G'Knight Imperial Red Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

G'Knight Imperial Red AleG'Knight Imperial Red Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Classified by the brewery as an "Imperial Red/Double IPA" 8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of G'Knight Imperial Red Ale Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Decanted from a 12-ounce can into a Duvel glass. Interesting silver and green design. No decernable freshness/brewed on date noted.

Quite a sight as it exits the can. Huge pillow of egg-shell colored foam with nice density. Color is a ruby-like, almost the color of cranberry juice. One of the more tantalizing brews I've seen.

Nose is pine sap, citrusy fruit, and a hint of berry. A bit of caramel aroma pops up as well. Perhaps a bit of plum? This ought to be fun.

The first sip is a malty slam that gives way to a terrifically bitter, dry finish. Hops, though there, are a bit subdued on the first sip. Its the stunning pucker at the end where the make their most notable appearance. The middles suggests caramel (as suggested by the nose) and pumperknikel bread. The alcohol is very well hidden, though it begins to peak out its head a bit more as it warms up.

As I swirl the beer in my mouth, it coats the tongue beautifully. Thick, rich, and creamy, its on the full side of medium and ideal for a brew of this style.

As I wrap up the glass, I certainly want another one. The nice malt balance and the pine sappy finish are quite agreeable and make this a surprisingly drinkable concoction. They come in a four-pack, and I think I would have no reservations about going for the lot of them. A treat. Though its classifed as a DIPA on BA, I find it more in line with Terrapin's Big Hoppy Monster, which is labeled an imperial red. Splitting hairs, but that sounds more accurate to me.

0tt0, Mar 28, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

From a plain metal can with a green and white sticker on it. I'd better get to this before it gets old...

I never knew Gordon Knight (the guy this beer's named for), and I never will, but if this beer's any reflection of him (as the can suggests), I think we would've gotten along just fine. He was a seemingly unstoppable brewer, involved in the opening of many brew pubs early in the day, and a helicopter pilot that fought forest fires (and died doing it in 2002). It's a winner, and he was too; and I could only dream that if my friends made a beer in memoriam to me it would be this good!

That said, unlike many other big IPA's that slap you down with raspy hops and loaded bitterness, this one is soft like a baby's blanket. It's rich malty base is the perfect support for it's resiny hop load. It's caramelish, and even slightly chocolatey, but perfectly balanced by the softly piney and grassy hops. The bitterness is even soft. It's 85 IBU's are barely felt - against the plush malt background it seems more like 35 or 40!!! It's remarkably rich and mellow at the same time... hoppy, but not so hoppy... malty but not sweet. IT'S RIDICULOUSLY GOOD! And stunningly drinkable!!! And I have to say this, but not because of the can thing, although that's great and I'm all for it, and excited that it's catching on, but... this is one hell of a beer for relaxing around the campfire with. It reminds me of my homebrew club camping trips... big, soft, hoppy beers - and you only need one or two because they satisfy. Good times! Oskar Blues keep doing it!!! It takes a lot to turn my head, but damned if this one didn't do it! Highest praises! ...Now I need to go get more!!!

NeroFiddled, Mar 27, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

For my 600th review, I'm going with my beer namesake. Presented in a nifty green and silver can with my name displayed prominently on the face, and the credo "big, red, sticky" near the mouth.
Popping the can doesn't release a rush of carbonation like a soda or macro beer. Not much of anything, sound-wise. Pours a deep reddish orange color topped by a small, creamy white head that leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. Aroma of sweet, bready malt mixed with tangy, piney hops. Palate is both sharply hoppy and syrupy sweet - a nice contradiction that takes some getting used to. The sweet malt hits up front before being enveloped and eventually overwhelmed by piney hops that come strong on the finish.
Body is thick and syrupy, something I usually dislike, but here I find it rather pleasant and very appropriate. After about half the can it does become kind of a chore to drink, but this is a pretty intense beer. Does my name proud.

ElGordo, Mar 23, 2007

12oz. can

Pours a slightly hazed orange amber with a creamy eggshell head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Citrusy and piney hops and a nice caramel maltiness also present. Smells nicely balanced and fresh.

Citrusy and piney, but with an underlying caramel malty flavor. Really well balanced for a DIPA, with plenty of hops to boot.

Medium-light body, good carbonation.

A solid DIPA with great balance makes this an easy drinking brew. Easy to enjoy more than one in a sitting, although $13 for a 4-pack is a little prohibitive when I can get comparable beers for $8-$10 for a six pack.

MaltyGoodness, Mar 20, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

served at Mad Mex in a 12 oz glass tumbler.

Cloudy,deep amber color,very creamy white head was served to the top of the glass,left a creamy coating down the glass. Lots of very tiny bubbles streaming tightly knitted together.

Sweet malty aroma,piney,and grapefruity, the aroma might have been a bit off with the glass it was served in and being filled to the top of the glass.

