G'Knight Imperial Red Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

G'Knight Imperial Red AleG'Knight Imperial Red Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Classified by the brewery as an "Imperial Red/Double IPA" 8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of G'Knight Imperial Red Ale Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

This is a tasty, easily drinkable beer with plenty of hop taste but rather light bitterness.

Amber gold, it has a medium pale tan head, orangish, slowly shrinking to a foamy ring and a hint of weak lace.

The aroma is hick and sweet and flowery with sweet grapefruit, sweet raisin, hints of pine, canned pear and perfumy grapefruit rind.

The taste is grapefruity with a lot of grape and raisin, caramelly grain, sweetish with dryish zestiness and very faint bitterness mostly in the end but lingering. Compared to Lagunitas Lucky 13, it's lighter in colour, body, and flavour, thinner,more grapefruit and less caramelly-syrupy. It's highly drinkable but for those looking for a lot of bitterness (I had no idea until after drinking it that this is classed as a double IPA), this is not the beer. I rarely find double IPAs very bitter (and often much less bitter than many IPAs or pale ales), but this is one of the least bitter double IPAs I've had.

Offa, Apr 07, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: medium head, medium carbonation, cloudy, mahoganny amber

Smell: pine, hops, bit of malt, and sweet fruit

Taste: pine, hops, bit of malt, sweet fruit, alcohol, and some citrus

Mouthfeel: sticky, smooth, low carbonation, nice balance between bitter and sweet

Drinkability: I would have this again. The high abv means its one per sitting. Not a bad beer, but far from my favorite in the style.

tigg924, Apr 05, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Hmmmm. Though I rec'd this in a trade but can't find it in my extensive records, so we must have picked up it up on a Wisconsin run. No, I can't keep track of where all of our beer comes from anymore without hiring a CPA.

Big, sticky, red, the can proclaims. As a dedicated "leave no trace" camper I especially appreciate the brewer's "pack it in, pack it out" message on the can. Even in the city there are far too many beer cans in the water, out on the ice, everywhere. What the hell is wrong with people?

Anyways, the beer. Very amber for a DIPA, & the smell is nicely tainted with hops.

Tastes very good. I usually like my DIPAs hoppy as hoppy can be, but I like the malt stick in this one, it has more of that ever-so-slight bitter tang to it rather than the standard malt sweetness. If I knew anything about malt I'm sure I could explain that. Now that I think of it, if I knew anything about physics I could probably build something that wouldn't fall down. Huh.

"Nicely balanced" is not a phrase that's welcome in this house, but this is a rare case where balanced works. There are a lot of mediocre to pretty good DIPAs out there, this one has a bit of a different twist, & points for that. Very good beer.

maximum12, Apr 04, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a tulip glass.

Pours a rich reddish-amber hue with a bit of chill haze; capped with a creamy beige crown that shows excellent retention and holds tightly to the sides of the glass, leaving behind thick rings of lace at every settling point along the way to its finish.

Aroma is a delightful melange of fruity (apricot), floral, and tea-like herbal hop notes, with sweet malty aroma playing but a supporting role.

A slick, medium body is interspersed with moderate carbonation. Rich, chewy malt delivers the introduction, caramel-sweet; hops fill the majority of the palate, with sweet, juicy ripe fruit notes, just a pinch of grapefruit peel, and a touch of acidity as the beer moves toward its faintly bittersweet finish.

Mild on the palate for such a big beer, making it infinitely drinkable if you ignore the 8.7% ABV. Wonderfully delicious and yet another testament to the quality of canned craft beer from Oskar Blues.

superdedooperboy, Mar 31, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

A= Dark amber color with a small head that sticks around throughout the entire drink and leaves some decent lacing. Opaque in appearance and I actually notice a few black floaties in it.
S= Not a whole lot of a smell actually. More malty of a smell than I expected with the hops of course coming through.
T= Malty as hell for an IPA. Maybe this is an old can. I get quite the metallic taste from it as well. Hops do come through in a herbal and slightly piney sort of way. Tastes a little watered down and sweet like tea. The more I sip the more it grows on me but I do wanna say it's malty and not nearly as hoppy as I expected. Still good though. The more I think about it the more it tastes like sweet tea from down south.
M= Low carbonation which I love and a smooth finish
D= Very high. After I take a few more sips and allow it to breath for just a moment it tastes quite nice and the metallic flavor fades but the sweet tea flavor stays around.

jjanega08, Mar 31, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Taken from notes a couple days ago. 12 oz can I picked up at Cheers Beverage in the form of a $10.99 four pack. Seems a bit steep, but what the hell since I saw it earlier for $14 in Douglassville. Served up in my DFH shaped pint glass.

