G'Knight Imperial Red Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

G'Knight Imperial Red AleG'Knight Imperial Red Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Classified by the brewery as an "Imperial Red/Double IPA" 8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of G'Knight Imperial Red Ale Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

There has been some discussion recently of how American Barleywines are similar to IIPA's. And I believe Gordon is a fair example of this.

Poured from the can into my Unibroue tulip. pours a reddish/amber brown? I cannot see through my glass, so it definitely isn't clear, but I might not want to call it hazy either. I gave it's appearance a 4.5 because the of the sticky lacing. For some reason it appeals to me right now

The aroma reminds me of a bunch of American Barleywines I have been drinking of late. Very rich, malty, maybe even sweet, but you are still quite aware of the hops. Dark and fruity. First impression it reminded me of Old Guardian or Double Bastard (something about it just triggered memories of Stone in my brain, though I haven't had either in months)

I have had this several times in the past, but the taste this time did not pack as big a hop punch as I had remembered. Which really means that on this occasion I have to mark it highly for having a well-balanced taste of hops and malt. Not too sweet, not too bitter, probably only a little too delicious

Drinkability is as high as it is because it is hard to tell the abv% and I wouldn't mind drinking this frequently. Very smooth.

shaebs99, Mar 02, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

I wasn't impressed with many of the Oskar beers that I had tried during the night, so I had low expectations for this one. But surprisingly, it was delicious! A well-balanced beer with a good amount of fresh hops. Mouthfeel was average, but the smell was fantastic. Just lots of hops coming through. And I couldn't tell it was as high in alcohol as it was, it was well-rounded. This is one that I would have again.

alysmith4, Mar 01, 2008

Another OB beer obtained in a trade with jjayjaye, 12oz can poured into a Sam Adams specialty glass

Appearance is cloudy orange-to-brown hue with a fair amount of moderate white foam that dissipates to a ring, big sticky lacing on the glass

Smell is mostly piney hops with slight citrus, sweet caramel malts, alcohol, and a touch of (dare I?) chocolate peppermint!

Taste is characterized initially by those unique piney/floral hops and flowing quickly to biscuity/caramel malts, some sugary sweet spices, citrus, and chocolate pop up and this finishes mostly sweet and bitter

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, thick and oily texture coats the mouth, moderate carbonation

Drinkability is moderate, I would like to have seen more of a hop presence here but it scores points for balance, the sweet profile is a little strange (like chocolate and candy mixed) and detracts a bit from drinking in larger quantities, i like Gordon but it definitely falls behind Dale's and Old Chubb IMHO.

Stoneman78, Feb 26, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to PEBKAC for this nice brew.

12oz. can poured into a snifter.

A: Pours deep rusty ruby that's too deep for much visibility. 1+ fingers of off white head that has good retention. Some blanketing of lace.

S: big grapefruit and pungent pine. Plenty of resin. Big deeply sweet malts that are pretty powerful. Some oak as well.

T/M: The bitterness is controlled but there. Sweet oaky citrus is n early dominant if not for a strong malt backbone. The oaky hops remind me of oaked AB a bit. Finishes dry with lasting bitterness.

D: Bitterness isn't harsh so it's decently drinkable. I'll try more thanks to the 4 pack.

pwoods, Feb 25, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Nicely red for a DIPA, tons of lacing, moderate amount of head that retains to a caked on layer. Smell is lots of earthy hops, some citrus, some maltiness in there but hard to distinguish. Taste is much more balanced than the smell would suggest. Nice malt backbone, caramel, toasted malts, floral hops with a wonderfully dry, bitter finish. I've only sampled one other beer from this brewery so far (Old Chub Ale), and I've been really impressed by both of them. I only picked up one this time but I'll be back soon to pick up a six pack.

PlaywrightSam, Feb 25, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 12 oz can, from Oxymoron

P: Pours a deep copper under a fingers worth of white head. Nice retention and lace.

S: Smells piney hops with a splash of bittersweet grapefruit. Some lighter citrus notes sneak in as well.

T: Again, a lot of piney hops, very bitter. Slight hints of tangy citrus, and the malt is represented reasonable well with some hints of caramel.

M/D: Medium to full bodied, prickly carbonation, lots of hops oils in there. Decent drinkability. Not the best example of the style I have had, but it's good.

NCSUdo, Feb 24, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -23.4%

Amber colored with about 2 fingers of head. Actually leaves a pretty good lacing, which I did not expect.

Smells hoppy. Piney and a little citrusy. I also pick up some malt.