A very honeyed malt taste,syrupy grapefruit with a very good balance.Finished with a dry,puckering boozy feel, leaving a grapefruity/rind taste in your mouth.

Extra creamy and velvety smooth with some grainyness.The beer menu listed this beer at 9.2%.was very drinkable for that amount. Reminded me a lot of the Dales Pale Ale minus all the grapefruityness. A very good double IPA.
Worth a try.

jcdiflorio, Mar 18, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a very pretty amber with some darker brown depths. Tight-bubbled head that leaves a bit of lace. Fresh, green hop aroma with lots of pine notes backed by graham crackery sweet malts. On the palate, sharp acidic bite of hops first off, then some malty sweetness. Towards the end it gets considerably hotter with some raw alcohol and hop oils, which skew toward the piney side. There's some great length here -- the finish lasts a long time, and features some fruity citrus notes that aren't present in other parts of the palate. Big, rich mouthfeel with only light carbonation; the overall impression is heavy -- just shy of syrupy. Overall, this is a very good double IPA, with some good hop flavors, a nice balancing malt bill, and some smoothness. Quite drinkable and tasty.

geexploitation, Mar 17, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Ahh my second offering from Oskar Blues, and my favorite style, the Double IPA, lets see how they do.

Poured a deep, dark, hazy orange, with a very nice white head which faded down leaving a nice lace up the glass. Very nice pour from the can. The smell was a nice blend of citrus hops. Grapefruit and pineapple being the biggest players here with hints of tangerine and pine flavors. Alcohol also made its presence felt, tingling the nose a bit. The taste was nice and sweet, not overally so but well rounded sweetness. Nice citrus flavors again, pineapple and grapefruit. The alcohol again was noticeable, but as it warmed it was masked well by the flavors. Very nice bitter, dry finish, lingered and made you want more of it. The balance between the malt and hop flavors is very nicely done here, and the compliment each other well, and mask the high ABV nicely. Overall this was a very nice DIPA and another quality brew from Oskar Blues.

mikesgroove, Mar 16, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Clear amber..small head that laces.
Big pine forest aroma.
Very sweet caramel malt balanced well with piney bitter and minty menthol hops. Malts get more agressive as it warms up. Not tasting the 8.7% alcohol. Sneaky stuff.
Slightly cloying finish..medium body..low carbonation.
Goes down way too easy.

Hautacam, Mar 15, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

a - deep copper/rust color, big billowing white head with great retention and lacing, slightly hazy

s - big piney and grassy hop aroma, subdued malt backbone, slight hint of alcohol

t - like the aroma, big grassy hops up front, slight citrus, orange, nice maltiness in the middle with the finish being made up of big piney hops, not much alcohol detected, finish is long and bitter

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, not overly dry

d - pretty drinkable, finish isn't overly dry and the taste is interesting, alcohol not evident in the taste

Very good DIPA overall. I hope they start distributing this in NC pretty soon. The only complaint I have is the price...a bit too pricy in my opinion.

WeisGuy, Mar 12, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -9%

After trying the Oskar Blues Old Chub the other night, I am bound and determined to drink my way through all the rest of the OB beers. Tonight, we have the Gordon DIPA.

Pours well out of the can. Rich and creamy one-finger head atop an amber-hued body. The foam fades relatively quickly, but doesn't entirely dissolve. Wow, what an aroma for a DIPA! Smooth and sweet, but not the piney, citrusy aroma I have grown accustomes to associating with most big IPAs. This one has a very strong caramel presence in the bouquet. A bit musty too. Kinda like the Old Chub in both respects. They couldn't possibly use the same yeast strain for both the Chub and the Gordon could they? It's probably just the malts used. Either way, it creates a fantastic aroma and a pleasant surprise for an IPA of this magnitude. The hops are clearly present in the taste. Mellow and chewy, with a nice smooth hoppy bitterness. Some chocolate and coffee. Definitely some caramel seeping in at the edges. This is a fine IPA, but definitely not my favorite. They do a nice job masking the alcohol here, but it could really come back to haunt you if you're not careful. Overall, a nice beer, but I'd gladly take an Old Chub over this one just about any day.

Atlas1, Mar 07, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

This is one of the more easy drinking Double IPAs you will find. It is pleasant and approachable and yet full of hop flavor. While it may be middle of the road for DIPAs it is one of the best beer you will ever find in a can. How many 8.7% ABV Hoppy beers can *you* find in a can? Probably not a lot. I love this one and enjoy it every time. The interesting thing is when my BMC drinking freind stopped by this evening he looked in my drawer and said "what is that one? That looks more my speed." Why? WT_? that made no sense to me but he chose it and tried it and kind of liked it. =) Marketing in can. hmm. I Like craft beer in can regardless what anyone says.