A: Pours a really nice dark and rich orange color that is almost red in places. Held to the light that orange is really nice and radiant. The beer is somewhat hazy and has a touch of cloud to it. The head is a good finger and a half on the pour and it has some really nice staying power. Retention throughout the experience. The head is a white with a touch of apricot tint to it (sorry I seem to be liking the color apricot lately). The lace is thick and sticky, glazing the glass all the way down with pillowy and chunky lace. Nice.

S: Smell is somewhat hop forward but what else do you expect from a DIPA? Getting alot of pine and grapefruit coming out, but it isn't slapping you around with hop ego laden dominance. The malts are allowed to play here with a little bit of caramel and sugar sweetness. Sure it doesn't have a whole lot going on but it smells good.

T: This is really interesting. You get that intial wave of dry and bitter hops in your face. The hops have a bit of pine resin and grapefruit qualities to mix it up a bit. But that wave ends in a smooth pool of malty goodness. Some seriously creamy caramel malt comes in with a cooling of the hops and just an almost perfect sweetness to it. A bit of vanilla that is reminds me a touch of what you get from some oak is in there as well. There is a serious richness to this malt that can only be balanced by a serious base of a DIPA. I think this beer works incredibly well in the taste category.

M: WHAT? A medium to full bodied DIPA with a really nice creamy texture to it? I must know more! The carbonation really works with the creamy thickness here. ABV is almost without notice, and this seems like quite a feat at almost 9%. Not as dry as your usual DIPA, but I like the change that the malt backbone provides here. The beer has a slightly syrupy coating to the mouth and palate, leaving that sticky malt goodness for the aftertaste.

D: I would say so. I consumed this can in mere minutes trying to wrap my head around it. It doesn't sit heavy in the stomach, so that is not a problem. It doesn't have the typical over drying of a regular DIPA, so that doesn't pose a problem. Then again it doesn't have that overly cloying presence of a super malty brew. This beer rides a fine line and really pulls something beautiful off. A big presence in both hops and malt that you can't taste the large alcohol level in and its in a CAN! I almost didn't give it a 5 due to the price (since I like to factor in price to drinkability) but this works for a treat from time to time. This beer works for me, but then again I like malty IPAs and DIPAs. If you don't like malt in your DIPAs, you probably won't be as impressed.

everetends, Mar 30, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

I feel wierd about Gordon, here...

The head on this beer was crazy thick. I fished a little off the top and it stuck to my finger like cotton candy. As I sip on it I am forced to wonder if it were my high expectations or simply the beer letting me down, but this was not what i expected. Its not hoppy enough to be a DIPA, and though it has it's fair share of booze in it, it is unnoticeable. This was by no means a bad beer and again, maybe its not Gordon... But I am not impressed. Furthermore, for the price tag, I was expecting greatness... but if I could do it again, I would just spend it on a pack of 90 minute or even a six of Maximus

Maybe my next can will be better, maybe i have a dud, maybe I'm optimistic...

gregmoscetti, Mar 30, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

This quaffable beer pours a nice dark cherry Amber. Reminds me of my Nugget Nectar in color with a frothy head and lots of delicate lacing. If this beer had garters it would be a hell of a sight. It's perfumed by a strong caramel malt with accents of piney sharpness. The carbonation tickles the tip of your toungue while the bitter hoppiness rolls over the middle. There is a sturdy alchohol finish. The mouthfeel is quite nice and doesn't leave one wanting. And, you've got to love good beer in a can.

Gilgemesh, Mar 26, 2009

12oz can in chalice

A: brown copper color with a slight haze. light carbonation and now head

S: Hops and caramel malt are both noticeable in the nose. However this one smells a little old or stale, that aside, a very pleasant aroma

T: Nice hoppy flavor up front with a nice toasted not caramel malt profile following quickly behind. Very little bitterness in ratio to the malt and hop flavor.

M: smooth feel, low carbonation, and full body.

D: very drinkable for an old strong hoppy beer in a can! I say that tongue in cheek. I will be buying more of this.

Naugled, Mar 26, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -33.1%

Paid $10.49 for a 4 pack of 12oz bottles from BevMo in San Jose, CA. As indicated on bottom of can, this was canned on 11-13-08. Poured into a small snifter with one pour.