The taste of this beer surprised me. Up front I not only noticed a piney hop taste, but a strong chocolately malt too. Much maltier than I would have guessed. finishes with more hop that tastes slightly like grapefruit. The taste that seems to stay in my mouth is malt. I'm not sure if I like that or not.

The mouthfeel is fine, very smooth and light actually.

I couldn't drink too many of these to be honest, I don't like the aftertaste.

Hojaminbag, Feb 23, 2008

From notes taken at the Hop Devil Grill:
Pours... IPA colored! Orange/bronze with lots of lacing.
Scents remind me of... pot. Great Divide's Hercules comes to mind but not as impressive to me. Big hoppy odors.
Flavors are reminding me of Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe IPA and that's a good thing. Rich hop flavors in a mellow citrus kind of way. The flavor type lends to a smooth mouthfeel and experience. Not as mouth puckering as some other examples of the style. The smooth mouthfeel makes for high drinkability. Finishing a serving was easy to do. I'd be happy to have this again.

ommegangpbr, Feb 20, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

This beer pours an orange-amber color from the can with a nice off-white head that laces down the glass. The aroma is of deep sweet malts and citrisy and floral hops that make it a nice double IPA smell. The aroma follows through to the taste. A big bold malty base starts it off with great citrisy, piny, and floraly hops build on top for a great IPA flavor. It has a nice crisp mouthfeel with a nice fresh feeling finish. The drinkability is good, especially for an IPA of this magnitude. Great beer, definately worth a try if it's available.

erosier, Feb 19, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Man, this is one kick ass beer here....I loved everything about this one.

Looks a little like Arrogant B. when it's poured. Very red and inviting with a fluffy head....

Smells hoppy, hoppy, hoppy... A little shocked with the aroma. I was expecting more of a malt presence but I ain't complaining.

Extremely hoppy taste that is also sweet and malty in all the right ways...

If I could acquire this beer here, it would be my go to brew. Simply incredible....

Tilley4, Feb 18, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

12 oz can copped for about $4.00 from Gary's in Madison... heard a lot of good things about this brewery and beer, so I had high hopes for this one... Just recently sampled Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale, and was really impressed - this one is certainly a step-up and one of the better American brews I've sampled... the style is very unique and intricate... the best way to describe it is that it falls somewhere between a highly-hopped IPA and a strong Imperial Red / Amber Ale... nice copper / bronze appearance with minimal head that soon receded... smell was literally bursting with citrus, grapefruit, and hops... the bittersweet aroma really came through on this one, and in addition, was greatly manifested in the taste, as well... Flavor combined the finest elements of both an IPA and an Imperial Amber... great citrus, grapefruit, lemon flavor that included strong florals and fresh fruit notes along with a heavy dose of fresh hops... One of the great American beers, for sure... Great thick, and rich mouthfeel led to an equally good level of drinkability that took a slight bump due to the hefty 8.7% ABV... otherwise, the alcohol is hardly noticeable behind a fresh burst of hops, amber, and grapefruit... Excellent stuff... Definitely recommended...

dsa7783, Feb 17, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can provided as an extra from seaoflament, thanks for giving me and my girlfriend a chance to try this brew, split tonight and poured into my Flying Dog pint glass

A-Deep orange color with hints of red in the light, big one inch white foamy head, nice retention, sticky lacing the entire time

S-Citrus hops, deep malt aromas, grapefruit was pretty dominant, grassy scents, faint spice, peaches, raisins, and bread

T-Grapefruit at the beginning with some pine needles, big biscuity malt in the middle, some dry hops in the finish that were pretty weak, as it warmed got too sweet from my liking, also weird tastes of cinnamon and ginger came to the surface, not balanced as far as hoppiness goes, DIPA that definitely uses a huge malt backbone, not too bad overall

M-Sweet and creamy mouthfeel, a little sweet, medium body, taste lingered for about a minute, could have used some more carbonation

D-Can or two would be good for me, too malty and sweet after a while, the high ABV does not help either, filling, and not on the smooth side

Well, being that I drank Ten Fidy before this I was let down by the quality of this compared to that but then I realized it is two completely different styles and I remained a fan of this brewery from what I have seen, not hoppy enough for me but still worth a try

Floydster, Feb 17, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Deep amber coloration, murky and hazy. Frothy head 3 tips and sat on top the whole way down. Lacing was pretty decent as well.

S - Very sweet grapefruit tone, with a nice blend of malt and hop, smells like this one will be balanced.

T - Abv is instantly apparent, and initially the taste profile is sweet and citrusy, but quickly gets washed away by the bitterness. Decent hop content and a nice backing. Well rounded.

