range, but balanced well with loads of malt.
The mouthfeel is full without being heavy. The alcohol could be hidden a bit better, but still a great imperial red nonetheless.

2.66/5  rDev -35.4%

12 oz. bottle into a snifter/ no freshness date

P: Deep tangerine-infused amber with just the slightest film of foam on top, even after a vigorous pour. It's just not impressive-looking at all with big, soapy bubbles on top and no lacing to speak of. The apparent lack of carbonation has me a bit worried.

A: No doubt, the lack of any head on top of this brew is hindering the strength of the aroma, but what's there is respectable. Initially, a boatload of caramel sweetness hits me upside the head along with a toasted biscuity malt. As for the hops, the pine-scented variety is the most dominant, followed by citrus in a distant second. I also get some toffee and the slightest hint of chocolate in there, too.

T: Initially, I realize that this is a hop-forward brew, but only by the slimmest of margins. A resinous pine-flavored hoppiness is most evident, followed by some citrus notes that taste like grapefruit and pineapple. But as the mouthful progresses, the toasted caramel malt becomes humongous, too much so in my opinion, and overthrows the hops with brute force. It combines with the overly-sweet toffee to concoct a cloying sweetness that just overwhelms me over the course of the glass. As if that wasn't enough, the chocolate malts add another layer of sweetness (although subtle) that sends me over the edge. This tastes more like an Imperial Red than it does an DIPA, and a ridiculously sweet Impy Red at that. I just don't get what they were going for here.

M: Gordon is a medium-bodied beer that seems smooth enough, considering how 'still' it is in appearance. But, the carbonation seems fine on the tongue, which has me more than a bit confused. Having said that, it offers no silk to its smoothness, nor does it offer up any rich creaminess or even the slightest amount of chewiness to speak of. Regardless of whether or not it's a DIPA or Imperial Red, it's sub-par for the style as far as I'm concerned.

Notes: Boy, I really wish I knew how old this can was. I can't help but wonder if this beer is just past its prime, or if the beer just simply isn't within my realm of what I would consider tasty beer. It didn't look very impressive at all, it's waaaay too sweet, not nearly hoppy enough, and the chocolate malts just seemed really out of place. Now, do you see why freshness dates are so important? If I knew this beer was old, I wouldn't review it. But with no way of telling, I have no clue if that is a factor or not. As is, I have to review the beer sitting in front of me, and the beer sitting in front of me is not very good at all. But, since they make one of the best IRS's (Ten Fidy), I will have to track down a can that I know for a fact is fresh and update the review, just to give them the benefit of the doubt. As is, though, not recommended.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

12 oz can poured into a snifter glass produced an amber colored beer with a 1 1/2 finger head. The smell consisted of pine, dark fruit and malt. At first I wasn't sure what to think of this beer as it was a little to sweet for my taste. But as the beer warmed up it allowed the hops to come through. At 8.7 percent you can't taste the alcohol. This is a pretty well balanced beer. I would try again if I could ever find it on tap.

4.19/5  rDev +1.7%

Served in a tulip. Poured a hazy orange-brown with a quarter inch off-white head that dissipated into a skim. Thin, delicate bands of lacing were formed during the course of the tasting, displaying good adherence. Nose was incredible - sweet grapefruit and light, fruity esters; perhaps a touch of honey. Not much in terms of hops (resinous, piny or medicinal) detectable in the nose. Taste consistent with nose, but the lightest kiss of hops bittering is detectable at the finish. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with a light, consistent background carbonation present. Drinkability is excellent with an extremely well-hidden abv; beats the can hands down.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Reddish orange copper color, big white floral aroma laced head, heavy lacing left behind. Alcohol at time no noticeable whatsoever. A well controlled DIPA...a hop monster with manners. Doesn't quite have the over-the-top intense bitterness which leaves the taste buds burnt. No grapefruit bitterness...much more floral with a massive malt depth. Its a really nice beer.

LOL, I drank it the way it was made to be enjoyed Out of the can. Not a clue what it looks like, but I don't care, this is a beach/pool brew IMO. Nice all the way around, and next to Modus the 2nd best beer in a can. Doesn't hit like a 8+ DIPA, the ABV is well hidden .It's still a handful though, and as easy as this is to drink that ABV demands respect. Still has a peculiar taste like Dales that I can't identify, not bad just different, and a clear fingerprint. Hoppy, not too bitter, not too sweet. Drink this one iced down and out of the can, well worth the 10 bucks/4 pk. I guess I could pour one into a glass to take a peek, it brings down the score a little, just to be fair.

Looks great, nice head, still made to drink from the can IMO. It raises the score a tad.

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smell: Piney, hoppy, little malty backbone

Appearance: Fairly dark amber, great foamy head w/lace, that fades within 2-3 minutes.

Taste: Not all that hoppy. A lot more malt going on than the usual DIPA to balance it out. More than I usually like.

Mouthfeel/After: Thick full mouthfeel, which makes sense d/t all the malt. Little bitterness lingers on back of tongue briefly, then malt is back.

Overall: Pretty drinkable at a colder temp. These really thick malty IPA's aren't really my fav, but colder they go down easier. It's definitely above average especially in smell+appearance, but imo, taste isn't too exciting. Still drinkable (for a malty ipa lover)

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

Serving notes - 45F, poured into an 0.5L German glass.
A - Full earthy hops and buscuity malt hit the nose
A - three fingers of head, slighty hazy deep amber color.
M - low to medium carbonation. Nice medium to full body.
T - Dark plums and grapefruit come out. Alcohol evident but in the background. Earthy hops from the aroma also have a bit of peppery spiciness.
D - For the ABV, this is a dangerously drinkable beer. I think they call it a double IPA but it seems more like an imperial red to me with the rich maltiness.

G'Knight Imperial Red Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew