Regular Coffee - Carton Brewing Company

Carton Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Cream Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: mikeburd1128 on 12-13-2013

A Classic Jersey-ism is "regular coffee." Here when you oder a "regular coffee" at any place you trust to make a pork roll and cheese you get a paper cup of coffee with "milk and 2 sugars" rather than a "black coffee that hasn't had the caffeine removed." Acidic bitter coffee flattened by milk and sweetened; the perfect foil for the salty unctuous savor of breakfast on a roll. For our homage to Jersey's breakfast beverage, we teamed up with our neighbors at Fair Mountain Coffee Roasters looking for an elevated version of classic crappy coffee. We chose Mexican Chiapas for its bitterness akin to artichoke, roasting it a little darker than usual, along with Ethiopian Sidamo for its pleasant lemon-like acidity, which we pushed up through fermentation. We added this coffee blend to a high gravity golden cream ale, contributing our "milk and 2 sugars." Drink Regular Coffee because running over a black beer with coffee is no way to get to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A ... 6WbvjLR1Kg
to view more.
Ratings: 438 | Reviews: 67
4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce can poured into an oversized snifter.

This beer was one I'd wanted to try for some time. So I'm pretty happy to be doing this review.

The beer pours a bright golden/amber color with a lot of fizziness. A surprising amount of fizziness. This settles and forms a fizzy yet substantial head that sits a bit foamy before becoming a lacy layer over the body. Plenty of carbonation continues to surge in the glass as I observe it. 4.25

Pretty magical how they got this aroma. There's a chocolatey and roast-y coffee aroma, subtle but there enough to be noticed and enjoyed. Beyond this is a sweet element that suggests even a chocolate with gooey orange stuff inside. This really just smells like some sort of sweet treat. Delicious. 4.25

Not much of a departure from nose to palate, but in a good way. Still getting faint citrus notes (Citra hops maybe?) light coffee notes with some chocolatey qualities, and an immense sweetness like a soda. A cream soda even. The lingering coffee flavor is exceptional, imparting caramel, toffee and chocolate in a delightful blend. 4.25

I have to say there's a bit of heat to this beer at the finish, not in a solvent-y way, but it does make the back of your tongue and mouth tingle. It's pretty unique and takes some getting used to. That aside, this is deliciously creamy and deceptionally easy-drinking. Where the hell is the 12%? Are you lying to me Augie Carton? Nah but seriously, this think drinks so easily, I could see myself "mistakenly" downing a sixer and waking up...scratch that...never waking up. 4

I'm a sucker for a unique beer and this brew is certainly unique. In a good way. Quite enjoyable. Hell, more than enjoyable. Delectable in certain ways.

2.78/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Maybe I'm not a fan of the style. This was extremely sweet. Little to no coffee detected. Tasted more like milk and sugar.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

.Too Sweet for my taste

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic!!! This beer has a great taste with a lighter color. Tastes amazing with a sweet after taste

3.67/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz can poured into a snifter

A- pours a hazy golden-yellow color with an orange hue, small foamy white head disappears almost immediately, leaving nothing behind

S- milky, sugary and creamy lactic sweet aroma, hints of caramel & herbal/earthy hop. The coffee is faint but does have some grassy, peppery & lemony aromas

T- creamy and sugary flavor up front with some milky lactic notes, hints of caramel, light herbal hop. The coffee is faint, but does add flavors of cocoa, herbal notes & some citrus acidity, alcohol ob the finish

M- heavy viscous body with moderate carbonation leads to a slightly foamy viscous mouthfeel that continues to a warming finish

O- an interesting concept with light coffee notes, other than that it's just a really boozy cream ale

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Saratoga City Tavern 3/31/15.

3.42/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz can poured into a can class. The brew appears a slightly hazed golden color with a white cap that retains well.

The smell is sweet with a touch of cocoa and caramel malt. A faint touch of herbal hops. The coffee is very muted but evident across the back with some grassiness.

The taste is sweet and boozy with some contrasting herbal hops that lasts well into the finish. Like the nose, a very faint coffee inclusion that i really dont think id otherwise notice except im looking for it. Hint of mild cocoa aftertaste mixed with grass or something herbal/vegetative.

This is medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. I get the imperial cream ale and think the idea is cool but im not really getting the coffee other than a bit of vegetative aspect. I think the concept is cool and I really wanted to like this but I think its a rare miss from carton.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

This is an outstanding brew. Easy drinking

2.98/5  rDev -29.6%

Way too sweet for my liking.

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Yeah. You'd fool me. Tastes exactly like oversweetened coffee with cream. Head even looks like a latte. It's a novelty but a good one. Really doesn't conform to any category. Cream ale? Warm, silky coffee stout? Not getting enough coffee astringency to be sure and edges too sweet.