M - Slightly harsh on the palate. decent carbonation level, dry medium body, no leftover residues.

D - Not too bad overall, I'd say it's definitely worth a try. Not my favorite for the style, but certainly one of the more well rounded offerings.

PhageLab, Feb 12, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Enjoyed in a wine glass.
A: Can opens with minimal pffft, but craft from a can is so intriguing! This is my first craft can. Red with some slight brown. 1/4 finger of head soon subsides to a ring. I'd like more head.
S: Hops are at first spicy. Definite cannabid smelling hops. Cinnamon raisin bread hints.
T: Hops are not as strong as they smelled, though nice amount for a DIPA. They give way to a nice malty sweetness that nicely accents. No alcohol flavor, and no can flavor. A whole grain bread flavor is there too. This went really well with black bean flautas.
M: Though head was lacking, the beer was well carbonated. In fact, it is a very tingly beer. A little bit of a Sunny D type residue was left in my mouth.
D: Oh yeah! I want more! I wish it was a six pack so I could share with friends and have two or three myself!

dfillius, Feb 11, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +18%

Had this on tap at the Dirty Truth in Northampton MA. I've had this in cans and always liked it, but on tap it is a very different beer. The appearance is a nice reddish amber and the lacing nice and sticky and persistent. The smell blew me away.... I finally realized what is reminded me of and it was SN Harvest. The hop smell was so full and fresh. Even more flavors came through in the taste, which reminded me even more of the wet-hopped SN harvest. Not sure if this beer is wet-hopped or not, but it certainly tastes like it.

Beercub, Feb 10, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Pours a sunset orangish red color with a nice, big, off white head.

S- Smells very hoppy with a deep bready malt backbone.

T- Taste is much less hoppy than expected, bready malt character all the way through, fairly mild with a nice hop bitterness at the end.

M- About medium viscosity, carbonation a little on the light side.

D- Not extremely stand out, but such a well balanced DIPA it's hard not to like it.

Lothore, Feb 10, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

Picked this one up in a trade with marcpal. Thanks Marc.

Poured from a can a rich clear amber color with with thin off-white head.

Beautiful aroma with this one. A nice punch of grapefruit, peaches, ginger, and pine meet the nose.

The taste is hops and more hops with grapefruit, lemon, ginger, and pine with a nice maltiness for balance. Finish is like a spoonful of sugar. This has 8.7% alcohol? You'd never know it.

Medium mouthfeel, creamy and softly carbonated.

This is the best beer I've had in a can and one of my favorites overall. Easy to drink and easier to enjoy.

Monkeyknife, Feb 08, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +1%

Recieved in trade from Oxymoron on 2/5/08

12 0z can> 16 oz SA glass.

Pours out of the can a vibrant amber with rusty-red hues, nice big bubbles are rushing fast, but that motivation seems to slow down as time goes by. The head is impressive at two-finger's deep, very clumpy, foamy and sticky, slightly off-white in color, it has plenty of staying power, dissipates slowly. The gets really funky with high peaks and clumps as it dissipates.

This one has a very "fresh hop" scent with herbal, tangy citrus hop effect. Not "green" or leafy, more herbal and hardy. Way down there's a hint of sweet, red berries.

This is one of the finest hop-dominated flavors I've had. First off, the balance is great which includes a nice malty precense that's toasty and slightly caramel-like sweet. But the bold and complex hop flavor is where it's at, Very "fresh hop" flavored with herbal and all-spice effects but also tangy, citrus fruits and a mild bitter dry finish. The 8.7 % abv is very well hidden here, in fact, it really sneaks up on you.

Medium bodied, crispy at first and then levels off a bit, but smooth and slick on the tongue. Pretty nice.

This is a pumped-up IPA that is highly drinkable, but watch out because that nearly 9% abv will hit after. Gotta dig the can.

GratefulBeerGuy, Feb 06, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a can, into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Not a whole lot of carbonation when I "popped the cap". This is your first indication that, tho packed in a can, this ain't your typical beer in a can like the macrobrews. No significant carbonation escaping upon opening. Poured a gentle amber color with little head formation. After finishing the pour, a half-finger head remained with a good amount of lacing retaining along the sides.

Smell: Pungent tho' well-balanced "fruit-cocktail" aroma. Thick with grapefruit and the expected citrus hoppy nose from a double IPA. You know what is coming, might as well smell it before hand. I'm thinking the balance comes from the malt which seems to cut what could be a huge hop nose.

Taste: Malt underpinnings keeping the hops in line. Alot of sweet as provided by the malt, but a very pleasant mild bite from the hops. Very, very suprised by the balance. However, don't be fooled, you will be tasting quite a bit of hops.

