Join our email list →

Carton Brewing Company
New Jersey, United States | website

Cream Ale | 12.00% ABV

Beer added by: mikeburd1128 on 12-13-2013

A Classic Jersey-ism is "regular coffee." Here when you oder a "regular coffee" at any place you trust to make a pork roll and cheese you get a paper cup of coffee with "milk and 2 sugars" rather than a "black coffee that hasn't had the caffeine removed." Acidic bitter coffee flattened by milk and sweetened; the perfect foil for the salty unctuous savor of breakfast on a roll. For our homage to Jersey's breakfast beverage, we teamed up with our neighbors at Fair Mountain Coffee Roasters looking for an elevated version of classic crappy coffee. We chose Mexican Chiapas for its bitterness akin to artichoke, roasting it a little darker than usual, along with Ethiopian Sidamo for its pleasant lemon-like acidity, which we pushed up through fermentation. We added this coffee blend to a high gravity golden cream ale, contributing our "milk and 2 sugars." Drink Regular Coffee because running over a black beer with coffee is no way to get to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A ... 6WbvjLR1Kg
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Regular Coffee Alström Bros
4.71/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Carton had an incredible ability to tell you exactly what your going to taste. This is best evidenced here with regular coffee. The sweetness and creamy flavors fill the mouth. But still allow for the malt character come through and had just the right bitterness you don't for get this is a coffee. It is what NJ is. Exactly what we say we are going to be. Drink it because it's good.

4.86/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I don't think this beer gets the credit it deseve's... truly one of a kind brew and it's amazing. Just the right amount of coffee flavor and it's extremely smooth for 12%.

3.74/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured 1/22/16, 12 oz can into a stemless hotel tumbler. Clear, orange-y amber in color. 1/8" head that quickly faded. Slightly slick, with minimal lacing. Aroma is of cold-brewed coffee, sweet malt, caramel, vanilla, toasted coconut. Lots of coffee in the flavor - rich, warm, moderately roast-y -as well as sweet, rich malt, almost starchy in character. Finishes clean and dry, with a slightly acidic, coffee-like finish. A little harshness, as well as some citrus character, emerge in the finish as it warms. Feel is thin and slick, like a much lower-gravity brew. This was much awaited - I felt lucky to get a four-pack - and a very nice way to spend part of an evening holed up in a hotel during the blizzard.

This is a nice beer, a noble or interesting experiment. It's good and unique. But it doesn't blow your socks off. Everybody does not a coffee stout. These guys have tried a coffee cream ale. It works. The coffee is not overwhelming and fits well with the underlying beer.

4.87/5  rDev +19.1%

I'm not sure what the guy a few reviews below mine was talking about. Too much alcohol and too sweet is NOT a good description of this beer. It's the complete opposite. If you bought 2 four packs and don't like it, then give me the other seven beers please. This goes down so smooth and it's shocking that its 12% ABV. Dangerous I tell you. The coffee is right there but doesn't overwhelm. It's pretty frickin awesome. No doubt get your hands on this. It's a winner.

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

If you're from NJ, you will love this. If you're not, who knows? Carton somehow canned the nostalgia of being at a NJ diner as a hopeful 20-something with this beer. Look is a rich golden color, no cloudiness, with a quickly dissipating foam head. It smells like a coffee mug at the Suburban Diner in Paramus... I don't know how they did it, but they did. Taste is a surprisingly good cream ale with that just-right coffee flavor and a bit on the sweet side, as NJ coffees go. Everything about this beer leaves me wanting more, but I have to remind myself that it's a 12% heavy hitter that will sneak up on me.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Fairly vigorous pour yields a 3/4 inch head. Initial nose yields an aroma of coffee which fades but comes back after a vigorous swirl. Gotta give 'em props for naming the beer for what it tastes like. Cream and 2 sugars!!! Mouthfeel is very nice as well! Wish I had another.

2.08/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz can poured into a 10oz snifter. Purchased from Carton, today. I've heard so much about this, I went out and bought 2 4packs.

Preface. I've never been a fan of Cream Ales, but occasionally, they hit the spot.

Color is a right on for a Cream Ale

Nose is of sugar and not much else

Taste. OMG its a Cream Ale loaded with alcohol! Where's the coffee? It's bitter for a Cream Ale, but no coffee. Halfway thru the can, I start picking up butterscotch, or Cream Soda. This stuff is WAY too sweet. If I wanted a soda laced with alcohol, I'd have gone to the bar and ordered a Cream Soda with grain alcohol. That's pretty much what this tastes like. Kudos for the butterscotch flavor.

Maybe if I age this for a few years it'll taste like beer. Dunno.

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz can poured into a Mad Elf snifter. Canned on 1/14/15 (yesterday!)