This beer yields a small head of less than a quarter inch after an aggressive pour. Slightly cloudy amber/orange color. Minimal carbonation. No retention. Minimal lacing.

Smell is quite strong and well balanced. There is a good malt backbone to this DIPA. The alcohol could be better hidden for its ABV. Hops are well balanced and could be fresher and stronger. Adjunct/raw aromas put turn me off a bit.

Taste is pretty well balanced, but I'm missing the hop character I look for in a DIPA.

Mouth is average for a DIPA. Lacks good carbonation, which in turn affects its drinkability. Medium body. Light aftertaste.

Did I get a bad batch? Wow, this is VERY unimpressive.

ibbjamin, Mar 25, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A. Hazy reddish copper color. Off white head that settles to about 1/16" and laces nicely. Great looking beer.
S. Dates, figs, nuts, vanilla and faint pine with a hint of alcohol underneath it all. Pretty complex smelling stuff.
T. This is a very malty DIPA. The first time I tried this beer it was after having a can of Furious - big mistake as Gordon came across overly sweet. Tonight this is my first beer and the malty sweetness is not bothersome. Hops are present, especially on the aftertaste, but not what one would expect from a DIPA.
M. Creamy, lightly carbonated - well crafted beer.
D. Goes down easily. Not sure about more than two in a session given the nearly 9% ABV (which is well hidden) and sweetness.

Overall, I like this beer a lot and give it kudos for being packed in a can. A bit atypical for a DIPA with its overabundance of malt flavor but I guess that is part of its charm. This will be on my shortlist when drinking in areas that don't allow bottles.

bound4er, Mar 25, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

A: This is a beautiful beer. It's almost red in color, with a good amount of nice tannish head that sticks around and laces. That's the beauty of having this beer on tap as opposed to in a can.

S: Citrusy and piney - this is a very fragrant beer.

T: The piney hops really dominate here. This is a bitter (though very tasty if you're into that sort of thing) IPA, so be prepared.

M: Coats the tongue without being syrupy. Quite nice.

D: After two of these my tongue felt a bit parched from the bitterness, so I didn't have a third. That being said, it's very easy to drink given that it's 8.7%. The alcohol taste is very subtle if not unnoticable.

hsway, Mar 22, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: An orangish copper color, very similar to the color of Dale's Pale.

S: Some light sweet malt with a big dose of American hops.

T: Excellent balance. A big layer of slightly sweet caramel malt with American citrus hops on top. The big dose of hops is not that apparent because of all the hops. Not that bitter in the finish but it is a bit on the dry side.

M: Smooth and medium-full body.

D: A very good DIPA. My second beer from Oskar Blues and I'm very impressed.

willjschmidt, Mar 19, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +1%

Canned on 12/30/08.

A - Pours an orange/red with a frothy tan head that fades to a thin layer after a minute or so. Pretty lazy carbonation. No lacing.

S - Huge piney aroma that turns into lots of citrus. There's a really big pineapple note with a tiny amount of malt noticeable in the back. There's a nectarine note with a small alcohol presence. It was hard enough to get through writing that without tasting it, haha.

T - Lots of piney hops, but the flavor is actually really dominated by the citrus fruits mentioned above. There's a sweetness to it that reminds me of dried, sugared pineapple. The sweetness is a little overbearing a little, though. Finishes with some sweetness and caramel malt, though the two are distinctly separate to me.

MF - Some alcohol heats the mouth, but not as much as I'd expect considering the ABV. The carbonation isn't very high, so it's still somewhat smooth, even with the heat. Leaves a sappy, hoppy coating of goodness.

D - At 8.7%, it's really drinkable. However, the sweetness is just a little too much for me, and that would be the sole factor in keeping me back from drinking more than one or two.

HitokiriNate85, Mar 19, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: A rich, dark red-orange body with a two-finger tall, off-white head. Brilliant lacing.

Aroma: Tons of Cascadey hops over a solid, sweet caramel malt base. This is absolutely excellent.

Taste: An excellent wave of citrusy hops up front with plenty of sweet caramel malt underneath. This is one of the most balanced Double IPAs I've had the pleasure to try. The alcohol is hidden excellently.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full bodied with adequate carbonation.

Drinkability: Above average for the style, but you're still going to have to pace yourself with the 8.7% alcohol.

Verdict: Balanced with a big caramel backbone, Gordon has a unique flavor profile for a Double IPA. While it's certainly somewhat less hop-centric and more drinkable than most Double IPAs, don't be fooled into thinking it's weak.