Appearance: Pours clear copper with a white head.

Smell: Bitter pine hops. Spicy. hint of smokiness with a light caramel malt backbone.

Taste: Malty sweet and fruity, with loads of caramel. A solid citrus pine hop attribute but as DIPAs go this one borders on the balanced-to-sweet side of the scale. Pineapple and grapefruit and camel and more depth in a can than I have ever experienced. Gotta love it.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied beer, creamy and smooth.

Drinkability: I hope my brother-in-law Topher takes me fishing again this summer so I can bring a case of this stuff =) well at 8.7% maybe that is a bad idea. It goes down like it is much less but it could be dangerous.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Mar 06, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Wonderful look with nice pale colored head two fingers thick that sat high up and a red-orange slightly hazy base.

S: The smell is good and hop filled. You smell lots of malt and citrus, pine, grapefruit, pear, and dirt.

M: Heavy feel with the malts. Little carbonation which makes it too easy to drink.

T: Yum. That's it. I'm a fan of malty IPA's and this one does the trick. Really well balanced with hop vs. malt. Citrus front that blends with vanilla, orange, and a yeasty feel. Slight bitterness throughout that slims slowly. Red goodness from a can and at $10 a four pack I'm going to go broke.

MYJELLOMISFIT, Mar 05, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

I'm a big fan of Dale's Pale Ale so I had to try a four pack of Gordon even though it was $10.99. It poured a nice red color with a solid two inch head. Excellent hoppy aromas. The malt background did not give in to the high IBU's, nor did it create a warming flavor. I would say it is well balanced, but I typically like the hops to be a bit stronger than the malt in this style (e.g. Hercules Double IPA or 90 Minute IPA). A solid offering, but definitely not a session beer at 8.7% ABV. I still prefer Dale's Pale Ale as my standard.

ChrisA, Mar 04, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Beer pours a bright clear amber color, with a nice looking head.

Aromas are slightly sweet, bitter, and pine like.

Flavors are full, and well rounded. Beer has a clean and sweet malt flavor up front. It is slightly creamy character to it. The finish is a bit crisp, and with a somewhat bitter flavor. Flavors are a bit muted, there are good flavors, but they just seem to be a little dull.

Mouthfeel is very good on this one. Very full bodied.

I wish more brewers used cans. This is a good and tasty DIPA. And if this were available to me, I would take this camping and backpacking.

This great little can was courtesy of blitz134. Thanks!

flexabull, Mar 03, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Double IPA from a can? Now I've seen everything...
Pours with lovely colour and fairly substancial head. Clear but deep caramel amber colour. Incredibly hoppy aroma. Green and fresh hops. Certainly doesn't taste the almost 9%, balanced and plenty hoppy. Carbonation good, with bitterness well under control. Really nice composure. This drinks like a regualar IPA. Sterdy malt in the backbone, this is the best beer I've had from a can. Big thanks Harry!

biegaman, Mar 02, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Gordon pours a hazy reddish copper with a tan head that leaves a thick lace as it recedes. It came in a twelve ounce can. The aroma could be better and stronger. Taste on the other hand is nice, there is a strong caramel malt flavor and a strong resiny hop flavor balancing nicely against it. Best beer I've ever had out of a can, hands down. Definitely worth a try.

Drew966, Mar 02, 2007

Had this with lunch today at Capone's.

Dark amber color with a thin tan head. Loads of lacing worked down the glass.

Pine hops, grass, and toffee make up the aroma. Earthy, sweet scent that got stronger as it warmed up some.

The flavor was sweeter than I remember it was from the can. Not as sweet as a 90 minute, but close. Hops are the selling point, but they are balanced by the sweet, sugary toffee malts.

Very enjoyable, easy drinking DIPA.

Imstillthegman, Mar 01, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

12 ounce can poured into a 20 ounce nonic.

A - Pourrs out a fairly clear reddish amber with about a finger of off white head. Nice rings of lacing on the pint glass.

S - Hops come through with some citrus fruity aromas along with a flowery smell.

T - Taste is much more malty than expected. This really has a sweet taste of caramelly and biscuity malts with some hops providing some bitterness but mainly a nice balancing act is struck here. Finishes rather clean with a slightly sweet aftertaste.

M - Nice sticky, fairly full feel in the mouth.

D - Very drinkable. Not the type of flavor I expected but some nice tastes and very smooth feel make this one you'll like to sip on.

Notes: hmmm. Definitely unexpected flavorwise. I really wonder if this should be listed as more of an American strong ale or maybe an amber. Either way this is simply a tasty brew and definitely something nice to sip on for a while.