Pours a a vibrant orange color with just a thin ring of foam. Color is shockingly light for a coffee beer. Small bubbles slowly rise through the beer as if they are reluctant to reach the surface. Aroma is glorious - it smells just like coffee sweetened with cream and sugar.

First sip is amazingly sweet up front, with a lingering coffee flavor. No bitterness at all on the finish - very smooth. Alcohol is completely hidden, dangerously drinkable for 12% ABV.

Above all else, this beer is SWEET. I can see this getting cloying if the coffee flavor fades with time, but day-old this has a great balance of flavors. I've not had anything like this before, and it really works for me.

This beer is truly innovative and delicious to boot. I wish it was available year round.

4.98/5  rDev +21.8%

Well this is jersey coffee.. If your enjoy your coffee with cream and and sugar you'll love this.
This is better then an iced coffee the flavors are on point. I can drink this with my bagel and oatmeal.
If you don't drink coffee with cream then don't bother with it

4.86/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Heard really good things about this brew, so I traded for a can. Was a little concerned that the "can was old" by the time I got it, but very happy I gave it a shot! Pours out a medium golden hue with small white head. Smells like a creamy coffee. What really won me over is the taste. This is one of those few beers where the description on the can absolutely nails it. This tastes like a coffee I would drink, aka sweet. The cream ale goes so well with the coffee, and the sweetness of the malt acts like the sugar. This beer is supposedly 12%, but it simply does not seem that way to me.

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is one fine brew that caught me by surprise. I tried it only because I trust Carton - this is not normally a style I enjoy but this one is a winner. Fantastic flavor, one of the best coffee infused beers I've had - which is saying a lot. I normally prefer Stouts but damn this was tasty. Highly recommend. Another fin Jersey beer. Cheers

3.81/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Sampled a pour from a fresh 12 is can. Yellow orange in color and a bit hazy. Solid two fingers of fine white head. Coffee is present in the nose but not dominate. Malty sweetness is also apparent. Taste is as promised - milk sugar and smooth coffee. Strangely refreshing.

2.03/5  rDev -50.4%

Thanks to the Yogi Berra of traders (except for the deceased part) for this can as an extra. 12 oz. can split with my coffee-loving wife.

The pour is a shock, since I hadn’t read anything about the beer, & my racist tendencies lean towards this being a dark beer, not an IPA-looking thing. But there it is. To my surprise, this doesn’t smell like coffee but more like sweet honey. Hopslam. OK.

Regular Coffee is Weird, capital W. Nothing coffee-like in the aroma or the taste, Really sweet. Corn syrup. Sickly sweet. Where’s the coffee/roast? I don’t know.

False advertising & it gets dinged. Doesn’t taste like anything except a sugar high download, dinged for that. Not sure what happened to this beer, but it’s not a hit here. Not a beer I’d recommend to anyone.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Very good beer but doesn't really taste like coffee. Very high percentage for a cream ale but I wish that it tastes like coffee more because that would make it better

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

I surprised this is only an 89. I had this many times on tap and the can release from Feb earlier this year. Its really good but it is very sweet. Tastes like a coffee with cream and sugar.

4.07/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Kevincredible for the extra. Can to tulip.

A. Based on the name, not the color I was expecting. It pours a bright golden/copper color with an egg shell head. Head is fine bubble. Moderate to high carbonation.

S. Very aromatic with a very funky smell. It smells like a dank towel - not in a good ipa way.

T. There's that coffee. Very coffee forward but very creamy and sweet character, like it has cream and sugar. Well done. Damn this taste grows on you as you wish for another at the end. A hop bite at the end

M. Smooth, high carb, light body, moderate effervescence.

O. This is an interesting beer to say the least. I expected a dark ale with pseudo-coffee flavors. I got a beer that looks like an ipa, smells like a towel, and tastes like a creamy cup of coffee. Hey now, it works.

4.54/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - The beer was brown, akin to regular coffee.

Smell - The nose comes off like coffee with a slightly bitter angle. Perhaps some hops create this impression with the coffee.

Taste - The initial impression is sweet coffee. This is not Starbucks "coffee" with so much crap in it that it hardly resembles coffee. This has a real coffee taste. The coffee thickness is aligned with sticky molasses. There is also some bitterness from may be from hops. The impression ends with a sticky bubbly after.

Mouthfeel - The beer feels smooth with carbonation that seems just right for the style. Perhaps since I am used to coffee stouts, I wanted this to be thicker.

Overall - What a fantastic idea it is to make a cream ale with coffee. The 12% ABV is hardly noticeable. This beer is a must.