BeanBone, Mar 18, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Served in a 10 oz pilsner glass from the tap.

A: Cloudy deep amber, reddish really. Nice thick fluffy white head that was just so soft....maybe two fingers thick.
Good lacing on the glass.

S: Mild citrus and pine aroma, and of course, lots of hoppyness. Still, very sweet smelling, almost made me think of a piece of cake. Somewhat malty with just a touch of chocolate to it. Weird, huh?

T: Woah! Just what I expected from the smell! Wasn't as intense as other DIPAs I've had, but still very good. Just a hint of grain and alcohol on the finish. Full bodied, but could use a bit more bitterness.

M: Very sticky, almost syrupy. Coated every square inch of the inside of my mouth. Just enough carbonation to give it a kick.

D: Very friendly beer. I think this beer should appeal to just about anyone who likes a smooth beer that's not too strong.

jlb307, Mar 18, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Oh the world of craft beers in cans. Poured this into my Dogfish Head pint glass tonight...

A: A small hiss of CO2 comes through as the can is cracked open. It pours very sludgy into the pint glass and you can tell right away this beer is sticky. It forms a one finger head but dissipates quickly to almost nothing. This one laces fantastically however.

S: Smell is pretty intense with sweet caramel coupled with orange, pineapple, and lemon. The citrus hops really show their true colors in this and they overpower any pine hops that I can tell. Some nice vanilla toffee comes through on the end with the caramel.

T: Very smooth and drinkable with tons of sweet, sticky, sludgy caramel. Very good mix of hops and malt in this. The hops are prevalent, but I would not consider this a hop bomb. The citrus hops yield a nice flavor of orange and pineapple.

Overall, this beer is very good and very drinkable for a DIPA. It has a great mix of malt and hops, almost perfect.

treyrab, Mar 17, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -17.3%

Reviewed 6/26/2008 (can):

Pours a reddish colored body, with a bubbly white colored head. Has a nice grapefruity, hoppy aroma, very piney. It very much smells like an IPA. Has a bitter hoppy taste, and a malty aftertaste. A nice sweet taste. Okay, not bad.

jujubeast6000, Mar 15, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Can from Market Street Wine, downtown location, Charlottesville, VA. Poured into a cervoise.

Appearance: Pours a thoroughly hazy, deep reddish amber, capped by a clingy, foamy, sticky one-finger of offwhite, perhaps tan head. The retention is pretty solid, and the lacing it leaves once you start sipping solid as well - glittery and runny in some places, sticky and sheet-like in others. An attractive looking brew.

Aroma: This beer's best feature perhaps. Huge, resinous pine, slightly spicy, coupled with syrupy, ruby red grapefruit notes and hints of pineapple, orange zest, and tobacco. The syrupy notes are courtesy of the heavily roasted, sticky-smelling malt backbone, providing the perfect compliment to juicy, sticky hop notes. A very nice smelling brew.

Taste: Far more tame than you'd imagine from the nose. Pine notes still dominate, coupled with leafy, tobacco-like influences, all over a relatively sugary-sweet and well-roasted, caramelized malt backbone. The "after feel" - technically a tasting note, I suppose, i.e. the belch - is spicy as well, slightly fruity, with hints of cherry and strawberry. The bitterness is surprisingly mild, though it's possible I got an older can.

Mouthfeel: A little on the thick side, but with enough buried carbonation that slight agitation results in a creamy, milky mouthfeel, sort of like a pine milkshake. What, a pine milkshake doesn't sound tasty to you?

Drinkability: Much better out of the can than on tap, in my opinion, though perhaps that's just my now-converted-to-the-ways-of-the-can mentality. No hint of tinnyness in this one, and I must say I enjoyed it thoroughly. I'd like to compare it alongside a super-fresh can to see if the taste is a little fiercer fresh - my only "real" complaint about this one would be the bit of a letdown that results from the nose-to-tongue move.

CrellMoset, Mar 09, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

Served from a 12oz can (naturally) in my SABL glass at between fridge and cellar temperature.

A - Pours with close to the same viscosity and color as brand new motor oil -- hazy orange-gold in color. Small, but puffy off white head slowly rises. Lacing comes in rings, and head retention comes in the form of a thin mat.

S - Fruity and grapefruit citrusy without the acidic snap in the nose that some DIPAs can impart. Honey and green herbals.