Mouthfeel: Thick upon initial intake, but clears nicely at the end, leaving little of the sticky mouthfeel that you would expect with such a sugary presentation. The carbonation is slight and does not add much at all to the overall body of this beer. However, it does it's job of cleaning off your tongue before the next draw.

Drinkability: I must admit, I am a Russian Imperial Stout and Belgian Dark Ale man, this was a "walk on the wild side" for me. Something that was a "cathode" to my "anode" taste profile. Be that as it may, I've run through one four-pack and have purchased another. This beer has indeed widened my boundries. Perhaps wide enough to try the Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA I have in my beer cellar. Well done on all accounts.

Nesued, Feb 02, 2008

In memory of Gordon Knight.

Burnt amber colored body with a small one finger white head.

Thick piney notes.I mean THICK! I cant smell anything else.

Piney hops upfront.Nice beiiterness, then some maltiness.Nice evenining out between the two.Dank taste on your tongue.

Nice carbonation.Not offensive at all.

Very good beer from OB.They have not let me down yet.

MmmIPA, Feb 01, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -16.1%

12 oz can poured into my New Belgium goblet, Gordon is a clear amber with a large, very tight head that leaves heavy lace and settles to a large island of foam on the surface. Served at cellar temp.

Smell is moderate, spicy, piny hops and gingerbread. I was hopping for a bigger blast of hops.

Taste is surprisingly soft, same as the nose, with a fairly bitter finish. There's also a sweet grapefruit component to it that I don't care, and makes me question the freshness of this particular can. The high IBV is very well hidden, and overall this is very smooth. Problem is, that's not what I really look for in a DIPA - I want in your face hops! Wonder if it's the week or two at room temp since I received this in trade that did it in, or perhaps the fabled can? Even if it's just the brewer's intent, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this one.

Mouthfeel is pretty soft and creamy, medium bodied.

Drinkability is above average. Not bad tasting, but not that impressive either. However, it's super smooth, and went down in a hurry, really warming up the cheeks easily. I'd like to try it on fresh draught at the pub to really compare, but as it stands now, am in no hurry to do so.

ccrida, Jan 30, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

I have to admit I hadn't looked into Oskar beers at all until I got a few of these beers. I'm really impressed with this, very well done.
A- Red amber with long-lasting two finger tan head. Very clear, great appearance.
S- Lots of hoppy notes dominate - grapefruit, piney resin, citrus - along with a sweet, malty backbone. Well balanced with definite highlights.
T- Healthy doses of hops start to finish. Loads of sticky, juicy american hop flavors - again citrusy, resiny - as well as plenty of assertive chewing-on-rind bitterness, though never overwhelming. The hops stand out very, very clearly, but there is still a good malt presence balancing out - light notes of malt sweetness, toffee, caramel. No alcohol presence, surprising at nearly nine per cent ABV.
M- Big and full in the mouth with enough carbonation to keep Gordon from being cloying. Finishes with a lingering bitterness and a resiny sweetness.
D- Really well done, never overpowering or overwhelming, better balance than most. High bittering, but low alcohol presence and great flavors make it a great choice. Not what you'd expect beer from a can to be.

BiereBlanche, Jan 29, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +8.3%

Have to admit, I am still having trouble getting used to a can, but man, was I impressed.
Beer poured a medium straw color, with a big, rocky head. The head on this beer was so impressive, I wanted to use a spoon to wade my way through it.
Smell was a good mix of malt and hops...the hops taking a back seat.
Taste was amazing. Full malty compliment. Caramel, bready with a good balance of hops. The malt backbone is what brought this beer home.
Excellent beer....

dmamiano, Jan 27, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

A- clear copper brew with 1 finger of off white foam, good retent

S- strong pine and grassy hops, leafy

T- toasted malts with suggestion of caramel and toffee, lots of hops;leafy and pine including a spicy pine bite at the finish

M- starts smooth but that yields to the hops and carbonation thus making it coarse

D- limited complexity, but very enjoyable, strong points include the scent and mouthfeel; recommended

tonistruth, Jan 26, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

L:The beer itself is a light brown with a reddish tint Frothy off white head.
S: A few sweet characteristics. First I pick up a bit of sweet caramel followed by sweet candied apricots(yeah!!!!).
T:Very pungent grapefruit hops on the back. A bit of piney hops as well. Just a slight caramel sweetness in there.
M:Thick and round
D:Awesome brew. I love anything this great out of a can.

Scoobydank, Jan 24, 2008