4.89/5  rDev +19.6%

I've drank NYC cart coffee for over 10 years. They obtain their coffee from the same supplier. They get their cups from the same supplier. They all make the coffee the same way barring special requests. 2 heaps of sugar, followed by coffee, and a good helping of whole milk. Enter Carton's regular coffee. They could have gone stout, the obvious path, but regular coffee is not dark. It is almost pale ale in color ;) the smell is of coffee, just like, you guessed it, regular coffee. The texture is identical to the creamy coffee I've been so familiar with. The taste is milky with coffee surrounding it, just like, you guessed it, regular coffee. There are dozens of beers I'd rather drink, but the mastery of craftsmanship, the vision so well executed, deserves all of the highest acclaims. I don't know how well people will enjoy this if they aren't regular cart coffee drinkers. But this is an incredible imitation of an actual cup of coffee. For you non-cartcoffee drinkers, try both side by side!

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce can poured into an oversized snifter.

This beer was one I'd wanted to try for some time. So I'm pretty happy to be doing this review.

The beer pours a bright golden/amber color with a lot of fizziness. A surprising amount of fizziness. This settles and forms a fizzy yet substantial head that sits a bit foamy before becoming a lacy layer over the body. Plenty of carbonation continues to surge in the glass as I observe it. 4.25

Pretty magical how they got this aroma. There's a chocolatey and roast-y coffee aroma, subtle but there enough to be noticed and enjoyed. Beyond this is a sweet element that suggests even a chocolate with gooey orange stuff inside. This really just smells like some sort of sweet treat. Delicious. 4.25

Not much of a departure from nose to palate, but in a good way. Still getting faint citrus notes (Citra hops maybe?) light coffee notes with some chocolatey qualities, and an immense sweetness like a soda. A cream soda even. The lingering coffee flavor is exceptional, imparting caramel, toffee and chocolate in a delightful blend. 4.25

I have to say there's a bit of heat to this beer at the finish, not in a solvent-y way, but it does make the back of your tongue and mouth tingle. It's pretty unique and takes some getting used to. That aside, this is deliciously creamy and deceptionally easy-drinking. Where the hell is the 12%? Are you lying to me Augie Carton? Nah but seriously, this think drinks so easily, I could see myself "mistakenly" downing a sixer and waking up...scratch that...never waking up. 4

I'm a sucker for a unique beer and this brew is certainly unique. In a good way. Quite enjoyable. Hell, more than enjoyable. Delectable in certain ways.

3.67/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz can poured into a snifter

A- pours a hazy golden-yellow color with an orange hue, small foamy white head disappears almost immediately, leaving nothing behind

S- milky, sugary and creamy lactic sweet aroma, hints of caramel & herbal/earthy hop. The coffee is faint but does have some grassy, peppery & lemony aromas

T- creamy and sugary flavor up front with some milky lactic notes, hints of caramel, light herbal hop. The coffee is faint, but does add flavors of cocoa, herbal notes & some citrus acidity, alcohol ob the finish

M- heavy viscous body with moderate carbonation leads to a slightly foamy viscous mouthfeel that continues to a warming finish

O- an interesting concept with light coffee notes, other than that it's just a really boozy cream ale

3.42/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz can poured into a can class. The brew appears a slightly hazed golden color with a white cap that retains well.

The smell is sweet with a touch of cocoa and caramel malt. A faint touch of herbal hops. The coffee is very muted but evident across the back with some grassiness.

The taste is sweet and boozy with some contrasting herbal hops that lasts well into the finish. Like the nose, a very faint coffee inclusion that i really dont think id otherwise notice except im looking for it. Hint of mild cocoa aftertaste mixed with grass or something herbal/vegetative.

This is medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. I get the imperial cream ale and think the idea is cool but im not really getting the coffee other than a bit of vegetative aspect. I think the concept is cool and I really wanted to like this but I think its a rare miss from carton.

4.24/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Yeah. You'd fool me. Tastes exactly like oversweetened coffee with cream. Head even looks like a latte. It's a novelty but a good one. Really doesn't conform to any category. Cream ale? Warm, silky coffee stout? Not getting enough coffee astringency to be sure and edges too sweet.

3.51/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thick, amber, nice lacing. Smell is a little bit of cotton candy and something vegetal; no coffee coming through. As it warms, alcohol starts to pop. Flavor is sweet, vanilla taffy, where's the coffee? Thick, slick, a little cloying. Cold the alcohol is hidden but it comes out as it warms. I expected a novelty beer, but I also expected coffee. I got the former and not the latter. Glad I got to try it but this is my least favorite Carton beer thus far. I prefer the pumpkin scobeyville cream ale - which seems to come from the same general recipe - by a wide margin.

4.29/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Possibly one of the most interesting beers I've ever gotten to try. Pours a light yellow with a white head that trails the glass. The smell is full of sweet cream and coffee. The taste was just like a coffee with two sugars and cream, I still don't know how they got that flavor with that color of beer. Still scratching my head over this one.

Regular Coffee from Carton Brewing Company