EStreet20, Feb 27, 2007

On tap at Capone's in Norristown...
Appears a semi-transparent dark amber with a light tan head that quickly fades out. Tons of scattered lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of pine, caramel, grassy, citrus, brown sugar...very sweet in the nose.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a bit of a raisin flavor going on in there as well. Again, it's very sweet, even bordering cloying with the pine and brown sugar. Not too bad but not knocking my socks off either.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, seemingly under-attenuated, fizzy, and sweet.
I was expecting a little more judging from some of the ratings but now that I look at the overall average...I guess my opinion isn't too far off base.

weeare138, Feb 26, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

First saw this beer a few weeks ago mixed with the quality beers at a local store. I'm embarrased to admit my first reaction was that of the typical ignorant consumer - "if it comes in a can it can't be that good" - and wondered how they could charge $3.50 a can while passing it over.

However, my curiosity was piqued, so I took the time to read some reviews here. After seeing the nice comments and ratings decided to pick one up. I know enough about beer to realize that there is nothing technically preventing a good beer from going in a can, so I now am embarrased by my initial reaction. Bravo to Oskar Blues for blazing a new trail - great craft beer in a can!

It's without a doubt the best beer I've ever had from aluminum. Has the hop character of a double IPA, but also has a huge, juicy malt character. Beautiful pieces of vanilla and butterscotch interplay with a delicate hoppy character. Really a nice beer.

Don't let the can and weird, generic-looking labeleing fool you. This is a wonderful beer worth seeking out.

marksto, Feb 24, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Dark caramel color. A touch cloudy and a little bubbly. Fat, fuzzy off-white head and thick lacing. Smells of heavy piney hops and booze.

Pleasantly balanced malt and mildly citrus hops taste. Dullish bitterness. No sign of all that alcohol. Very smooth mouthfeel, but it strays toward thin. Carbonation is pretty much absent.

The can adds real appeal. I'd love to show up somewhere with a sixer of this stuff, but it's so pricey in Wisconsin. An easy drinker for 8.7 percent ABV.

maundythirsty, Feb 22, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -14.3%

Just finishing my last sips as I write this. Had this one in a growler on tap at Beerkraft in Park Slope a few months back when it first came out and thought it exceptional. So I picked up a 4-pack.
Big hopped-up flavors and aroma...and that powerful alcohol feel measured up to the Dogfish 90-Minute. I'm drinking one from the can right now and it is not blowing me away with the balance I remember.
Aroma= floral, citrus, nice
Head= dense, leaving significant lacing on my glass, impressive
Taste= a little thinner than I remember, nice big hop bite in the finish but not a whole lot up front.as far a malt
Overall= I'd like to try this again on tap if I can ever find it.
Go out and try this...preferable at cellar temperature or about 55 degrees

djamieson, Feb 19, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

2/18/2007 $14.25 4 pack 8.70% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a lovely amber that is startingly clear and topped by a finger's worth of tight off-white head that clings to life for quite a while.

Aroma:

Thick resiny pine aromas coupled with wafts of grapefruit and English toffee. Notes of alcohol are apparent in the background.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Let this put any "beer in a can haters" to rest: this stuff rocks! Chewy, jammy sticks to your tongue mouthfeel introduces one heck of a hopbomb. Hop character leans heavily towards the herbal/pine flavors with just a touchy of grapefruit juice thrown into the mix. Beer is balanced nicely by a sweet (though muted) malt backbone.

Malts are biscuity and toffee in flavor, and pair beautifully with the harshness of the hops, to even everything out into a very enjoyable beer. Alcohol creeps in towards the finish, and warms throughout.

An excellent beer, though expensive at over $3.50/12 oz. Alcohol catches up to you after not too long, and so this is definitely not to be consumed in bulk.

cbl2, Feb 18, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a dark amber color with a thick sticky white head. The aroma is a perfect 5! There are fresh hops-a-plenty in the nose with a nice backing of sweet malt. Upon the first sip, the deliciously citrus and piney hops just explode in your mouth! Behind the delicious hops there is a very nice malt backbone that keeps you craving more. The mouthfeel is medium-full with a good amount of carbonation. Overall, this is certainly right up there with any of the top IIPA's in the world. Outstanding!

cjgator3, Feb 18, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

This is my first review of beer in a can. I can't believe I've never reviewed canned beer before. I was really excited to see this beer in Florida after reading about the resurgence of canned beer. And I can say this is the most expensive canned beer I've ever had.

It's a beautiful red with several inches of sticky head and plenty of carbonation.

It has a nice, pungent hop aroma that reminds me of Cascade hops. The aroma is more earthy-hoppy than citrus- or floral-hoppy, if that makes sense.

It tastes lovely: Plenty of malt sweetness is balanced by a sharp hop bitterness. There are biscuit flavors that interact with earthy notes and a bit of alcohol.

The body is light and crisp with just a bit of slickness from the alcohol.

Overall this is a fine Double IPA and even neater considering it's in cans. Bring this on your next fishing trip and surprise your buddies.

Shaw, Feb 13, 2007