T - Sweetness is subtle and quick, followed by a bitter snap and a rush of feisty alcohol. Hop profile is something I would expect from a Czech Pils. Not sure if there are actually any European hops in there, but the bittering is very similar. Finish is snappy and bright with a tenacious lingering bitterness.

M - Slick and thick coming in. Very tingly on the tongue, growing to be quite active and expansive. Creamy and full. Swallow is frothy and just a smidge belly filling.

D - One thing I liked is that you don't get slammed over the head with a crazy sweetness in an attempt to overcome the aggressive bitterness. Instead, the hops get free reign. Good example of the style, and very enjoyable, if you don't mind a little alcohol presence.

EPseja, Mar 08, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

11.99 for a 4-Pack? Dub tee eff...

A: Only turn off about this brew. There was plenty of honey touch but hard to see through. Just a bit of a turn off in the filtration process.

S: Holy cow, by far one of the best smelling IPAs out there. This, this is incredible. The sweet brandy like candy and pine that seeps from this brew is unmistakable. Fruits upon fruits mixed with pine, no grassy tones and pumped with a sweet candy in the background. Just hard to give this puppy a five seeing there are many IPAs. Maybe Ill edit later...

T: Great, full of flavor, everything in the nose. Sweet candied fruit balanced by some beautiful pine. Citrus out the chang. Good, good, good.

M: Thin but helps with the drinkability (dont quote me!), which sets it apart from every other freaking IPA out there.

D: Wonderful.

Overall: Pleasant surprise coming from a can, but then again, it was 11.99 for a 4.

AMoceri7, Mar 07, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I should start this review by saying that, while I will try to be objective and fair in this review, I have a sweet spot for Gordon like no other beer.

Served from a 12oz can, yeah buddy!

A- Caramel/copper brown, amazing clarity, good white head that reduced to a thick skim and leaves a spider-web all of the way down my glass.

S-Sweet malt and a slight grassy/ piney hop aroma. Kind of smells like Louisiana King cake.

T-This is one of the most well integrated big beers I have ever tasted. Caramel, biscuit and cereal grains with an ever so slight alcohol twinge. The hops are well paired with the grain, nice herbal woody front followed by some citrus and a deep long lasting bitterness. It's really tasty.

M-Pillowy soft with a full body and just enough Co2 to rinse the plaate semi-clean.

D-Yes please! I can enjoy one just as easily as I can finish the four pack.

I go to Ward CO every so often to get spring water and having Oskar Blues only a little out of the way is truly a treat. They have amazing beers and the restaurant is just what a backwoods homebrewing pseudo hippy punk like me is looking for. Thanks for being as strange, fun, cool and having great beer Oskar Blues

MinorThreat, Mar 05, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From Notes: 12/6/08

Appearance=Vigorous pour into Frog and Peach Pint glass (shout out to my local "dive" bar) yields a 1.5 finger fluffy head. Great looking beer. Cascading rings the whole way down the glass. Deep color, Amber/reddish.

Smell=Glorious hops. Although not a DIPA smell I thought it would have.

Taste=Very tasty beer. Although, not the DIPA taste I thought it would have.

Mouthfeel= almost perfect! Long lasting hop resin in mouth.

Drinkability=High considering the abv. 4 cans and I'm toast. I expected a hop bomb though. Didn't get one but I'm not disappointed. Very tasty brew. I would probably consider this a cross between an Imperial Red and DIPA.

RJ

Grabbin2nd, Feb 22, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

Amber to red color, nice bone colored head. Good bubbles. A bit of butterscotch in the nose. Some tea-ish hop aromas, grassy green. Not as strong as I would expect in an d-ipa. Same thing with the flavor. Great malt flavor, sweet. Just no hop bomb, which is what I'd expect. Tasty though. Smooth and lush. All together a good drinker. The 8.7 percent would definitely sneak up on yah if you aren't careful.

AChamberlain, Feb 20, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Haven't been on that big of a hop kick lately, but I'm thinking that should change. Pours a hazy brass with gold hues into a tulip. The one-finger of head recedes quickly, and some streaks of horizontal and vertical desultory lace are left behind. Smell consists of huge hops mixed in with an undercurrent of grapefruit and orange and some very subtle sweet malts toward the end, which makes for a very aromatically satisfying blend of ingredients. The first sip surprisingly has a good grainy base which is strategically attacked by the hops with perfect timing. Sweet beer bread and spicy candy also exist. This is an excellent Double IPA that definitely has it's own unique character that I predict will draw me back time and again.

stephens101, Feb 20, 2009