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Way to sweet for me.. Coffee flavor was fun though.

3.51/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thick, amber, nice lacing. Smell is a little bit of cotton candy and something vegetal; no coffee coming through. As it warms, alcohol starts to pop. Flavor is sweet, vanilla taffy, where's the coffee? Thick, slick, a little cloying. Cold the alcohol is hidden but it comes out as it warms. I expected a novelty beer, but I also expected coffee. I got the former and not the latter. Glad I got to try it but this is my least favorite Carton beer thus far. I prefer the pumpkin scobeyville cream ale - which seems to come from the same general recipe - by a wide margin.

3.21/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Something was off to me.

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Possibly one of the most interesting beers I've ever gotten to try. Pours a light yellow with a white head that trails the glass. The smell is full of sweet cream and coffee. The taste was just like a coffee with two sugars and cream, I still don't know how they got that flavor with that color of beer. Still scratching my head over this one.

4.02/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: Hazy, dark gold body. Almost no head. Looks like an IPA but eventually drinks like a stout.
Smell: A little bit of roast/char and honey.
Taste: Whoa, this is unusual. Light char and honey. Almost syrupy. Very faint coffee taste. Very sweet.
Feel: Flat, but not bad.

Overall - Strong like me, the way I like it. Drinkability is hindered because of the over the tops sweetness and fullness. I give it a bump up for originality.

On tap Ganley's pub.
Great bitter coffee favor and smooth

3.11/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Very odd beer. I am glad I got to try it since it is just such a strange brew, overall. I do not get the high rating, however. It is not bad, but I think it is just ok. The coffee and cream ale style do not play well together, in my opinion. The smell is strange and has little coffee. The carbonation is nice and left nice lacing, but it is not a well-integrated beer.

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

I don't understand the hype here. It would be a solid imperial version of a cream ale, but I got absolutely no coffee from the aroma or the taste. Big disappointment considering all the high ratings.

2.71/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I agree with the naysayers on this one. I'm a big Carton fan, but I don't get the hype with Regular Coffee. Big and sweet, subdued coffee, looks flat. Meh. It definitely just tastes like an imperial cream ale, which is just something I'd never want.

Full disclosure. I'm from NJ, but I take my coffee black. Maybe this one just isn't for me. 077XX on the other hand...

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Sure it's an imperial cream ale with coffee, which makes it better than any other cream ale, but I don't get it. The hype with this one is weird.

The coffee flavor is so odd. It just tastes like carbonated coffee. Almost like pop like carbonation. I seriously can't figure this beer out it.

3.66/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy orange-gold hue with a thin band around the shoulders. Nose expresses light, toasted malts with some vegetal coffee notes. Taste is a bit strange - coffee, but lacking the full body and malt profile usually associated with coffee beers. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with an assertive carbonation. Overall, an interesting beer but not my thing - just not really feeling the Imperial Cream Ale thing.

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Overtly sweet, malty and hard to drink. It lacks carbonation. Heavy on the stomach, all cream and no coffee. It's like a malt liquor on steroids. No thanks!

3.11/5  rDev -26.5%

A: Golden yellow; a tad darker than the average cream ale, but with crisp clarity.

S: Food cart coffee; corny graininess; astringent alcohol presence.

T: Follows the nose. Unexpected (vis-a-vis the color) coffee punch up front, giving way to sweet creamed corn notes appropriate to the style. Alcohol is less prominent than on the nose, but a strong astringent kick lingers.

M: Slick, creamy, and full-bodied, with slight effervescence.

O: An unusual beer, and hard to score. Not much of a to-style cream ale; too strong, and (obviously) featuring a distinct flavor additive. But the corn-based sweetness and alcohol notes bring immediately to mind Genny cream ale. In the end, the flavors ultimately don't quite gel, with the unique sweet/coffee profile giving way to cheap, corny alcohol notes. Lower ABV might serve this brew well.

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from 12 oz can

A: Golden, almost orange. Good clarity with small amount of white head.

S: Scent was sweet and almost sour. The alcohol is present but not overpowering, contributing to sweetness.

T: Rich and sweet right up front. Almost overpowering sweetness. True to the concept of the beer, creamy, sweet and just a hint of coffee flavor. Slight nuttiness.

M: Thick and syrupy with appropriate carbonation. Lingering aftertaste, again true to the concept.

O: A nice novelty beverage but not something that would ever be sessionable. Shared this with the wife and both agreed a full pour would be tough to finish based on sweetness.

3.12/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Too sweet for my liking.

to view more.