1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Regular Coffee - Carton Brewing Company

Regular Coffee
No picture uploaded.

Carton Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Cream Ale |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mikeburd1128 on 12-13-2013)
View: Beers (30) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Regular Coffee Alström Bros
Ratings: 81 | Reviews: 8 | Show All Ratings:
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

Enjoyed at EBF 2014.

Color threw me off a bit as it's lighter than i expected, i like it when a brewery can surprise me. Light bodied, easy to drink and 12%? You bet! Gingery, coffee and milk flavor plus a creamy body make this one a winner in my book.

03-24-2014 16:55:47 | More by papat444
VelvetExtract

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A-EBF sample pour. Looks very interesting. Pours a lightly hazy yellow/orange hue. Creamy cap of foam. Rarely do you see a coffee-themed beer than isn't dark. Not a lot of pale coffee beers around.

S-Whoa, yeah that smells like sweet coffee. Genuine java. The "milk and 2 sugars" description is perfect.

T-A cup of iced coffee with "milk and 2 sugars". They did indeed nail the flavor. It's almost hard to comprehend the beer tasting the way it does with such an appearance. It's flavor is very straightforward.

M-Surprised to see the ABV coming in so high. I would have pegged it at around 8%. Medium bodied.

O/D-One of the more interesting beers from the EBF. A perfect beer to sample. I don't know how well I would do with a lot more of it. It' sure is interesting.

03-23-2014 21:53:30 | More by VelvetExtract
stinkboy13

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%

I was amazed when I had this. I could not believe how good it tasted.

A - It looked like a typical cream ale/pilsner style beer. I was expecting something darker with a name like Regular Coffee. Also, not much head to speak of. I was a little curious since I'm used to seeing more head develop on this type of beer.

S - Plenty of coffee aroma and cream. Spot on, I'd say. Made me apprehensive yet eager to give it a taste.

T - Dude really? This was amazing. Sweet malt up front, the finish was all coffee and cream. Not bitter black coffee, but something you beg your barista to make for you - just right - when you go to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. There is no booziness in the taste. The alcohol is very will hidden for such a high gravity brew.

M - This was smooth and creamy, as classified. Very easy to drink. Quite rich after a few pulls. Makes you want to have another cup, er, pint.

O - They did Jersey proud with this beer. Everyone up here knows what a "regular coffee" is. This one nails that description - coffee with cream/milk and two sugars. I wish my coffee each morning was this nice.

03-08-2014 09:54:02 | More by stinkboy13
RichardMNixon

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

5 oz. goblet at Pinocchio's

Not a color I see very often, very pale but distinctly brown-hued. Not much head, just some bubbles around the glass.

Smells like coffee and cream, incredibly. It's what they set out to do and they nailed it.

Taste is sweet malts, slight staleness, and a beautiful coffee finish.

My fiance was skeptical that we went out of our way for this, but ordered her own after trying mine. It really is as it's described.

03-03-2014 02:18:08 | More by RichardMNixon
WheelsPSU

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 ounce pour on nitro tap at St Gambrinus in Brooklyn. I finally got to try my first beer from Carton, which is a shame because I'm originally from the area.

Poured a honey cream/ pale straw color which about a half inch foam head. At first I thought they gave me the wrong beer as this looks like an inviting ale but then the smell hits...

Wow. Iced coffee with 2 sugars and milk. Not bitter black coffee but sweetened syrupy coffee. A little buttery in the nose as well.

Taste was great. More coffee and cream, sweet sugar, lactose, and syrup. Dunkin should put this at the drive up window.

Great job of hiding the 12% alcohol. Extremely light on the carbonation.

Overall this tasted like a smooth iced coffee from a national chain. Except it's a beer. A NJ cup of coffee with tons of sugar and cream in beer form. Where's my pork roll and cheese?

Serving type: nitro-tap

03-01-2014 14:05:59 | More by WheelsPSU
dar482

4.14/5  rDev -3.7%

The beer comes in an amber color.

The aroma smells of huge overly sweet coffee, like the syrup used in coffee drinks.

The flavor follows of a lightly roasted coffee drink, with a good amount of hazelnut or almond nuttiness. The beer has lots of sweetness of toffee and brown sugar. There's a hint of a creaminess that lingers around through the finish.

Alcohol is absolutely hidden on this one. Drinks more like a 7-8%. No signs of alcohol, possibly some warming, and pretty light bodied for 12%.

An interesting coffee brew that does not have the roasted malt and dark flavors associated with chocolate beers. It tastes more like a coffee syrup drink.

02-25-2014 22:29:14 | More by dar482
Mineo

4.96/5  rDev +15.3%

Rich mouth-feel reminds of Backwoods Bastard, while the taste reminds of both Cascade Oblique Coffee Blonde and Terrapin Wake n Bake. This is an excellent beer with no noticeable alcohol presence -- a great accomplishment at 12%. As a NJ native, this is an excellent emulation of the traditional NJ coffee -- creamy with some extra sugar added. The creamy mouth-feel was particularly awesome on this brew; I'd love to see more amped-up cream ales like this one that take advantage of malty goodness and coffee/cream flavors. Easily one of my favorite NJ brews. Hoping that Carton makes it available year-round, or starts distributing it in cans/bottles. That would be a dream come true. Again, awesome beer.

02-07-2014 02:44:29 | More by Mineo
BKBassist

This is an odd bird. I almost can't review it as a beer, as it had no beer qualities outside of appearance. Blindfolded I would have thought I was drinking a chilled coffee soda. The appearance gave no hint of this, it looked like a standard amber/dark golden cream ale.

If you look at this as something of an experimental brew, it surely succeeds in tasting exactly like coffee soda.

If you want something with any of the qualities of a beer outside of appearance, this is the wrong choice for you.

I felt middle of the road ratings were the only appropriate thing to give this, as I feel it probably is doing what it set out to do, but that thing is so odd. I'd rather no longer talk about this beverage.

02-06-2014 00:42:39 | More by BKBassist